PDA

View Full Version : NBA Brazilians 2010-2011

¹²³
07-13-2010, 08:30 PM
The Suns, according to The Toronto Star, have agreed to send guard Leandro Barbosa to the Raptors for Turkoglu, who badly wants a move after a rough first season with Toronto. The Raptors then plan to use the trade exception it created in their Chris Bosh sign-and-trade deal with Miami to acquire Boris Diaw Tyson Chandler from Charlotte, with guard Jose Calderon and forward Reggie Evans heading to the Bobcats. The report said the deal is pending league approval.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5372405)

And a nice post from a Suns blog: Farewell, Leandro. (http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2010/7/12/1566405/farewell-leandro)

Czarkazem13
07-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Looks like the deal with Charlotte is off. MJ nixed it, now sending Chandler (with Alexis Ajinca) to Dallas for Erick Dampier, Matt Carroll and Eduardo Najera.

Not sure how this effects the Toronto/Phoenix deal.

BBallfanJ
07-13-2010, 10:03 PM
The Phoenix/Toronto deal will still go through. Hedo goes to the Suns and Barbosa to the Raptors.

¹²³
07-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Right now we have this cenario for the Brazilian players.

Anderson Varejão - Cleveland Cavaliers
Nenê - Denver Nuggets
Leandrinho Barbosa - Toronto Raptors
Tiago Splitter - San Antonio Spurs

CKR13
07-15-2010, 06:06 AM
It will be interesting on how Splitter would complement Duncan on the front court. Twin Tower days are here again.

jugoplastika
10-01-2010, 02:14 PM
It will be interesting on how Splitter would complement Duncan on the front court. Twin Tower days are here again.

McDyess prepared for different role with Splitter's arrival

By Tim Griffin on Sep 28, 10 04:23 PM

Veteran forward/center Antonio McDyess said he's ready for a change in his use with the arrival of heralded arrival Tiago Splitter.

McDyess was impressed with Splitter's offensive arsenal after practicing with him on Tuesday.

"He's really good," McDyess said. "He's really strong and posts up strong. He goes hard every play."

Many Spurs players struggle in early practices because of Coach Gregg Popovich's demanding offensive and defensive philosophy. But Splitter was a quick study, according to McDyess.

"He catches on quickly," McDyess said. "I was surprised how quickly he caught on. This is a tough system to learn and he was catching on."

Splitter's development could make McDyess' usage change. It's a situation he said he's willing to adapt to.

"I don't know what my role will be, but whatever it is, I'll take it," McDyess said. "A guy like him has to be on the court. I'll take a backseat to him any day because he's a heck of a player."

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/tim_griffin/2010/09/mcdyess-prepared-for-different.html

NorCal
10-01-2010, 07:24 PM
^^^^Very classy of McDyess. I wish he hadn't done so much damage to his knees, he was an explosive talent early in his NBA career.

rikhardur
11-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Varejão with his best game so far in the season 23 points + 12 rebounds with a perfect 10-10 from the floor. The Cavs nailed their first win after three consecutive losses.

¹²³
11-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Anderson is in a spot where he will need to contribute more on the offensive side, this will help his development. But I wouldn't feel confotable if my team needed 20+ points from him in order to win. And that's where I think the Cavs are right now.

mvblair
11-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Anderson is in a spot where he will need to contribute more on the offensive side, this will help his development. But I wouldn't feel confotable if my team needed 20+ points from him in order to win. And that's where I think the Cavs are right now. Varejao's problem is that he cannot make points by himself. He needs to be "in the right time, right moment." He can put back rebounds and make lay-ups from an assist. Many centers have strong "go to" moves. Varejao doesn't. If he had a good "go to" move, he'd be a good offensive center. Still, he's a good center in the NBA. He can defend, grab rebounds and play help defense. Centers don't need to do more than that.

CKR13
11-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Denver Nuggets center Nene Hilario will play tonight against the Chicago Bulls.

NorCal
11-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Varejao's problem is that he cannot make points by himself. He needs to be "in the right time, right moment." He can put back rebounds and make lay-ups from an assist. Many centers have strong "go to" moves. Varejao doesn't. If he had a good "go to" move, he'd be a good offensive center. Still, he's a good center in the NBA. He can defend, grab rebounds and play help defense. Centers don't need to do more than that.

Agreed. He's a great hustle guy and moves great without the ball, he's also a solid low post defender. He has a nice 15 foot jumper too but all of his offense is predicated on someone else getting him the ball in the right spot otherwise he is ineffective.

BBallfanJ
11-21-2010, 03:59 AM
Tiago Splitter tonight had an NBA career high 18 points tonight vs the Cavs.

rikhardur
12-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Nenê had his best game so far in the season and almost had a triple-double: 27 pts + 11 rebs + 6 assists + 2 blocks + 2 steals. The Nuggets beat the Grizzlies by one.

Duncan
12-08-2010, 03:59 AM
Why didn't Nene play in the World Championships?

rikhardur
12-08-2010, 04:25 AM
Why didn't Nene play in the World Championships?
Muscular problem in a friendly.

¹²³
12-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Nene is having a very good season. Maybe he will get a shot in the All-Star game.

Duncan
12-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Didn't Oscar criticize his dedication to the Brazil team?

¹²³
12-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Didn't Oscar criticize his dedication to the Brazil team?

Yes. (http://www.interbasket.net/news/74/2007/09/brazilian-legend-oscar-schmidt-criticizes-barbosa-nene/) Leandro Barbosa too.

Duncan
12-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Interesting. No one could ever question Oscar's dedication to the National team.

CKR13
12-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Nene Hilario scored 26 points and had 6 rebounds as the Denver Nuggets beat the Toronto Raptors 123-116.

Duncan
12-12-2010, 01:16 AM
nene needs to be more consistent

CKR13
12-16-2010, 03:58 AM
Anderson Varejao had a double-double game of 18 points and 15 rebounds despite the Cleveland Cavaliers losing to the Miami HEAT 101-95.

Duncan
12-17-2010, 01:14 AM
he needs to do that every night for Cleveland. They need it!

CKR13
12-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Leandrinho Barbosa is shaping up to be the veteran 6th man for the young core of the Toronto Raptors. Tonight, Barbosa scored 10 points (4-6 FG / 2-2 3PTs) as the Raptors snapped a two game losing streak by winning against the New Jersey Nets 98-92.

Duncan
12-18-2010, 03:09 AM
What would be the ideal lineup for Brazil to start in the FIBA Tourney of the Americas?

Huertas, Barbosa, Nene, Splitter, Varejao ?

CKR13
12-23-2010, 03:56 AM
Tiago Splitter had 12 points and 9 rebounds tonight. Helping the San Antonio Spurs to win against the Denver Nuggets 109-103.

rikhardur
12-23-2010, 04:17 AM
Tiago Splitter had 12 points and 9 rebounds tonight. Helping the San Antonio Spurs to win against the Denver Nuggets 109-103.
Hey where's Lewis? :D ;)

¹²³
12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Z051LonYftM

Duncan
12-30-2010, 01:53 AM
he needs to go to a better team? where would he fit in well?

¹²³
12-30-2010, 05:51 PM
he needs to go to a better team? where would he fit in well?

I think Andy would fit well in any team. He and LeBron seem like good friends, so maybe Miami?

Duncan
12-31-2010, 01:42 AM
They don't have much money left though do they. I think he would really help any team too as you said. The bulls would be a good fit, as well as the mavericks. 2 really good teams who could use a forward of his skill set

mvblair
12-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Great video! :D Andy is a very intense player, always. Looks like he was a little too intense last week, though. :D
They don't have much money left though do they. I think he would really help any team too as you said. The bulls would be a good fit, as well as the mavericks. 2 really good teams who could use a forward of his skill set Well, I think a player like that could fit onto any team. Varejao is the type of player who doesn't get plays called for him, but always hustles on offense and defense. What team doesn't want a player like that? Any contender would love to have him and he'd play well for any contender.

Duncan
01-01-2011, 02:43 AM
I agree. I just would like to see him on a better team than the Cavs. of course, the Cavs were pretty good until this year.

CKR13
01-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Another splendid sixth-man performance for Leandrinho Barbosa as he scored 22 points off the bench as the Toronto Raptors rout the Cleveland Cavaliers 120-105.

CKR13
01-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Anderson Varejao could miss the rest of the 2010-2011 Season due to a torn tendon on his right knee.

CLEVELAND (AP)—Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao will likely miss the rest of the season because of a torn tendon in his right ankle.

Varejao got hurt during practice on Thursday, and was placed in a walking boot. He missed Friday’s game against Golden State before undergoing a second MRI in Phoenix. The Cavs said Sunday’s test revealed “a complete tear of the peroneus longus in the midfoot of the right ankle and foot.”

Losing Varejao is devastating news for the Cavs, who have dropped nine in a row and 19 of 20. He’s their leading rebounder, best interior defender and provides constant energy with his hustle.

Varejao may require surgery. He’s expected to return to Cleveland for further treatment.

-Yahoo!Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AruAo.Je7ItFo45Xe7_5QBS8vLYF?slug=ap-cavaliers-varejaoinjury)

Duncan
01-10-2011, 02:25 AM
well that sucks! No reason to watch Cleveland at all anymore I wonder if he will be ready for the Tourney of the America's?

¹²³
01-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Sad news. Done for the season.

I'm not sure how long will take to get him fit again, but it sure looks serious.

stuart
02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
...Nene quietly having another efficient season...

http://www.interbasket.net/news/7586/2011/02/appreciating-nene-and-j-j-barea/

Stuart

¹²³
02-09-2011, 06:18 PM
...Nene quietly having another efficient season...

http://www.interbasket.net/news/7586/2011/02/appreciating-nene-and-j-j-barea/

Stuart

Yeah, it's an amazing FG%, people should e talking more about that.

NorCal
02-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Perhaps when Carmelo leaves Denver it will allow Nene to prosper and get more touches. He has been a quietly efficient and effective player for some time, very underrated IMO. Kind of like Al Horford in the East.

CKR13
02-22-2011, 11:47 PM
After the Carmelo Anthony trade, ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/25085/sources-nuggets-seek-nene-extension) reports that the Denver Nuggets and representatives of center, Nene Hilario have began preliminary talks about a contract extension.

Duncan
02-23-2011, 10:09 PM
I was just in Denver, and the fans are more upset about losing Chauncey Billups than losing 'Melo. Chauncey is Denver native through and through.

They also are hoping to extend Nene, which I think would be a smart move. Only thing would be if they are totally rebuilding, they may move Nene as well for draft picks and another contract.

BUT, I really think they will resign nene, it;s hard to find bigs that are as good as him, plus Denver doesn't have much size without him

mvblair
02-24-2011, 05:10 PM
I was just in Denver, and the fans are more upset about losing Chauncey Billups than losing 'Melo. Chauncey is Denver native through and through. That's interesting. I wonder if people just didn't like how Carmelo's agents cried and moaned about getting him out.

They also are hoping to extend Nene, which I think would be a smart move. Only thing would be if they are totally rebuilding, they may move Nene as well for draft picks and another contract. I don't think they will need to completely rebuild. I think they're still a pretty good team that can compete for a play-off spot. If Ty Lawson and Aaron Aflalo can shine at the guard spots, I think this team will be pretty good. They'll need somebody to play behind Nene, though....

Duncan
02-24-2011, 06:36 PM
I think with the players picked up for 'Melo, combined with an extended Nene with Lawson and Afflalo, they could be pretty good. I would think about moving Felton on for a big to play behind Nene like you said. Plus, they could be under the salary cap to make some moves as well

Gallo, Martin, Nene, Afflalo, Lawson plus Chandler, Birdman, russian dude, JR Smith is not a bad rotation.

¹²³
02-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Let's see if Nene can keep his FG% at a good number even with the increase touches.

Duncan
02-26-2011, 12:22 AM
I think it will still be good, but go down a bit

¹²³
03-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Splitter with his first double-double in NBA.
(http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-notebook-Splitter-a-splendid-substitute-1247134.php)

Spurs rookie Tiago Splitter had about an hour before Saturday's game to prepare himself to replace Tim Duncan in the starting lineup against Charlotte. Coach Gregg Popovich had opted to rest his starting power forward for the first time all season.

When Duncan went down with a sprained left ankle in the first quarter of Monday's game against the Warriors at the AT&T Center, Splitter had no time to ponder.

The response from the former MVP of the Spanish League was the first double-double of his NBA rookie season, a 10-point, 14-rebound performance in 26 minutes and 34 seconds of solid play.

“It wasn't good when Tim got injured in the game, and I just came out to try to do my best and help the team with the dirty job,” Splitter said. “Grab the rebound, (play) defense and score when my teammates pass me the ball. Easy layups. Tony (Parker) did a great job, and Manu (Ginobili) also.”

Popovich was not surprised Splitter gave the Spurs a lift.

“Tiago is going to give you that (effort) every night,” Popovich said. “He's going to bust his butt to rebound and play defense. He's going to give you that grunt that every team needs and every coach loves.

“That's nothing different from him. That's just what he does.”

Parker, who had a career-high 15 assists, and Ginobili played to Splitter's strength on offense, involving him in a lot of pick-and-roll action.

“He's one of the best at rolling to the basket,” Parker said. “He played physical and went to the boards. He did his best on defense. He's still learning, but tonight he did pretty good.”

Duncan
03-23-2011, 12:38 AM
now he needs the refs to stop singlng him out for fouls. He gets called for a lot of ticky tack fouls. Hope he gets plenty of pt the rest of the way

CKR13
03-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Nuggets want Nene back

Nene

The Denver Nuggets entered Friday 11-4 in the post-Carmelo Anthony era. They have some nice young talent for the future, a boatload of draft picks and they re-signed coach George Karl to a long-term extension. But what’s going to happen with soon-to-be free agent Nene Hilario, who is having a breakout season in Denver?

In his ninth year with the Nuggets, the forward-center is averaging a career-high 15 points and 7.5 rebounds this season. Nene is making $11.3 million this year and is expected to opt out of his contract that’s scheduled to pay $11.6 million next season. The Brazilian has said he’d prefer to stay in Denver, but those close to him say he’s disappointed that a contract has not been offered yet.

Nuggets first-year president Josh Kroenke is optimistic Nene will stay in Denver.

“He’s obviously extremely pleased with how our team has been post-trade,” Kroenke told Yahoo! Sports. “Nene has been a big part of that. He’s been playing the best basketball of his career. I don’t think I will get something done before the season is over, but we definitely want Nene around long term.”

Yahoo!Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-spears_fickle_philly_fans_warm_up_to_iguodala_0325 11)

Duncan
03-28-2011, 02:36 AM
waiting to see about the lockout maybe? Denver really needs to keep him though

guilherme.rcf
04-13-2011, 04:30 AM
You just dont find centers like Nene everyday. He deserves a maximum contract offer.

I just hope that this doesnt make him skip the national team once more.

Duncan
04-14-2011, 12:08 AM
I really think Denver will resign him with the succes the team has had since the Carmelo trade. Plus, you can't find quality bigmen just anywhere

mvblair
04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Varejao had a tremendous season until he ruptured his ankle tendon.

He almost averaged a double-double: 9.1 points and 9.7 rebounds. He shot 52.8% and also got 1.2 blocks per game in 32 minutes of action. Statistically, he improved in every category (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3847/career;_ylt=An9DEMkgyxMXoVZ4GsbY2z0MPaB4).

Before the mid-season trade, Cleveland was very small (after having the biggest line-up in the NBA with Shaq and Z last year). Now, Varejao will share the frontcourt with Antwan Jamison, JJ Hickson, Semih Erden, and Ryan Hollins.

I predict that either Varejao or Erden will start at center for the 2011/2012 season.

CKR13
05-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Denver Nuggets center Nene Hilario is considering to opt out of the last year of his contract and test the free agency market.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17978868

¹²³
05-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Denver Nuggets center Nene Hilario is considering to opt out of the last year of his contract and test the free agency market.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17978868

He is probably expecting to be paid big time after a very good season.

mvblair
05-04-2011, 12:31 PM
He is probably expecting to be paid big time after a very good season. He's supposed to make $12 million next year, so he must be thinking that somebody will offer him more. He needs to be careful because the pay-scale will change next year.

Nene is a top center. Griffin, Gasol, Bynum, Howard, Hibbert, Nene is up there. He deserves top money because he plays good defense and offense.

Every team needs a center, so there is definitely a market for him.

CKR13
05-05-2011, 02:14 AM
He is probably expecting to be paid big time after a very good season.

I agree. Most likely, Nene is looking for a fresh contract that is worth like Noah and Horford's contracts.

CKR13
06-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Denver Nuggets General Manager Masai Ujiri has confirmed that negotiations with Nene Hilario and his agent are ongoing and there has been "progress" between their talks.

Duncan
06-26-2011, 09:57 PM
He isn't a max player to me. He is very good, but not a max player. The thing is, without him, Denver has hardly any inside presence, especially if KMart leaves

CKR13
06-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Leandrinho Barbosa has exercised his Player Option with the Toronto Raptors to be with the team for the 2011-2012 NBA Season.

Stalonecobra
07-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Any notice of Anderson Varejao?
Anyone knows when he may recover form injury?