PDA

View Full Version : Chris Tiu Thread

bestkept
11-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Hi guys...I made a thread for Chris Tui..unlike other threads, I would like this (sana) to be a thread that would not worship him. but rather talk about him in a way that post your opinion about his game, his strenghts, weakness, if he will play well in FIBA. but do not post hate..

let me start..
back he was in college, I didn't even watch him more than 5 times..but I know he is a shooter, a leader of Ateneo and a champion in the amateur ranks..I believed that he was over hyped by the "non-sports" media and always seeing him in the news in the showbiz section. I once read that he is hailed as a "basketball god"..as if he was an MVP of a FIBA tourney..

well, now he is with Smart Gilas, I think he is some kind of an emotional leader of the team..hopefully we can see him shoot very effectively against taller guards of the other teams..

how bout you?:)

randomguy
11-28-2009, 04:25 AM
Sobrang Cheesy talaga!:D

weward
11-28-2009, 05:36 AM
lets talk about muscles..haha

eindhow
11-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Sobrang Cheesy talaga!:D

Haha!;p

I think Chris Tiu is definitely underrated back in his college days and upto now.. Dumb viewers always say "puro pacute lang naman yan".. But they don't look on how he affects the play of ADMU everytime he is on the court.. He brought his leadership at Gilas and it is working wonders for Toroman..

He is really a scorer, not a shooter.. This is accdg to "Dr. J" Andy Jao who claims to have been watching Chris play way back in his grade school days.. UYY! SOBRANG CHEESY!!!;p

Of course his downside is his height.. Watching the game last night, I think Jonas Villanueva is taller than him.. And he plays the point guard slot while Tiu is a 2 guard.. That would create lots of mismatches for teams in other countries.. But hey, the Phils always had small guards.. Caguioa I think is as tall as Tiu but he played excellently during the 2007 FIBA Asia..

TrueBluePinoy
11-28-2009, 05:45 AM
Not exactly a hater. But my brother and I used to call him "Crazy" Tiu. Also thought he was going to be the weak link for Gilas. But whenever he steps in he always does wonders for the team both inside and outside the court.

grahamtelly
11-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Chris Tiu i love his eyes hahaha sobrang cheezy talaga!!!
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6728/copyofhsm2posterrx9.jpg

rensquared
11-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi guys...I made a thread for Chris Tui..unlike other threads, I would like this (sana) to be a thread that would not worship him. but rather talk about him in a way that post your opinion about his game, his strenghts, weakness, if he will play well in FIBA. but do not post hate..

let me start..
back he was in college, I didn't even watch him more than 5 times..but I know he is a shooter, a leader of Ateneo and a champion in the amateur ranks..I believed that he was over hyped by the "non-sports" media and always seeing him in the news in the showbiz section. I once read that he is hailed as a "basketball god"..as if he was an MVP of a FIBA tourney..

well, now he is with Smart Gilas, I think he is some kind of an emotional leader of the team..hopefully we can see him shoot very effectively against taller guards of the other teams..

how bout you?:)

He was hailed as a god back in our High School days coz he was so damn good. It was always a nightmare everytime we play against Xavier, with him and TY Tang manning their backcourt. This two can be easily named MVP. He is a team player that can score at will during those days. Their trapping defense was similar to what La Salle is implementing. A great Point guard teamed up with great shooter. Both can defend. The way I remember it, TY will usually pressure the opposing guard and bring him to the sidelines where Chris will block the passing lane. And when the opposing guard changes direction, BOOM! A steal and an easy two for TY or a free three by chris. Men that was a headache back then.

He's a rich kid, a great basketball player (MVP!), got the looks, a validictorian, and he has a beautiful girlfriend. A perfect Life! What else are you gonna ask for?

GilG
11-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Haha!;p

I think Chris Tiu is definitely underrated back in his college days and upto now.. Dumb viewers always say "puro pacute lang naman yan".. But they don't look on how he affects the play of ADMU everytime he is on the court.. He brought his leadership at Gilas and it is working wonders for Toroman..

He is really a scorer, not a shooter.. This is accdg to "Dr. J" Andy Jao who claims to have been watching Chris play way back in his grade school days.. UYY! SOBRANG CHEESY!!!;p

Of course his downside is his height.. Watching the game last night, I think Jonas Villanueva is taller than him.. And he plays the point guard slot while Tiu is a 2 guard.. That would create lots of mismatches for teams in other countries.. But hey, the Phils always had small guards.. Caguioa I think is as tall as Tiu but he played excellently during the 2007 FIBA Asia..

No disrespect, but Tiu is nowhere near MC's agility, quickness, and explosiveness. These are the things that he used when he played in the 2007 Fiba Championships.

TrueBluePinoy
11-28-2009, 07:41 AM
No disrespect, but Tiu is nowhere near MC's agility, quickness, and explosiveness. These are the things that he used when he played in the 2007 Fiba Championships.

Tiu has better decision making that's for sure.

GilG
11-28-2009, 07:41 AM
He's great scorer and I like his mental approach to the game. He's the kind of player who doesn't have much flash but is still very effective. IMHO, he plays a lot like JJ Reddick. Both can shoot, both are great leaders, and both are very smart players on the court.

GilG
11-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Tiu has better decision making that's for sure.

Not really. MC has proven time and time again that he's a clutch player during crucial stretches of the game. I would pick MC over Tiu if I'm going to build a team.

TrueBluePinoy
11-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Not really. MC has proven time and time again that he's a clutch player during crucial stretches of the game. I would pick MC over Tiu if I'm going to build a team.

PBA team maybe. But for the NT, I don't think his style of play cuts it

GilG
11-28-2009, 07:52 AM
PBA team maybe. But for the NT, I don't think his style of play cuts it

I remember MC being part of the 2007 Fiba Champions Cup mythical team. I believe that given enough time playing abroad, MC would be able to show off his stuff. Last time I checked, Chris Tiu was some kicking ass... in the PBA :D

Seriously, Chris Tiu will never be the offensive juggernaut that MC is. Right now, he is what he is. A solid shooter who uses his superb BB IQ to beat his opponents.

TrueBluePinoy
11-28-2009, 07:57 AM
I remember MC being part of the 2007 Fiba Champions Cup mythical team. I believe that given enough time playing abroad, MC would be able to show off his stuff. Last time I checked, Chris Tiu was some kicking ass... in the PBA :D

Seriously, Chris Tiu will never be the offensive juggernaut that MC is. Right now, he is what he is. A solid shooter who uses his superb BB IQ to beat his opponents.

He doesn't need to be. He should be a better version of himself rather than a carbon copy of another.

GilG
11-28-2009, 08:00 AM
He doesn't need to be. He should be a better version of himself rather than a carbon copy of another.

Thus, he'll never be the focal point of any team he plays on. He's a leader no doubt, but the expect the offense be run off through him. That's what MC brings to the table and that's the reason he's so hard to stop.

TrueBluePinoy
11-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Thus, he'll never be the focal point of any team he plays on. He's a leader no doubt, but the expect the offense be run off through him. That's what MC brings to the table and that's the reason he's so hard to stop.

That's his role. To be the facilitator and the glue of the team. He will score if he has to but he prefers his teammates to do most of the work.

Pating0309
11-28-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't think we can nor we should compare the two... Both of them have it's own strengths or weaknesses..but if i wear to pick a one to form a team.. I'll for Tiu. He's more intelligent and team player unlike MC. MCCrocs.

Peace PBA fans. :D

GilG
11-28-2009, 08:23 AM
That's his role. To be the facilitator and the glue of the team. He will score if he has to but he prefers his teammates to do most of the work.

He plays his role well. Then again, you can't take away the fact that he doesn't possess the things that Caguioa has. Call him a leader if you want, but the talent of a Caguiao is something very few players can match. I'm cool with Tiu, but he'll never be the franchise player that MC is. Also, he still has a lot more to prove if you're going to compare him with MC. I remember one player from
Australia who said that MC is hard to keep up with. I don't think Tiu will instill the same kind of fear and respect when he plays internationally. Sure he'll hit some shots here and there, but his impact will be limited.

TrueBluePinoy
11-28-2009, 08:49 AM
He plays his role well. Then again, you can't take away the fact that he doesn't possess the things that Caguioa has. Call him a leader if you want, but the talent of a Caguiao is something very few players can match. I'm cool with Tiu, but he'll never be the franchise player that MC is. Also, he still has a lot more to prove if you're going to compare him with MC. I remember one player from
Australia who said that MC is hard to keep up with. I don't think Tiu will instill the same kind of fear and respect when he plays internationally. Sure he'll hit some shots here and there, but his impact will be limited.

And Chris Tiu will never be Caguioa. In fact I don't like him to be one.

sergio23
11-28-2009, 08:53 AM

MC failed to deliver in tokushima..The reason why Tiu looks good now is the system.. I doubt if Toroman want MC over Tiu..

GilG
11-28-2009, 08:59 AM
And Chris Tiu will never be Caguioa. In fact I don't like him to be one.

Chris Tiu is the second coming of Olsen Racela. No more, no less.

weward
11-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Chris Tiu is the second coming of Olsen Racela. No more, no less.

then he must have a better concentration and will than olcen..or else remove him right away from gilas program..we dot need a freethrow choker... :cool:

alien space bats
11-28-2009, 03:41 PM
then he must have a better concentration and will than olcen..or else remove him right away from gilas program..we dot need a freethrow choker... :cool:

lol are you referring to the busan semifinals match? CT be better be made of sterner stuff then..

eindhow
11-28-2009, 03:54 PM

Hey, I was not comparing them both.. I was saying that the Phils always had a history of having small guards.. The excellent play of Caguioa was just an example..

Like I said, Chris is really underrated.. He is already quick and agile.. I don't think he be as explosive.. But he hasn't reached his peak yet.. We all saw what Caguiao could do at his peak.. What would Chris be like at his peak?? he and Gilas are just getting better everyday..

eindhow
11-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Racela was darn tired when he took those FTs.. He and Dondon were the ones who played big time during that game.. So I can say he didn't choke.. But the pressure was there.. So maybe he did..;p

Try shooting those when you're too tired to even run or dribble and you'll know what I'll mean..;p

2nd coming of Racela huh?? That would be nice..;p

Red Baron
11-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Guys just calm down.. MC (Mark Caguioa) is really a scoring machine if there is comparable player to him it will be the another MC (MaC Cardona). The two MC is much more full blooded Shooting Guard however in terms of defense and sipag ill go to Cardona but talent wise ill go to Caguioa.

Chris Tiu is much more a role player with an ability to score inside and outside, he always provide the stability the team needs not only inside the court but also outside the court. The only downside now is his height, he is small for SG but with his Basketball IQ it can be neutralize.

Don't get me wrong i am not a Pro-Tiu but the guy has improve a lot after he join the Gilas. Maybe the right for us to do is to observe his game if he can develop more.

Iron Monkey
11-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Hey, I was not comparing them both.. I was saying that the Phils always had a history of having small guards.. The excellent play of Caguioa was just an example..

Like I said, Chris is really underrated.. He is already quick and agile.. I don't think he be as explosive.. But he hasn't reached his peak yet.. We all saw what Caguiao could do at his peak.. What would Chris be like at his peak?? he and Gilas are just getting better everyday..

and the other is over rated :D

neo
11-28-2009, 04:19 PM
chris tiu and mc, olsen, and whoever are different.

ramzaruglia
11-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Tiu, as I see him, is like John Stockton when he was still playing at Gonzaga. Smart, clever and very efficient on the floor. No wasted movements...:cool:

durden_tyler
11-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Tiu, as I see him, is like John Stockton when he was still playing at Gonzaga. Smart, clever and very efficient on the floor. No wasted movements...:cool:

Probably. But he's not the purest of point guards though he is can be converted (Has been playing SG in his college years) and defensively, he can still get abused so that's something to improve on.

bestkept
11-29-2009, 03:29 AM
thanks for the reply on the thread I made..

uhm, it became a comparison between Caguioa and Tiu..

Caguioa = scorer
Tui = shooter, leadership

how do you expect Tui to hold up against the taller SG's of other countries?

jesronne
11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
thanks for the reply on the thread I made..

uhm, it became a comparison between Caguioa and Tiu..

Caguioa = scorer
Tui = shooter, leadership

how do you expect Tui to hold up against the taller SG's of other countries?

absolutely... im a fan of chris tiu but with the arrival of chris lutz next year i doubt if he will still get his minutes... and especially if stanley pringle comes in...

TrueBluePinoy
11-29-2009, 08:42 AM
absolutely... im a fan of chris tiu but with the arrival of chris lutz next year i doubt if he will still get his minutes... and especially if stanley pringle comes in...

How sure are you about that? Coach Rajko doesn't care if the new incoming players are products of NCAA I or if he has big league experience. Tiu has been with the program since its early days and he has blended superbly with the system. Not even a lutz or a pringle has something special that could "guarantee" them a spot in the team and dislodge the well-established players.

ARISTOTLE
11-29-2009, 08:47 AM
How sure are you about that? Coach Rajko doesn't care if the new incoming players are products of NCAA I or if he has big league experience. Tiu has been with the program since its early days and he has blended superbly with the system. Not even a lutz or a pringle has something special that could "guarantee" them a spot in the team and dislodge the well-established players.

Very RIGHT. Toroman chooses players not on the basis of school name or school classification. He chooses them on the basis of their ability to get HIS PLAYS. I have not seen Pringle and Lutz but when Lutz came here, Toroman was all praises. I am very sure that Lutz will not get Tiu's position. On Pringle, we just have to wait when he comes here. If indeed he is good he can be a BACK-UP to CASIO and Barroca.

Yeah, Pringle will just be a back-up.

jesronne
11-29-2009, 09:46 AM

your right that chris tiu is in the program for long time and blended well with the system... but if lutz will join SG next year it will be another story... lutz is roughly 6'2 or 6'3 too short for the SF spot, it only means that he will play as two guard... talent wise lutz is better than tiu... in leadership? hmmm... lutz is now the captain of a NCAA division 1 team... same with tiu in ateneo...

i am not a chris tiu hater... i just wanted to present reality that maybe someday someone could get his minutes...

ARISTOTLE
11-29-2009, 01:32 PM
your right that chris tiu is in the program for long time and blended well with the system... but if lutz will join SG next year it will be another story... lutz is roughly 6'2 or 6'3 too short for the SF spot, it only means that he will play as two guard... talent wise lutz is better than tiu... in leadership? hmmm... lutz is now the captain of a NCAA division 1 team... same with tiu in ateneo...

i am not a chris tiu hater... i just wanted to present reality that maybe someday someone could get his minutes...

He is the captain of a Div 1 school but Tiu is the captain of the PHIL NATL TEAM. I think that should put an end to that argument.

durden_tyler
11-29-2009, 01:37 PM
He is the captain of a Div 1 school but Tiu is the captain of the PHIL NATL TEAM. I think that should put an end to that argument.

And what is your point?

Clearly, no player will be given the reigns because of whatever school or program he comes from. That includes Chris Tiu. i like the guy--- i think he has the highest basketball IQ in this crew--- but ultimately, there will be competition in his position (this was the point of the previous poster) the likes of a Lutz and others will battle for that spot. Nothing is given as long as you impress Toroman and that you can adjust to his system and play it effectively.

jesronne
11-29-2009, 03:33 PM

as what sir nardy said... nothing is final yet with regards to the line up of smart gilas...

don manoah
11-29-2009, 04:32 PM
if ever Lutz does come here and play for Gilas and gets Tiu's playing time, it wouldn't be an issue if ever Lutz does deserve the starter SG. being team captain does not guarantee a starting five spot...

by the way i'm not a chris tiu hater...:D just being objective and fair in my opinion.

Red Baron
11-29-2009, 06:37 PM
If lutz decide to join gilas, i dont see any problem he will be additional firepower to the nationals and for Tiu i believe he fits well to the gilas system...

I can't comment to the game of lutz as far as i know i still did not see him play with gilas

GilG
12-01-2009, 05:12 AM

The same freethrow choker brought the 2002 RP team against Korea. Sure, he missed two big free throws but if not for that fluke three-pointer from Lee Sang Min, the silver medal could've been in the bag.

GilG
12-01-2009, 05:14 AM

I agree with you. Chris Tiu is more of a glue guy. He's not necessarily the best athlete in Gilas, but he's the one who stabilizes everything.

GilG
12-01-2009, 05:15 AM
and the other is over rated :D

MC overrated? He might be a one-dimensional player who can't defend but when it comes to offense, he's a stud.

GilG
12-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Choosing between Lutz and Tiu is a problem that any coach would want. Imagine having two great wingmen at your disposal. Toroman should be happy that this Gilas team has a lot of depth.

ARISTOTLE
12-01-2009, 06:12 AM
The same freethrow choker brought the 2002 RP team against Korea. Sure, he missed two big free throws but if not for that fluke three-pointer from Lee Sang Min, the silver medal could've been in the bag.

gold medal.:D

GilG
12-01-2009, 07:08 AM
gold medal.:D

I mean we're already assured of the silver medal if we reached the Finals :D

bestkept
12-01-2009, 07:12 AM

being a captain of a div 1 school in the US does not guarantee a starting 5 role for SG. if his game blends well with Toroman's system, he could compete for the starting 2 guard. if not, he can be dropped of the team..

Iron Monkey
12-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I mean we're already assured of the silver medal if we reached the Finals :D

and i think that's the highest we can get that asiad :(

kb0041
04-07-2010, 01:07 PM
When Chris Tiu was selected as the RP-5's team captain, I really had doubts since he is an unpopular choice for most of the hardcore basketball MALE fans and I am one of them (I have to emphasize the MALE part. hehe). But looking at his performance on Gilas' games, I think he is slowly getting my respect and I think most of the MALE fans out there. I am not really amazed with him in his UAAP days for I see him then as one of those "papogi" college players just like any other. But outside basketball, I am all praises to him as he is a good person.

This is only my opinion. What do you guys think?

kb0041
04-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't mean any offense to Chris Tiu. I'm just wondering if I share the sentiments as what most of the forumers here think.

Zero
04-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Yeah he is very deserving to be the Team Captain.

ask Coach Rajko and his assistants, even his teammates.

Nuff said.

paolylo
04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
no offense to you, but you need to back-read everything that's been said about Tiu's captain role in Smart Gilas. we already started talking about it since volume VII (http://forums.interbasket.net/f32/sbp-long-term-national-team-pool-11600/) of the SBP Long-term national team pool (http://forums.interbasket.net/f32/sbp-long-term-national-team-pool-12497/p88.html) thread. all of us agree that Tiu fits the captainball role both off and on the court so there's no need to talk about it.

welcome to interbasket.

Jeon_Addict
04-07-2010, 01:41 PM
:cool: No dice!

jahrakal
04-07-2010, 01:41 PM
foolish topic
of course he deserves to be the captain PERIOD

eindhow
04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Deserves it.. NO DOUBT..

yesha_24
04-07-2010, 02:17 PM
thread closed :D

reamily
04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Chris Tiu does not deserve to captain Smartg Gilas

:cool::D:D

weward
04-07-2010, 03:02 PM
i was surprised to see that such question exists..:D

saints13
04-07-2010, 04:48 PM
When Chris Tiu was selected as the RP-5's team captain, I really had doubts since he is an unpopular choice for most of the hardcore basketball MALE fans and I am one of them (I have to emphasize the MALE part. hehe). But looking at his performance on Gilas' games, I think he is slowly getting my respect and I think most of the MALE fans out there. I am not really amazed with him in his UAAP days for I see him then as one of those "papogi" college players just like any other. But outside basketball, I am all praises to him as he is a good person.

my POV...as a basketball enthusiast, I don't see anything wrong with Chris Tiu being captain, he's respectable and with leadership skills...saka papogi ba si Chris Tiu? pogi na sya brad, hehe, ang papogi e yun mga panget na feeling pogi tulad ni __________ . hehe.

translation: Chris Tiu is not trying too hard with his looks, ________ is.

fadzki
04-07-2010, 06:10 PM
If his Teammates are following him as their Leader... Then he should be there Team Captain....

than11
04-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I can't believe it was actually asked..When Smart Gilas started(with the initial signings), who among those players deserved the role more than Chris?..

reminds me of "nobody, nobody but Tiu!"...:D

ogre
04-07-2010, 11:05 PM
If his Teammates are following him as their Leader... Then he should be there Team Captain....

+1

Basketball skill is not the absolute requirement for being a team leader but is a big consideration, not just in basketball but in every organization. There are different roles in every organization, there are leaders who are really good at leading, communicating and giving instructions not just on the court but inside the locker room as well, and there are also good followers - the ones who executes orders to the letter, who are really skillful in what they do.

And in Tiu's part, his skills are definitely not a liability to him being the team leader/captain as he has already proven that before.

AlYuson
04-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Definitely Chris Tiu is more deserving to be the team captain of phil. national basketball team but if you're going to ask if Tiu is also deserving as a tv host, the answer is a BIG NO! that is another story...

alien space bats
04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
well, what is the job of a team captain anyway? Asi taulava was team captain of the infamous powerade team but rarely was he used during their stint. the better question would be "does chris tiu deserve a starting 5 slot?", and to which i would answer. " in some games yeah, in some games no."

Aqua Light
04-08-2010, 08:02 AM
It's a big YES for me, Tiu deserves to be the Captain of SG he showed his leadership & he's well respected by his teamates

Bonifacio
04-08-2010, 08:07 AM

The team captain should be the one respected by his team mates and not by the fans. He should also be the spokesperson and who can effectively represent the team. I think there's no one else better in the team that can do these responsibilities than Chris Tiu.

TrueBluePinoy
04-08-2010, 08:43 AM
what's Smartg Gilas? I didn't know he was playing for that team. lol

Iron Monkey
04-08-2010, 10:41 AM
really no reason for him not to... even Alex Crisano was the team captain of red bull just this last all filipino cup :D

Kingofkings
04-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Yes. Chris Tiu deserves to be the team captain of Smart Gilas. The primary capability of any team captain should have is leadership among his fellow players and his ability to represent his team in any external activities. Another mandatory requisite is for one to be a good example of what the team stands for. Chris may not be the best basketball player on the team, but i believe he is the best man for the job.

yesha_24
04-08-2010, 03:07 PM
thread closed :D

Thread closed!
Thread closed!
Thread closed!

the answer to this question is so obvious that my 5 yr old kid would say YES.

kerouac82
04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Thread closed!
Thread closed!
Thread closed!

the answer to this question is so obvious that my 5 yr old kid would say YES.

This thread isn't locked yet. Magpost ka pa :D

durden_tyler
06-03-2010, 11:29 PM
i see a couple of (related) threads has been locked already. i'd assume because of how the OP titled his piece.

i also see that a few people (or some mods? :O) lacked sense of humor because of the immediate lock--- you could have just renamed the title? Either way, read on because think this is funny stuff (especially to those who did not get to see the content)

Excerpts from http://firequinito.com/archives/349-Deadspin-joins-the-Tiu-perman-bandwagon.html#comments

Ah crap. On the heels of the launch of Rafe Bartholomew’s book on Philippine basketball, one that would hopefully give the rest of the world a more nuanced look at our passion for the game – something beyond “Hey, those Filipino guys are really short, and they play a game for tall men?” and “They have a team called the Hotdogs?! The Tender Juicy Hotdogs?!” – comes this entry on Deadspin about our beloved Chris Tiu.

Apparently, someone* created a website called “Draft Chris Tiu,” which makes the case for teams like the Milwaukee Bucks and the Minnesota Timberwolves to take everyone’s favorite Smart Gilas team captain/Pinoy Records host/commercial model/Sangguniang Kabataan chairman at the upcoming NBA draft. Apart from making the case for Tiu as a player, the site provides comprehensive scans of Tiu’s print endorsements that can be described as mildly creepy. Also, this: “Talented, charming and backed by a number of corporate sponsors, like Beckham, Chris has millions of adoring fans not only on his team, but on the opposing teams as well.”

http://firequinito.com/uploads/basketball/iglesia-ni-chris-tiu.jpg
*image from FQ.com

This is the article link to deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/5553531/wont-some-nba-team-please-draft-this-short-slow-filipino-basketball-player

Won't Some NBA Team Please Draft This Short, Slow Filipino Basketball Player?

Won't Some NBA Team Please Draft This Short, Slow Filipino Basketball Player? That's Chris Tiu, a popular basketball player in the Philippines. He has lots of fans who think some NBA team should draft him in the second round. One caveat: "At 5'11" he won't beat you with speed." [Draft Chris Tiu]

Now before you judge whoever made the website (particularly the site, Draft Chris Tiu) take some time to read ALL of his entry and hopefully you recognize the humor in it.

Giant_Dagul
06-04-2010, 12:07 AM
yawn... zzzzzzzz.....

CoJ
06-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Some crazy idiot fanboy would attempt to (or assasinate who knows) assassinate Chris Tiu ala John Lennon..BANK ON IT!

c_d
10-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Monday, October 18, 2010
Tiu-pefied

I'm probably the worst kind of fan there is. Obsessed and always analyzing, I've become jaded to a degree. I'm rarely effusive in my praise, but my interview last week with Smart GIlas skipper Chris Tiu left me no choice but to be different. It's funny because I've known him since he was in second year high school, but his presence, humility and wisdom never fail to amaze.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uBqDMsciV1U/TLxJHYo6emI/AAAAAAAAAso/FKWm9tHDOdA/s320/IMG_0600.jpg

Finally able to talk to him after several tries, he graciously granted my request for an interview, inviting me over to Gilas practice. (Check out my fly on the wall article here (http://bit.ly/cXOKuQ)) While he was warming up and getting treatment for his sore hamstring and thighs, I take the opportunity to strike up a conversation/interview.

Plugging the Holes

On the subject of pros playing, Chris displays his intuitive and intelligent side. He admits pros are needed, despite GIlas playing together for over 11/2 years. "There are pros and cons," Tiu explains. "Whatever experience we’ve got over the last two years, you can’t compare to the experience the other pros have gotten. They’ve been playing for the past 5-7 years of their career so it helps to have an experienced player on the team." He is fully aware that, especially at this point in their development, they need some help. "It helps to have pros plug in the holes, missing links within the team. It would definitely help to have these guys, Asi (Taulava) Kelly (Williams) Sol (Mercado), most specially the big men positions coz we’re very limited with big men."

He's a realist, though, and he recognizes the difficulties PBA players have with their commitments to their mother teams. Besides, he thinks the Gilas amateurs are more than ready themselves. "I think the level of the guys on this team now, JV (Casio), Mac (Baracael), (Chris) Lutz, Marcio (Lassiter), when they make it to the pros, they’re not going to be considered rookies anymore. A lot will be expected of them, so in a sense they’ve reached that level already where they can be very competitive at the pro level; technically they’re pros as well." If given the choice to decide on the country's basketball program? It's obvious Tiu believes in the GIlas program. "I prefer you get some pros and retain the non pros, because for one being (amateur Gilas), we’ve traveled to so many countries playing against the best players and we’ve played as one team. We’ve gotten used to the system of coach (Rajko Toroman) so that’s an advantage."

No Doubting Douthit

Marcus Douthit's naturalization bid has hit a snag, but his future with the team is still secure. Just ask Chris. "Marcus is going to play a huge role in our team. He has proven that in the past tournaments, specially our last tournament in China (ABA Club Championships) where he was a Mythical Five member. He probably would’ve been MVP if we had won the championship (Gilas lost by one). Marcus has the experience as well, being drafted by the NBA. He played in Europe. He's played in China. He’s 30 and he’s been… he’s known the game longer than most of us have. He’s definitely going to provide us with a lot of offensive and defensive power, so yeah we’ll need him."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uBqDMsciV1U/TLxJpIGFyiI/AAAAAAAAAss/T9N3Q0jngPw/s320/IMG_0605.JPG

His love for Douthit is far from just colonial mentality. Ruing Filipinos' lack of size, Chris explains how FIBA play demands big, athletic players. "You really have to be at the ring. You can’t just box out and wait for the ball to come to you. It’s not like that anymore. You have to get the ball and you have to challenge the shots, block the fellow 7 footers of the other teams and offensively, you need to be able to finish strong on the other side, and it helps if you’re 6’11” plus you have athleticism like Marcus."

To Pro or Not to Pro

I've often wondered about this and no one seems to ask him seriously about it. I was glad Chris humored me. "I really haven’t decided. I would like to, if I didn’t have any other option, career-wise, I would definitely choose to play PBA, at least for a while, maybe 2 to 3 years." He turns pensive, revealing just some of the responsibilities that burden him, as he explains further. "Given my situation, my family background, I have a responsibility to fulfill, maybe to help out in the family business. If I’m going to get involved with the family business, it’s going to be really… I don’t want to get into it half-hearted. Anything that I do I just want to give everything and really focus."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uBqDMsciV1U/TLxKGPm0UNI/AAAAAAAAAsw/siv9z0aQg-E/s320/IMG_0571.JPG

All is not lost for his PBA turn though. Tiu himself has not closed the door on it. "It’s hard to say. Things could happen. Things could change. Like, I never thought I would be in the Smart Gilas program until I graduated from the Ateneo, and all of a sudden they came up with this program and they wanted me to be apart of it, so it’s really up to God and I leave it up to him."

There must be a billion articles and interviews about Chris by now. Unfortunately, people keep harping on his good looks or just label him a, "basketball star," without knowing what makes the guy truly among the greats. For me it's neither his looks nor his three point shooting. It's his being early for practice and leaving late to shoot extra baskets. It's his never escaping practice by complaining about a viable injury excuse. It's his preference to get his teammates involved over shooting the ball himself. It's his strong but quiet way of shouldering TV shows, interviews, criticisms, family responsibilities and Gilas Captain duties, while staying humble and friendly. It's his answer when I asked him about his plans. "Right now, I’ll just focus on the team, focus on getting gold in the asian games and qualify for the Olympics 2012 and we’ll see what happens."

It's his being a class act.

(Watch out for part two of my Chris Tiu interview, featuring the fun questions next time.)
http://fiftypesoseats.blogspot.com/2010/10/tiu-pefied.html

FBNYC
10-22-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm sure he's a nice guy and all and a class act but there are other players like that as well. To sum it up I don't see the team any better or any worse with him on the floor.

granadaddy
02-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I've got mad respect for Chris Tiu. To be honest, I like his game. He's some sort of a beefier, slower version of Olsen Racela.

I know that Tiu is a huge part of Gilas and he's actually the poster boy of the squad. Then again, there are probably around 20 players in the Philippines today who's better than this guy.

I know, I know, some people here would actually bring up all the intangibles that he brings to the game aside from his perimeter shooting. But seriously, is he the best shooting guard in the country today?

Here's my list of shooting guards better than Chris Tiu:

1. Jame Yap
2. Mark Caguioa
3. Dondon Hontiveros
4. Gabe Norwood
5. Sol Mercado
6. Peter June Simon
7. Ray Parks
8.Alex Cabagbnot
9.Larry Fonacier
10.Cyrus Baguio
11. LA Tenorio
12. Marc Cardona
13.Willie Miller
14.Ronald Tubid
15.Jason Castrp
16.JJ Helterbrand
17.Jimmy Alapag
18.Ronjay Buenafe
19.Jonas Villanueva
20.Ogie Menor

What do you think guys? On top of your head, can you name 20 players better than Tiu?

kerouac82
02-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I've got mad respect for Chris Tiu. To be honest, I like his game. He's some sort of a beefier, slower version of Olsen Racela.

I know that Tiu is a huge part of Gilas and he's actually the poster boy of the squad. Then again, there are probably around 20 players in the Philippines today who's better than this guy.

I know, I know, some people here would actually bring up all the intangibles that he brings to the game aside from his perimeter shooting. But seriously, is he the best shooting guard in the country today?

1. Jame Yap
2. Mark Caguioa
3. Dondon Hontiveros
4. Gabe Norwood
5. Sol Mercado
6. Peter June Simon
7. Ray Parks
8.Alex Cabagbnot
9.Larry Fonacier
10.Cyrus Baguio
11. LA Tenorio
12. Marc Cardona
13.Willie Miller
14.Ronald Tubid
15.Jason Castrp
16.JJ Helterbrand
17.Jimmy Alapag
18.Ronjay Buenafe
19.Jonas Villanueva
20.Ogie Menor

About half of your list is composed of point guards.

But yeah, carry on. :)

ariel_muhlach
02-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Who said Chris Tiu is the best shooting guard in the country today?

First time I heard about that .... but what most of us know is that the person who is the President of the SBP and owns SMART Communication the National Team Sponsor wants him in his team.

In other words, he is untouchable. And we have to note that he is officially the face of SMART GILAS.

angmamatayngdahilsa'yo
02-01-2011, 10:53 AM

1. Jame Yap
2. Mark Caguioa
3. Dondon Hontiveros
4. Gabe Norwood
5. Sol Mercado
6. Peter June Simon
7. Ray Parks
8.Alex Cabagbnot
9.Larry Fonacier
10.Cyrus Baguio
11. LA Tenorio
12. Marc Cardona
13.Willie Miller
14.Ronald Tubid
15.Jason Castrp
16.JJ Helterbrand
17.Jimmy Alapag
18.Ronjay Buenafe
19.Jonas Villanueva
20.Ogie Menor

it's like saying that shane battier didn't deserve his slot in the US 5 because there were better forwards in the nba. honestly, i don't like the way this thread have been formed. it is like firing at the back of a committed, patriotic soldier who fights for the flag and country notwithstanding his amputated leg which was blasted by an enemy mine. a not-so-good-but-committed tiu (if indeed he's not good) is better than a highly-talented-yet-unwilling fajardo.

granadaddy
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
About half of your list is composed of point guards.

But yeah, carry on. :)

Tiu is a combo guard. That means he's trapped in between positions so comparing him to other point guards shouldn't be an issue.

granadaddy
02-01-2011, 10:57 AM
it's like saying that shane battier didn't deserve his slot in the US 5 because there were better forwards in the nba. honestly, i don't like the way this thread have been formed. it is like firing at the back of a committed, patriotic soldier who fights for the flag and country notwithstanding his amputated leg which was blasted by an enemy mine. a not-so-good-but-committed tiu (if indeed he's not good) is better than a highly-talented-yet-unwilling fajardo.

Just answer the question, don't dodge it.

granadaddy
02-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Who said Chris Tiu is the best shooting guard in the country today?

First time I heard about that .... but what most of us know is that the person who is the President of the SBP and owns SMART Communication the National Team Sponsor wants him in his team.

In other words, he is untouchable. And we have to note that he is officially the face of SMART GILAS.

So you mean he's simply a poster boy? You better clarify that my nigga or 100 pro-Tiu fan boys would come knocking on your door. tee, hee

ctongco
02-01-2011, 11:11 AM
May I ask for the reason behind this thread? :)

kikomatsing
02-01-2011, 11:18 AM

1. Jame Yap
2. Mark Caguioa
3. Dondon Hontiveros
4. Gabe Norwood
5. Sol Mercado
6. Peter June Simon
7. Ray Parks
8.Alex Cabagbnot
9.Larry Fonacier
10.Cyrus Baguio
11. LA Tenorio
12. Marc Cardona
13.Willie Miller
14.Ronald Tubid
15.Jason Castrp
16.JJ Helterbrand
17.Jimmy Alapag
18.Ronjay Buenafe
19.Jonas Villanueva
20.Ogie Menor

What do you think guys? On top of your head, can you name 20 players better than Tiu?

50% true!
because 50% of your list is not the same position as to Tiu.
try to tweek the 50% more...

but still i would love to see Norwood/jared replacing chris tiu...

ariel_muhlach
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
So you mean he's simply a poster boy? You better clarify that my nigga or 100 pro-Tiu fan boys would come knocking on your door. tee, hee

I do not see anything wrong of being a poster boy .... actually its an honor.

He was the only player MVP asked to be included in the team he is paying for, so it is his right. Afterall nobody can argue that Chris is a model student-athlete. He might not be perfect but he works hard in what he is asked to do.

He is also the only player who could talk directly to Team Management and the Coaching Staff.

KevinDurant
02-01-2011, 11:48 AM
He shoots well though, especially in crucial stages.

nashill
02-01-2011, 12:59 PM
pba will only lend 5 of their players...

the only players that deserves to be on the final lineup are baracael, lasitter, casio, ramos, slaughter and tiu.
so with the situation right now, he should be in the final line up.

he should have been trained as a point guard though.....

neo
02-01-2011, 02:22 PM
pba will only lend 5 of their players...

the only players that deserves to be on the final lineup are baracael, lasitter, casio, ramos, slaughter and tiu.
so with the situation right now, he should be in the final line up.

he should have been trained as a point guard though.....

yes. he's too undersized as a shooting guard. he could shoot and score but that is often negated by the offense of the opposing shooting guard which could shoot over him. if we can have a relatively taller pg play beside him, that could moderate our defensive limitation in the backcourt.

regierr
02-01-2011, 11:15 PM
I think if Tiu is replaced there will be a lot more flexibility in terms of player rotation and player upgrades in Gilas. There'll be more room for player maneuvering. It seems the team is getting held back from further improving because he has to be accommodated. Other players must play a different position or share minutes with him, like what's happening to Lutz and Lassiter. These two are natural shooting guards but have to be trained as sf's.

Whatever advantage Tiu could bring to the team it will always be overshadowed by his physical limitations.

granadaddy
02-02-2011, 01:15 AM
I think if Tiu is replaced there will be a lot more flexibility in terms of player rotation and player upgrades in Gilas. There'll be more room for player maneuvering. It seems the team is getting held back from further improving because he has to be accommodated. Other players must play a different position or share minutes with him, like what's happening to Lutz and Lassiter. These two are natural shooting guards but have to be trained as sf's.

Whatever advantage Tiu could bring to the team it will always be overshadowed by his physical limitations.

Regierr with the goods:D

kikomatsing
02-02-2011, 03:27 AM
agree..
but in MVP's perspective...
why remove my "son" on the list...
this scenario is similar to Air21's Winnie Arboleda. because his wife is the daughter of the owner. that's why Winnie is untouchable!...

but 1 slot is crucial and important!..
for me SmartGilas is wasting that "1 SLOT"

Lebron23
02-02-2011, 04:07 AM
Give me 6'4" Gabe Norwood, and 6'3" Jared Dillinger over 5'10" Chris Tiu.

sickcurtain_16
02-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Can I also create a thread "20 other pointguards in the Philippines better than JV Casio", or how about "20 Foreigners that can be naturalized who is better than Douthit", or let's say "20 other coaches better than Toroman"?

I don't know why this thread should be created because I'm pretty sure, no one is telling Chris Tiu is the best two-guard in the country. In fairness to the guy, he's one of the more committed guy in our national team, if not the most. Props to Chris Tiu!

The_Big_Cat
02-02-2011, 09:18 AM
^Maybe the thread starter should rephrase it to "20 Reasons why I hate/envy Chris Tiu". nyahahahaha! :D :D

Motion to lock this thread, Mr. Sickcurtain_16. :)

nardy
02-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Give me 6'4" Gabe Norwood, and 6'3" Jared Dillinger over 5'10" Chris Tiu.

Problem is that both players are not included in the 8-player SBP wish list submitted to the PBA.

el scorcho
02-02-2011, 09:50 AM
agree..
but in MVP's perspective...
why remove my "son" on the list...
this scenario is similar to Air21's Winnie Arboleda. because his wife is the daughter of the owner. that's why Winnie is untouchable!...

but 1 slot is crucial and important!..
for me SmartGilas is wasting that "1 SLOT"

and THAT is the point of this thread..

el scorcho
02-02-2011, 09:52 AM
BUt you open a can of worms though...

same can be said with Casio..he's damn good, but we can also name players better than Casio..

or SF/PFs better than Baracael..

That Smart Gilas is a little subjective, eh?

azerothv1.1
02-02-2011, 11:05 AM

1. Jame Yap
2. Mark Caguioa
3. Dondon Hontiveros
4. Gabe Norwood
5. Sol Mercado
6. Peter June Simon
7. Ray Parks
8.Alex Cabagbnot
9.Larry Fonacier
10.Cyrus Baguio
11. LA Tenorio
12. Marc Cardona
13.Willie Miller
14.Ronald Tubid
15.Jason Castrp
16.JJ Helterbrand
17.Jimmy Alapag
18.Ronjay Buenafe
19.Jonas Villanueva
20.Ogie Menor

actually youre right, in terms of skill they are all better, i mean almost all of them are way better than tiu. but i wont trade jsut one of them to a guard who didn't practice for gilas for the longest time. i dont see the essence of this thread... this just makes the pba more greedier for me.. i

azerothv1.1
02-02-2011, 11:07 AM
even in other countries there are players better than those in their national team line up. :mad:

bognut
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Barroca is better than Chris Tiu!

Better looking! :o:D

kikomatsing
02-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Problem is that both players are not included in the 8-player SBP wish list submitted to the PBA.

that's the problem!...
and that i what SBP should fix!...
its a BIG HOLE they created!

sickcurtain_16
02-03-2011, 06:37 AM
that's the problem!...

is this the first time you heard about the Gilas program? Is this the first time you heard about our national team status?

if yes, I can understand your sentiments. but if not, then what fix are you talking about?

And in my observation, I can see that you're one of those people here who are very good in "hole-finding".

kikomatsing
02-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nardy View Post
Originally Posted by kikomatsing
that's the problem!...

the problem im talkin about is the 2guys i mentioned (norwood/dillinger) is not part of the 8player list sir nardy is telling..

so to fix that problem for me is to include them in favor of TIU..

can i ask your honest opinion sir....
DO YOU THINK TIU IS BETTER (skill, talent, heft, size, etc) THAN NORWOOD OR DILLINGER?
:confused:

i hope this clears up your confusion!

is this the first time you heard about the Gilas program? Is this the first time you heard about our national team status?

if yes, I can understand your sentiments. but if not, then what fix are you talking about?

And in my observation, I can see that you're one of those people here who are very good in "hole-finding".

Alex07
02-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:
that's the problem!...

the problem im talkin about is the 2guys i mentioned (norwood/dillinger) is not part of the 8player list sir nardy is telling..

DO YOU THINK TIU IS BETTER (skill, talent, heft, size, etc) THAN NORWOOD OR DILLINGER?

what can you do other than suggest a player? does our suggestions count?:p

b3lowzro
02-03-2011, 02:44 PM

he'll volunteer to play for the team with the size of his :p

TOTOY-MOLAH
02-04-2011, 02:48 AM
How about Salvacion or Fonacier joining GILAS?
They are the best 3 point shooters(better than Tiu) at the moment.:eek:

yogaflame
02-04-2011, 02:52 AM
There are a lot of players in interbarangay who is better than him

kerouac82
02-04-2011, 03:05 AM
There are a lot of players in interbarangay who is better than him

Could you give us names, please?

Bonifacio
02-04-2011, 03:08 AM
50% true!
because 50% of your list is not the same position as to Tiu.
try to tweek the 50% more...

but still i would love to see Norwood/jared replacing chris tiu...

I doubt if Norwood and Jared can be as effective as Tiu in the Gilas system....meaning..that they will be trusted as much by Toroman...that they can help other players in fitting to the system (like the help that Tiu did for Japeth)....I thin Tiu is more of a team player that fits very well in the Toroman system.....if Toroman is not the coach, then maybe other players would be a better replacement.

In addition, the other Gilas players trust him a lot and that's why he is team captain....in addition, Asi, himself said that Tiu talks really mature and seems older than him

TOTOY-MOLAH
02-04-2011, 03:15 AM

Mr. Yog A. Flame..... LoL...:mad:

He was the MVP of the recent tournament in the Brgy. Ampatuan Inter-Purok Baketball.

sickcurtain_16
02-04-2011, 03:44 AM
Quote:
that's the problem!...

ok ok! Im confused!:D

Bonifacio
02-04-2011, 04:01 AM
He shoots well though, especially in crucial stages.

Tiu is more like a John Stockton....not very athletc but very effective....he knows how to position and has very good basketball IQ. For his size, he gets rebounds by positioning very well and making the necessary gulang.....it's not very obvious when you watch him...not flashy but very effective.

Alex07
02-04-2011, 06:50 AM
It's like asking how the hell did Steve Kerr made it through the NBA.There are a lot of more athletic guys out there that could fill his slot.But if you were his coach you probably see his work ethics,probably he comes earlier than the other players,does what the coaches tell him and shoots around 500 three point buckets every practice.Things that the other athletic guys can't and won't do.He's not the fastest or the strongest out there but he has better percentage out there than anybody.But the guy has Championship rings and a Fiba-World gold medal to boot.

In the case of Chris Tiu,You'd probably say that Gabe Norwood is more built like a basketball player.But Gabe can't shoot the treys specially in the dying seconds.And all the names you mentioned there didn't have the balls to quit their mother team to join the national team.Chris could have simply joined the PBA draft,sit on the bench and get payed.

badsource
02-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Why post here???? I think you are on a wrong planet:eek:

....but the forumer who created this thread is also from another planet, i mean 20 players that is better than cris tiu, why only 20?......why not 200 or even 2,000 or 20,000... I'm sure thats the number of players that is better than tiu maybe even more............. can i name them all?..........what you think I don't have any better things to do than waste my time on answering this foolish/absurd question?........... but wait,i guess jut by posting on this thread you can already consider me one of those forumers who got nothing else better to do with their time.:(

kikomatsing
02-04-2011, 01:17 PM

come on ALEX...
i post based on the thread topic....
is the topic ses... "what can you do other than suggest a player"?
were talkin about comparing which players (20 of them) played better than TIU.

to all,
sorry if i agree with the poster above.. i think TIU have a lot of "hakot" here maybe a relative or a friend..
so i understand your situation..off course "to defend"!
just to add were talkin about skills here & talent.. so dont deny the facts!
many forumers here bring along "bit-bit" to have their favorite player famous!.
dont wori i understand!
:)

kikomatsing
02-04-2011, 01:18 PM
he'll volunteer to play for the team with the size of his :p

hehehehe..i agree to your post mr blowmezero este b3lowzro pala.
cheers!:)

Alex07
02-05-2011, 01:32 AM
come on ALEX...
i post based on the thread topic....
is the topic ses... "what can you do other than suggest a player"?
were talkin about comparing which players (20 of them) played better than TIU.

to all,
sorry if i agree with the poster above.. i think TIU have a lot of "hakot" here maybe a relative or a friend..
so i understand your situation..off course "to defend"!
just to add were talkin about skills here & talent.. so dont deny the facts!
many forumers here bring along "bit-bit" to have their favorite player famous!.
dont wori i understand!
:)

there are above 20 guys out there who are better one on one player than Chris Tiu..but then again..that's why Philippines is at the bottom of the Fiba-Asia rankings..because of one on one plays..ask Yeng Guiao about it.

Stallions 87
02-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Chris Tiu brings to the hardcourt what Albert Martinez exactly offer in directorial craft.... and MVP goes gaga everytime directors name mentioned.... love is in the air every sight and every sound:p

kikomatsing
02-05-2011, 02:05 AM
there are above 20 guys out there who are better one on one player than Chris Tiu..but then again..that's why Philippines is at the bottom of the Fiba-Asia rankings..because of one on one plays..ask Yeng Guiao about it.

i agree partially...but what facts tell is that 1-on-1 is also a great weapon especially when you have no one open to pass to and time is expiring.
look at what TIU did on the last tournament.. he chocked right? because his ability is not yet on that prime...on those situations 1-on-1 plays are vital!

ariel_muhlach
02-05-2011, 03:43 AM
i agree partially...but what facts tell is that 1-on-1 is also a great weapon especially when you have no one open to pass to and time is expiring.
look at what TIU did on the last tournament.. he chocked right? because his ability is not yet on that prime...on those situations 1-on-1 plays are vital!

I do agree that we cannot do away some one-on-one plays as it could be effective like what Mark Caguiao did in the 2007 Jones Cup, the problem is it could be potent if the other team is not familiar with the player but once he is thoroughly scouted and his weaknesses are detected, then he could easily be shutted-down.

I like the way Ron Jacobs incorporated the one-on-one abilities of Samboy Lim and Allan Caidic into their team plays, for me it is an art, as the other players done their part by moving in continuos motion in which all of the sudden you'll see them set picks and screens in order to free the two wingmen from their defenders.

b3lowzro
02-05-2011, 03:51 AM
hehehehe..i agree to your post mr blowmezero este b3lowzro pala.
cheers!:)

indeed,
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OX6n6Pu1LFY/Rl1XcxcaILI/AAAAAAAAAGU/whCMqmWnaX8/s400/dick-head-tshirt.jpg

cheers

Alex07
02-05-2011, 04:20 AM

like the past national teams of the PBA they all choked...because they rely heavily on 1 on 1 offense and running like crazy.Chot lack the set plays relying mostly on Caguioa,Hontiveros and Alapag which didn't work for the taller teams.The running game didn't work either because the taller Chinese,Jordanians and Koreans can keep up with our "fast paced" game.Guiao didn't learn from Chot trying to outrun the already fast opponents his "bara bara" set plays didn't work either.So what's the use of super dribol and one on one plays...we'll it's going to work only in the PBA.

kikomatsing
02-05-2011, 04:40 AM
hmmmmm...
ok..ok...

but for me NORWOOD or DILLINGER should be the choice over TIU!..
even CABAGNOT is so better than him! so much better!
SG is wasting that 1 slot!....
unless anyone else dis-agree!...talentwise-skillwise!
lets talk facts here!

13wowowee
02-05-2011, 05:21 AM
hmmmmm...
ok..ok...

but for me NORWOOD or DILLINGER should be the choice over TIU!..
even CABAGNOT is so better than him! so much better!
SG is wasting that 1 slot!....
unless anyone else dis-agree!...talentwise-skillwise!
lets talk facts here!

then tell norwood, dillinger and cabagnot to consistently hit a wide open perimeter shot..:D:D:D

paolylo
02-05-2011, 06:21 AM
let me try. i could even name at least 1 guard per PBA team (except Barako for obvious reasons).

Merlaco - Cardona, Ross
RoS - Mercado, Norwood
Powerade - David, Lanete
TnT - Alapag, Castro, Reyes
Alaska - Baguio, Tenorio
Ginebra - Miller, Caguioa
B-Meg - James Yap, Roger Yap, Simon, Villanueva
SMB - Cabagnot, Hontiveros
Air 21 - Buenafe

that wasn't so hard. :D i think there are even more than 20 since i haven't included Tubid, Cortez, Dillinger, or Helterbrand. even within Gilas, i'd take Casio over Tiu. but as great as all these players are individually, i'd still be confident of our chances if Tiu was on the floor and our NT was playing a Middle Eastern, East Asian, or ex-Soviet powerhouse.

our country is loaded with guards who are either good in different things or literally do-it-all. Tiu is part of the former (the latter, there are only 3 or 4 of them. take your pick) and those dickheads who have wished for another guard might as well have wished Toroman should have had a pool of all PBA players from the start instead of all this long-term crap. why the fuck is Baracael guarding a 6'9 guy every time? unless the only local basketball they know is watching from a tricycle stand TV, they ought to know that's not possible and we're stuck with Smart Gilas and whoever the hell the PBA lends. all this Tiu-hating is just because he's a damn kolehiyala-magnet and it's not his fault.

i can live with watching Tiu handling the ball and our country's pride is at stake, if it were Jai Reyes... tangina, ibang usapan na 'yan.

nowitzki_21
02-05-2011, 10:20 AM
let me try. i could even name at least 1 guard per PBA team (except Barako for obvious reasons).

Merlaco - Cardona, Ross
RoS - Mercado, Norwood
Powerade - David, Lanete
TnT - Alapag, Castro, Reyes
Alaska - Baguio, Tenorio
Ginebra - Miller, Caguioa
B-Meg - James Yap, Roger Yap, Simon, Villanueva
SMB - Cabagnot, Hontiveros
Air 21 - Buenafe

that wasn't so hard. :D i think there are even more than 20 since i haven't included Tubid, Cortez, Dillinger, or Helterbrand. even within Gilas, i'd take Casio over Tiu. but as great as all these players are individually, i'd still be confident of our chances if Tiu was on the floor and our NT was playing a Middle Eastern, East Asian, or ex-Soviet powerhouse.

our country is loaded with guards who are either good in different things or literally do-it-all. Tiu is part of the former (the latter, there are only 3 or 4 of them. take your pick) and those dickheads who have wished for another guard might as well have wished Toroman should have had a pool of all PBA players from the start instead of all this long-term crap. why the fuck is Baracael guarding a 6'9 guy every time? unless the only local basketball they know is watching from a tricycle stand TV, they ought to know that's not possible and we're stuck with Smart Gilas and whoever the hell the PBA lends. all this Tiu-hating is just because he's a damn kolehiyala-magnet and it's not his fault.

i can live with watching Tiu handling the ball and our country's pride is at stake, if it were Jai Reyes... tangina, ibang usapan na 'yan.

i'm not a big chris tiu fan but i agree with you..if you're going to replace chris might as well replace all of the gilas players(except Douthit) by PBA players

reamily
02-05-2011, 12:14 PM
There are many players who might be better than most gilas players but the problem is who s the more fit and who stay in the team for a while

yogaflame
02-05-2011, 11:55 PM

In Proj. 8 there are a lot of players who are much better than him. In Novaliches there are lot of street baller who are much better than him.

kerouac82
02-06-2011, 08:44 AM
In Proj. 8 there are a lot of players who are much better than him. In Novaliches there are lot of street baller who are much better than him.

Don't tell me about Novaliches, Pef. I grew up in the area.

Honestly, are you in favor of sticking a Jason Palijo or an Aldrin San Pedro into the lineup in place of Tiu? How about Sean Orca? Aries Parinas? Ongkee Lorica? Gary Cleofas? :D

Hell, I could claim that my older brother, who was a Caloocan North and Milo BEST legend in his time, could have made the Ateneo college team in the late 90s. But Tiu has better basketball IQ and defensive skills than all the players I mentioned, plus he has better size and more exposure to international play.

Again, could you give us names? Maybe give us a breakdown of their individual skills and weaknesses as seen in the international level? :D

budz17
02-06-2011, 10:08 AM
agree, there are a lot of players better than tiu, skill wise, size wise, you name it.

still there is such a thing as tapang, or determination. you can see it when he plays. he's playing against guys bigger and faster than him but you don't see him giving up.

outgunned but not outfought. you can be sure when he's playing, he will give it all, he will not give up.

somebody mentioned he's like stockton, and I agree.
he's on tough son of $%#!&

kikomatsing
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM
then tell norwood, dillinger and cabagnot to consistently hit a wide open perimeter shot..:D:D:D

i did..and they play in the PBA!...
also tell your kid/relative/brother/fan (TIU) to play ball with more "BALLS"

saints13
02-07-2011, 05:24 AM
what a thread :)

anyways..no matter how many players are better than chris tiu, chris tiu will always and still be chris tiu...

sickcurtain_16
02-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Do i smell envy/jealousy here? Nah, it actually stinks. :D

b3lowzro
02-07-2011, 08:02 AM
back in his college days, there could be a few people who are a notch higher than him in the UAAP, but seeing him in Gilas lately, I can see he did improve. Chris' knowledge of the international game (well in the asian and middle east circuit) could be his "alas" against the PBA players and other players in amateur leagues.

13wowowee
02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
i did..and they play in the PBA!...
also tell your kid/relative/brother/fan (TIU) to play ball with more "BALLS"

wahahaha.. your pba idols cant even make an impact in international games.. and thats for sure..

kikomatsing
02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
another TIU relative..:)
bring them in guys!..
welcome po sa IBN!

GilG
02-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Tiu is more like a John Stockton....not very athletc but very effective....he knows how to position and has very good basketball IQ. For his size, he gets rebounds by positioning very well and making the necessary gulang.....it's not very obvious when you watch him...not flashy but very effective.

You're insulting Stockton by comparing him to Chris Tiu. Tiu's biggest weapon is his basketball IQ and without a doubt, he's smarter than probably 90 percent of shooting guards in the PBA right now.

grunge_act
02-15-2011, 06:36 AM
There are atleast 20 players better than Chris Tiu alright, but most of them have contracts which refrains them from playing for Gilas. Also, some of them also declined to play for the flag...

GilG
02-16-2011, 12:02 PM
There are atleast 20 players better than Chris Tiu alright, but most of them have contracts which refrains them from playing for Gilas. Also, some of them also declined to play for the flag...

too bad some second-rate talent is representing our country. Whatever happened to Philippine basketball:D

Alex07
02-16-2011, 01:54 PM
too bad some second-rate talent is representing our country. Whatever happened to Philippine basketball:D

too bad...but 2nd rate talent is the only thing available for a 3rd world country.Even the PBA can't offer that much.

SinVerGuenza
03-20-2011, 04:26 AM
I guess some people are eating a lot of crow these days with a helping of humble pie on the side. Yes, Tiu isn't the biggest and most athletic player out there, but he hustles his butt off even for the smallest of intangible contributions. I'd rather have that than some fancy-pants athlete who's heart is not really in it.

BTW, Norwood for Tiu? Really? :p

dxjayrock2008
03-20-2011, 04:31 AM
I guess some people are eating a lot of crow these days with a helping of humble pie on the side. Yes, Tiu isn't the biggest and most athletic player out there, but he hustles his butt off even for the smallest of intangible contributions. I'd rather have that than some fancy-pants athlete who's heart is not really in it.

BTW, Norwood for Tiu? Really? :p

Norwood has limited offensive weapons. Chris Tiu is a better shooter and passer than him.

baDWeeD
04-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Cris Tiu is a pressure player boy. He thrives during crunch time but I like Jayvee Casio more..

ariel_muhlach
04-06-2011, 12:42 AM
another TIU relative..:)
bring them in guys!..
welcome po sa IBN!

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/154917_10150117206827049_515047048_7376869_1950209 _n.jpg

Alex07
04-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Norwood has limited offensive weapons. Chris Tiu is a better shooter and passer than him.

Norwood's shooting is improving but still he makes silly mistakes and decisions.While Chris Tiu might have an off night but he wouldn't make much turnovers.

jamalsampson
04-06-2011, 01:55 AM
This is with regards to SMART GILAS:

If its a choice between Gabe Norwood and Tiu I'll pick Tiu

If its a choice between Sol Mercado and Tiu I'll pick Tiu

If its a choice between Wynne Arboleda and Tiu I'll pick Tiu

If its a choice between Jared Dilinger and Tiu I'll pick Tiu

If its a choice between Arwind Santos and Tiu I'll pick Tiu

If its a choice between Mac Cardona and Tiu I'll pick Tiu

If its a choice between Cyrus Baguio and Tiu I'll pick Tiu

If its a choice between Ryan Arana and Tiu I'll pick Tiu

If its a choice between Joseph Yeo and Tiu I'll pick Tiu

If its a choice between a Ginebra guard and Tiu I'll pick Tiu as they would not fit Coach's system.

If its a choice between Jason Castro and Tiu its 50-50 for me and would depend on the need of the team.

If its a choice between LA Tenorio and Tiu its 50-50 for me and would depend on the need of the team.

If its a choice between Jimmy Alapag and Tiu its 50-50 for me and would depend on the need of the team.

If its a choice between Peter June Simon and Tiu I might pick Simon but his defense is not as good.

If its a choice between James Yap and Tiu I might pick James but his defense is not as good.

If its a choice between Dondon Hontiveros and Tiu I might pick Dondon but his age nmight be a factor.

If its a choice between Ryan Reyes and Tiu I'll pick Ryan

everything actually depends on the situation.

ARISTOTLE
04-06-2011, 02:12 AM
This is with regards to SMART GILAS:

If its a choice between James Yap and Tiu I might pick James but his defense is not as good.

If its a choice between Dondon Hontiveros and Tiu I might pick Dondon but his defense is not as good.

If its a choice between Ryan Reyes and Tiu I'll pick Ryan

everything actually depends on the situation.

I disagree. Dondon is a better defensive option than Tiu, offensive as well.
I'd pick Dondon over Tiu on that basis.

Mikeeesuave
04-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Cyrus' style of play is best suited for international play...so I pick him over Tiu...but I agree on almost what you said:)

silverwing
04-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Cyrus' style of play is best suited for international play...so I pick him over Tiu...but I agree on almost what you said:)

I agree and let me add up that Cyrus is a better slasher.

for DONDON, I guess he is better defensively and offensively, age factor?(not not for 2-3 years).

I pick Jared Dillinger for Tiu, I like his performance during his stint in the NT team.

PacificRims
09-28-2011, 10:03 AM
The face of the Smart Gilas team. This is like a parody thread of the Japeth Aguilar one.

Pugad-Pagod
09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
He should've gone pro. He would've been more useful and successful there. His height will always limit his effectivity in the big international tourneys. I love his hustle and his grit, but he struggled mightily when bigger opponents imposed their size on him (not just him, but the entire team). Height is might in basketball.

Maybe he should train intensively as a pure point instead of a 2 guard. But outside of that, Tiu will almost always be a liability. Sometimes, heart and passion are just not enough.

adrian12695
09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
A reason why Chris Tiu didnt join the PBA is he really doesnt need money. :D He's an accomplished businessman (and host) with roots from his family, but really, his love, passion and heart for the game is unparalleled. If Japeth had that attitude, iq and MINDSET, then he would be unstoppable. But as they say, some people are just really born basketball players, Chris Tiu's physical built (AND LOOKS lol :p) for me, is not fit for the sport, but his attitude and leadership should serve as an example for those players who were gifted to really play basketball.

I guess, his game is really just for the college level, where varsities and heartthrobs are talk of the town, but not on international level neither for the very physical PBA, sayang kapogian niya gabi-gabi nababangga. With his IQ, he'd make a good basketball coach, and his Gilas/ international stint together with Toroman's lessons would make him a hell of a coach. (sana pati si Charles)

Big Ticket
09-28-2011, 11:41 AM
MVP wants a tall PG (around 6'2 or 6'3) for our next national team...but is he ok with having a 5'11 player as our shooting guard?

GoYankees
09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Maybe he's being groomed to be the future coach of Gilas.

PacificRims
09-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Only if other players have the Basketball IQ and Leadership skills of Chris Tiu, they could have progressed not only as better basketball players but individuals as well.

2log
09-28-2011, 01:15 PM
So many people criticize Chris Tiu. I am a Lasallian but I've become a fan. He rises above the challenge and has proven critics wrong numerous times. A good role model for the height-challenged basketball crazy Pinoys.

PacificRims
09-28-2011, 01:24 PM
So many people criticize Chris Tiu. I am a Lasallian but I've become a fan. He rises above the challenge and has proven critics wrong numerous times. A good role model for the height-challenged basketball crazy Pinoys.

If only he was 4 inches taller. He has the right mindset and character, but his physical limitations failed him (except for his looks). I admire Chris Tiu because of his enthusiasm and composure despite of his lack of height and built. And by the way I'm a LaSallian myself (109).

Nerraw0384
09-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Papa, your happylemon is delicious.:D

He was chubby in HS and a deadly shooter who just waits for a pass, but now he improved by leaps and bounds. If only was 5 inches taller he could be our own version of Teodesic. :)

Thanks for playing for flag and country! Prove them that height is not really a Major Major might in Basketball. ;)

FilipinoDad
09-28-2011, 11:55 PM
He's the Poster Boy that we need for Gilas. Someone to show other promising young 'uns that there's a future in committing full-time/your life to the NT.

durden_tyler
09-29-2011, 12:01 AM
MVP wants a tall PG (around 6'2 or 6'3) for our next national team...but is he ok with having a 5'11 player as our shooting guard?

Yeah, something's amiss.

Anyway, should have declared for the pros. It's not about the money its about the passion for the game-- he could easily sign the minimum and show 'em "it's not about the money"

According to a few sources, Tiu remained with Gilas because he's quite fearful that his slot in the NT will not be assured if he does not remain. Which is of course a valid fear since we know that slot is loaded in the Philippines.

But i respect his decision, he's still the vocal leader of the squad. Underrated but tough as nails; not very athletic but makes up for it with a high basketball IQ. He's a pretty serviceable player but for the sake of Philippine basketball, we hope a) he shifts to PG fulltime or b) he becomes an off the bench player full time so we won't be abused much in the back court.

reamily
09-29-2011, 01:13 AM
over achieve himself as a basketball player..

should have gone pro later in his career if he really wants to help Philippine basketball;)

but still the Japeth Aguilar saga is the best saga in Philippine basketball:eek::D

paulezra
09-29-2011, 02:34 AM
ive watched tiu since his xavier days, He has gone a long way since high school.However, I am also very critical of him as a national player in the Fiba level. The guy is in the national team mainly because of his MVP connection. In fairness, he is an overachiever despite his lack of talent. But still there are more players out there who deserve that spot. On a level where talent is paramount, Tiu could take a different role .with his basketball experience and multi-tasking skill...he could be a semi playing assistant coach...lead the SBP and eventually replace Barrios. Masyadong matalino si Chris para mag basketball lang. Kulang naman din talento niya para maging national player lang.

kerouac82
09-29-2011, 02:36 AM
I wonder if the guy will own a PBA franchise someday. He has the cash anyway.

Which brings me to the question: Which of the Tiu companies will get a PBA franchise? My vote goes to the Happy Lemons.

durden_tyler
09-29-2011, 02:43 AM
I wonder if the guy will own a PBA franchise someday. He has the cash anyway.

Which brings me to the question: Which of the Tiu companies will get a PBA franchise? My vote goes to the Happy Lemons.

i think he'd rather invest on the NT (a la MVP) rather than get a PBA franchise.

el scorcho
09-29-2011, 06:38 AM
Got nothing against him..all heart and committed to the NT, which no one else could do..

Just that Toroman asking him to guard Dagles or Wright is suicide..there are other guards who are more physically equipped to do this.

That made him look bad. Kinda highlighted his shortcomings..was that the purpose of Rajko Toreroman?

His brickfest didn't help much too.

sharky
09-29-2011, 07:45 AM
i think it's safe to say now that i am one of Chris Tiu's worst critic here. :p:p:p
but to cut him some slack he actually did good at the FIBA- Asia tournament where it mattered. but some of his flops are really out there. just hope that he would just focus on business,showbiz and politics rather than National Basketball Team.

nba2kfanatic
09-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Papa, your happylemon is delicious.:D

He was chubby in HS and a deadly shooter who just waits for a pass, but now he improved by leaps and bounds. If only was 5 inches taller he could be our own version of Teodesic. :)

Thanks for playing for flag and country! Prove them that height is not really a Major Major might in Basketball. ;)

quick! tell chris to try that height enhancement drug from home tv shopping

bukag.2011
09-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Chris Tiu is lik every pinoy.
not so much with the talent.
but pure heart.
being "in" the team, does not need you to be the very best, but being "willing to sacrifice" matters most.
why do you think kobe and jordan just played one international tournament if they were the very best of their time? because for them, others can do it. so they do not need to.

tiu? he stayed. because almost all gilas left, he must stay. for he believes, somebody needs to do it. somebody has to stay. keep on believing.

unlike every filipino, Tiu has the attitude of not backing down even if he is not the best. and unlike every filipino, HE HONORS THE DREAM.

seeing the pilipinas in the olympics will not happen in 3yrs. but one has to continue going on.

he has the looks, the money, the talent. he has "walls" to cling to if basketball is to be scratched. but he stayed.

THAT WHAT MAKES HIM A TRUE-BLOODED PINOY.

you can say that man is better, his soft ec but why nobody bothers to get his spot? cos he is not gonna give it to you just like that.

Roseblade13
09-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Honestly in our wins Chris Tiu's gulang is key he has a lot of intagibles that even thou he does not score he gives to the team, rebounding perimeter D, when we are lucky 3 point shooting.

I think in the next Gilas team we need a big guard that could complement him let us say a norwood or a Ryan Reyes, that way his height would not much be of a prob

Servinio
03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
http://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/milo_kcp.jpg?w=300&h=225 (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/the-milo-morning-habit/)

BREAKFAST IS the most important meal of the day as it provides the fuel of the rest day. With this in mind, MILO has chosen three young and upcoming basketball players to help promote its latest advocacy. READ MORE (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/the-milo-morning-habit/).

durden_tyler
03-09-2013, 03:40 AM
http://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/milo_kcp.jpg?w=300&h=225 (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/the-milo-morning-habit/)

Weird. All green. Doesn't quite fit.

Gurami
03-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Weird. All green. Doesn't quite fit.

They should include Chris in the Gilas 3. He has so many experience in the international games. Very good defender and shooter as well.

durden_tyler
03-09-2013, 09:43 PM
They should include Chris in the Gilas 3. He has so many experience in the international games. Very good defender and shooter as well.

But Chot doesn't like him. Probably because he's too slow and unathletic for the dribble drive.

It's not like we lack options at the SG/PG spots too.

rhk111
11-03-2018, 01:50 AM
Buzzing around Social Media. If so, then he will have a fairly short PBA career, only six seasons, but he is already 33 years old. And his family is well enough that he doesn't really need the PBA that much ...

Will Rain or Shine vs NLEX be the Farewell Game for Chris Tiu?

by GERRY RAMOS
12 HOURS AGO

WILL it be the end of the road for Chris Tiu when Rain or Shine plays its final game of the season on Saturday in the PBA Governors Cup?

All signs point to Tiu hanging up his sneakers when the Elasto Painters, fittingly enough, battle former coach Yeng Guiao and NLEX in the curtain raiser of a post-Halloween doubleheader at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

With a 2-8 record, the Elasto Painters are already out of the running for a place in the quarterfinals of the season-ending conference.

Tiu, who won a championship with RoS in the 2016 Commissioner's Cup and was part of the team's four other finals stint, had hinted in the past about walking away from the game he loves most by the time Rain or Shine ends its campaign in the league’s 43rd season.

The former Ateneo star, who has played his entire six-year pro career for Rain or Shine since being picked by the franchise in the first round of the 2012 rookie draft (7th overall), has a contract that expires at the end of the season and he hasn’t sat down with team management for a possible renewal.

Co-team owner Raymund Yu said the 33-year-old Tiu, also a well-known host and TV personality, has not talked about his plans yet, although he has long told management about possible retirement as early as the season-opening Philippine Cup.

“I think so,” Yu replied when asked if the game with the Road Warriors will be Tiu’s last with the franchise and in the league.

“Tagal ng nakaplano, e,” he added.

To read the rest of the article, go to:
https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/will-rain-or-shine-vs-nlex-be-the-farewell-game-for-chris-tiu-a793-20181102

k3ttch
11-04-2018, 04:19 AM
Chris Tiu has a brilliant basketball mind trapped in a 5’11”, slow, and unathletic body. The next phase in his basketball carreer should be coaching, where I think he’ll find more success than he ever did as a player.

reamily
11-04-2018, 05:02 AM
Chris Tiu has a brilliant basketball mind trapped in a 5’11”, slow, and unathletic body. The next phase in his basketball carreer should be coaching, where I think he’ll find more success than he ever did as a player.

lolmighty sports isnt as rich as before and coaching imo is as if nit more time consuming than a player he needs to salvage or take care a struggling bank and a small hotel business(compare to the other big hotels in the country)

politics is the next step being allied with the binays.. they need fresh allies