PDA

View Full Version : 90's or 00's?

Straight forward
12-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Since this decade is going to the end lets try to evaluate and compere this decade with 90's. Was this decade prosperity or decadence? Which decade is more prosperous in terms of talent and figures? (some players definitely belongs to both decades, in that causes we could use the argument of the "peak" if that is possible)

My thesis:

- 90's where superior in terms of individuality.
Sabonis had skills that no-one has these days, though I believe Pau Gasol is not worse player generally. My main concern is about shooting guards: can any shooting guard could compete with Petrovič and Marčiulionis these days? I would come up with conclusion that Navarro is the best SG this decade and he's not exactly the guy who can take all the game in his hands (how come European BB seems to be out of really athletic guards lately? Or I'm wrong here?) .
Both decades rich with all-rounded players- Kukoč VS Nowitzcki.

-00's where superior in terms of complete teams like Spain, Lithuania, Greece, Italy, France, Slovenia (despite horrible results), Croatia. All these teams had pretty long bench and didn't rely on few players. I would say it's an outcome of increasing popularity of BB.

For the conclusion, I think the all 90's team would be superior against 00's team.

What's your opinion on this issue?

pohani komarac
12-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Since this decade is going to the end lets try to evaluate and compere this decade with 90's. Was this decade prosperity or decadence? Which decade is more prosperous in terms of talent and figures? (some players definitely belongs to both decades, in that causes we could use the argument of the "peak" if that is possible)

My thesis:

- 90's where superior in terms of individuality.
Sabonis had skills that no-one has these days, though I believe Pau Gasol is not worse player generally. My main concern is about shooting guards: can any shooting guard could compete with Petrovič and Marčiulionis these days? I would come up with conclusion that Navarro is the best SG this decade and he's not exactly the guy who can take all the game in his hands (how come European BB seems to be out of really athletic guards lately? Or I'm wrong here?) .
Both decades rich with all-rounded players- Kukoč VS Nowitzcki.

-00's where superior in terms of complete teams like Spain, Lithuania, Greece, Italy, France, Slovenia (despite horrible results), Croatia. All these teams had pretty long bench and didn't rely on few players. I would say it's an outcome of increasing popularity of BB.

For the conclusion, I think the all 90's team would be superior against 00's team.

What's your opinion on this issue?

I don't know for other but Croatian 90is are superior to Croatian 00's. they even beat them in 2003. without Kukoc and not to metnion Petrovic in friendley game played in Drazen honer. It was friendley but loosing from retired or just to be retired guys it is shame.

Personaly i think Serbia, Croatia and Lithuania had better teams in 90is but rest and especially Spain, Turkey, France and Slovenia impruved. Germany and Greece impruved to. I don't know where to put Russia and rest

LordOfLeyte
12-27-2009, 10:45 AM
I'll be missing the likes of Petrovic, Sabonis & Schrempf but as time passes, the likes of Nowitzki, Papaloukas, Smodis, Bodriga, Parker, Kirilenko, Stojakovic & Gasol where phenomenal in terms of Global popularity by virtue of a much more global extension of mass media such as the internet nowadays.

ArnoldPettybone
12-27-2009, 01:33 PM
80's...

Alyosha12
12-27-2009, 01:41 PM
IMO as far as EURO basketball goes, the 00' are far superior, you have a lot more money in the game a lot more interest, a lot more good teams, the game is better, the players are more complete, the competition is more professional etc.

In almost any aspect except the fact that the 90' and the 80' had more legends playing but one could make an argument that the competition in the 80' and 90' was far worse then it is today in Europe.

IMO the quality of the game has skyrocketed in Europe in the 00' and it will only get better, i just hope in the future there will be more young players thinking like the Serbian young guys who don't really see the NBA as their only and last goal, and so Europe will be able to retain a lot more talent, plus the USA young talent that will fly in because of the age limit...

linzday
12-28-2009, 09:04 AM
80's +1

seigle42
12-29-2009, 12:41 PM
i go for 80's and 90's players are unstoppable and better than 00's

Roy M
12-29-2009, 01:10 PM
It's unfair competition between.

30 sec vs. 24 sec.
The defence vs. offensive.
Split vs. Maccabi. (Both, the biggest ever Europe teams)