PDA

View Full Version : expectations from your NT

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 01:41 PM
what are your expectations from your NT in this eurobasket?
mine (Israel) are quarter finals so we might make it to the world championship but for that we'll probably need to surprise croatia/greece in group A to make it more reasonable to reach the quarter finals (and ofcourse not losing to FYROM) but the fact Caspi isn't playing and Meir Tapiro(&hi's tons of experience) has retired makes it pretty hard but if burstein will be at hi's best, halperin won't let down, eliyahu will learn what def means&green won't get injured, again then it might be possible with the Israeli fighting spirit who knows..

pep
09-05-2009, 01:48 PM
the fact Caspi isn't playing and Meir Tapiro(&hi's tons of experience) has retired makes it pretty hard but if burstein will be at hi's best, halperin won't let down, eliyahu will learn what def means&green won't get injured, again then it might be possible with the Israeli fighting spirit who knows..

Yep, Israel lacks height and bench, and therefore injuries or an up-tempo fast game could hurt your chances.

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Yep, Israel lacks height and bench, and therefore injuries or an up-tempo fast game could hurt your chances.

our def is also one big disadvantage espescially in the paint with green who isn't tough enough, afraid to get injured and eliyahu which doesnt really know what the word def means, amit tamir same pretty much and the only one that can make good def under the baskets, kuzikaro is unfortuantly too short to do something. our game should rely on quick attacks,in long ones it'll probably be up to eliyahu&halperin and maybe burstein, green and pnini here and there

T.W.Is.M.
09-05-2009, 02:15 PM
mine (Israel) are quarter finals so we might make it to the world championship but for that we'll probably need to surprise croatia/greece in group A to make it more reasonable to reach the quarter finals (and ofcourse not losing to FYROM) but the fact Caspi isn't playing and Meir Tapiro(&hi's tons of experience) has retired makes it pretty hard but if burstein will be at hi's best, halperin won't let down, eliyahu will learn what def means&green won't get injured, again then it might be possible with the Israeli fighting spirit who knows..

Actually I think that the do-or-die match will b against Russia. I'm not impressed by the russian team at all and I think Israel with its well known fighting spirit has a chance 2 do it. I believe your team will beat FYROM and advance 2 the 2nd round, u will also beat Germany or Latvia(whoever advances) and the difficult part will b 2 eliminate the reigning champions!

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Actually I think that the do-or-die match will b against Russia. I'm not impressed by the russian team at all and I think Israel with its well known fighting spirit has a chance 2 do it. I believe your team will beat FYROM and advance 2 the 2nd round, u will also beat Germany or Latvia(whoever advances) and the difficult part will b 2 eliminate the reigning champions!

well it's not going to be easy to beat russia, first their coach knows the israeli players pretty well and second, even though they lost their most important players from the winning team in 07 they're still one of the strongest NTs but we did beat croatia in the same rnd last championship then i guess it is possible, and dirk nowitzki isn't participating in this championship so it's possible to beat em (germany), but first we must beat FYROM don't forget :) they got pretty strong and i hope there won't be any surprises on this one.

Srle
09-05-2009, 04:20 PM
To not embarrassing ourselves like in the last Eurobasket.We must qualify for world championship at least.

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 04:22 PM
To not embarrassing us like in the last Eurobasket.We must qualify for world championship at least.

where are you from? :) your profile says yugoslavia... i guess you're talkin bout serbia... if im not wrong serbia lost in the first gruop rnd after losing to israel

Srle
09-05-2009, 04:40 PM
It was still Yugoslavia when i joined to this site:D Yes Serbia.We didn't pass first group.We were eliminated by you.

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 04:47 PM
It was still Yugoslavia when i joined to this site:D Yes Serbia.We didn't pass first group.We were eliminated by you.

you got talented team and our only advantage on you was the fighting spirit, you came to this game like these two points are yours and you just need to wait 40 min to make it official :)

g.g
09-05-2009, 05:33 PM
you got talented team and our only advantage on you was the fighting spirit, you came to this game like these two points are yours and you just need to wait 40 min to make it official :)I think the most difficult game for Israel would be against Fyrom, if they do that, they have plenty of chances to reach even quarter finals.

As for my team, firstly I would like them to play some fast inspiring bb. I would be happy if they reach medals, and I want the GOLD! Do I ask much?:D

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I think the most difficult game for Israel would be against Fyrom, if they do that, they have plenty of chances to reach even quarter finals.

As for my team, firstly I would like them to play some fast inspiring bb. I would be happy if they reach medals, and I want the GOLD! Do I ask much?:D

i guess you're right
we don't have high expectations against you guys or against croatia, with croatia our chance is to catch them on a wick day, with you we need to stay close since most of your games are on low score in the money time everything would be possible as long we stay tight, and that is not going to be easy at all cuz you guys are really strong even without some of your stars..but thats pretty much your biggest disadvantage, the low score.. cuz mostly you don't create big enough gap from the other team but you still got a very strong def to keep this gap till the end. this time you got some younger players so i believe you might surprise with a gold medal but i don't think you should worry if you don't even win a medal because you're creating a very strong team for the next time and for long years which will be very hard to beat

Gyroscope
09-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Greece will reach, one way or another, the QF. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the end of the road for them...:rolleyes:

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Greece will reach, one way or another, the QF. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the end of the road for them...:rolleyes:

that's true but i also wouldn't be surprised if you'll win a medal, but as i said you're building a great team for the following years

Mindozas
09-05-2009, 07:38 PM
In best case - medal
In worst - 9-12 places
In most probable one - 5-8 places and maybe WC ticket

KWSN-Men
09-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Important players missing, new and inexperienced players taking their place, guided by a new coach with different mentality.

I guess a WC ticket will a success considering that this means 5th place, just 1 place lower than 2007 when the team had a full roster.

fasoulaki
09-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I guess a WC ticket will a success considering that this means 5th place, just 1 place lower than 2007 when the team had a full roster.

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/images/web/Events/10/FWCM/_org/road_turkey.gif

Having a look on this diagramm, I would say that the first 6 teams qualify for the WC.

And I guess that if Turkey reaches one of the first six spots even the team ranked 7th will qualify.

I would judge it a big success if Greece qualifies for the WC. I would like to see how this team will perform next year having Diamantidis, Papaloukas, Vasilopoulos & Tsartsaris on board.

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 08:31 PM
http://turkey2010.fiba.com/images/web/Events/10/FWCM/_org/road_turkey.gif

Having a look on this diagramm, I would say that the first 6 teams qualify for the WC.

And I guess that if Turkey reaches one of the first six spots even the team ranked 7th will qualify.

I would judge it a big success if Greece qualifies for the WC. I would like to see how this team will perform next year having Diamantidis, Papaloukas, Vasilopoulos & Tsartsaris on board.

turkey has a strong NT so i guess 7th place will give a WC ticket

Alyosha12
09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
After all the injuries i would have to say WC qualification my personal wish top 5.

ArkadiosV2
09-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Top5 + 1 wild card if I'm not mistaken.

Expectation:

1. Make it to the World Championship 2010
2. Make a double digit fast breaks in the entire tournament
3. Make one shot before shot clock goes under 4", in the entire tournament.
4. Spanoulis to top the turnover category of the tournament.

fasoulaki
09-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Top5 + 1 wild card if I'm not mistaken.

On the diagram posted above the wild card spots are shown separately and only if you count all of them you get the right amount of participants.

24 -> 6 teams x 4 groups

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 08:57 PM
ok lets make it easier to understand
1-6 gets you a WC ticket, if Turkey which automatically got a ticket finished in the top 6 then 1-7 give you a ticket to the WC

fasoulaki
09-05-2009, 09:07 PM
ok lets make it easier to understand
1-6 gets you a WC ticket, if Turkey which automatically got a ticket finished in the top 6 then 1-7 give you a ticket to the WC

On top of that there are 4 wildcards which will be somehow distributed to the 5 FIBA zones.

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 09:08 PM
On top of that there are 4 wildcards which will be somehow distributed to the 5 FIBA zones.

i still cant undestand this wildcards shit

Markoishvili
09-05-2009, 09:11 PM
i still cant undestand this wildcards shit

You don`t need to because Israel won`t be getting one anyway. Israel needs to finish Top 6 or Top 7 (if Turkey is among best 6) to qualify for World Championship.

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 09:14 PM
You don`t need to because Israel won`t be getting one anyway. Israel needs to finish Top 6 or Top 7 (if Turkey is among best 6) to qualify for World Championship.

the fact israel won't get one doesnt mean i dont want to understand it T_T

fasoulaki
09-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I think the distribution criteria for the wild cards are mainly based on commercial considerations.

So if a big & rich industrialized country fails to qualify FIBA gives them a wild card to promote basketball in this country.

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 09:27 PM
I think the distribution criteria for the wild cards are mainly based on commercial considerations.

So if a big & rich industrialized country fails to qualify FIBA gives them a wild card to promote basketball in this country.

sounds like euroleague's contracts with teams it's just that FIBA isn't supose to be a buisness but an INTL organization

KWSN-Men
09-05-2009, 10:26 PM

I think the wildcards have more to do with the countries' history in basketball, not so much popularity...

MaccabiTA
09-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I think the wildcards have more to do with the countries' history in basketball, not so much popularity...

either way its stupid cuz these NTs get what they dont deserve

g.g
09-05-2009, 11:48 PM
The whole qualification thing is a joke anyway. How on earth you have 2 x Oceania teams (they don't really have to play against anybody to qualify)....
3 x African and 3 x Asian teams (all 6 of them they would had possibly finished in the bottom 6 places in a 18 teams Eurobasket)

Picek
09-06-2009, 12:09 AM
3 x African and 3 x Asian teams (all 6 of them they would had possibly finished in the bottom 6 places in a 18 teams Eurobasket)no they wouldn't..
maybe we should have a EC instead of WC..:rolleyes:

g.g
09-06-2009, 12:39 AM
no they wouldn't..
maybe we should have a EC instead of WC..:rolleyes:They have proved themselves so many times....like the Olympics qualification last year? Let me think, did they won any game? Or maybe, did they lost any game under 15 points? I don't really remember! Did all European teams got all the spots even against teams like PR, New Zealand, Brazil?
Let me put it in another way to you. Even China, the best Asian team would had NO chance to reach top 6 in this Euro and qualify.

ArkadiosV2
09-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Funny thing is that all the rest of continents bitch about Europe getting the most (deserved) spots.

The only teams from Oceania, Africa and Asia who can actually beat a mid-low level Eurobasket team are China, Australia and Lebanon.

The best thing to do should be throwing Oceanic teams (Australia, NZ that is) into the Asian continent (like in football) and add 1 spot for Asia and the 2nd one from Oceania should go to Europe.

It will be cruel not to see Russia or Germany in next season's WC because of one tournament in which they will be missing their superstars.

g.g
09-06-2009, 12:49 AM
no they wouldn't..
maybe we should have a EC instead of WC..:rolleyes:It should had been along those lines: Home nation, 3 x previous WC medalists, 10 x Europe, 5 x Americas, top 6 x the rest of the world by having to play all against each other. No wild cards, no favours, much stronger WC!

Victorious
09-06-2009, 12:56 AM
It should had been along those lines: Home nation, 3 x previous WC medalists, 10 x Europe, 5 x Americas, top 6 x the rest of the world by having to play all against each other. No wild cards, no favours, much stronger WC!

25 teams? hmm:rolleyes:

g.g
09-06-2009, 01:03 AM
25 teams? hmm:rolleyes:Hey boss, they are 25...should I leave it?....LEAVE IT:D

Dtown
09-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Funny thing is that all the rest of continents bitch about Europe getting the most (deserved) spots.

The only teams from Oceania, Africa and Asia who can actually beat a mid-low level Eurobasket team are China, Australia and Lebanon.

Didn't Nigeria beat Serbia last WC (and smoked Lebanon for that matter), then only lose by 1 to Germany in the knockout stage?

Europe is by far the best region, but when comparing the 8th-10th best European teams to the best in Asia and Africa, I think it's closer than some would like to admit.

Lewis
09-06-2009, 02:26 AM

I don't know what's funnier the fact that you have such Egocentric (or should I say EuroCentric) ideas, or that you didn't even mention "Iran" and "Jordan" among those who can beat a mid-low level European team

you just make me LOL, all day long.

Picek
09-06-2009, 03:11 AM
It will be cruel not to see Russia or Germany in next season's WC because of one tournament in which they will be missing their superstars.so f***ing what?

why they didn't lineup their stars if WC is so fricking important to them..
and putting word cruel with not seeing Germany on WC really makes me think again about you IQ and the fact whether you are sane or not..

pohani komarac
09-06-2009, 03:58 AM

it have more with buisnies than history....croatia lost against spain in 2005 because of buisnies. because serbia (they deserved to get willd card), italy and turky were alredy out and spain was supose to have next euro basket and have about 8 time biger mareket by population + strandard. turky was heldind next world championship + biger population while italy more population, standard plus posible next wc. fiba just didn't want to have troubles with invitations and that's why lamonica fucked us in quaterfinals. but let's look at the others who got invitation besides serbia. croatia finished 7 (first 6 were directley qualifiyed), we beat turkey and italy quite easily and by history with all respect in europ still only lithuania and serbia can macth croatia and still we didn' get wc...history my ass...buisnies my friend...you can say i'm crazy or what ever but you will see it one day that i'm right;). the same reason why 26th and 27th on list are not in 30 euroleague teams and than you ad oune who droped ot of competition and count how many times hemofarm and zadar got screwed

g.g
09-06-2009, 08:45 AM
it have more with buisnies than history....croatia lost against spain in 2005 because of buisnies. because serbia (they deserved to get willd card), italy and turky were alredy out and spain was supose to have next euro basket and have about 8 time biger mareket by population + strandard. turky was heldind next world championship + biger population while italy more population, standard plus posible next wc. fiba just didn't want to have troubles with invitations and that's why lamonica fucked us in quaterfinals. but let's look at the others who got invitation besides serbia. croatia finished 7 (first 6 were directley qualifiyed), we beat turkey and italy quite easily and by history with all respect in europ still only lithuania and serbia can macth croatia and still we didn' get wc...history my ass...buisnies my friend...you can say i'm crazy or what ever but you will see it one day that i'm right;). the same reason why 26th and 27th on list are not in 30 euroleague teams and than you ad oune who droped ot of competition and count how many times hemofarm and zadar got screwedAm with you, cynical but true.

Alyosha12
09-06-2009, 08:47 AM
I don't know what's funnier the fact that you have such Egocentric (or should I say EuroCentric) ideas, or that you didn't even mention "Iran" and "Jordan" among those who can beat a mid-low level European team

Why don't you make me lol a bit and tell me which team off this list Jordan and Iran could beat rofl.
They are on the level of Finland and Belgium and GB good for a surprise here and there but in now way, shape or form are they better then any mid level Euro team.

Spain
Lithuania
Turkey
Slovenia
Serbia
Greece
Croatia
France
Russia
Poland
Italy
Latvia
Israel
Montenegro
Macedonia
Germany
Belgium
GB
Bulgaria
Finland

elaj
09-06-2009, 09:50 AM
I expect from Slovenia to fight every game like it would be their last. That's all I expect. If they give 120% and they lose, I'll be satisfied, but if they don't play to their maximum and lose... they better don't show up back in Slovenia. :rolleyes:

FIBA Europe Basket
09-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Didn't Nigeria beat Serbia last WC (and smoked Lebanon for that matter), then only lose by 1 to Germany in the knockout stage?

Europe is by far the best region, but when comparing the 8th-10th best European teams to the best in Asia and Africa, I think it's closer than some would like to admit.

I've been watching the Americas tournament and I honestly don't think that any team there could finish any higher than 9th at this Eurobasket. Granted, Argentina is a special case because with a full roster they are a top 2 or 3 team probably.

BTW, FIBA Americas says that Dominican Republic will probably get one of the 4 wild card spots. That is because they will field a starting lineup of players that have all played in the NBA so they will get a wild card.

That's just another funny thing to me because they had 4 guys that had played in the NBA in the Americas tournament and did not even qualify and the level at Eurobasket is significantly higher.

Anyway, that leaves 3 wild cards for Europe. So Europe should have 9 places and I suppose possibly 10 based on what Turkey does.

But still, honestly the level of the Americas region is so far from Europe it's not even funny. And the Asian, African, and Oceania regions are even worse, especially Oceania.

FIBA Europe Basket
09-06-2009, 12:22 PM

Iran and Jordan? They would have a lot of trouble beating a mid level Euro team. It's possible but I would guess they win maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 games at best.

Wu-Tang
09-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Troll on:

BTW, FIBA Americas says that Dominican Republic will probably get one of the 4 wild card spots. That is because they will field a starting lineup of players that ave all played in the NBA so they will get a wild card.

That's just another funny thing to me because they had 4 guys that had played in the NBA in the Americas tournament and did not even qualify and the level at Eurobasket is significantly higher.

I can't argue that I follow any other major international basketball events other than the one starting tomorrow and the FIBA WC, but this fact sounds interesting. I searched the wiki after reading your post and my hypothesis would be that you are refering to the following players: Francisco Garcia (G), Trevor Ariza (SF), Charlie Villanueva (PF), Al Horford (C)?
Utterly mystical that a squad consisting of four NBA players can not make it directly to the WC through their regional international championship.

Troll off.

As far as my expectations with the Serbian NT are concerned, my honest belief is that they truly seem as one of the NT's at the EB that belong to the very core group of those unpredictable ones.
My expectations albeit, after seeing a couple of preparation games, leads me to believe as well as expect that they indeed should be able to reach the quarter-finals. Everything beyond that stage is above my expectations.

Wu-Tang
09-06-2009, 12:35 PM

Picek
09-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Francisco Garcia (G), Trevor Ariza (SF), Charlie Villanueva (PF), Al Horford (C)?

Ariza didn't play a minute, he wasn't on the team..
Garcia didn't play against Canada in do or die game..

Srle
09-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Sacramento Kings didn't allow him to play because of some small finger injury :rolleyes:

ArkadiosV2
09-06-2009, 05:07 PM

When was the last time Iran or Jordan beat a European side? Which current Eurobasket team could any of them beat?

so f***ing what?

why they didn't lineup their stars if WC is so fricking important to them..
and putting word cruel with not seeing Germany on WC really makes me think again about you IQ and the fact whether you are sane or not..
Don't worry about my mental state, soon enough you will crawl back to your cave, as always, eating your own underwear ;)

Picek
09-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Don't worry about my mental state, soon enough you will crawl back to your cave, as always, eating your own underwear ;)wow.. your trash talk really explains your low IQ problems..
even a first grade kid can do better then that.. you are pathetic..

Lewis
09-06-2009, 07:11 PM

very true though, he's referring to Luis Flores, ex-NBA as well. The Other ex- NBA (Sammy Mejia) didn't play

FIBA Europe Basket
09-07-2009, 07:16 AM

Luis Flores also played in the NBA. So 4/5th's of their starting lineup consisted of NBA players and they failed to qualify. FIBA Americas is saying Ariza would be added for the World Championship, giving them 5 out of 5 starting lineup of players that have played in the NBA and so they are saying that FIBA will approve them for a wild card.

fastbreak
09-07-2009, 08:37 AM
I expect the 9th european Gold medal for Serbia. I understand its the youngest team on the tournament without all the NBA players but I believe in this team.

ArkadiosV2
09-08-2009, 11:34 AM
So far, so good :D

1. Bykov, S. 5,0
2. Skele, A. 5,0
3. Gasol, M. 5,0
4. Spanoulis, V. 5,0

Keep up the good work, don't let me and Big Lebowski down :cool:

Joško Poljak Fan
09-08-2009, 11:58 AM
So far, so good :D

1. Bykov, S. 5,0
2. Skele, A. 5,0
3. Gasol, M. 5,0
4. Spanoulis, V. 5,0

Keep up the good work, don't let me and Big Lebowski down :cool:
hmm... he'll have to put in some extra effort not to get passed by Lakovič after todays game :p

Fedfan
09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
My expectations are for the greek media to rip this team apart after losing in the quarterfinals.
My hopes is for a WC spot.

the wildcards is all about the loby.

ArkadiosV2
09-08-2009, 08:41 PM
hmm... he'll have to put in some extra effort not to get passed by Lakovič after todays game :p
Sorry dude, but my guy is world class compared to yours. 5-1 easily.:cool:

wyopeq
09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Expectations from your NT
---------------------------------

Keeping their good form until the championship is over.

LARISSA F.C.
09-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Winning a medal would be great, but I would be satisfied even if Greece get a spot in Turkey's World Chamipionship and coach Kazlauskas succeeds to pass along his bb idiosyncrasy to the team

The Spanish Inquisitor
09-09-2009, 09:45 AM
To not embarrassing ourselves like in the last Eurobasket.We must qualify for world championship at least.

Classic! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3j363HWQM)

ArkadiosV2
09-18-2009, 09:51 PM
And Spanoulis gets on his thrown again :D
And Greece makes it to WC2010... I'd say this team has satisfied all my expectations so far.

fasoulaki
09-18-2009, 10:28 PM
I'd say this team has satisfied all my expectations so far.

Exactly, From now on they are overachieving.

KWSN-Men
09-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Important players missing, new and inexperienced players taking their place, guided by a new coach with different mentality.

This is what I said before the tournament started, so I am happy...

This team with all absentees would be going for gold.

This team with the former coach would be joining Lithuania probably...

g.g
09-18-2009, 10:34 PM
this is what i said before the tournament started, so i am happy...

This team with the former coach would be joining lithuania probably...no, i want more, I want to see the Spanish leaving heads down.

Fedfan
09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
This is what I said before the tournament started, so I am happy...

This team with the former coach would be joining Lithuania probably...

I agree completely.

And I had even lower expectations than you.:)

damelo
09-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Since we qualified for the WC2010, we can't say we didn't make our main objectives.

But, seeing how we started, how Spain played after Pau and Rudy's recovery... Let's say we could be on that podium over Greece or Serbia. We have that kind of potential. It's a good thing, young guys proved to be worth their late call in the team(Diot especially), and their development will be interesting. Let's hope we are finally out of this mess of qualifications, etc...

Serbia could become in 5 years the new Spain, only they have to keep players together during those years. But, the potential in this special squad is huge.

ArkadiosV2
09-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Expectation:

1. Make it to the World Championship 2010
2. Make a double digit fast breaks in the entire tournament
3. Make one shot before shot clock goes under 4", in the entire tournament.
1. Check
2. Check
3. Check
4. Check

I am happy

gatos
09-20-2009, 11:01 PM
1. Check
2. Check
3. Check
4. Check

I am happy

LOLOLOLOL

Spanoulis was top by far in TO. That was a great list to do:D
Only if he could reduce the amount of TO's he commits he would be even better

http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/default.asp?cid={DF277FCB-940D-4423-A455-45461E1C59CA}&pageID={DCB6733B-9E04-4E97-AEB9-46F823D48B74}&compID={D166E39E-2323-4863-B229-76357A926FA2}&season=2009&statCat=TO