Martial arts films?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial arts films?

Anyone likes these? If so what are your favorite titles?
    aim low, score high

Yeah, sure... Been practicing Karate for 7 years, so of course

My number one favorite since I was a kid was "Blood Sport". Ah, it's just so great and the music is awesome!
    "Without Bach, God would be a complete second rate figure. Bach's music is the only argument proving the creation of the Universe cannot be regarded a complete failure" - Emil Cioran

Comment

I like the old Bruce Lee films like Enter the Dragon and Game of Death

Comment

...also fist of fury..and once upon a time in China parts
        sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
          Here are links of the movie (quite funny watching it in English )
          No kidding... hahaha (I don't remember ever watching a Chinese film that's dubbed in English.) Thanks for the links, will watch them.

Ever since Bruce Lee practically invented the genre 40 years ago there are now 4 types of martial art movies IMO (with regards to fight scenes):

#1 the hardcore (e.g. Ong Bak)
          #2 the artistic (e.g. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)
          #3 the funny (e.g. Rush Hour)
          #4 the stupid (e.g. Kung Fu Dunk...). Unfortunately most nowadays belong to this category...

My personal favorites are OUATIC ones... These films changed the genre. They essentially combined categories #1, #2 and #3 above. Jet is probably not much of a real fighter the way Bruce was, but as a movie martial artist he's clearly cream of the crop. After all these years there hasn't been anyone capable of replacing him. Tsui Hark's direction was also groundbreaking in too many ways to list. Also I'm biased because I grew up with these films
          Last edited by sinobball; 05-17-2010, 06:52 PM.
          aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
            Anyone likes these? If so what are your favorite titles?
            Yes.

Five Deadly Venoms & Return of the Five Deadly Venoms.
            Tai Chi Master
            Mystery of Chess Boxing
            Tom yum goong
            Anything with Bruce Lee.

Just to start. Love way more titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Czarkazem13 View Post
              Just to start. Love way more titles.
              You didn't even include the one in your profile...

It looks like you saw far more Shaw's Brothers than me... I've seen "Five Deadly Venoms" and agree it was good but those Chang Cheh films were way before my time . There was news a couple years back though about a remake of "5 venoms" with Maggie Q etc. but I guess the plan never came through.
              aim low, score high

Comment

There are many martial arts movies that I have also watched.

Here r some of my favorites:

1) Fist of Legend (Jet Li) (maybe one of the first movies I watched him in)

2) Winners and Sinners (Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung) (In Mandarin: "Qi mou ji miao wu fu xing" meaning "5 Lucky Stars")

3) Drunken Master (Jackie Chan)

4) The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Awesome Kung Fu movie) (In Mandarin: Shao Lin san shi liu fang)

5) Duel to the Death (in Mandarin: Xian si jue)

6) Iron Monkey (in Mandarin: Siu nin Wong Fei Hung ji: Tit Ma Lau)

7) Kickboxer (Jean Claude Van Damme)

8) Blood Sport (Jean Claude Van Damme)

Recent Movies:

9) Hero (Jet Li)

10) Fearless (Jet Li)

Comment

Minor correction: this is Cantonese... BTW the part before the colon is omittable just like in English, it basically just tells you it's one of the 800 Wong Fei Hung movies made (like the OUATIC series and "Drunken Master")

It's kind of funny, I think it was in 2002 when my African-American buddy talked about this "new" Kung-fu movie "Iron Monkey" in theaters and what-not, and after looking up the Chinese title, I was like "Didn't I see this one like 8 years ago?" I think "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" really promoted the genre in the U.S., that's why.

"Fist of Legend" has some of the best fight scenes ever IMO, but you know I'm a biased Jet Li fan...
                  aim low, score high

Comment

You didn't even include the one in your profile...

It looks like you saw far more Shaw's Brothers than me... I've seen "Five Deadly Venoms" and agree it was good but those Chang Cheh films were way before my time . There was news a couple years back though about a remake of "5 venoms" with Maggie Q etc. but I guess the plan never came through.
                    LOL. You're right, I didn't.

Shaw Brother's films are great. Like Jet Li's Chinese movies way better then U.S. Also, love non-martial arts Asian flicks too.

There are many martial arts movies that I have also watched.

Here r some of my favorites:

1) Fist of Legend (Jet Li) (maybe one of the first movies I watched him in)

2) Winners and Sinners (Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung) (In Mandarin: "Qi mou ji miao wu fu xing" meaning "5 Lucky Stars")

3) Drunken Master (Jackie Chan)

4) The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Awesome Kung Fu movie) (In Mandarin: Shao Lin san shi liu fang)

5) Duel to the Death (in Mandarin: Xian si jue)

7) Kickboxer (Jean Claude Van Damme)

8) Blood Sport (Jean Claude Van Damme)

Recent Movies:

9) Hero (Jet Li)

10) Fearless (Jet Li)
                    Hero, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and Drunken Master were good. Which Iron Monkey's, originals or remakes? However, I'm just not feeling any Jean Claude Van Damme movies (or Stephen Seagal for that matter).

Comment

Which Iron Monkey's, originals or remakes? However, I'm just not feeling any Jean Claude Van Damme movies (or Stephen Seagal for that matter).
                      Obviously Khalid meant the 1993 Donnie Yen version. I didn't even know there was an old version until you asked.

"HERO" isn't much of a martial arts film, but definitely one of my favorite Chinese movies ever. I think it's the music.

My favorite Van Damme & Seagal flick
                      aim low, score high

Comment

Hero, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and Drunken Master were good. Which Iron Monkey's, originals or remakes? However, I'm just not feeling any Jean Claude Van Damme movies (or Stephen Seagal for that matter).
                        The original one.
                        Most of Van Damme's movies suck but these 2 that were mentioned r his best and what brought him to stardom.

Comment

The original one.
                          Not based on the Cantonese title you provided

I saw a lot of JCVD movies but never remembered any name... Most of the plots to me sound too much 007-like...

Last year I saw an American film "Taken", I don't know if it's considered martial arts but the father is so bad-ass and never gets hit by a bullet.
                          aim low, score high

Comment

Not based on the Cantonese title you provided
                            Oh. I thought the 1993 version was the original one. so what's the name of the original film? Is it also Iron Monkey?

By the way Sino when your friend mentioned that he had just seen a new movie called Iron Monkey around 2002 it was because the movie was released in the U.S in 2001 (adjusted by Miramax with some changes and made more marketable for U.S audiences along with Quentin Tarantino directing it)

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information