X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lebanon national team 2010

LIB – Lebanon goes to Turkey with one eye on London 2012

BEIRUT (2010 FIBA World Championship) – Nowhere in Asia is there a bigger appetite for basketball than Lebanon.

For that reason, there was unbridled enthusiasm and a huge sense of relief in the country after the news broke on December 12 that the national team had received a wild card to play at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

FIBA Secretary General Patrick Baumann made the recommendations that Lebanon, Lithuania, Russia and Germany receive the wild cards and the FIBA Central Board unanimously approved them.

A winning tradition, participation in the last two FIBA World Championships and a passionate fan base were all contributing factors in the wild-card decision.

“I think the last 25 or 30 years in which we achieved results, both clubs and national teams, it's made basketball popular for the Lebanese people,” Lebanese Basketball Federation president Pierre Kakhia said to FIBA.Com.

“If there is ever basketball in the news, it gets the maximum readers.

“We have even more supporters outside of Lebanon, all over the world, in the Gulf, in the United States, in Argentina and Brazil. We have a lot of fans and all Lebanese are proud we have a good national team.”

The wild-card announcement came four months after Lebanon’s painful 72-68 defeat to hosts China in the Semi-Finals of the 2009 FIBA Asia Championship.

Dragan Raca’s team still had a chance to qualify by winning the bronze-medal game but fell to Jordan, 80-66.

Kakhia said of the fans: “Everyone loves us, feels sorry for us, and no one blames anyone (about not qualifying directly).”

The federation president says he expects 2,000 to 4,000 fans to follow the national team next year in Turkey.

So what are Lebanon’s chances of winning some games next year?

The draw was held on December 15 – three days after the wild-card announcement – and Lebanon ended up in Group D against France, Spain, Lithuania, New Zealand and Canada.

“We played against France at the last World Championship and won,” Kakhia remembered fondly.

“It's one of the good results of the national team. We hope we can achieve some good results, particularly with Canada and New Zealand as we feel they are close to our level and we hope to play a good match against the champions Spain as well.”

Kakhia has revealed that he expects to have a new man in charge of the national team in early January.

“There will be a new coach from the United States,” he said.

“We are in the middle of the negotiations.”

While grateful for the opportunity to play in Turkey, Kakhia says he and Lebanon are thinking about another big tournament as well.

“Our target is not the World Cup (Championship),” he said. “It’s important, but our target is to qualify for the Olympics in London. So we will have a coaching program to take us to the World Championship and to have a team at the Olympics in London, 2012.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Thanks Rik!

i have a feeling that the new coach is Jim Harrick (American-Lebanese coach)
    Proud to be Lebanese
    www.arabasket.com

Comment

I think getting Jim Harrick is a mistake. It would just be a publicity stunt, the man might have huge experience in college basketball, being an excellent coach at the NCAA level, winning the championship in 1995, but he never coached a Professional club (except 1 year in the D-League), neither a national team.
      I don't think he would be a great choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Laziz View Post
        I think getting Jim Harrick is a mistake. It would just be a publicity stunt, the man might have huge experience in college basketball, being an excellent coach at the NCAA level, winning the championship in 1995, but he never coached a Professional club (except 1 year in the D-League), neither a national team.
        I don't think he would be a great choice.
        What about the american NT's coach?

Comment

Originally posted by Lebanon View Post
          What about the american NT's coach?
          He has American players.

Comment

Originally posted by daniab View Post
            Thanks Rik!

i have a feeling that the new coach is Jim Harrick (American-Lebanese coach)
            Dani is he a good coach ????

Comment

Originally posted by khaledlebanon View Post
              Dani is he a good coach ????
              check his resume man ..... of course he is , he already won an NCAA championship

Comment

there was a meeting today to discuss the NTs in the FLB. I hope to have some news about that...

about Harrick, I will try to avoid getting him to the NT if I was in the FLB.

Comment

spider why is it because his age or his behavior problem in colleges but as a coach he has a great career

Comment

The guy has a superb CV, despite his acts, but I think such an experienced coach might be able to overcome all the childish acts some of our players always show. I just hope he gets into work asap. By the way his salary seem to be good as a coach for 3 years with such a CV :P

Comment

Originally posted by kerdito View Post
                      The guy has a superb CV, despite his acts, but I think such an experienced coach might be able to overcome all the childish acts some of our players always show. I just hope he gets into work asap. By the way his salary seem to be good as a coach for 3 years with such a CV :P
                      i hope so, nshalla he will lead us to qualify to the 2nd round in the world cup and qualify for the first time to the olympic games in london

Comment

I was trying to be positive, after we got the wild card, but sadly I am reminded of our sad reality.
                        Like I said before, getting a coach like Jim Harrick is a media stunt by the federation; "we got a great Lebanese coach from outside bla bla bla..."

Why one earth would we appoint someone who has 0 experience coaching a national team, 1 year of experience coaching a pro team and a failed one, held a 2-14 record with the Jams in the Dleague, and some serious ethical issue (he is now banned from coaching in the NCAA).

It's just my point of view, Mr. Harrick is (was?) without any doubt a great coach, but I don't think he is the man of the situation.

Good luck to him anyway.

Comment

I think bringing in such a coach would be a great asset for our NT due to his long NCAA coaching experience.
                          My only main concerns r that he is 71 years old, his wife just recently (1 month ago) passed away, and he hasn't been coaching on a high level since 2003.

About his controversies, I don't think it's such a big deal. At the end of the days it's not like all of our previous coaches have been "angels" and haven't had issues

Anyway, let's see what happens.
                          Last edited by Khalid80; 12-22-2009, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Czarkazem13 View Post
                            He has American players.
                            Obviously I wasnt talking about the level difference between both teams!

I was just pointing to the fact that while the dresam team was declining and losing championships against european teams, the americans took the risk and appointed a coach who wwas a NCAA veteran but without experience in coaching pro teams.

Comment

I was right its Jim Harrick!

I don't think its a bad idea,coaching in the NCAA demade a good knowledge and he won the NCAA Championship!

Lets see!
                              Proud to be Lebanese
                              www.arabasket.com

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information