Plannja Basket changes its name after 33 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plannja Basket changes its name after 33 years

The Basketball club Plannja has changed its name after attaining a new major sponsor: Länsförsäkringar.
    The new partnership has created a name change to LF Basket Norrbotten and the contract is valid for the next ten years.

This will be really, really weird. The name Plannja has been with the club for 33 years and is, I believe, the longest lasting partnership in basketball -in the world.
    Anyone know of any longer lasting one?

Anyway.

Weird.

Colour changes as well, from green and white to red and blue.

Weird.

Im shocked. Really shocked.
    Unicajism (or Unicajian Performance Fluctuation Syndrome: UPFS) in all its glory

I think this might as well be quite positive. On the one hand an established name disappears and that's bad for basketball followers used to the old name which has in fact credibility. Ask me to name a Swedish club and I'll say Plannja (I actually didn't know it was a brand name). On the other hand this might mean a positive shift in the way the club is organised and by the details you provided it seems that the club will get more attention and probably more money. As I always tend to hate calling clubs by their sponsor name, I applaud the decision to change it to Norrbotten
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
      I think this might as well be quite positive. On the one hand an established name disappears and that's bad for basketball followers used to the old name which has in fact credibility. Ask me to name a Swedish club and I'll say Plannja (I actually didn't know it was a brand name). On the other hand this might mean a positive shift in the way the club is organised and by the details you provided it seems that the club will get more attention and probably more money. As I always tend to hate calling clubs by their sponsor name, I applaud the decision to change it to Norrbotten
      No one outside of Sweden prolly. Its been around for ever. The thing with the name is that its not only a name change, its also an identity change.
      The company Plannja made a financial intervention in 1976 to rescue the club from bankruptcy and I dont think they had any ideas that the club in many ways would become more synonymous with the name than the company itself. Plannja has not been the company, it has been the club. So what is happening is, we are seeing the detachment of the club from itself.

LF Basket Norrbotten is the full name of the new club. LF stands for Länsförsäkringar, Basket is obvious and Norrbotten is the second part of the name of the company as well as the county/state Luleå /Plannja is from.
      So really, you can call it by its state name and its Norrbotten, by the company name and that too is Norrbotten which leaves you with...errr...Basket?!?
      This wont make any difference in the way the club is organized or the money it receives Id say, what it does is create financial stability since the current deal with Plannja was a year-to-year thing (with a struggling company in the construction business) and the new partnership is 10 years with pretty good option out conditions from what I can gather.

But still, close to 34 years down the pooper. A name that doesnt lend itself to chants and new colours...no more classic green! The fan club Absolut Green need to change its name as well. The drink Green Elevator (and the nick name of the club) doesnt meen anything any more and I need to get new ties for the games in anemic friggin Blue??? Come on people!
      Unicajism (or Unicajian Performance Fluctuation Syndrome: UPFS) in all its glory

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
        Anyone know of any longer lasting one?
        Helios company (www.helios.si) is part of BC Helios Domžale already for more than 30-35 years... they cover 90% of their budget.

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information