WBC sweepstake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBC sweepstake

Ok, so a couple of months ago, when the soccer world championship was on, I played a sweepstake with my friends. The buy-in was 10 euros, and the pot was around 200 euros.
    I stopped playing after Serbia lost to Australia, as I got very pissed off.
    Right now, we are doing the same, but for the WBC.
    I will probably behave the same if Serbia loses to Australia in group stage, and if Maric scores more than 50 points in that game.

Basically, the rules are simple.
    You try to guess the result of each game of WBC.
    A correct prediction of the winner earns you one point. If you guess the correct number of points for a team, and if your prediction is in a close range, say {-5, +5}, you earn an additional 1 point.

For example:
    If your prediction for the game Serbia - USA is 68:61, and the actual score is 70:65, you earn 3 points.
    On the other hand, if the actual score is 72:39 for Serbia, you earn only 2 points.

Now I know that we cannot actually bet any money on this board, but that does not mean we cannot have any fun.
    The winner of the sweepstake will gain the respect of all the members of the board. Perhaps the admin could grant the member a special title? Instead of *Senior* *Junior* Member it could say "Big Cheese", "Meister", "Padrino", or something similar.

Any takers?
    If you have any other ideas on how we should play this sweepstake, let me know, because my friends and I are not really sure if these rules will work. It's almost impossible to guess the right number of points in basketball.
    In soccer it's possible, because it's a very boring game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81bcjyfn6U

Originally posted by honeybadger View Post
    Ok, so a couple of months ago, when the soccer world championship was on, I played a sweepstake with my friends. The buy-in was 10 euros, and the pot was around 200 euros.
    I stopped playing after Serbia lost to Australia, as I got very pissed off.
    Right now, we are doing the same, but for the WBC.
    I will probably behave the same if Serbia loses to Australia in group stage, and if Maric scores more than 50 points in that game.

Basically, the rules are simple.
    You try to guess the result of each game of WBC.
    A correct prediction of the winner earns you one point. If you guess the correct number of points for a team, and if your prediction is in a close range, say {-5, +5}, you earn an additional 1 point.

For example:
    If your prediction for the game Serbia - USA is 68:61, and the actual score is 70:65, you earn 3 points.
    On the other hand, if the actual score is 72:39 for Serbia, you earn only 2 points.

Now I know that we cannot actually bet any money on this board, but that does not mean we cannot have any fun.
    The winner of the sweepstake will gain the respect of all the members of the board. Perhaps the admin could grant the member a special title? Instead of *Senior* *Junior* Member it could say "Big Cheese", "Meister", "Padrino", or something similar.

Any takers?
    If you have any other ideas on how we should play this sweepstake, let me know, because my friends and I are not really sure if these rules will work. It's almost impossible to guess the right number of points in basketball.
    In soccer it's possible, because it's a very boring game.
    There is a very similar game that is played in every major competition in this forum but yours is maybe better
    sigpic
    GERA ELLADARA MOU!!!!!

Comment

Instead of the exact result, we do it by saying who wins by +5, +10 and +20. Giving more points if you are right.

Comment

Ι suggest we do something like this:
        1 point 4 predicting the winner and bonus points 4 predicting the final difference within a margin of 5 as following:
        If the predicted difference is at +5 or -5 of the real one, we get 1 extra point(total of 2 points). If it is at +4 or -4, we get 2 extra points(total 3) etc. If we predict the exact difference, we get 10 bonus points.
        I also suggest we get negative points(-1) when we predict a victory of the favorite and that team loses and 0 points when we predict a victory of the underdog and our team loses.
        So 4 example when Greece plays with Russia and the score is 83-70 for Greece, someone who predicted +11 for Greece gains 5 points(1 for the winner and 4 bonus for being at -2 from the actual difference), someone who predicted +6 for Greece gains 1 point(as he is at -7 from the actual difference and therefore out of the {-5,+5} margin) and someone who predicted a Russia victory gains 0. Now if Russia wins(and I suppose we can safely assume that Greece would b the favorite at this game), anybody who predicted a victory 4 Greece loses 1 point.

I hope I'm being understood and I didn't confuse anybody.
        Your time is up my time is now,
        you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

Comment

Originally posted by T.W.Is.M. View Post
          1 point 4 predicting the winner and bonus points 4 predicting the final difference within a margin of 5 as following:
          If the predicted difference is at +5 or -5 of the real one, we get 1 extra point(total of 2 points). If it is at +4 or -4, we get 2 extra points(total 3) etc. If we predict the exact difference, we get 10 bonus points.
          I also suggest we get negative points(-1) when we predict a victory of the favorite and that team loses and 0 points when we predict a victory of the underdog and our team loses.
          So 4 example when Greece plays with Russia and the score is 83-70 for Greece, someone who predicted +11 for Greece gains 5 points(1 for the winner and 4 bonus for being at -2 from the actual difference), someone who predicted +6 for Greece gains 1 point(as he is at -7 from the actual difference and therefore out of the {-5,+5} margin) and someone who predicted a Russia victory gains 0. Now if Russia wins(and I suppose we can safely assume that Greece would b the favorite at this game), anybody who predicted a victory 4 Greece loses 1 point.

am of certain age and you lost me...
          sigpic
          GERA ELLADARA MOU!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by g.g View Post
            am of certain age and you lost me...
            I'll explain by pm in greek.

Comment

Originally posted by T.W.Is.M. View Post
              I like this idea a lot. Everything apart from getting negative points. There really isn't any need for that. It does not affect the game that much, it just sounds like overtime. I think I will use these rules when I play the sweepstake with my friends.

Yeah, i think this really does not sound like a game we can play on the forum. It all depends on how many players we will have. More than 50 would require a database... Unless everyone does the calculations for themselves.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81bcjyfn6U

Comment

I like this idea a lot. Everything apart from getting negative points. There really isn't any need for that. It does not affect the game that much, it just sounds like overtime. I think I will use these rules when I play the sweepstake with my friends.

Yeah, i think this really does not sound like a game we can play on the forum. It all depends on how many players we will have. More than 50 would require a database... Unless everyone does the calculations for themselves.
                During the EL season Billy Bounce did all the calculations. Not manually of course. He probably has a ready database.
                I proposed the negative points in order 2 give motivation 2 a user 2 predict an underdog's victory. Think about this: USA vs Brazil, logic says that USA will win easily. The final difference can b 10-15 points, but it can also b 30, so it's difficult 2 give a prediction within the {-5,+5} margin. Many users will get just 1 point 4 predicting the easy one, USA wins. But what if Brazil makes the big upset? Shouldn't we reward the person who predicted this correctly? Why should the prediction in favor of Brazil count as much as the one in favor of USA?
                Anyway, if u don't like negative points, we can have the same influence by giving 2 points for predicting an underdog's victory instead of 1.

Comment

It looks interesting! But it's a very improbable game, tough...
                  https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Comment

My, my...aren't you an optimist?

I'll join as soon as you guys settle on the competition style.
                    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

WANTED: Billy Bounce
                      5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
                        Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
                          OK, let's give a wildcard 2 Israel now!!!

Comment

So is there going to be a predictions game? anyone?

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information