Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women [June 23-30 Thailand]

Surat Thani stage set for Asia’s young women basketballers

SURAT THANI, Thailand (20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women): Twelve teams – divided into two levels – will be seen in action in the 20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women starting at the capital of the largest of the southern provinces of Thailand, on the eastern shore of the Gulf of Thailand, on June 23.

The top three finishers from the eight-day championship will qualify for the 9th FIBA U19 World Championship for Women, scheduled to be held in Chile from July 20-30 2011.

Japan, who won their maiden gold medal at the last edition of this Championship in Medan (Indonesia) two years ago have their task cut out in attempting to retain their title pitted as they are against six-time champions China and traditional powerhouse Korea – the only other team to ever win the title.

Chinese Taipei, Malaysia and Kazakhstan who earned a promotion at Medan complete the line-up in the elite Level I, which will decide the champions as well as the qualifiers for the World Championship.

Hosts Thailand are drawn with fellow South East Asian rivals Philippines and Laos along with India, who lost out to Kazakhstan in the Level I play-offs two years ago, in Level II of the competition.

Sri Lanka and Syria making the first appearance in this competition are the other teams in Level II.

The top four finishers in Level I will be involved in a semifinal knockout.

The top two finishers from Level II will play off with the bottom two finishers of Level I for a place in the elite Level for the next edition.

Both levels will witness an all-play-all format for identifying the semifinalists and the play-off participants.

The event returns to the Land of Smiles, after a gap of one edition.

Thailand last hosted the FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women when Thai capital Bangkok played host to the 18th edition in 2007. Bangkok had also hosted the event for its 13th edition in 1996.

Japan, China and Korea had represented FIBA Asia in the 8th FIBA World U19 Championship for Women, which was, incidentally, again held in Bangkok in 2009.

East Asian nations have held a powerful hold on the podium-finishes in this event.

China, Korea, Japan and Chinese Taipei have held a stranglehold on the top four finishes in the championship for almost the last quarter of a century.

The last time any team outside this foursome made the semifinals was when Malaysia made the last four in the eighth edition of the championship at Seoul, Korea way back in 1984.

China have won the gold medal 11 times, Korea seven times and Japan once.

FIBA Asia
    Official website:
    http://suratthani2010.fibaasia.net/

SYR - Syrian presence adds variety to the fray

SURAT THANI, Thailand (20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women): The 20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women will witness the return of a team from the Arab section of the FIBA Asia family after a gap of 12 years with Syria confirming their participation for the Surat Thani event.

Coming, albeit as a replacement for Singapore’s eleventh-hour withdrawal “due to unavoidable circumstances,” Syria’s presence adds variety to the competition.

Syria will play alongside India, Philippines, Laos, Sri Lanka and hosts Thailand in Level II of the competition.

The last time any team from the WABA-Gulf sub zones participated in a FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women was also incidentally in an edition played in Thailand.

Jordan had finished eighth in a fray of 12 in the 1996 edition of the FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women in Bangkok.

Kuwait had been only other Arab team to participate in this event, when they had hosted the event way back in 1977.

More recently, Lebanon caught the attention of the FIBA Asia fraternity when they came up with an impressive showing, and qualified for the Level I, at the 23rd FIBA Asia Championship for Women in Chennai.

The Syrian senior women’s team had participated in the 1986 edition of the FIBA Asia Championship for Women at Kuala Lumpur, finishing ninth in a fray of ten teams.

As far as rankings and results are concerned, the Gulf-WABA women’s teams are yet to make a mark. But as the old saying goes, “Don’t all things begin small”?

FIBA Asia
    http://suratthani2010.fibaasia.net/T...ils.aspx?id=56

Comment

IND/SRI - India begin redemption campaign with a win
      22/06/2010

SURAT THANI, Thailand (20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women): India, aiming to regain their position in Level I of the competition, began their campaign in Level II with a 86-39 win over across-the-Indian-Ocean neighbours Sri Lanka on Wednesday.

Skipper Stephy Nixon, the only player remaining from the team that was relegated to Level II at Medan two years ago, was on the court for only 10 minutes sitting out the remainder with an injury. But Sneha Rajguru, who graduated from the U16 ranks this year led the scoring with 14 points.

“We are here to regain our position in the top level. The girls have worked really hard towards reaching that goal. I think we did alright to start off with a win,” said India coach Abdul Hameed Khan.

“I think we did alright in offense. But in defense we can do with a lot more improvement,” said India assistant coach Shiba Maggon, who till last year was a member of the Indian women’s National Team.

“Many of the girls are playing outside India for the first time. Probably it’ll take time for them to settle down. But nothing worry,” she added.

Rajapriyadarshini Rajaganapathi and Kavita added a dozen apiece.

Rajaganapathi opened the scoring for the game and India never trailed throughout.

Sanduni Perera was the highest scorer for Sri Lanka with 12 points.

FIBA Asia
      http//www.fibaasia.net/NewsDetails.aspx?id=60

Game statistics:

http://www.fibaasia.net/UserImages/G...0622205524.PDF

Comment

How does the fans from Asia rate the rivality between Japan and China this year?

If im correct, then the chinese girls have their 3 star players again on board, an Japan couldnt hold one of their players from the gold medal run in 2008?

Comment

JPN - Isshiki out to consolidate gains for Japanese basketball
          16/06/2010

SURAT THANI, Thailand (20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women): The girls from the Land of The Rising Sun provided a major boost to Japanese basketball when they won the gold medal at the 19th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women at Medan in 2008 beating an equally talented, and sometimes more explosive, China in the gold medal game.

The man at the helm of affairs at Medan, Tatsushi Isshiki is back as the Head Coach of the Japan U18 National Team for the 20th edition of the FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women starting next Wednesday at Surat Thani.

“In this age-group, winning the gold medal in the previous edition means very little,” said the 48-year-old, who teaches Physical Education at St Catalina Girls High School at Matsuyama in an exclusive chat with this website in the days leading up to the Championship.

“Winning last time was surely an achievement, but then none of the girls who played at Medan are young enough to continue playing here. Therefore, in that sense, this is a completely new team and there is nothing to continue from last time. And our task begins right from scratch,” the soft-spoken Isshiki explained.

“But unlike in Medan, this time I have the advantage to have a couple of girls who already have the experience of playing a FIBA Asia competition,” he added.

Among Issihiki’s team is Rie Izumita, Rina Hill, Naoko Chikahira, Moeko Nagaoka and Evelyn Mawuli who all played stellar roles in Japan winning the silver medal at the inaugural FIBA Asia U16 Championship for Women at Pune last year.

Hill was short-listed for MVP award and Nagaoka had walked away with the Most Promising Player award.

“Winning the Championship last time was the result of our performance in each game. It was my great honor to be there as the coach of such a dedicated bunch of girls. I am lucky to get another set of girls who are as dedicated,” Isshiki said.

Isshiki’s plan to retain the gold medal is very simple.

“Like last time, all we have to do is to play our best in each game. And that is what we are focusing on in our practice sessions.”

Isshiki’s girls capped a 7-0 winning run when they won the gold medal at Medan.

“I am counting on the five players who played the U16 Championship last year to translate their international experience and spread it among the others in the team,” Isshiki said.

Talking about his team’s preparations for the Championship, Isshiki chuckled, “the time of preparation for Championships is always limited. We have to make do with utilizing whatever little time we get.

“But we will be able to play better as the Championship progresses as I expect the girls to learn from every game,” he said.

“The key players in our team are at the age of 17, which means their improvement is rapid and remarkable. They perform better and better, everyday,” he added.

Looking back, Isshiki expressed satisfaction at the way the girls who played at Medan are shaping up to graduate to the senior ranks.

“I think at least two to four players who played in Medan will be selected for the Senior team very soon,” Isshiki said.

“In fact that’s whole idea of preparing teams for this Championship – that the feeder system to the Senior National Team is effective. I am happy that I am contributing substantially in that process,” Isshiki rounded off.

S Mageshwaran / FIBA Asia
          http://www.fibaasia.net/InterviewDetails.aspx?id=12

Comment

asia cup blogspot

there are lot of games but the women's are going the better site for improving the games, but unfortunately the asian countries are very behind the other states.
            asia cup blogspot

Comment

SYR/LAO - Syria make their entry with big win

SURAT THANI, Thailand (20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women): Syria marked their debut in FIBA Asia women’s competitions with a runaway 75-33 win over Laos in Level II competition on Wednesday.

Gasia Sarkis was the tallest player on the court, and was obviously the most productive player in the scoring department from either team. The 180-cm center returned a 21-point game to the lead the Syrian campaign.

Marie von Hassoun set the all-round standards in the competition with a double-double. Hassoun scored 20 points and grabbed as many collecting 20 rebounds, importantly 16 of them in defense.

“Well. This is the first time ever our women are playing in FIBA Asia competition. So I can only feel happy we are starting off with a win,” said Syria coach Jean Kouja Kakhoul.

“Any team in this level is young and inexperienced. We are all the more lacking in exposure. But it’s OK. We are here to gain that experience,” he added.

Nour Rabahieh caught the eye with her speed and scored 14 points.

Vatsana Souksavath’s dozen was the highest for Laos.

FIBA Asia
              http://suratthani2010.fibaasia.net/T...ils.aspx?id=61

Comment

SYR - We’re here to make the experience count: Kakhoul
                22/06/2010

SURAT THANI, Thailand (20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women): Syria surely are the additional talking point in this year’s FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women. And the West Asian team enhanced their reputation with a cracking win on debut in their Level II opener on Wednesday.

“We are here for experience, no doubt. But we are here to make the experience count,” said Syria coach Jean Kouja Kakhoul in an interview with this website immediately after his team’s win on debut.

Excerpts

On the team’s win on debut

Welcome start to our presence in FIBA Asia competitions. Frankly speaking I didn’t expect it to be this easy. But then I am not complaining.

Our girls are very short in experience. Therefore, such wins boost their confidence.

I know it’s too early in the competition and this win by no measure is any yardstick for our actual potential and performance. But then a win is a win, especially in the opening game in new conditions.

On Syrian participation

We are very excited to be here. We have waited for this opportunity for a long time now.

As you are aware, basketball is growing in popularity and performance in the West Asian region. Especially the performance of some of our men teams in the last has been truly remarkable.

Last year, the Lebanese women’s team participated in the senior competition and qualified for Level I.

All this has inspired our girls to work harder and play better.

His thoughts on the standard of Syrian girls

I won’t make any judgments on that right now for the simple reason that these girls have absolutely no international exposure.

One thing is for sure, they play with a lot of spirit. They are dedicated to run that extra mile in order to achieve success.

We have made a start today. We’ll have to wait and see how we take this forward.

We are here for experience. But we want to make that experience count for the future. We don’t want to simply get the experience and forget it. The girls are determined to learn from the experience, however difficult the learning curve is.

S Mageshwaran / FIBA Asia
                http://suratthani2010.fibaasia.net/T...ils.aspx?id=13

Comment

Japan vs China

It's pretty close but China with a big run in the 3rd

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches...64R1heimqSjIE/

Comment

JPN/CHN - Champs Japan keep challengers at bay
                    23/06/2010

SURAT THANI, Thailand (20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women): Defending champions Japan and last edition’s silver medalists China fought a protracted battle before the former eked through by the proverbial whisker in their opening Level I game on Wednesday.

Japan, who had beaten China on two occasions – including the gold medal game – in the last edition of the Championship at Medan two years ago, won 73-72 win.

Gao Song, a member of the China team that played in the FIBA World U19 Championship for Women at Bangkok last year, topped the scoring for the game with 24 points. Gao also collected a game-high nine rebounds, again in a losing cause.

Coach Tatsushi Issihiki, who was also the helmsman at Medan, heaved a sigh of relief as Yang Liwei’s attempt for China bounced off the rim.

“This is a great start for our tournament,” Isshiki said.

“The girls showed tremendous character to hold together in pressure situations. I am obviously happy,” Isshiki said.

“Of course, we made a few mistakes. But against such a tough opposition what matters is that we recovered from the mistakes well and fast.”

Rina Hill scored on the breakaway to put Japan ahead, with about twenty seconds left in the game where fortunes swung like the proverbial pendulum. Yang had the opportunity to nail the issue, but her attempt went in vain.

“I guess it’s a part of the game,” said China coach Wang Guizhi.

“I’m happy that we fought well. It’s only the beginning. We have a long way to go,” she said.

Interestingly, six of Wang’s girls were a part of the team that beat Japan in the gold medal game of the 1st FIBA Asia U16 Championship for Women at Pune last year. Japan have in their team here, five girls who played in Pune.

Aya Watanabe led the scoring for Japan with 23 points. And Moeko Nagaoka, adjudged the Most Promising Player at Pune last year had a 21-point contribution.

FIBA Asia
                    http://suratthani2010.fibaasia.net/s...ils.aspx?id=62

Comment

yo bro, may livestats?

Comment

KOR/MAS - Korea start slow, but grow strong
                        23/06/2010

SURAT THANI, Thailand (20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women): Last edition’s bronze medalists Korea took their time to settle down in their Level I opener against Malaysia on Wednesday. But once they did there was no stopping the former champions from East Asia as they breezed through to a 73-59 win.

“Did we wake up late?” wondered Korea coach Choul Kwon Choi. “But we woke up well.”

Malaysia did rather well, to control the ball, board and the proceedings for the better part of the first half. The SEABA nation maintained a healthy lead on the scoreboard.

Korea made their move in the final seconds of the first half, when Jeonghyun Lee’s back-to-back successes on the paint put Korea ahead 32-30. Jihyun Lee scored in a similar fashion to help Korea head into the changing rooms with their confidence regained via a 34-32 lead. A confidence that only grew in the second half.

Jeonghyun Lee scored only six points in the first quarter, but went on to lead the scoring for Korea with 19 points.

Jihyun Lee chipped in with 13 points in all-round Korean scoring show. Choul Kwon Choi fielded all his players – each of them for at least two minutes, and ten of them put their names in the scorers’ list.

Malaysia withered while Korea flourished.

“The pace got to us,” Malaysia coach Seck Yun Choo said.

“We tried to rattle them early on and tried to hold off their pressure. That was our plan. But then, they are a very quality opposition and they just out ran us.”

FIBA Asia
                        http://suratthani2010.fibaasia.net/s...ils.aspx?id=63

Comment

Japan's younger generation of girl players have been doing very well. Hopefully in the future this success translates to the adult program on the world stage.
                          aim low, score high

Comment

THA/PHI - Thailand bring cheers to home crowd
                            23/06/2010

SURAT THANI, Thailand (20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women): As if a colorful Opening Ceremony was not enough to impress the sizable crowd of Surat Thani school children, the hosts team dished out a consummate performance to beat Philippines 86-22 in the Level II game that followed the Opening Ceremony on Wednedsay.

“It (the crowd) surely was a factor for us,” said Thailand coach Xuan Min Zhao said.

“In this age group, playing in home conditions in front of a crowd that’s rooting for you, is a big boost,” said the Chinese.

Aungkana Baup with 23 points was the highest scorer for the hosts. All the Thai players took to the court, each of them for more than six minutes, and all of them scored.

Philippines, who had lost out the Level I qualifying to Malaysia by a whisker at Medan two years ago, struggled to find their rhythm against their taller opponents.

FIBA Asia

Comment

TPE/KAZ - Taipei rally to down Kazakhstan
                              23/06/2010

SURAT THANI, Thailand (20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Women): Chinese Taipei allowed Kazakhstan to do all the running in the initial parts of their Level I game before picking up their stride for an81-68 win to bring the curtains down for the opening day, on Wednesday.

Lin Yu-Ting scored a mammoth 29 points to lead the Chinese Taipei charge, 12 of them in the first half.

Wei Yu-Chun contributed 15 points, and 11 of them before the first half.

“The girls took time to settle down in the new conditions,” said Taipei coach Chen Mei-Li.

“But I’m happy we ended winning,” she said.

“We turned the ball over once too often,” lamented Kazakhstan coach Andrii Miekhovykh.

Kazakhstan turned the ball over 31 times against Taipei’s 21. And more importantly, Taipei converted 23 of the turnovers while Kazakshtan managed only four.

FIBA Asia

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information