PDA

View Full Version : Foreign National Team in PBA?

alien space bats
08-19-2009, 06:52 PM
I have a suggestion for the Board of Directors of the Philippine Agaw Buko Association to win back viewers. Why don't they invite a foreign national basketball team as guest contender in one of the PBA conferences? This will be a good crowd drawer since smart gilas is also playing next conference. they can invite a middle eastern team like lebanon or syria or even qatar. i suppose it's going to be a tough conference since we're allowed 1 import for each team, right? no height limit. the guest team could be a club team if national teams arent available. for sponsorship, any local or international company can shoulder the expenses of the guest team. motolite seems supportive of endeavors of this kind. much better if we invite another team from the east like korea or taiwan. so, we get:

Alaska Milkmen
Ginebra Kings
Burger King Whoopers
Coca Cola Tigers
Purefoods Giants
Rain or Shine Painters
Barako Bull
San Miguel Beermen
Sta. Lucia Realtors
Talk 'n Text
Smart GIlas
Club Lebanon/Qatar/Syria
Club Taiwan/Korea/Japan

I know fans would love this. It'll give them the false sense of hope that PABA is trying to improve its games to match up well with foreign teams, when in truth, this endeavor is just a sure money maker. a win-win situation for fans, PABA. on the side, it will also help improve smart gilas than just playing with philippine agaw buko players. what do you think?

than11
08-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Foreign club teams would be busy participating in their own mother leagues by then..not feasible enough..

b3lowzro
08-20-2009, 12:48 AM
PBA teams played against their foreign counterparts several years ago. First there was Nicholas Stoodley of USA and Adidas of France. The second came in when Noli Eala stood as chairman of PBA, he invited a Korean, Chinese and a Serbian D2 league clubs. It featured a tournament format, and Alaska won the mini tourney during the off season. The third wave came when there was a tie up w/ the KBL, it featured several teams in the PBA & the KBL. Matches of these teams were counted as exhibition matches.

I bet everything went futile cause there was no continuity of these programs.

raichu08
08-20-2009, 01:50 AM
KBL/CBA/ LBF/JBL etc teams are half hearted when they play against PBA Teams in the Philippines. They want to avoid injury. the same way that PBA Teams are half hearted when they play abroad.

durden_tyler
08-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Doable but would be too costly. Who will finance them the entire season (or conference?) Unless there is a major company (international?) that is willing to risk it?

i don't see it happening except if it's a 10-day mini-tournament event of sorts..

donmar
08-20-2009, 06:28 AM
I think PBA teams played against foreign teams without the knowledge of the fans.. they usually just come to Manila and play or the PBA teams set up their own trips and play overseas as part of their preparation... and the PBA has nothing to do with it.. its just the teams who decide what they're doing every off-season... like Talk n Text, they have that thing in the United States almost every year...

LordOfLeyte
08-20-2009, 08:40 AM
I think the last time a foreign based team played a couple of games with PBA clubs (W-L non - bearing) was the SK Knights of Korea, headed by Marquin Chandler.

TrueBluePinoy
08-20-2009, 08:41 AM
I thought Talk N' text got into trouble because they had that exhibition game with the Singapore Slingers without the consent of the PBA.

donmar
08-20-2009, 09:00 AM
I thought Talk N' text got into trouble because they had that exhibition game with the Singapore Slingers without the consent of the PBA.

Really... I thought the teams just organized their own trips during off-season... So that means the Ginebra trip to Singapore last year to play the Slingers was approved by the league...

KevinDurant
08-20-2009, 10:58 AM
That's the problem with the PBA. They have these stupid rules of not allowing teams to practice/play overseas w/out their permission. Teams can improve if they play against foreign teams, why stop them from doing so?

cod3breaker
08-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I want to see Hoopdreams Australia again. :D

than11
08-20-2009, 05:46 PM
If it's off-season, then there's no problem in inviting foreign clubs..They'll come in bunches especially from our East Asian neighbors..But the proposal of "alien space bats" is to have them as guest teams on any of the conferences that the PBA have..Which is absolutely not feasible/possible..Unless PBA is inviting a foreign club that is not tied to any league abroad..

dreamwalker
08-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Doable but would be too costly. Who will finance them the entire season (or conference?) Unless there is a major company (international?) that is willing to risk it?

i don't see it happening except if it's a 10-day mini-tournament event of sorts..

I have someone in mind who can come in as an investor even to the extent of buying the whole Corporate PBA......:D;)

He's no other than Hassanal Bolkiah, his majesty, the Sultan of Brunei.

http://www.reasonpad.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Sultan-of-Brunei-322x450.jpg

They do have a lot of investments there in the Philippines, mostly owned by the crown prince.

He can surely finance a tournament like a FIBA-Asia-Oceania Series instead of having a Brunei Cup but to be held in the Philippines ? that would be wishing for the moon.:D;)

Percival O. Flores
10-13-2011, 04:53 AM
In the 1982 Invitationals, the South Korean national team played here as "Nicolas Stoodley-South Korea". That was the first and last time that a full-fledged national team played in a PBA Conference. They played against Toyota, San Miguel, Crispa and U-tex, the top four finishers in the 1982 Reinforced Conference.

This was the same conference where Toyota's Terry Saldaņa brawled with the Korean players which cost him the rookie of the year honors, which went eventually to the other Saldaņa, Marte Saldaņa of San Miguel.

All the rest of the guest teams were either:

1. club teams (Palmeiras of Brazil, played as Emtex Sacronels in the 1977 Invitationals);

2. selections (Nicolas Stoodley USA which won the 1980 Invitationals); or

3. school teams (University British Columbia Lions, a guest team in the 2004 Fiesta Cup).

mon23
10-20-2011, 01:31 AM
I would think of the PBA having a foreign team guesting and seeded in the semifinals to add some spices in one conference, but still its far costly than ballclubs getting imports.

Cool_Enz
10-22-2011, 06:59 PM
The PBA Invitational tournament was revived during the time of Comm. Noli Eala but things did not work out quite well. The foreign teams hardly posed as a threat to local clubs, resulting in lopsided results. :)