PDA

View Full Version : New "Mediterranean League"

FIBA Europe Basket
07-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I heard that the owners of Olympiacos are working on starting a new big international league, called the "Mediterranean League".

The goal of the new Mediterranean League is to replace the Spanish ACB League as the premiere regional/domestic league in Europe and to improve the level and quality of competition for the clubs participating in the league, versus what they currently have in their national domestic leagues.

The new league would include clubs such as Lottomatica Roma, Armani Milano, Montepaschi Siena, Olympiacos Piraeus, Panathinaikos Athens, Aris Thessaloniki, Fenerbache Ulker, Efes Pilsen, Maccabi Tel Aviv and others.

The clubs would also have to play their home games in a 5,000 seat arena.

frodoborg
07-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Yes, I have seen this here and on talkbasket. But what is the source of this information? I mean, is this something Greek press is discussing?

koursaros7
07-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I heard that the owners of Olympiacos are working on starting a new big international league, called the "Mediterranean League".

Ex FIBA Europe Vassilakopoulos is the owner of olympiacos? :D

on the spot as always :rolleyes:

pomahnitali gnat
07-29-2010, 01:03 PM
This was mentioned in our media and they said that our teams (or just Partizan) could probably be invited to participate. If this is true, it would be awesome, cause we could finally ditch the circus aka Adriatic league.

Gonzaka
07-29-2010, 01:22 PM
The goal of the new Mediterranean League is to replace the Spanish ACB League as the premiere regional/domestic league in EuropeI think it's absurd to create an international league for only this goal...

Kwijibo
07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
I think it's absurd to create an international league for only this goal...

I think that multimillonaire owns of oly are jealous because his team doesn't play in the best league of europe

Gonzaka
07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
I think thhan multimillonaire owns of oly are jealous because his team doesn't play in the best league of europeIsn't it the Euroleague?

Kwijibo
07-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Isn't it the Euroleague?

Yes i forgot it

koursaros7
07-29-2010, 09:07 PM
I think it's absurd to create an international league for only this goal...

I think that multimillonaire owns of oly are jealous because his team doesn't play in the best league of europe

Do you both understand that you took for granted something FIBA Europe Basket said, without providing any facts or links for his claims as always? :rolleyes:

Fact number 1 is that this league is a plan of ex-Fiba europe president Vassilakopoulos, and oly's owners have nothing to do with that.
Vassilakopoulos is not the most popular guy for oly...

Fact number 2 is that the purpose is to create a league where a big number of teams from various national leagues with little competition, will be able to participate in a strong competitive league.

The regular season of the greek league have nothing to offer to oly or pao.
The same with the italian league and sienna etc.

the purpose is to create a league where these teams will be able to face strong competition during regular season, and to participate only in the play-offs of their national leagues.

Nothing to do with oly's owners and "replacing" ACB or any other delusions of FIBA Europe Basket...

alermac
07-30-2010, 04:21 PM
the purpose is to create a league where these teams will be able to face strong competition during regular season, and to participate only in the play-offs of their national leagues.
That would kill those national leagues.

koursaros7
07-30-2010, 08:29 PM

They are already dead...
On the contrary, i think its an interesting idea, because that would give some interest to the other teams who now can't compete with the bigger teams in regular season.
The teams from "Mediterranean League" will skip the regular season and participate only in the play-offs...

In the greek league for example, except maroussi and sometimes aris/paok/panellinios/panionios, all other teams can't compete with oly and pao not even for a quarter...

I mean the games go up to 30, 40 points difference...
I have a season ticket for oly's games, and very often i'm thinking "does it worth it to spend 2 hours of my life and go to SEF to watch the game against e.g olympia larissa"?

And i guess sometimes the players are thinking the same thing, as quite often they look bored to death :D

I don't know exactly how things work in the other leagues, but i guess its pretty much the same for maccabi in israel, sienna in italy etc.

alermac
07-31-2010, 05:09 PM
They are already dead...
I mean, the leagues might be on a competitive crisis, and making such a move in a bad financial time for Europe can lead to sponsors and TV losing even more interest and an even deeper crisis for the rest of the clubs.

The Saint
08-01-2010, 01:46 AM
I mean, the leagues might be on a competitive crisis, and making such a move in a bad financial time for Europe can lead to sponsors and TV losing even more interest and an even deeper crisis for the rest of the clubs.

Sorry for intervening in your conversation, but even though this might be partially true i can see positive things coming out of that..The small clubs will have to switch on production of young players, and teams like oly-pao-aris-paok who have strong fanbases will compete to a strong mediterranean league and give their fans a boost to go and see them :)
If you notice in the euroleague games where competition is stronger oly and pao have big attendances and some days later in ESAKE games their numbers are much much lower :)
You have to be a really fanatic basketball fan to go and watch olympiacos-trikala and panathinaikos-kavala.. Some of us are such fanatic basketball fans that we stay awake until 4 o'clock in the morning to watch college basketball but let's be honest - that is not a normal behavior :p

Red 7
08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Isn't it the Euroleague?

The reason why there is an idea to create a Mediterranean league can only be explained if you watch the Greek championship finals. Its commonly recognised that almost every crucial game between Olympiacos and Panathinaikos also involves extremely hostile refereeing (this is a huge topic). In the end of the championship this year, the owners of Olympiacos where thinking of leaving the Greek league and joining the Adriatic league.... it is because of the frustration with the referees. This is why there is talk about a Med league...

Red 7
08-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Not necessarily... if you look at how the Adriatic league works it is in conjunction with domestic leagues where points carry over... i don't know exactly how it works though as I am unfamiliar with the mechanics and admin of the adriatic league.

Fedfan
08-19-2010, 05:40 PM
this idea is awful.It would kill the domestic championships once and for all with no hope of ever coming back.
Ok,Maybe the rest of greek teams are not strong,but they are still teams and there is the only chance of ppl who don't live in the two big cities to watch some high level bball.
It will also make euroleague so much less exciting-since it will be almost the same with med league.
I'm fully against this idea and hope it just remains a wild dream of Vassilakopoulos.
This is a plan in completely the wrong direction to make basketball stronger in Greece imo.

s-e-e
09-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Hmmm hard desicion. The idea sounds great in one way. Only that I would prefer it to be expanded including the entire continent. I mean just imagine, a league that contains the best teams in europe, kind of like NBA version of europe. With 18-20 teams. There will be no euroleague and this league will be over all. The teams attending this continental league or however it would be called will not participate in local leagues. The local leagues will be like 2nd division leagues of the continental league, with teams competing to take part in the continental league. I would have loved it if it was like this. Sounds great in one way. On the other hand yes I agree local leagues would totally die. It's bad but nothing like the end of the world. I mean look at the current situation, in Turkey everybody knows it will again be an efes-fb ülker playoff final. Any combination apart from that would be a surprise. Perhaps the same is true in Greek league for oly and pao. Taking some top teams out and gathering them in a different league over all the leagues, yes it sounds exciting. Might be worth trying but as someone has mentioned there's no turning back from it.

pablonis
09-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Pointless...

leb-basket
09-16-2010, 09:59 AM
it's a very nice idea though it would kill national leagues for sure.
Without strong national leagues you can't build strong players. For instance if your best teams particiapted in such a tournament no one will follow the national league anymore some teams and all those rich guys supporting the other teams will just quit basketball. Your national team will slowly get destroyed. I mean a team of half foreigners can't build a true national team. A championship would be better.

I hope one day one of our teams will get invited. We have riyadi/sagesse/mouttahed able to participate and somehow compete in the early stages as a beginning. It will surely improve our game. But once again talking as a championship and not a league. Or else gd by lebanese basketball.

qiangdade
01-11-2011, 10:32 PM
I am guessing most of you have heard of the mediterranean league project. here is a an updated detailed article. (http://www.talkbasket.net/news/mediterranean-league-3981.html)

Roy M
01-11-2011, 10:50 PM
I hope that it will happen.
Not only the Greek League is dead. The Israeli's one, too.

I wish that MTA will leave the Garbage League here and joing the Mediterranean League.

s-e-e
01-12-2011, 06:40 AM
I am guessing most of you have heard of the mediterranean league project. here is a an updated detailed article. (http://www.talkbasket.net/news/mediterranean-league-3981.html)

No Italian teams, no French teams. Let's call it 'eastern mediterenean league'

FIBA Europe Basket
01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
So the 12 teams to start for the Mediterranean Basketball Association (MBA) will obviously be:

1. Panathinaikos
2. Olympiacos
3. Aris
4. Fenerbahce
5. Efes
6. Besiktas
7. Partizan
8. Maccabi Tel Aviv
9. Hapoel Jerusalem
10. Keravnos
11. Qhatari champions
12. Lukoil Academic

That is a much better league than the Spanish ACB League.

SunOverHStreet
01-14-2011, 01:50 AM
This league will never happen... I don't know from where enthusiasm comes from?

Victorious
01-14-2011, 07:59 AM
I truly don´t understand some people´s lack of vision. The Med League is a great a idea. The only way fans can see high level competitive basketball throughout the year.

The smaller national leagues will become more competitive because the giants will be playing in their own league. Simple as that.

If people in those countries want to see high level basketball, they´ll have to go to a big city. It´s normal.

Gonzaka
01-14-2011, 10:12 AM
I like the idea and I hope it would be a reality. But better an "Eastern Med League" as s-e-e said.

Edit: 12 teams are few...

I've got a question. Isn't there any option for the teams to not skipping the regular season of their leagues? As in Baltic...

s-e-e
01-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I like the idea and I hope it would be a reality. But better an "Eastern Med League" as s-e-e said.

Edit: 12 teams are few...

I've got a question. Isn't there any option for the teams to not skipping the regular season of their leagues? As in Baltic...

I really don't know how the regulations will be if the organisation would ever come real, but I personally think the contending teams should be totally out of their local leagues. Because this league aims;
1) to gather top teams of the region to create a higher quality league
2) to bring competition back to local leagues, those seem to be
turkish, greek and israeli leagues.

To be honest I don't think it will be very attractive where bulgarian, cypriot etc teams will be involved (no offending) but no italian or french.

Jon_Koncak
01-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Why would turkish teams want to join?Turkish league is quite competitive nowadays,no?

pohani komarac
01-14-2011, 12:13 PM
The smaller national leagues will become more competitive because the giants will be playing in their own league. Simple as that.

yes, but it will be very week league, getting worse evrey year

trough adriatic league expiriance gap betwenen nlb teams and those in national league is incrising evry year, and not because nlb teams are much better, but because teams from national league are getting worse. that makes national basketball depend on 2-4 clubs. in croatia in last 3 years there was only one lose of nlb team, and that wose broke split, whille loses with 50 points becoming normal fore those in nlb. nlb cose lack of intrest in national league, players in league that play there don't have proper competition so thy develop worse and slower, whille sponsors don't show intrest to invest in clus so avreage players that could be ok in such a league rather go to some other leagues like slovaki, poland, or 2nd french league etc...same situation is in serbia.......now our countries are to small to have strong domestic leagues so one nlb is logic solution and with adding 2nd league things should gett better trough years and base will incrise to 4-8 clubs, from 2-4 wich is ok for small countries like ours.......but i see big problems i big countries like greece or turkey

Jon_Koncak
01-14-2011, 12:25 PM
and sth else.Pao-Osfp wednesday's game had HUGE ratings,like 1.5 millions viewers.Couldn't believe it when i read it.Euroleague games which are broadcasted by the same station come nowhere near this.Good luck attracting this kind of viewers for a regular season mediterranean league game.

SunOverHStreet
01-14-2011, 12:27 PM
I truly don´t understand some people´s lack of vision. The Med League is a great a idea. The only way fans can see high level competitive basketball throughout the year...
I'm personally for this league, but the problem (the most important one) are dates. When it will be played?
It means these teams will have to pull out from their parent leagues, 'cause I don't see how they gonna make to play three leagues in the same time. So, ESAKE and BBL (as I see, they are giving the most club here) will have to be asked. And I'm sure they don't like the idea.
Especially ESAKE, as a member of ULEB, surely can pull some unwanted calls if something doesn't go in their favor. PAO and Olympiakos appreciate Euroleague more than any of these mentioned here, so the question is will they be ready to sacrifice it for project like this.

1. Panathinaikos
2. Olympiacos
3. Aris
4. Fenerbahce
5. Efes
6. Besiktas
7. Partizan
8. Maccabi Tel Aviv
9. Hapoel Jerusalem
10. Keravnos
11. Qhatari champions
12. Lukoil Academic

I would love to ask Fiba, how on earth you think that Partizan will play in it?
'Cause I don't see them abandoning NLB, nor Serbian league...

janos
01-14-2011, 01:05 PM
I would love to ask Fiba, how on earth you think that Partizan will play in it?
'Cause I don't see them abandoning NLB, nor Serbian league...

It's easy if you can identify the alterior motives of Vassilakopoulos (the master mind behind this project).
The guy wants to create an axis of old allies,namely the Turkish,Bulgarians,Israelis,Serbs,Cypriots and of course Greeks against the new leadership of FIBA Europe who brushed him aside.
These allies in turn are very much interested in creating an opposite pole to the westerners currently in charge of FIBA EUROPE and that includes the once mighty in administrative terms Serbs.

Personally i don't see Partizan, or any other team abandoning its parent league.After all Europeans are sensitive on historical matters.
They'll probably follow the example of the teams currently participating in the Adriatic League.

s-e-e
01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Why would turkish teams want to join?Turkish league is quite competitive nowadays,no?

I don't know if they do. This topic is nothing popular in turkish sports media. But about TBL being competitive, well, I think it's just one step better than the greek league in that meaning. If we make a poll asking the team to get the trophy this year, would there be anyone saying anything besides Efes and Fener. It's just that TBL have more teams which look like challenging these two, beating them sometimes.

Ooops, Efes is on the way to join the challengers, perhaps Fener will be Maccabi of TBL in a few years, who knows.

Jon_Koncak
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah,i don't think there is a european league where there are more then 3 clear cut favorites for the title.Competion is all that matters,and judging by the results of the TBL there is plenty there.Greek League has come to a point where each game serves as nothing more than a hard practise for Oly-Pao

ArnoldPettybone
01-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Big article on the subject at a leading Israeli economy site that also deals in sport. Google translate is kinda funny as always, but if anybody's interested:
http://www.calcalist.co.il/sport/articles/0,7340,L-3481462,00.html

Roy M
01-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Big article on the subject at a leading Israeli economy site that also deals in sport. Google translate is kinda funny as always, but if anybody's interested:
http://www.calcalist.co.il/sport/articles/0,7340,L-3481462,00.html

Very good article.
The auther is Yaron Arbel, who has a blog in the official Euroleague site every week.

Khalid80
01-15-2011, 06:51 AM
I don't want to involve politics in this thread but from what I see it definitely plays a big role....
At the current moment I don't believe this tournament will take place mainly because I can't imagine seeing the Israeli and Turkish teams playing against each other at their home courts... (The Bnei Hasharon game directly comes to mind)

Also.... Qatar is a Gulf State and does not border the Mediterranean and the only reason they probably won't mind this is because they have the best relations with Israel (if compared to the other Arab Mediterranean countries (Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco and Libya...:cool:)

Having the Lebanese and Egyptian bball champions playing in this league would definitely have been nice.

cscarlos
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
I don't want to involve politics in this thread but from what I see it definitely plays a big role....
At the current moment I don't believe this tournament will take place mainly because I can't imagine seeing the Israeli and Turkish teams playing against each other at their home courts... (The Bnei Hasharon game directly comes to mind)

Also.... Qatar is a Gulf State and does not border the Mediterranean and the only reason they probably won't mind this is because they have the best relations with Israel (if compared to the other Arab Mediterranean countries (Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco and Libya...:cool:)

Having the Lebanese and Egyptian bball champions playing in this league would definitely have been nice.
in worst case the game will be played in neutral country like cyprus.
by the way how strong is the level of bball in lebanon and the arabic leagues? their top teams can be competitive in the
Mediterranean league.?

sagenas
01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
by the way how strong is the level of bball in lebanon and the arabic leagues? their top teams can be competitive in the
Mediterranean league.?

Low level. I don't think they would be very competitive... I saw UAE some kind of final where Al Wasl played against other teams which name I can't remember...level was very low, IMO, even worst LKL teams play better. I don't know if Lebanon and other countries are better (I think they are) but difference shouldn't be that high.

FIBA Europe Basket
01-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Low level. I don't think they would be very competitive... I saw UAE some kind of final where Al Wasl played against other teams which name I can't remember...level was very low, IMO, even worst LKL teams play better. I don't know if Lebanon and other countries are better (I think they are) but difference shouldn't be that high.

Qatari clubs are looking to start signing NBA players (especially during the NBA lockout). Just like they have been recently signing European football players. The clubs from Qatar have loads of money to spend on NBA players if they are allowed in the new Mediterranean League.

sagenas
01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Qatari clubs are looking to start signing NBA players (especially during the NBA lockout). Just like they have been recently signing European football players. The clubs from Qatar have loads of money to spend on NBA players if they are allowed in the new Mediterranean League.

Question is would they want to play in Qatar :D

Billy Bounce
01-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Despite of being sick and tired of Maccabi crushing BSL teams 30+ average , I don't see any future for this Mediterranean league

The main reason : playing in two international leagues would require a lot of travel -> twice a week. One day for the flight and recovery , second day - game , third day - flight home and recovery. Having 2 games a week , means 2*3=6 days a week of non-stop travel :rolleyes:

Of course it maybe synchronized with EL/EC schedule to ensure no 2 road game in the same week, but it's a very tricky task and not always possible.

Besides , after watching enough VTB league, I could tell that there no high intensity play-offs style atmosphere , usually it's "no defense" summer league games with players trying to figure out what the heck they're playing for :D

Khalid80
01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Mediterranean league.?

The level of bball in Lebanon is constantly improving (at least this can be said of our League this year since it's very competitive and we have very good imports that have signed to play in the Lebanese League this season).

(Just for comparison regarding imports for your info.... Lee Nailon played in the Lebanese league 3 years ago and he was a good import player but not the best we've seen in Lebanon)

Other Arab leagues.... In Syria it's fine but not at it's best... Jordan's league since there's no financing is now in a very bad situation.

As for our top teams being able to be competitive in the Mediterranean League definitely that's a no-no :D. I mean we can't compete with any of the teams that were mentioned. The best Lebanese team could maybe compete against the worst teams in A1 in Greece and TBL Turkish league.
Considering that the Israeli league is not as strong as Greek or Turkish league I do believe that the Lebanese champions can compete against the good teams in the Israeli league "hypothetically speaking" (definitely excluding Maccabi Tel Aviv).

We could probably also compete with Keravnos and Lukoil Academic but that's it.

pohani komarac
01-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Besides , after watching enough VTB league, I could tell that there no high intensity play-offs style atmosphere , usually it's "no defense" summer league games with players trying to figure out what the heck they're playing for :D

nlb league is played with intesity.....because it brings lot of things to clubs (besides nymburk)...so if this and vtb league should bring something besides glory and fame

Billy Bounce
01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
nlb league is played with intesity.....because it brings lot of things to clubs (besides nymburk)...so if this and vtb league should bring something besides glory and fame

Adriatic league is a success because it's a direct successor of Yugoslav League : you guys are still fighting your old battles.

If it was something unrelated and artificial like VTB , let's say Cibona, Nymburk, Prokom, Azovmash , Zadar , Kalev ; I doubt it would generate the same public interest as Adriatic League

Besides, IIRC all NLB league teams are within 3-4 hours of a bus ride : the meaning - no flights and renting hotels needed .

pohani komarac
01-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Adriatic league is a success because it's a direct successor of Yugoslav League : you guys are still fighting your old battles.

If it was something unrelated and artificial like VTB , let's say Cibona, Nymburk, Prokom, Azovmash , Zadar , Kalev ; I doubt it would generate the same public interest as Adriatic League
Besides, IIRC all NLB league teams are within 3-4 hours of a bus ride : the meaning - no flights and renting hotels needed .

sure nobady would care (and doesn't for nymburk) for kalev, avzomash...but did for maccabi

and sure our past positive and negative surle efects (suprisingley mostley positive as basketball was always something else here) itrest and itensity, but tot crutial. at first some old rivalys were relived (many of them were boycoting league), but then evryone stoped care about league untill leuge established national standings, point system for euroleague, way to play eurocup and last club droping out....and is developing...now all games are broadcasted, 2nd league should be opend and more and more people recognize this as positive stuff

cscarlos
01-28-2011, 11:01 AM
The level of bball in Lebanon is constantly improving (at least this can be said of our League this year since it's very competitive and we have very good imports that have signed to play in the Lebanese League this season).

(Just for comparison regarding imports for your info.... Lee Nailon played in the Lebanese league 3 years ago and he was a good import player but not the best we've seen in Lebanon)

Other Arab leagues.... In Syria it's fine but not at it's best... Jordan's league since there's no financing is now in a very bad situation.

As for our top teams being able to be competitive in the Mediterranean League definitely that's a no-no :D. I mean we can't compete with any of the teams that were mentioned. The best Lebanese team could maybe compete against the worst teams in A1 in Greece and TBL Turkish league.
Considering that the Israeli league is not as strong as Greek or Turkish league I do believe that the Lebanese champions can compete against the good teams in the Israeli league "hypothetically speaking" (definitely excluding Maccabi Tel Aviv).

We could probably also compete with Keravnos and Lukoil Academic but that's it.
just to understand, how high the top teams budget can get there?

i know,we (israel) are very lucky to play in
european competitions...bball is not strong in asia compare to europe.
a question to all bball fans in asia:
there is someting like euroleague in asia? and if there is what are the strongest teams in that competition?
also can you rank the best local leagues (level and attention) and national teams.?(top 5 would be enough :))

cscarlos
01-28-2011, 11:09 AM

the reason why the Mediterranean League would be a success is the teams in it.
the teams are bigger and so is the attention.
an actuall league with playoff and a regular seasons will be just awsome

Khalid80
01-29-2011, 01:53 PM
just to understand, how high the top teams budget can get there?

i know,we (israel) are very lucky to play in
european competitions...bball is not strong in asia compare to europe.
a question to all bball fans in asia:
there is someting like euroleague in asia? and if there is what are the strongest teams in that competition?
also can you rank the best local leagues (level and attention) and national teams.?(top 5 would be enough :))

Riyadi usually has the highest budget amongst Lebanese teams and this year their budget was over $2 million U.S (1.47 Million Euros).

How does that compare to teams in Israel (not mentioning Maccabi Tel Aviv)?

Loren Woods who is playing with Riyadi is getting $300,000 (220,530 Euros) this season (excluding bonuses and other benefits) and considering that our season is approx. 6 months that amounts to $50,000 (36,755 Euros per month)

The team doesn't show the exact budget figures but this article talks about salaries of basketball players in the Middle East (check the video on the page as well.. They talk with American bball players in the Lebanese League specifically Woods)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704584804575644471744675714.html

We don't have a Euroleague per se... This year we started with the West Asian Basketball Superleague where the best teams from Iran, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, and Yemen play one another and the top positions qualify to the Asian championship for clubs (check this thread here)
http://forums.interbasket.net/f22/waba-superleague-back-to-the-track-14811/
The Asian Championship for clubs includes the best teams in Asia play each other (excluding the East Asian teams like those from Korea, Japan, China who haven't partaken in this tournament for almost 10 years now) but this whole tournament lasts approx. 10 days

Billy Bounce
01-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Riyadi usually has the highest budget amongst Lebanese teams and this year their budget was over $2 million U.S (1.47 Million Euros).

The minimum budget in BSL is 4.2M NIS ~ $1.2M . Nearly half of the league has this order of budget. There are 3-4 clubs like Hapoel Jerusalem, Bnei HaSharon, Maccabi Haifa that have $4-5M budgets .
Surprisingly the money gaps are non-existent on the floor, for example Maccabi Haifa with $4M budget is currently the last team with 3/12 win/loss record :)

It must be said that in Israel taxes for foreigners' sport contracts are rather small ~25% , with usual tax of ~45% , so 1.2M team in Israel probably means $2M team in Spain .

Khalid80
01-29-2011, 10:12 PM
The minimum budget in BSL is 4.2M NIS ~ $1.2M . Nearly half of the league has this order of budget. There are 3-4 clubs like Hapoel Jerusalem, Bnei HaSharon, Maccabi Haifa that have $4-5M budgets .
Surprisingly the money gaps are non-existent on the floor, for example Maccabi Haifa with $4M budget is currently the last team with 3/12 win/loss record :)

It must be said that in Israel taxes for foreigners' sport contracts are rather small ~25% , with usual tax of ~45% , so 1.2M team in Israel probably means $2M team in Spain .

Thanks for the info and insight.

OT: By the way how are you with Euroleague refs :D?

This guy was the main ref in yesterdays semifinal game for Sagesse (Lebanon) and Ittihad (Egypt) in the Dubai tournament and he screwed us over big time... Moreover I swear he looks like Shmuel Bachar even though I really doubt they would bring an Israeli referee to the UAE :p

cscarlos
01-30-2011, 07:05 AM

This guy was the main ref in yesterdays semifinal game for Sagesse (Lebanon) and Ittihad (Egypt) in the Dubai tournament and he screwed us over big time... Moreover I swear he looks like Shmuel Bachar even though I really doubt they would bring an Israeli referee to the UAE :p

lol ''Shmuel ''...yea Sami lookes a little bit like this guy but im 100 % sure its not him...this guy lookes italian.
the funny thing is that Sami retired from the israely league do to legal issue and was known to still judge in international games ''far away from the country''..
so i really thought about this over.
but really what are the odds that an israelly judge will be in this tournument?
(im sure alot of people in lebanon were like '' the jew made us loose...wait a second...why he would want us to loose againts egypt?)

cscarlos
01-30-2011, 07:44 AM

Loren Woods who is playing with Riyadi is getting $300,000 (220,530 Euros) this season (excluding bonuses and other benefits) and considering that our season is approx. 6 months that amounts to $50,000 (36,755 Euros per month)

The team doesn't show the exact budget figures but this article talks about salaries of basketball players in the Middle East (check the video on the page as well.. They talk with American bball players in the Lebanese League specifically Woods)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704584804575644471744675714.html

We don't have a Euroleague per se... This year we started with the West Asian Basketball Superleague where the best teams from Iran, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, and Yemen play one another and the top positions qualify to the Asian championship for clubs (check this thread here)
http://forums.interbasket.net/f22/waba-superleague-back-to-the-track-14811/
The Asian Championship for clubs includes the best teams in Asia play each other (excluding the East Asian teams like those from Korea, Japan, China who haven't partaken in this tournament for almost 10 years now) but this whole tournament lasts approx. 10 days

so another question...what is consider to be the biggest clubs in asia? (i do it to compare with europe) for example in eurpe its olympiakus and pana (with close to 50 M $ budget) barcelona.madrid...(alot of spain teams) .maccabi. siena. efes...

Khalid80
01-30-2011, 10:44 AM
so another question...what is consider to be the biggest clubs in asia? (i do it to compare with europe) for example in eurpe its olympiakus and pana (with close to 50 M $ budget) barcelona.madrid...(alot of spain teams) .maccabi. siena. efes...

Man in Europe the information is all clear and the salaries are mentioned and published so you can easily see them. In Asia it's much more difficult to get such figures and details.

What I can tell you though is that in China they pay the highest salaries for their import players but the same can't be said for the local players even though I still think the Chinese teams have the highest budgets for teams in Asia followed probably by Iran.

For example Xinjiang Flying Tigers (Current leaders in CBA, China) have reportedly signed Quincy Douby for an amount of 350,000 US$ per month (approx. 257,215 Euros) and James Singleton for 250,000 US$ per month (183,725 Euros) but you have to remember that the Chinese league only lasts for 4 months so Douby's contract would be around 1.4 Million US$ (1.029 Million Euros) and 1 Million US$ (734,900 Euros) for Singleton.
I don't have proof of these salaries but they were mentioned from Chinese posters here in IBN but I do believe they are somewhat accurate.
Steve Francis before he was released by his team in China had reportedly signed for 800,000 US$ (587,920 Euros) for the whole season (here's the link and they also mention that he's not the highest paid player in China)
http://dc.sbnation.com/maryland-terrapins/2010/12/10/1868661/steve-francis-china-basketball-highest-paid

The tricky part is how much the local Chinese players get paid as there is no data for this.

As for Iran, the defending Champions Mahram reportedly had a budget of over 6 Million US$ (4.41 Million Euros) last season but again I don't have valid sources to prove this.

By the way I forgot to mention in my last post that for Riyadi (Lebanon) this budget (2 Million US$ is just internal and doesn't include the budget for when they participate in external competitions and sometimes get the services of other players so it could be safe to assume that the overall budget of Riyadi for the whole season is closer to 3 Million US$)

I also don't have any info. on what are the budgets for teams in leagues like Japan and South Korea since they have a good level for their imports...

Anyways hope I was able to help out with the limited info. and sources that I have.

Khalid80
01-30-2011, 10:53 AM
lol ''Shmuel ''...yea Sami lookes a little bit like this guy but im 100 % sure its not him...this guy lookes italian.
the funny thing is that Sami retired from the israely league do to legal issue and was known to still judge in international games ''far away from the country''..
so i really thought about this over.
but really what are the odds that an israelly judge will be in this tournument?
(im sure alot of people in lebanon were like '' the jew made us loose...wait a second...why he would want us to loose againts egypt?)

Very few people in Lebanon follow the Euroleague so they wouldn't know who Bachar is in the first place... Actually I just happen to know him since he officiated the Euroleague final in Paris between Barca and Olympiakos

cscarlos
01-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Man in Europe the information is all clear and the salaries are mentioned and published so you can easily see them. In Asia it's much more difficult to get such figures and details.

What I can tell you though is that in China they pay the highest salaries for their import players but the same can't be said for the local players even though I still think the Chinese teams have the highest budgets for teams in Asia followed probably by Iran.

For example Xinjiang Flying Tigers (Current leaders in CBA, China) have reportedly signed Quincy Douby for an amount of 350,000 US$ per month (approx. 257,215 Euros) and James Singleton for 250,000 US$ per month (183,725 Euros) but you have to remember that the Chinese league only lasts for 4 months so Douby's contract would be around 1.4 Million US$ (1.029 Million Euros) and 1 Million US$ (734,900 Euros) for Singleton.
I don't have proof of these salaries but they were mentioned from Chinese posters here in IBN but I do believe they are somewhat accurate.
Steve Francis before he was released by his team in China had reportedly signed for 800,000 US$ (587,920 Euros) for the whole season (here's the link and they also mention that he's not the highest paid player in China)
http://dc.sbnation.com/maryland-terrapins/2010/12/10/1868661/steve-francis-china-basketball-highest-paid

The tricky part is how much the local Chinese players get paid as there is no data for this.

As for Iran, the defending Champions Mahram reportedly had a budget of over 6 Million US$ (4.41 Million Euros) last season but again I don't have valid sources to prove this.

By the way I forgot to mention in my last post that for Riyadi (Lebanon) this budget (2 Million US$ is just internal and doesn't include the budget for when they participate in external competitions and sometimes get the services of other players so it could be safe to assume that the overall budget of Riyadi for the whole season is closer to 3 Million US$)

I also don't have any info. on what are the budgets for teams in leagues like Japan and South Korea since they have a good level for their imports...

Anyways hope I was able to help out with the limited info. and sources that I have.
thx for the info :)

cscarlos
01-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Despite of being sick and tired of Maccabi crushing BSL teams 30+ average , I don't see any future for this Mediterranean league

The main reason : playing in two international leagues would require a lot of travel -> twice a week. One day for the flight and recovery , second day - game , third day - flight home and recovery. Having 2 games a week , means 2*3=6 days a week of non-stop travel :rolleyes:

Of course it maybe synchronized with EL/EC schedule to ensure no 2 road game in the same week, but it's a very tricky task and not always possible.

you are wrong about this ... its just two games in a week (Mediterranean League Euroleague), that means there is every week three options:

Two games at home this means you dont have to leave the city in general.

One home and one away ... not so bad It's just like we had until now.

Two away ... the team will take a plane from the first game to the second game .. in the NBA they do it all the time.

Billy Bounce
01-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Damn, he does look like Bachar :D

How that ref screw you ?

Bachar was not a bad ref after all, bad refs don't officiate EL finals, I guess, but he has a few doubtful calls in his resume . The most famous being the 5th foul of Meir Tapiro a couple of min before the end of championship game between Jerusalem & MTA.

So a year ago, when Bachar was called to police for questions the whole country hold a breath , but at the end it turned out to be a boring case of tax evasion , not "thirty pieces of silver" for Tapiro's 5th foul :cool:

Khalid80
01-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Damn, he does look like Bachar :D

How that ref screw you ?

Bachar was not a bad ref after all, bad refs don't officiate EL finals, I guess, but he has a few doubtful calls in his resume . The most famous being the 5th foul of Meir Tapiro a couple of min before the end of championship game between Jerusalem & MTA.

So a year ago, when Bachar was called to police for questions the whole country hold a breath , but at the end it turned out to be a boring case of tax evasion , not "thirty pieces of silver" for Tapiro's 5th foul :cool:

He called a lot of questionable fouls specifically on Sagesse's big men (Garnett Thompson, Darryl Watkins and Daniel Faris) who got into quick foul trouble and thus affecting the whole team. Meanwhile not many fouls were called on the Egyptian team.

So Bachar is banned from "reffing" any games in the BSL league for good or just for some specific time frame?

cscarlos
01-31-2011, 12:53 PM
He called a lot of questionable fouls specifically on Sagesse's big men (Garnett Thompson, Darryl Watkins and Daniel Faris) who got into quick foul trouble and thus affecting the whole team. Meanwhile not many fouls were called on the Egyptian team.

So Bachar is banned from "reffing" any games in the BSL league for good or just for some specific time frame?

he retired...and i hope he wont comeback

Victorious
02-12-2011, 08:57 PM
It seems that the Mediterranean League is becoming reality. There are now strong indications that the first official steps have already been taken. The main question now is when the first season will start. Next season? Οr maybe the year after?

In any case, Qatar and FIBA Asia has officially confirmed that they want to be part of it.

Here is an article:
http://www.superbasket.gr/?c=309&a=137368

Khalid80
02-12-2011, 09:33 PM
It seems that the Mediterranean League is becoming reality. There are now strong indications that the first official steps have already been taken. The main question now is when the first season will start. Next season? Οr maybe the year after?

In any case, Qatar and FIBA Asia has officially confirmed that they want to be part of it.

Here is an article:
http://jcmr-online.com/content/10/1/42/table/T3

Are you sure of the link :D?

I got: "Death rates from all causes in thalassaemia major in the UK, by decade".

P.S: Need any help on your research medical report :p?

iskoch
02-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Mediterranean league will work too. Fenerbahçe-Galatasaray-Beşiktaş and Olympiacos-Panathinaikos, Paok-Aris rivalaries will continue there. If I remember correctly, 4-5 Turkish and 4-5 Greek teams will be there. Plus Turk-Greek games also always have high adrenalin.

Travelling for MTA will be hard but I don't think so for Turkish and Greek teams. İstanbul-Athens just 1.5 hour. And İstanbul-İzmir-Ankara 1 hour, İstanbul-Antalya-Mersin-Trabzon almost 2 hours. I guess Greek teams also travel at least 2-3 hours by bus.

iskoch
02-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I really support this idea because in Turkish League there is a limit of 5 foreigner players in roster. If there was just 2 contenders like before 2006, amount of national players would be enough. But now Fener and Efes trying to do good job in EL, it means they should have at least 5x2, 10 national players in EL level. Galatasaray, Beşiktaş and Telekom also challenge for final in the league, so they should have at least 5x3, 15 good players too. In NBA we have 5 players now. But it's not easy to have 25-30 national players in EL level. So it drops league quality.

If Mediterranean league comes true, there will be no limit to sign foreigners for big clubs. İt means their quality will increase and average Turkish players will go to the others clubs and their quality will increase too. Then bringing to the league limit of 3 foreigners will help young players to get more playing time and develop. Great for Turkish basketball, really great...

Victorious
02-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Are you sure of the link :D?

I got: "Death rates from all causes in thalassaemia major in the UK, by decade".

P.S: Need any help on your research medical report :p?

WTF lmao I corrected it.

Victorious
02-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Mediterranean league will work too. Fenerbahçe-Galatasaray-Beşiktaş and Olympiacos-Panathinaikos, Paok-Aris rivalaries will continue there. If I remember correctly, 4-5 Turkish and 4-5 Greek teams will be there. Plus Turk-Greek games also always have high adrenalin.

Travelling for MTA will be hard but I don't think so for Turkish and Greek teams. İstanbul-Athens just 1.5 hour. And İstanbul-İzmir-Ankara 1 hour, İstanbul-Antalya-Mersin-Trabzon almost 2 hours. I guess Greek teams also travel at least 2-3 hours by bus.

Yes, I don't think travel time is an issue. Once you get in the airplane, it doesn't matter if it's 45 mins or 1.5 hours.

You really got a point. It will be a league full of derbies. Imagine five teams leading the standings and another five which are trailing the bigs and are able to surprise them at any moment. That would be great. Every week would have at least two derbies in this kind of competition.

But you re wrong about the number of teams. 3 to 4 Turkish and Greeks will take part of the competition. A good number for starters.

Victorious
02-13-2011, 12:54 AM
I really support this idea because in Turkish League there is a limit of 5 foreigner players in roster. If there was just 2 contenders like before 2006, amount of national players would be enough. But now Fener and Efes trying to do good job in EL, it means they should have at least 5x2, 10 national players in EL level. Galatasaray, Beşiktaş and Telekom also challenge for final in the league, so they should have at least 5x3, 15 good players too. In NBA we have 5 players now. But it's not easy to have 25-30 national players in EL level. So it drops league quality.

If Mediterranean league comes true, there will be no limit to sign foreigners for big clubs. İt means their quality will increase and average Turkish players will go to the others clubs and their quality will increase too. Then bringing to the league limit of 3 foreigners will help young players to get more playing time and develop. Great for Turkish basketball, really great...

The way I see it. A basketball country like the USA has about 30 high quality teams. That's about 1 NBA team per 11 million people. When you bear in mind that there also many foreign players in the NBA, you come to the conclusion that one needs a great amount of talent to create a high quality team.

So the competition system in Europe is a flaw. No country in Europe can produce enough talent to create an professional basketball league on a decent and competitive level. Many teams are bound to lack the talent to be able to compete with better ones. That's why many national leagues are not interesting. They are too predictable and the level is not high and/or attractive enough.

The Med League sounds like a great idea. Two interesting games a week would be good for the promotion of the game.

pohani komarac
02-13-2011, 03:23 PM
The way I see it. A basketball country like the USA has about 30 high quality teams. That's about 1 NBA team per 11 million people. When you bear in mind that there also many foreign players in the NBA, you come to the conclusion that one needs a great amount of talent to create a high quality team.

So the competition system in Europe is a flaw. No country in Europe can produce enough talent to create an professional basketball league on a decent and competitive level. Many teams are bound to lack the talent to be able to compete with better ones. That's why many national leagues are not interesting. They are too predictable and the level is not high and/or attractive enough.

The Med League sounds like a great idea. Two interesting games a week would be good for the promotion of the game.

ex yougoslavia once was, and was based only on domestic talent (over 26 milions people).....adriatic league can (not domestic league and one coutrie anymore, but proves it can be done)...................only problem is money as evry player leavs afrter first good season

Victorious
02-13-2011, 05:13 PM
ex yougoslavia once was, and was based only on domestic talent (over 26 milions people).....adriatic league can (not domestic league and one coutrie anymore, but proves it can be done)...................only problem is money as evry player leavs afrter first good season

The level standard was lower back then. By modern standards, there is no way they could assemble enough talent to be more competitive than say, the ACB.

pohani komarac
02-13-2011, 07:00 PM
The level standard was lower back then. By modern standards, there is no way they could assemble enough talent to be more competitive than say, the ACB.

the fact that in those years basketball level was low in other countries doesn't mean that level of ex yu leage was low...all neded that our best and average players stay in our clubs......kukoc and radja in split, djordjevic and danilovic in partizan, komazec and bodiroga in zadar, zdovc in olimpija,....and many other great players and very good ones like paspalj, radulovic, perasovic, savic, sobin, saric and so on

now nlb is very competitive league, among best in eurpe while our clubs are based on few vets who are ending careres, average players, young prospects and few cheep foregions who are mostley worse player than those who plays outside of our clubs

list of some players fro ex-yu i can remeber right away

nba-udrih, dragic, pavlovic, stojakovic, milicic, krstic, radmanovic, pekovic

euroleague (no our clubs)-lorbek, perovic, lakovic, tomic, velickovic, begic, mirotic, barac, teletovic, bijelica n., musli, tepic, savanovic, macvan, tomas, ukic, preldzic, vidmar, turckan (jahovic), vujcic, rakocevic, nahbar, raduljica, teodosic, keselj, nesterovic, erceg, tepic, smodis, marjanovic, planinic, locar, gordic, djedovic, dasic, varda, rakovic, bijelica m., milosevic

others that play elswere-popovic m., rizvic, vranes, popovic b., marinovic, vujanic, peric, nicevic, delas, markovic, vrkic, kus, udrih s., suton, bagaric, pasalic, andric, gecevski....and so on.........

oh yeah coaches to....ivkovic, ivanovic, obradovic, spahija, perasovic, filipovski, vujosevic, repesa, pesic, petrovic, trifunovic, pavicevic

no other leage in europe is facing so many absentes of domestic talent

put those guys with best what is left like ilijevski, ozbolt, markota, giricek, bogdanovic, zoric, kasun, car, nedovic, mulamerovic, simon, kecman, pavkovic, dragicevic, rakocevic m.....and so on...and buch of very taleted players.....you would get hell of league....might not better than acb, but up there with acb

so yes it posible with good work and litle bit of money

Victorious
02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
the fact that in those years basketball level was low in other countries doesn't mean that level of ex yu leage was low...all neded that our best and average players stay in our clubs......kukoc and radja in split, djordjevic and danilovic in partizan, komazec and bodiroga in zadar, zdovc in olimpija,....and many other great players and very good ones like paspalj, radulovic, perasovic, savic, sobin, saric and so on

now nlb is very competitive league, among best in eurpe while our clubs are based on few vets who are ending careres, average players, young prospects and few cheep foregions who are mostley worse player than those who plays outside of our clubs

list of some players fro ex-yu i can remeber right away

nba-udrih, dragic, pavlovic, stojakovic, milicic, krstic, radmanovic, pekovic

euroleague (no our clubs)-lorbek, perovic, lakovic, tomic, velickovic, begic, mirotic, barac, teletovic, bijelica n., musli, tepic, savanovic, macvan, tomas, ukic, preldzic, vidmar, turckan (jahovic), vujcic, rakocevic, nahbar, raduljica, teodosic, keselj, nesterovic, erceg, tepic, smodis, marjanovic, planinic, locar, gordic, djedovic, dasic, varda, rakovic, bijelica m., milosevic

others that play elswere-popovic m., rizvic, vranes, popovic b., marinovic, vujanic, peric, nicevic, delas, markovic, vrkic, kus, udrih s., suton, bagaric, pasalic, andric, gecevski....and so on.........

oh yeah coaches to....ivkovic, ivanovic, obradovic, spahija, perasovic, filipovski, vujosevic, repesa, pesic, petrovic, trifunovic, pavicevic

no other leage in europe is facing so many absentes of domestic talent

put those guys with best what is left like ilijevski, ozbolt, markota, giricek, bogdanovic, zoric, kasun, car, nedovic, mulamerovic, simon, kecman, pavkovic, dragicevic, rakocevic m.....and so on...and buch of very taleted players.....you would get hell of league....might not better than acb, but up there with acb

so yes it posible with good work and litle bit of money

Yes, today the adriatic league would have 2 Final Four favorites and another 3 teams on a highly competitive Euroleague level.

Maybe you could assemble an ACB level league with home grown talent. Still, you d have one or two NBA teams, at most. That´s about the same analogy (population/talent) as the USA.

So, my position still stands. Competitions in Europe have to be marginalized in order to create more competitive leagues on a high level.

pohani komarac
02-14-2011, 11:36 AM
so basicly you wannt nba level leagues in europe:eek:

that's only posible if it's created one unique league in rich areas where evreyone else works for those like ncaa....but that is not posible

or if you invest bilions and bilions of euros in Nigeria and some other African countrie and create legue there

othere case scenario not posible

Victorious
02-14-2011, 07:30 PM
so basicly you wannt nba level leagues in europe:eek:

that's only posible if it's created one unique league in rich areas where evreyone else works for those like ncaa....but that is not posible

or if you invest bilions and bilions of euros in Nigeria and some other African countrie and create legue there

othere case scenario not posible

No, the pool of talent in Europe is not deep enough to create an NBA level league. But the European game is different and fans greatly appreciate a basketball game on Euroleague level.

iskoch
02-14-2011, 09:25 PM
So, my position still stands. Competitions in Europe have to be marginalized in order to create more competitive leagues on a high level.

I think top European teams should build a new league with NBA model and stop playing in national leagues.
Soon or late it will happen, I can't see another way...

Victorious
02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Al Jazeera (based in Qatar) wants the broadcast rights of the Med basketball League.

http://www.sportdog.gr/article/12528/sto-al-jazeera-e-mesogeiake-liga

Khalid80
02-16-2011, 05:32 AM
Al Jazeera (based in Qatar) wants the broadcast rights of the Med basketball League.

http://www.sportdog.gr/article/12528/sto-al-jazeera-e-mesogeiake-liga

I'm not surprised :D... I'm assuming they would have a huge budget compared to the other networks who might want to cover this tournament.

In Turkey Al Jazeera had journalists in all the cities during the WC.

Moreover since Lebanon and Jordan were representing the Arab countries in the WC Al Jazeera dedicated a special team/delegation of correspondents in Izmir and Kayseri to give a more detailed coverage for these teams.

I remember the journalists also came to ask us fans about our journey to Izmir and about the Lebanese NT and our expectations for the team (Many of us were quite euphoric after our first game when we beat Canada and we were all hoping and confident that we will qualify to the second round :D)

FIBA Europe Basket
02-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Vassilakopoulos has worked out agreements with a lot of teams and leagues already. He has already got these teams:

Greece

1. Olympiacos
2. Panathinaikos
3. Aris
4. Panellinios

Turkey

1. Fenerbahce
2. Efes
3. Besiktas
4. Turk Telekom

Israel

1. Maccabi Tel Aviv
2. Hapoel Jerusalem

Serbia

1. Partizan

Bulgaria

1. Lukoil Akademik

And then he has also gotten the agreement with the leagues in Lebanon, Cyprus, and Qatar that the champion of each season from each league will also participate in the Mediterranean League.

Right now he is also in negotiations with Galatasaray, Montepaschi Siena, Roma, and Olimpia Milano.

He has already gotten the basic agreement to have the games broadcast on TV in the Mideast and Africa and also to have the games available online for free across the whole world, much like the Spanish ACB League does. And he is also working on getting the games broadcast on TV throughout Europe.

He is even working on getting the games broadcast on NBA TV and online at ESPN3.com in the United States and Canada. The plan is to start the league next season, and no later than the season after that.

Victorious
02-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Vassilakopoulos has worked out agreements with a lot of teams and leagues already. He has already got these teams:

Greece

1. Olympiacos
2. Panathinaikos
3. Aris
4. Panellinios

Turkey

1. Fenerbahce
2. Efes
3. Besiktas
4. Turk Telekom

Israel

1. Maccabi Tel Aviv
2. Hapoel Jerusalem

Serbia

1. Partizan

Bulgaria

1. Lukoil Akademik

And then he has also gotten the agreement with the leagues in Lebanon, Cyprus, and Qatar that the champion of each season from each league will also participate in the Mediterranean League.

Right now he is also in negotiations with Galatasaray, Montepaschi Siena, Roma, and Olimpia Milano.

He has already gotten the basic agreement to have the games broadcast on TV in the Mideast and Africa and also to have the games available online for free across the whole world, much like the Spanish ACB League does. And he is also working on getting the games broadcast on TV throughout Europe.

He is even working on getting the games broadcast on NBA TV and online at ESPN3.com in the United States and Canada. The plan is to start the league next season, and no later than the season after that.

Panellinios ??? Paok was the forth candidate.

elaj
02-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Adriatic League has a long-lasting agreement with ULEB. If you think Adriatic League will just give up their best teams to this new league... you are wrong.

Gonzaka
02-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Banvit instead of Besiktas or Türk Telekom would be better.

iskoch
02-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Banvit instead of Besiktas or Türk Telekom would be better.

Nope, wouldn't be better.
You are a Barca fan if I am not mistaking, would you like Barcelona to play in a league without Real Madrid?
I don't think Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Beşiktaş will participate in this league without each other.
As a Fenerbahçe fan I would say better to play in Turkish league unless Beşiktaş and Galatasaray play in Medirerranean.
So I'm sure all of Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Beşiktaş will be invited to this league.
If league management won't allow 5 teams from Turkey, Telekom won't be there.
Anyway for a long time there are rumours that Galatasaray will sign a sponsorship deal with Telekom and team will be named as "Galatasaray Türk Telekom" like "Fenerbahçe Ülker"...

FIBA Europe Basket
02-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Panellinios ??? Paok was the forth candidate.

Panellinios is in agreement with Vassilakopoulos to join the league. So that makes 4 Greek clubs so far. Olympiacos, Panathinaikos, Aris, and Panellinios. PAOK won't be in the league then unless a 5th place is added for Greece, or unless one of those other clubs drops out.

I don't think it is a coincidence that those 4 Greek clubs have the highest budgets of any of the A1 clubs. PAOK probably simply does not have the money to join in the venture. After all, they are trying to make a competitive league and PAOK would not really help in that. Every year they let half their team go in the second half of the season.

As for Partizan not being allowed into the league, well tell it to Vassilakopoulos because he seems to think he already has an agreement with them. And Partizan would want to make the move because they would get money from a TV contract. And obviously Partizan needs more money than they have now.

Joško Poljak Fan
02-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Vassilakopoulos tends to claim stuff that later don't happen ;) From what I've been told a while ago he isn't exactly on best relations with either Uleb or Fiba.

Gonzaka
02-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Nope, wouldn't be better.
You are a Barca fan if I am not mistaking, would you like Barcelona to play in a league without Real Madrid?I'm not Barça fan (RM neither), that one is Kwijibo.

I don't think Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Beşiktaş will participate in this league without each other.
As a Fenerbahçe fan I would say better to play in Turkish league unless Beşiktaş and Galatasaray play in Medirerranean.
So I'm sure all of Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Beşiktaş will be invited to this league.
If league management won't allow 5 teams from Turkey, Telekom won't be there.
Anyway for a long time there are rumours that Galatasaray will sign a sponsorship deal with Telekom and team will be named as "Galatasaray Türk Telekom" like "Fenerbahçe Ülker"...I understand your position, but BJK is not a top team level for a league like this one.

iskoch
02-19-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm not Barça fan (RM neither), that one is Kwijibo.

I understand your position, but BJK is not a top team level for a league like this one.

Fenerbahçe, Beşiktaş and Galatasaray's sponsorship deals expire at the end of season.
In fact Ülker is the sponsor of all, but they already declared that won't extend sponsorship with Galatasaray and Beşiktaş.
Fenerbahçe and Ülker will continue and this time I expect much much much bigger budget.
Officially it was 10M USD last year, now I expect at least 20M USD or more.

2 years ago rumours started that Galatasaray and Telekom will have a sponsorship deal in basketball.
Because Telekom their shirt sponsor in football and except this pays 100M USD for stadium name for 10 years.
So, Galatasaray won't have a sponsor in basketball 3 months later, not so hard to to guess what will happen then.

Beşiktaş also can easily find a sponsor and it won't be surprise if they have a deal with Efes Pilsen.
For a long time there are rumours about it and Beşiktaş president said they would consider it if Efes comes with an offer.
Therefore Efes Pilsen's owner will be selected as Beşiktaş president anytime he wants but doesn't accept being candidate yet.

Also I wanna say don't think that Banvit or Telekom will make impact to this league like Beşiktaş and Galatasaray will do, because they don't have fans.
But 40-50 million people support Galatasaray and Beşiktaş, so for popularity of this league in Turkey Beşiktaş and Galatasaray important.
Even more important than Efes Pilsen...

s-e-e
02-19-2011, 07:43 PM
well, efes and fbü should certainly be there. For the other teams that will attend from Turkey everybody has a different opinion. Through the names that have been mentioned so far, I think Banvit surely deserves to be there. And Beşiktaş shouldn't even be considered as a candidate.

Banvit, with all their effort they have put into basketball so far should be given the chance to join the med.l. They focus on basketball only. They do not seek for success only by spending money on buying star players but try to raise new talents and use a good budget for it. That's imortant. If we consider their current position and performance in TBL, again they deserve it. They are serving bb, they have brought bb to a town which had no bb background. And now they even have some number of fans. Own bb fans they created in a relatively small town (compared to cities of most other TBL teams). That I call as real success.

And about Beşiktaş C.T., well, just imagine a team who spend zillions of euros to buy star football players, but who cannot afford to make payments for their bb players. Iverson's transfer was just to pull some fans to the arena, and to make some money over him. And that $2m is simply worthless compared to the zillions used for football transfers. Things got to the point where bb players went on strike for not receiving their payments. Sounds like a joke. They solved the problem but what they have gone through is nothing but a source of shame for bb. What I believe is that Beşiktaş management simply do not bother bb. Their heads are full of football. And there should be no place for such a team in such a league.

Billy Bounce
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
I've got idea for Vassilakopoulos : instead of organizing new league with all logistics burden , why not to organize summer preparation style tournaments with Top tier clubs battling each other?

Let's say 3-4 days events in one city during the season dead-time ( like now till EL play-offs) .

It will produce:

1) precious top-tier practice for clubs who lack it in national leagues ( Pao, Oly, MTA, Siena, ... )

2) public interest & attendance & income

3) huge savings logistics-wise compared to brand new league

Let's say a tourney @ Athens with Pao, Oly, MTA, Siena, Fener, Efes, Olimpija, Partizan.

For example organizing 2 groups : {Pao, MTA, Fener, Partizan }, {Oly, Siena, Efes, Olimpija} will give 5 top tier games : round-robin group stage+ semis + final .

Gonzaka
06-25-2011, 10:27 AM
What happened finally with this idea?

Victorious
06-25-2011, 04:30 PM
What happened finally with this idea?

The arab uprising and the economic crisis in Greece happened. No investments.

What's left of the idea?

Just some rumors. Some officials said that there are going to be different zones ( a la Med league) in the whole of Europe in a couple of years. The Europe cup will be cancelled. The Euroleague will remain.

Cibos
06-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Just get the Turks and Greeks into the NLB league and thats it.. current form of the league is good. No need for additional chemistry like divisions, zones etc.

Roy M
06-28-2011, 08:21 AM
R.I.P
After Oly is all but bankroft, and Pao with their own problems, it looks like the the Mediterranean League is a dead body.

Cibos
06-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Yeah.. i've just read the news about Olympiacos.. in that case just get the Turks in :D

EFES already wanted to join this season...

Get them, Fener and GS in..

Maccabi, Olimpija, Krka, Partizan, Red Star, Hemofarm, Cibona, Cedevita, Zadar, Široki, Budućnost, GS, Fener, EFES.

It would work.

Picek
06-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah.. i've just read the news about Olympiacos.. in that case just get the Turks in :D

EFES already wanted to join this season...

Get them, Fener and GS in..

Maccabi, Olimpija, Krka, Partizan, Red Star, Hemofarm, Cibona, Cedevita, Zadar, Široki, Budućnost, GS, Fener, EFES.

It would work.
a league with Hemofarm, Zadar, Široki, Crvena Zvezda hell even Cibona in their current conditions is by no means stronger then a TBL with Banvit, Bešiktaš, Pinar etc.
and Efes wanted to join simply because of a change in turkis laws when it comes to advertising alcohol..

Cibos
06-28-2011, 09:12 AM
a league with Hemofarm, Zadar, Široki, Crvena Zvezda hell even Cibona in their current conditions is by no means stronger then a TBL with Banvit, Bešiktaš, Pinar etc.
and Efes wanted to join simply because of a change in turkis laws when it comes to advertising alcohol..

I'm talking about "normal" Zvezda, Cibona and Zadar. This was perfect league setup.. in theory :)

Those 3 reached their low points this season. They can only go up in next year or two.

In NLB those clubs were bottom 3. In TBL they'd be a lot higher.. even with all their trouble.

I kinda don't think that Fener and EFES have the likes of Maccabi, Olimpija, Partizan etc..

turk-jugoslav
09-18-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm talking about "normal" Zvezda, Cibona and Zadar. This was perfect league setup.. in theory :)

Those 3 reached their low points this season. They can only go up in next year or two.

In NLB those clubs were bottom 3. In TBL they'd be a lot higher.. even with all their trouble.

I kinda don't think that Fener and EFES have the likes of Maccabi, Olimpija, Partizan etc..

I more like the idea of ''joining to NBL'' .It would be fantastic.Mediterrian League seems imposible because of Greece's economic situation and NBL with Maccabi,Efes and Fenerbahçe can be great.I like to watch Yugoslav teams and their young talents.Crvena Zvezda,Cibona,KK Zagreb etc. give good minutes to their prospects and It is better to play with Maccabi,Efes or Fenerbahçe than playing against an avarage team to improve their game levels and of course for our young talents and teams.I support this idea but I didn't hear any voice from our media and teams:mad:

Bosnian 23
08-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Is there a chance of this happening?