Argentines in the NBA 2009-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentines in the NBA 2009-10

Ginóbili 36 points + 8 assists + career-high 4 blocks in 32 minutes.

Ginobili powers Spurs past Raptors

By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

In the hours before his team walked into the AT&T Center on Monday, Toronto coach Jay Triano sat down with game film figuring he'd caught a break.

Tony Parker, the Spurs' All-Star point guard, had been ruled out of that night's game. George Hill, a relatively untested second-year guard, would start in his place.

Somewhere in the midst of that fuzzy film session, Triano's mood changed.

“Some of the video we had was pretty blurry,” Triano said. “George looked quite a bit like Tony.”

Nowhere on that film was the old Manu Ginobili. Triano and the Raptors had to wait to see that firsthand.

While Hill filled in ably for Parker, Ginobili pulled a page from his pre-injury past, totaling 36 points, eight assists and four blocks to lift the Spurs past the Raptors 131-124.

The victory was a much-needed one for the Spurs, who averted their first three-game regular-season losing streak since starting last season 0-3. It came with them doubly short-handed. Tim Duncan was a late scratch, joining Parker on the inactive list with a swollen left ankle.

When the Spurs required it most, Ginobili saved them. He scored 12 of his points in the fourth quarter, all on 3-pointers, to lead a finishing kick that took the Spurs from trailing 104-100 with 9:17 to play to ahead 123-112 with 2:41 left.

He hit six of eight 3-pointers on the night.

“I was really needing it,” said Ginobili, who was shooting 39.2 percent heading into the game. “I needed to get hot, make shots and begin feeling good about myself. It hadn't happened yet.”

The 124 points were the most points the Spurs had allowed in a four-quarter victory since a 129-124 affair against Sacramento on Jan. 30, 1993. It was also the highest-scoring non-overtime game of the Gregg Popovich era.

Afterward, Popovich was in no mood to nitpick the win. He was pleased with how his team had competed, even with two All-Stars tethered to the bench.

“It was a good win,” Popovich said. “And we needed a good win.”

The Spurs won despite giving up 32 points to Chris Bosh, who has scored at least 20 in a league-best 14 consecutive games dating to last season.

Ginobili, who tallied the most points ever by a non-starting Raptors opponent, was one of four Spurs players to enjoy a season scoring high. Richard Jefferson had 24 points. Hill performed his Parker impression en route to 22. Matt Bonner scored 18.

Jefferson enjoyed — or, rather, endured — another first as well. When he was traded here in June, Jefferson never envisioned he'd be starting a game at power forward for Duncan.

“That first six minutes was a little bit of a struggle, trying to find my way,” Jefferson said. “I'm still trying to figure out the three spot.”

For Ginobili, the season so far has also felt like an out-of-body experience. He began to feel like himself Monday.

With the Spurs down 10 in the second quarter, Ginobili completed perhaps the most productive 2-for-6 half in basketball history. He forced his way to the line eight times, making all eight shots. He doled out seven assists, including slick passes to DeJuan Blair and Antonio McDyess on back-to-back possessions that tied the game.

In the second half, Ginobili found his groove. He continued to get to the line, finishing 14 of 16. And he discovered his 3-point stroke.

Consecutive Ginobili treys put the Spurs ahead 106-104 with 8:52 left. They would never trail again.

The last time Ginobili felt so good with a ball in his hands?

“It was against Toronto, too,” Ginobili said. “I remember it pretty vividly.”

Ginobili had 32 points in a loss at the Raptors last February. The next day, he would begin treatment for a sore right ankle and would never be the same again.

Until Monday night, with the Spurs staring down a losing streak, and needing him most.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

A nice thread for my "gaucho" cousins!
    I'm hoping that Nocioni will someday make the All NBA Defensive 2nd Team.
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

Comment

I was really disappointed that Andres Nocioni wasn't traded yesterday.

I thought maybe he would be a part of that big McGrady/Martin/Landry trade. He could've found a place in Houston, even though he and Battier are basically the same player.
      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

San Antonio stopped Oklahoma's win-streak last night, thanks to Manu.
        Ginobili's 26 Points Leads Spurs Past Thunder -- February 25, 2009, by Paul J. Weber, AP Sports

Manu Ginobili didn’t believe he would actually stuff Kevin Durant when the NBA’s leading scorer elevated for a runaway dunk on a crucial fast break in the final minutes.

“I was more expecting to be dunked on, to tell you the truth,” Ginobili said.

Think again.

Coming almost out of nowhere to block Durant and deny Oklahoma City from retaking the lead, Ginobili made what Thunder coach Scott Brooks called a “superhero” play that propelled the San Antonio Spurs to a 95-87 victory on Wednesday night.

That bat Ginobili knocked down on Halloween? That swat can take a back seat.

With the Thunder trailing by one with just under 3 minutes left, Durant corralled the ball after a Spurs miss and raced down the court for what the entire arena likely expected would be an easy fast-break dunk for the All-Star.

Ginobili knew he had to try something. He expected a more embarrassing outcome when he went up to challenge the lengthy 6-foot-9 forward, but instead wound up getting a clean palm on the ball and sent Durant crashing down on the baseline.

Even Durant gave Ginobili his due.

“All clean, I can’t take credit away from him,” Durant said. “He made a great block. When I was at the rim, he just met me there, his hand was inside the rim and he got it.”

...As if the block wasn’t enough, Ginobili led the Spurs with 26 points. His last field goal was a big 3-pointer a minute after he made the defensive play of the game—and maybe the season—for the Spurs.

“He’s really long, very athletic,” Ginobili said. “So I went up to see what would happen. Of course I wasn’t going to let him score an easy two.”

From the other end of the floor, Brooks was impressed.

“That’s superhero,” Brooks said. “It’s amazing.”...
        Never Normal -- Ginobili's Last Leap -- by Buck Harvey, February 24, 2009

The previous time, Kevin Durant stood under the basket when Manu Ginobili flew out of bounds. This was in Oklahoma City.

Then, in the final seconds, Ginobili's body was parallel to the ground. Durant watched as Ginobili threw a no-look pass that led to a win.

This time convinced Durant.

“He's not normal,” Durant said.

San Antonio knew this about Ginobili already. But in a season that's not normal, either, Wednesday brought out the one, skinny, left-handed chance the Spurs have at becoming more than first-round fodder.

The evening began without many expectations. All Ginobili anticipated was the residue of the rodeo, but then he came out for warmups, seeing the AT&T Center floor for the first time since January, and he was mildly encouraged.

“It doesn't smell too bad,” he said....

....But it was all there for the Thunder with a little less than three minutes left. Then they trailed by just a point when Durant took off and headed for what would surely become a fast-break dunk.

Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks said he never saw Ginobili coming. Asked why, he shrugged.

“He's Manu,” said Brooks.

Brooks talked again about that game in Oklahoma City. He loved how Ginobili missed all 10 of his shots that night, yet he was there at the end diving out of bounds.

“He's just a winner,” Brooks said. “He's special.”

Again, San Antonio already knows this. But the city hadn't seen this Ginobili the past two postseasons; there were some doubting if anyone would again.

He showed signs this season, and more on the road trip. And then came this night, when, at the end, he seemed to be involved in every rebound, every assist, every score.

The block overshadowed all of it, and the victim was a reason. Durant already had 21 points after three quarters, and he seemed certain to get to the 25-point mark he had hit in every game since mid-December.

So there was Durant, 6-foot-9 and stretching for the lead — with Ginobili sneaking his hand above the rim.

Durant smiled afterward talking about it, as if he oddly appreciated the moment, too. He said it was “a big-time play,” and he made no excuses.

“Clean,” he said.

To the Thunder, this time was like the previous time. And for the Spurs, this was like the good times, when Ginobili had lift, and he made plays, and he won games the Spurs shouldn't have won.

Which, in those years, was normal.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

ARG – Manu back to his best

SAN ANTONIO (2010 FIBA World Championship) - While it's unclear if Argentinians will be able to root for Manu Ginobili this summer at the FIBA World Championship, there’s no doubt the veteran guard's play of late with the San Antonio Spurs is giving his compatriots something to applaud in the NBA.

The 32-year-old’s performances this week have made people back home remember the Ginobili of old.

That would be the Manu that played for Estudiantes de Bahía Blanca from 1996 to 1998, for Reggio Calabria (1998-2000), Virtus Bologna (2000-2002) and the first several years when the Spurs were either winning or in the running for championships.

There was also the summer of 2004 when Ginobili led Argentina to the gold medal at the Athens Olympics.

Indeed, with injuries having plagued Ginobili the past few seasons, he now looks as if he were as good as new.

This week, Ginobili came up with a play that no one is going to forget any time soon when taking on Oklahoma City and their superstar, Kevin Durant.

With less than three minutes remaining, the 6ft 9in USA international was going in for a two-handed dunk when Ginobili left his feet, reached above the rim with his left hand and blocked the shot.

San Antonio, inspired by the effort, won the game 95-87.

Ginobili sounds like a player that is primed for another NBA title run.

“I feel great, and I bet you can tell,” Ginobili said.

“Going to dunk, or going for a block like that, a month ago that couldn't have happened.

“I'm feeling great, and I'm very happy about it.”

His teammate, Antonio McDyess, paid Ginobili a huge compliment after the win over Oklahoma City.

“I've never played with anybody who wanted to win more than he does,” McDyess said.
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Scola scored a career-high 30 points (8/17 FG, 14/14 FT) and added 13 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal as the Rockets beat the Spurs.

Artificial Nature

Comment

Nocioni was suspended for two games for drunk driving. I'm surprised that he's the only member of the team arrested for drunk driving this year...

Nocioni Suspended -- March 2, 2010, AP

Sacramento Kings forward Andres Nocioni(notes) has been suspended by the NBA for two games without pay after pleading no contest in California to drunken driving.

The suspension was to begin with Tuesday night’s game between the Kings and the Thunder in Oklahoma City.

Nocioni was arrested about 2 a.m. Nov. 5 when a police officer noticed his car weaving in downtown Sacramento, hours after the Kings had lost a home game to the Atlanta Hawks.

An attorney entered a no contest plea to a misdemeanor drunken driving charge on Nocioni’s behalf on Feb. 22.

As part of his sentence, Nocioni will serve two days in a work program operated by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department. He also must complete a three-month alcohol class, pay a $480 fine and court penalties and serve three years’ probation.

Comment

Ginobili's new Pick and Roll partner

Since the departure of Oberto, Ginobili has found a new partner in pick and roll sets.... and its not Tim Duncan.

Check out this article

Comment

Scola added another milestone to his career: 21 rebounds (and 25 points) in the win yesterday against the Timberwolves.
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                    Scola added another milestone to his career: 21 rebounds (and 25 points) in the win yesterday against the Timberwolves.
                    Wow! I had to look that up just to make sure, Rik.

Scola has had a lot of 15 rebound games, but 21 is his career high. Fantastic.

Scola is one of the most undervalued PFs in the game. He brings a very creative Duncanesque style to Houston. It's a shame he's already 30-years-old and fans in the US have only seen him for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                      Scola is one of the most undervalued PFs in the game. He brings a very creative Duncanesque style to Houston. It's a shame he's already 30-years-old and fans in the US have only seen him for a few years.
                      Hear, hear. I *love* to see him play.
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                        Hear, hear. I *love* to see him play.
                        Me too. He never makes a bad play and he always hustles. That's why I think he's so much like Duncan.

Another fun player to watch, Manu Ginobili, scored 38 points (7-11 from three!!), 7 rebounds, and 5 assists last night in a loss to Cleveland. It was his season high.

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                          Another fun player to watch, Manu Ginobili, scored 38 points (7-11 from three!!), 7 rebounds, and 5 assists last night in a loss to Cleveland. It was his season high.
                          Manu had 28 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists last night against the Knicks. San Antonio won. But it was against the Knicks, so...

Comment

Luis Scola was huge tonight as he scored 44 points (20 of 25 FGs) along with 12 rebounds in a Rockets win over New Jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by BBallfanJ View Post
                              Luis Scola was huge tonight as he scored 44 points (20 of 25 FGs) along with 12 rebounds in a Rockets win over New Jersey.
                              Wow!! That's absolutely amazing!!

Scola Carries Rockets Past Nets -- March 14, 2010, By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports

Luis Scola(notes) glanced at the scoreboard during the second half of Saturday’s game against New Jersey and the night he was having finally started to sink in.

Scola finished with a career-high 44 points and grabbed 12 rebounds and the Houston Rockets beat the Nets 116-108 to keep their fading playoff hopes alive.

Scola hit 20 of 25 shots, many of them open layups, and reached the highest point total by a Rockets player since Tracy McGrady(notes) scored 47 against Utah in November 2007.

“It was one of those nights where you’re feeling good, but then everything you try, works,” Scola said. “I’m probably as surprised as you are.”

The Argentine forward had 32 points after three quarters—already a career high—and sneaked a peek at his stat line in the lights above him.

“Just for a moment, I looked up and saw 32 or 33 (points),” Scola said. “I was like, ‘Whoa, that is good.”’

Kevin Martin(notes) scored 20, Aaron Brooks(notes) added 18 points and seven assists and Houston strung together consecutive victories for the first time since early February.

Scola seemed to slip inside for layups all night, and finished off the Nets with a straight-on jumper that put Houston up 103-93 with just over four minutes left. Scola hit 6 of 8 shots and scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and got chest bumps from Brooks and forward Chuck Hayes(notes) after the final buzzer sounded.

“I’m not surprised,” Brooks said. “He played for Argentina, and we’ve got the ‘Argentina Luis’ now, so it’s pretty good.”

“Luis was awesome,” Battier said. “They’re erecting statues of him in Buenos Aires as we speak.”

....“When I’m in the game, you can see I’m running all over the place, trying to touch all the loose balls,” Scola said. “That’s when I feel better. From then on, everything works well—the shooting, the post-up, everything works better if I can get easy shots.”...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information