PDA

View Full Version : WC Preparation and Friendly Games, p2

stuart
08-15-2006, 06:14 PM
All prep and friendly games in here (or start a new thread)

Please, keep it clean and about basketball.

Stuart

rikhardur
08-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Greece-Germany 84-47
yes thats correct...
I'm shocked :eek:
Not a single player from Germany reached 10 points, Nowitzki scored 9 :( I really really hope Germany (and especially Nowitzki) gets back on track in a few days...

ARIS WORLD FANS
08-15-2006, 08:26 PM
i think after this swip against Germany we going in Japan with BIG advadage in psichology part.......come on Greece come on for the final in WC

wardjdim
08-15-2006, 09:04 PM
come on Greece come on for the final in WC
I will keep asking u.
Y only the final??? Which contending team goes to a tournament with a goal to finish 2nd? This is a losing mentality..

Phantim3dx
08-16-2006, 03:08 AM
Greece manhandled Germany like that!?!?!

I am shocked! i saw greece play last week or some few days ago was it france? and they played pretty well as a team but to dismantle the Germans like that i cant believe it! :eek:

Civilis
08-16-2006, 07:28 AM

I am shocked! i saw greece play last week or some few days ago was it france? and they played pretty well as a team but to dismantle the Germans like that i cant believe it! :eek:

It is absolutely no surprise to me. The German team is most overrated team of the decade in Europe. Greece has an excellent and balanced team (unlike Dirkful or Dirkless Germany).

mirmidonas55
08-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Most of the times basketball is like chemistry. Not all principles act the same with each other. Greece plays well against teams like Germany, but has serious problems with teams like Italy. However Germany could well beat Italy.

It's like the old Rock, Paper, Scissors game.

DanMajerle
08-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Germany was fourth in 2001, third in 2003 and 2nd in 2005. Over the last five years, that's more successfull than Lithuania. Believe me, Germany is a tournament team, try to underestimate them but don't be suprised when they go far. And compared to many other teams Germany is a real team where everyone knows his role and who has a superstar that is very non-selfish.

Civilis
08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Germany was fourth in 2001, third in 2003 and 2nd in 2005. Over the last five years, that's more successfull than Lithuania. Believe me, Germany is a tournament team, try to underestimate them but don't be suprised when they go far. And compared to many other teams Germany is a real team where everyone knows his role and who has a superstar that is very non-selfish.

Come on, saying that is just ridiculous :D -

LTU is the Eurobasket 2003 champion (defeated Germany by 30 points after a perfect game and has shut up all the talks about Germany as a favourite), had the 4th place in the 2004 Olympics (where was Germany, sorry?) and fifth place in the Eurobasket 2005 with the 2nd roster. It has won 17 and lost 3 officials games in the period 2001-2006 (the best record among all world's teams for this period). Simple cold facts :) I am not talking about consistency of LTU basketball clubs (mainly based on Lithuanians) and the incomparable traditions in basketball (with Germany).

I am not denying the Dirk factor, he is a player every team would like to have in its roster, but I just cannot take the German TEAM seriously. Let them prove something on a consistent basis. And, of course, I wish all the best luck! (would be great if basketball becomes popular in Germany!)

EDIT: I don't know about what Germany 3rd you are talking in 2003. They even did not get into 1/4 of the Eurobasket in Stockholm. :)

rikhardur
08-16-2006, 01:41 PM
It is absolutely no surprise to me. The German team is most overrated team of the decade in Europe. Greece has an excellent and balanced team (unlike Dirkful or Dirkless Germany).
You think they have been overrated? I think you underrate them ;)

kestas
08-16-2006, 01:44 PM

I agree.

damelo
08-16-2006, 02:09 PM
well, Germany will never win witn the team they currently have. They are not the favourites, Dirk can't beat everyone in just three weeks!!! But, they will make a top five, as ever when Dirk plays... :(

re5pectas
08-16-2006, 02:24 PM
<...> It has won 17 and lost 3 officials games in the period 2001-2006 (the best record among all world's teams for this period)<...>
from 2003-2005... :cool: there was no oficial games yet:rolleyes:

Civilis
08-16-2006, 02:44 PM
from 2003-2005... :cool: there was no oficial games yet:rolleyes:

ok, we can include all 10 victories by LTU in 2002 Euro qualifiers :cool: (which would make the 2002-2005 balance 27-3 :D ). But the point itself is clear :)

hagakure
08-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Personally, I think predictions are just for fun and I don't think anyone should be taking them seriously. Also, I think it's dangerous to believe that the results in friendly games will determine the winners of the WC.
All teams start the WC with 0 Wins and 0 Losses.

robbe
08-17-2006, 08:45 AM
I am not denying the Dirk factor, he is a player every team would like to have in its roster, but I just cannot take the German TEAM seriously. Let them prove something on a consistent basis. And, of course, I wish all the best luck! (would be great if basketball becomes popular in Germany!)
Well, if reaching the semis in three out of four major tournaments since 2001 is not consistent, then what is? Tell me please...

Nobody will ever say that Germany has the best individuals on their team, in fact it is only Dirk, Okulaja and Femerling, who have had success internationally with good clubs. But you should never ever underestimate the heart of this bunch of hard workers + the greatness of Dirk.

And although the defeat versus Greece was a bit scary, it is nothing new to me. Germany has always struggled in pre-tournament-games.

Civilis
08-17-2006, 09:07 AM
whatever you say, Germany IS a ONE-person team (with some humble support of role players), and they must have an extraordinary day (or several days) to win against the teams like USA, LTU, GRE, SCG, ESP or ARG (in their good shape). But you cannot demand consistent medals from such a team. Getting into several semis of the recent competitions is simply jumping over itself, but not a sign of great team.

The true champions play in style - I don't see any of that in German play (parallel with Greek football Eurochampions, sorry Greek friends :) )

CG
08-17-2006, 09:23 AM

my friend greek players play in huge clubs here in Europe.Its not so big shock.Each one has achieved many things in their clubs and many titles.Plus that everyone plays huge part in their teams.I beleive very much in that team but i am afraid the knock out game since greece has bad history in those games.Plus they will be for sure the best defence of the tournament and surely better than last year which they were european champions.

robbe
08-17-2006, 10:41 AM
whatever you say, Germany IS a ONE-person team (with some humble support of role players), and they must have an extraordinary day (or several days) to win against the teams like USA, LTU, GRE, SCG, ESP or ARG (in their good shape). But you cannot demand consistent medals from such a team. Getting into several semis of the recent competitions is simply jumping over itself, but not a sign of great team.
That's the way you want to see it, very much unsure and certainly debatable, but I'm sticking with the facts, which tell us: 3 semis(or better: one silver, one bronze medal and one fourth place) in 4 big tournaments.
But "jumping over itself" and having "extraordinary days" on a consistent basis, like in the past, is a good thing, perhaps they can do it a few more times.;)

The true champions play in style - I don't see any of that in German play (parallel with Greek football Eurochampions, sorry Greek friends :) )
So are we talking about style or about success?

Imo the true champions are those who win games.:)

DanMajerle
08-17-2006, 11:02 AM
God, Lithuanian fans remind a lot of american fans. They mostly think their basketball is superior to the rest of the world, altough it isn't. And if other teams are better than their team as Germany in last EC or Italy in last Olympics it's only luck, atough these teams proved so many times before they play constantly on a high level. They're just arrogant.

robbe
08-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Don't generalize.;)

zik013
08-17-2006, 11:24 AM
germany team looks "very bad" on paper.. but they SOMEHOW manage to win games.. good games, vs good teams... which means they play good basketball, and they are a good TEAM with very good COACH...

Civilis
08-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Would you please not blame LTU fans on "arrogance" when someone says that the Greek team is superior to German? :)

To console you even more, I will say that LTU team as it looks so far is not worth getting a medal (though I'd wish a lot..). This is only my opinion - do not generalize for the whole LTU fans.

Dirk is super, but current Germany will never be my favourite for medals (call it prejudice, whatever)

robbe
08-17-2006, 12:27 PM
No, no...this is getting strange. Would you please not mix things.

The German team is most overrated team of the decade in Europe.Is what you said, and that is quite a statement regarding that Germany was never considered a semi-finalist by anyone and was never hyped as much as other teams, but still wound up with a silver, a bronze medal and a fourth place.

That is why he most probably used the word "arrogance", it's not about this Greece-Germany thing. Nobody here says that Greece isn't the better team.

Civilis
08-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Well, any "overrating" and "underrating" is in most cases personal and emotional :)

I agree with you that German team was possibly "underrated" before the last Eurobasket because very few people actually expected it to reach the final game.

But it was e.g. "overrated" before the Eurobasket2003 when the German fans (based on personal experience, I dare to say that the general knowledge of GER basketball fans about basketball game is pretty average - not to compare with the knowledge of football subtleties) around the team were very confident of its success and even quite arrogant (after the successful WC 2002). I was happy they were brought down to Earth that year (just like LTU received a good shock therapy in Turkey 2001 :D )

Now, I feel like after this unexpectedly good performance in Eurobasket 2005 this pretty average team is again becoming overhyped. I will not bore you with my opinion any more, just want to be understood correctly.

CG
08-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Guys Germany as Italy are with the meaning of the world TEAMS.Every player know their role and they dont do something for their names.Maybe they dont have talent but i will not forget that in those friendly games that Greece gave only ITALY with not so much talent played very well Greece.Personally i liked their game last year when Germany beat Slovenia on top 8 so easily when every Slovenia friend was thinking the future (wish) semifinal against Spain.

Phantim3dx
08-17-2006, 01:27 PM
my friend greek players play in huge clubs here in Europe.Its not so big shock.Each one has achieved many things in their clubs and many titles.Plus that everyone plays huge part in their teams.I beleive very much in that team but i am afraid the knock out game since greece has bad history in those games.Plus they will be for sure the best defence of the tournament and surely better than last year which they were european champions.

im not denying the players ability of greece, ive browsed the other thread here about greece. from what Ive taken teamwork is the best thing they have. im jsut still shocked they dismantled Germany that badly. then again imho germany is a one man team of dirk. so if dirk is hot then germany is hot, if he isnt then i guess i could see greece taking down germany like that.

fulcizombie
08-17-2006, 04:03 PM
God, Lithuanian fans remind a lot of american fans. They mostly think their basketball is superior to the rest of the world, altough it isn't. And if other teams are better than their team as Germany in last EC or Italy in last Olympics it's only luck, atough these teams proved so many times before they play constantly on a high level. They're just arrogant.
Honestly i admire Lithuania and their basketball style.They've taken the european basketball from the Serbian ghetto.Their style is a sight to behold.

A "fully-roster" Lithuanian team would be the grand favourite to win the gold medal,yes above the Americans,at least IMO.They have every right to be proud of their national team and their basketball philosophy.I actually admire their basketball philosophy much more than that of us(the Greeks),never mind the gold medal at last year's eurobasket.

Civilis
08-17-2006, 08:26 PM
thanks, fulkizombie, for warm words though I had no intention whatsoever to advocate for the "superiority" of the LTU philosophy of play (I like it a lot though :) ).

To show that I really had no "arrogant" intentions, just wanna mention the certain things I admire about other teams. :) (sorry if that's offt topic post)So here is what I admire certain teams for:

Argentina - for their joyful and professional style of play + the fact that being a classical football country they finally have an outstanding basketball team

Spain - for the high level and elegant basketball played even at the expense of results (sometimes)

France - for their athletic capabilities + Tony to rule them all :)

USA - for being the best athletes in the global basketball who are always there to entertain the masses. If they overcome their egos and get back the basketball basics, I will have even more respect for them.

Greece - for playing disciplined and intelligent basketball + for having the players of high European calibre in every position despite the national championship filled with foreigners

Italy - for their killer instinct and winners' mentality (despite not being favourites)

Serbia - for the great basketball school and people's love for basketball, they have too many stars even to mention..

Germany - for the discipline, fighting spirit + super Dirk

Slovenia - I just love small countries with excellent basketball :) their youth is always amazing

Brazil - for finally having a proper team after the Schmidt's era (still have to see them play)

Puerto Rico - for being a small island with a very big heart for basketball

Turkey - for the passionate and emotional play

China - for the fact that this huge country gives priority to basketball over football

Russia - for their respect of Lithuanian contribution to the former victories of USSR

Israel - for the most wonderful and loyal Maccabi fans

Latvia - for always being there to challenge their brothers Lithuanians and go home :D

Sorry if forgot some of the teams :)

Levenspiel
08-17-2006, 08:55 PM
it's a good idea for a new thread Civilis ;)

In fact, I greatly appreciate Germany's basketball team. Nowitzki is just a luxury I know, but even when he's not playing, the German team is not easy to beat at all. I've always found it interesting how efficiently the average players like Mithat Demirel, Hamann etc. play within this team. For example, Demirel could not get enough playing time even in the low-level TBL teams like OYAK Renault years ago, and then in Besiktas. But, he's consistently in the German team, and he plays impressive sometimes :eek:

Although they don't seem to have a tradition, they have achieved much more than some "basketball countries" have. They were the European Champions in 1993, right? (when they didn't have the Superman ;)). I remember Alba Berlin winning an European Cup, too. Not to mention the most successful European NBA stars.

I believe at least quarter-finals would be a quite realistic prediction for them.

Civilis
08-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Maybe we should start the thread like "The things I admire about other teams" :D

To continue the German-related offtopic a bit... There is one interesting thing I remember from the times I was a student in Sweden :) We were going to play basketbal to the local gym, and there were basically no Swedes joining at all (not surprisingly - they were always playing their indoor hockey..), but the basketball court was dominated by Lithuanians (:D), ex-Yugos (not surprisingly), Spaniards, some people from Middle East (Israel, Lebanon) and... Germany! And Germans who were coming to play basketball in their free time were not few at all! So I really hope that basketball has a future of the "mass sport" in this country! ;)