Fiba World Championships of Basketball:
Day Two: USA vs. China
Start: August 20, 12:30 local time

jaja
08-19-2006, 09:18 PM
no guess stuart?

Phantim3dx
08-20-2006, 01:15 AM
here's my take IF THE US DOESNT PLAY AROUND in the last quarter like what they did with PR in the 4th quarter which let them blow away a 20 pt lead. i was pissed about that

anyways

US takes it by 27

jaja
08-20-2006, 01:19 AM
agreed.

i dont know why they slacked off, but i cant see them doing that against a better opponent

Phantim3dx
08-20-2006, 01:21 AM
i hope coach k and the rest oft he coahcing staff discusses that with the players

J-Mart
08-20-2006, 01:29 AM
here's my take IF THE US DOESNT PLAY AROUND in the last quarter like what they did with PR in the 4th quarter which let them blow away a 20 pt lead. i was pissed about that

anyways

US takes it by 27

did you noticed that Puerto Rico played that 4th quarter with the 7-12 man rotation? :rolleyes:

and PR won that quarter? with freaking Narvaez, Reyes, Lee, Dalmau, Hatton, and Rivera on the court... I tought that we were going to get blown out by 30 when I saw the lineup :rolleyes:

L8DBACK
08-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Do they actual need to blow away the competition just to win?:confused: Maybe Coach K was experimenting with his deep bench whenever he can to see how they do other than his main players. Trying to find the right mix/combination or chemistry.:)

J-Mart
08-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Hinrich, Joe Johson, Melo Anthony, Elton Brand, Dwight Howard:rolleyes:
thats your team...

Lebron will be useful too
Wade sucks
Chris Paul is awesome man :D

Phantim3dx
08-20-2006, 01:47 AM
did you noticed that Puerto Rico played that 4th quarter with the 7-12 man rotation? :rolleyes:

and PR won that quarter? with freaking Narvaez, Reyes, Lee, Dalmau, Hatton, and Rivera on the court... I tought that we were going to get blown out by 30 when I saw the lineup :rolleyes:

i couldnt see a blow out by the US in this match especially once they started crusuing they became "fat cats" on the court when they took that 20 pt lead and your team was still hungry.. and i just give credit they were down and probably knew they were going to lose but they held on and fought while the ship was sinking. so i definitely have to give you credit on PR.

The US cant afford to cruise anymore, i got ticked off in the motel i stayed in and kicked my soccerball

Phantim3dx
08-20-2006, 01:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=USA-Game1&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

anyways watcht he video about yao and china vs the US forecast.

although yao is not healthy man in those highlight clips he looks mean and aggressive. if the rockets within the next 3 seasons does not make it to the finals with a full healthy squad and additional of battier ill be shocked cuz on paper they look good

mpluby
08-20-2006, 01:51 AM
I think USA will handle China more easily than Puerto Rico. China has traditionally weak guard play and I think teams with good guard play are the ones most threatening to the U.S. Carlos Arroyo is not exactly an all-star, but at times last night, he was lighting us up. China's size is imposing, but with Yao not at 100% yet, I think USA takes this one in a walk off.

Phantim3dx
08-20-2006, 01:55 AM
dude i jsut passed by your state.had to drive from NY to Oklahoma. i wanted to stop bya nd play some ball somewhere in ohio though.. btw the way compliments tot he state of Ohio..this is the frist time i have seen beautiful girls in that state. the 9 ouit of the 10+ times ive been in your state, the girls were either obese and or had sometype of horse teeth. no offense or anything

bobo81
08-20-2006, 04:15 AM
I think the PR game was a wake up call, so I dont think China will get a slacking off US team today.

stuart
08-20-2006, 04:39 AM
And i don't think the US was slacking off at all, I think they have to play hard almost every game to win. Coach K wouldn't allow slacking. The US, from top to bottom is the most talented team, but they have a lot to make up in terms of chemistry and experience.

With that said, I think they defeat China by ~25 points.

Stuart

adebisi
08-20-2006, 09:37 AM
I think the PR game was a wake up call, so I dont think China will get a slacking off US team today.
I think wake up call was last WC and OG :D

MyKRo
08-20-2006, 11:11 AM
USA by 19 points - Middle of 2nd quarter.

China has bad defense.

elaj
08-20-2006, 11:19 AM
USA is dominating this game. From what I saw vs. Puerto Rico and vs. China now, they are the MAIN candidats for gold. They are playing very simple but agressive basketball, very nice to watch it.

L8DBACK
08-20-2006, 11:20 AM
USA 63
China 38

:D :D

L8DBACK
08-20-2006, 12:26 PM
USA 121
China 90

MyKRo
08-20-2006, 12:29 PM

Good game. Dwight Howard is a BEAST.

Phantim3dx
08-20-2006, 12:38 PM
okay my guess wasnt far off. i said 27, but final outcome was a win by 31 pts.

i only saw the last 2 minutes of the game. i set my alarm clock wrong.

L8DBACK
08-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Slovenia is next. This will be a interesting game to watch and how well both teams will play.:)

bobo81
08-20-2006, 03:29 PM
I wish the US wouldnt let the margin lessen towards the end of the game...It has happend with PR and now China. Kinda scary if we play someone much tougher.

Phantim3dx
08-20-2006, 03:39 PM
it pisses me off too. anyone have a torrent to this game.. china team u have a torrent of this game or sinoball?

i say against slovenia US struggles in the 1st quarter, trail in the 2nd scores in 3rd and cruises in 4th again....<--i dont like this idea. win margin of 12 pts.

elaj
08-20-2006, 03:47 PM
it pisses me off too. anyone have a torrent to this game.. china team u have a torrent of this game or sinoball?

i say against slovenia US struggles in the 1st quarter, trail in the 2nd scores in 3rd and cruises in 4th again....<--i dont like this idea. win margin of 12 pts.
I think you wont have big problems against Slovenia. The game vs. USA is not important for us, the most important games for us will be against Puerto Rico and China. ;)

mpluby
08-20-2006, 04:32 PM

Yes he is :) I hadn't had much of a chance to watch him since he made the league since they haven't shown many Orlando Magic names nationally in the past two years, but boy, he is special. He rebounds like nobody's business and he gets up so quickly to block shots--I loved when he blocked a shot in the Puerto Rico game with his elbow.

Phantim3dx
08-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Yes he is :) I hadn't had much of a chance to watch him since he made the league since they haven't shown many Orlando Magic names nationally in the past two years, but boy, he is special. He rebounds like nobody's business and he gets up so quickly to block shots--I loved when he blocked a shot in the Puerto Rico game with his elbow.

when he rebounds that ball and grips its as he is going down, howard reminds me of sean kemp in how kemp used to rebound the ball.

and yes he is a beast

Zasalamel
08-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I always knew Dwayne Wade was the truth, 26 points against China:cool:

stuart
08-20-2006, 06:24 PM
US got up big and then kinda lost their focus. If not for a killer turnover-plagued 2 minutes in the third, China played well in the second-half.

I also think Yao got shafted on three calls -- the blocking call on Lebron, the fast break dribble was NOT a charge, and a clean block on Bosh for his fifth. Not that it would have made a huge difference in the result, just pointing that out. Yi Jianlian needs to learn to pass a little crisper, he had a few lazy passes that led to easy US transition baskets.

Stuart

Zasalamel
08-20-2006, 06:32 PM
^ Yeah I think the officiating is horrible, at times baskeball seems to almost become football in some aspects.

marko
08-20-2006, 06:39 PM
ordinary result .... usa is the strongest and i feel thyre gonna be world champs
frankly till now usa is from the rare teams i havent watched a game in the world cup ...

but i wanna say why is their defense is weak as i see
purto rico scored 100 and china 90

they should work on their D ..

bobo81
08-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Yeah officiating hasnt been great...But untill I see major game-changing calls, I will not complain.

US' defense and even offense just falls apart at the end...I really cant say why. Perhaps they get too comfortable with the score? Hmmm...some people are happy with a 10+ or 20+ points win, but I guess Im used to the older Dream Teams which whooped some serious butt like 40+ or 50+ :D

Phantim3dx
08-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah officiating hasnt been great...But untill I see major game-changing calls, I will not complain.

US' defense and even offense just falls apart at the end...I really cant say why. Perhaps they get too comfortable with the score? Hmmm...some people are happy with a 10+ or 20+ points win, but I guess Im used to the older Dream Teams which whooped some serious butt like 40+ or 50+ :D

i agree on what you are saying here i get frustrated that Team USA just cruises and loses focus towards the end. i personally want them to have an all out attitude even to the last minute with a 20+ pt win and just keep barraging the scoreboard to let other teams know, we were bloodied but we will take the battle and the war as a win type of metnality

"US got up big and then kinda lost their focus. If not for a killer turnover-plagued 2 minutes in the third, China played well in the second-half.

I also think Yao got shafted on three calls -- the blocking call on Lebron, the fast break dribble was NOT a charge, and a clean block on Bosh for his fifth. Not that it would have made a huge difference in the result, just pointing that out. Yi Jianlian needs to learn to pass a little crisper, he had a few lazy passes that led to easy US transition baskets."

yao did get shafted i saw no reason fro a foul call @ all on his last foul. it looked clean!!!

officiating blows in this tourney cuz its so uneven. in my blunt opinion

L8DBACK
08-20-2006, 07:31 PM
ordinary result .... usa is the strongest and i feel thyre gonna be world champs
frankly till now usa is from the rare teams i havent watched a game in the world cup ...

but i wanna say why is their defense is weak as i see
purto rico scored 100 and china 90

they should work on their D ..

Marko, does the USA need to blow out their opponents to win? I guess the coaching staff may be comfortable with 12-20 points margin. I think the USA will definitely play hard with their pressure defense especially with their remaining games in Group D. Coach K and staff knows this and should press on with their defense till the end of the game with the other good teams. Could it be that he may not want to burned out his team when the time comes especially going into the finals. Just my personal thoughts.:)

Phantim3dx
08-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Marko, does the USA need to blow out their opponents to win? I guess the coaching staff may be comfortable with 12-20 points margin. I think the USA will definitely play hard with their pressure defense especially with their remaining games in Group D. Coach K and staff knows this and should press on with their defense till the end of the game with the other good teams. Could it be that he may not want to burned out his team when the time comes especially going into the finals. Just my personal thoughts.:)

i never thought about the burning out process seeing they play an 82 game season, it oculd be a factor.

but i hope they blow out teams in the semi and DEFINITELY in the finals, should USA make it there. anything below a 25 pt margin in a finals championship game i will give them a satisfactory

Federoy
08-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I saw the majority of the China-USA game (I'm on vacation in AZ, so the game started at 3:30 am. yikes!) and although the US dominated the game from start to finish, I'm a little concerned with the amount of three point shots they allowed. Sure, the Chinese were completely overmatched and that was the only weapon (besides Yao Ming) they had, but it's important that the US play total defense and shut down or limit as many scoring chances as possible. Against better opposition they can't allow teams open threes like that. It's that sort of thing that got them in trouble in '04 and a little bit in the PR game. The two areas the US needs to work on defensively: tighten up dribble penetration (Arroyo, once again was killing them) and limit three point opportunities. The team is playing great, but we all know that bigger fish lye ahead with sharper teeth.

PRSURF
08-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Puerto Rican players are #1 in the stadistics yeahhhhhhhhhhh;) ,here the link:
http://www.fibaamericas.com/torneos_lideres.asp?t=MGHMXMGVIF

L8DBACK
08-21-2006, 01:36 AM
I saw the majority of the China-USA game (I'm on vacation in AZ, so the game started at 3:30 am. yikes!) and although the US dominated the game from start to finish, I'm a little concerned with the amount of three point shots they allowed. Sure, the Chinese were completely overmatched and that was the only weapon (besides Yao Ming) they had, but it's important that the US play total defense and shut down or limit as many scoring chances as possible. Against better opposition they can't allow teams open threes like that. It's that sort of thing that got them in trouble in '04 and a little bit in the PR game. The two areas the US needs to work on defensively: tighten up dribble penetration (Arroyo, once again was killing them) and limit three point opportunities. The team is playing great, but we all know that bigger fish lye ahead with sharper teeth.

The thing that we don't know what's in Coach K's mind. Who knows they may be saving the best for last. Also, you will notice that some of the other teams are not doing as well. USA is capable of shutting down the opponent's offense. They do have shooters and role players that can step up when needed. Totally different team from '04. Why is it that everyone thinks that this team is the same team in '04. Time will only tell when they meet the stronger teams. Yeah, there may be bigger fishes with sharper teeth but with good bait and line, they are helpless as can be!:D

L8DBACK
08-21-2006, 01:51 AM

Here are the updates from NBA.com reporters traveling with Team USA.

SAPPORO, Japan, Aug. 21 -- posted by Jeff Dengate (NBA.com) on August 20, 2006, 11:00 a.m. ET

At breakfast this morning at the team hotel, a number of us NBA staffers got into a discussion on Dwight Howard's skills and just how scary-good he can be one day.

If you watched tonight's game against China, you know just what I mean. Howard was, once again, a solid presence in the pivot for the Americans, despite giving up seven inches to Yao Ming. Wondering how Howard was able to overcome the size disadvantage to snare 11 boards -- four on the offensive glass?

The 20-year-old has an excellent mix of natural talent and athleticism to go with that chiseled physique. As we chowed on a fine spread of American morning foods prepared by Chef Robin, one crew member who has been with the men's team throughtout its training this summer regaled us with a (tall) tale about Howard's leaping ability. Seems he tried to grab the top of the backboard and told his USA teammates that he's done it before. His attempt came up just short, but that could be because he only took a few steps, as another witness added.

Don't believe it? Check out this photo of Howard kissing the rim:eek: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/broadband/orl-spt-magicpreseason2005,0,3724315.photogallery?coll=orl-multimedia-photo&index=43. The top of the backboard isn't all that far away when you're up that high.

Howard even wowed the Yao faithful with a few slams in warmups, including one double-clutch reverse and another high lob from Chris Paul in which he had to duck his head under the rim.

With a those kind of springs under a frame like that, look out NBA. This kid is going to be a serious force with a couple years experience -- if not sooner.:D

stuart
08-21-2006, 06:14 AM
The thing that we don't know what's in Coach K's mind. Who knows they may be saving the best for last.

Ok, what kind of argument is that?

You say that no one knows what Coach K is thinking and then in the same paragraph you suggest (again) that Coach K and the US team may be saving the best for last... which can be argued with your own "we don't know what's in Coach K's mind."

Also, without being a telepath, I can guarantee that "saving the best for last" is not how Coach K is running things. I don't need to know what he is thinking, but I can surmise without a queston in my mind that that would not be the case.

Stuart

ros
08-21-2006, 06:28 AM
I watched the game USA vs. China. The Chinese showed their weakness in the guard position they have a hard time bringing down the ball when preesured..In the first half alone USA had already 11 steals resulting into highlight fastbreak dunks... USA showed good defense in the first half resulting into a 25 pt. lead but had a slow start in the 3rd quarter where the lead was minimized to 14 pts. Again the chinese had a hard time breaking up presses and resulted into a lot of turnovers. She Wi Pang (i'm not sure if that's his correct name) hit a lot of 3 point shot.

USA can be defeated in this years WBC...Just good defense against their guards and the opponent plays team basketball...

L8DBACK
08-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Ok, what kind of argument is that?

You say that no one knows what Coach K is thinking and then in the same paragraph you suggest (again) that Coach K and the US team may be saving the best for last... which can be argued with your own "we don't know what's in Coach K's mind."

Also, without being a telepath, I can guarantee that "saving the best for last" is not how Coach K is running things. I don't need to know what he is thinking, but I can surmise without a queston in my mind that that would not be the case.

Stuart

Stuart,

So, you are an expert on what Coach K does with his team?:rolleyes: Did my comments irritated you? It's my own personal opinion on how I see the game, whether it's facts or just being funny. Can you actual tell me that the USA team will not win the gold. It's seems to me that everyone in this forum is an expert on basketball. If you look now, even some of the other favorite teams are not doing so well. Anyway, I still respect your comments and can take your criticisms as well.;) USA all the way!:D since the majority here are "anything but the USA."

jaja
08-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Stuart,

So, you are an expert on what Coach K does with his team?:rolleyes: Did my comments irritated you? It's my own personal opinion on how I see the game, whether it's facts or just being funny. Can you actual tell me that the USA team will not win the gold. It's seems to me that everyone in this forum is an expert on basketball. If you look now, even some of the other favorite teams are not doing so well. Anyway, I still respect your comments and can take your criticisms as well.;) USA all the way!:D since the majority here are "anything but the USA."

Hi 5! my man. USA all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

CG
08-21-2006, 02:28 PM

Anything than the USA:D

jaja
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
there's nothing better than winning against the tide. :D

CG
08-21-2006, 02:43 PM
there's nothing better than winning against the tide. :D

i agree but nothing is worse than having beaten and the tide against you:D

L8DBACK
08-21-2006, 03:06 PM
i agree but nothing is worse than having beaten and the tide against you:D

As long there is no sharks in the tide to eat you!:D ;)

CG
08-21-2006, 03:10 PM
As long there is no sharks in the tide to eat you!:D ;)

:D :D good luck man in your NT.I mean it.Your are nice guys.Even if i wish you fail in the WC

L8DBACK
08-21-2006, 03:10 PM

My High 5 to you too!:D

L8DBACK
08-21-2006, 03:15 PM
:D :D good luck man in your NT.I mean it.Your are nice guys.Even if i wish you fail in the WC

Thanks!:) Same here.:p Good luck to you too!:D May the best team win!:D

jaja
08-21-2006, 03:28 PM
good luck to you too. Yeah, it would hurt badly should the US fall considering the way everyone wants them to. but this group is mentally tough to fight it off.

May the best team win

stuart
08-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Stuart,

I suggest you re-read my argument and address it as is, it is you that is contradicting yourself with your comments. I just thought I would point that out. Instead, just like ALL your posts lately, you take the everyone is against the USA route, even when they're not.

If you read my post, I make no indication about leaning one way or the other, I was just saying that I highly highly doubt that Coach K would be saving his team for the finals as if it was a forgone conclusion. Knowing only a little about coach K, and reading about his coaching style and philosophy thus far, I know that that would not be the case.

Seriously, I think you need to take a break and address your extreme paranoia, you act as if it is a surprise that on an international basketball forum (especially so) that people are cheering against the US. Wake up.

And I don't have to respect people's opinions, I am not that PC, I only respect comments and opinions that have a point, or discuss intelligently topics having to do with basketball and not an thinly-veiled agenda.

Stuart

CHINA TEAM
08-21-2006, 04:02 PM
http://static.flickr.com/63/221104127_0c39f76f60_o.gif

http://static.flickr.com/83/221104128_f5d8d64759_o.gif

http://static.flickr.com/90/221104129_d641d8178d_o.gif

YI vs Brand
http://static.flickr.com/86/221104126_fcab55790b_o.gif

L8DBACK
08-21-2006, 04:45 PM
I suggest you re-read my argument and address it as is, it is you that is contradicting yourself with your comments. I just thought I would point that out. Instead, just like ALL your posts lately, you take the everyone is against the USA route, even when they're not.

If you read my post, I make no indication about leaning one way or the other, I was just saying that I highly highly doubt that Coach K would be saving his team for the finals as if it was a forgone conclusion. Knowing only a little about coach K, and reading about his coaching style and philosophy thus far, I know that that would not be the case.

Seriously, I think you need to take a break and address your extreme paranoia, you act as if it is a surprise that on an international basketball forum (especially so) that people are cheering against the US. Wake up.

And I don't have to respect people's opinions, I am not that PC, I only respect comments and opinions that have a point, or discuss intelligently topics having to do with basketball and not an thinly-veiled agenda.

Stuart

It's not extreme paranoia but pride & love for my country and the USA Team.

That is your choice. If you want to respect people who talk intelligently on topics that have a point, that is also your choice. I'm not forcing no one to believe on what I've posted. I've seen comments in this forum that are more far outrageous than mine. The only "thinly-veiled agenda" I have is my support for the USA Team.:D ;)

stuart
08-21-2006, 05:59 PM
That is your choice.

I know.

Stuart

Federoy
08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Totally different team from '04. Why is it that everyone thinks that this team is the same team in '04. Time will only tell when they meet the stronger teams. Yeah, there may be bigger fishes with sharper teeth but with good bait and line, they are helpless as can be!

Come on L8DBACK! If you've read any of my past quotes, I'm one of a handful of people on this forum who fully support the US, so I'm not criticizing this team based on ridiculous notions but on serious concerns. Puerto Rico and China are not the strongest teams in this tournament, but Team USA has shown some disturbing trends that are similiar to Athens. They're still giving up way too many threes and they are still too inconsistent on defending guard penetration. I hope you're right. I hope Coach K does have more tricks up his sleave to catch some of the more powerful teams off guard as this tournament advances. I still think the US is the favorite to win, but these concerns can not be ignored as they go against the Spains and Argentinas of the world.

stuart
08-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Come on L8DBACK! If you've read any of my past quotes, I'm one of a handful of people on this forum who fully support the US

Fereroy, is it not obvious, that even with the American flags below our names and the content of our posts (see mine above) matter not to L8DBACK? Any post containing any talk about the USA is perceived as bad and we can't have that, whether legitimate or not.

Stuart

australasian
08-22-2006, 02:06 AM
^ Yeah I think the officiating is horrible, at times baskeball seems to almost become football in some aspects.

lol.. i hope we all hate football here :rolleyes: