PDA

View Full Version : The Philippine Patriots at the Asean Basketball League

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

manu_bol
09-06-2009, 06:08 PM
http://www.singaporeslingers.com/beta/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/nggshow.php?pid=260&width=100&height=100&mode=

Owner: Mikee Romero and Antonio Cojuangco
Coach: Louie Alas

Roster:

7 local players
2 foreign imports
2 ASEAN players
1 player with one parent from ASEAN

1st game vs Britama, Oct 11@Jakarta, Indonesia
2nd game vs Singapore Slingers@Singapore

Homecourt: Ynares

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASEAN_Basketball_League

b3lowzro
09-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Owner: Mikee Romero and Antonio Cojuangco

Roster:

7 local players
2 foreign imports
2 ASEAN players
1 player with one parent from ASEAN

1st game vs Britama, Oct 11@Jakarta, Indonesia
2nd game vs Singapore Slingers@Singapore

Homecourt: Ynares

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASEAN_Basketball_League

nice post but i have a question

Whats the difference between a player w/ Southeast Asian lineage (1 player with one parent from ASEAN) and a local player? Isn't they are already considered as locals already in terms of Filipino citizenship laws?

patay-butiki
09-07-2009, 10:07 AM

Whats the difference between a player w/ Southeast Asian lineage (1 player with one parent from ASEAN) and a local player? Isn't they are already considered as locals already in terms of Filipino citizenship laws?

the line-up cited is not the patriots' lineup. it is rather the suggested line-up of teams as proposed by the ABL.

the south-east asians mean players from other countries in southeast Asia. Thus, the patriots may have thai, singaporean, indonesian or malaysian imports. but this is not required. the patriots may opt to just use local (pinoy) players. i'm guessing the southeast asian slots are actually reserved for pinoy imports to play in other squads. like al vergara is playing for the slingers.

kaiziken_pinas
09-07-2009, 10:19 AM
does anyone have their COMPLETE lineup now?

I am dying for that info..

manu_bol
09-07-2009, 11:00 AM
the line-up cited is not the patriots' lineup. it is rather the suggested line-up of teams as proposed by the ABL.

the south-east asians mean players from other countries in southeast Asia. Thus, the patriots may have thai, singaporean, indonesian or malaysian imports. but this is not required. the patriots may opt to just use local (pinoy) players. i'm guessing the southeast asian slots are actually reserved for pinoy imports to play in other squads. like al vergara is playing for the slingers.

yup, that's what i meant... i showed what lineup is allowed.

the patriots can field an all-pinoy lineup.

manu_bol
09-07-2009, 11:02 AM

well, i think a team like singapore can hire 1 fil-american or for example, the patriots can hire 1 thai-american. i think that's what it means.

by the way, since it is not "manila patriots", maybe they can schedule a home game in the provinces. i think this will click more in the provinces than in metro manila.

nardy
09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
well, i think a team like singapore can hire 1 fil-american or for example, the patriots can hire 1 thai-american. i think that's what it means.

Yes this is correct .....

b3lowzro
09-07-2009, 12:44 PM
thank you manu bol for enlightening me on the issue, hmm logistical concerns I believe the Philippine should have several home courts, (well they shouldn't be stuck in one venue here in the Phils). Well its a known fact that games played in the greater manila area doesn't get much attention (looking at PBL and Liga), I think people will flock the games when the venue is shuffled to different playing venues here in the Philippines.

Let's the say 1st home game will be on Cebu, next will be on Lucena, Quezon and so on..., of course big games will be in Manila/Cebu. I think this move would spread the awareness of the league in the far flung areas of the country which has minimal exposure to media. I bet a lot of our country men are dying to see a taste of an International flavor of basketball.

manu_bol
09-07-2009, 01:13 PM
http://www.singaporeslingers.com/beta/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/nggshow.php?pid=260&width=100&height=100&mode=Philippine Patriots

Possible Roster:
1. Johnny Abarrientos
2. Vergel Meneses
3. Chico Lanete
4. Jerwin Gaco
5. Virgilio Serios
11. import 1 - Sam Ekwe
12. import 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Patriots

manu_bol
09-07-2009, 01:19 PM
guys, in your opinion, who do you think is the best professional player not currently in the PBA or SG?

Al Vegara?

http://www.singaporeslingers.com/beta/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/nggshow.php?pid=256&width=400&height=566&mode=

OjiesIII
09-07-2009, 01:35 PM
guys, in your opinion, who do you think is the best professional player not currently in the PBA or SG?

Stanley Pringle.. 6'1 with 42in vertical leap.. from div1 big10.. Penn State.. playing right now in belguim as an import

patay-butiki
09-08-2009, 02:39 AM
hahahaha. the writer doesn't know how big basketball is in the philippines. :D

Southeast Asia gets first pro league
By Martin Parry (AFP) – 3 hours ago

SINGAPORE — Basketball plans to breach new borders next month with the launch of the inaugural ASEAN Basketball League, a project headed by wealthy entrepreneur and AsiaAir founder Tony Fernandes.

While the game has a big following in countries like China, basketball has yet to take a iron grip on the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, a geo-political and economic organization of 10 countries.

But with a potential market of some 600 million people, that could be about to change.

Six clubs - Brunei Barracudas, KL Dragons, Philippine Patriots, Satria Muda BritAma, Thailand Tigers and Singapore Slingers - will compete in the inaugural season of the ABL, starting in Jakarta on October 10.

But the plans are loftier than that with 20 clubs set to feature by 2011, with teams from Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia joining this season's lineup from Brunei, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore.

The region's first commercial league has been set up with an initial input of 10 million US dollars with Fernandes handed the chairmanship.

The Malaysian entrepreneur's experience in opening new businesses and exploiting markets is seen as invaluable to the league's success.

"I'm confident of making money in the first year of the ABL ... And for the fans it's a real thrill if you travel with your fellow supporters to another country, root for your team and come home," he said.

The season, which will run till February, will comprise 15 home and away games with the top four involved in a semi-final playoff series, before the Grand Finale, earmarked for Malaysia.

With basketball's world governing body FIBA considering the launch of a World Club Championships in 2011, Southeast Asian teams could soon find themselves up against NBA giants.

If if goes ahead, the continental champions will compete in a tournament at the end of each year, modelled on FIFA's football World Club Championships, won last year by Manchester United.

"The ASEAN Basketball League is the first of its kind in Asia and a welcome indication of the maturity achieved by our sport," said FIBA secretary general Patrick Baumann.

"It will further boost the popularity of basketball in this area and beyond, while creating new opportunities and dreams for the FIBA family.

"We look forward to seeing new talents and countries emerge in basketball in the next five years as a result of this project."

Each club in the ABL must have seven local players and three others from Southeast Asia, alongside two internationals. A salary cap will be imposed.

It will be a new adventure for ASEAN teams, who rarely get international experience.

Malaysia and the Philippines have semi-professional leagues and the Singapore Slingers used to be part of Australia's National Basketball league, but outside that their exposure has been limited.

Organisers hope that inter-country rivalries can be nurtured to take the game to the next level.

"It's exciting to know that FIBA have endorsed the ABL," said Fernandes, who is also chairman of the Singapore Slingers.

"The winners of the ABL can move on to do battle against other continental champions and that will include your top NBA teams.

"So there could come a day when we'll see the Slingers go up against the Los Angeles Lakers or the Boston Celtics, for example. Wouldn't that be a sight to behold?"

kaiziken_pinas
09-08-2009, 02:48 AM
hahahaha. the writer doesn't know how big basketball is in the philippines. :D

"The winners of the ABL can move on to do battle against other continental champions and that will include your top NBA teams.

"So there could come a day when we'll see the Slingers go up against the Los Angeles Lakers or the Boston Celtics, for example. Wouldn't that be a sight to behold?"

Predicting a 100point blowout.....!

Slingers going up vs the Lakers?

OMG.....!:eek:

raichu08
09-08-2009, 04:03 AM
The writer (martin parry) is smoking weed. Southeast asia's first pro league? sick.

Singapore are bigger hoops posers than RP. When Kobe came there, they want him to play against the Slingers with an asian select team.

So long for the 2009 seaba bottom feeders.

KevinDurant
09-08-2009, 04:21 AM
This ASEAN league can help us in terms of employment for players. But it will also be a way for our SEA counterparts to learn the game more, learn our techniques.

alien space bats
09-08-2009, 05:15 AM
Can Romero afforc Aguilar should he choose to play in this league instead?:p

nardy
09-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Can Romero afforc Aguilar should he choose to play in this league instead?:p

i think Mikee has the money but I do not think he will do any action which could cause friction between him and his former partners with Burger King.

alien space bats
09-08-2009, 06:35 AM
i think Mikee has the money but I do not think he will do any action which could cause friction between him and his former partners with Burger King.

in that case, Japeth can still play as import for the other sea teams.

patay-butiki
09-08-2009, 07:36 AM
not for anything, but i'm not too bullish with the ABL. for one, the travel cost alone will make maintenance of the teams very expensive. add to that the roster: old pba stars, relatively unknown pbl players. and tv coverage at abc5. it'll be difficult to maintain fan support. and that's in the philippines. more so in the other ASEAN countries where basketball isn't even the most popular sport.

the team owners may be loaded with money, but i think this will burn their pockets. it's a fact that the slingers team has so far been a losing proposition, financially speaking.

i'm gonna be pessimistic in this one. but i think the ABL won't even reach the popularity of the mba. in the philippines, that is.

alien space bats
09-08-2009, 07:41 AM
not for anything, but i'm not too bullish with the ABL. for one, the travel cost alone will make maintenance of the teams very expensive. add to that the roster: old pba stars, relatively unknown pbl players. and tv coverage at abc5. it'll be difficult to maintain fan support. and that's in the philippines. more so in the other ASEAN countries where basketball isn't even the most popular sport.

the team owners may be loaded with money, but i think this will burn their pockets. it's a fact that the slingers team has so far been a losing proposition, financially speaking.

i'm gonna be pessimistic in this one. but i think the ABL won't even reach the popularity of the mba. in the philippines, that is.

let's give this baby a chance. after all it'll use FIBA rules yata.

TrueBluePinoy
09-08-2009, 09:32 AM
So the league's maximum target is 20 teams. But each country could only host 2 teams. There are 10 countries who are members of ASEAN. 2 teams per country.

Does that mean they're planning to set up franchises in Burma, Cambodia, and Laos in the future??!:eek::eek:

icebreaker
09-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I would rather name the Philippine Team as Eagles not Patriots. Just my opinion. :D

patay-butiki
09-08-2009, 02:23 PM
ATTENTION: PBL / EX-PBA PLAYERS!!! :D:D:D

http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/200909076206/Sports-News/three-new-members-for-team-barracudas-coach-confirmed.html

Three New Members For Team Barracudas, Coach Confirmed

Written by James Kon
Monday, 07 September 2009 08:03

Bandar Seri Begawan - The final three local players in Brunei's Team Barracudas, that will be representing Brunei in the Asean Basketball league, were revealed last night following an intensive two-hour tryout.

The three local players who impressed assistant coach Wong Yee Chai and made it through the tryout are Benjamin Sim, Lim Aik Hock and Choo Jung
Jian.

The three new players will join Benjamin Lim Chee Choun, Xavier Fong Yeh Leong, Esmund Tan Ka Hong and Ho Hee Lee to complete line up of local players.

There are three places for players that are of Asean descent and another two international slots are to be filled in.

Miss Nadzaty Azma Azeez of Everwide Sports Company, the Barracudas team owner, during an interview had confirmed the coach of the team.

She said, "The coach for the Barracudas is Geraldo Ramos of Philippines. He is still in his home country scouting for players for the Barracudas."

With Brunei's Barracudas team scheduled to start its first match on October 14, the team has to be ready and prepared for the KL Dragon.

Miss Nadzaty Azma Azeez said, "No matter what it takes, we must be ready. We have to showcase Brunei basketball on the world stage."

Some twenty local players turned up for the tryout. Also in attendance to oversee the session were Mr Foo Chee Sin and Adam Albert Chu of Brunei Basketball Association.

Miss Nadzaty Azma Azeez thanked the local players for participating in the tryout and will keep their profiles for future reference as the team will need another five players during the off-season to participate in other regional competitions.-- Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

kaiziken_pinas
09-09-2009, 01:06 AM
ATTENTION: PBL / EX-PBA PLAYERS!!! :D:D:D

http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/200909076206/Sports-News/three-new-members-for-team-barracudas-coach-confirmed.html

wow.... most coaches would be from the Philippines! Hahaha..... anyway, do you guys think that they'll get a player with PBA standards?

I would rather name the Philippine Team as Eagles not Patriots. Just my opinion.

me too. I'd prefer Eagles, but that title is way too common

kaiziken_pinas
09-09-2009, 01:22 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE HAS TO EDIT THIS DAMN PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's not going to be me)

WIKIPEDIA IS GETTING UNRELIABLE FOR PETE'S SAKE!

LOOK AT THIS!

WHO IS THAT IDIOT WHO POSTED THAT NOWITZKI, NORWOOD AND JAWAI WILL BE PLAYING FOR THE PHILIPPINE PATRIOTS?????????

NONSENSE!!!!!!!!

alien space bats
09-09-2009, 02:20 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE HAS TO EDIT THIS DAMN PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's not going to be me)

LOOK AT THIS!

WHO IS THAT IDIOT WHO POSTED THAT NOWITZKI, NORWOOD AND JAWAI WILL BE PLAYING FOR THE PHILIPPINE PATRIOTS?????????

NONSENSE!!!!!!!!

wikipedia is really unreliable. it's not intended for the dumb and gullible. some years ago, while i was doing some research, it listed mars as the third planet.

bolabasket
09-09-2009, 03:06 AM
maybe Nowitzki et. al. are really playing in the off-season to keep in shape :D

rensquared
09-09-2009, 03:37 AM
maybe Nowitzki et. al. are really playing in the off-season to keep in shape :D

Maybe. Just maybe. hehehehe

satria_muda
09-09-2009, 03:51 AM
So the league's maximum target is 20 teams. But each country could only host 2 teams. There are 10 countries who are members of ASEAN. 2 teams per country.

Does that mean they're planning to set up franchises in Burma, Cambodia, and Laos in the future??!:eek::eek:

probably Indonesia 4 club and Philippine 5 or 6 club, something like euroleague where some countries get more club than the other

TrueBluePinoy
09-09-2009, 03:55 AM
probably Indonesia 4 club and Philippine 5 or 6 club, something like euroleague where some countries get more club than the other

I read in the ABL guidelines each country is allowed to set up at least 2 teams. But I do hope this is just for experimental purposes.

The minimum requirements to set up a franchise is:

Franchise fee of 200,000 dollars
The team must be based in a city
The team must have a stadium with a minimum capacity of 4,000
Must be near an international airport

alien space bats
09-09-2009, 05:27 AM
I read in the ABL guidelines each country is allowed to set up at least 2 teams. But I do hope this is just for experimental purposes.

The minimum requirements to set up a franchise is:

Franchise fee of 200,000 dollars
The team must be based in a city
The team must have a stadium with a minimum capacity of 4,000
Must be near an international airport

i think metro manila will play a less significant role in this endeavor as compared to the other metro cities in visayas and mindanao.

my wish list includes Davao Deathsquads and General Santos Yellowfins :eek:

manu_bol
09-09-2009, 05:40 AM
well, if ML Cebu Ninos is considering a PBA franchise, they could look into this (ABL). Franchise fee, salary cap are significantly lesser compared to the PBA.

raichu08
09-09-2009, 06:41 AM

LOOK AT THIS!

NONSENSE!!!!!!!!
and the jersey is SMB

nardy
09-09-2009, 10:12 AM
well, if ML Cebu Ninos is considering a PBA franchise, they could look into this (ABL). Franchise fee, salary cap are significantly lesser compared to the PBA.

Even though the above costs looks like smaller than what a PBA team spends. I could not imagine the extremely high expenses on funding a home-and-away format. So aside from the usual expenses of maintaining a basketball team, there is the airfare, transpo expense, board and lodging of not only the players but of the whole team including the ball boys. And with the baggages and equipment that the team would be bringing for each trip, they would definitely pay for the weight of the excess baggage. And remember this is for international travel which means the expenses would be in US Dollars.

Since Singapore Slingers owner and ABL founder Tony Fernandes also owns Low-cost airline Air Asia, I am assuming he would convince all member teams to use his airline.

An Air Asia two-way All-In Economy Fare (Fare + Airport Tax) from Clark to Kuala Lumpur amounts to PhP 16,469.00 per passenger.

kaiziken_pinas
09-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Even though the above costs looks like smaller than what a PBA team spends. I could not imagine the extremely high expenses on funding a home-and-away format. So aside from the usual expenses of maintaining a basketball team, there is the airfare, transpo expense, board and lodging of not only the players but of the whole team including the ball boys. And with the baggages and equipment that the team would be bringing for each trip, they would definitely pay for the weight of the excess baggage. And remember this is for international travel which means the expenses would be in US Dollars.

Since Singapore Slingers owner and ABL founder Tony Fernandes also owns Low-cost airline Air Asia, I am assuming he would convince all member teams to use his airline.

An Air Asia two-way All-In Economy Fare (Fare + Airport Tax) from Clark to Kuala Lumpur amounts to PhP 16,469.00 per passenger.

anyway sir, the sponsors and team owners are up for the Job. Tony Fernandes is on it.... hahaha.... he's rich..!

Servinio
09-09-2009, 07:47 PM
The Patriots held a practice cum try-out at a gym somewhere in the Malati City area last Monday (August 31).

According to my source, some of those in attendance were jobless PBA players like point guards Christian Coronel, Felix Belano and Froilan Baguion, forwards Rob Wainwright and Neil Raneses and center Mark Andaya. Also trying their luck are Liga Pilipinas players Hafer Mondragon and Roberts Labagala of the Quezon Red Oilers.

There was also a pair of potential imports, one African-American and one tall Caucasian. Their names are unavailable as of the moment.

Remember, the names supplied are still trying out and no new cuts or signings have been made public yet.

nardy
09-10-2009, 06:08 PM
http://www.journal.com.ph/images/ads_client/ad_1231396581_tal_tinyx.gif

September 11, 2009 08:20 PM Friday

Ramos coach ng Brunei sa ABL

http://www.singaporeslingers.com/beta/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/nggshow.php?pid=258&width=100&height=100&mode=

MAGIGING coach ng Brunei Barracudas ang Pinoy na si Bong Ramos sa bagong Association of Southeast Asian Nation Basketball League (ABL).

Si Ramos, isang veteran coach kapwa sa RP at Indonesian basketball circuit, ay lumagda kamakailan sa isang one-year contract sa Barracudas sa pag-asang maigiya ang koponan sa matikas at disenteng pagtatapos sa ABL, ang unang professional league sa rehiyon.

“We’re not one of the strongest but I hope I could help my new team make it to the Final Four,” wika ni Ramos, kasalukuyang nasa bansa para sa maikling bakasyon bago lumipad patungong Brunei, ilang linggo mula nga-yon upang sanayin ang kanyang bagong koponan.

Matapos ang kanyang appointment, kinuha ni Ramos sina countrymen Don Camaso at Francis Adriano, mga dating PBA players, bilang kanyang ASEAN imports, at sa kasalukuyan ay nasa proseso pa siya ng pagpili ng matatangkad na American imports.

“We’re still looking for American imports, we want them tall because we would be relying on them most of the time,” aniya.

Si Ramos ay gumawa ng pangalan sa Indonesian Basketball League kung saan itinanghal siyang 2003 Coach of the Year sa paggiya sa Aspac team sa quadruple championship sa parehong taon.

Naging national coach siya ng Indonesia noong parehong taon at sa kanyang tenure ay nagbigay siya sa powerhouse RP team ng malaking alalahanin sa 2003 Hanoi Southeast Asian Games.

Bago ang kanyang nalalapit na ABL stint, ginabayan ni Ramos ang Garuda Flexi Bandung sa third place finish sa IBL sa kaagahan ng taon at bago ito, ang CLS Knights Surabaya sa `Final Four’ sa IBL din.

Sa kalagitnaan ng kanyang makulay na coaching odyssey, si Ramos ay `winning coach’ sa buwag nang Metropolitan Basketball Association at Fedex sa PBA at naging assistant coach sa Talk N’ Text at Barangay Ginebra.

Gayunman, una siyang nag-iwan ng marka bilang isa sa mga unang Filipino imports sa Indonesia kung saan naglaro siya para sa Pelita Jaya noong 1988, o makalipas ang pitong taon, naging bahagi ng Mapua team na nagwagi ng NCAA championship, kasama si league MVP Leo Isaac.

Sa ABL, si Ramos ay mapapalaban kay RP Patriots counterpart Louie Alas at sa apat na iba pang mahuhusay ring coaches mula sa Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia at Singapore.

topermary
09-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Base on my experience and observation in any countries having a basketball match or league does'nt matter whether one of the Philippine Team is involve, Pilipino audience are always present. For sure in South East Asia, there's a lot of Pilipino willing to spend money just to watch the games.

reamily
09-13-2009, 03:05 PM
But if TV5 broadcast the rp games it will penetrate the phil mainstream as we know Filipinos love to see teams winning esp in international arena thats why Tony Boys investment in ABL as a good alternative after cost risking PBA as it will not run smack to programs of TV5(they can put it in the movie timeslot so no problem)

logre23
09-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Brunei Darussalam Barracudas signs 3 Filipino players for Asean Basketball League - Sep 15, 2009 (by Hector Santos)

Brunei Darussalam Barracudas representing in the Asean Basketball League have completed its Asean import line up by recruiting three Filipino players.
The Filipino basketball players in the Barracudas owned by Everwide Sports Company are Francis Adriano, Don Camaso (198-F-73) and Leonidez Avenido (186-G). The said players played for Philippine Basketball Association.

Under Coach Geraldo Villalon Ramos of Philippines, the Asean-born foreign players in the Barracudas line up are expected to help boost the team with the seven confirmed local players.

Brunei's Barracudas teams are scheduled to start its campaign at the Asean Basketball League on Oct 14 against KL Dragon of Malaysia

http://www.asia-basket.com/Brunei/basketball.asp?NewsID=172029

CoJ
09-15-2009, 01:54 PM
there is a big chance that soon, the ABL would b raiding talent from the PBA.....that will be the ay...personally i like the potentials of the league

kaiziken_pinas
09-15-2009, 02:19 PM
alright, WHO THE HELL ARE our PLAYERS?

other teams are finalizing our rosters while we are yet to reveal one player!

CoJ
09-15-2009, 02:23 PM

yeah i need to know the lineup to, I want to help the UPB patchers in their V3
which includes 10 PBA teams, Smart Gilas, Philippine Patriots, Cebuana Lhulier and Oracle-Harbor Center...

This would be good, though fewer teams, it would work on the season mode, (hope they add more so it would work on the dynasty mode)

nardy
09-15-2009, 02:56 PM

Ekwe, Gaco I know are in. They are still convincing the Flying A and several ex-PBA superstars.

As usual the issue is about the Money. Negotiations are still in progress with several players but the team lost ex-Harbour Centre player Chico Lanete as he just signed up with Burger King for a two-year contract for the coming 35th Philippine Basketball Association.

The ABL would implement a salary cap will be introduced to provide the necessary balance between teams with the top international import per team allowed to earn a maximum US$10,000 monthly paycheck. The teams are pumping in a total of US$10 million to jump-start the league.

The season, which will run till February 2010, will comprise 15 home and away games with the top four involved in a semi-final playoff series, before the Grand Finale, earmarked for Malaysia. The tournament is to be played according to FIBA rules.

durden_tyler
09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
there is a big chance that soon, the ABL would b raiding talent from the PBA.....that will be the ay...personally i like the potentials of the league

Not so fast. Let's first see if they can break it even in the first three years. By the 4th and 5th year we can evaluate if this is indeed a quality league. They have the money indeed and that goes a long way for a fledgling league--- but it's not all-- they need to prove they can provide a quality product.

kaiziken_pinas
09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Ekwe, Gaco I know are in. They are still convincing the Flying A and several ex-PBA superstars.

As usual the issue is about the Money. Negotiations are still in progress with several players but the team lost ex-Harbour Centre player Chico Lanete as he just signed up with Burger King for a two-year contract for the coming 35th Philippine Basketball Association.

The ABL would implement a salary cap will be introduced to provide the necessary balance between teams with the top international import per team allowed to earn a maximum US$10,000 monthly paycheck. The teams are pumping in a total of US$10 million to jump-start the league.

The season, which will run till February 2010, will comprise 15 home and away games with the top four involved in a semi-final playoff series, before the Grand Finale, earmarked for Malaysia. The tournament is to be played according to FIBA rules.

Thanx for the info sir Nards. Ekwe is one of the imports right?

I can sleep now. Thnx a lot:D

Coke_Hero
09-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Brunei Darussalam Barracudas signs 3 Filipino players for Asean Basketball League - Sep 15, 2009 (by Hector Santos)

Francis Adriano, Don Camaso and Leonidez Avenido

do these guys have something left in their tank? Kiko Adriano did fine in his last stint with Red Bull but Don Camaso has been a journeyman ever since he left the PBA. Ditto with Avenido.

durden_tyler
09-15-2009, 04:07 PM
do these guys have something left in their tank? Kiko Adriano did fine in his last stint with Red Bull but Don Camaso has been a journeyman ever since he left the PBA. Ditto with Avenido.

Jobs are still jobs ;) Whatever you say about the quality of these players (and thus, this league) the Filipinos are clear winners here because we dominate this region.

alien space bats
09-16-2009, 02:22 AM
In time, this asian league willl surely leave the PABA behind eating dust. people will identify with the teams more because they carry the name of their flags. unlike in the paba where they use the names of brands like san migol and jinebs-ra, this new league will add a touch of some patriotism here and there which will surely capture the imagination of the idealistic youth. in the near future, i see these brand names advertising in the sidelines instead of maintaining their own teams because admit it, nobody in his right senses watch the paba today. it's crap and obsolete. talents are only wasted on that court. it's time to sing sinatra.

CoJ
09-16-2009, 02:25 AM
In time, this asian league willl surely leave the PABA behind eating dust. people will identify with the teams more because they carry the name of their flags. unlike in the paba where they use the names of brands like san migol and jinebs-ra, this new league will add a touch of some patriotism here and there which will surely capture the imagination of the idealistic youth. in the near future, i see these brand names advertising in the sidelines instead of maintaining their own teams because admit it, nobody in his right senses watch the paba today. it's crap and obsolete. talents are only wasted on that court. it's time to sing sinatra.

The big question would be, is Basketball that big in SEA or we re still a soccer region?

alien space bats
09-16-2009, 02:36 AM
The big question would be, is Basketball that big in SEA or we re still a soccer region?

i am optimistic that basketball and soccer can co-exist in SEA harmoniously. just look at europe. basketball need not be the dominant sport in the region for now. what we drastically need is a format that matches that of europe so we do not stagnate. pba is just wasting the talent of our best players. if this asian league proves to be a competition, either pba evolves with the rest or it packs away. either way, i am the winner hehe.

luzvimindo
09-16-2009, 06:32 AM
http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/200909166776/Sports-News/filipino-coach-three-barracudas-imports-arrive.html

Filipino Coach, Three Barracudas Imports Arrive

Bandar Seri Begawan - With just one month left before the start of the Asean Basketball League, Brunei's Team Barracudas welcomed the arrival of head coach Bong Ramos and three Filipinos import players handpicked to join the team.

Francis Kiko Adriano (6'7") Celedon Camaso (6'11") and Leonidez Avenido (6'8") will be playing a huge part in the Barracudas as the three quotas for Asean imports.

The trio from the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) will join Brunei's contingent of Benjamin Lim, Xavier Fong, Edmond Tan, Presley Ho and Benjamin Sim. They will start training today.

Head coach Bong Ramos said "the three selected imports are dubbed `swingmen' they are versatile and can play the position of guard or forward in the team."

"Compared with ABL players, all three players whom I have selected are of high calibre. I want players who are interchangeable so that they can easily rotate to different positions in various play," he added.

On the local players, the former Indonesian coach of the year 2003 said, "I haven't seen the local players yet, I only saw their profiles from the information that the owner of the team, Miss Nadzaty Azma Azeez, had sent to me. I will need the local players to put up quality games in the league."

With barely three weeks before Brunei's Barracudas first match on Oct 11 against Singapore Slinger, coach Bong Ramos has his hands tied without a full squad of 15 players.

The slots for two international imports and another five local players have yet to be filled.

" I hope that we can get the confirmation of the two international players by Friday. I heard one of the players is 6'11" while the other guy is 6'8"," the coach said.

Present to receive the players were team owner Miss Nadzaty Azma Azeez, team manager Miss Norizah Harun Taylor, assistant coach Wong Yee Chai and the four confirmed local players.

Miss Nadzaty said, "After loads of research and homework in a short space of time, the management is thrilled to have secured the services of the four Filipinos who we believe can wow the Bruneian crowd with their ability and talent."

"In addition, we have one of the most respected coaches in coach Bong whose experience in coaching at the top level in the Philippines will prove to be absolutely invaluable in ensuring that we not only have a competitive team now but also in assisting to develop our local talent," she added.

On the complete roster of Barracudas team she said, "We hope to complete the line up very shortly and we will announce the names when we have made the final decision."

Brunei's Barracudas with support and assistance from Tourism Brunei under the MIPR, Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports, Department of National Registration and Immigration, will head to Kuala Lumpur to take on KL Dragons three days after their opening game.

The first home game for Barracudas will be on Oct 18 against the KL Dragon.-- Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

:eek: whooow!! our filipino players have gone taller all of a sudden..lol..talk about media hype in brunei

durden_tyler
09-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Francis Kiko Adriano (6'7") Celedon Camaso (6'11") and Leonidez Avenido (6'8") will be playing a huge part in the Barracudas as the three quotas for Asean imports.

Haha. Ang gugulang talaga ng Pinoy! (Or kung sino man hype machine ng mga 'to)

Trans: So happy that we have dominated this region for so long, now it's paying off and our scrubs have actually found new jobs!

luzvimindo
09-16-2009, 06:48 AM

Haha. Ang gugulang talaga ng Pinoy! (Or kung sino man hype machine ng mga 'to)

Trans: So happy that we have dominated this region for so long, now it's paying off and our scrubs have actually found new jobs!

hahaha.. i wonder what if they got slaughter and fajardo as imports ..maybe their height measurements will be 7"5 and 7"3 respectively.. lol:D

Silent Killer
09-16-2009, 07:12 AM
lol :D their heights are over exaggerated. haha

kaiziken_pinas
09-16-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm so stupid. I actually believed it at first..... hahaha...^^^^

anyway what are the real heights of those players?

raichu08
09-16-2009, 09:31 AM
avenido around 6'3
Camaso around 6'7

If theyre gonna hype might as well hype realistic, like camaso being an ex fiba asia slam dunk champion

ARISTOTLE
09-16-2009, 09:40 AM
avenido around 6'3
Camaso around 6'7

If theyre gonna hype might as well hype realistic, like camaso being an ex fiba asia slam dunk champion

Adriano around 6'0 or less. Kiko Adriano can still play. He was not given much playing time in the PBA. Camaso was a huge player in the MBA then because he can Start and come Off the bench and contribute. Avenido is still a good player. I dont know why they let go Avenido(PBA). Anyway, its good that OUR PLAYERS WHO WERE DUMPED by the PBA are getting a second chance at their BASKETBALL LIves. They can help their families a lot. Although they are sacrificing a lot working abroad. They are our new OFW's and I salute them.

ricodgame
09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
so they will need OEC's now..:)

mga bagong bayani

dreamwalker
09-16-2009, 02:29 PM
In a couple of decades these other ABL member countries will field local players with filipino blood courtesy of their "imports"......:eek:

ankle breaker
09-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Leo Avenido is only 5'10"
Kiko Adriano is only 5'11"
Don Camaso is only 6'4"

donlyn
09-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Don Camaso is only 6'4"

Leo Avenido - 6'1
Kiko Adriano - 6'0
Don Camaso - 6'6

nardy
09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Adriano around 6'0 or less. Kiko Adriano can still play. He was not given much playing time in the PBA. Camaso was a huge player in the MBA then because he can Start and come Off the bench and contribute. Avenido is still a good player. I dont know why they let go Avenido(PBA). Anyway, its good that OUR PLAYERS WHO WERE DUMPED by the PBA are getting a second chance at their BASKETBALL LIves. They can help their families a lot. Although they are sacrificing a lot working abroad. They are our new OFW's and I salute them.

Leo Avenido was taken-in by Coca-cola last February after he became the star player of the Manila Capitals in Liga Pilipinas, where he even emerged as the most valuable player (MVP) in the one of the legs of the fledgling league. But since the one who gotten him is Binky Favis I think his stay was affected after the Coca-cola players mutinied which led to Favis getting fired ultimately.

And unfortunately Leo is also getting into all sorts of trouble outside the basketball court just like the time he and his beat-up a 2 taxi drivers in QC.

durden_tyler
09-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Leo Avenido - 6'1
Kiko Adriano - 6'0
Don Camaso - 6'6

Originally Posted by ankle breaker
Don Camaso is only 6'4"

than11
09-16-2009, 11:13 PM
6'4" is an underestimate for Don..6'7" is a bit stretch..somewhere between 6'5"-6'6" is fair..:)

brawnie_barracudas
09-17-2009, 06:07 AM
hello everyone

me new in this forum. Is that real height of 3 penoy imports? newspaper in Brunei rong?

nardy
09-17-2009, 06:15 AM
hello everyone

me new in this forum. Is that real height of 3 penoy imports? newspaper in Brunei rong?

from what I really know their height are:

Leo Avenido - 6'1
Francisco Adriano - 6'0
Celedon Camaso - 6'6

but you made me hungry in this rainy day in QC .... I am now craving for 3 balut, durian and several bottles of pale pilsen :D

Cammomile
09-17-2009, 06:16 AM
hello everyone

ur a filipino eh..:D

ankle breaker
09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
hello everyone

do you think RP pro teams will just let go of these guys if they are that tall?

CoJ
09-18-2009, 03:08 PM
In a couple of decades these other ABL member countries will field local players with filipino blood courtesy of their "imports"......:eek:

I think they already are doing that? hehehe

dreamwalker
09-18-2009, 07:51 PM
hello everyone

ur a filipino eh..:D

I thought so too...........:D

Big Ticket
09-18-2009, 09:22 PM
just read josh vanlandingham's tweet that he is waiting for clearance to play in the ABL....dunno to which team though...

alex15
09-18-2009, 10:32 PM
just read josh vanlandingham's tweet that he is waiting for clearance to play in the ABL....dunno to which team though...

Josh I think is also a perfect fir for Smart Gilas, He and Chris can knock down those three's all night...

eindhow
09-19-2009, 01:44 AM
When will the Patriot's complete line-up be complete? The ABL is nearing and from I have read, only Gaco and import Ekwe are the only ones in the roster as of now..

TrueBluePinoy
09-19-2009, 01:46 AM
When will the Patriot's complete line-up be complete? The ABL is nearing and from I have read, only Gaco and import Ekwe are the only ones in the roster as of now..

Chances are it's gonna be composed of unemployed PBA vets and some amateur standouts from the PBL and Liga.

eindhow
09-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Chances are it's gonna be composed of unemployed PBA vets and some amateur standouts from the PBL and Liga.

Yes, I know.. What I mean is WHEN will the line-up be complete..;p

OjiesIII
09-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Leo Avenido was taken-in by Coca-cola last February after he became the star player of the Manila Capitals in Liga Pilipinas, where he even emerged as the most valuable player (MVP) in the one of the legs of the fledgling league. But since the one who gotten him is Binky Favis I think his stay was affected after the Coca-cola players mutinied which led to Favis getting fired ultimately.

And unfortunately Leo is also getting into all sorts of trouble outside the basketball court just like the time he and his beat-up a 2 taxi drivers in QC.

Hope he can find his succes here.. i think its his last chance to pick himself up and ressurect his carrer.. he is very talented basketball player.. i am a fun of his game back in his FEU days.. i really thought he could make it big in the PBA..

ricodgame
09-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Hope he can find his succes here.. i think its his last chance to pick himself up and ressurect his carrer.. he is very talented basketball player.. i am a fun of his game back in his FEU days.. i really thought he could make it big in the PBA..

actually chot reyes likes to use this guy, unfortunately he wants him to become pg. which is he is not.. i can still remember every time he makes a 3 when he was a rookie all of coca cola tigers are jumping up and down..

nardy
09-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Yes, I know.. What I mean is WHEN will the line-up be complete..;p

maybe they are awaiting the college season is over, Coach Louie Alas is still preoccupied with his duties and responsibilities for the Letran Knights.

eindhow
09-21-2009, 06:32 AM
maybe they are awaiting the college season is over, Coach Louie Alas is still preoccupied with his duties and responsibilities for the Letran Knights.

Thanks for that Sir.. Hope they would send a competitive team.. Seeing Gaco there makes me wonder if they really want to compete in the ABL.. I have nothing against Gaco BTW..

The Slingers beat PBA's Coke.. So a team of Coke's level can be beaten by them..

Everyone in the Phil will be dissappointed if the Patriots won't be champions..

maui1856
09-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Here's the Brunei Barracudas team import stat...

click here: Pinoy Sports in Brunei (http://www.maui1856.com/)

BR

patay-butiki
09-21-2009, 11:10 AM
this may be our 2nd team in the ABL. ;)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2514/3940945354_ffa4846875.jpg

http://www.bt.com.bn/en/files/images/photos/2009-09-20/13910s1_.jpg
Ramos: The new coach of BarracudasPicture: BT file

Barracudas need to improve, says Filipino coach
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN
Sunday, September 20, 2009

THE Barracudas will kick off their campaign in the ASEAN Basketball League next month and head coach Bong Ramos needs to double up his effort to make sure that they win against Singapore Slingers, the 2008 Brunei Cup champions.

Ramos, a seasoned coach from the Philippines, arrived here last Wednesday and started to work the next day.

"There are a lot of things to work on the team especially for the locals," said the 48-year-old Ramos after holding his first training session with the team at the Brunei Basketball Association court in Batu Bersurat.

"When I have to pull out the imports, I definitely will have to rely on the locals. I expect the locals to be involved on defence. I can't force them to give me points," explained Ramos.

"We started out on defence and I saw that's one area we have to improve," added Ramos, who brought with him Filipino players Francis Adriano, Celedon Camaso and Leo Avenido, who are joining the Barracudas as imports.

"Basketball is about a game of habit. I told my players not to be afraid of making mistakes. Nobody is perfect. What's important is for them to stay with the system and trust one another," added Ramos.

"I also observed during the shooting drill that their movements weren't on par. I hope the team will be ready when the ABL starts," said Ramos.

"The fitness level of the team has to be improved. I want them to be positive, I know that they can do it. Practice won't make us superstars overnight. What they need is experience which is a long process," he said.

Ramos started out as a player 21 years ago playing for Purefoods when the team was still in the Philippine Amateur Basketball League. Ramos played in Indonesia as an import from 1988-1991.

His coaching career started in 1995 as assistant coach for the Mapua Institute Technology, the same school where he earned his engineering degree in 1985. After one month as assistant coach, he was appointed head coach.

Ramos coached the Aspac team of Indonesia in 2002 and became the national team coach the following year.

He returned to the Philippines in 2004 and was named assistant coach of Ginebra San Miguel in 2005. After six months, he was appointed head coach of FedEx in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) where he coached for one conference. He moved to Talk n' Text as the assistant coach behind Philippine national coach.

Ramos went back to Indonesia last year to coach the CLS Knights in Surabaya. He also handled the Garuda team for two months before accepting the coaching job with Barracudas.

kaiziken_pinas
09-22-2009, 04:16 AM
Here's the Brunei Barracudas team import stat...

click here: Pinoy Sports in Brunei (http://www.maui1856.com/)

BR

wow. that guy is good.

I wonder if WHO THE HELL ARE OUR PLAYERS!

CWILL
09-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Predicting a 100point blowout.....!

Slingers going up vs the Lakers?

OMG.....!:eek:

Wow! That I want to see!

ankle breaker
09-22-2009, 05:07 PM
well lonnie jones doesn't have a stellar collegiate career but he's a legit 7'0" center that can surely give problems to the opposing teams. he joined the 2002 NBA draft loaded with talents. the likes of yao ming, jay williams, carlos boozer, amare stoudemire, caron butler and many more. and obviously he went undrafted and was never taken by an NBA team as a free agent. though he was able to play for the bucks in 2004 summer league but didn't made it.

maui1856
09-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Here's the Barracudas 1st tune-up match between the LinkTech (a solid Filipino Team in Brunei and a Finalist of Brunei Cup 2009)... Cool slam dunk by 7'0" import Jones.

check here: Pinoy Sports in Brunei (http://www.maui1856.com/)

Servinio
09-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Initial roster:

Jerwin Gaco (F, 6'3", De La Salle)
Hafer Mondragon (F, 6'3", Letran)
Virgilio Serios (F, 6'2", UP-Diliman)
Ricky Ricafuente (G, 5'9", TIP-Manila)
Froilan Baguion (G, 5'7", National)
Christian Coronel (G, 5'9", San Sebastian)
Jason Dixon (C, 6'9")

- let's just wait for the official announcement.

grahamtelly
09-27-2009, 02:09 AM
Initial roster:

Jason Dixon (C, 6'9")

wow short team and filled with pg. is sam ekwe in? i hope they could add more height.
and is it true that Jason Dixon (C, 6'9") is already 36 years old?

patay-butiki
09-28-2009, 11:08 AM
oh, ok. so KL Dragons won't have any pinoy imports....

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/html/images/layout01_01.gif

Six Teams To Feature In Inaugural ABL

KUALA LUMPUR, 28 Sept (Bernama) -- Professional teams from six countries would feature in the inaugural ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) to be held from October to February.

The six teams comprise KL Dragons from Malaysia, Brunei Barracudas (Brunei), Satria Muda Britama (Indonesia), Philippine Patriots (Philippines), Singapore Slingers (Singapore) and Thailand Tigers from Thailand.

Organisers announced today that the opening match between Indonesia's Satria Muda BritAma and the Philippine Patriots would be played in Jakarta on Oct 10.

"For a start, six teams will kick of the ABL, but we are targeting for 20 teams to compete in a few years time.

"Though the number of teams participating in small, we have decided to go ahead and start the league instead of just waiting for other teams to register," said ABL chairman Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes after announcing General Electrics as one of the sponsors for the ABL, here Monday.

Tony said though teams from outside Asean, like Japan and Australia had also expressed interest in the ABL, the target of the ABL was to see all Asean countries being represented in the tournament.

"It has been a long-time dream of mine to unite Asean under a single banner of sports, and with the ABL, it will bring a whole new era on how sports is organised and marketed in this region," said Tony who is also the Air Asia supremo and Team Principal of the Lotus F1 outfit.

He said basketball was a very exciting sport and had vast potential as Asean has a population of more than 600 million.

Meanwhile, KL Dragons owner Datuk Wira Dani Daim said his team has targetted a top four finish and had roped in two players from the United States to beef up the squad.

"We have already signed Jamal Brown and in the midst of getting the services of another player. The rest will be local players while National coach Goh Cheng Huat take charge of the team," he said.

The ABL, similar to the well-known United States' NBA League and the EUROLeague Basketball, would provide the winner an opportunity to compete in the international Basketball Federation (FIBA) competitions.

-- BERNAMA

patay-butiki
09-28-2009, 11:28 AM
rensy bajar may play for Indonesia's Satria Muda....

http://thejakartaglobe.com/basketball/satria-muda-turns-to-american-players-for-asean-league-reinforcements/327434

http://thejakartaglobe.com/templates/jakartaGlobe/images/jakarta-globe.gif

September 07, 2009
Sandy Pramuji

Satria Muda Sets Its Sights High
With the inaugural Asean Basketball League less than a month away, Satria Muda Britama is eager to test itself against Southeast Asia’s best teams.

“We’re very serious in preparing the team for the ABL,” Satria Muda coach Fictor Roring said on Monday. “After we clinched the [Indonesian Basketball League] title, I only allowed the boys a week’s rest before starting training again.

“We don’t want to be just an addition in the ABL. We want to achieve something, to be the champion.”

Satria Muda won its fourth consecutive IBL title, and fifth championship overall since the league started in 2003, with a 3-1 series victory against Aspac Jakarta on Aug. 2.

Having asserted its dominance in the domestic game, Satria Muda will now take on five clubs from other Asean countries — the Brunei Barracudas, Kuala Lumpur Dragons, Philippine Patriots, Singapore Slingers and the Thailand Tigers.

Satria Muda and the Singapore Slingers are the only previously established clubs in the tournament, with the other four founded specially for the ABL.

Fictor said that would only make the league more interesting. “I see that almost all the clubs will use their country’s national team players plus imports. I think this will be a very tight and interesting league,” he said.

“The Philippine Patriots, of course, are the strong favorites to win the debut season. The Philippines has been dominating the region for a long time, but I think we can challenge them.”

Each team in the ABL is allowed two non-Asean players, two Asean foreigners, one player with a parent from an Asean nation and seven local players.

Fictor confirmed that Alex Hartman, a 2.01-meter small forward, would return to the club he played for during the 2008 Southeast Asian Basketball Cup, which Satria Muda won.

“We’ve reached a deal and Hartman will be in Jakarta later this month. He’s signed a season contract,” he said.

“We’re also still in talks with [Theo] Little and Filipino guard Rensy Bajar. I hope that we’ll reach deals before the end of this month.”

Little, a center standing 2.08 meters, has played in Germany, Brazil, Jordan, Chile and Mexico since graduating from Arkansas State University in 2007.

Bajar, who currently plays for Philippine Basketball Association club Alaska Aces, previously played in Indonesia. The 33-year-old guard played for Bhinneka Sritex Solo in 2005 and helped lead the club victory in the IBL Tournament, an annual preseason event.

“Rensy is a great guard with strong leadership qualities. I’ve called him several times and he sounded interested in joining us,” Fictor said of the former Philippines national team captain.

Satria Muda begins its ABL campaign with a home game against the Patriots at Britama Arena in Jakarta on Oct. 10 before hosting the Dragons a week later. ABL

Big Ticket
09-29-2009, 12:43 AM
wow short team and filled with pg. is sam ekwe in? i hope they could add more height.
and is it true that Jason Dixon (C, 6'9") is already 36 years old?

wasn't dixon coca-cola's big import a couple of seasons ago? he's a very reliable player down low even if he's old...

TrueBluePinoy
09-29-2009, 01:43 AM
wasn't dixon coca-cola's big import a couple of seasons ago? he's a very reliable player down low even if he's old...

Yes he was. Great team player with a nice soft touch.

astig pinoy
09-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Initial roster:

Jason Dixon (C, 6'9")

wow we have weaks roaster why did not use some good players from UAAP . NCAA or some big players from PBA like samigue eman or lawrence bonus that two guys have a ability sayang lng laging banko sa PBA

C2Hamm
09-29-2009, 08:12 AM
wow we have weaks roaster why did not use some good players from UAAP . NCAA or some big players from PBA like samigue eman or lawrence bonus that two guys have a ability sayang lng laging banko sa PBA

those under contract cannot and will not be able to play for this organization. newly graduating UAAP and NCAA players should be available though. i doubt current students will be allowed to play since the location will make it difficult for studying.

maui1856
09-30-2009, 03:34 AM
And here's another import of Brunei Barracudas that completes the team roster... A 6'9" international import Mike Pilgrim...

check here: Pinoy Sports in Brunei (http://www.maui1856.com/)

TrueBluePinoy
09-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Whoaw! The Barracudas are shaping up to be a major contender with those imports!:eek:

jesronne
09-30-2009, 07:03 AM
those under contract cannot and will not be able to play for this organization. newly graduating UAAP and NCAA players should be available though. i doubt current students will be allowed to play since the location will make it difficult for studying.

who are the guys from uaap that will graduate this year??

dreamwalker
10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Looks like Satria Muda and the Slingers are not just title pretenders but can really put up a big challenge for our Patriots. In fact, credited to have beaten some of our best professional/amateur teams in the past and just recently - With good imports, they are for real.

Servinio
10-02-2009, 03:16 AM
PHILIPPINE
PATRIOTS

Players

Mark ANDAYA (C, 6'6", Letran)
Froilan BAGUION (G, 5'7", National)
Christopher BALUYOT (F, 6'2", San Sebastian-Manila)
Christian CORONEL (G, 5'8", San Sebastian-Manila)
Nathaniel CRUZ (C, 6'5", Mapua Tech)
Dino DAA (F, 6'1", Letran)
Jason DIXON (C, 6'9", Liberty)
Jerwin GACO (F, 6'2", De La Salle-Manila)
Kasim MIRZA (F, 6'3", Santo Tomas)
Hafer MONDRAGON (F, 6'3", Letran)
Neil RANESES (F, 6'2", Visayas)
Ricky RICAFUENTE (G, 5'9", TIP-Manila)
Geremy ROBINSON (F, 6'3", Hawaii)
Erwin SANTA MARIA (6'1", F, Mapua Tech)
Robert WAINWRIGHT (F, 6'3", Solano College)

Coach

Louie ALAS (Adamson)

nardy
10-02-2009, 03:32 AM
PHILIPPINE
PATRIOTS

Players

Coach

Louie ALAS (Adamson)

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/Chespaco/andaya.jpg
so no more BigMac in the PBA buhuhu :(

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:lgMI1WU9CPLyGM:http://www.pba.ph/images/comprofiler/coke/baguion.jpghttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Pqc3_aBNczLbJM:http://www.pba.ph/images/comprofiler/stalucia/coronel.jpghttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:uQY9O4Tugh6DzM:http://www.pba.ph/images/comprofiler/welcoat/wainwright.jpg
.... so Baguion, Coronel and Wainwright decided to try their luck at the ABL.

hmmm nice mix 3 Letran, 2 San Sebastian, 2 Mapua, 1 La Salle, 1 UST, 1 NU, 1 UV, 1 TIP plus 3 US schooled.

kerouac82
10-02-2009, 03:53 AM

http://beeoasis.com/joom/images/stories/karlofffrankenstein.jpg

ARISTOTLE
10-02-2009, 04:05 AM
so no more BigMac in the PBA buhuhu :(

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:lgMI1WU9CPLyGM:http://www.pba.ph/images/comprofiler/coke/baguion.jpghttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Pqc3_aBNczLbJM:http://www.pba.ph/images/comprofiler/stalucia/coronel.jpghttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:uQY9O4Tugh6DzM:http://www.pba.ph/images/comprofiler/welcoat/wainwright.jpg
.... so Baguion, Coronel and Wainwright decided to try their luck at the ABL.

hmmm nice mix 3 Letran, 2 San Sebastian, 2 Mapua, 1 La Salle, 1 UST, 1 NU, 1 UV, 1 TIP plus 3 US schooled.

Well, Koronel and baguion are definitely better pointguards than any of the other PGs in the tournament. Wainwright will do very well. Not unlike other teams, this team can afford not to rely on imports for offense.

Big Ticket
10-02-2009, 04:14 AM
PHILIPPINE
PATRIOTS

Players

Coach

Louie ALAS (Adamson)

this is a pretty good team...very deep if you compare them with the other teams....but since every team can have 2 american imports, success will depend on the imports....

coolcat
10-02-2009, 05:11 AM
PHILIPPINE
PATRIOTS

Players

Coach

Louie ALAS (Adamson)

Neil Raneses is at least 6'4 or 6'5.

b3lowzro
10-02-2009, 06:22 AM
look what a slinger fan just posted on redsports.com (http://redsports.sg/2009/10/01/slingers-ginebra-caguioa-jeffers-basketball/)

With the ABL and the pride of the PBA players, we can hope to see our local players improving quickly. Like Mr Michael Johnson said, we can reach the standard of Philippines in a few years time. It is not an impossible task given that Philippines isn’t a very good basketball nation. It is just a small mountain to climb With coach Arsego’s expertise, give the Slingers a few years time. We will beat the Philippines in basketball.

Michael Johnson here is their General Manager

kaiziken_pinas
10-02-2009, 06:44 AM
look what a slinger fan just posted on redsports.com (http://redsports.sg/2009/10/01/slingers-ginebra-caguioa-jeffers-basketball/)

Michael Johnson here is their General Manager

they can keep dreaming i suppose. they rely heavily on their imports. w/o their imports(example: INTERNATIONAL games, RP-Smart Gilas or Powerade Team Pilipinas vs Singapore NT), do you think they can win against us or even bridge the gap between scores 20-?

They really discriminate us. Look at the other comments in the site. Also they call us a nation of slaves, and that we're on the bottom of the foodchain, yet they cant even beat us in BBall w/0 their imports.

what do you think?:confused:

durden_tyler
10-02-2009, 06:51 AM
PHILIPPINE
PATRIOTS

Players

Coach

Louie ALAS (Adamson)

Eventually they will get a big name player and not pure scrubs (no offense meant, just saying.)

However, as i've kept saying since ABL was born, this is a good venue for players past their prime and others who just can't seem to have a break in the big leagues to still showcase their skills (and most importantly, get paid)

The last team this team needs are imports, the way we dominate this region we should play with a handicap, and doing it all-Pinoy style just might do that trick.

Big Ticket
10-02-2009, 07:27 AM
The last team this team needs are imports, the way we dominate this region we should play with a handicap, and doing it all-Pinoy style just might do that trick.

if the other teams will only be allowed one import, we can still beat them...but if they will have 2 and 1 import is around 6'10, we will have problems matching up with them...

Alex07
10-02-2009, 07:56 AM
PHILIPPINE
PATRIOTS

Players

Coach

Louie ALAS (Adamson)

I taught they will be getting the services of Sam Ekwe

durden_tyler
10-02-2009, 08:13 AM
if the other teams will only be allowed one import, we can still beat them...but if they will have 2 and 1 import is around 6'10, we will have problems matching up with them...

Well yeah... Thing is, being the dominant force in this region i think we have the luxury of sort-of experimenting.

Ultimately, i am for the development of our OWN players. i am just iffy if that is not maximized should we hire one (real good) import. And not to mention, the (high) salary of that player could to Pinoys now.

And hey, if we get bamboozled in the early stages, the Patriots could eventually get an import right?

b3lowzro
10-02-2009, 09:34 AM
they can keep dreaming i suppose. they rely heavily on their imports. w/o their imports(example: INTERNATIONAL games, RP-Smart Gilas or Powerade Team Pilipinas vs Singapore NT), do you think they can win against us or even bridge the gap between scores 20-?

They really discriminate us. Look at the other comments in the site. Also they call us a nation of slaves, and that we're on the bottom of the foodchain, yet they cant even beat us in BBall w/0 their imports.

what do you think?:confused:

its a marketing ploy for the singaporeans for them to support their team despite it's birth pains as a basketball supporting nation and don't mix racism here, its not the issue.

ricodgame
10-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Mirza will play for ABL so will he be still consider as a rookie if he joins the PBA?

patay-butiki
10-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Mirza will play for ABL so will he be still consider as a rookie if he joins the PBA?

yes. i think so. like the mba players before.

Big Ticket
10-02-2009, 11:39 PM
yes. i think so. like the mba players before.

but being eligible for the ROY award is another thing...

grahamtelly
10-03-2009, 01:09 AM
no ekwe? :(

eindhow
10-03-2009, 01:37 AM
PHILIPPINE
PATRIOTS

Players

Coach

Louie ALAS (Adamson)

The line-up is ok.. Just don't know if they can be competitive.. Remember, PBA teams had a hard time versus the Slingers.. Smart Gilas also even though they were with only 10 men/boys..

Is this actually confirmed?? Hihi..;p

paolylo
10-03-2009, 02:47 AM
will they be playing all-Filipino? who are their imports? where's Sam Ekwe?

TrueBluePinoy
10-03-2009, 02:54 AM
will they be playing all-Filipino? who are their imports? where's Sam Ekwe?

They already provided the lineup. Just take a closer look.

noilsen
10-03-2009, 04:56 AM
yeah i was kinda hoping that sam ekwe would be in this lineup too..

Andrew81
10-03-2009, 06:11 AM
im sorry, but i think this team is only good for semi final.

Line up not a championship contender.So I think Satria Muda Britama of Indonesia myt take the 1st ABL Championship.:o.

Hope im wrong.;).

astig pinoy
10-03-2009, 06:19 AM
can use former barangay ginebra imports chris alexander and former barako bulls allan parada

OjiesIII
10-03-2009, 07:45 AM
i rather have Chris Alexander.. for defensive purposes offcourse.. plenty of guys can shoot the ball but few can defend..

neo
10-03-2009, 11:27 AM
i rather have Chris Alexander.. for defensive purposes offcourse.. plenty of guys can shoot the ball but few can defend..

1 import is enough. so we can have a legitimate excuse if the other teams pummel us.

how about adding veterans like:

6'5 manny ramos
6' 0 mon jose
6'2 ronald magtulis
6'1 kiko adriano

kaiziken_pinas
10-03-2009, 01:09 PM
what happened to Flying A?

I thought the Patriots wanted him?

obviously, he might have declined the offer

nardy
10-03-2009, 03:10 PM

PRICE IS NOT RIGHT! :( "binabarat"

DeportGrahamLimMovement
10-03-2009, 03:22 PM

Too busy... the wee hours in the morning in Roligon.

nardy
10-03-2009, 03:28 PM
1 import is enough. so we can have a legitimate excuse if the other teams pummel us.

how about adding veterans like:

6'5 manny ramos
6' 0 mon jose
6'2 ronald magtulis
6'1 kiko adriano

Mon Jose is now the Head Coach of the CEU Scorpions and the Assistant Coach of the U16 Philippine National Team that's going to play at FIBA-Asia in Malaysia.

Kiko Adriano as reported earlier (please back read) is playing for the Brunei Barracudas (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=506346&publicationSubCategoryId=69).

I last heard about Ronald Magtulis is that he's training to become a PBA referee.

I think Manny Ramos gone back home to the US.

neo
10-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Mon Jose is now the Head Coach of the CEU Scorpions and the Assistant Coach of the U16 Philippine National Team that's going to play at FIBA-Asia in Malaysia.

Kiko Adriano as reported earlier (please back read) is playing for the Brunei Barracudas (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=506346&publicationSubCategoryId=69).

I last heard about Ronald Magtulis is that he's training to become a PBA referee.

I think Manny Ramos gone back home to the US.

yep i read about adriano before. the peope i enumerated are basically some of the ex-pba players whom i feel still deserve a slot in the pba more than some of the current players.

tnx for the info.

OjiesIII
10-03-2009, 03:55 PM
PRICE IS NOT RIGHT! :( "binabarat"

Too bad for him.. if i were Jhonny i would go back to Alaska and retire and maybe he can be one of the assistant for Cone.

nardy
10-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Too bad for him.. if i were Jhonny i would go back to Alaska and retire and maybe he can be one of the assistant for Cone.

Some hurt are just hard to heal .....

By Waylon Galvez

Johnny Abarrientos has not given up his desire to play again in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) after spending last season behind the bench of Barangay Ginebra.

Named one of the PBA’s 25 Greatest Players, the 38-year-old Abarrientos is battling for a spot in the star-studded Kings lineup.

Abarrientos had asked Ginebra coach Jong Uichico to play his farewell stint with the Kings after spending last season as the team’s skills development chief.

Uichico reportedly assured Abarrientos that when he finalizes the lineup, he will keep his options open regarding his possible inclusion in the team.

Insisting he has not retired, Abarrientos attended the Kings’ first day of practice at the Green Meadows Gym in Ortigas, Quezon City.

“I’m still hoping pero depende na lang ‘yun kay coach kung kailangan n’ya ang serbisyo ko specially ngayong all-Filipino,” he said.

Abarrientos disclosed an offer from the Singapore Slingers to fill in the spot left by Jason Castro, who signed a three-year deal with Talk ‘N Text.

“Gusto nila ‘yung posisyon ni Jason punuan ko. Pero until now hindi pa din ako maka-decide kung pupunta ako dun,” he said.

“Tempting ‘yung offer e, mahirap tanggihan. Pero kung ako ang tatanungin, isa pa sanang chance na maka-laro ako dito sa Ginebra. Dito ko talaga gusto mag-laro,” Abarrientos added.

Abarrientos, the 1996 Most Valuable Player (MVP), did not specify details of the Slingers’ offer, but mentioned that it isn’t a guaranteed contract.

“Ang risk ko kasi kapag hindi nila ako nagustuhan after 1 or 2 months pwede ma-cancel ‘yung contrata. Baka pagbalik ko dito wala na akong team,” he said.

Abarrientos, who recently signed a 10-month extension, joined the Kings as a free agent two seasons ago. He helped them capture the coveted Philippine Cup at the expense of sister-team San Miguel Beer in six games.

When teammates Mark Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand were loaned to the national team the following conference (Fiesta Cup), Abarrientos became the team’s top point guard.

However, the Kings were eliminated by eventual champion Alaska, Abarrientos’ former team, in the quarterfinal stage.

During his first season with Ginebra, Abarrientos averaged 5.3 points, 3.1 rebounds, the same numbers of assists and 1.4 steals. His career numbers are 11.8 points, 4.1 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 1.8 assists.

Aside from Alaska, Abarrientos also had a stint with Coca-Cola.

link: http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20080916135363.htm

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/manila-bulletin/mi_7968/is_2001_April_24/abarrientos-proves-alaskas-nightmare-vintage/ai_n32866704/

Abarrientos proves to be Alaska's nightmare; Vintage Johnny makes a stinging statement

Manila Bulletin, April 24, 2001 | by Dodo Catacutan, Jr.

IT WAS close to noontime and Johnny Abarrientos had just gotten out of bed. He needed all the rest he can get, you know, after playing almost an entire game just the night before and experiencing cramps creeping from his legs all the way to his abdomen.

The body is resting, but the mind is not. It kept racing back to the events of the previous night, trying to recall everything from the highlights to the smallest of details of what should go down among the most emotionally draining of Abarrientos' career.

It was one of his most memorable games, all right, but Johnny doesn't remember much from it.

"Hindi ko na masyadong matandaan kung ano ang nangyari kagabi," he said, when asked to piece together the details. "Basta ang alam ko, kung nasaan ang bola nandoon ako."

The night, among the most poignant in PBA history, can be remembered for a lot of other things, like the 32 points Danny Seigle had thrown at Red Bull, or perhaps the cold-blooded trey he hit with 6.6 seconds left and the shotclock down to its last tick.

But no one can take this night away from Johnny A. It was his. Not after he played 45 minutes and strung up 15 points, eight rebounds, six assists and four steals each of them with Johnny's signature and special dedications for guys named Tim, Joaqui and Wilfred.

He has never once hidden his disdain, the feeling of betrayal that had haunted him since Alaska traded him and slotman Edward Juinio to Pop Cola. And Johnny never made no bones of the fact that he wanted to get even.

On Sunday night, he got his redemption. He set out and proved that he can still be the player who helped Alaska win all those championships and make it the league's team of the 90s - not the player Alaska thought he was when it dumped him to Pop Cola.

"Gusto ko lang patunayan sa kanila, at gusto ko ring patunayan sa sarili ko, na kaya ko pa," the 5-7 guard said after the 74-65 victory, which booted Alaska out of the All-Filipino Cup and had Pop Cola reaching the semifinals for the first time in three years.

"May nagsasabi kasi na matanda na raw ako, na laos na ako, na hindi na raw nakakalipad si Flying A. At siyempre, kahit papaano nawawalan ng respeto sa iyo ang mga ibang players, iyong mga bata. So iyon lang talaga ang gusto kong ibalik," he added.

Okay, so the trade may eventually work wonders for Alaska in the long run. The organization now has a young, talented team that figures to contend for championships in no time. And it also has a lot of room in the salary cap to improve on it as the years go along.

But that won't stop Johnny from showing what the Aces gave up and what they will miss from hereon when they traded him in the off-season.

Actually, Johnny need not do anything to make Alaska realize that. The Aces should have sensed it with the way the capacity crowd inside the Big Dome rooted for Pop Cola deemed the least popular team in a survey commissioned by the league some years back and not for Alaska.

The game itself was one of those rare matches where game plans, the Xs' and Os', were thrown out the window and players go about it through sheer will and emotion. One of those show-me-how-big-your-heart-is matches we saw once every special while.

"Sabi nga sa akin ni Coach Chot (Reyes), bahala ka na kung anong gusto mong gawin.' Wala ng game plan," Abarrientos said. "Patibayan na lang ng loob iyon. Kung sino ang mas matibay ang dibdib at may hangin sa huli, iyon na ang mananalo."

Besides, no one wanted the win more than Johnny. The Pop Cola dugout at halftime was a cacophony of voices, until Abarrientos spoke and quieted the entire room.

"Isa lang ang sinabi ko sa mga teammates ko," he said. "Sabi ko, mamamatay na ako sa loob pero hindi ako patatalo."

Once the Panthers realized how much Abarrientos wanted the win, they soon rallied around him. So much so that Rudy Hatfield, who fell ill after eating one too many lobsters prior to Wednesday's loss to Alaska, was back to his old self. So was Nelson Asaytono.

Hatfield came away with 14 points and 13 rebounds. The usually laid-back Asaytono came away with 12 and surprised everyone with his intensity on the floor. Even seldom-used Cris Bolado outdid himself with nine points off the bench.

"Nag-apologize nga ako kay Nelson after the game," Abarrientos said. "Sa kagustuhan ko kasing manalo, nasigaw-sigawan ko s'ya sa loob."

Still, everyone in the Pop Cola team had to take the backseat to Abarrientos who was all over the floor Sunday night, hitting baskets, breaking up Alaska plays, stripping opponents, chasing down loose balls and looking very much like the Johnny who routinely scored in the 40s in high school.

His legs were as limp as spaghetti and he was breathing heavily in the endgame. But his mind was as sharp as it ever was, keeping Pop Cola together at a critical point inside the final three minutes when Alaska was falling apart.

"Sa mga ganoong sitwasyon, lamang iyong pagod na pero nakakaisip pa, nakakadiskarte pa," he said. "Iyon ang naging lamang namin at iyon ang nawala sa kanila."

And when it was all over, almost everyone inside the Big Dome, even former teammates like Kenneth Duremdes and Rodney Santos, were happy for him. But no one was happier than Abarrientos.

"Gustong-gusto ko talagang talunin si Coach Tim (Cone). Siyempre, siya iyong mentor namin. At sa galing n'yang mag-scout at mag-prepare ng game plan, maaring talunin mo s'ya minsan pero kapag nagharap kayo uli, siguradong tatalunin ka n'ya.

"Noong nasa Alaska pa si Coach Joel (Banal), sinasabi n'ya kay Coach Tim na kapag nagkakalaban kami sa PBL noon, halos napapanaginipan n'ya ako. At least ngayon, kahit papaano, baka ganoon na rin si Coach Tim. Iisipin n'ya rin ako."

JOHNNY ABARRIENTOS, NOW GINEBRA'S ASSISTANT COACH
Jun 5, '08 2:02 AM
By Joaquin M. Henson
Thursday, June 5, 2008

PBA legend Johnny Abarrientos, now a Barangay Ginebra assistant coach, is itching to return to action.

“I think I’m still good for 10 to 15 minutes a game,” said the 37-year-old guard from Far Eastern University. “I practice every day with Ginebra so I’m in shape. I know retirement is coming and I can accept that. But I’m hoping to play one more year before retiring.”

Abarrientos revealed that his former team Alaska is offering to take him back as a player.

“Jolas (Lastimosa) called me about playing,” said the Flying A. “It would be nice to end up playing for my first team but I’m worried about the future. There’s no spot left in the Alaska coaching staff because they’ve already got Joel Banal, Bobby Bachmann, Luigi Trillo, Jolas and Bong Hawkins. Ginebra has been good to me and I’m already in the coaching staff. I don’t make suggestions directly to coach Jong (Uichico). I go through coaches Allan (Caidic), Juno (Sauler) and Art (de la Cruz). Coach Jong has been very supportive and boss Henry (Cojuangco) inspires us.”

Abarrientos said even as Alaska has retired his jersey No. 14, he can’t forget his trade by the Aces. There was pain at first in leaving the Alaska camp but he eventually got over it and moved on.

Abarrientos said his responsibility is to take care of Ginebra’s guards primarily Paul Artadi, Macky Escalona and Chris Pacana. Occasionally, he shares a thing or two with Jay-Jay Helterbrand and Mark Caguioa.

Veteran guard Rodney Santos is in the US for his wife’s birth. He has played only a game this season and is in the reserve list. Pacana is hurt and can hardly practice.

“I’m trying to build Paul’s confidence in offense,” said Abarrientos. “A lot of our problems are mental. If we set our minds to something, it should be automatic like shooting free throws. I notice we sometimes run out of gas in the end so I suggested to Mark to pace himself.”

Abarrientos said big men Alex Crisano and Billy Mamaril are working on their consistency.

“Alex gets mad at himself when things don’t go right like if he doesn’t get a pass after a good seal,” said Abarrientos. “I told him to control his emotions and just play his game. Nobody’s stronger than Alex and I know his time will come.”

OjiesIII
10-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Some hurt are just hard to heal .....

Nice post.. After all the things he hath done for that franchise still he was let go by the Alaska Aces.. i think that time he can still play but Alaska wants to be on a diff direction and the offer is hard to resist.. its Basketball and its Buisness.. Olajuwan and Ewing was let go by their teams who drafted them in the last days of their playing days.. is was rough but its basketball..

nardy
10-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Nice post.. After all the things he hath done for that franchise still he was let go by the Alaska Aces.. i think that time he can still play but Alaska wants to be on a diff direction and the offer is hard to resist.. its Basketball and its Buisness.. Olajuwan and Ewing was let go by their teams who drafted them in the last days of their playing days.. is was rough but its basketball..

it's more on the "reasons" given for that particular trade, insinuations about him, there's gamefixing, then being in drugs and being addicted to cockfighting and gambling that hurt the guy's repute that time.

in Johnny's case, vengeance is not about business it's really personal.

Abarrientos can’t forgive self on those missed shots
By Nelson Beltran
The Philippine Star 06/09/2006

Johnny Abarrientos still has to get over his boo-boo the morning after blowing away a won ballgame for Coca-Cola and allowing — of all teams — his former squad Alaska Milk to steal Game One of their best-of-five quarterfinals series.

"After 14 or 15 years, this is the first time I experienced this nightmare. Feeling ko pinagreretiro na ako dahil free throw lang di ko ma-shoot," said Abarrientos, referring to his muffed shots that led to the Tigers’ 94-95 loss to the Aces Wednesday.

"Walang excuse dahil beterano ako and I’m supposed to make those foul shots," said the 1996 league MVP whose three missed foul shots in the dying seconds enabled Nic Belasco to steal the game for the Aces.

Ironically, the 5-foot-8 point guard was aching to beat the very organization, which he helped win nine championships only to ship him out in the wake of ugly rumors a few years back.

In a TV interview at halftime, Abarrientos even said he’s yet to get over the trade issue that’s why he always exerts extra effort every time he’s up against his former team.

"Ang hirap kasi, dati me mga bulong-bulungan na diyan sa Alaska na nag-game-fixing daw ako, nagsasabong ako…dumating pa sa point na nagda-drugs daw ako," said Abarrientos.

"Kaya ayoko talagang matalo sa team na ‘to. Although bilang Kristiyano parang masama ang intention ko, pero matalo na sa iba huwag lang sa Alaska," he added.

Abarrientos’ solace is the fact that it was only the series opener and he still has the chance to redeem himself in the next few games.

"If it happened in a do-or-die match in the finals, I would immediately retire even if I still have a live contract. I wouldn’t have the face to show to the management," said Abarrientos.

OjiesIII
10-03-2009, 05:38 PM
it's more on the "reasons" given for that particular trade, insinuations about him, there's gamefixing, then being in drugs and being addicted to cockfighting and gambling that hurt the guy's repute that time.

Yeah! i remember that allegations against the Flying A..

grahamtelly
10-04-2009, 03:14 AM
PHILIPPINE
PATRIOTS

Players

Coach

Louie ALAS (Adamson)

a low budget team :(. I think the Slingers will win the championship.

Silent Killer
10-04-2009, 03:24 AM
we never what could happen

this team has shooters as well and big man that can attract double teams. dont count out on this team.

CoJ
10-04-2009, 03:29 AM

At the end of the day, Johnny A should remember this is business,

patay-butiki
10-04-2009, 12:32 PM
i hope they do good....

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/173783/mirza-wainwright-spearhead-rp-patriots-in-abl#

http://images.gmanews.tv/header/v2/gmanewsdottv_logo.jpg

http://www8.gmanews.tv/webpics/infotech/mirza.jpg
Khasim Mirza, right, soars for a basket while playing for UST in the UAAP. Jeff Venancio

Mirza, Wainwright spearhead RP Patriots in ABL
10/04/2009 | 02:19 PM

University of Sto. Tomas hotshot Khasim Mirza and former PBA player Rob Wainwright will spearhead the campaign of the Philippine Patriots in the ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) Invitational Tournament which will have its grand opening on Saturday in Jakarta, Indonesia.

This was jointly announced Sunday by team owners Dr. Mikee Romero, CEO of Harbour Centre, and Tony Boy Cojuangco, president of ABC-5, as the squad enters the final stage of its preparation for the pioneering regional basketball tournament.

Other members of the team are Froilan Baguion, Christian Coronel, Neil Raneses, Mark Andaya, Ricky Ricafuente, Erwin Sta. Maria, Nat Cruz, Dino Daa and former La Salle star Jerwin Gaco.

Multi-titled Letran coach Louie Alas will call the shots for the Patriots with former PBA superstar Bogs Adornado as one of his assistants.

Though they have plenty of options, the focal point of their offense is understandably anchored on Mirza as well as Wainwright.

Khasim Mirza, right, soars for a basket while playing for UST in the UAAP. Jeff Venancio “Mirza is one of the most underrated players in the UAAP. I like his guts, his game and he moves like a veteran. Besides he has the height and moves," said Romero.

The 22-year-old Mirza averaged 13.5 points and eight rebounds in his final year with the UST Tigers in the UAAP.

“Given more playing time, he will become a star in the league," said Romero.

The Patriots will be beefed up by two American imports who are expected to provide added firepower and stability to the team.

“This is a well-balanced team in the tradition of the Harbour Centre team in the PBL," said Romero, whose franchise has won an unprecedented seven straight PBL championships. “We have the experience, creativity, toughness and the firepower. It will be a fighting team."

Romero and team manager Erick Arejola believe their wards have what it takes to dominate the six-country tournament owing to the country’s tradition and passion in the sport.

But Romero dismissed the notion that most of the members of the team are discards from the pro league.

“Wainwright, Coronel, Baguion, Andaya and Raneses are all talented players and they have a story to tell - they’re all seeking a second chance, so Tony and I are giving them another opportunity to prove themselves and serve the country once again," said Romero. - GMANews.TV

Lebron23
10-04-2009, 12:50 PM
http://www.varsitarian.net/files/8103/tigers_maul_warriors_92_88.jpg

I hope Mirza become a star in the ABL. He's probably going to become a First Round Pick in the 2010 PBA Draft.

The thing that I like about Mirza's game is that he's a good 3 points shooter, he's also one of the best finishers in the UAAP.

And Neil Raneses is also one of my favorite players in the PBL. I hope they will televise the games of the Philippine Patriots.

patay-butiki
10-04-2009, 01:34 PM
"pinoy imports." sounds so nice. like music to my ears... makes you proud to be a pinoy basketball fan. :)

http://www.bt.com.bn/en/local-sport/2009/10/01/filipino-imports-excited-play-brunei-barracudas

http://www.bt.com.bn/en/sites/all/themes/zen/btv3/images/bt-masthead2.png

http://www.bt.com.bn/en/files/images/photos/2009-10-01/l100dcc8.jpg
Reinforcement: Filipino players Leo Avenido (Top), Don Camaso (Middle) and Francis Adriano (Above) will try to help Brunei's campaign in the Asean Basketball League.Pictures: BT/Rudolf PortilloYee Chun Leong

Filipino imports excited to play for Brunei Barracudas
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN
Thursday, October 1, 2009

WITH a little over a week left before their first game in the ASEAN Basketball League (ABL), the three Filipino imports of the Brunei Barracudas are excited to show their hardcourt brilliance when they play tournament favourite Singapore Slingers at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

Veteran players Leo Avenido, Don Camaso and Francis 'Kiko' Adriano, who all played in the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) and the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), arrived with coach Bong Ramos September 15. Their mission is to help the Barracudas, the Sultanate's first professional basketball team, perform well in the ABL.

The ABL, the region's first professional league, will kick off on October 10 in Jakarta, Indonesia and the following day, the tournament will hosted by Singapore Slingers, who will be the biggest test for the Barracudas.

Avenido, standing at 6ft 2in, who is a player in the guard position, will help to control the ball and set the tempo for the team.

"I think that the team still needs improvement.. at least that's what coach Bong said. We will do this as a team and we as imports are here to help out," said Avenido.

"But the main reason why we're playing here is to increase the talent of the local players," added the 31-year-old.

Avenido started out playing basketball on a competitive level at 1998. He was named the rookie of the year and named to the Mythical 5 team in 1999 while playing for the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP).

He entered the PBL in 2001 and was named the rookie of the year playing for Pharmaquick. He moved on to the PBA in 2002 playing for the Coca-Cola Tigers till 2004 before moving to Talk n' Text from 2005 to 2007. His career continued with him landing in Air21 before moving back to play for the Coca-Cola Tigers in 2008 until present.

Camaso, who is the tallest of the Filipino imports, stands 6ft 6in. He is the 1998 ABC-PBA and PBA slamdunk contests champion.

"I'm feeling good and excited as this is my third time here. I really like the place as it is very peaceful," commented Camaso on his take on Brunei.

When asked on what he tthinks of the Barracudas, Camaso replied, "I would like to help this team improve especially help out at the defensive end since I've got height.

"Hopefully I can get a smaller guy to guard so that it gives me an advantage," joked Camaso.

The 36-year-old started out his career in the PBA playing for Talk N' Text in 2000 until 2003. He was then traded to the Alaska Aces where he stayed for a year. His career continued with the Purefoods Chunkee Giants where he played from 2004 to 2006 before landing himself to play for the Red Bull Barako until 2008 before coming to Brunei to play for the Barracudas.

Adriano, standing at 6ft 2in, is a player known more for his defensive stops while playing in the PBA.

"It was when I played for the San Miguel Beermen that we had a lot of scorers on the team. So I had to do the little things such as hustle and defensive stops," said Adriano.

"But when I played for Red Bull, it was different as we could do almost what we wanted as long as we stayed with the system," added Adriano who is better known as Kiko to his teammates.

When asked on what he can say about Brunei, Kiko replied, "It's my first experience coming here but it's all good so far."

The 34-year-old feels that the team still needs time to develop prior to the competition. "The areas that I think need the most improvement in the team is our defence and also probably our one-on-one skills," said Adriano.

"I think that the local players here just need more time to develop. Best is probably to have a long term programme to start from young." said Adriano.

"I also observed that basketball here is more of a past time as if playing for fun compared to the Philippines where everyone gets competitive. Any aspiring player wants to join the professional league," opined Adriano.

Adriano got his first championship in the PBA with the Sta Lucia Realtors in 2001 where he played till 2004.

He moved on to play for the San Miguel Beermen in 2005 where he captured another championship with the team. His last team before coming to Brunei was to play for the Red Bull Barako where he was teammates with Camaso from 2007 to 2008.

The Barracudas will be playing their first game to the delight of the home fans on October 18 against the KL Dragons.The Brunei Times

alien space bats
10-04-2009, 04:02 PM
will ABL be using FIBA rules?

manu_bol
10-04-2009, 04:22 PM
will ABL be using FIBA rules?

most probably, yes.

they're not an nba copycat. :D

Big Ticket
10-05-2009, 08:33 AM
a low budget team :(. I think the Slingers will win the championship.

wow, that's the filipino spirit...keep it up!

OjiesIII
10-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Just to be fair.. i am rooting for the Patriots but i think Slingers is on diff level right now.. they've been together for a while practicing with other proffesional teams.. they have a quality imports to provide everything for them.. but its still basketball anything can happen.

TrueBluePinoy
10-05-2009, 09:36 AM
IMO it's SMB (Satria Muda Britama) and the Slingers which the Patriots need to watch out for. SMB left a bad taste on Mikee Romero's mouth when the former won the 2008 edition of the SEABA Club Championships against his Harbour Centre team due to "technicality". But Satria Muda is sure to be a title contender with the fact it took at least an overtime for SMART Gilas to beat the team in the 2009 FIBA Asia Champions Cup. The new look Slingers have shown they could be at par with the PBA teams (at least in exhibition games). But it remains to be seen if they could play in "real time". But with a brilliant coach Arsego in the bench and chemistry with their side, they're sure gonna be one of the favorites to win the title.

ankle breaker
10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Latest update on PHILIPPINE PATRIOTS:

Players

Brandon POWELL (F, 6'5", Florida)

Latest addition is Brandon Powell of University of Florida. Yes, Brandon Powell the former team mate of Joaquim Noah of the back to back US NCAA champs.

OjiesIII
10-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Former NCAA star, ex-PBA import beef up RP Patriots in ABL
10/05/2009 | 02:56 PM

| | More A member of the 2006 US NCAA champion team and a veteran PBA import will reinforce the Philippine Patriots when they open their campaign against Indonesia in the ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) Invitational tournament on Saturday in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Brandon Powell, who along with Chicago Bull’s Joakim Noah and Utah Jazz’s Corey Brewer helped the Florida Gators win the 2006-07 NCAA championship, is likely to be the Patriots’ main man with his athleticism and deadly shooting from afar.

Backstopping him is Jason Dixon, who played for the Coca-Cola Tigers in the PBA last year.

Brandon Powell The 6-foot-5 Powell, according to coach Louie Alas, is not only a tough defender but also a reliable scorer with his decent outside shooting.

“He’s more of a hustle player who plays with a lot of passion and heart. He will be a big help to our team," said Alas.

The 6-foot-10 Dixon’s familiarity with the Filipinos’ brand of play will come in handy for the Patriots team co-owned by Harbour Centre CEO Dr. Mikee Romero and ABC-5 big boss Tony Boy Cojuangco.

“He used to play with PBA players, so it’s easy for him to adjust with the system of coach Louie," said Romero. “But I still believe that our locals will make the difference in our campaign in the ABL."

Romero is referring to UAAP hotshot Khasim Mirza, Rob Wainwright, Froilan Baguion, Ricky Ricafuente, Erwin Sta. Maria, Nat Cruz, Dino Daa, former La Salle star Jerwin Gaco, Mark Andaya, Hafer Mondragon, Neil Raneses and Christian Coronel.

Jason Dixon Though he’s already 35 years old, Dixon still oozes with confidence and authority in the shaded lane.

“He’s not selfish, he shares his knowledge to his teammates and he’s easy to deal with," said team manager Erick Arejola. “But on the court, he’s a lion, a lion king."

Dixon is a proven go-to guy at the post even during his PBA stint.

“We need his strong inside game because we heard that other teams like Singapore and Indonesia have strong imports too," said Romero. “We have to dominate the boards if we want to dominate the tournament."

Dixon played most of his professional career abroad, spending the last couple of years in the Chinese Basketball Association with the Guandong Southern Tigers where he played alongside New Jersey Nets’ star Yi Jian Lian and Smuch Parker.

Dixon, who also played in Turkey, Cyprus and in Europe, averaged 15.6 points and 9.9 rebounds in his last stint in the CBA. He also saw action in the USBL where he played for New Jersey Shorecats and Portland Wave. - GMANews.TV

Is Brandon Powell considered Fil-am in this Line-up??

c_d
10-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Patriots out to stamp mark in ABL inagural (http://www.malaya.com.ph/oct07/spor4.htm)

STAMPING its mark in the inaugural tournament of the Asean Basketball League is the ultimate goal of the Philippine Patriots.

"It’s always nice to be the inaugural champion of any tournament," said Mikee Romero is managing the team, along with Tonyboy Cojuangco, that will compete in the ABL tournament kicking off this Saturday in Jakarta.

"It’s all about pride. It’s all about fighting for our country," Romero stressed in yesterday’s PSA Forum at Shakey’s U.N. Ave. where he was joined by team manager Erik Arejola, American reinforcement Jason Dixon and locals Rob Wainwright and Khazim Mirza.

Romero’s Harbour Centre team has already won the PBL title a record seven times but he knows anything can happen in the ABL.

"We cannot underestimate the other countries but we have a tough team. Were physical, fast and aggressive," said Romero, also the PBL chairman.

To help him try and achieve the team’s lofty goal are coaches Louie Alas and Bogs Adornado, a pair of rugged imports in Dixon and Brandon Powell, and local standouts.

Adornado will call the shots in the Patriots’ first game in the absence of Alas who is still coaching the Letran Knights in the NCAA.

They include Mark Isip, Donbel Belano, Mark Andaya, Froilan Baguion, Christian Coronel, Neil Raneses, Nat Cruz, Jerwin Gaco, Ricky Ricafuente, Erwin Santamaria, Dino Daa, Haser Mondragon, Mirza and Wainwright.

"This is a fast-paced run-and-gun team. The atmosphere in practice shows how competitive the team is," said Arejola, who also graced the public service program supported by Accel, Pagcor, Outlast Battery and Shakey’s, along with team liaison officer Albert Tirona.

Aside from the Philippines, the other competing teams in the tourney that will end in Feburary are the Brunei Baracudas, Thailand Tigers, Kuala Lumpur Dragons, Singapore Slingers, and Satriamuda Britama Indonesia.

In the Patriot’s opening games, including one against Indonesia on Saturday, Romero said they will try to make a statement.

Wainwright, who has assumed the role of team leader, said: "We’ve got a lot of young guys in the team. We have the tools. We have the talent. I’m gonna try to bring the leadership and try to be an all-around player for the team."

Andrew81
10-06-2009, 03:54 PM
nope..Powell is not a Fil-am..Dixon and Powell are imports..;)

kaiziken_pinas
10-07-2009, 09:42 AM
they've got a big chance of winning it. But guys, anything less than a championship is bad right?

TrueBluePinoy
10-07-2009, 09:46 AM
they've got a big chance of winning it. But guys, anything less than a championship is bad right?

Not too much. It will only hurt our pride as a basketball nation but I think that's about it. The other teams have the luxury of being together for a good amount time which means they have the advantage of both chemistry and cohesion on their side. But to avoid too much criticism, a finals appearance should be the safest placing they need to reach.

kaiziken_pinas
10-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Not too much. It will only hurt our pride as a basketball nation but I think that's about it. The other teams have the luxury of being together for a good amount time which means they have the advantage of both chemistry and cohesion on their side. But to avoid too much criticism, a finals appearance should be the safest placing they need to reach.

Right. Let's tell other forumers to avoid criticizing them. But it would hurt our status as basketball kings in ASEAN region if we dont win it:)

gamerdude
10-07-2009, 01:29 PM
the brunei barracudas would be the darkhorse contenders

Andrew81
10-07-2009, 02:14 PM
I think teams that are going to fight for the 1st ABL Finals will be Satria Muda Britama(5time Champ IBL-Indonesia) and Singapore Slingers (Singapore)becuase of ther team chemistry and good imports.

I think the Slingers will have a hard time beating Satria Muda because the 5 time champs of Indonesia has a good 6'11" and 6'8" imports and of course our very own Rensy Bajar as their point guard.So its a 50/50 for them.:D

About our very own Patriots.I have a doubt about this team to atleast make it to the ABL finals.Its just that they dont have the team chemistry yet.Hope im wrong..:(

alien space bats
10-07-2009, 02:33 PM
I think teams that are going to fight for the 1st ABL Finals will be Satria Muda Britama(5time Champ IBL-Indonesia) and Singapore Slingers (Singapore)becuase of ther team chemistry and good imports.

I think the Slingers will have a hard time beating Satria Muda because the 5 time champs of Indonesia has a good 6'11" and 6'8" imports and of course our very own Rensy Bajar as their point guard.So its a 50/50 for them.:D

About our very own Patriots.I have a doubt about this team to atleast make it to the ABL finals.Its just that they dont have the team chemistry yet.Hope im wrong..:(

I'm rooting for the Burma Human Rights Violators all the way!

Andrew81
10-07-2009, 03:05 PM

:eek:???

donlyn
10-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Racist.

b3lowzro
10-07-2009, 03:25 PM

:confused: is this another joke? (no insult intended)

b3lowzro
10-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Right. Let's tell other forumers to avoid criticizing them. But it would hurt our status as basketball kings in ASEAN region if we dont win it:)

well Indonesia and Singapore will send a strong team (well strong enough for ASEAN standards) kaya don't expect too much at first if ever we are not crowned the first champs of this league, well this Patriots team is a new franchise.

Lebron23
10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
:confused: is this another joke? (no insult intended)

He's a comedian.

bmxsummoner
10-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Racist.

Hold your horses. He actually highlighted the fact that people's rights are being trampled on in Burma, so I think we know which side he's on. Now, I for one would go out of my way to avoid deep political subject on a sports forum, however much of a pop-political junkie I am--but that's me. You can, by your tastes, accuse him of being insensitive, or being loose with how he phrased it; but racist is such a heavy word that you -- we all -- should be more careful with.

alien space bats
10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
well Indonesia and Singapore will send a strong team (well strong enough for ASEAN standards) kaya don't expect too much at first if ever we are not crowned the first champs of this league, well this Patriots team is a new franchise.

theres no way we'll win the championships in its inaugural season. the other countries will simply lose interest if we lord it over as usual. that's why the organizers made sure that we field in a fairly strong team and not a championship contender.

nardy
10-07-2009, 03:57 PM
theres no way we'll win the championships in its inaugural season. the other countries will simply lose interest if we lord it over as usual. that's why the organizers made sure that we field in a fairly strong team and not a championship contender.

ahh "pa-tikim" :D

b3lowzro
10-07-2009, 04:01 PM

so after this season we might see Smart Gilas whipping every team in the league?

Andrew81
10-07-2009, 04:02 PM
cguro nga patikim lang to..:D

Trans:Good Luck Patriots..:D

alien space bats
10-07-2009, 04:06 PM
cguro nga patikim lang to..:D

Trans:Good Luck Patriots..:D

we can be the perennial runner up just to keep the pinoys' spirit up and burning

jramoyo
10-08-2009, 04:12 AM
we can be the perennial runner up just to keep the pinoys' spirit up and burning

it doesn't really matter whoever wins the championship -- the eventual winner will be philippine basketball. almost all of these teams are reinforced by filipino players, and the more competitice SEA basketball becomes, the better for us.

maui1856
10-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Introducing the brunei barracudas full line-up during the team launching yesterday at iLotus Restaurant in Rimba Brunei...

FULL LINE UP:
Francis Adriano (Capt),
Esmond Tan (Vice Capt),
Celedon Camaso,
Leonidez Avenido,
Michael Pilgrim 6'9" (import),
Lonnie Jones 7'0" (import),
Fong Yeh Leong,
Ho Hee Lee,
Lim Aik Hock,
Benjamin Lim,
Benjamin Sim,
Hj Md Badri Hj Mohd Suhaili,
Md Jamri Ramlee,
Muhd Mohzani Abd Ghani,
Soon Kian Leong

coach: Bong Ramos

more on: pinoy sports in brunei (http://www.maui1856.com/)

alien space bats
10-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Introducing the brunei barracudas full line-up during the team launching yesterday at iLotus Restaurant in Rimba Brunei...

FULL LINE UP:
Francis Adriano (Capt),
Esmond Tan (Vice Capt),
Celedon Camaso,
Leonidez Avenido,
Fong Yeh Leong,
Ho Hee Lee,
Lim Aik Hock,
Benjamin Lim,
Benjamin Sim,
Md Jamri Ramlee,
Muhd Mohzani Abd Ghani,
Soon Kian Leong

coach: Bong Ramos

more on: pinoy sports in brunei (http://www.maui1856.com/)

how come 2/3 of the members have import-sounding names?
i

maui1856
10-08-2009, 06:37 AM
how come 2/3 of the members have import-sounding names?
i

Yes kabayan, 3 asean imports from philippines including coach Bong Ramos... I think everybody knows them already... The 3 are Adriano, Camaso and Avenido...

BR

alien space bats
10-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Yes kabayan, 3 asean imports from philippines including coach Bong Ramos... I think everybody knows them already... The 3 are Adriano, Camaso and Avenido...

BR

FULL LINE UP:
Francis Adriano (Capt),
Esmond Tan (Vice Capt),
Celedon Camaso,
Leonidez Avenido,
Fong Yeh Leong,
Ho Hee Lee,
Lim Aik Hock,
Benjamin Lim,
Benjamin Sim,
Md Jamri Ramlee,
Muhd Mohzani Abd Ghani,
Soon Kian Leong

the ones in bold letter, are they brunei subjects (or citizen or whatever) as well?

maui1856
10-08-2009, 06:54 AM
FULL LINE UP:
Francis Adriano (Capt),
Esmond Tan (Vice Capt),
Celedon Camaso,
Leonidez Avenido,
Fong Yeh Leong,
Ho Hee Lee,
Lim Aik Hock,
Benjamin Lim,
Benjamin Sim,
Md Jamri Ramlee,
Muhd Mohzani Abd Ghani,
Soon Kian Leong

the ones in bold letter, are they brunei subjects (or citizen or whatever) as well?

Ohh.. They are chinese but Brunei citizens so they are Locals...

alien space bats
10-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Ohh.. They are chinese but Brunei citizens so they are Locals...

thanks for clarifying.

nardy
10-08-2009, 08:54 AM
September 17, 2009
by Wimbo Satwiko
Satria Muda Finalizes Asean Roster

With domination of its domestic league well in its grasp, Satria Muda took the next step toward being a regional power when it announced its 12-man roster for the Asean Basketball League.

The five-time Indonesian Basketball League champion will carry nine Indonesian players and three imports into the inaugural ABL, which begins Oct. 10 with a home game against the Philippines Patriots at Jakarta’s Britama Arena.

Satria Muda head coach Fictor Roring demanded his players take a positive approach to the competition.

“Have you read the giant banner in our home ground? It’s written ‘Indonesian champion, Indonesia is the champion.’ The club was established with a winning vision, and we want to bring it to fruition,” Fictor said on Wednesday. “I know it will be hard because the Philippines are considered the best team in the region, but I will not say it is impossible to beat the Philippines.”

In addition to re-signing former player Alex Hartman, Satria Muda added 6-foot 10-inch (2.08- meter) American center Theo Little and Filipino point guard Rensy Bajar. The new additions will join the team later this month.

Fictor said he was confident the foreigners would be able to integrate themselves into the team.

“They are professional players who have experience playing in many countries, so I’m certain they will blend with the boys easily,” he said. “We picked Little as we need a big man and he has an impressive background, while Hartman and Bajar are not strangers to us.”

Little played college basketball in the United States for Arkansas State University from 2003 to 2007 before being drafted by NBA D-League team Anaheim Arsenal in 2008. He played for Saudi Arabian club Al Safa last season, averaging 25 points and 15 rebounds per game.

Bajar has experience with Indonesian basketball, having played for Bhinneka Solo during the 2005 IBL Tournament, during which he was named the Most Valuable Player.

Point guard Faisal Ahmad said the local players were also up for the challenge.

“It’s a good opportunity for us, and I will motivate myself to get higher achievements,” he said. “I want to prove that Indonesia can do better than other countries.”

After opening against the Patriots, Satria Muda will play the Thailand Tigers in Bangkok on Oct. 17 before hosting the Kuala Lumpur Dragons on Oct. 25.

Satria Muda ABL Roster

4. Rensy Bajar, PG
5. Faisal J. Ahmad, PG
6. Wendha Wijaya, PG
7. Amin Prihantono, SF
8. Alex Hartman, SG
9. Youbel Sondakh, SF
10. Theo Little, C
11. Galank Gunawan, PF
12. Bonanza Siregar, SF
13. Rony Gunawan, C
14. Welyanson Situmorang, PF
15. Christian Ronaldo Sitepu, SF

Foreign Reinforcements Work Their Way Into Satria Muda’s ABL Lineup
October 02, 2009
by Wimbo Satwiko

Satria Muda’s much-awaited imports have arrived and are expected to fill the holes in the much-decorated club’s lineup as it prepares for the inaugural Asean Basketball League.

The coaching staff’s next order of business is to make sure they jell with the rest of the team.

American imports Alex Hartman and Theo Little arrived in Jakarta on Wednesday, while playmaker Rensy Bajar of the Philippines came a day later, making sure Satria Muda will have a complete roster when it opens league play on Oct. 10.

Hartman and Little will add size to coach Fictor Roring’s lineup, while Bajar will provide quickness in the backcourt. But with exactly a week to go before his team faces league favorite Philippines Patriots at Britama Arena next week, Fictor said it would have been better to have had a full roster much earlier.

“There were changes in their schedule of arrival,” he said.

“It would have been helpful if they had come in earlier, but I’m still confident they can make the proper adjustments despite the delays because they are professional players.”

Having previously played with local clubs, Hartman and Bajar are no strangers to Indonesian basketball.

The 24-year-old Hartman, a 2.01-meter small forward, played for Satria Muda in the 2008 Seaba tournament in Jakarta. The 1.72-meter Bajar, who turns 33 on Tuesday, was drafted by Bhinneka Solo for the 2005 season and led the club to win the IBL Tournament trophy.

Hartman’s defense and outside shooting and Bajar’s playmaking skills, especially with guard Wendha Wijaya recovering from injury, could prove crucial to Fictor’s campaign. Bajar and Faisal J Ahmad will be sharing point-guard duties.

Although he has had stints in Germany, Brazil, Jordan, Chile and Mexico, Little, who stands 2.08 meters, has no experience playing in Southeast Asia. But Fictor believes his height will be an asset.

“He will give us a much-needed boost with his size. He also has a good background as he played NCAA Division One basketball and in the NBA Developmental League,” Fictor said.

The 25-year-old Little, an Arkansas State University alumnus, played for the Anaheim Arsenal in the D-League last year and the Al Safa club in the Saudi Arabia Basketball League, where he averaged 25 points and 15 rebounds.

ABL teams are allowed to field two players from outside the Southeast Asian region, two Asean players, one player who has at least one parent of Asean descent and seven local players. Satria Muda has decided to go with just three imports to complement its nine Indonesian players.

The ABL, which tips off on Oct. 10 in Jakarta and runs through February, will feature six clubs — Satria Muda, the Patriots, the Brunei Barracudas, the Kuala Lumpur Dragons, the Singapore Slingers and the Thailand Tigers.

Teams will play each other three times during the regular season, which ends in January. The top four clubs will then go into a playoff round, with the best-of-five title series set for February.

Satria Muda Beginning To Bond Ahead of Opening Asean Game
October 07, 2009
by Wimbo Satwiko

http://thejakartaglobe.com/media/images/large/20091007224559403.jpg

Satria Muda imports Theo Little of the US, left, and Filipino Rensy Bajar will have to be at their best against the Patriots. (Photo: Afriadi Hikmal, JG)

It’s one thing to play against local competition, an entirely different thing to face the best in Southeast Asia.

Satria Muda, the country’s most successful professional basketball team, has its work cut out for it as opens its campaign in the inaugural Asean Basketball League on Saturday.

The reigning four-time Indonesian Basketball League champion clobbered Pelita Jaya Esia 92-66 in a tune-up game on Tuesday, a walk in the park that certainly won’t be the norm during the ABL season.

Coach Fictor Roring has brought in Americans Alex Hartman and Theo Little to add height to his club, and guard Rensy Bajar from the Philippines to provide speed and experience in the backcourt. Tuesday’s game gave the reinforcements a chance to bond with their new teammates.

“The game was definitely good for us,” Hartman said. “We didn’t know each other before the game, but that improved after we played together.”

Overall, Fictor said he liked what he saw, making special mention of Little’s efforts.

“[Theo] has been very cooperative,” Fictor said. “Since he arrived, he’s always shown enthusiasm. We’ve discussed a lot of things after the training sessions.”

Fictor started Bajar, Hartman and Little with Ronny Gunawan and Youbel Sondakh, who struggled in the early minutes but got better as the game progressed..

Bajar, who had a spell playing professionally in Indonesia a few years ago, said the team needed to work on its chemistry.

“I’ve only had two practice sessions with my teammates, so we need more time to adapt to the system,” the Filipino said.

Hartman said that he was more concerned about technical adjustments.

“We need to work better on defense. We need to get back in transition after we turn the ball over,” said Hartman, who suited up for Satria Muda in a regional tournament in 2008.

“The players are definitely better now than they were the last time I was here,” he added. “Everyone is just bigger and stronger, and the team as a whole is better.”

That’s a good sign for Fictor going into Saturday’s game against the Philippine Patriots, considered favorites to win this year’s ABL. Although Fictor said scouting reports on the Filipinos have been scarce, Bajar was more than willing to share some information.

“They signed up [American] Jason Dixon and they have big players,” Bajar said of the Patriots. “But I like our chances. I think we can beat them.”

Dixon, a 2.06-meter center who has played in the Philippine professional league, was a teammate of Yi Jianlian and former NBA player Smush Parker at the Guandong Southern Tigers in 2002.

He will team up with former University of Florida player Brandon Powell for the Patriots.

After playing the Patriots in Jakarta, Satria Muda will fly to Bangkok for a game against the Thailand Tigers on Oct. 18, before returning home to face the Kuala Lumpur Dragons on Oct. 25.

nardy
10-08-2009, 09:06 AM

Barracudas ready to fight
Yee Chun Leong
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN
Thursday, October 8, 2009

http://www.bt.com.bn/en/files/images/photos/2009-10-08/14118s6_.jpg
Official launching: (Above) The players
and coaching staff of the Brunei Barracudas.
Picture: BT/Raul Padernal

AMERICAN imports Lonnie Jones and Mike Pilgrim are ready to lead the way for the Barracudas, who were formally launched as the Sultanate's first professional basketball team yesterday at I-Lotus Restaurant in Rimba.

"I have to contribute in any way that I can from rebounds, block shots and points for the team. I know that we're ready for our first game in the league," said Jones in an interview yesterday.

"We as imports have to do whatever it takes to win the game," added the seven-footer player.

The equally-talented Pilgrim said that together with Jones, they will provide added height and toughness to the team.

"We will provide more toughness for the team. Not only that but we can also provide more scoring threats and versatility to the team," said Pilgrim.

When asked on what he thought of their first game against the Singapore Slingers, the 25-year-old replied: "We're ready to beat them! I think we won't have a problem as a team but it's going to be a real test as we just have to play hard to try and win the game."

Filipino import Francis 'Kiko' Adriano has been appointed captain of the team.

"I didn't expect to be named the captain but I accepted the role since it was the coach's choice. It is a challenge for me to provide leadership to my teammates," said Adriano.

"The task would be to gel the team and get to know each other better inside and outside the court and be as one family," added the 34-year-old cager.

Together with the two American imports, troika of Adriano, Don Camaso and Leo Avenido will form the starting five of the team.

Other local members in the squad are vice captain Esmond Tan, Benjamin Lim, Xavier Fong, Benjamin Sim, Presley Ho, Lim Aik Hock, Soon Kian Leong, brothers Hj Md Badri and Hj Md Rahmat Hj Mohd Suhaili, Jamri Ramlee and Muhd Mohzani Abd Ghani.

Under the guidance of highly experienced Filipino head coach, Bong Ramos, the locals are also ready to showcase their skills in the league after a month of intensive training.

"They may lack some of the basics that other teams have but they have tried their utmost best in the short space of time that we had and they have applied themselves the best they can," said the 48-year-old Filipino.

"Their role is very important. All I ask of them is to provide me quality minutes with some good defence and hustle. If they can do that then I think we will be in very good shape," added Ramos, who also coached the Indonesian national team.

Brunei Tourism Board CEO Sheikh Jamaluddin Sheikh Mohamed was the guest of honour during the launching.

The Barracudas leave today for Singapore and are scheduled to meet hosts Slingers on Sunday. They will face the KL Dragons on Oct 14.

Local fans will have the chance to watch the Barracudas play against the KL Dragons at the Brunei Indoor Stadium of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex on Oct 18.

The ABL will official start with the match between Satria Muda BritAma from Indonesia and the Philippine Patriots at the BritAma Arena on Oct 10.

The Brunei Times

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:j3Z9RIpsRP09oM:http://www.wwwg1.cn/%E6%96%87%E8%8E%B1/brudir.jpg

Barracudas Ready For Action
Written by James Kon
Thursday, 08 October 2009 10:49

http://brudirect.com/images/stories/news/2009/Oct/08/sports.jpg
Sheikh Jamaluddin being intoduced to
one of the players

"We are ready to play". Those were the final words from coach Bong of Team Barracudas, the first professional basketball team to be established in Brunei Darussalam before flying off to Singapore today to face the Singapore Slingers on Oct 11.

When asked whether the team is prepared, Bong said: "With the time we were given, I can say we are prepared. However I know that Singapore Slingers are a tough team. I haven't collected any information about the team and the way they play. "

American import Lonnie Jones, the Barracudas' seven-foot centre is optimistic about the match-up.

"We are ready to face Singapore Slingers. I think the team have come together in the past weeks and things started to get into place. So I think we can give them a good match up," Jones said.

The official launching of the Brunei's Barracudas team was held yesterday with the unveiling of the confirmed team members and jerseys.

Brunei Tourism Board CEO Sheikh Jamaluddin Sheikh Mohamed was the guest-of-honour for the official launching. Also present was team owner Nadzaty Azma Azeez of Everwide Sports.

The full line-up ofthe 15 men squad are Francis Adriano (captain), Esmond Tan (vice-captain), Celedon Camaso, Leonidez Avenido., Michael Pilgrim, Lonnie Jones, Fong Yeh Leong, Ho Hee Lee, Lim Aik Hock, Benjamin Lim, Benjamin Sim, Hj Md Badri Hj, Mohd Suhaili, Md Jamri Ramlee, Muhd Mohzani Abd Ghani and Soon Kian Leong

The trio of Francis Adriano, Celedon Camaso and Leonidas Avenido from the Philippines will join the American duo of 6'11" Lonnie Jones and 6'9" Mike Pilgrim to form a formidable starting five for the Barracudas.

Sheikh Jamaluddin hoped that Barracudas can help promote Brunei Darussalam through basketball.

"I believed that ESPN will be making coverage on the matches and the name of Brunei will be mentioned to a world-wide audience. Sport tourism is important to Brunei, so we are happy to be involved."

"The Tourism Department has taken the step forward by going to the Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports to open the door for Zaty and her team."

The CEO of Brunei Tourism also said: "I am very proud of the team and I believe that they will do well. I will be looking forward to the games."
A Kobe Bryan fan himself, he added: "I like basketball. Traditionally basketball is a Chinese game but I would like to see more Malays getting involved in the game."
Brunei's first chance to watch the Barracudas in action will be on October 18 at the National Indoor Stadium against the KL Dragons starting at 4pm. Ticket details will be released soon.

Barracudas are owned by Everwide Sports Company and the management is grateful for the support from the various government departments and also the companies from the private sector who have stepped in to assist.

"We are extremely thankful to the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports, Ministry of Home Affairs, Brunei Tourism and the Brunei Basketball Association for their support and assistance. They have certainly made our task a lot easier and we are eternally grateful for that," said Benny Ang, the Barracudas basketball operations manager.

-- Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

Filipino imports excited to play for Brunei Barracudas
Yee Chun Leong
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN
Thursday, October 1, 2009

http://www.bt.com.bn/en/files/images/photos/2009-10-01/l100dcc8.jpg
Reinforcement: Filipino players Leo Avenido (Top),
Don Camaso (Middle) and Francis Adriano (Above)
will try to help Brunei's campaign in the Asean
Basketball League. Pictures: BT/Rudolf Portillo

WITH a little over a week left before their first game in the ASEAN Basketball League (ABL), the three Filipino imports of the Brunei Barracudas are excited to show their hardcourt brilliance when they play tournament favourite Singapore Slingers at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

Veteran players Leo Avenido, Don Camaso and Francis 'Kiko' Adriano, who all played in the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) and the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), arrived with coach Bong Ramos September 15. Their mission is to help the Barracudas, the Sultanate's first professional basketball team, perform well in the ABL.

The ABL, the region's first professional league, will kick off on October 10 in Jakarta, Indonesia and the following day, the tournament will hosted by Singapore Slingers, who will be the biggest test for the Barracudas.

Avenido, standing at 6ft 2in, who is a player in the guard position, will help to control the ball and set the tempo for the team.

"I think that the team still needs improvement.. at least that's what coach Bong said. We will do this as a team and we as imports are here to help out," said Avenido.

"But the main reason why we're playing here is to increase the talent of the local players," added the 31-year-old.

Avenido started out playing basketball on a competitive level at 1998. He was named the rookie of the year and named to the Mythical 5 team in 1999 while playing for the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP).

He entered the PBL in 2001 and was named the rookie of the year playing for Pharmaquick. He moved on to the PBA in 2002 playing for the Coca-Cola Tigers till 2004 before moving to Talk n' Text from 2005 to 2007. His career continued with him landing in Air21 before moving back to play for the Coca-Cola Tigers in 2008 until present.

Camaso, who is the tallest of the Filipino imports, stands 6ft 6in. He is the 1998 ABC-PBA and PBA slamdunk contests champion.

"I'm feeling good and excited as this is my third time here. I really like the place as it is very peaceful," commented Camaso on his take on Brunei.

When asked on what he tthinks of the Barracudas, Camaso replied, "I would like to help this team improve especially help out at the defensive end since I've got height.

"Hopefully I can get a smaller guy to guard so that it gives me an advantage," joked Camaso.

The 36-year-old started out his career in the PBA playing for Talk N' Text in 2000 until 2003. He was then traded to the Alaska Aces where he stayed for a year. His career continued with the Purefoods Chunkee Giants where he played from 2004 to 2006 before landing himself to play for the Red Bull Barako until 2008 before coming to Brunei to play for the Barracudas.

Adriano, standing at 6ft 2in, is a player known more for his defensive stops while playing in the PBA.

"It was when I played for the San Miguel Beermen that we had a lot of scorers on the team. So I had to do the little things such as hustle and defensive stops," said Adriano.

"But when I played for Red Bull, it was different as we could do almost what we wanted as long as we stayed with the system," added Adriano who is better known as Kiko to his teammates.

When asked on what he can say about Brunei, Kiko replied, "It's my first experience coming here but it's all good so far."

The 34-year-old feels that the team still needs time to develop prior to the competition. "The areas that I think need the most improvement in the team is our defence and also probably our one-on-one skills," said Adriano.

"I think that the local players here just need more time to develop. Best is probably to have a long term programme to start from young." said Adriano.

"I also observed that basketball here is more of a past time as if playing for fun compared to the Philippines where everyone gets competitive. Any aspiring player wants to join the professional league," opined Adriano.

Adriano got his first championship in the PBA with the Sta Lucia Realtors in 2001 where he played till 2004.

He moved on to play for the San Miguel Beermen in 2005 where he captured another championship with the team. His last team before coming to Brunei was to play for the Red Bull Barako where he was teammates with Camaso from 2007 to 2008.

The Barracudas will be playing their first game to the delight of the home fans on October 18 against the KL Dragons.

The Brunei Times

nardy
10-08-2009, 09:39 AM
http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/abl_logo.png http://aseanbasketballleague.com (http://aseanbasketballleague.com/010909_news.html)

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/abl_structure_21.jpg

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/outline_head_21.jpg

The ASEAN Basketball League will initially be made up of 6 teams from Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Brunei. In coming years, Indonesia and Philippines will be granted two spots each because of the large population and reach of the game in these countries.

Each team is allowed 5 import players – 2 international and 3 ASEAN with a total squad of 12 players and a travelling squad of 10 players. Teams will compete in a home and away league format culminating in playoffs for the top 4 teams. The tentative league period is October to February every year.

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/outline_img_22.jpg

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/dragons_logo_20.jpg

Team Owner: Westport & Partners
Team Name: KL Dragons (Malaysia)
Coach: Goh Cheng Huat
Stadium: MABA Stadium
Stadium Capacity: 2500
Team Website: www.kldragons.com (http://kldragons.com/) (Coming Soon)

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/satria_logo_22.jpg

Team Owner: Mahaka Foundation
Team Name: Satria Muda BritAma (Indonesia)
Coach: Fictor Gideon Roring
Stadium: The BritAma Arena
Stadium Capacity: 4000
Team Website: www.satria-muda.com (http://www.satria-muda.com/)

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/baracudas_logo_22.jpg

Team Owner: Everwide SC
Team Name: Brunei Barracudas (Brunei)
Coach: Geraldo "Bong" Ramos
Stadium: Brunei Indoor Stadium
Stadium Capacity: 5500
Team Website: www.bruneibarracudas.com (http://www.bruneibarracudas.com/) (Coming Soon)

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/patriots_logo_20.jpg

Team Owner: Dr Mikee Romero & Mr Tony Cojuangco
Team Name: Philippine Patriots (Philippines)
Coach: Francisco Luis Alas
Stadium: Ynares Sports Arena
Stadium Capacity: 3000
Team Website: Coming Soon

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/singapore_logo_20.jpg

Team Owner: Basketball Enterprises Pte Ltd
Team Name: Singapore Slingers (Singapore)
Coach: Frank Arsego
Stadium: Singapore Indoor Stadium
Stadium Capacity: 10,800
Team Website: www.singaporeslingers.com (http://www.singaporeslingers.com/)

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/tigers_logo_20.jpg

Team Owner: Mr Wim Reijnen & Mr. Yut Wanichanond
Team Name: Thailand Tigers (Thailand)
Coach: Coming Soon
Stadium: Nimibutr National Stadium
Stadium Capacity: 6,051
Team Website: www.tigersthailand.com (http://www.tigersthailand.com/) (coming soon)

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/regional_head_21.jpg

Regional media and TV coverage will make the ASEAN Basketball League the perfect vehicle for sponsors and partners to market and expand their businesses across regional boundaries. Supported by blue-chip companies, the ASEAN Basketball League will also be a great medium for corporate hospitality.

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/coverage_img_22.jpg

nardy
10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
http://pemainbolakeranjang.blogspot.com/2009/10/kl-dragons-home-venue.html

Wednesday, October 7, 2009
KL Dragons Home Venue

Its stated on the ABL website that the venue for KL Dragons is MABA Stadium / Putra Stadium. For starter, if the tickets sold out, and the first venue, which is MABA Stadium could not accommodate the full house audience, they are going to change the place (KL Dragons Home) to the second venue which is (at the moment) the Putra Stadium at Bukit Jalil.

From what I've heard the ticket is RM25, and in order to support our home team (KL Dragons) please do wear red clothing! And guys, I think it is also possible for the first home game (this 14th October) to be held at Putra Stadium, that is if the tickets are selling hot "goreng pisang panas" but the ticket online counter hasn't been updated yet (www.tickethotline.com.my). In any case, I'll be updating huhuhu.

So anyway, if anyone ponders of how the Putra Stadium looks like, or how'll they held in there, here a sneak preview of the recent ATP Proton Open that was in Putra Stadium.

o6o60eEwNPQ

I doubt the basketball court would take this long to be prepare but hopefully it will be as big or fun as it sound. Lets wait for the kick off this Saturday, where you can catch it on ESPN (Astro 812) 4pm

Posted by mislan at 10/07/2009 08:28:00 PM

bhinov
10-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Nice looking emblems of Slingers and Thailand. The other teams take us as the favorites to win it all, but i don't think we are. Since the other teams acquired very good imports.

I don't doubt the capabilities of our locals. I'm just unsure of what to predict on this one. Maybe were in the Top 3.

Andrew81
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Guys any news about the line up of Thailand Tigers and KL Dragons?;)

Hope Patriots can atleast wind the 3rd place or atleast runner up this 1st ABL Season.

Satria Muda Britama(indonesia) and Singapore Slingers(Singapore) are favorites to win the 1st ABL Title..

nashill
10-08-2009, 01:43 PM
patriots dept will be the key here...

singapore is a 5 man deep.. that includes al vergara and the 2 imports. people think that slingers are that strong, they are not. they are being pampered by the refs during the exhibition games. also, remember that they are not the same team as last year when they had 6 australians.

grahamtelly
10-08-2009, 01:57 PM
i like the line up of Satria Muda BritAma and Brunei Barracudas, they do have a good american and filipino imports. but Satria Muda BritAma has a big chance of winning it all.

alien space bats
10-08-2009, 02:56 PM
i like the line up of Satria Muda BritAma and Brunei Barracudas, they do have a good american and filipino imports. but Satria Muda BritAma has a big chance of winning it all.

what channel will air the ABL?

grahamtelly
10-08-2009, 03:02 PM
what channel will air the ABL?

ESPN bro.

alien space bats
10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
ESPN bro.

thanks, man. sosyal pala. trans: elitist in contrast with the PBA's mass appeal.

Andrew81
10-08-2009, 03:16 PM
ESPN bro.

Or TV5 every Saturday and Sunday here in the Phils..;)

alien space bats
10-08-2009, 03:20 PM

do you think it will hit off with the fans? my friends dont even know about this league.

my only wish is that the patriots hire younger filipino players as insurance for future national team duties.

neo
10-08-2009, 03:21 PM

OT
star sports used to show pba game of the week in the mid 90s

Andrew81
10-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Patriots leave for Jakarta ABL Tourney
source: mb.com.ph

The Philippine Patriots go to the territory of their long-time rival this Friday as they try to enhance the country’s lofty status in the region in the 1st ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) Invitational Championship in Jakarta, Indonesia.

While they are fully prepared and motivated to face the Indons in their 5 p.m. encounter at the Britama Arena, the Patriots will be without head coach Louie Alas due to his commitment to Letran which is now deep in preparation for the forthcoming Final Four war in the NCAA.

Alas will also miss the Patriot’s game against the Singapore Slingers next week in Singapore but that poses little problem for the Patriots.

“My instruction is very clear, they have to play as one big fighting unit because they will be playing against our long-time rival,” said Alas. “The Indons are very strong, they have been playing together for a long time.”

Without Alas, former two-time PBA MVP Bogs Adornado will call the shots for the Patriots – co-owned by Harbour Centre CEO Mikee Romero and TV-5 (formerly ABC-5) top honcho Tony Boy Cojuangco.

Knowing fully well the odds of playing against the Indons right in their home court, Romero said the Patriots must play at the top of their game and with lots of passion to hurdle their first test in this home-and-away tournament.

“So long that you’re playing for your flag and country, it’s imperative that you have to go out and play with pride and passion, and that’s my message to our players. This is another war that we have to win at all cost.”

Former PBA hotshot Rob Wainwright and UAAP star Khazim Mirza lead the cast that are out to prove something for themselves.

Andrew81
10-08-2009, 03:58 PM
OT
star sports used to show pba game of the week in the mid 90s

Ya thats true,but not anymore..:(

Well atleast ther is ABL now.;)

b3lowzro
10-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Patriots leave for Jakarta ABL Tourney
source: mb.com.ph

The Philippine Patriots go to the territory of their long-time rival this Friday as they try to enhance the country’s lofty status in the region in the 1st ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) Invitational Championship in Jakarta, Indonesia.

While they are fully prepared and motivated to face the Indons in their 5 p.m. encounter at the Britama Arena, the Patriots will be without head coach Louie Alas due to his commitment to Letran which is now deep in preparation for the forthcoming Final Four war in the NCAA.

Alas will also miss the Patriot’s game against the Singapore Slingers next week in Singapore but that poses little problem for the Patriots.

“My instruction is very clear, they have to play as one big fighting unit because they will be playing against our long-time rival,” said Alas. “The Indons are very strong, they have been playing together for a long time.”

Without Alas, former two-time PBA MVP Bogs Adornado will call the shots for the Patriots – co-owned by Harbour Centre CEO Mikee Romero and TV-5 (formerly ABC-5) top honcho Tony Boy Cojuangco.

Knowing fully well the odds of playing against the Indons right in their home court, Romero said the Patriots must play at the top of their game and with lots of passion to hurdle their first test in this home-and-away tournament.

“So long that you’re playing for your flag and country, it’s imperative that you have to go out and play with pride and passion, and that’s my message to our players. This is another war that we have to win at all cost.”

Former PBA hotshot Rob Wainwright and UAAP star Khazim Mirza lead the cast that are out to prove something for themselves.

Goodluck Patriots!!!

Servinio
10-08-2009, 04:59 PM
2009-2010 SCHEDULE

October
10 5:00 PM @ Satria Muda Britama
18 4:00 PM @ Singapore Slingers
25 4:00 PM Thailand Tigers
31 4:00 PM Brunei Barracudas

November
7 4:00 PM Singapore Slingers
15 4:00 PM @ KL Dragons
21 4:00 PM Satria Muda Britama

December
1 4:00 PM Thailand Tigers
5 4:00 PM Satria Muda Britama
13 4:00 PM @ Brunei Barracudas
19 4:00 PM KL Dragons

January
6 8:00 PM @ Singapore Slingers
9 8:00 PM @ KL Dragons
17 4:00 PM @ Thailand Tigers
24 4:00 PM Brunei Barracudas
**END OF REGULAR SEASON**

Note: Schedule subject to change without prior notice. All home games at the Ynares Sports Arena-Pasig City.

than11
10-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I think the Patriots can get atleast 10 wins in the elimination round.

dreamwalker
10-08-2009, 11:55 PM
I think SM-Britama and Singapore Slingers will dispute the first edition of this ABL Championships. Thailand will the a darkhorse and so is the Philippine Katipuneros (Patriots).....:D

KL Dragons and Brunei Barracudas will act as spoilers.;)

kaiziken_pinas
10-09-2009, 10:05 AM
2009-2010 SCHEDULE

October
10 5:00 PM @ Satria Muda Britama
18 4:00 PM @ Singapore Slingers
25 4:00 PM Thailand Tigers
31 4:00 PM Brunei Barracudas

November
7 4:00 PM Singapore Slingers
15 4:00 PM @ KL Dragons
21 4:00 PM Satria Muda Britama

December
1 4:00 PM Thailand Tigers
5 4:00 PM Satria Muda Britama
13 4:00 PM @ Brunei Barracudas
19 4:00 PM KL Dragons

January
6 8:00 PM @ Singapore Slingers
9 8:00 PM @ KL Dragons
17 4:00 PM @ Thailand Tigers
24 4:00 PM Brunei Barracudas
**END OF REGULAR SEASON**

Note: Schedule subject to change without prior notice. All home games at the Ynares Sports Arena-Pasig City.

OKAY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!! TOmorrow @ TV5!!!! I cant wait to see if we're going to win bigtime or if we're going to be humiliated!:D

satria_muda
10-09-2009, 10:42 AM
http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/satria_logo_22.jpg

Team Owner: Mahaka Foundation
Team Name: Satria Muda BritAma (Indonesia)
Coach: Fictor Gideon Roring
Stadium: The BritAma Arena
Stadium Capacity: 4000
Team Website: www.satria-muda.com (http://www.satria-muda.com/)

man...that emblem of Satria Muda for this league suck!!!what's wrong with the cool old emblem( look at my sign) ???

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/images/coverage_img_22.jpg

btw Im doomed if the jaktv is choosed to coverage this league, jaktv is jakarta local tv and only reaching Metro-jakarta area,
we in west java cannt watch it

'anyway goodluck for tomorow game for the patriots ( but not that much bcoz u facing my fav club..:D )

TrueBluePinoy
10-09-2009, 10:46 AM
man...that emblem of Satria Muda for this league suck!!!what's wrong with the cool old emblem( look at my sign) ???

btw Im doomed if the jaktv is choosed to coverage this league, jaktv is jakarta local tv and only reaching Metro-jakarta area,

'anyway goodluck for tomorow game for the patriots ( but not that much bcoz u facing my fav club..:D )

Hey Satria! What do you think are the chances of the other IBL teams joining the ABL? Are they in any way interested?

kaiziken_pinas
10-09-2009, 10:48 AM

we want to start this Tournament in a high note. The Patriots were just formed so dont be surprised if we lose by a big margin!:D Good luck to both teams especially the patriots!

bognut
10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
we want to start this Tournament in a high note. The Patriots were just formed so dont be surprised if we lose by a big margin!:D Good luck to both teams especially the patriots!

with Powell around i think it will end in a riot. :o

kaiziken_pinas
10-09-2009, 11:05 AM
with Powell around i think it will end in a riot. :o

ah crap....:p other teams have taller imports so I think we wont have a prob with that

CoJ
10-09-2009, 12:47 PM
guys any photos of the Patriots, I need the pic since my friends and I are working for the update of UPB Live 08 (tentatively the 10 PBA Teams, Smart Gilas, Singapore Slingers, Philippine Patriots, Cebuana M Lhulier teams and Harbour Center are included, the patchers are also considering adding the Barracudas to the patch, I've already supplied them with the photo of their jersey and their lineup that I got from this thread...)

THANKS...

onepunch
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/eharh5.jpg

CLICK HERE FOR LIVE STREAMING LINK (http://www.punchsports.net/2009/10/watch-abl-season-live.html)

satria_muda
10-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey Satria! What do you think are the chances of the other IBL teams joining the ABL? Are they in any way interested?

I think mostly of them waiting for the succes of this league, beside playing inter-country like this need alot money and not like football clubs in indonesia, mostly basketball clubs in here dont have support from local goverment or sponsors

only few basketball clubs here can afford such luxurious travelling inter-countries like that, for ex;
Pelita Jaya Jakarta
Garuda Bandung
Hangtuah Musi Banyuasin
and probably Stadium Jakarta ( KOBATAMA club = 2nd division league club )

b3lowzro
10-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Louie Alas not joining the patriots vs Slingers and SM Britama? How ironic to his team's name the "Patriots".

Philippine Patriots to take on Satria Muda BritAma and Singapore Slingers without head coach (http://redhoops.com/2009/10/08/patriot-satria-muda-slingers/)

The Philippine Patriots’ head coach Louie Alas will not be traveling with the team to their first two away games of the inaugural ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) in Jakarta and Singapore scheduled for play this weekend and the next.

Louie Alas, who is nicknamed “the ace coach” for his impressive coaching record especially with the Letran Knights in the NCAA basketball league in the Philippines, will be busy preparing the Letran Knights for the coming NCAA Final Four wars.

The former national coach, who turns 46 years old this Saturday, will hand the reigns over to former two-time PBA MVP Bogs Adornado and assistants Ryan Dy and Allan Gamboa.

The Patriots will leave for Jakarta tomorrow for their first game against Indonesia’s Satria Muda BritAma at The BritAma Arena this Saturday, 5pm (Jakarta time). This will also be the opening game of the 1st ASEAN Basketball League season.

Taken from Redhoops.com (http://redhoops.com/2009/10/08/patriot-satria-muda-slingers/)

than11
10-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Louie Alas not joining the patriots vs Slingers and SM Britama? How ironic to his team's name the "Patriots".

Letran is in the Final 4.

c_d
10-09-2009, 04:16 PM
RP Patriots face Indonesians in opener (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=512852&publicationSubCategoryId=69)
(The Philippine Star) Updated October 10, 2009 12:00 AM

JAKARTA, Indonesia – The Philippine Patriots start their title drive against a fancied Indonesia side of Satria Muda Britama today as the ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) Invitational Championship unfolds with a lone inaugural game at the Britama Arena here.

A highly regarded cage power in the region, the Philippines has been installed as the team to beat in the six-nation tournament through the Patriots, co-owned by Harbour Centre CEO Mikee Romero and TV-5 (formerly ABC-5) top honcho Tony Boy Cojuangco.

Coach Louie Alas, however, said all teams are title contenders with the imports expected to boost each team’s chances in the tournament.

“The presence of imports gives everybody equal chances. Besides, we’re still in the getting-to-know stage, everybody is still feeling his way around,” said Alas.

Former two-time PBA MVP Bogs Adornado, however, will call the shots for the team in the Patriots’ first two games since Alas has to finish his previous commitment with Letran in the NCAA.

Heading into the 5 p.m. match with the hosts, Alas is still trying to work on the team’s chemistry.

“We’re still trying to find the right formula for the team but I’m confident the boys will make the right adjustment during the game,” said Alas.

Former PBA star Rob Wainwright and UAAP hotshot Khazim Mirza of UST head the Patriots’ bid along with imports American Jason Dixon, the 6-foot-10 former PBA import, and ex-NCAA star Brandon Powell.

Other members of the team are former La Salle enforcer Jerrwin Gaco, Froilan Baguion, Christian Coronel, Neil Raneses, Mark Andaya, Ricky Ricafuente, Erwin Sta. Maria, Nat Cruz, Dino Daa, Hafer Mondragon and Warren Ybanes.

“This is quite a competitive team but for us to beat Indonesia, we need total team effort. The locals must step up big time and must not depend on our imports most of the time,” said Romero.

For his part, Cojuangco urged the Patriots to play with pride and passion, saying: “They (Patriots) should not allow themselves to be intimidated or be distracted by anyone.”

Former PBA player Rensy Bajar will suit up for the Indonesian team which will be backstopped by imports Alex Hartman and Theo Little.

ARISTOTLE
10-09-2009, 04:19 PM

He has not signed a contract with the PAtriots yet because NCAA rules prohibit live contracts within a live season. So he is not yet the official coach, but As soon as NCAA wars are over, he will sign officially.

b3lowzro
10-09-2009, 04:42 PM
RP Patriots face Indonesians in opener (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=512852&publicationSubCategoryId=69)
(The Philippine Star) Updated October 10, 2009 12:00 AM

brace yourselves for a rout by the slingers, coach bogs has never shown brilliance being a headcoach of a team

neo
10-10-2009, 06:00 AM
brace yourselves for a rout by the slingers, coach bogs has never shown brilliance being a headcoach of a team

how about a rout by the indons?

ARISTOTLE
10-10-2009, 06:06 AM
how about a rout by the indons?

come to think of it when the slingers faced the gilas team, there was no RAMOS, ABABOU, and CAWALING. It was Japeth's first time to play competitve with the team. If you put in the GILAS which spanked the asses of Powerade AGAINST the slingers now, it would be a rout.

Now, the patriots were routed too but against a team who just the preceding day had the momentum and confidence bec of the big win against powerade. So it is a level playing field in the ABL. I will not be surprised of the patriots will win it all.

neo
10-10-2009, 06:17 AM
come to think of it when the slingers faced the gilas team, there was no RAMOS, ABABOU, and CAWALING. It was Japeth's first time to play competitve with the team. If you put in the GILAS which spanked the asses of Powerade AGAINST the slingers now, it would be a rout.

Now, the patriots were routed too but against a team who just the preceding day had the momentum and confidence bec of the big win against powerade. So it is a level playing field in the ABL. I will not be surprised of the patriots will win it all.

my post was an exploration of b3's comment on adornado's coaching ability and not of our patriots ability to be competitive.

ARISTOTLE
10-10-2009, 06:51 AM
my post was an exploration of b3's comment on adornado's coaching ability and not of our patriots ability to be competitive.

yes it is. I did not say u did not.

TrueBluePinoy
10-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Our Patriots" Bigman. :D

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/album.php?aid=116365&id=546803076

w0otz
10-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Our Patriots" Bigman. :D

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/album.php?aid=116365&id=546803076

OMG! :eek:

Lucky bastard. :p:p

astig pinoy
10-10-2009, 09:55 AM
what is timE jump ball of phils patriots

kaiziken_pinas
10-10-2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.punchsports.net/2009/10/watch-abl-season-live.html

NOW!!!!!

lovejones
10-10-2009, 10:34 AM
is that mario wuysang with anthony?

noilsen
10-10-2009, 10:44 AM
im watching the game and in fairness i find it quite exciting... maybe because it has the international feel to it.. and my pinoy pride is getting inside me right now as i am cheering for every play :D i actually might follow this league..

kaiziken_pinas
10-10-2009, 10:49 AM
maybe

kaiziken_pinas
10-10-2009, 10:53 AM
im watching the game and in fairness i find it quite exciting... maybe because it has the international feel to it.. and my pinoy pride is getting inside me right now as i am cheering for every play :D i actually might follow this league..

you should follow this league dude. Support our comPatriots

noilsen
10-10-2009, 11:03 AM
i actually prefer a close game rather than a blowout... atleast it will open the eyes of the SEA people.. and put some interest into the league.. it will also make us pinoys realize that this is no walk in the park..

kaiziken_pinas
10-10-2009, 11:13 AM
i actually prefer a close game rather than a blowout... atleast it will open the eyes of the SEA people.. and put some interest into the league.. it will also make us pinoys realize that this is no walk in the park..

hahaha... anyway, if it's no longer a walk in the park, i just hope we will still retain ASEAN supremacy.:D

noilsen
10-10-2009, 11:14 AM
dont worry... we have a program now.. i trust the SBP :D

kaiziken_pinas
10-10-2009, 11:32 AM
we're up by 10 in the 3rd quarter

reamily
10-10-2009, 11:51 AM
boy Wuysang looks like wally not szczerbiak

wally bayola:D:D:D:D:D:D

kaiziken_pinas
10-10-2009, 12:02 PM
really guys he commentator is mario Wuysang? anyway it was a close and exciting game. Let's support THE PARIOTS!

reamily
10-10-2009, 12:02 PM
celino cruz is good este faisal julius and christiano ronaldo sitepu looks like cardona:D:D:D:D

reamily
10-10-2009, 12:05 PM
really guys he commentator is mario Wuysang? anyway it was a close and exciting game. Let's support THE PARIOTS!

yes indonesias top point guard and indonesia has many good guards but they really need ferdinand for a bigman:D:D:D

b3lowzro
10-10-2009, 12:07 PM
76 - 69 Go Philippines!!!

noilsen
10-10-2009, 12:09 PM
great game.. good win for the patriots.. powell did a good job on shutting down the prolific scorer hartman in the second half.. great inaugural game..

b3lowzro
10-10-2009, 12:16 PM
great game.. good win for the patriots.. powell did a good job on shutting down the prolific scorer hartman in the second half.. great inaugural game..

Yes indeed, but they gave the patriots a scare when the game came close in the closing minutes of the first half. We better watch out for the slingers, Al Vergara would definitely want to show who's one of the premier Point Guards in South East Asia.

PUGOtipm
10-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Jason Dixon missed a lot of point blank shots, but our locals step-up especially the little guys. Brandon Powell top scores with Wainwright providing much needed offense from the locals.

b3lowzro
10-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I was bit disappointed with Khasim Mirza, from what I read in the papers, he's been given so much hype yet he was only given limited minutes and scored a single point.

neo
10-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I was bit disappointed with Khasim Mirza, from what I read in the papers, he's been given so much hype yet he was only given limited minutes and scored a single point.

its either bogs don't like him for being a thomasian (did he play in 2006 finals?) or he's hiding him for the slingers game.

reamily
10-10-2009, 12:40 PM
hehe for me SM britama is the one of the best teams out there, great following great guards no hype:D:D:D

Alex07
10-10-2009, 01:02 PM
dang they almost had us for dinner.. it's Singapore versus Brunei tomorrow I think the best import laced teams

Lebron23
10-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the update.

manu_bol
10-10-2009, 01:12 PM
i just love home and away leagues. it makes the games more exciting. ;)

i can relate with the phil patriots because i am a filipino.

Alex07
10-10-2009, 01:13 PM
yes indonesias top point guard and indonesia has many good guards but they really need ferdinand for a bigman:D:D:D

I agree

CoJ
10-10-2009, 01:18 PM
its either bogs don't like him for being a thomasian (did he play in 2006 finals?) or he's hiding him for the slingers game.

Mhirza only played for UST starting 2007 (was viewed as the replacement for Duncil)......BTW, Bogs is a Thomasian as well, why the hate?

Lebron23
10-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Here's the Official Box Score.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=154058983&c=0-7412-0-97600-0&pool=-1

nashill
10-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Yes indeed, but they gave the patriots a scare when the game came close in the closing minutes of the first half. We better watch out for the slingers, Al Vergara would definitely want to show who's one of the premier Point Guards in South East Asia.

barroca will disagree with you :D

he was shutdown by barroca last time

ARISTOTLE
10-10-2009, 01:34 PM
barroca will disagree with you :D

he was shutdown by barroca last time

Even Casio can shut him down.

FILIPINOMAZTER
10-10-2009, 02:40 PM
ngek, kung gilas cguro yan tambak yan

Trans: good game, it was a close game to be honest

alien space bats
10-10-2009, 03:11 PM
we won? nice...

OjiesIII
10-10-2009, 05:13 PM
we won? nice...

Yeah! we won but its a ugly win for us.. we could have lose that game.. our line-up is a mess.. powell in not that good.. Gaco is playing the power forward and he is very undersized.. cmon.. we can do better than that.. but a win is a win.. will take it...

patay-butiki
10-10-2009, 11:55 PM
dixon is already way past his prime. i think he's not in game shape, as reflected in his inaccurate jumpers and slo-mo moves inside the paint.

powell only 3 weeks ago was playing in a minor BAP-connected local tournament as another fil-sham candidate (he reportedly claimed to have filipino grandparents).

wainwright reportedly asked 200,000 pesos a month from BK. so the patriots must be paying him more or less the same amount. perhaps, after dixon, he's the next highest paid player in the team. i think powell will play for 100,000 pesos or less.

enjoyable game. great crowd support (altho the stadium wasn't filled). hope the abl won't go the mba way. an NBA-type home-and-away league that bodes a lot of promise for city(in this case country)-based fan support but is way ahead of its time and thus, will have to fold down because of exuberant costs. :(

Andrew81
10-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Guys any link of ABL game today?Barracudas vs Slingers?:)

paolylo
10-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Guys any link of ABL game today?Barracudas vs Slingers?:)

the game was on ESPN Star Sports and Slingers blew out the Barracudas from a second half blitz. can't find any link a while back.

Andrew81
10-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Oh well, Slingers beat Barracudas 87-69

"SLINGERS top scorers"

Michael Leblanc 20 pts 10 rbs
Kyle Jeffers 15 pts 20 rbs 1blk

"BARRACUDAS top scorers"

Michael Pilgrim 16 pts
Leo Avenido 15 pts 5 ast
Lonnie Jones 13 pts 5 blks

alien space bats
10-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Did they use FIBA rules? how many minutes in a quarter?

Andrew81
10-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Did they use FIBA rules? how many minutes in a quarter?

ABL Uses Fiba Rules.:)