Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali Farokhmanesh - March Madness Star, an Iranian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali Farokhmanesh - March Madness Star, an Iranian?

Good day Iranian posters! i have a quick query...

And some good players.

Glance at the Panthers’ roster, and it’s impossible not to find an interesting story. Shooting guard Ali Farokhmanesh landed knockout punches against both Kansas and UNLV by swishing 3-pointers in the waning seconds. The son of an Iranian immigrant volleyball coach has been the team’s most clutch player all season.

FULL ARTICLE HERE.

The article is all about the Northern Iowa squad which is a US NCAA DIV I school after they made the headlines after this week's unbelievable upset over Kansas University (seeded no. 1)... Ali Farokmanesh is one of the toasts of the tournament after a pair of clutch performances to lead them to a spot in the Sweet Sixteen.

My question is: he's of Iranian descent according to the Yahoo article, is he eligible to play for your national team? Thanks.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

there's several post about this btw..

though his team probably not go through because SI jinx'ed the team ...
    new SI cover,
    "BHINEKA TUNGGAL IKA"

Comment

I heard Yahoo Sports' Angela Sun say Ali Farokmanesh was the son of an Iranian Olympic volleyball player
      Philippine Basketball Review

Cebu Travel Blog

Team Building Services in Cebu

Comment

Yes, it seems like Farokmanesh would certainly be eligible for the Iranian National Team. His father is Iranian.

The question is whether he is good enough. As an NCAA DI player, he's certainly a capable player, but is he good enough to be on the NT? I don't know. He's a guard and if Iran has trouble with one position, it's the guard. Playing in the NCAA is an incredible honor and there are fantastic players there, but playing on the international scene is another matter altogether.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by satria_muda View Post
          there's several post about this btw..

though his team probably not go through because SI jinx'ed the team ...
          new SI cover,
          Oh really, can you provide me a link where can i find the discussion? Thanks.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

another torn for the other asian teams if he will be added to the already superb iranian team.
            "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
              Yes, it seems like Farokmanesh would certainly be eligible for the Iranian National Team. His father is Iranian.

The question is whether he is good enough. As an NCAA DI player, he's certainly a capable player, but is he good enough to be on the NT? I don't know. He's a guard and if Iran has trouble with one position, it's the guard. Playing in the NCAA is an incredible honor and there are fantastic players there, but playing on the international scene is another matter altogether.
              Agreed.

Comment

It seems none of the Iranian fans in here are interested about Ali!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kerdito View Post
                  It seems none of the Iranian fans in here are interested about Ali!!!
                  As confused as you... i mean, the best it can do is add a capable body to their NT pool... i am still trying to search for any related discussion here in IBN but am unsuccesful so far.

Maybe Iranians just doesn't understand the appeal of the March Madness?

(Blair, i agree that he's not really a great prospect relative to other players but he's the story of the tournament so far; the least it could have done, or could do, is illicit excitable reactions from our Iranian friends with Ali being part Iranian?)

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                    As confused as you... i mean, the best it can do is add a capable body to their NT pool... i am still trying to search for any related discussion here in IBN but am unsuccesful so far.

Maybe Iranians just doesn't understand the appeal of the March Madness?

(Blair, i agree that he's not really a great prospect relative to other players but he's the story of the tournament so far; the least it could have done, or could do, is illicit excitable reactions from our Iranian friends with Ali being part Iranian?)
                    what I like about iranians as they appreciate their homegrown talent so much that even you are good in usa or any other country you should prove yourself in iran look at benny koochie for example.

Okay I do not want to say these but iranians do not buy hype much than others whats more important is the team than the "I" no secret why they are successful in team sports(basketball,soccer,volleyball)

If you have a team follow the Iran formula they like children playing together they cheer in each other
                    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

The only thread I know about is this one, about Mid-East Players in the NCAA Tournament.
                      Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                      Absolutely, Durden. This kid is the story of the tournament. The points he scored against Kansas were so exciting and he seems to be a great player. I would think that the Iranian NT would at least be interested in looking at him, although I never know about the political considerations.
                      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Guys, as far as I'm concerned representing Iran is an honour of the highest degree that Iranians around the world dream about. It can't be handed out just like that. There are other criteria than just technical skills. I'd rather have a side that go down fighting with honour, than a bunch of hired guns that have no feel for their jersey, good as they might be.

Now, I understand the boy's father is Iranian. That's a good start. But how Iranian does he feel himself? What is he willing to sacrifice for it? Is he like Freydoon Zandi who gave up the chance to represent Germany's football team and chose Iran instead?

I say let him apply for his papers through the normal channels, come to Iran in due time, hang around a little, visit the family, get up to date on the language, travel the country, bow at the tomb of Cyrus and then if he still wishes to move forward, let him ask to be considered and then be treated like everybody else. That's the only way for him to appreciate what he is doing and to maintain high morale within the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozorgmehr View Post
                          Guys, as far as I'm concerned representing Iran is an honour of the highest degree that Iranians around the world dream about. It can't be handed out just like that. There are other criteria than just technical skills. I'd rather have a side that go down fighting with honour, than a bunch of hired guns that have no feel for their jersey, good as they might be.

Now, I understand the boy's father is Iranian. That's a good start. But how Iranian does he feel himself? What is he willing to sacrifice for it? Is he like Freydoon Zandi who gave up the chance to represent Germany's football team and chose Iran instead?

I say let him apply for his papers through the normal channels, come to Iran in due time, hang around a little, visit the family, get up to date on the language, travel the country, bow at the tomb of Cyrus and then if he still wishes to move forward, let him ask to be considered and then be treated like everybody else. That's the only way for him to appreciate what he is doing and to maintain high morale within the team.
                          You speak wisely, but let those contacts begin then. I suppose people in the Iranian federation know about him right? Matbe he's more Iranian than you guys think
                          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                            You speak wisely, but let those contacts begin then. I suppose people in the Iranian federation know about him right? Matbe he's more Iranian than you guys think
                            Well, let's then, brother. Nothing's holding him back. In the words of our Lobobonese brother Khalil Gibran: "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

I figure it'll take him more than a year to get all his papers, which mind you, will bring him many hardships with little to no rewards.

Once in Iran, the country will enter every cell of his body and will forever be an important part of his life. A little like cancer...

As for Iranian federation officials (any sport), I'll be happy the day they will be able to tell their heads from their a$$es...

Comment

Originally posted by Bozorgmehr View Post
                              Well, let's then, brother. Nothing's holding him back. In the words of our Lobobonese brother Khalil Gibran: "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

I figure it'll take him more than a year to get all his papers, which mind you, will bring him many hardships with little to no rewards.

Once in Iran, the country will enter every cell of his body and will forever be an important part of his life. A little like cancer...

As for Iranian federation officials (any sport), I'll be happy the day they will be able to tell their heads from their a$$es...
                              Iranian NT coach, Veselin Matic is already in contact with Ali.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2010, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information