Abkhazian basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abkhazian basketball

Last edited by ArkadiosV2; 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM.

Originally posted by parso
    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
    Originally posted by sseppel
    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
    Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Thanks Arkadios! Keep up this thread
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

hmm where do they compete outside their country? they're not recognized by fiba right and from what I've read their country's sovereignty is not recognized by UN. Is there a counter part of FIFI Wild Cup in football or do they have this similar international tourney like the Island Games for small island dependencies nations
      you know why I am happy

Comment

Just as a matter of curiosity, is there some basketball activity in
        -Adjara
        -South Ossetia
        -The predominantly Armenian Samtskhe-Javakheti

I know these should be in their own separate threads, but since you know the basics of Abkhazian basketball, and I congratulate you for that, you should probably know as well about the other regions of Georgia too.

As a matter of curiosity, since you mention that the President of Abkhazia is a basketball player, I have read about a charity event held in Los Angeles in which the President of Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh now an independent Armenian entity also played basketball in that charity to collect some funds for the Republic and scored quite a few baskets in a good competitive game in Los Angeles. Armenian papers highlighted the game, there are also videotapes of te game, and mentioned him being a former basketball player quite clearly in the papers.

Apparently its not just Obama who loves the game LOL Many presidents of lesser fame also do love basketball.

PS: I always wondered if there was any basketball in the Vatican. I know some fathers must be crazed with soccer and play it, so clealrly some high-level fathers do play basketball too. If there was a basketball court tucked in somewhere in the Vatican, it would be swell, or so would I think.

Comment

Originally posted by worldbasketball View Post
          PS: I always wondered if there was any basketball in the Vatican. I know some fathers must be crazed with soccer and play it, so clealrly some high-level fathers do play basketball too. If there was a basketball court tucked in somewhere in the Vatican, it would be swell, or so would I think.
          That would be a cool sight to see.
          Last edited by bruceree; 09-17-2009, 11:33 AM.
          How To Jump Higher

Comment

ArkadiosV2 asks about Republic of Nagorno Karabakh President references playing basketball. How about this article for example about President Arkady Ghoukasian.

with a picture of the President Ghoukassian as well. President Ghoukasian completed five 3-point shots!! The article also talks about the Archbisop of the Karabakh Republic Archbishop Barkev Mardirossian, the Primate of Nagorno Karabakh as a very keen sportsman as well:

QUOTE:

Pasadena, CA - On Tuesday, November 23, 2004 the AGBU Southern California District Committee (SCDC) and AGBU-AYA Southern California Central Sports Committee (CSC) hosted His Excellency Arkady Ghoukasian, President of Nagorno Karabakh and His Eminence Archbishop Barkev Mardirossian, Primate of Nagorno Karabakh in an afternoon of athletic events at the AGBU Center of Pasadena.

The basketball and indoor soccer games were between teams consisting of employees and friends of the Consulate of the Republic of Armenia in Los Angeles and AGBU members.

President Ghoukasian and Archbishop Mardirossian were visiting the United States to encourage Armenians to contribute to the Armenia Fund's Thanksgiving Day Telethon. The Telethon’s goal is to raise funds to complete the remaining 56 miles of the North-South "Backbone" Highway in Karabakh. Upon completion, the $25 million, 105-mile highway will link 150 towns and villages and provide crucial economic, trade and development opportunities. This year, the Telethon successfully raised $11 million with the help of donations from major AGBU donors and members.

Guests participating in the friendly basketball and indoor soccer games along with President Ghoukasian and Archbishop Mardirossian included, the Consul General of the Republic of Armenia in Los Angeles, Gagik Kirakosian, Representative of Nagorno Karabakh in the United States, Vardan Barseghian, Armenia Fund Inc. Public Relations Executive, Sarkis Kotanjian, renowned actor and comedian, Hrant Tokhatian, and Executive Committee Member of the Pan Armenian Games World Committee and lifelong AGBU-AYA supporter, Albert Boyajian.

President Ghoukasian and Archbishop Mardirossian, both active and avid sportsmen, teamed up on the basketball court and competed with and against members of the AGBU Valley Men's Basketball team—winners of the First and Second Pan Armenian Games in Yerevan in 1999 and 2001. Both President Ghoukasian and Archbishop Mardirossian were warmly greeted by younger AGBU-AYA boys basketball players who cheered their every move during the games. President Ghoukasian completed five 3-point shots to the delight of the crowd.

Jano Baghdanian, AGBU CSC and executive director of the AGBU Valley 2003 Pan Armenian Games championship soccer team in Yerevan, organized the indoor soccer competition, in which both President Ghoukasian and Barkev Srpazan scored goals.

A reception followed the games at Boyajian Hall during which the AGBU honored President Ghoukasian and Archbishop Mardirossian. Vahe Imasdounian, Chairman of AGBU SCDC, extended his greetings to President Ghoukasian and Barkev Srpazan, welcomed them to the Pasadena AGBU Center, and paid tribute to President Ghoukasian and his leadership over the past seven years.

A book on behalf of AGBU on the occasion of the California visit was presented to President Ghoukasian and the Karabakh leader thanked AGBU for its support of his country and for hosting a memorable afternoon of sports competition and friendship. He encouraged the AGBU Valley men's basketball team members to compete in the First Pan-Armenian Basketball Championship (known as the Armenag Alajajian Basketball Cup) next August in Armenia.

On behalf of AGBU, Mihran Toumajan, AGBU Central Sports Committee and Pasadena Chapter member, presented Archbishop Mardirossian with a special gift in appreciation of his role as spiritual leader to his people.

UNQUOTE

NB: What I remember is that there was coverage of this on Eurobasket's Armenia page as well.
            Last edited by worldbasketball; 09-22-2009, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Even a famous Georgian basketball star wishes he could return to Abkhazia:

"Abkhazia,'' Stepania said, as his eyes widened, "beautiful, unbelievable. I have been to Switzerland, Monte Carlo, California, Florida. There were oranges, plantations, mountains and a really warm sea. Now, you cannot go there."
              Originally posted by Fedfan
              Most ppl get childish when they lose.
              Originally posted by GuTO
              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2
                Awesome article.

It seems anyone named after me loves basketball
                Exactly!!

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information