PDA

View Full Version : Afrobasket 2011

Pages : [1] 2

rikhardur
02-26-2010, 05:16 PM
http://www.fiba-afrique.org/images/stories/Articles/fiba/logo1.jpg

Afrobasket men 2011 - Côte d’Ivoire polishes up its application

The president of Ivorian Basketball Federation (FIBB), Koré Moise, presented to FIBA Africa’s secratary general, Dr alphonse Bilé on Monday 22nd February 2010, the lastest development relating to the application file Côte d’ivoire to the hosting of afrobasket men 2011. Koré Moïse assured the secretary general, as the signature of the administrative and financial documents by the State of Cote d'Ivoire, the partners and FIBB is closer. He announced He announced the imminence of the starting up of building work of two new arenas, but also the works of rehabilitation of the sports center of Treichville.

Besides these headways, Mr Koré gave insurances concerning the works of rehabilitation of the hotel Ivoire where will be accommodated delegations, but also on the internal transportation. After the presentation of president Koré, Dr Alphonse Bilé, the General Secretary of FIBA Africa explained to the Ivorian delegation, the rights and obligations of the FIBB, at the level of the production and of the marketing, within the framework of the Afrobasket 2011. He educated the Ivorian federation on the mechanism and the guidelines that FIBA intends to establish henceforth on the subject.
Date was set for the end of the month of Mars to know the name of the hosting country of the Afrobasket men 2011.
http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.php?titre=actu&id=6060

rocketstar47
03-01-2010, 05:29 AM
..iTs been an honor for ivory coast to host
this kind of event ,coz they are willing to stop angolas african basketball championship rally as well as iran did in asia of stopping china.....

__________________________________________________ __________________
go gilas ______ready to beat the dream team
_

rikhardur
03-22-2010, 12:33 PM
CIV - FIBA Africa name Ivory Coast as host of 2011 FIBA Africa Championship for Men

ABIDJAN (2011 FIBA Africa Championship for Men) - Ivory Coast has been officially named as hosts the 26th edition of 2011 FIBA Africa Championship for men (Afrobasket 2011).

The decision was taken during the extraordinary meeting of the Executive Committee of FIBA Africa, held on 17th March 2010 in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.

Three countries - Ivory Coast, Madagascar and Nigeria - applied to host the Afrobasket 2011 and the decision to hand the hosting right to Ivory Coast was reached after the fourth meeting of the Executive Committee of Africa's continental federation in which the committee went through the bidding files of each of the three countries.

With the awarding of the 2011 edition of the biggest basketball showpiece in Africa to Ivory Coast, next year's Championship will be the second time the FIBA Africa Zone-III nation plays host to the gathering of Africa stars, having staged the 13th edition of the competition in 1985.

A deadline has been fixed for the end of June 2010 for the 2009 runner-up to start the building works of its new playing arena and the launching of the activities relating to the event.

Should the deadline not be reached or the hosting compromised in any way, the right to stage the Championship will be forfeited to Madagascar, who staged the 2009 edition of the Women Championship.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/39018/arti.html

rebbeka
03-24-2010, 11:46 AM
I am waiting for this Great shocker championship.

Regard,

rebbeka

rikhardur
07-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Cape Verde will not count on Rodrigo Mascarenhas, Marito and Jefferson Gomes for the qualifiers. The players claim they were contacted too late by the federation, something which did not happen with other players.

rikhardur
09-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Angola could organise the championship if Ivory Coast fails to meet deadlines.

bobby6
09-23-2010, 10:08 AM
what about the stadium in Ivoire Costa? are they big?

Mojado
09-23-2010, 07:48 PM
what about the stadium in Ivoire Costa? are they big?

There is only one:
http://www.fibb.ci/images/terrain.jpg

rocketstar47
09-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Who do you think will win the AFROBASKET?

rikhardur
09-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Angola? :D

CKR13
10-02-2010, 04:48 AM
Eric Banda expresses interest to play for the Zimbabwe NT:

Harare — FORMER JBC star player Eric Banda, now plying his trade across the border in Mozambique at Costa do Sol, is relishing a call to the senior men' national team when the qualifiers for the All Africa Games begin.

Banda is looking forward to be part of the national team that will compete during the All Africa Games set for Mozambique next year.

He hopes to use what he has learnt in Mozambique in the national team and add value during the qualifying matches.

Besides the qualifiers for the All Africa Games, there are qualifiers for the Africa Cup of Nations.

These qualifying matches will run concurrently

Banda has won various medals since his school days at Embakwe High School in Plumtree and Milton High in Bulawayo.

The Bulawayo star took his basketball career to another level, playing in the national league before his move to Mozambique last year.

His first club was Giants Basketball Club in Bulawayo, where he won seven league titles.

From Giants, Banda switched base and joined Harare based side JBC under the guidance of Addison Chiware.

Banda won nine Most Valuable Player (MVP) awards and has been capped 18 times in the national team.

In his first season in the Mozambican league, which is sponsored by Vodacom, Banda won the championship trophy with Maxaquene and was voted the league' MVP.

After a stint with Maxaquene, Banda this season joined Costa do Sol.

Last season he averaged 19 points, 13 rebounds, two blocks and 14 assists per game.

The former JBC kingpin is now eyeing a move to the United States of America.

Banda feels he has the capacity to play in the NBA.

The Mozambican basketball league runs from August to December and has 10 teams.

Banda is not the only foreigner at Costa do Sol as there is also a Congolese player in the team.

"At the end of last season the league management committee changed rules governing the foreign quota system.

"The new rule was that only two foreigners can be registered by a club.

"At Maxaquene we were three foreigners, including two Americans, and I was approached by Costa do Sol and made the switch.

Since my move to the Mozambican league, my performance has vastly improved and there is still room for improvement.

"In the Mozambican league the game is more technical and funding is abundant as sponsors scramble to sponsor teams.

"Some of the sponsors include airline, banks and cellphone companies.

"Our club is sponsored by a cellular company called MCell and a construction company owned by a Portuguese," Banda said.

Banda said the Mozambique national team will report for camp next week to start preparations for the Africa Cup of Nations.

Mozambique will not be taking part in the All Africa Games qualifiers, as they are the host country.

Some of the nations that will battle during the Africa Cup of Nations Cup include Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa, Malawi, Namibia, Swaziland and Botswana.

Banda also has a passion for football when he is not on the basketball court.

He played for Highlanders juniors in primary school.

In Mozambique, Banda follows the Costa do Sol soccer team coached by Zimbabwean David "Yogi" Mandigora, the former Dynamos mentor.

-allafrica.com (http://allafrica.com/stories/201010020127.html)

dxjayrock2008
10-02-2010, 04:50 AM
Angola? :D

As always. Lol. :D

enomakos
12-04-2010, 12:12 PM

nigeria

mvblair
12-06-2010, 02:49 PM
nigeriaIf Nigeria would spend more time together as a team, they could conquer Afrobasket. But their team always comes together very late and they don't get much time to prepare. That's a shame because they could have the most talented roster.

enomakos
12-13-2010, 05:25 PM
If Nigeria would spend more time together as a team, they could conquer Afrobasket. But their team always comes together very late and they don't get much time to prepare. That's a shame because they could have the most talented roster.

you are right,i hope the administrator of the game in nigeria have learn some lesson

rocketstar47
01-03-2011, 05:49 AM
If Nigeria would spend more time together as a team, they could conquer Afrobasket. But their team always comes together very late and they don't get much time to prepare. That's a shame because they could have the most talented roster.

Your right bro Nigerians has a lot of talent however they are not form properly
by their federation

BBallfanJ
01-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Could the Congo be a team on the rise in Africa, with players like Ibaka and Eyenga in the NBA?

rikhardur
01-06-2011, 02:44 AM
Could the Congo be a team on the rise in Africa, with players like Ibaka and Eyenga in the NBA?
Well for Ibaka looks like he's much more inclined to play for Spain.

zlim
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM

They are not form the same Congo, Eyenga is from DR Congo and Ibaka belong to Congo Brazaville.

Mojado
01-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Ibaka played for the Republic of Congo's junior-national team 2006 in the African Champs in South Africa, so Spain needs to bribe their federation to make him available for their senior's national team.
Eyenga is not from the same country as Ibaka. A lot of people getting confused with "Congo".
There are two nations.
Republic of Congo (Brazzaville) and Democratic Rep. of Congo.

Eyenga is from the Dem Rep of Congo like Mutombo, Didier Mbenga (who opted to play for Belgium), Wenbos Mukubu (Italy),Boris Meno (France), Moses Ehambe (Spain) Kabeya Kabongo (St.Peters USA), Menji Mundadi (Lithuania), Luse Mundadi (Robert Morris,USA),Mohamed Ntumba (Southern Indiana,USA), Mutombo Yombo (Brewton-Parker,USA) Gege Kizunbanata (Tunisia) and Freddy Mali (Yemen).

Congo-Brazzavile has Ibaka, Herve Assoua (Morocco),Max Kougere (France - But he opted to play for the Central African Republic), Giovan Oniangue (France), Tanguy Ngombo (Qatar - Plays for Qatar instead) and Nobel Boungou-Colo (France).

Mojado
01-11-2011, 03:38 PM
ZONE I: MAROC, TUNISIA
ZONE II : SENEGAL, MALI
ZONE III : NIGERIA, TOGO, COTE D’IVOIRE
ZONE IV : CENTRAFRIQUE, TCHAD
ZONE V: RWANDA, KENYA
ZONE VI: MOZAMBIQUE, SOUTH AFRICA
ZONE VII: ?? Madagascar, Maurice, Comores, Djibouti and Seychelles...

Champs: Angola

Not Qualified: Cape Verde,DR of Congo, Congo-Brazzaville, Libya and Algeria

JGX
01-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Coverage of the Zone VI qualifiers here:
http://mybasketball.co.za/

bballscout2004
01-14-2011, 11:45 PM
how is togo national team? i heard they quilfied and have a great player jimmy will . i see his youtube looks good- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc4oB2qd-gA i need more info on him maybe i ca place him next year for big money since hes in libya now.

Mojado
01-17-2011, 09:53 AM
how is togo national team? i heard they quilfied and have a great player jimmy will . i see his youtube looks good- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc4oB2qd-gA i need more info on him maybe i ca place him next year for big money since hes in libya now.

http://www.probasketballoverseas.com/?blog=106

Seems like was brought in to play for Togo but is not really from the country.

bballscout2004
01-17-2011, 11:24 PM
yes i found out his father is from togo and his mom is american. togo national is on the rise. i seen som film from the zone 3 qulifiers they looked good and jimmy lead them well as a point guard 12.0ppg 6.3rpg 5.0apg in the qulifiers.

i got a question do you know how many team can qulify out of the african championship

Mojado
01-18-2011, 10:44 AM
yes i found out his father is from togo and his mom is american. togo national is on the rise. i seen som film from the zone 3 qulifiers they looked good and jimmy lead them well as a point guard 12.0ppg 6.3rpg 5.0apg in the qulifiers.

i got a question do you know how many team can qulify out of the african championship

I heavily doubt that his dad from Togo. However, every country can include one player that is not originally from the country, so I hope he can make some money over in Africa, wherever he plays. Good luck to him, he is a good guy.

16 teams in total. host+champion and places 2-4 from last African Champs are automatically qualified.

bballscout2004
01-18-2011, 10:59 AM
thank you for the info. only 1 team can quilfy for the olimpics or is it 3 now.

usausa
01-18-2011, 03:36 PM
as of right now, 1

sinobball
01-18-2011, 06:58 PM
I'll be rooting for Côte d’Ivoire :D (I think they can beat Angola based on what I saw in 2010... but I admit I don't know much about Afrobasket).

Imagine if Africa can get all the "expats" or foreign-born guys to their NTs, they have the potential to be really competitive.

Mojado
01-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Tanzania and Uganda are having financial troubles so they may or may not appear in Rwanda for the Zone V qualifiers. I don't see Somalia, Eritrea and Sudan coming to this tournament, so this could leave the qualifier with Rwanda, Egypt and Burundi battling for two spots.

Also, I doubt that the Afrobasket will be in the Ivory Coast, due to the war there.

It could be, that countries like Cape Verde, Algeria and even Benin could join the field of sixteen if Madagascar fails again to send a team.

CKR13
01-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Stephen Omony was named team captain for the Uganda Men's National Basketball Team. Also, point guard Ben Komakech will be back with the team for the Fiba Zone V Nations Championship in Kigali, Rwanda next month.

Currently, both the Men and Women's National Team has 14 players for evaluation. Both teams have been playing select teams from the YMCA in an effort to raise funding for next month.

CKR13
01-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Armando Costa confirmed that he will be ready to play for the Angolan National Team next month after being sidelined for six months due to injury and having surgery.

africanbasket23
01-23-2011, 02:56 AM
this year african champ will be interesting angola got there point guard back Armando Costa. angola has the best national team in africa but i think they can use a center with gomes. there are also some national teams on the rise in africa. i think nigeria will be good, and ivory coast, tunisa, egypt is not bad they are well coached. it will be interesting, small countrys like togo is building around there new young leader jimmy williams for the future whos 24 years old. i cant wait to go watch it will be very interesting and fun to watch. i just hope they let 2 or 3 teams qulifiy for the olimpics.

africa basketball is rising

rikhardur
01-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Ivory Coast will definitely not host the tournament. The decision on the host will be made public on 15th February. Angola is in the pole position.

enomakos
01-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Ibaka played for the Republic of Congo's junior-national team 2006 in the African Champs in South Africa, so Spain needs to bribe their federation to make him available for their senior's national team.
Eyenga is not from the same country as Ibaka. A lot of people getting confused with "Congo".
There are two nations.
Republic of Congo (Brazzaville) and Democratic Rep. of Congo.

Eyenga is from the Dem Rep of Congo like Mutombo, Didier Mbenga (who opted to play for Belgium), Wenbos Mukubu (Italy),Boris Meno (France), Moses Ehambe (Spain) Kabeya Kabongo (St.Peters USA), Menji Mundadi (Lithuania), Luse Mundadi (Robert Morris,USA),Mohamed Ntumba (Southern Indiana,USA), Mutombo Yombo (Brewton-Parker,USA) Gege Kizunbanata (Tunisia) and Freddy Mali (Yemen).

Congo-Brazzavile has Ibaka, Herve Assoua (Morocco),Max Kougere (France - But he opted to play for the Central African Republic), Giovan Oniangue (France), Tanguy Ngombo (Qatar - Plays for Qatar instead) and Nobel Boungou-Colo (France).

thanks for all these information man

enomakos
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM

i know jimmy williams,he is not for togo

enomakos
01-24-2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.probasketballoverseas.com/?blog=106

Seems like was brought in to play for Togo but is not really from the country.

yes you are right,he was brought to play for togo,i remember he try to play for senegal without success

enomakos
01-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Your right bro Nigerians has a lot of talent however they are not form properly
by their federation

thanks man that is the truth

CKR13
01-25-2011, 01:13 AM
A depleted Uganda would have to play in the Zone V qualifiers next month. The following personnel are out of the National Team Men's Team:

Ronnie Kasewu (Family Matters)
Henry Malinga (Family Matters)
Stephen Okias (Injury)
Brian Ssentongo (Cut from the team due to off-court problems)

CKR13
01-26-2011, 11:17 AM
The nation that will host the 2011 Afrobasket will be announced in February 15, 2011 during the executive commission of FIBA-Africa.

Mojado
01-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Angola, Madagascar, Tunisia (!?) and Morocco are interested to jump in, if the Ivory Coast fails to a) build a 8.000 seat stadium and b) a secure and stable situation within the country.

CKR13
01-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Men's National Team Players:

Gerald Baru (Oilers)
Lusajo Samweli (Oilers)
Gilbert Batungi (ABC)
Dogo Nyambura (ABC)
Juma Kisoky (ABC)
Mohamedy Yusuph (Chang'ombe United)
George Tarimo (Savio)
Jije Makani (Savio)
Musa Chacha (Savio)
Andrew Ikungura (Pazi)
Denis Chibula (Pazi)
Francis Mlewa (JKT)
Adam Jegame (JKT)
Frank Kusiga (JKT)
Mohamedy Makani (Chang'ombe United)
Mohamedy Ally (Chang'ombe United)
Alpha Kisusi (Vijana City Bulls)
Mwalimu Kheri (Vijana City Bulls)
Sudi Abdurazak (Vijana City Bulls)
Robert Edward (Soweto Arusha)
Chelu Simion (Heats Mwanza)
Benedictor Mwangara (Chui)

Women's National Team Players:

Lucy Agustino (Jeshi Stars)
Nipael Kessy (Jeshi Stars)
Faraja Malaki (Jeshi Stars)
Jabu Shabani (Jeshi Stars)
Jackline Shemeza (Jeshi Stars)
Annomisiata Antony (Jeshi Stars)
Evodia Kazinja (JKT Stars)
Doritha Mbunda (JKT Stars)
Elizabeth Masenyi (JKT Stars)
Sekela Domonic (JKT Stars)
Revina Julius (JKT Stars)
Nelly Anyengisye (JKT Stars)
Nyilabu Maximillian (JKT Stars)
Tukusubila David (Vijana Queens)
Zakia Kondo (Don Bosco Lady Lioness)
Nina Mliga (Don Bosco Lady Lioness)

The overall cost for participation for Afrobasket is worth Sh40 Million according to the Tanzanian Basketball Federation.

rikhardur
01-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Men's National Team Players:
No Thabeet again I see... :o

CKR13
01-29-2011, 12:50 AM
No Thabeet again I see... :o

I remember a certain thread here (http://forums.interbasket.net/f26/hasheem-thabeet-says-no-to-the-8825/). Maybe Thabeet was not interested in the first place.

CKR13
02-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Moise Kore, president of the Ivorian Basketball Federation insisted that the Ivory Coast has not lost the hosting rights for Afrobasket 2011 which is scheduled in August 2011.

It is said on the article:

Afrobasket men 2011: Côte d'Ivoire still at the helm
Côte d'Ivoire remains the host of the male Afrobasket 2011. This assurance was given by Moise Kore, president of the Ivorian Basketball Federation (Fibbi) last Saturday at a news conference.

Some languages are quick to rush into the tabloids announcing the withdrawal of Côte d'Ivoire from the organization of Afrobasket 2011 scheduled to be held in August. "We were not withdrawn. I talked with the secretary general of FIBA Africa on the phone. He and his staff are for maintaining the competition in Côte d'Ivoire. Given the country's current situation, we were given time to discuss with authorities how this will be a reality, "replied bluntly the President of the Ivorian basketball Federation, Moise Kore. It was during a press conference for this purpose at the headquarters of the Fibbi Saturday, January 29. Continuing in his oratory, Moise Kore, has even reassured the audience that the Fibbi has the full support of government authorities. Including the Minister of Sports, Franck Guei, who according to the head of the ball of the basket in Côte d'Ivoire is ostensibly committed to do everything possible to the actual organization of the competition.

"Currently he (Editor's note: the minister) is in discussion with his fellow minister of finance to start the rehabilitation of the Sports Palace. And at our level, we are currently reviewing our project so we can be in time and allow competition to be held in Abidjan. We have until February 15 to meet with our authorities and go see the FIBA Africa to say whether or not the organization of Afrobasket is still possible in our country, "said President of Fibbi. According to him, after the failure of the first plan due to the post-election crisis, the Ivorian governing body of basketball has resorted to a plan B to allow delivery of infrastructure within the allotted time.

This is the rehabilitation of the Sports Palace in Treichville and construction of an adjoining room.

It should be noted that during the evaluation meeting with FIBA Africa in Bamako, Mali, on January 23, the special envoy of Fibbi, Florent Bah, gave assurances that Côte d'Ivoire had still the possibility of organizing the African Nations Championship.

This, after taking the stock of steps already taken underpinned by documents relating to the statement made by the Cabinet to demonstrate the effective support of the Ivorian authorities. Following the intervention of Florent Bah, some members of FIBA Africa waved the thorny issue inherent to the current situation of the country. "In fact, they wanted to politicize the debate. And the President of FIBA Africa said vehemently that it was out of question to introduce political issues into basket. Security issues were left aside.

The case of Côte d'Ivoire is not isolated as Somalia and Angola have hosted the competition as they were at war, "instructed Moise Kore.

-starafrica (http://www.starafrica.com/en/more-sports/basketball/article/afrobasket-men-2011-cote-divoire-still-144761.html)

Mojado
02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
I remember a certain thread here (http://forums.interbasket.net/f26/hasheem-thabeet-says-no-to-the-8825/). Maybe Thabeet was not interested in the first place.

Thabeet plays in the NBA and wont be available for tournaments during the season. Also, the TBF won't be able to pay flights as well as insurances for him. Unless he pays everything out of his pocket, he wont suit up for the national-tream anytime soon.

CKR13
02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Thabeet plays in the NBA and wont be available for tournaments during the season. Also, the TBF won't be able to pay flights as well as insurances for him. Unless he pays everything out of his pocket, he wont suit up for the national-tream anytime soon.

Many thanks for sharing the contributing factors that are detrimental to Thabeet's participation with the team.

CKR13
02-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Today, Uganda has announced the National Team for the Fiba Africa Zone V Nations Championship.

B. Komakech
J. Enabu
I. Enabu
J. Ikong
E. Malinga
B. Okello
S. Omony
N. Blick
I. Afidra
B. Ssentogo
R. Mubiru
E. Kateregga

Emmanuel Enabu, the reigning rookie of the year was not chosen to join his brothers on the squad. Also Philip Wakimwero did not made the grade.

Mojado
02-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Egypt is still trying to convince FIBA to postpone (again) the zone V qualifiers due to the riots in the country, but from I was able to gather, the tournament will take place 7th-12th of February in Kigali (Rwanda)
http://www.fiba-afrique.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=825&catid=5&Itemid=26&lang=en

The hosts are flying in Kenny Wilson "Gasana" from Texas altogether with a new recruit named Joseph Works as their club-team Texas Fuel reports on www.usbasket.com:
"THE FUEL OTHER ALLSTAR KENNY WILSON AND ALSO SMALL FORWARD JOSEPH WORKS WILL RETURN LATE FEBUARY ON LEAVING TO GO PLAY IN AFRICA."
"Mathieu" Matt Miller should be there too, lets see if Robert Thomson is also included.

CKR13
02-04-2011, 04:26 AM
Defending Zone V Champions, Egypt has withdrawn from the competition due to Political Unrest in the country and the non-postponement of the Zone V competitions to run in February 7-12, 2011.

Zone V (Men's) teams:

Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya, Somalia and Uganda.

Tanzania has withdrawn from the men's competition, but the Tanzanian Women's team will proceed to compete.

Mojado
02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Egypt is already qualified and there is no need for a second postponement of the tournament. I see Rwanda coming first while Uganda and Kenya are battling out the second qualifier for the African Champs.

sinobball
02-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Thabeet plays in the NBA and wont be available for tournaments during the season. Also, the TBF won't be able to pay flights as well as insurances for him. Unless he pays everything out of his pocket, he wont suit up for the national-tream anytime soon.He's a millionaire he can afford insurance.... Also there's nothing going on in August.... But I guess you do what your team tells you to do when you don't get any play time. Sad.

Mojado
02-08-2011, 06:21 AM
He's a millionaire he can afford insurance.... Also there's nothing going on in August.... But I guess you do what your team tells you to do when you don't get any play time. Sad.

It was more about the qualifiers who just started...and without him, Tanzania is weak compared to Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya.

Mojado
02-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Say hello to Qatar II (Imports in bold)

Rwanda men’s team:

Andrew Francis (APR), Aboubacar Barame (APR), Darrius Brannon (Houston Blaze), Edwin Mbanda (CSK), Kenny Gasana (AS Sale & NH Ostrava), Jean Louis Habineza (Espoir), Joshua Tarver (Oregon State University), Kami Kabange (APR), Mathew Miller (APR), Aristide Mugabe (CSK), Fiston Muhire (KBC), Olivier Muhizi (NUR), Karim Nkusi (Falcons-Uganda), Hamza Ruhezamihigo (Concordia University) and Thomson Robert Stanley (KLUJ).

CKR13
02-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Today, Tanzania had announced that the Men's team will depart for Kigali Rwanda for the Zone V championships despite insufficient funds.

Tanzania National Team:

Gerald Baru
Lusajo Samweli
Gilbert Batungi
Mohamedy Yusuph
George Tarimo
Jije Makani
Andrew Ikungura
Francis Mlewa
Adam Jegame
Frank Kusiga
Mohamedy Ally
Alpha Kisusi.

Mojado
02-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Rwandan News:

"Darius Brannon from Houston Blaze (USA), Edwin Mbanda from CSK (Rwanda), Kenny Gasana from NH Ostrava(USA) Joshua Tarver from Oregon State University (USA) and Andrew Francis from APR(Rwanda) didn’t get the green light to play for Rwanda in the opening match.

“I don’t know if FIBA will allow them to play other matches of the competition but we will wait and see, it’s up to the federation to look for their papers” Disclosed Veceslav after the match."

Edwin Mbanda is a 6-8 center from the US (Eastern University)
Darrius Brannon is a 6-8 forward from Texas (Univ. of Houston)
Kenny "Gasana" Wilson is also from Texas and known for his scoring in the last African Championships.
Josh Tarver is a 6-3 guard from Sacramento (Oregon State)
Andrew Francis is a 6-8 forward from Texas (Univ. of Houston and UTSA).

Other imports include Matt Miller and Stanley Thomson as well as Kami Kabange.

bballscout2004
02-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Togolese star jimmy williams

bballscout2004
02-09-2011, 12:05 AM
mojado thanks for the info..... majado you seem to know alot about basket in africa i have 2 questions like to know wat u think. who are the top guards in africa even add the ones that were givin pass ports, also who are some sleeper players in africa. and best player in africa.

ps rwanda r cheaters

mojado thanks bro...

JGX
02-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Rwanda didn't give their new imports fake names? Were their imported women's players allowed to play?

I think Edwin Mbanda is actually from Rwanda.

It didn't matter in the opening round:

Rwanda 98-60 Burundi
Kenya 76-61 Uganda

Mojado
02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Looks like most of the imports (namely Andrew Francis, Kenny Wilson, Edwin Mbanda and Josh Tarver) of Rwanda wont play at all, as Rwanda continued to win without them the third time in a row. So it will be either Kenya or Burundi that will follow the hosts to the African Champs.

CKR13
02-11-2011, 07:42 AM
It will be Uganda vs Tanzania tomorrow. 7 pm Local Time.

CKR13
02-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Uganda 87 Tanzania 47

Next matches:

Kenya vs Burundi 6pm (Amahoro stadium)

Tanzania vs Rwanda 6.30pm (Green Hills)

Mojado
02-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Kenyan Basketball Federation pulled both men's and women's team out of the competition. They did not follow their promises regarding player expenses and players refused to practice so the federation pulled them out.

Rwanda is qualified, now Uganda is second, but Burundi should easily rout Tanzania to qualify for the first time.

Mindozas
02-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Omar Samhan (Zalgiris, Lithuania) confirmed that he's planning to play for Egypt NT upcoming summer as he accepted Egypt federation's offer for the 1st time and hopes to qualify to Olympics (he used to have very high hopes and plans for everything :))

Khalid80
02-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Omar Samhan (Zalgiris, Lithuania) confirmed that he's planning to play for Egypt NT upcoming summer as he accepted Egypt federation's offer for the 1st time and hopes to qualify to Olympics (he used to have very high hopes and plans for everything :))

This is big news for the Egyptian NT!
With him in the line up Egypt's chances of competing for the African championship are much higher... Only problem though is the unstable situation in Egypt which if it stays like this will definitely affect the preparation of the Egyptian NT...

rikhardur
04-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Madagascar is reported to host the tournament. Official decision to be announced.

rikhardur
04-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Mali with a major blow as Orléans' F Amara Sy will only return next season due to a plantar fasciitis.

enomakos
04-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Madagascar is reported to host the tournament. Official decision to be announced.

are you sure?

rikhardur
04-14-2011, 12:37 AM
are you sure?
That's what was in Angolan newspapers, but the Angolan federation declined to comment on that. Do you have anything else?

Mojado
04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Madagascar 2011
http://www.fiba-afrique.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1079%3Aafrobasket-hommes-2011--organisation--madagascar-choisi-en-remplacement-de-la-cote-divoire&catid=27%3Aafrobasket-hommes&Itemid=73&lang=fr

My guess of teams participating:

1. Angola
2. Côte d'Ivoire
3. Tunisia
4. Cameroon
5. Nigeria Zone III Winner
6. Togo Zone III Third Place
7. Senegal Zone II Winner
8. Mali Zone II Runner-Up
9. Morocco Zone I Winner
10. Central African Republic Zone IV Winner
11. Chad Zone IV Runner-Up
12. Mozambique Zone VI Winner
13. Rwanda Zone V Winner
14. Madagascar Host
15. Egypt or Kenya Wild Card
16. Zone VII Qualifier or Cape Verde or South Africa or Algeria Wild Card

Mindozas
04-26-2011, 12:37 PM
So Egypt's participation is still uncertain... What are their chances to take part in event? If all depends just on FIBA Africa decision, I suppose they will be invited, right?
Also I'm not too familiar with their NT, if they will finally play, what are their capabilities? Any big names, any chances for surprise finishing in Olympic qualifier places?

Khalid80
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
So Egypt's participation is still uncertain... What are their chances to take part in event? If all depends just on FIBA Africa decision, I suppose they will be invited, right?
Also I'm not too familiar with their NT, if they will finally play, what are their capabilities? Any big names, any chances for surprise finishing in Olympic qualifier places?

It depends if Omar Samhan would be willing to join them :D

Their league is currently on hold due to the situation and Ismail Ahmad who is one of the best Egyptian players is currently in Lebanon playing with our Al Riyadi...

Egypt has a few players who are in the NCAA Division 1 (most notably the 2.18 meters center Omar Oraby (http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/oraby_omar00.html))

Also Egypt has a good basketball future as their team ranked 11th out of 16 teams in the 2009 U19 FIBA WC in New Zealand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_FIBA_Under-19_World_Championship

Egypt are definitely a powerhouse in African Basketball and if they have their full roster they could challenge for a medal

Mojado
04-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Samhan would be a nice addition although it will be interesting how he fits into the team.
Which other NCAA players do you mean? Oraby is too inexpienced to play in a competition like the African Champs. I see him doing so in three years maybe.
Ismail Ahmad wont be back, the federation is looking to build a younger team these days and I like the junior national-teams a lot. Very passionate and a bit chaotic but sucessful.

Mindozas
04-26-2011, 04:21 PM
It depends if Omar Samhan would be willing to join them :D

That's the question... He already agreed, but love for fastfood and portyin' might be bigger than that :)

Well, seems like I was underrating Egypt a bit, knew about their rich history, but had no clue about their current strenght. Thnx for info ;)

Khalid80
04-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Samhan would be a nice addition although it will be interesting how he fits into the team.
Which other NCAA players do you mean? Oraby is too inexpienced to play in a competition like the African Champs. I see him doing so in three years maybe.
Ismail Ahmad wont be back, the federation is looking to build a younger team these days and I like the junior national-teams a lot. Very passionate and a bit chaotic but sucessful.

I thought there were some other NCAA Division 1 Egyptian players but apparently i'm mistaken...

Ziad Ashmawy (http://www.udcfirebirds.com/sports/mbkb/2010-11/bios/Ashmawy_Ziad) (who also played on that U19 roster in the WC in New Zealand) is currently playing in NCAA Division 2 with the District of Columbia

rikhardur
05-11-2011, 10:43 PM
CAF/GRE - After Euroleague success, Sato sets eyes on African glory [video]

BARCELONA (Euroleague/Afrobasket 2011) - Central African Republic sensation Romain Sato got his first taste of Final Four success with Panathinaikos last weekend, but there is one title he is chasing with just as much fervour, if not more - that of Afrobasket champion.

The 30-year-old had 13 points and hit a trio of timely three-pointers in the second half to help Panathinaikos defeat Maccabi Electra 78-70 in the Euroleague finale on Sunday in Barcelona.

The 1.94m guard now hopes he can lead his country to the highest level of success on the African continent.

"I can sit here and say I won the Euroleague but I want to win an African championship. I want to win an African continental championship," he told FIBA a day before being crowned Euroleague champion.

"I haven't won one yet so that's why I keep going back and keep fighting to get a chance to win one. I'd do anything for my country."

Sato believes his country can perform well at this summer's Afrobasket in Madagascar, provided they hold good preparations in the lead-up to the biggest basketball event in Africa.

"I'm looking forward to playing Afrobasket in Madagascar, but right now we've got a long way to go," he conceded.

"We never get to bring guys in early, get a chance to give guys at least time to prepare the tournament. So I hope this year my country starts getting guys over early so we have a chance to do something better."

Sato averaged 21.6 points and 8.6 rebounds to lead the Central African Republic to a sixth place finish at the last Afrobasket in Libya two years ago.

He understands his country is not on the same level as Africa's basketball powers such as Angola and Senegal, for a simple but undeniable reason.

"We don't have the money or the players who play in Europe," he conceded. "We probably have a few. But most of the guys who are playing in Europe, they don't play in the big teams so they have to work and play basketball on the side.

"So sometimes they feel like they have to get a job to work and make some money to live life. Basketball is a second option for some of them. Hopefully this time most guys get there early."

Another issue affecting the Central African Republic national team is their lack of height and size, a problem that has forced a perimeter player like Sato to play out of positon and battle down in the paint.

"For me to go on the national team and play the four or five position, that's though," he admitted. "So if we can get two big men, that's good and I can play on the wing and it will help me and, my team-mates and the team.

"Two years ago I had to guard (Senegale's) Boniface (Ndong) and he's seven feet tall. But that's because my country doesn't have a lot big men.

"We have big men but not everybody wants to come to the national team. So we just play with the guys that we have.

"Against Angola in the quarter-finals (in 2009) we had a chance, but we didn't have a big man and they had (Joaquin) Gomes.

"I had to guard him and it's not easy. It was a lot of work for me to go down and fight with them and try to go down and play on offense."

Sato pays close attention to other countries in Africa for inspiration on how things should be done in a national team set-up.

In his eyes, there is no doubt who sets the standard of excellence on the continent.

"If we're going to look up in Africa for who is the best, it's Angola," he stated. "So if we can follow the way they do things there, maybe it can help us too. They're dominant. Every two years it's Angola. Hopefully one day we get a chance to get closer and beat them.

He believes the sky is the limit if his country can take example from Angola or Senegal.

"Anything is possible, especially if you believe," he reasoned. "Anything you put your mind to, you can get through it."

Sato is not one to settle for anything less than winning and as such he is fully aware of what being champions of Africa brings with it this summer - automatic qualification for next year's Olympics in London.

"That would be a dream come true," he said of taking part in the Summer Games.

"Being here is one of my dreams right now, but the Olympics, you can't ask for more than that. Hopefully I'll get a chance before I retire."

Check out the full interview with Romain Sato

KBsBXWT-iww
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/inte/p/newsid/46662/arti.html

enomakos
05-12-2011, 04:36 PM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/inte/p/newsid/46662/arti.html

congrats sato

soliman
05-16-2011, 08:59 AM
mohanad elsabagh (5,11-pg)
ramy genedy (6,1-pg)
moataz okasha (6,2-pg)
wael badr (6,3-pg)
ahmed elsabagh (6,2-sg)
amr elgendy (6,4-sg)
kareem diefallah (5,10-sg)
ibrahim elgamal (6,2-sg)
tamer mostafa (6,2-sg)
moamen aboelennen (6,6-sf)
elhosiny sameer (6,3-sf)
haitham elsaharty (6,6-sf)
ahmed elsodany (6,5-pf)
mark nader (6,8-pf)
ramy ibrahim (6,8-pf)
mohamed ibrahim (6,9-pf)
haitham kamal (6,10-pf/c)
mohamed salah eldin (6,10-pf/c)
mohamed adly (7,1-c)
omar oraby (7,2-c)
omar samhan (6,11-c)

rikhardur
05-19-2011, 10:13 PM
[Afrobasket Men 2011] - Wild card : Egypt and South Africa drafted

Egypt and South Africa have been designated as wild card to participate in the Afrobasket 2011 from 17 to 28 August 2011 in Madagascar.

Egypt is no stranger to this competition with 19 participations, 5 titles (62, 68, 70, 75 and 83), 5 silver medals (second place) and 6 bronze (third place).

South Africa is in its eighth consecutive appearance since his first in 97.

These two teams come to fill the other 14 qualified countries during the qualifiers.

The 16 Participants of Afrobasket Men 2011 which will take place in Madagascar are:

1.Madagascar

2.Angola

3.Cote d’Ivoire

4.Tunisia

5.Cameroon

6.Morocco

7.Senegal

8.Mali

9.Nigeria

10.Togo

11.Central Africa

12.Tchad

13.Rwanda

14.Mozambique

15.Egypt

16.South Africa

The draw for this competition will be held June 4, 2011 in Antananarivo (Madagascar). He will start the 16 participating teams in 04 groups of 04 teams each for the preliminary round.
http://www.fiba-afrique.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1159%3Aafrobasket-hommes-2011-wild-card-legypte-et-lafrique-du-sud-repeches&catid=27%3Aafrobasket-hommes&Itemid=73&lang=en

Mojado
05-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I would have went with Algeria or Cabo Verde instead of South Africa, as they simply lack the talent to compete.
No offense, but teams like Madagascar, Togo, Chad, Mocambique and South Africa will be playing for places between 12-16 this time.

rikhardur
05-22-2011, 09:14 PM
[ITW] - Romain Sato : ''I want to win an African championship.''

Central African Republic sensation Romain Sato got his first taste of Final Four success with Panathinaikos, but there is one title he is chasing with just as much fervor, if not more - that of Afrobasket champion.

The 1.94m guard now hopes he can lead his country to the highest level of success on the African continent.

"I can sit here and say I won the Euroleague but I want to win an African championship. I want to win an African continental championship," he told FIBA a day before being crowned Euroleague champion.

Sato believes his country can perform well at this summer's Afrobasket in Madagascar, provided they hold good preparations in the lead-up to the biggest basketball event in Africa.

"I'm looking forward to playing Afrobasket in Madagascar, but right now we've got a long way to go," he conceded.

Sato averaged 21.6 points and 8.6 rebounds to lead the Central African Republic to a sixth place finish at the last Afrobasket in Libya two years ago.

Sato is not one to settle for anything less than winning and as such he is fully aware of what being champions of Africa brings with it this summer - automatic qualification for next year's Olympics in London.

"That would be a dream come true," he said of taking part in the Summer Games. Being here is one of my dreams right now, but the Olympics, you can't ask for more than that. Hopefully I'll get a chance before I retire."
http://www.fiba-afrique.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1176&catid=27&Itemid=73&lang=en

rikhardur
06-04-2011, 10:13 PM
[Afrobasket 2011] - Draw: Groups are known.

http://www.fiba-afrique.org/images/stories/Articles/fiba/tirage-au-sort-mad-2011.jpg

The draw of Afrobasket 2011 which will be held in Madagascar from 17 to 28 August has been held today in Antananarivo.

Here is the composition of the 4 groups obtained after this draw:

GROUP A: MADAGASCAR, MOZAMBIQUE, NIGERIA, MALI

GROUP B: ANGOLA, TCHAD, MAROC, SENEGAL

GROUP C: COTE D'IVOIRE, SOUTH AFRICA, CAMEROON, EGYPT

GROUP D: TUNISIA, TOGO, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC, RWANDA

Schedule of the first 3 days :

GROUP A:

August 17, 2011
MADAGASCAR – MOZAMBIQUE
NIGERIA – MALI

August 19, 2011
MADAGASCAR – MALI
MOZAMBIQUE – NIGERIA

August 21, 2011
NIGERIA - MADAGASCAR
MALI – MOZAMBIQUE

GROUP B :

August 18, 2011
ANGOLA - CHAD
MOROCCO - SENEGAL

August 20, 2011
ANGOLA - SENEGAL
CHAD - MOROCCO

August, 22, 2011
MOROCCO - ANGOLA
SENEGAL – CHAD

GROUP C:

August 17, 2011
COTE D'IVOIRE - SOUTH AFRICA
CAMEROON - EGYPT

August 19, 2011
COTE D'IVOIRE - EGYPT
SOUTH AFRICA - CAMEROON

August 21, 2011
CAMEROON - COTE D'IVOIRE
EGYPT - SOUTH AFRICA

GROUP D

August 18, 2011
TUNISIA - TOGO
CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – RWANDA

August 20, 2011
TUNISIA – RWANDA
TOGO – CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC

August 22, 2011
CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - TUNISIA
RWANDA - TOGO
http://www.fiba-afrique.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1219&catid=27&Itemid=73&lang=en

mvblair
06-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Group B looks tough.

I'm a little surprised that Tunisia is still fielding a team. They have only one pro player and I would have thought that with the political events happening (or not happening) there would be no interest in putting up money for a team. I guess they did well at the last Afrobasket, though, so maybe there is some hope.
Is "Tchad" the new way of writing Chad? When did this happen? I have no problem with it, but in the future, I'd appreciate an e-mail from the UN or something.

rikhardur
06-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Is "Tchad" the new way of writing Chad? When did this happen? I have no problem with it, but in the future, I'd appreciate an e-mail from the UN or something.
:D It's typical for fiba-afrique.org to make such mistakes, I think the primary version for the site is French and they make English very French sometimes :p

Federoy
06-17-2011, 05:26 AM
After looking at the draw, of the contending teams for London, Nigeria seems to have the easiest draw to the second round. Mali may pose a bit of a challenge, but the other two should be easy pickings, even if Madagascar is at home. Group B appears to be the toughest followed by Group C, which could be interesting if Egypt brings an experienced "A" team and Cameroon and Ivory Coast pick up where they left off in 2009.

CKR13
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Let's see how Angola deals with a competitive Group B. The Angola-Senegal match is the most promising one on this group. Though I am expecting Angola to remain un-scathed coming out of Group B.

Walken
07-04-2011, 09:20 AM
James Mays for Central African Republic? - Jul 4, 2011 (by Kristian Santiago)

It all looks like James Mays (206-F-86, college: Clemson) maybe suiting up for the Central African Republic at the African Championships in Madagascar this year.
The U.S. American was inderectly mentioned by a local newspaper report as they spoke of a former Clemson-player who is undergoing the process of naturalization to be able to play for the country.
Mays played lastly in Puerto Rico and Turkey and is a touted pro player who gives the 'Centreafricain' debth under the baskets, due to the lack of home-grown quality post players.
http://www.africabasket.com/African-Championships/basketball.asp?NewsID=231589

Mojado
07-04-2011, 01:40 PM
After looking at the draw, of the contending teams for London, Nigeria seems to have the easiest draw to the second round. Mali may pose a bit of a challenge, but the other two should be easy pickings, even if Madagascar is at home. Group B appears to be the toughest followed by Group C, which could be interesting if Egypt brings an experienced "A" team and Cameroon and Ivory Coast pick up where they left off in 2009.

As always, financial funding is a problem. I dont hear or see news for Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Cameroon that indicates a real preperation with stages abroad and pro players is in place.
Cameroon named some possibles, but lack the money to pay for trips and many players left digruntled the national-team as they had to pay for their trips. let's see what they are able to pull off in the last minute.

Mali has to deal with Amara Sy's retirement. Senegal has no real capable point guard after Babou Cisse is gone.
Egypt looks ready now for more. Samhan?
Tunisia solid as always with stages in Turkey and so on.
Rwanda with only three foreign-based players (Miller, Thomson and the guy in Canada), are probably weaker as ever.
Togo? Chad?
Cabo Verde are still trying to get into the tournament.

Federoy
07-08-2011, 03:44 AM
As always, financial funding is a problem. I dont hear or see news for Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Cameroon that indicates a real preperation with stages abroad and pro players is in place.
Cameroon named some possibles, but lack the money to pay for trips and many players left digruntled the national-team as they had to pay for their trips. let's see what they are able to pull off in the last minute.

Mali has to deal with Amara Sy's retirement. Senegal has no real capable point guard after Babou Cisse is gone.
Egypt looks ready now for more. Samhan?
Tunisia solid as always with stages in Turkey and so on.
Rwanda with only three foreign-based players (Miller, Thomson and the guy in Canada), are probably weaker as ever.
Togo? Chad?
Cabo Verde are still trying to get into the tournament.

I posted an article on IBN a few years back about issues that the Nigerian NT were experiencing with lack of funding from their federation. It would appear that outside of football in Africa, sponsorship and funding for the majority of other sports is limited to the point where NTs can't afford to pay air fair, training, travel...etc. It's a travesty, but in some ways the funding issues are a reflection of the continent's overall struggles with prioritizing with limited financial resources.

JGX
07-08-2011, 03:59 AM
Natxo Lezkano will coach the Ivory Coast:
http://www.africabasket.com/Ivory-Coast/basketball.asp?NewsID=231892

Mojado
07-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Togo has two imports so far in Jimmy Williams from the US and Hassan(e) Fofana who is from Guinea and played in the US before. They are planning to get Fred Adjiwanou from France, who is of Togolese decent.

Video about Morocco hoops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rncWUFICfC8

iceman23
07-14-2011, 12:50 PM
how good are those players from togo? can togo compete?

soliman
07-23-2011, 09:27 PM
eyptian fiinal roster

ramy genedy
wael badr
moataz okasha
ibrahim elgamal
amro elgendy
tamer mostafa
moamen abo elennen
haytham elsaharty
mohamed elkerdany
mark nader
ramy ibrahim
mohamed adly

elhussiny samir(6,4-f),ahmed mounir (6,1-g),omar oraby(7,2-c),ismail ahmed (6,8-pf),mohamed khorchid (6,9-c),tarek elghannam (7,0-c),omar samhan (6,11-c),aseem marae(6,9-pf) ,ahmed sodany (6,5-pf) and mohamed salah (6,10-pf) didnt join due to several reasons

Mindozas
07-24-2011, 07:37 AM
eyptian fiinal roster

ramy genedy
wael badr
moataz okasha
ibrahim elgamal
amro elgendy
tamer mostafa
moamen abo elennen
haytham elsaharty
mohamed elkerdany
mark nader
ramy ibrahim
mohamed adly

elhussiny samir(6,4-f),ahmed mounir (6,1-g),omar oraby(7,2-c),ismail ahmed (6,8-pf),mohamed khorchid (6,9-c),tarek elghannam (7,0-c),omar samhan (6,11-c),aseem marae(6,9-pf) ,ahmed sodany (6,5-pf) and mohamed salah (6,10-pf) didnt join due to several reasons

Why didn't Samhan join the squad? What's the problem with him? He was talkin' about NT like a sure thing last season...

Khalid80
07-24-2011, 10:12 AM
eyptian fiinal roster

ramy genedy
wael badr
moataz okasha
ibrahim elgamal
amro elgendy
tamer mostafa
moamen abo elennen
haytham elsaharty
mohamed elkerdany
mark nader
ramy ibrahim
mohamed adly

It's unfortunate that Egypt will not be playing with full force in the upcoming Afrobasket especially with the absence of their talented big men at the center and forward positions: Tarek El Ghannam, the 2 Omars, Ismail Ahmed... :(

soliman
07-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Why didn't Samhan join the squad? What's the problem with him? He was talkin' about NT like a sure thing last season...

the federation was trying to persuade him to join the camp in turkey because he Is afraid of coming to Egypt in the current circumstances but he didnt and idont know why

soliman
07-24-2011, 11:59 AM
It's unfortunate that Egypt will not be playing with full force in the upcoming Afrobasket especially with the absence of their talented big men at the center and forward positions: Tarek El Ghannam, the 2 Omars, Ismail Ahmed... :(

not only the best frontcourt players ,also the backups !!!

Our team will receive a painful defeats in the afrobasket

rikhardur
07-26-2011, 08:10 PM
[TCD] - Afrobasket 2011 : Patrick Maucouvert: ''We'll play with attitude''

Chad will be the only national side taking part that has never competed in Africa’s showpiece event. This is nothing that worries Chad’s coach, Frenchman Patrick Maucouvert.

''We don’t have much experience, but all we are going to do is play with attitude,'' Moucouvert said to FIBA.com.

Recently handed the reins to the team, Maucouvert, who coaches French club Feurs Forez of NM2, plans to bring a combination of home-, Europe- and United States-based players to the tournament.

''We’ll put together the best players we have. It will be an extraordinary experience to play African teams like Angola, Senegal and Morocco in Madagascar.''

Chad preliminary squad
Jacques Alingue, Garba Makka, Guillaume Pina, Ali Djim Abdoul, Robinson Russel, Dounia Issa, Baykam Kang-Irang, Elysee Djimrassem, Ronald Kolmia, Theodore Mbaiarsi, Bienvenu Djimassal, Lebtoloum Ahidjo, Abderamane Mbaindiguim, Asnal Noubaramadji, Koibe Mickael, Dillah Mbairessem, Ngadi Mario, Ousmane Sale, Richard Moguena, Ngarasde Djimtoide.
http://www.fiba-afrique.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1371&catid=27&Itemid=73&lang=en

Mojado
08-01-2011, 01:26 PM
eyptian fiinal roster

ramy genedy
wael badr
moataz okasha
ibrahim elgamal
amro elgendy
tamer mostafa
moamen abo elennen
haytham elsaharty
mohamed elkerdany
mark nader
ramy ibrahim
mohamed adly

Soliman, who is coaching Egypt?

JGX
08-02-2011, 03:12 AM
Chad preliminary squad
Jacques Alingue, Garba Makka, Guillaume Pina, Ali Djim Abdoul, Robinson Russel, Dounia Issa, Baykam Kang-Irang, Elysee Djimrassem, Ronald Kolmia, Theodore Mbaiarsi, Bienvenu Djimassal, Lebtoloum Ahidjo, Abderamane Mbaindiguim, Asnal Noubaramadji, Koibe Mickael, Dillah Mbairessem, Ngadi Mario, Ousmane Sale, Richard Moguena, Ngarasde Djimtoide.

One of those names doesn't fit :D

Too bad they don't have Ali Djim's former high school teammates Mbai Goto Olivier (committed to Clemson but never played there, supposed to be going to Central Michigan next year) and David Baroum (Bethune-Cookman).

Mojado
08-02-2011, 08:56 AM
One of those names doesn't fit :D

Too bad they don't have Ali Djim's former high school teammates Mbai Goto Olivier (committed to Clemson but never played there, supposed to be going to Central Michigan next year) and David Baroum (Bethune-Cookman).

Here are even more players that won't be part of the Tchad:

Eric Alladoum (Algeria)
Guy Ngarndi (Manhattan)
Abgue Barakou (France)
Abakar Martoussia Djounoumdi (Blida, Algeria)
Charles Ndoloum (Newberry, USA)
Wilson Doradji (Western Nebraska;USA)
Anicet Kessely (St. Charles-Charenton (France)
Abel Doumaye (Oullins, France)
Djim Bandoumel (Idaho, USA)
Magloire Djimrangaye (Rodez,France)

JGX
08-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Here are even more players that won't be part of the Tchad:

Eric Alladoum (Algeria)
Guy Ngarndi (Manhattan)
Abgue Barakou (France)
Abakar Martoussia Djounoumdi (Blida, Algeria)
Charles Ndoloum (Newberry, USA)
Wilson Doradji (Western Nebraska;USA)
Anicet Kessely (St. Charles-Charenton (France)
Abel Doumaye (Oullins, France)
Djim Bandoumel (Idaho, USA)
Magloire Djimrangaye (Rodez,France)

Yeah, but think of all the players Rwanda is missing:

Kobe Niyindora
LeBron Makuza
Dwight Habineza
Rajon Mugiraneza
Dwyane Musinga
Derrick Mukabunane
Tim Ntaganda

All are "US-based" and ungoogleable but I hear they're awesome.

Mojado
08-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah, but think of all the players Rwanda is missing:

Kobe Niyindora
LeBron Makuza
Dwight Habineza
Rajon Mugiraneza
Dwyane Musinga
Derrick Mukabunane
Tim Ntaganda

All are "US-based" and ungoogleable but I hear they're awesome.

FIBA will okay that as Rwanda will be hosting the next African Championships (You can bet on that).
I already send my profile to the Rwandan basketball federation. I want to sit on the bench. Mojado Mexikanunga :D

Mojado
08-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Looks like Romain Sato won't be playing in the African Championships.
Also, Morocco and Ivory Coast are in Tunis and already played against each other, Morocco was successful over the Elephants 79-66.

enomakos
08-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Looks like Romain Sato won't be playing in the African Championships.
Also, Morocco and Ivory Coast are in Tunis and already played against each other, Morocco was successful over the Elephants 79-66.

thanks for keeping us inform

CKR13
08-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Afrobasket Referees (http://www.starafrica.com/en/more-sports/detail-news/view/afrobasket-2011-fiba-africa-selected-2-182455.html)

15 African Referees and 5 International Referees.

M Sindo
08-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Do someone have the Official Schedule of the competition ? Thanks.

rikhardur
08-11-2011, 01:45 AM
http://london2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/olym/p/asid/7915/eid/6232/lid//rid//sid/6232/schedule.html

Silvio
08-13-2011, 02:36 AM

I compiled list of Preliminary Round games by date.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Amwxm-YyVBDfdGpFRDNPQ0dMN1dvRzJLejBqd1R0SFE&output=html

Game start times are still unknown.

JGX
08-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Rumor has it that the legendary Liam Canny will be calling these games for FIBA TV.

Silvio
08-16-2011, 03:04 AM
MOROCCO

http://www.maroc-basket.com/?page=suite_2&id=89
If I understand it well, this is final Morocco roster:

Hicham Amrallah (186-G-78) Raja de Casablanca
Mustapha Khalfi (173-G-80) Ittihad de Tanger
Soufiane Kourdou (211-C-85) As de Sale
Said Boustout (203-C) Ittihad de Tanger
Abdelhakim Zouita (203-C) Ittihad de Tanger
Reda Rhalimi (213-C-82) As de Sale
Reda Harras
Zakaria El Mesbahi (191-G-79) As de Sale
Abderrahim Najah (198-F/C-84) As de Sale
Oumar Lanany , Ittihad de Tanger
Mohamed Kamal Hachad (194-G-83) Fos Ouest Provence Basket (FRA)
Soufiane Rafii (193-G-86)

No Younes Idrissi unfortunately, and no Akinocho, but Mustapha Khalfi is back to NT.

Seems probable starting five is:
Khalfi - Hachad- El Masbahi - Najah - Rhalimi

Bench:
Zouita + some never-heard-of players

Silvio
08-16-2011, 04:18 AM
Times of games are finally announced:
http://london2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/olym/p/asid/7915/eid/6232/lid//rid//sid/6232/schedule.html

First game is at Wednesday 17th August
Côte d'Ivoire - South Africa
Local time 12:30

Games each day at 12:30 / 15:00 / 17:30 / 20:00
If I calculate it well, then it is:
GMT 09:30 / 12:00 / 14:30 / 17:00
CET 10:30 / 13:00 / 15:30 / 18:00
and in USA
EST 4:30 AM / 7 AM / 9:30 AM / noon
PST 1:30 AM / 4 AM / 6:30 AM / 9 AM

As OCD person I updated my spreadsheet with schedule and uploaded it, so other OCD persons can see it in rectangular shape:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Amwxm-YyVBDfdGpFRDNPQ0dMN1dvRzJLejBqd1R0SFE&output=html

sixama23
08-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Cameroon NT arrived at Madagascar yesterday, as Franck N'dongo tweeted...

http://twitter.com/#!/franckndongo/status/102905845288939520

Does anybody know the final roster of the Cameroon NT;

Mbah a Moote is not in the team and except N'dongo, other members of the team are Alfred Aboya, Gastan Essengue, Christian Bayang, Parfait Bitee and Cyril Makanda. Who are the rest six; Is Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje among them;

Mojado
08-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Cameroon NT arrived at Madagascar yesterday, as Franck N'dongo tweeted...

http://twitter.com/#!/franckndongo/status/102905845288939520

Does anybody know the final roster of the Cameroon NT;

Mbah a Moote is not in the team and except N'dongo, other members of the team are Alfred Aboya, Gastan Essengue, Christian Bayang, Parfait Bitee and Cyril Makanda. Who are the rest six; Is Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje among them;
Boumtje-Boumtje was not on the preliminary roster. I doubt he is there, since he was already mad at the Cameroonian federation/ministry of sports back in Athens at the Pre-Olympic qualifiers.

In other news: Togo may not show up due to the lack of funding.

soliman
08-16-2011, 02:16 PM
wael badr (6,3-pg)and tamer mostafa (6,2-sg) Withdrew for unknown reasons also haytham elsaharty (6,6-sf) due to injury

the final roster

ramy genedy (6,0-pg-81) geziera
mohannad elsabbagh (5,11-pg-87) ittihad
moataz okasha (6,2-pg-90) zamalek
ibrahim elgammal (6,2-sg-88) ahly
amro elgendy (6,4-sg-91) geziera
ahmed elsabbagh (6,3-85) ittihad
maomen abo eleneen (6,6-sf-86) ittihad
mohamed elkerdani (6,6-pf-77) geziera
mark nader (6,8-pf-86) ittihad
ramy morsy (6,8-pf-88) ittihad
assem marae (6,9-pf-92) zamalek
mohamed adly (7,1-c-87) ahly

coach miodrag perisic

sixama23
08-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Boumtje-Boumtje was not on the preliminary roster. I doubt he is there, since he was already mad at the Cameroonian federation/ministry of sports back in Athens at the Pre-Olympic qualifiers.

In other news: Togo may not show up due to the lack of funding.

Thanks Mojado! :)
I remember that back in 2008 he had made some ugly "off the record" statements to greek journalists about his national federation.

Some other interesting articles (in French):

Souleymane Diabate is blogging about Ivory Coast NT and the Afrobasket (http://basketactu.com/blog-solo-diabate-la-clef-de-cette-can-sera-notre-defense/)

Antoine Mendy explains why he won't participate at the tournament (http://basketactu.com/antoine-mendy-ils-nont-pas-pris-les-devants-pour-regler-ce-probleme-dassurance/)

soliman
08-16-2011, 02:27 PM
soliman, who is coaching egypt?

miodrag perisic

Mojado
08-16-2011, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=sixama23;617858]Thanks Mojado! :)
I remember that back in 2008 he had made some ugly "off the record" statements to greek journalists about his national federation.
QUOTE]

Boumtje came out last in Athens for the first game out of the cabin. They decided in the last second to play the game against Puerto Rico back then.

http://www.starafrica.com/fr/de-sport/detail-news/view/afro-basket-2011-les-lions-camerounais-183898.html

Chris Rogers or Chris Rodgers?

Mojado
08-16-2011, 02:35 PM
miodrag perisic

thanks!!
http://www.globalsportsplaza.com/coaches.asp?det=1&ID=86

Seems like a developmental team, but they should advance to the eight finals in that group.

sixama23
08-16-2011, 02:49 PM
http://www.starafrica.com/fr/de-sport/detail-news/view/afro-basket-2011-les-lions-camerounais-183898.html

Chris Rogers or Chris Rodgers?

According to Africabasket, (http://www.africabasket.com/Cameroon/basketball.asp?NewsID=238303) is Chris Rodgers, the ex University of Arizona guard...

Mojado
08-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Coach of Central African Republic has a blog too:
http://pacogarciaentrenador.blogspot.com/

Mozambique prepared in Spain for the CAN: http://soydeiscar.elnortedecastilla.es/actualidad/2011-08-12/seleccion-nacional-mozambique-prepara-iscar-1613.html

tmlouk
08-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Have the CHAD ever taken part at the Afrobasket Championchips? Ididn`t find any participation in the last 5 Champs.
Is it a good, middlecalss or even one of the worst teams 2011?

CKR13
08-17-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm expecting Nigeria to sweep their group.

August 17, 2011
MADAGASCAR – MOZAMBIQUE
NIGERIA – MALI

stefanobet(.com)
08-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Ambitious target of Madagascar is fight to fly at Olympic games next years.

Silvio
08-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Ambitious target of Madagascar is fight to fly at Olympic games next years.

LOL. They lost at Seychelles 74-76 few days ago.
http://fr.allafrica.com/stories/201108082054.html

Without American Charles Ramsdell (citizenship problems), but still.

stefanobet(.com)
08-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Yes was to laugh :D However I think that at home, against poor Mozambico can win.

W Madagascar :)

chacharko
08-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Yes was to laugh :D However I think that at home, against poor Mozambico can win.

W Madagascar :)

I think you're kidding... Mozambique has still some players who have ever seen the ball... Some of their result are respectable.... to the contrary the lose with Seychelles is hahaha roflmao..

Mojado
08-17-2011, 09:48 AM
I think you're kidding... Mozambique has still some players who have ever seen the ball... Some of them result are respectable.... to the contrary the lose with Seychelles is hahaha roflmao..

Let him bet on that. Ramsdell is strong, the rest is quite inexperienced.

Any links to streams (not betting sites)?

sixama23
08-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Ivory Coast is playing with an 11 team squad against South Africa.

Herve Lamizana is on the final roster but he hasn't reached Madagascar yet.
Liam Canny said on FIBA TV that they he is expected to be at Antananarivo tomorrow.

link:

http://www.soccertvlive.net/watch/78967/1/watch-cote-divoire-vs-south-africa.html

stefanobet(.com)
08-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Let him bet on that. Ramsdell is strong, the rest is quite inexperienced.

Any links to streams (not betting sites)?

http://www.lshunter.tv/basketball-live-streaming-video.html

or

http://www.sportlemon.tv/

Silvio
08-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I was not able to follow first game due to work obligations.

Cote d'Ivoire - South Africa 105-53
http://london2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/olym/p/gid/1/grid/C/rid/8554/sid/6232/game.html
Halftime 60-18. Seems I missed nothing important.

Silvio
08-17-2011, 12:09 PM
2nd game
Nigeria - Mali

Livestats
http://static.sportresult.com/federations/fiba/live-2011-node/?event=7915

Livestream
EDIT:
stream moved to:
Livestream
http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/8/94/v-289572.html

For now score is
Madagascar - Great Britain and their "Olympic test"
1 - 0

sagenas
08-17-2011, 12:15 PM
2nd game
Nigeria - Mali

Livestats
http://static.sportresult.com/federations/fiba/live-2011-node/?event=7915

Livestream
http://www.lshunter.tv/index.php?option=com_lsh&view=lsh&event_id=59009&tid=200522&channel=0&tmpl=component&layout=popup&Itemid=327

For now score is
Madagascar - Great Britain and their "Olympic test"
1 - 0

Is this livestream working for anyone? Somehow I see it only loading loading and nothing more..

Silvio
08-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Is this livestream working for anyone? Somehow I see it only loading loading and nothing more..

It works for me. Though Firefox crashed once to me, I had 5 browser windows opened, not sure which one caused it.

After Q1 Nigeria - Mali 20-22
19 personal fouls and 22 free throws in 10 minutes.
It can't get any more physical. Or it can?

sixama23
08-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Nigeria-Mali live streaming:

http://www.soccertvlive.net/watch/78968/1/watch-nigeria-vs-mali-.html

Mojado
08-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Same here, nothing works for me. Live Stats are down now too.
:(

Nigeria and Mali sent weaker teams compared to Libya 09.

behzadir
08-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Nigeria up 34-27 in the second Q.
Seems to be a tight game.

Edit: Half time result:
Nigeria 38-27 Mali

By the way MAD got a nice stadium! thumbs up to them.

Silvio
08-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I watch now here:
Livestream
http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/8/94/v-289572.html

Silvio
08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
38-27 for Nigeria at halftime

2nd quarter 18-5 for Nigeria, seems they have much more depth.
Would be even more than +11 if Nigerians did not miss many free throws in Q2, 18/26 FT = 69% (Mali 8/9 = 91%)
Many Mali palyers already in foul trouble, unfortunately for them Waly Coulibaly already 4 personal fouls.

NIGERIA ROSTER
4 Solomon Tat
5 Ime Udoka
6 Jayson Obazuaye
7 Abubakar Usman
8 Michael Umeh
9 Chinedu Onyeuku
10 Ikechukwu Ofoegbu
11 Stanle Gumut
12 Ejike Ugboaja
13 Derrick Obasohan
14 Ezenwa Ukeagu
15 Olumide Oyedeyi

MALI ROSTER
4 Modibo Niakate
5 Mamadou Sy
6 Nare Keita
7 Salif Niangado
8 Waly Coulibaly
9 Amadou Caba
10 Ba Sekou Diallo
11 Soumaila Samake
12 Cheick Suomaoro
13 Mamadou Doucoure
14 Mohamed Tangara
15 Mamadou Diarra

Rogi
08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Tangara 4th fouls was joke but quite decisive too. Officiating can be interesting factor here too. Nigeria plays hard defense and everything runs through Udoka.

What you think about Central Africa vs Rwanda matchup? Romain Sato seems confident, they won +20 over them 2 years ago, James Mays seems not in on the roster after being called. Rwanda only 3 players from abroad. Local odds 1,6 not bad imo

sixama23
08-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Tangara 4th fouls was joke but quite decisive too. Officiating can be interesting factor here too. Nigeria plays hard defense and everything runs through Udoka.

What you think about Central Africa vs Rwanda matchup? Romain Sato seems confident, they won +20 over them 2 years ago, James Mays seems not in on the roster after being called. Rwanda only 3 players from abroad. Local odds 1,6 not bad imo

1st referee is the Greek, Tasos Piloidis, who has much Euroleague experience...
I agree that Mali's fouls were called very ...easily :rolleyes:

I don't think that Romain Sato will play at the tournament...
Mojado has posted some days ago that he won't play.
Sato wasn't even at the training camp of his NT in Lille.
James Mays should play...

Rogi
08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
1st referee is the Greek, Tasos Piloidis, who has much Euroleague experience...
I agree that Mali's fouls were called very ...easily :rolleyes:

I don't think that Romain Sato will play at the tournament...
Mojado has posted some days ago that he won't play.
Sato wasn't even at the training camp of his NT in Lille.
James Mays should play...

I found it here http://www.africabasket.com/Central-Africa/basketball.asp?NewsID=234965

Sato is written there but Mays not, maybe he will come straight from USA, but no confirmation found online. I wait for his twitter if anything there. Video is in the link but I cant speak French, coach says about preparation.

Any opinion about Rwanda?

Silvio
08-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Nigeria 69-43 with around 5 minutes to go.
Nigeria +26 up, game was promising in start ... but another blowout.

If anyone is interested:

COTE D'IVOIRE ROSTER
4 Mickael Toti
5 Moulokou Diabate
6 Errick Craven
7 Mamadi Diane
8 Kinidinnin Konate
9 Mamadou Lamizana
10 Ismael N'Diaye
11 Abdoulaye Diaby
12 Jonathan Kale
13 Didier Eric Tape
14 Guy Edi
15 Mohamed Kone

SOUTH AFRICA ROSTER
4 Nhlanhla Diamini
5 Brendan Mettler
6 Christopher Edward Avenant
7 Masego Laote
8 Amogelang Keogatile
9 Thabang Kgwedi
10 Shane Marhanele
11 Lindokuhle Sibankulu
12 Neo Mothiba
13 Cedrick Kalombo
14 Christopher Gabriel
15 Kegeorapetse Letsebe

each way
08-17-2011, 01:35 PM
I found it here http://www.africabasket.com/Central-Africa/basketball.asp?NewsID=234965

Sato is written there but Mays not, maybe he will come straight from USA, but no confirmation found online. I wait for his twitter if anything there. Video is in the link but I cant speak French, coach says about preparation.

Are they even playing today? :confused:

Mojado
08-17-2011, 01:44 PM

Sato never joined the NT, this list was just a preliminary roster. Also, he released a statement on facebook, explaining why he wont come.
Mays is with the team. And they won most of its games in the preparations.

Rwanda has five US Americans. One officially naturalized: Thomson. The rest are fake Rwandans, but since they already played in 09, they are allowed to take part in 2011 again. Also, Kabange is Congolese and Manzi was also born in Congo (both in Dem Rep).
Count Rwanda in for the Eight-Finals.

sixama23
08-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Mays was in Lille with the rest members of the NT and played at the friendly match against Senegal on 7th of August.

Sato wasn't even there. I don't think that he traveled to Madagascar with the team.

http://pacogarciaentrenador.blogspot.com/2011/08/centroafrica-80-66-senegal.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh0fEQsFWl4

Rwanda has five US Americans. One officially naturalized: Thomson. The rest are fake Rwandans, but since they already played in 09, they are allowed to take part in 2011 again. Also, Kabange is Congolese and Manzi was also born in Congo (both in Dem Rep).
Count Rwanda in for the Eight-Finals.

Mojado, are there any reactions from the other national federations about Rwanda and their fake passports;

Silvio
08-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Nigeria - Mali 84-59
http://london2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/olym/p/gid/2/grid/A/rid/8554/sid/6232/game.html

Both teams shoot too much from outside, for my taste at least. As for Mali, it seemed to me tough Nigerians pushed them away from rim.
But for Nigeria, it looks to me they have it in game plan, many "penetrate and kick out" actions. Nigerians complicate things too much generally, like it's competition in assists dished and not in points scored. It seems it's John Lucas' plan, but who knows ... maybe players simply where (too) confident, so they played for crowd. Anyway, Nigeria has a win in da poket, so who am I to complain?

Plus take all of this with grain of salt: I am at work, so I saw only parts of game.

Mojado
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Nigeria - Mali 84-59
http://london2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/olym/p/gid/2/grid/A/rid/8554/sid/6232/game.html

Both teams shoot too much from outside, for my taste at least. As for Mali, it seemed to me tough Nigerians pushed them away from rim.
But for Nigeria, it looks to me they have it in game plan, many "penetrate and kick out" actions. Nigerians complicate things too much generally, like it's competition in assists dished and not in points scored. It seems it's John Lucas' plan, but who knows ... maybe players simply where (too) confident, so they played for crowd. Anyway, Nigeria has a win in da poket, so who am I to complain?

Plus take all of this with grain of salt: I am at work, so I saw only parts of game.
Ludovic Chelle is clearly missing for Mali. Their guards are too inexperienced.
Amara Sy would have given Mali also a boost...too bad he got married this summer :)

Ayo Bakare is coaching Nigeria. Otherwise we would have seen more US-based players today.

Rogi
08-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Finally I found very good basket forum. I checked Romain Sato FB but havent found statement why he is not there after saying how badly he wants to win championship and go to London what would be still hard task. Please forgive me my mistakes, I've been studying this tournament infos and roster just for last 4 hours while watching matches. If anyone interested I would be glad to add some of you to msn contacts so we can discuss basket issues realtime, send me PM because I cant so far. I am pro betting investor and tipster so maybe useful too :)

MrEko
08-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Official site:
http://madagascar2011.fiba.com/

Silvio
08-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Madagascar - Mozambique 12-18 after Q1

This is ugly game, I think 2nd Belgium basketball league matches are more interesting.
Most of players are surprised when they get ball in hands - "what is this strange object?". Nevertheless, they are bricking object towards rim ... but almost never scoring.

Livestats
http://static.sportresult.com/federations/fiba/live-2011-node/?event=7915&game=02

Livestream
http://www.seeon.tv/view/14442/

zik013
08-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Finally I found very good basket forum. I checked Romain Sato FB but havent found statement why he is not there after saying how badly he wants to win championship and go to London what would be still hard task. Please forgive me my mistakes, I've been studying this tournament infos and roster just for last 4 hours while watching matches. If anyone interested I would be glad to add some of you to msn contacts so we can discuss basket issues realtime, send me PM because I cant so far. I am pro betting investor and tipster so maybe useful too :)

this is not a betting forum, this is basketball forum. Please refrain from mentioning bets here, some people find this "decease" very dangerous and offensive.
thank you

PS. Especially if the younger people are reading this forum (and there are a lot of youngsters that love basketball). They can become delusional about betting being profitable and fun, when in fact it is an ill habit just like smoking, alcohol and drugs. Please keep away from mentioning betting for the sake of the others at least.

zik013
08-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Mozambique 36-26 Half Time

Silvio
08-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Official site:
http://madagascar2011.fiba.com/

Thanks.

And nicely designed schedule on that page.
http://madagascar2011.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/11/fafcm/p/schedule.html

There they put results of two first games with underlying links to boxscores:
CIV-RSA 105-53 (http://madagascar2011.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/11/fafcm/p/gid/1/grid/C/rid/8554/game.html)

NGR-MLI 84-59 (http://madagascar2011.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/11/fafcm/p/gid/2/grid/A/rid/8554/game.html)

They put "No re-watch available" in column where sometimes there is link to taped game.

Not watchable at all was 3rd game:

Madagascar - Mozambique 67-77 (http://madagascar2011.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/11/fafcm/p/ct//eid/7915/gid/1/grid/A/lid//lid_64200_cp//lid_64200_itemcount//lid_64200_rpp//nid/0/orderby//rid/8554/sid/7915/game.html)

Madagascar 22 turnovers (but livestats said 26), Mozambique 16 turnovers. That's 42 or 38, but I think there was more than they officially counted. And those turnovers are mostly stupid fumbles because trying to do things fast and complicated (they probably saw those moves on TV or Yotube, but those guys in clips are payed big bucks to make things which a hard to do look easy when they do it). And missed easy layups (especially frustrating are those in fast breaks badly executed) and missed open looks (many, because defenses were awful). And coaches all times yelling at referees and own players - yet not enough smart to simply say to their players "don't look (almost sure) miss of your teammate, run for easy follow-up dunk" (as other teams' players also just look for outcome of shot instead of boxing out).

Awful. Painful. Not watchable.

JGX
08-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Why is FIBA-Africa using the horrible sportresult tracker?

Egypt looks really bad.

Silvio
08-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Cameroon - Egypt is last game of Day 1

This looks like basketball (unlike previous game)
... but I gotta go now. see yall tomorrow

CAMEROON ROSTER
4 Georges Manyaka
5 Cyrille Makanda
6 Parfait Bitee
7 Frank Ndongo
8 Christian Bayang
9 Brice Nengsu
10 Aldo Curti
11 Christopher Rodgers
12 Alfred Aboya
13 Alexis Wangmene
14 Joseph Owona
15 Gaston Essengue

EGYPT ROSTER
4 Mouhanad El Sabagh
5 Amir el Gendy
6 Ramy Gunady
7 Assem Ahmad
8 Moamen Aboelanin
9 Ibrahim El-Gammal
10 ?
11 Mohamed Adly
12 Mark Aziz
13 Tarek El Sbagh
14 Mohamed El-Kerdany
15 Rami Ibrahim

behzadir
08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
After playing a horrible first quarter Egypt has managed to decrease the margin to 14 now.41-27 with 3 mins to go to halftime. First Q result was 27-11 for Cameroon.

And for gods sake,why doesn't Egypt know how to break a fullcourt press?! They've had numerous TO's on the full pressure.

JGX
08-17-2011, 05:57 PM
19 fouls against Cameroon in the first half, 13 against Egypt. Offensive players getting the call on the "jump into the defender" play ever time.

I want to see this Egyptian Horacio Llamas shoot some threes.

sinobball
08-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Assem Ahmed their U19 star only played 2 minutes.

soliman
08-17-2011, 09:05 PM
bad game cameron :mad:
they shuold"ve won by 30 points at least !!!

sixama23
08-17-2011, 09:22 PM
bad game cameron :mad:
they shuold"ve won by 30 points at least !!!

The only thing that i liked from Cameroon was the full court press at the second quarter. Their athleticism and quickness, gives them a great defensive advantage. But today, after one point, they were playing really awful. Cameroon made a lot of turnovers (21) and a lot of fouling (34 fouls overall)...

I believe that against tougher opponents and in low tempo matches, they will have serious problems...

Excellent scoring performance by Bitee tonight but also 10 turnovers...:rolleyes:

JGX
08-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Assem Ahmed their U19 star only played 2 minutes.

He managed a nice airballed freethrow in that time.

Cameroon would have won by more with looser officiating but such is life in international play.

stefanobet(.com)
08-18-2011, 09:39 AM
But in Central African Republic will play sato?

Mojado
08-18-2011, 09:44 AM

for our famous betting junkie: no.

sixama23
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM

No, he won't...

Tunisia vs Togo live streaming:

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/8/104/v-290440.html

I think Central African Republic can beat Rwanda even without him.

sagenas
08-18-2011, 10:11 AM
It's joke, not a game...such a margin already :D

stefanobet(.com)
08-18-2011, 10:21 AM

In official site the team are totally wrong. :D

In Central Rep not play Sato but naturalized players James Mayes: yes. Intereseting CRA team:

Michael Mokongo
Neil Wilfried Londoumon
Antonio Kouloumba
Guy Joseph Kodjo-Sitchi
Yannick Zachee
Max Kouguere
Lionel Bomayako
Regis Koundjia-Sindo
William Kossangue-Toro
Jimmy Djimrabaye
James Mays
Maxime Zianveni
Lionel Pehoua

tmlouk
08-18-2011, 11:06 AM
I've been studying this tournament infos and roster just for last 4 hours while watching matches. If anyone interested I would be glad to add some of you to msn contacts so we can discuss basket issues realtime, send me PM because I cant so far. I am pro betting investor and tipster so maybe useful too :)

Your are anything else but a pro betting investor and tipster, if you were studying infos, rosters a.s.o while the tournament is already running.
i hope nobody is/was communicating with you, if one don`t want to lose money... another wannabe using this forum to feign sth..

each way
08-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Disappointing performance from Togo.

Rogi
08-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey guys, why so nervous reactions? I did not know word betting is forbidden here. I love sport and basketball and all infos are useful in many ways. And why junkie. I follow sports same as you, just I was away and had time only from yesterday to check tournament infos and its not that easy to find info in english from Africa. I dont get your reactions. Im sure many bettors use your valuable comments here.

Mojado
08-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Disappointing performance from Togo.

What did you expect?

Rwanda-Central Afri. Rep. will be pretty competitive. Six US Americans...:D

tmlouk
08-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Any infos about the CHAD Team tonight. I can see Guys, who are playing in the US are in the roster. But nothing else to find. Their first participation ever...

Mojado
08-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Any infos about the CHAD Team tonight. I can see Guys, who are playing in the US are in the roster. But nothing else to find. Their first participation ever...

They were short on money to fly them all in. Dont expect them to be much of a contender. +50 points at least for Angola.
Ali Djim and Garba Makka from D2 colleges are in the post. The rest is Chad-based.

JGX
08-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Is this a different Ellis Kayijuka than last time? Damarcus Ellis was a dark-skinned guard, now it's a light-skinned big man?

tmlouk
08-18-2011, 12:32 PM
They were short on money to fly them all in. Dont expect them to be much of a contender. +50 points at least for Angola.
Ali Djim and Garba Makka from D2 colleges are in the post. The rest is Chad-based.

mmh, that`s why there is such a discussion about money, sportminister on tschad-basket Facebook page..

btw..fiba-afrique homepage is suspended

Mojado
08-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Is this a different Ellis Kayijuka than last time? Damarcus Ellis was a dark-skinned guard, now it's a light-skinned big man?

Are you sure? I cant watch the game. If you have any proof (picture with the number)...

You may also check if Bradley Cameroun is this guy here:
http://photos.etruth.com/newsphotos/270/72270_weblg.jpg

sixama23
08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
52-31, halftime...
Excellent performance by Central African Republic!
They seem to be a well-prepared, organized and disciplined team.
Paco Garcia has done a good job and James Mays fits great with them.
Even with Mays and Koundija on the bench, they didn't have a problem to maintain a double digit margin...

At the other hand, Rwanda is a joke as a team...:)

Are you sure? I cant watch the game. If you have any proof (picture with the number)...

JGX is right...

Ellis Kayijuka, the tall player with number 7 on his jersey, is white and has nothing to do with this guy. (http://www.usbasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=USA&PlayerID=32029)

Silvio
08-18-2011, 01:06 PM
52-31, halftime...
Excellent performance by Central African Republic!
They seem to be a well-prepared, organized and disciplined team.
Paco Garcia has done a good job and James Mays fits great with them.
Even with Mays and Koundija on the bench, they didn't have a problem to maintain a double digit margin...

At the other hand, Rwanda is a joke as a team...:)

I watched part of 1st half here:
http://www.livescorehunter.ro/streams/1/lshro2.html

Yeah, Central African Republic looking like a team.
Cameroon like bunch of guys picked from the street.

When I first looked at boxscore it was:
Central African Republic - Rwanda 24-8
Biggest difference was shooting
and FG 10/14 - 3/14

Now at halftime +21 for CAF

_ CAF RWA
2pts 46% - 30%
3pts 56% - 15%
1pt 79% - 72%

Still quite big shooting margin, but inspecting boxscore I see, rebounds: 32-14.
Yes, it is consequence of so many misses by Rwanda - but you must be disciplined to collect 70% + of rebounds . So I think CAF has very good coach, without Sato they don't look much better individually than Rwanda. They certainly will not always hit 5/9 threes like in this 20 minutes, but I think they will be disciplined in each game.

JGX
08-18-2011, 01:14 PM

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1344/img0702g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/691/img0702g.jpg/)

BTW, Liam Canny has mentioned that Kennth Gasana "sometimes goes by Kenneth Gasana Wilson" and played at Boise State, and also said that Kayijuka played at Robert Morris which is where Damarcus Ellis played.

chacharko
08-18-2011, 01:33 PM
So if I understand... Kayijuka is not Ellis but some real Kayijuka? :D btw... CAR plays really good basketball .. Maybe the best from the teams which played till now..

sagenas
08-18-2011, 02:21 PM
So if I understand... Kayijuka is not Ellis but some real Kayijuka? :D btw... CAR plays really good basketball .. Maybe the best from the teams which played till now..

Definitely. They play tough defense and run fast-breaks very well, playing style reminds Spain. :)

Mojado
08-18-2011, 02:34 PM

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1344/img0702g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/691/img0702g.jpg/)

BTW, Liam Canny has mentioned that Kennth Gasana "sometimes goes by Kenneth Gasana Wilson" and played at Boise State, and also said that Kayijuka played at Robert Morris which is where Damarcus Ellis played.

Wanted: Tall guy in the middle :D This is not the old Ellis Kayijuka. (Check small pic above)

sixama23
08-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I found a picture of Ellis Kayijuka from the previous Afrobasket.
He had No 6 on his jersey at that tournament. (http://libya2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/09/fafcm/player/p/eid/4047/pid/74695/sid/6599/tid/352/profile.html)

http://libya2009.fiba.com/images/web/Events/09/FAFCM/daybday/090814/rwa-egy/_400/rwa_egy_1.jpg

It seems that he is the same guy with the one who played against CAR today and JGX posted before and certainly has nothing to do with Damarcus Ellis. Maybe he is a real Rwandan or ...another import :D

Silvio
08-18-2011, 02:50 PM
That is his evil twin brother :D

sagenas
08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
OMG, Afrobasket started and another guesses who is fake and who is who at all. Better bet which of younger players will play in Spain or France in coming years. :D

Silvio
08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Anyone following Morrocco vs Senegal?
I wanted to, but there's no power in building, I'm down to phone now.
It might be most interesting game in 1st two days - and damn construction workers had to cut off something today. :mad:

Mojado
08-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I found a picture of Ellis Kayijuka from the previous Afrobasket.
He had No 6 on his jersey at that tournament. (http://libya2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/09/fafcm/player/p/eid/4047/pid/74695/sid/6599/tid/352/profile.html)

http://libya2009.fiba.com/images/web/Events/09/FAFCM/daybday/090814/rwa-egy/_400/rwa_egy_1.jpg

It seems that he is the same guy with the one who played against CAR today and JGX posted before and certainly has nothing to do with Damarcus Ellis. Maybe he is a real Rwandan or ...another import :D

DaMarcus played in the regional qualifiers while the other guy is playing in Afrobasket 09 and 11.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fgogvpK3BY
It's a mess. BTW, Ellis Kayijuka has a FB profile now too :)))) Wonder who he really is.

sagenas
08-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Anyone following Morrocco vs Senegal?
I wanted to, but there's no power in building, I'm down to phone now.
It might be most interesting game in 1st two days - and damn construction workers had to cut off something today. :mad:

I'm following it. 54:44 Morocco leads. Almost 3 minutes to go in the third.

chacharko
08-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Senegal is bad surprise... Morocco is better average african team... but they are overplaying them.. Senegal has no guards = no system.. it seems it'll be a championship of four teams... CAR, Tunisia, Angola, Cote D'Ivoire.. But anyway it's strenght championship.. Madagascar, Mozambique, SAR (I can't get why they receive for every tournament wild card), Egypt is also poor... and in the meantime Cabo Verde, DR Congo etc.. are "sitting at home"..

mohsena2631
08-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm following it. 54:44 Morocco leads. Almost 3 minutes to go in the third.

now Senegal is leading 54-56 after a 16-0 run !

but honestly I was expecting more from AfroBasket !

lol. Morocco finally scored a FT while I writing !

sagenas
08-18-2011, 03:57 PM
now Senegal is leading 54-56 after a 16-0 run !

but honestly I was expecting more from AfroBasket !

lol. Morocco finally scored a FT while I writing !

In which meaning? I didn't expect somethign at all, I'm just ejoying competition. :)

P.s. what more can you expect when so many good players don't play...even Nigeria could have such a good team but unfortunately they don't...

chacharko
08-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Senegal is bad surprise... Morocco is better average african team... but they are overplaying them.. Senegal has no guards = no system.. it seems it'll be a championship of four teams... CAR, Tunisia, Angola, Cote D'Ivoire.. But anyway it's strenght championship.. Madagascar, Mozambique, SAR (I can't get why they receive for every tournament wild card), Egypt is also poor... and in the meantime Cabo Verde, DR Congo etc.. are "sitting at home"..

hehe... Senegal rules now..

Silvio
08-18-2011, 04:04 PM
I came home and am online again.
And result was 54-45 for Morroco. And then only Senegal, Senegal, ... 56-63 for SEN. Now I read here it was 54-40, that is 23-2 partial score :eek:
I must jinxed Morroco :D

mohsena2631
08-18-2011, 04:16 PM
In which meaning? I didn't expect somethign at all, I'm just ejoying competition. :)

P.s. what more can you expect when so many good players don't play...even Nigeria could have such a good team but unfortunately they don't...

yes I know

I'm comparing it to Asian level and it's not any better. of course the level is nothing comparing to europe !

--

what is the format of this tournament ? how many teams from each group get to the next round? all of them ? all 16 ? :confused:

sagenas
08-18-2011, 04:21 PM
yes I know

I'm comparing it to Asian level and it's not any better. of course the level is nothing comparing to europe !

--

what is the format of this tournament ? how many teams from each group get to the next round? all of them ? all 16 ? :confused:

Well, basketball is more popular in Asia than in Africa.

///

I think only 2 from group...but I don't know, wasn't interested, yet.

JGX
08-18-2011, 04:22 PM
It seems that he is the same guy with the one who played against CAR today and JGX posted before and certainly has nothing to do with Damarcus Ellis.

Not entirely--his "official" birthdate on FIBA site is the same as Damarcus Ellis's birthdate.

Anyway, even the CAR coach said in his blog yesterday that Rwanda had five naturalized Americans, so it's not like there are any big secrets.

Silvio
08-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Why is FIBA-Africa using the horrible sportresult tracker?

Egypt looks really bad.

Absolutely awful. I saw many bad livestats, design or functionality or both ... but this one easily beats them all in suckidness.

Highlights:
- disgusting and absurd "feature": when I choose boxscore (hidden in some listbox instead being displayed by default) not only I see stats for only 1 team (stupid "feature" seen in many bad Euro livestats), but I don't even see all 12 players of one team displayed. I must scroll down to see rest of players - but then I don't see players from top of roster. My comment: :mad: :confused: :mad: :D :mad: :eek: :mad:

- 80% of screen is used by really weird illustration in 70's graffiti artists style, while usable data is squeezed in other 20% of screen. It would be great if it was self-ironic (FIBA IT still in 70's) ... but I know FIBA is not capable of kind of humor. Anyway, too big screen but actually tiny livestats.

- usual FIBA tricks with "registration" - they want your email address for later spamming. But you can put any text in email address box (provided it is in format of mail address, but don't use [email protected] **** yourself.hr, I used that one already) to complete your "registration"

- funny thing: to enter livestats of particular game, one must first choose "Your favorite team" before being able to see stats at all. I'm no newbie, but that left me puzzling ... until I found out I must click on one of two teams' flags. Of course, I don't know African flags ... so I always click on left of two flags. But FIBA statisticians count "votes" (of all people mad enough to use this) and declare results later. Funny, "left" teams always comfortably wins "poll".

- annoying thing: list of game's is sorted by date, and not normally = "today's game at top" . As tournament goes on, we will have to scroll and scrol down to find really live games

But main reason I'm writing this is:
This FIBA livestats application causes crashing of my Firefox (Firefox 3.6.20, I did not tried other versions, nor I tried other browsers, I do not need additional crashes).
It rather hangs than crashes = even worse, I must manually kill task.
Firefox crashed like 7 times in 2 days (and usually it is very stable) , only common denominator was this damn FIBA livestats.
If something is causing your browser to crash recently - then it's probably this FIBA livestats.

Weird. Annoying. Almost completely not functional. Plus causes occasional crashing of browser. On scale 1 to 10 I give it 0 (zero).

JGX
08-19-2011, 02:53 AM
Absolutely awful. I saw many bad livestats, design or functionality or both ... but this one easily beats them all in suckidness.

Highlights:

I agree with all those. Plus:

--Doesn't work on my mobile device...either crashes the browser or doesn't update.

--The "lighter" version doesn't work.

JGX
08-19-2011, 03:00 AM
DaMarcus played in the regional qualifiers while the other guy is playing in Afrobasket 09 and 11.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fgogvpK3BY

#5 in the Regional Qualifiers (and final tournament) in 2009 was "Amandin Rutayisire", another one of their mystery players.

Mojado
08-19-2011, 06:17 AM
#5 in the Regional Qualifiers (and final tournament) in 2009 was "Amandin Rutayisire", another one of their mystery players.

A picture of Rutayisire would be nice.

Carlos Mugabo...is in reality Carlos Monroe:

http://www.fausports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/monroe_carlos00.html

He played in 2009 for Rwanda in Libya.
http://www.letelegramme.com/sports/basket/pro-b-ujap-quimper-carlos-monroe-nouveau-pivot-quimperois-20-10-2009-617709.php?utm_source=rss_telegramme&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss&xtor=RSS-52

thespywhozaggedme
08-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Anyone know why Samhan didn't suit up for Egypt? He would have been a real difference maker.

sixama23
08-19-2011, 09:08 AM
A picture of Rutayisire would be nice.

Rutayisire was in the Rwandan roster at the 2009 Qualifiers (http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/team/p/sid/6528/tid/352/_/2009_FIBA_Africa_Championship_for_Men_Qualifying_R ound/index.html) and at the 2009 Afrobasket. (http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/team/p/sid/6599/tid/352/_/2009_FIBA_Africa_Championship_for_Men/index.html) He had No 5 on his jersey at both tournaments.

At the 2009 Qualifiers, Rutayisire led his team to victory against Uganda (93-68). Here is a picture of him and an article about that game:

http://www.newtimes.co.rw/index.php?issue=13817&article=13648

If i am not mistaken, this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fgogvpK3BY) is from the match between Rwanda-Uganda for the 2009 qualifiers...

I am 99% sure, that Amandin Rutayisire and Damarcus Ellis is the same person :D:D

Also, Ellis or Rutayisire, was with Rwandan NT at the training camp in Italy two years ago. Ellis Kayijuka was also there. He is also referred as Elias Kayijuka sometimes.

http://www.newtimes.co.rw/index.php?issue=13955&article=17478

One of these 20 players that had been there and are mentioned by this article, must be Patrick Fields from Baylor University...

This is Cameroun Curtis Bradley (No 8) from yesterday match against CAR...

http://www.telma.mg/afrobasket/images/photos/afrobasket/TOUR_PRELIMINAIRE_-_CAF_VS_RWA__18-08-2011/Afrobasket_CAF-RWA_14.jpg

For more photos from the Afrobasket, try this site:

http://www.telma.mg/afrobasket/accueil.php

chacharko
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Does anybody knows what's wrong with Amine Rzig? He played only 6 minutes against Togo...

Mojado
08-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Thiago Cordeiro...Ellis Kayijuka should speak some portuguese ;)
http://www.solobasket.com/fotos/30309_10.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/267350_10150274878149749_752294748_7451679_353855_ n.jpg

Look closely to Number 54: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL24sE615B4
You can recognize the same tatoo that can be seen in this picture:
http://www.telma.mg/afrobasket/images/photos/afrobasket/TOUR_PRELIMINAIRE_-_CAF_VS_RWA__18-08-2011/Afrobasket_CAF-RWA_14.jpg

Real roster of 2009:
http://libya2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/09/fafcm/team/p/rid//sid/6599/tid/352/profile.html

4 Kami Kabangu - Democratic Rep. of Congo
5 DaMarcus Ellis - USA
6 Thiago Cordeiro - Brazil
7 Ntumba Buzangu - Democratic Rep. of Congo
8 Aime Nkusi - Rwanda
9 Albert Rukundo - ?
10 Hamza Ruhezamihigo - Burundi
11 Robert Thomson - USA
12 Kenny Wilson - USA
13 Carlos Monroe - USA
14 Matt Miller - USA
15 Brad Cameron - USA
Coach: Veceslav Kavedzija - Croatia

sixama23
08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Thiago Cordeiro...Ellis Kayijuka should speak some portuguese ;)

This is insane...:eek:
They are worse than Qatar...
What the hell is FIBA doing with that;

The real birthday of Cordeiro "Kayijuka" is on 18 December 1985...

Look what he wrote in his twitter on 6 August:

http://twitter.com/#!/thiago_54/status/99863516781088768 (http://twitter.com/#!/thiago_54/status/99863516781088768)

Mojado
08-19-2011, 01:34 PM
This is insane...:eek:
They are worst than Qatar...
What the hell is FIBA doing with that;

The real birthday of Cordeiro "Kayijuka" is on 18 December 1985...

Look what he wrote in his twitter on 6 August:

http://twitter.com/#!/thiago_54/status/99863516781088768 (http://twitter.com/#!/thiago_54/status/99863516781088768)

Now that's some nice work, Watson! :D

Ime Udoka just got himself a triple-double against Mozambique.

each way
08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
HT: Madagascar leads Mali 30-27

They skipped away to a 11 point lead early in the 2Q but Mali clawed their way back. Should be a good second half between 2 evenly matched teams.

sixama23
08-19-2011, 04:59 PM
HT: Madagascar leads Mali 30-27

They skipped away to a 11 point lead early in the 2Q but Mali clawed their way back. Should be a good second half between 2 evenly matched teams.

Mali won, 74-63.

Ivory Coast-Egypt live streaming:

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/8/112/v-291254.html (http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/8/112/v-291254.html)

sixama23
08-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Halftime: Ivory Coast-Egypt: 35-40

Egypt plays with great passion, Ivory Coast is disappointing against the zone defense.

Mojado
08-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Halftime: Ivory Coast-Egypt: 35-40

Egypt plays with great passion, Ivory Coast is disappointing against the zone defense.

0-15 3p by Ivory Coast against a simple 2-3 zone. Go Egypt Heat! :D

Dtown
08-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Go Egypt Heat! :D

Lol glad I'm not the only one thinking they straight ripped off the heat jerseys. Really surprising so far, I'm all for more upsets in this tournament.

sixama23
08-19-2011, 06:20 PM
0-15 3p by Ivory Coast against a simple 2-3 zone. Go Egypt Heat! :D

What's wrong with Diabate;
I think he hasn't played even a minute so far in the game...

Mojado
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Referee is a total joke. :mad: I never seen so biased refereeing.

Khalid80
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
The refs are screwing the Egyptians over :cool:.... What a shame

Mojado
08-19-2011, 06:53 PM
The refs are screwing the Egyptians over :cool:.... What a shame

well...now the are calling bogus fouls against CIV...

Khalid80
08-19-2011, 07:00 PM
well...now the are calling bogus fouls against CIV...

Now they're trying to show that they called the game fair :D

The Egyptian player who was on the floor has excellent theatrical skills :p (I hope he hasn't been influenced by watching the Spanish teams in action :D)

Congrats for Egypt on the great win :)

Cote D'Ivoire kept on insisting taking those 3's the whole match (I remember they were 3/26 but i'm not sure if that was the final outcome)

JGX
08-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Heh, Egypt got literally every call after the coach was ejected. If I was making an international basketball sitcom it would definitely involve and Egyptian team and a Serbian coach.

CIV doesn't impress, I think they're a team that just had a good run in 2009 rather than an African power. They could probably use Amagou.

sixama23
08-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Congrats to Egypt! Their team seems to have a bright future...

Great result for them but even greater for the Cameroonians :)

Silvio
08-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Yesterday was surprisingly interesting day. I was able to watch games (but did other work at same time so not entire games).

South Africa - Cameroon 65-87 (http://madagascar2011.fiba.com//pages/eng/fe/11/fafcm/p/eid/7915/gid/4/grid/C/rid/8554/sid/7915/game.html)
South Africa led 15-10 at one moment in Q1, and they looked like sound team using their biggie Gabriel well. But then Cameroon started to play aggressive defense and in Q2 it was 18-37, partial score 27-3 with RSA scoring all those 3 points from free throws line and commiting something like 12 turnovers in 8 minutes. Against determined defense, true face of RSA team came out.
South Africa cut the lead to 30-40 at halftime, and even cut lead to only -5 at start on 2nd half (35-40), but then Cameroon started pressing again ... 38-51 ... 39-62 ... game over. CMR shot 3-pointers only 1/17, but had 16 turnovers to huge 33 by RSA.

Mozambique - Nigeria 63-78 (http://madagascar2011.fiba.com//pages/eng/fe/11/fafcm/p/eid/7915/gid/4/grid/A/rid/8554/sid/7915/game.html)
Nigeria did not play particularly well, but they did not need it against Mozambique. After Q1 NGR was 20-11 up, but two MOZ 3-pointers cut the lead to +3 only. NGR regained double digits lead near end of Q2 (28-39) and led by 10 to 15 points rest of the game. Ime Udoka had triple double with 13 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds. Nigeria had 50 rebounds to opponents 28 and thanks to that would won even if Mozambique hadn't shot really poor 34.4% (NGR 47.5%).

Madagascar - Mali 63-74 (http://madagascar2011.fiba.com//pages/eng/fe/11/fafcm/p/eid/7915/gid/3/grid/A/rid/8554/sid/7915/game.html)
Madagascar surprisingly opened the game with 12-0 and led 23-14 after Q1. In Q2 Mali plays better, but at halftime still surprising lead by home team, 30-27. In Q3 Mali had 11-1 partial score to take lead 35-40, but soon it was 42-40 for MAD. It was real dog fight, Mali led 47-50 at end of Q3, but Madagascar took 58-54 lead in Q4. Then perhaps home team get tired, fouled a lot, MLI scored 7 free throws in a row (despite not being well in that department earlier in the game), soon it was 58-63, then 59-69.
I was surprised by good and fair referees in this game, I expected them to help home team in close game.
Also I was surprised by Mali not knowing how to play against zone defense, guard Modibo Niakate saved their asses hitting 5/11 threes and 11/12 free throws for 28 points (added 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 4 steals for great game).

Côte d'Ivoire - Egypt 75-82 (http://madagascar2011.fiba.com//pages/eng/fe/11/fafcm/p/eid/7915/gid/3/grid/C/rid/8554/sid/7915/game.html)
Côte d'Ivoire opened game with 15-5 lead ... then they started with alley oops and behind the back passes ... I had gut feeling such arrogance won't finish well ... and I was right. With a lot of help by referees and indolence of CIV Egypt tied game at 27, then lead 35-40 at halftime. Egypt played zone defense for most of game, because somehow CIV could not hit 3-pointer, at one point it was 0/17. For that reason (CIV could not buy 3-pointer and did not know other way to break EGY zone), game was close for entire 2nd half. At 64-67, CIV scored 6 points in one possession because of technical fouls for lead 70-67. Somehow, they stopped playing then and EGY soon was up again, 70-77 and eventually won.
Most exciting game so far and first surprise of tournament. CIV shot 3-pointers 3/27, if they don't correct it, everyone will play zone defense against them and crash their high expectations.

Mojado
08-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Now the stats arent working anymore.
http://static.sportresult.com/federations/fiba/live-2011-node/?event=7915&game=14

Silvio
08-20-2011, 11:41 AM
I see on other site Morocco won over Chad 89-57 halftime 40-30.

I hope livestats start working soon. I'm in train now, I'll be out of home for a week or so. I will have internet at my destination, but no flat rate there, so no watching games for me anymore. If livestats will be down, then just waiting for final score :mad:

Silvio
08-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Still travelling. Bored. On mobile device. Practicing my awful copy/paste skills

15:00 TOGO -*C. AFRICAN REP. 12-22 19-15 HT*31-37

Sorry for ... not off topic ... but pretty obsolete posts ... but really bored w/o both livestats and livestream

Silvio
08-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Togo - c. African rep.
12-22 19-15 17-19 9-26
57-82

JGX
08-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Oddly enough I can get a live stream to work on my mobile device but not the live stats.

Only saw the last 1.5 quarters of CAF-Togo, it had been a close game but CAF pulled away. Mays was on the bench the whole time, announcer said the coach was upset with him but I didn't catch exactly why.

Ugly first half between Tunisia and Rwanda but Tunisia has picked it up now. Angola-Senegal next should be the biggest game of the tournament so far, at least on paper.

chacharko
08-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Oddly enough I can get a live stream to work on my mobile device but not the live stats.

Only saw the last 1.5 quarters of CAF-Togo, it had been a close game but CAF pulled away. Mays was on the bench the whole time, announcer said the coach was upset with him but I didn't catch exactly why.

Ugly first half between Tunisia and Rwanda but Tunisia has picked it up now. Angola-Senegal next should be the biggest game of the tournament so far, at least on paper.

When I'm watching Rwanda I must say (And I would never believe I say it) Americans can't play basketball :D ... A lot of silly mistakes.. No idea... Tunisia is playing badly.. but it's enough..

JGX
08-20-2011, 04:45 PM
When I'm watching Rwanda I must say (And I would never believe I say it) Americans can't play basketball :D

They're just trying extra hard to look Rwandan. And the coach is definitely a "pack of cigarettes at halftime" Serb rather than a basketball coach Serb.

Silvio
08-20-2011, 05:54 PM
When I'm watching Rwanda I must say (And I would never believe I say it) Americans can't play basketball :D ... A lot of silly mistakes.. No idea... Tunisia is playing badly.. but it's enough..

Somebody already asked in this thread, "why they go through all trouble just to assimilate (for American standards) bad players". I never thought about it, but now that I think about it:
- best American players play in NBA for multi-million dollars contracts
- next tier players settle for 6-figures Euros (some for even 1 million+ Euros) in top leagues in Europe (like Spain, Greece, Turkey ... )
- lot of money can also be earned in Russia and some other ex-SSSR countries
- then there's leagues where middle tier American players can earn 5-figures (better among them 6-figures) Euros. Those are either good leagues but bad economy (example Adriatic league: Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia) or not so good leagues but good local economy (like Germany or Belgium)
- even bellow there are lowly leagues like Cyprus, Hungary or similar
- also there are leagues with Americans in China, Philippines and some other Asian countries
- there's NBDL league in USA, poor quality but close to eyes of NBA managers

Then for Rwanda and similar countries play players that can't find job in any of many leagues around world. Their agent can't find them team in any European league, even in lowest level basketball leagues average domestic players' level higher than them. Yet those players are willing to work outside of USA, while risking some FIBA suspension because of citizenship shenanigans. Then it must be players that are practically willing to play for food and accommodation.

JGX
08-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Wow, I stop watching after the first quarter because it looks like Angola is going to win big, turn back and now Senegal is up by 9 in the third quarter...

Dtown
08-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Anyone watching Senegal vs Angola, I know it's the first round and everyone qualifies for the knockout but I am completely unused to Angola struggling at all in the competitions.

edit: according to wikipedia Angola hasn't lost a game in this competition since 2001 :eek:

will make the 4th quarter interesting. 70-65 Senegal.

chacharko
08-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Somebody already asked in this thread, "why they go through all trouble just to assimilate (for American standards) bad players". I never thought about it, but now that I think about it:
- best American players play in NBA for multi-million dollars contracts
- next tier players settle for 6-figures Euros (some for even 1 million+ Euros) in top leagues in Europe (like Spain, Greece, Turkey ... )
- lot of money can also be earned in Russia and some other ex-SSSR countries
- then there's leagues where middle tier American players can earn 5-figures (better among them 6-figures) Euros. Those are either good leagues but bad economy (example Adriatic league: Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia) or not so good leagues but good local economy (like Germany or Belgium)
- even bellow there are lowly leagues like Cyprus, Hungary or similar
- also there are leagues with Americans in China, Philippines and some other Asian countries
- there's NBDL league in USA, poor quality but close to eyes of NBA managers

Then for Rwanda and similar countries play players that can't find job in any of many leagues around world. Their agent can't find them team in any European league, even in lowest level basketball leagues average domestic players' level higher than them. Yet those players are willing to work outside of USA, while risking some FIBA suspension because of citizenship shenanigans. Then it must be players that are practically willing to play for food and accommodation.

Aahaa.... thanks for explanation.. I have never wondered this in that way... but it's logical... btw.. check the rwanda's women team link (http://www.africabasket.com/Rwanda/basketball.asp?NewsID=175035&Women=1) not many rwanda's names :D

JGX
08-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Liam giving Angola a hardtime for their flopping.

Dtown...dunno if you have a fibatv.com subscription but if not there should be a stream link on sportlemon.tv.

JGX
08-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Here's the story of how Rob Thomson came to play for Rwanda. Actually pretty cool.
http://articles.mcall.com/2007-07-12/sports/3743859_1_rwanda-thomson-fellowship

Dtown
08-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Liam giving Angola a hardtime for their flopping.

Dtown...dunno if you have a fibatv.com subscription but if not there should be a stream link on sportlemon.tv.

Oh I'm definitely watching (got bored with the GB/China game) :p

chacharko
08-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Anyone watching Senegal vs Angola, I know it's the first round and everyone qualifies for the knockout but I am completely unused to Angola struggling at all in the competitions.

edit: according to wikipedia Angola hasn't lost a game in this competition since 2001 :eek:

will make the 4th quarter interesting. 70-65 Senegal.

I think the sunset of Angolan basketball is coming... This year no Cipriano, some retired players... only Morais, Gomes, Mingas, Barros.. there is only one player from recent junior teams who has some higher quality - Kiala... :( I hope something'll change because Angola is the sympathetic team which has impressed me... but I'm sceptical about future..

Dtown
08-20-2011, 06:38 PM
It reminds me of whenever the US is in danger of losing really, its so rare the rest of the context doesn't matter!

Bucket and the foul! Senegal up by 4!

Dtown
08-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Class act Angola. Streak ends and they don't foul acknowledging defeat and shake hands with their competitors. :)

Amazing streak first loss since 2001, and they are still very capable of winning this tournament.

Silvio
08-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Aahaa.... thanks for explanation.. I have never wondered this in that way... but it's logical... btw.. check the rwanda's women team link (http://www.africabasket.com/Rwanda/basketball.asp?NewsID=175035&Women=1) not many rwanda's names :D

No, it's not explanation. It's just my speculation. I also never thought about it ... until few days ago. Then logically concluded some things. Still ... it's my speculation, and not some hard facts.

zlim
08-20-2011, 07:47 PM
I think the sunset of Angolan basketball is coming... This year no Cipriano, some retired players... only Morais, Gomes, Mingas, Barros.. there is only one player from recent junior teams who has some higher quality - Kiala... :( I hope something'll change because Angola is the sympathetic team which has impressed me... but I'm sceptical about future..

We know that the entire basketball world are tired of Angola:) but we are not finished and I believe that in the end of competition we will smile again:D

rikhardur
08-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Angola had to lose someday, but this only gives reason to those who expressed doubts about Gomez's appointment. Also the disagreement with Cipriano that led to him being cut may be having a negative effect on the team.

sagenas
08-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Better to loose right now than in stage when you can be eliminated. :)

P.s. anyone knows some websites where I could read about African basketball in English or Russian?

Silvio
08-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Better to loose right now than in stage when you can be eliminated. :)

P.s. anyone knows some websites where I could read about African basketball in English or Russian?

I know only this 2 sites:

http://basket-in-africa.blogspot.com/
http://www.africabasket.com/ (you can choose country in "Select a Country" on left side to filter news only for 1 country)

sagenas
08-20-2011, 09:34 PM
I know only this 2 sites:

http://basket-in-africa.blogspot.com/
http://www.africabasket.com/ (you can choose country in "Select a Country" on left side to filter news only for 1 country)

AfricaBasket is part of those others with every continent...it's full of mistakes and I prefer reading bloge-type articles to get not only the main information but thoughts and more specific information. Whatever, thanks.

soliman
08-20-2011, 09:56 PM
nigeria and senegal always had to have the best players but they lack consistency and play as a team and On the other side Angola Playing as a team and seem very strong competitor to any other african team Despite the lack of heights and limited skills compared to nigeria and senegal

chacharko
08-20-2011, 10:07 PM
nigeria and senegal always had to have the best players but they lack consistency and play as a team and On the other side Angola Playing as a team and seem very strong competitor to any other african team Despite the lack of heights and limited skills compared to nigeria and senegal

No, no... If would Nigeria and Senegal have the players, Angola would be third..Especially in the case of Nigeria its power is almost unbelieveble.. Akognon, Akingbala, Aminu, Nsowu, Elonu, Archibong, Ibekwe, Skinn, Ebi, Ere, Eze, Varem, Anagonye, Efevberha, Adeleke, Obasohan, Alabi, another Aminu, Diogu, Udoka, Oguchi.. but it's for another discussion not for afrobasket 2011

soliman
08-20-2011, 10:08 PM
the level of the tournement is very low and the players are much more random and individual than they are with the tough system of European and American teams such as the nature of Africans :D

soliman
08-20-2011, 10:19 PM
No, no... If would Nigeria and Senegal have the players, Angola would be third..Especially in the case of Nigeria its power is almost unbelieveble.. Akognon, Akingbala, Aminu, Nsowu, Elonu, Archibong, Ibekwe, Skinn, Ebi, Ere, Eze, Varem, Anagonye, Efevberha, Adeleke, Obasohan, Alabi, another Aminu, Diogu, Udoka, Oguchi.. but it's for another discussion not for afrobasket 2011

I am talking in general and not for this afrobasket only and u can take a look at both teams roasters in 2009

behzadir
08-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Wowww!

Mali-Mozambique game headed to 2nd overtime. The last 30 seconds of OT1 was really exciting. 65-65 is the score.

One hell of a game for its own standard!

behzadir
08-21-2011, 11:53 AM
What a thriller! Mali leading 72-69 now with 10 seconds to go in OT2.

Last possession will be for Mozambique.

Edit: They have missed it!!
Mali win 72-69 after 50 minutes of exciting basketball!

stefanobet(.com)
08-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Ridicule match! :eek:

One of the worst game I've ever seen...:D

stefanobet(.com)
08-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Only two team play basketball: Angola (but missing of Olimpo Cipriano is too important) and Tunisia. Other play with a ball, but basketball is different :D