2010 Korean NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Korean NT

Korea hires Hall of Fame coach Lenny Wilkens just for the Asian Games. The Koreans traditionally treat the Asian Games more important than should be. I heard players who win gold can skip the 1-year military requirement. Maybe a foreign coach will appear to be "fairer" with his selections.

FIBA-Asia '09 was bad for Korea, under rookie coach Hur Jae. For one thing he had problems with even using Julian Kim, and had no idea how to use Ha Seung-Jin. This year Korea naturalized a bunch of half-Koreans and some should help them much in the Asian Games.
    Last edited by sinobball; 05-20-2010, 01:38 PM.
    aim low, score high

Wow! South Koreans are dead serious on winning the Asiad gold. If they have Wilkens, my beloved Philippines has Rajko Toroman and they will surely give Korea, Iran and China a run for their money.
    Team Pilipinas.... ASTIG!!!

Comment

besides Lenny will coach american-korean players

But also we did that so lets see because they have quality
      To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
      1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Will he be the head coach or just as an advisor? The news is not clear...
        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
          Will he be the head coach or just as an advisor? The news is not clear...
          I'll bet five dollars that he WON'T be head coach.

Speaking of which, have the Koreans EVER invited a foreign coach in basketball?
          aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post

Speaking of which, have the Koreans EVER invited a foreign coach in basketball?
            Koreans are a proud race. I doubt they'll hire an American to coach their NT. Maybe an adviser or scout.

Anyway, naturalized Kor-ams? LOL. made my day

Comment

lenny wilkens as a scout for sokor? i don't think so. with his caliber and being the winningest coach in nba history that's something i doubt to happen. being a coach perhaps is somewhat nearer that if sokor is really dead serious in getting back the chinese or the iranians in the fiba-asia.
              "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Wilkens will scout players and help in trainings. Yoo Jae-Hak is the new NT coach.
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Too bad nobody took my bet...
                  Originally posted by sinobball View Post
                  aim low, score high

Comment

Korea named their 25-man preliminary squad for AG today.

Jeon Tae-Pung (Tony Akins) 1980 178cm Jeongju KCC
                    Kim Seung-Hyun 1978 178cm Daegu Orions
                    Yang Dong-Geun 1981 180cm Ulsan Mobis
                    Ju Hee-Jong 1977 182cm Seoul SK
                    Lee Jung-Suk 1982 183cm Seoul Samsung
                    Shin Myeong-Ho 1983 185cm Sangmu (Army)
                    Park Chan-Hui 1987 190cm Anyang KT&G
                    Gang Byeong-Hyeon 1985 193cm Jeongju KCC
                    Kim Sung-Chul 1976 194cm Anyang KT&G
                    Yang Hee-Jong 1984 194cm Sangmu (Army)
                    Bang Sung-Yoon 1982 195cm Seoul SK
                    Lee Kyu-Sup 1977 198cm Seoul Samsung
                    Yoon Ho-Young 1984 198cm Wonju Dongbu
                    Song Young-Jin 1978 198cm Anyang KT&G
                    Heo Il-Young 1985 195cm Daegu Orions
                    Ham Ji-Hoon 1984 198cm Sangmu (Army)
                    Kim Min-Soo (Julian Fernandez) 1982 200cm Seoul SK
                    Oh Se-Geun 1987 200cm Chung-ang University (KUBL)
                    Lee Dong-Jun (Daniel Sandrin) 1980 200cm Daegu Orions
                    Lee Seung-Jun (Eric Sandrin) 1978 204cm Seoul Samsung
                    Choi Jin-Soo (formerly Kim) 1989 204cm University of Maryland (NCAA)
                    Kim Joo-Sung 1979 205cm Wonju Dongbu
                    Kim Min-Uk 1990 205cm Yonsei University (KUBL)
                    Kim Jong-Kyu 1991 207cm Kyunghee University (KUBL)
                    Ha Seung-Jin 1985 221cm Jeongju KCC

There are 2 (relatively) tall guys born in the 1990s:
                    Kim Jong-kyu 1991 207cm

Kim Min-uk 1990 205cm
                    Last edited by sinobball; 06-01-2010, 11:40 PM.
                    aim low, score high

Comment

Lenny Wilkens was a tremendous guard during his playing days and has a really keen eye on players that excel. Thumbs up for South Korea.

I was hoping that Wilkens would coach the NT and our Developmental Team would be handled by Toroman... Then I woke up.

Comment

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...lenny.wilkens/
                        Wilkens, 72, will head to Seoul on June 4 for a week to help the team's coaching staff put together a roster that will scrimmage NBA players in the Las Vegas summer league.

"They asked me to take part, so I met with their commissioner and the coach and we have had conversations," Wilkens told SI.com "We are working on finalizing it right now."
                        So Korea will participate in LV Summer League, the 3rd Asian team to do so after China (2007) and Iran (2008).

I hope Wilkens doesn't find Seoul too dangerous to visit at this time, though.
                        Last edited by sinobball; 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM.
                        aim low, score high

Comment

^sokor and nokor are really banging each other huh...
                          GL to the Koreans
                          Support!! all our sports....

Comment

Korea basketball team adviser Wilkens to focus on defense - Jun 7, 2010 (by Rick Ross)

Lenny Wilkens the Basketball Hall of Famer as both player and coach who now will serve as a
                            technical adviser for Korean men's national basketball team for the Guangzhou Asian Games,
                            will focus on defense in an aim for gold in November.

Wilkens voiced in a press conference held in Seoul, Sunday that he agrees with national team head
                            coach Yoo Jae-hak in terms of tactics for the Asian Games, as Yoo asserted that defense
                            is the key to cope with the trend in Asian basketball.

I've seen basketball all over the world and defense can help you in games.
                            I certainly agree with coach Yoo's emphasis on the importance of defense, Wilkens said.

'From the clips I've watched of Yoo training the Mobis, I could see he's the leader putting weight on defense.
                            I think we'll get along pretty good,' the 1996 U.S. Olympic basketball team head coach added.

Yoo, who was named the head coach of the national squad for his leadership in winning the
                            Korean Basketball League (KBL) Championship title three times including 2010 season, was also quoted as saying,
                            The Asian players have improved nowadays in terms of height and defense that the ones
                            towering over 190 centimeters can still outplay relatively shorter Korean players in defense plays and footwork.

I'd like to underline that defense is the way to survive, Yoo added.

The significance of the defensive tactics is useful for a team when campaigning against stronger opponents,
                            according to Wilkens when he was asked about the competiveness between the KBL squads and those in the NBA.
                            As the Koreans have to take on superior teams such as China, the suggestion seems worthy.

I felt we have some kind of chemistry from the first time I met him,' Wilkens said of Yoo,
                            hinting at a good sign of harmony which certainly could lead the team to exert for a remarkable achievement.

The KBL has invited Wilkens in order to regain the title in the Asian Games for the first
                            time since the 2002 event in Busan, and boost the poularity of the domestic
                            league which now falls behind football and baseball.

The newly assigned American technical adviser will cooperate with Yoo to select the
                            12 players from 27 during the second overseas training in August in the western region of the United States.
                            The first session is scheduled for July 5 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Wilkens, 72, is a legendary basketball player whose career is highlighted with numerous titles.

As a player, he was named NBA All-Star nine times in 1963-65, 67-71, and 73,
                            including the All-Star MVP in 1971, as well as having the honor of his name being put on the
                            NBA's 50 Greatest Players. He was induced to the Hall of Fame in 1989.

Wilken's career as a coach continued to shine as he won the 1979 NBA Championship with the Seattle SuperSonics.
                            He was an assistant coach of the 'Dream Team' in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics which had Michael Jordan.

The recognized sportsman added the Coach of the Year in 1994,
                            and was inducted to the Hall of Fame in 1998, this time as a coach.
                            Lenny Wilkens
                            By Yi Whan-woo
                            Korea Times intern
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

NT Head Coach Yoo anounced 15 roster for 1st training camp in USA

NT Head Coach Yoo anounced 15 roster for 1st training camp in USA.

G
                              Yang Dong-Geun 1981 180cm Ulsan Mobis
                              Lee Jung-Suk 1982 183cm Seoul Samsung
                              Jeon Tae-Pung (Tony Akins) 1980 178cm Jeongju KCC
                              Kang Byeong-Hyeon 1985 193cm Jeongju KCC
                              Park Chan-Hui 1987 190cm Anyang KT&G
                              Cho Sung-Min 1983 190cm Busan KT

F
                              Kim Sung-Chul 1976 194cm Anyang KT&G
                              Song Young-Jin 1978 198cm Anyang KT&G
                              Lee Kyu-Sup 1977 198cm Seoul Samsung
                              Yang Hee-Jong 1984 194cm Sangmu (Army)

C
                              Kim Joo-Sung 1979 205cm Wonju Dongbu
                              Ham Ji-Hoon 1984 198cm Sangmu (Army)
                              Lee Seung-Jun (Eric Sandrin) 1978 204cm Seoul Samsung
                              Oh Se-Geun 1987 200cm Chung-ang University (KUBL)
                              Kim Jong-Kyu 1991 207cm Kyunghee University (KUBL)

※ Ju Hee-Jung(1977-182-G) out cuz shoulder injury during nt training,
                              and Ha Seung-Jin(1985-221-C), Bang Sung-Yoon(1982-195-F) and Kim Seung-Hyun(1978-178-G) out till they get back from injury clearly.

※ Choi Jin-Soo(1989-204-F) and Kim Min-Soo(1982-200-F) is not enough for Head Coach Yoo. He said they need more prepare to join NT.

※ 2 naturalized players are in the roster(Jeon Tae-Pung and Lee Seung-Jun). 1 will be chosen after 2nd training camp.
                              http://sports.khan.co.kr/news/sk_ind...d=530301&pt=nv

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information