X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball in Albania

Albania Goes Back To School To Grow The Game
    by Paul Nilsen

When standing in the vast expanse of Skanderbeg Square in the centre of Tirana, you don't have to stroll too far to find plenty of kids playing basketball in the backstreets of the Albanian capital. After all, Albania is a nation located at the very heart of a regional basketball hotbed.

However unlike many of its immediate or near neighbours in the Balkans, Albania has yet to make significant strides in effectively piecing together a huge appetite for the game among it's younger population and harnessing that untapped potential to help build national teams that can deliver true progression and ultimately, genuine hope of promotion to Division A.

It is something the Albanian Basketball Federation are acutely aware of and a major reason why 2010 could well go down in history as a landmark year in the development of the game when the tide finally began to turn and things really began to change.

After spending a significant amount of hard work developing a programme to tackle the shortcomings of the past, the Federation are determined to make the most of it's young talent. They have teamed up with a range of partners including Raiffeisen Bank and FIBA Europe to develop an exciting new educational project that could prove a real turning point.

Last month the Federation launched their first ever major schools programme which inaugurated a brand new perspective on the development and the distribution of basketball in Albania. For some people living in countries where schools programmes have been running for decades it might seem a little too easy to sneer at this project and sure it is something that every single person associated with Albanian basketball would have liked to have seen sooner.

However, it is worth being mindful of the fact that these nations have probably not had to deal with the myriad of historical, political and resource issues heaped on the basketball administration in Tirana. Having lived something of a hand to mouth existence in comparison to the richer nations for many years, playing catch-up is hardly a concern. All that matters is that inward investment for this major project could finally pay dividends in the medium to long term future.

Secretary General Korab Llazani is excited about the years ahead and believes this project is a perfect partnership with Raiffeisen Bank providing vital sponsorship and the Federation offering technical and logistical support.

"Basketball in Albania is considered the second most widely played sport after football. It's activities are spread out across the whole of Albania and in different age groups as well as being played amongst both boys and girls as well as men and women."

"We are working hard to try and improve a range of factors to achieve our targets in the next few years which are to get basketball into the mainstream, put our energy into involving basketball more and more into the school curriculum and to extend such projects across Albania."

"But this is not the only effort, our objective is to recruit trainers to qualify them as coaches for a better quality of basketball in the future."

"We are trying to improve the infrastructure and are focusing on young age groups in particular. As part of this we are trying to change the formula of the Championships involving all of the youth categories including U14, U16 and U18 as well as trying to develop recruitment."

"As part of this strategy we have this special project being implemented in Albania to really reach out and improve school basketball. First it will be based on improving conditions and facilities and soon after it will concentrate more on the basketball development of players at young ages."

"We are also hoping that basketball mainstreaming will see a natural increase in quality coming through."

The project, which will be piloted for the first year, will see 2,500 children benefitting across Albania and not just in the capital. In cities like Shkodra, Durresi, Vlora, Korça and Elbasani the Federation believes this project can facilitate a real revival in the fortunes of basketball and provide a genuine shot in the arm for the existing infrastructure.

Ersid Ljuca led the way for the Albania National team last summer with an impressive 18 points per game during their Division B campaign and he has been quick to give his backing to the Federation in their efforts to find the stars of the future.

"I like very much the idea to start a programme in the schools, and I think they should have done this a long time ago." Explained Ljuca.

"Through this initiative, more youngsters will be encouraged to play basketball and to maybe have a big future in the sport."

"I think the basketball in Albania is becoming better and better every year, but I still think it needs more involvement from the clubs to bring more sponsors and to develop better coaches who know how to work with the players."

"In particular those who can encourage younger talents to become players for a higher level because Albania has a lot of talents and we need to capitalise on them."

One of the biggest barriers to the development of youth basketball in Albania is that due to funding restrictions, the Federation are not yet in a position to offer any kind of consistent U16, U18 or U20 national team programme for players to aspire to.

It is something close to the heart of Ljuca who isn't unsympathetic to the resource issue but feels there are other options that could still improve standards.

"In the summer I think there should be more organised camps where these players can practice more with coaches who get more involved in the practice, teach them more things, because the future of Albania is in their hands."

The Federation certainly face a real challenge in developing a fully Division B youth programme in the future but the new schools programme is part of this longer term strategy and it is an ambition that they feel can and will one day be fulfilled.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

I just love these kind of threads. We read with great interest, we learn a lot of stuff and we sympathize with a country that is developing the game with so much care and love, to catch up with time lost for decades.

I'd love to also see some photos of facilities already established, the lineup and photo of the national Albanian side, significant players....
    Last edited by worldbasketball; 03-02-2010, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Ermal Kuqo... That's all I know.

Comment

That kind of actions will surely improve albanian basketball in the years to come. Especially if albanian kosovars players decide to play for Albania. Actually, there are some very talented prospects among young players. Unfortunately for albanian basketball, most of them play or will play for other countries.

Elio Sadiku (PG, 187, 1991, Orleans FRA)
        Gezim Morina (PF, 204, 1992, Olimpija Ljubljana SLO)
        Besnik Bekteshi (PG, 186, 1993, Ludwigsburg GER)
        Eljon Harlicaj (SF, 198, 1993 Lugano SWI)
        Mergim Brahimaj (PF, 200, 1994, Arbedo SWI)
        Erjon Kastrati (SF, 196, 1994, Olimpija Ljubljana SLO)
        Burak Haciismail (PF, 206, 1994, Tofas, TUR)
        Kenan Sipahi (PG, 192, 1995, Tofas TUR)

For instance Sadiku played for France at the U16 EP (2007). Bekteshi will likely play for German U17 NT at the world championship. Harlicaj played for Switzerland last summer and Brahimaj is expected to do the same this year. While Sipahi and Haciismail are among the best players in turkish U16 NT. About Morina and Kastrati, I won't be surprised if Slovenia gives them citizenship.

Albania have also some talented players in USA, especially the Gjikondi brothers. The younger Egi (PF, 203, 1993, Malden HS USA) is very talented and may join a NCAA division 1 program. His older brother Kristi (SF, 195, 1991) is one of the best players in Umass Boston (NCAA division 3).

Other interesting players are Endrit Hycenagolli (PF, 203, 1988, Partizani Tirana), who is one of the leaders of albanian NT, Dardan Berisha (SG, 193, 1988, Polonia POL) and Muhamed Hasani (SG, 191, 1989, Rutgers NCAA).

Comment

Erjon Kastrati was just picked to be amongst 40 (they call them TOP40 European talents of their age group, I doubt, but its still great for him) players (age group 1993-1994) to participate on Jordan Nike Camp in Istanbul (out of those 40 they pick European part of World selection for Jordan Brand Classic in NY).

Originally posted by albiongate View Post
          About Morina and Kastrati, I won't be surprised if Slovenia gives them citizenship.
          Morina said he would not forgive himself (or his family would not forgive him) if Kosovo would have NT in the future and he wouldn't be able to represent his country... I guess he does not want to play for Slovenian NT although as I heard they want to give him the citizenship.
          Last edited by elaj; 03-04-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Pragmatism Mixed With Hope-Albania Part II
            By Paul Nilsen

By their own admission, Albania is a Federation still hamstrung by financial constraints and as yet, unable to meet both its own ambitions and those of the young players it serves. Making hard choices is a perennial challenge meaning strategy and decision making are of paramount importance for everyone involved.

One of the biggest barriers to the progression of Albania at National Team levels is the limited ability to run a consistent programme at youth level which has meant many talented young players being thrust into the deep waters of the senior National Teams without having had extensive experience of International youth competition.

Even the Womens senior team itself has had to be patient and accept the piecemeal approach of a Federation having to work with one hand tied behind its back due to resource limitations. This year, it is their ‘turn' to benefit from the slim pickings the Federation can offer and after a period of absence from the competitive scene, they are back for 2010.

However, far from being all doom and gloom, there is genuine optimism that the future of womens basketball in Albania is bright and progress is being made and this will continue. Having had to be content with participation in the Mediterranean Games last year, the Women can now look forward to testing their progression from a Division C campaign back in 2008.

Not surprisingly, the Women are raring to go with the challenge of Division B match-ups against Bosnia and Herzegovina, Estonia, Luxemburg and Switzerland all lying in wait. It will be tough but being competitive is their main ambition at this stage.

Meanwhile on the domestic front, Albania has just as many womens clubs as mens competing in the senior national league and Korab Llazani is hoping to build on all of these positives.

The next natural step, according to the Federation Secretary General is participation at U18 National Team level - if resources can be stretched that far.

"As far as concerning the women going back to participate in Division B is concerned, it is considered a significant challenge for us and is accompanied by a desire to ensure the participation of women at the U18 level."

"All this will hopefully be based on the results of the current work being done with the younger age groups right now such as the U16's and those currently at school level."

"This is the most important challenge we are facing and it requires not only infrastructural support of human resources but also an economical bill which is, as yet, not totally covered."

"We really hope to be able to find a solution to these problems gradually, in order to fulfil our desire to fully implement our project and realise the ambitions of the Federation."

"In the Albanian league right now we actively play eight womens clubs whose
            results feature prominently on our website and while everyone is working to improve their level, they practice regularly and their development and participation with the clubs is a whole year activity."

The return to Division B by the Women is something that has been fully endorsed by the star of the senior Mens team Ersid Ljuca who is delighted to see the prospect of potential progress.

He explained, "I think is important for the players to have a stronger championship for both men and women and by playing in Division B too, the women will have more opportunities to show their qualities and improve their skills in order to reach a higher level."

While Ljuca is only too happy to lend his support to the Women, he has his own business to take care of when it comes to his own Division B campaign later this year and the mission of improving on their efforts last time.

In 2009, the Albanian men only managed a couple of wins and will be hoping to build on this having been drawn against Sweden, Azerbaijan, Belarus and Romania this time around. Ljuca however isn't interested in taking small steps - he is demanding his team reach for the top and raise their expectations and ambitions.

"We could have had more chances for the last season in Division B, if only we had shown more motivation and concentration when we played the weaker teams like Cyprus and Romania."

"At home we played very well against better teams like Switzerland and Belarus so I think we need to concentrate on playing hard during every game no matter who it is against. Only then the better results will come."

"For this next Division B, we are expecting to have a better team and we are going to prepare ourselves better for these games."

"Like I said before, we have shown we can play very well when we have more motivation and concentration, so I think for this season, we can be a big surprise and possibly even get to first place in the group!"

Ljuca was the shining light for the team last time out and enjoyed some big numbers and it will be tough coming up against the likes of Sweden who could enjoy the services of players such as NBA star rookie Jonas Jerebko.

Nevertheless, nothing daunts the fearless Ljuca who has been brought up on the game and travelled enough since childhood just to appreciate the fruits of the game and what can be harvested from sheer hard work.

"I grow up in Montenegro where we had a very big school for basketball and since then I have travelled to play for many teams in many locations."

"I started with Loncen-Cetinje then went to Buducnost, Pristina-Kosovo, Saudi-Arabia, Romania, FYR of Macedonia and at present, I am playing in Lebanon in a very strong championship with some very good players."

"Every time I play for my club or my country, I feel it is important to get big numbers if possible and also be a good team player."

"You must always play with the heart and give all your best all the time in everything you do. It is the same in life too because only like this, you can really help your team and be recognised and appreciated as a professional player."

The pragmatic and hard-working approach of Ljuca is certainly impressive and just the type of attitude required for everyone involved in trying to improve basketball in Albania. For when faced with these kind of challenges, being pragmatic is an absolute necessity.

With that in mind, spare a thought for the Federation when it comes to the tricky topic of Albanian born Ermal Kuqo who famously turned down the opportunity to play for his country of birth in favour of Turkey a few years ago.

As if that in itself wasn't enough of a disappointment, the player rubbed salt into the wounds by later stating in an interview that he felt the Albanian Government and Federation didn't care about being represented well by its athletes.

It is a comment that still rankles slightly in Tirana with Llazani explaining, "Regarding Ermal Kuqo - what he states is his own personal opinion and he does not have a clear view over the financial possibilities the ABF owns."

"The ABF actually has in its possession, only 90 000 Euros, accorded, for its activities, the same figure has been available the previous year."

The frustration of Kuqo is matched by the Federation themselves who are no less frustrated at not yet being able to deliver services which match their ambition and passion for the game. Over time, that situation will hopefully change as they try their best to play catch-up with their neighbours in the region.

However for now, reality bites and pragmatism remains very much a word worth remembering.
            Artificial Nature

Comment

From what I've seen at FibaEurope website, Ermal Kuqo is playing with Albanian NT in Division B games now.

So, FIBA gave him a special permit? Anyway, great news for his home country.
              5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
                From what I've seen at FibaEurope website, Ermal Kuqo is playing with Albanian NT in Division B games now.

So, FIBA gave him a special permit? Anyway, great news for his home country.
                Interesting. But he did play for Turkey previously right? Weird no news came up about this change.
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by albiongate View Post
                  Burak Haciismail (PF, 206, 1994, Tofas, TUR)
                  Kenan Sipahi (PG, 192, 1995, Tofas TUR)
                  I knew about Sipahi but not Haciismail, who's having a good tournament in EC16 nowadays. Last game 22pts (10/11fg) 9 rebs. He's born in Prizren according to Fiba website. Together with other youngsters, these guys could definitely take Albanian bball to better places. Sad for the country.

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                  Interesting. But he did play for Turkey previously right? Weird no news came up about this change.
                  Yeah. He played in EC, WBC and many other international games with Turkish NT. And he always played with passion and heart. I carried a picture of his with Kerem Gonlum as avatar like a year at IBN. Well, as a Turkish citizen I am so grateful to him, but it's great that he can help his other country from now on.
                  5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information