PDA

View Full Version : The Great Sonny Barrios Appreciation thread

SupaRuki
08-15-2009, 01:28 PM
THE GREAT SONNY BARRIOS
APPRECIATION THREAD

http://en.wikipilipinas.org/images/a/a8/Sonny_Barrios.jpg

We could go around in circles forever but the bottom line remains:
We lost because it is Team Pilipinas' fault.

Its Yeng Guiao's fault. Its Uichico's fault. Its Duremdes' and Nadurata's fault.
Its about Kerby's indecisiveness, Aguilar's lack of experience, JJ's bad shooting, Miller's turnovers, , Mick's tattoos, Asi's flabby arms, Lin Chih-Chieh's emo haircut jinx, Igarashi's girly face, blah and a thousand-one more faults.

Its ALL their FAULT.

BUT on the contrary here is the deal:
And I am 110%, absolutely, positively sure to the nth degree about this one.
IT IS NOT MR. SONNY BARRIOS' FAULT.

At first i thought we were gonna be treated to having an old school, long-time Bernardino lackey who decided on a one-step forward, 2-steps backward team RP philosophy- completely negating whatever momentum and continuity we had from Tokushima.

Boy was i wrong.

What made me a believer was his decision to prevent any player from being loaned exclusively to the national cause. He knew that Filipino players, with all their godly one-on-one skills, superior ball handling and flair will be enough to trump any kind of opposition. For the sake of flag and country he kept the best players with their mother clubs so Filipinos will continuously enjoy a Pinoy brand of basketball and deserve nothing less. Why should he let our players go overseas and train long term for something as trivial as FIBA Asia? Especially when the PBA is the premier basketball league on the continent with nobody even close? Why should he deprive the Filipino people of a PBA Championship Final having incomplete rosters? Just for the sake of selfishly training abroad and showcase their wares against unworthy, basketball-inferior foreigners? We should all be at awe with Barrios' unwavering patriotism and dedication.

Thanks to this great man our team adjusted well to the international level of play by having those iconic duels with the PBA All-Stars, a selection known for their unrivaled cohesion and amazing team play. I cant help but get goosebumps seeing one of our guards dribble the length of the court, put on a series of spin moves before finally doing a killer crossover en route to a fadeaway jumper over the PBA All-Star import- At the buzzer no less! Wohoooo! Bayan ng Superstars! Beat that El Khatib! What a proud moment that was!

Thanks to him we were matched up against highly-touted foreign juggernauts like the Australian Great White Sharks and a group of gifted American basketball pastors. I heard one of the Great Whites had a 7-foot guy who once pwned Yao Ming in FIBA World. I also recall the pastor who had a 60-inch vertical leap with anklet weights on. Despite those herculean odds we managed to beat them convincingly, putting a million smiles to each and every basketball follower in the countryside. The local media even had mainstream coverage for attracting such world class opposition. It all happened because of Mr. Barrios' wonderful foresight.

Thanks to him we were able to get a "full week" of international competition through the Jones Cup. We were very grateful for such excellent vision. Even if our opponents had been playing together for 2 years or more he believed that one week was enough. Heck, we got a silver medal in the Asian Games for virtually zero preparation what more with full seven days to get ready? He knew the rest of Asia were already trembling, as he adhered to the undying principle that the PBA is and will always be the best league next to the NBA, bar none.

Thanks to him we can all be proud of landing at least in 8th place, a huge improvement from our 9th place finish two years ago. If not for Kelly Williams' and Helterbrand's injuries we would have won 1st by a mile. Considering all the factors there could never be a prouder moment for all of us with such an achievement.

And last but definitely not least, thanks to him we no longer have to deal with the psychological torture of beating China to becoming Asia's finest. We finally got over the hump. Now we only need to concentrate on beating Korea, Taiwan, Iran, Jordan, Qatar, Lebanon and pretty soon Kuwait. A big step and a landmark occasion for Pilipinas Basketball.

Whew. I cant think of anymore superlatives to describe this guy, so outstanding that i could hurl all types of expletives towards him he deserves all the props for making us all feel very proud and worthy as a basketball crazy nation right now.

All praises to Mr. Sonny Barrios for a job well done.
Thank you very much sir.

DRRC
08-15-2009, 01:44 PM
THE GREAT SONNY BARRIOS
APPRECIATION THREAD

Its Yeng Guiao's fault. Its Uichico's fault. Its Duremdes' and Nadurata's fault.
Its about Kerby's indecisiveness, Aguilar's lack of experience, JJ's bad shooting, Miller's turnovers, , Mick's tattoos, Asi's flabby arms, Lin Chih-Chieh's emo haircut jinx, Igarashi's girly face, blah and a thousand-one more faults.

Its ALL their FAULT.

At first i though we gonna be treated to having an old school, long-time Bernardino lackey who decided on a one-step forward, 2-steps backward team RP philosophy- completely negating whatever momentum and continuity we had from Tokushima.

Boy was i wrong.

What made me a believer was his decision to prevent any player from being loaned exclusively to the national cause. He knew that Filipino players, with all their godly one-on-one skills, superior ball handling and flair will be enough to trump any kind of opposition. For the sake of flag and country he kept the best players with their mother clubs so Filipinos will continuously enjoy a Pinoy brand of basketball and deserve nothing less. Why should he let our players go overseas and train long term for something as trivial as FIBA Asia? Especially when the PBA is the premier basketball league on the continent with nobody even close? Why should he deprive the Filipino people of a PBA Championship Final having incomplete rosters? Just for the sake of selfishly training abroad and showcase their wares against unworthy, basketball-inferior foreigners? We should all be at awe with Barrios' unwavering patriotism and dedication.

Thanks to this great man our team adjusted well to the international level of play by having those iconic duels with the PBA All-Stars, a selection known for their unrivaled cohesion and amazing team play. I cant help but get goosebumps seeing one of our guards dribble the length of the court, put out a series of spin moves before finally doing a killer crossover en route to landing a fadeaway jumper over the PBA All-Star import- At the buzzer no less! Wohoooo! Bayan ng Superstars! What a proud moment that was!

Thanks to him we were matched up against highly-touted foreign juggernauts like the Australian Great White Sharks and a group of gifted American basketball pastors. I heard one of the Great Whites had a 7-foot guy who once pwned Yao Ming in FIBA World. I also recall one the pastors had a 60-inch vertical leap with anklet weights on. Despite those herculean odds we managed to beat them convincingly, putting a million smiles to each and every basketball follower in the countryside. The local media even had mainstream coverage for attracting such world class opposition. It all happened because of Mr. Barrios' wonderful foresight.

Thanks to him we were able to get a "full week" of international competition through the Jones Cup. We were very grateful for such excellent vision. Even if our opponents had been playing together for 2 years or more he believed that one week was enough. Heck, we got a silver medal in the Asian Games for virtually zero preparation what more with full seven days to get ready? He knew the rest of Asia were already trembling, as he adhered to the undying principle that the PBA is and will always be the best league next to the NBA, bar none.

Thanks to him we can all be proud of landing at least in 8th place, a huge improvement from our 9th place finish two years ago. If not for Kelly Williams' and Helterbrand's injuries we would have won 1st by a mile. Considering all the factors there could never be a prouder moment for all of us with such an achievement.

And last but definitely not least, thanks to him we no longer have to deal with the psychological torture of beating China to becoming Asia's finest. We finally got over the hump. Now we only need to concentrate on beating Korea, Taiwan, Iran, Jordan, Qatar, Lebanon and pretty soon Kuwait. A big step and a landmark occasion for Pilipinas Basketball.

Whew. I cant think of anymore superlatives to describe this guy, so outstanding that i could hurl all types of expletives towards him he deserves all the props for making us all feel very proud and worthy as a basketball crazy nation right now.

Thank you very much sir.

that was so well said i think im about to cry

sergio23
08-15-2009, 01:52 PM
sana kunin na cya ni lord!

Trans: A great and good man like Barrios should be given an Appreciation Thread like this.. good job! cheers

tiffac
08-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Sonny you've done your job, now you must exit the league at the top of your game, so you will be forever immortalize in greatness...

Trans: I would really appreciate it if you step down now. :D

sickcurtain_16
08-15-2009, 03:15 PM
UGH. Im touched. XD

merps baller the return
08-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Sonny you've done your job, now you must exit the league at the top of your game, so you will be forever immortalize in greatness...

Trans: I would really appreciate it if you step down now. :D

so you will be immortalize in greatness...=priceless!:D:D:D

CoJ
08-15-2009, 05:29 PM
my sarcasm meter must be broke hahaha

dreamwalker
08-15-2009, 05:56 PM
my sarcasm meter must be broke hahaha

Nyahaha, you made my day dude.....:D

As if everyone wants to build a new monument a fitting tribute to Mr. Barrios to replace the doctor at Luneta..........:p

cod3breaker
08-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Sarcasm I like! Great post man.

To the Barriosaurus:

http://blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/darth-vader-epic-fail.jpg

ramzaruglia
08-15-2009, 06:32 PM
THE GREAT SONNY BARRIOS
APPRECIATION THREAD

Its ALL their FAULT.

At first i thought we were gonna be treated to having an old school, long-time Bernardino lackey who decided on a one-step forward, 2-steps backward team RP philosophy- completely negating whatever momentum and continuity we had from Tokushima.

Boy was i wrong.

Thanks to this great man our team adjusted well to the international level of play by having those iconic duels with the PBA All-Stars, a selection known for their unrivaled cohesion and amazing team play. I cant help but get goosebumps seeing one of our guards dribble the length of the court, put on a series of spin moves before finally doing a killer crossover en route to a fadeaway jumper over the PBA All-Star import- At the buzzer no less! Wohoooo! Bayan ng Superstars! Beat that El Khatib! What a proud moment that was!

Thanks to him we were matched up against highly-touted foreign juggernauts like the Australian Great White Sharks and a group of gifted American basketball pastors. I heard one of the Great Whites had a 7-foot guy who once pwned Yao Ming in FIBA World. I also recall the pastor who had a 60-inch vertical leap with anklet weights on. Despite those herculean odds we managed to beat them convincingly, putting a million smiles to each and every basketball follower in the countryside. The local media even had mainstream coverage for attracting such world class opposition. It all happened because of Mr. Barrios' wonderful foresight.

Thank you very much sir.

MY idol, Leonard Nimoy does not agree..
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/BBeltballerina/Nimoy-Leonard.jpg
See his face, that is also my face of dismay to the Powerade NT's performance. And he's keep destroying the PBA, making it favorable for the higher few, and not for the fans.

This is a quote for you, Barrios:

"Short live, and do not prosper!!"
http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w355/Alessis8/LeonardNimoy.jpg

saints13
08-15-2009, 09:22 PM
I see Mr. Sonny Barrios as a good person (no sarcasm).. it's just that he really is very conservative, and all he wanted was to bring back the glory days of PBA. Hate him for being conservative as a PBA commissioner, he's just an OIC, there is the PBA board that is also part of the decision making for the league..I pity Mr. Sonny Barrios, seems like he is being crucified here in IBN Phil. just like Graham Lim. :( I hate Graham Lim, but I don't hate Mr. Sonny Barrios that much. ;)

Alex07
08-16-2009, 12:03 AM
hehe did someone pay you to do this lmao :D

jesronne
08-16-2009, 12:05 AM
if sonny and the pba board aggrees with the proposal of some pba players will be loan for smart gilas.... thats the only time most of us here will appreciate him...

raichu08
08-16-2009, 12:36 AM
I can only forgive him if he decides to lend his players to smart gilas. If not, I hope he burns in hell.

cod3breaker
08-16-2009, 12:54 AM
I can only forgive him if he decides to lend his players to smart gilas. If not, I hope he burns in hell.

Not enough.

The PBA should also release the players from their mother clubs when Smart Gilas calls for Team Practice and Foreign Training. Whether the player is currently playing in the Playoffs or Finals he must be excused especially if the international tournaments is almost starting.

Alex07
08-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Let's make him a national hero and bury him in the libingan ng mga bayani...wait he's still alive :D

CoJ
08-16-2009, 03:43 AM
does the PBA commisioner ever had a backbone,,he seems powerless against the PBA board (though I hate David Dtern, I admire hi control over the NBA)

D_I_A
08-16-2009, 06:27 AM
whoa!

seems like Barrio Kid is PBA's PGMA's version!

the most hated commish PBA ever had.:mad:

Sulong Basketball ng Pilipinas!!!
(Onward Philippine Basketball)
Reform the PBA!!!

Shin_Dong_Pa
08-16-2009, 06:34 AM
At least he's Filipino unlike the chinese guy who wants to bring the basketball program down.

SupaRuki
08-16-2009, 08:28 AM
If every future basketball leader and stakeholder in the country will emulate Mr. Barrios' perspective for international success and excellence then sky is the limit for all of us.

His sense of fulfillment is astonishing to say the least. Im pretty sure years from now he be will telling his grandchildren about the legendary exploits of Powerade Team Pilipinas: from the momentous triumphs during SEABA to the toe-to-toe Jones Cup encounter with Jordan; to the glorious performance against Qatar until the epic rematch versus Korea for the much coveted 8th spot.

Hopefully everyone will recognize this wonderful man's accomplishments and give him another go come 2011. Im very much certain Mr. Barrios will leave no stone unturned as always and definitely better their 8th place finish, aiming for seventh place next time.

Mabuhay ka ser! i think im going to puke

========================
Barrios proud of RP cagers’ China stint
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/01242008/images/sports-pic03.jpg

"It’s wonderful and very fulfilling." Mr. Barrios reads from the dummy cards while explaining the magnificent run by Team Pilipinas in Tianjin. (AP Photo)

By NICK GIONGCO
August 14, 2009, 6:43pm

TIANJIN, CHINA — PBA Commissioner Renauld “Sonny” Barrios considers his experience with the Philippine team in the ongoing FIBA-Asia Championship as one of the highlights of his commissionership.

Being with the RP team, according to Barrios, is an experience worth telling many times over.

It’s wonderful and very fulfilling.

“Not because I may not have the chance to address you guys again, I want to thank you all for this wonderful experience you’ve given me personally,”

Barrios said after the viewing session with RP team coach Yeng Guiao and the rest of the players.

“So far, what you have achieved is us avoiding going home with our heads bowed because of shame that we will be the poorest achievers in the history of PBA (formed RP team),” Barrios added.

“In fact, I think, when we get back to Manila I’ll get a little depressed going back to our respective day jobs. I as your commissioner, you as ball club players, coach here as coach of Burger King,” he said.

“But this experience, you know when I retire, and my grandchildren to be asks me ‘Lolo what are your happiest days when you were PBA commissioner?’ With out a doubt I’ll say ‘During the time with you guys.'"

“You will never see me this happy in my day job as PBA commissioner, for making me experience this enjoyment and feeling fulfilled. "I will never experience this again,” Barrios added.

It was actually Barrios who handpicked Guiao to form, train and handle the team for this qualifying tournament for the World Championship slated next year in Turkey.

With the team now in the quarterfinals, the country’s worst finish would be eighth, which is better than the disappointing ninth of the previous national team mentored by Chot Reyes during the FIBA-Asia Championship in 2007 in Tokushima, Japan, the qualifying tournament then for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/215914...rs-china-stint

Alex07
08-16-2009, 09:37 AM
At least he's Filipino unlike the chinese guy who wants to bring the basketball program down.

that's what hurts the most

FatFingerz
08-16-2009, 10:02 AM
With the team now in the quarterfinals, the country’s worst finish would be eighth, which is better than the disappointing ninth of the previous national team mentored by Chot Reyes during the FIBA-Asia Championship in 2007 in Tokushima, Japan, the qualifying tournament then for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

And we got the 8th place! This man can predict the future huh! :D

rensquared
08-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Epic!

durden_tyler
08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
i'm saying this again, if you are man enough to bash Barrios you should be man enough to bash the members of the board.

One is a puppet, the other(s) are the ones who control the puppet. Honestly, do you really, really think one man, one powerless man, is good enough to control all these things?

Puhleeeze. i thought IBN was wiser than this?

DRRC
08-16-2009, 09:43 PM
I would bash YG more bec he had full control of the team and it was his system that let everyone down, we could but virus as a footnote
:mad:

reamily
08-17-2009, 01:30 AM
i'm saying this again, if you are man enough to bash Barrios you should be man enough to bash the members of the board.

One is a puppet, the other(s) are the ones who control the puppet. Honestly, do you really, really think one man, one powerless man, is good enough to control all these things?

Maybe yes maybe no he is also the messenger to the board ahihi:D:D:D

Scapegoat ika nga

D_I_A
08-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Maybe yes maybe no he is also the messenger to the board ahihi:D:D:D

Scapegoat ika nga

Mouthpiece for disaster?! :mad:

alien space bats
08-17-2009, 09:17 AM
maybe it's time to email-barrage mr barrios to stop the pba's plan of forming another philippine team. surprisingly, the fans dont want it now. to think that there are only a few of us here in interbasket who believe that PBA sucks. Now it seems that others have been enlightened. PBA has already dragged us down to basketball hell. we suck at basketball because of pba. pba should be PABA or philippine agaw buko association.

SupaRuki
08-17-2009, 12:42 PM

With all due respect that was uncalled for. Why question the general common sense of basketball fans for supporting something so obviously out in the open already?

We are not criticizing Barrios for the sake of doing so and most certainly not because of our own selfish grievances. We are criticizing him because he deserves it. Although he is definitely not the root of all basketball evils (BAP *cough*) it is undeniable that he represents one of the predominant problems altogether.

Regardless of who pulls the strings is beyond relevant here. It all boils down to command responsibility. Why do we have to gratuitously dwell on "board member this or that" when we are all well aware of who is at the head of the table? Furthermore the governors are not a bunch of hard as.ses to reject every incoming proposal and dictate on Barrios, take a look at Noli Eala’s PBA/NT reforms for example. Presuming the board of governors allegedly handcuffed him as you claim (i highly doubt it): whats the use of being a commissioner anyway? In any case I bet his old school ego wouldnt have agreed to such abuse prior to assuming and during full capacity. Given his prevailing commitments outside the PBA he would have quit in a heartbeat.

In a nutshell, it was never about Barrios being rendered powerless or shackled. Its about a leader's blatant disregard and lack of concern for the NT cause, despite having a lengthy front row seat and eye witness account to all the disappointments one after the other. Evidently enough the NT campaign took a turn for the worse when he became commissioner. Heck he even pushed to revert back into a 3-conference format for the sake of the "PBA forefathers". This move almost became the lowest of the low as he nearly jeopardized the FIBA RP participation itself by ultimately shutting the door. At the end of the day he took out almost everything Eala worked on as if they were nothing, all because he believed that there was no room for a modernist approach in the league and no improvement will ever come out of it. Who can forget his "Filipino basketball by Filipino players for the Filipino people" traditionalist speech? Priceless.

So why Barrios again? For cripe’s sake we’ve been needlessly finger-pointing hapless players, coaches and other poor souls for the past 30 years while always forgetting the root cause of the problem. Our young people are being led to believe that most of the blame go to the Yeng Guiaos, Kerbys and Helterbrands of Phil basketball, when in fact its the personalities behind the scenes that vulnerably placed them there are the ones to be mainly held accountable. What’s worse is we dont need a rocket scientist to figure out whats keeping Pilipinas Basketball and I assume you know it too. Enough is enough.

For all those years Barrios worked in the PBA and even now, he had all the time, influence and reputation to make a difference. And as long as his various paleozoic-era ideals persist hardly anything is going to change the PBA in terms of progressive player development and representation.

On another note, i fervently hope that the realization he spoke of in media prints genuinely came from the heart (and not out of his as.s).

c_d
08-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Add this to the list: Here's what Barrios had to say when Toroman volunteered to scout for Yeng: (SOURCE (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleid=478724))

Barrios said he recalled during the BAP days, there were attempts to assign a BAP designate to the coaching staff whenever the PBA would form a national team. Boysie Zamar was often recommended.

“But in the end, the BAP coaches would back out because it’s difficult to work with someone you’re not comfortable with,” he said. “It’s more a familiarity issue than anything else. Coach Yeng has a free hand to choose his staff and we respect that.”

durden_tyler
08-17-2009, 06:45 PM
With all due respect that was uncalled for. Why question the general common sense of basketball fans for supporting something so obviously out in the open already?

We are not criticizing Barrios for the sake of doing so and most certainly not because of our own selfish grievances. We are criticizing him because he deserves it. Although he is definitely not the root of all basketball evils (BAP *cough*) it is undeniable that he represents one of the predominant problems altogether.

Regardless of who pulls the strings is beyond relevant here. It all boils down to command responsibility. Why do we have to gratuitously dwell on "board member this or that" when we are all well aware of who is at the head of the table? Furthermore the governors are not a bunch of hard as.ses to reject every incoming proposal and dictate on Barrios, take a look at Noli Eala’s PBA/NT reforms for example. Presuming the board of governors allegedly handcuffed him as you claim (i highly doubt it): whats the use of being a commissioner anyway? In any case I bet his old school ego wouldnt have agreed to such abuse prior to assuming and during full capacity. Given his prevailing commitments outside the PBA he would have quit in a heartbeat.

In a nutshell, it was never about Barrios being rendered powerless or shackled. Its about a leader's blatant disregard and lack of concern for the NT cause, despite having a lengthy front row seat and eye witness account to all the disappointments one after the other. Evidently enough the NT campaign took a turn for the worse when he became commissioner. Heck he even pushed to revert back into a 3-conference format for the sake of the "PBA forefathers". This move almost became the lowest of the low as he nearly jeopardized the FIBA RP participation itself by ultimately shutting the door. At the end of the day he took out almost everything Eala worked on as if they were nothing, all because he believed that there was no room for a modernist approach in the league and no improvement will ever come out of it. Who can forget his "Filipino basketball by Filipino players for the Filipino people" traditionalist speech? Priceless.

So why Barrios again? For cripe’s sake we’ve been needlessly finger-pointing hapless players, coaches and other poor souls for the past 30 years while always forgetting the root cause of the problem. Our young people are being led to believe that most of the blame go to the Yeng Guiaos, Kerbys and Helterbrands of Phil basketball, when in fact its the personalities behind the scenes that vulnerably placed them there are the ones to be mainly held accountable. What’s worse is we dont need a rocket scientist to figure out whats keeping Pilipinas Basketball and I assume you know it too. Enough is enough.

For all those years Barrios worked in the PBA and even now, he had all the time, influence and reputation to make a difference. And as long as his various paleozoic-era ideals persist hardly anything is going to change the PBA in terms of progressive player development and representation.

On another note, i fervently hope that the realization he spoke of in media prints genuinely came from the heart (and not out of his as.s).

Point taken. But you have to understand that even the "great" Noli Eala had to endure the pressure of the board when he was the commissioner--- yes, even about the patriotic stand behind the national team.

All i am saying is, whoever you put there, even the most influential individual will still be controlled by the board. Lest it be misunderstood, i am not defending Barrios and his style of leadership; it's about the men that control these people. You could have killed Barrios 3-4 years ago and we will still have this "semi" commitment of the PBA to the NT.

It is just what it is.

Alex07
08-18-2009, 12:09 AM
have the great Barrios be fed to the hungry great white sharks

insulares
08-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Point taken. But you have to understand that even the "great" Noli Eala had to endure the pressure of the board when he was the commissioner--- yes, even about the patriotic stand behind the national team.

All i am saying is, whoever you put there, even the most influential individual will still be controlled by the board. Lest it be misunderstood, i am not defending Barrios and his style of leadership; it's about the men that control these people. You could have killed Barrios 3-4 years ago and we will still have this "semi" commitment of the PBA to the NT.

It is just what it is.

That comment you made previously in boldface (re:"I thought IBN was wiser than this") was very condescending not just to interbasket posters, but also to people in other forums as well.

I believe that a good majority of basketball followers here are also good students of recent Philippine basketball history. They already know that Barrios is both a puppet and a product of the PBA Board (or at least, certain elements of it). That said, Renauld Barrios is not above public reproach. You can argue your case that Barrios is "one powerless man" until you turn blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that he is still a person of authority in the PBA (at least on paper). He is fair game. It is just what it is.

A firestorm against Barrios (and his unfriendly NT stance) is also a firestorm against the PBA Board that unleashed him. If Board members are so thick-skulled that they are insensitive to public pressure, then they will reap the bitter harvest from whatever lukewarm seeds they sowed. Criticism against Barrios doesn't have to be spelled out to board members like they're three-year olds. If they do, then let them read the extremist anti-PBA threads that demand the pro league's demise.

You are right that the Board pressure on one man (the commissioner) is very intense. For all his NT drive and determination, then PBA commissioner Noli Eala candidly admitted back in 2007 that it would be very difficult for the PBA to shoulder a long-term NT program given its structure. But at least Eala had both the spine and the brain to coax (manipulate?) the Board into doing something it was fundamentally opposed to, that is: to alter the PBA calendar for international competition and to do away with the 3-conference format.

As Eala showed, the fact that somebody is fitted with a puppet string shouldn't stop that person from yanking at it too. Sad to say, Barrios' concept of a PBA commissioner is someone who is fully subservient and yielding to the Board. The life of a subordinate is all that he has ever known in his entire PBA career. To Barrios, there is no room to be proactive by taking the initiative on meaningful and innovative ideas. Even if he wanted to, I sincerely doubt if he can.

el scorcho
08-18-2009, 03:29 AM

It is just what it is.

That may be true, but Noli Eala was able to squeeze out deeper levels of commitment from the PBA, even with the same board members that Barrios is working with now.

Eala's innovations like the 2 conference format and revised league schedule were designed to enable the PBA to commit more time to the NT. How come Barrios is doing the reverse?

durden_tyler
08-18-2009, 09:31 AM
re:"I thought IBN was wiser than this"

Oh. So, that ruffled a few feathers. My bad if it offended anyone at all. Curiously, i thought that was a compliment since i was thinking of (comparing with) the post's here with PEX. And anytime a forum is compared with PEX, you know you are in good hands (contrasting could be the right term)

What i am saying is, putting more depth on the discussions rather than simply attacking a single man is a bit more... errr... constructive. i love the PBA despite its lapses but i'd respect a thread even more if it attacked the PBA as a whole because there lies the problem (and the solution) and not this one man alone.

For example: how do you think this thread would have went if we started nitpicking on teams/board members/team owners themselves? Damn right, we would have identified already that there are certain teams that have had shown (unconditional) support for the NT the past 5 years or so--- that's TNT, i believe. Then we move on to the other side of the coin, analysing which teams' programs/proposals have taken the "unfriendly" stance to the NT's cause--- damn right, we would have known Alaska that recently they do not want any part of the NT...

Again, those are just examples but with basis from recent news. Personally, i'd love to know which and which really at least has the possibility of supporting the NT, one way and the other. i know already that Barrios is and will never be proactive. Surely, i have given-up on the man (Like all of you, i am already waiting/wanting his replacement); that's why i think it is useless to bash him because we can bash teams now. See if that finds public support. See if it appears in a major broadsheet expose.

Can you imagine this exchange/s?

Reporter: The PBA is accused of being selfish and not loaning players to the NT, what can you say about that?

Barrios:We've done pretty well in the past tournament and we feel we still can help the NT in some ways. But it's up to the board.

OR

Reporter: The PBA (or your team) is accused of being selfish and not loaning players to the NT, what can you say about that?

Board Member: No no. Not at all. We've done <this and that> in the past and <that and this> recently to show our support for the NT. i am assuring the Filipinos that we are open to help. i'll propose to the board...

(Reporters follow-up that this is all talk blah-blah...)

Board Member: (feeling the pressure now)

... So there. For a reporter (and to an extent, internet discussions) it's not just about asking the right questions, it's asking the right people as well.

lapukman
08-18-2009, 03:20 PM
You guys have great points and this thread is really an interesting one.

Just a question.... how did you know it was them (Alaska) but still they loaned 2 of their players? --- Forgive me for my ignorance if this is already known in the public.

Then we move on to the other side of the coin, analysing which teams' programs/proposals have taken the "unfriendly" stance to the NT's cause--- damn right, we would have known Alaska that recently they do not want any part of the NT...

Also, as I understand, whatever change or issue that require board approval, the board votes on it? Now, since the board is composed of businesses/corporations, it is obvious that they would only protect their own/company's interests, hence, it would unlikely that changes concerning the NT will come from a board member (except for TNT obviously).

So where does it points back to? The Commissioner. He can always say "it is up to the board", but the important thing is, he comes up ideas and innovations that would help the NT. The majority will decide if the idea will be realized or not. If the board votes against it, then that would be the time we criticize those who voted against it. But at this point, changes/ideas should come from the commissioner.

This is the area this guy has fared miserably.

tiffac
08-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Also, as I understand, whatever change or issue that require board approval, the board votes on it? Now, since the board is composed of businesses/corporations, it is obvious that they would only protect their own/company's interests, hence, it would unlikely that changes concerning the NT will come from a board member (except for TNT obviously).

So where does it points back to? The Commissioner. He can always say "it is up to the board", but the important thing is, he comes up ideas and innovations that would help the NT. The majority will decide if the idea will be realized or not. If the board votes against it, then that would be the time we criticize those who voted against it. But at this point, changes/ideas should come from the commissioner.

This is the area this guy has fared miserably.

I agree Barrios should show a little backbone, Eala was able to do it why can't he? We understand the PBA wants to make a living, we all want to make a living but Barrios has done nothing to make the PBA better, he is just willing for the PBA to go back to the dark ages and stagnate our talent.

The PBA has become more than a commercial entity, they just won't accept it. We don't need the PBA to overhaul like what Obama wants to do with the US health care system, we just want them to change a few things.

Proper scheduling to coincide with FIBA's calendar and letting players play outside the team/country during the off season on training camps or development leagues, so they can get exposure internationally and enhance their God given skills.

This two changes alone can go a long way for the PBA and Basketball in general in our country but it has to start with leadership and Barrios is the commish of the PBA, it starts with him.

durden_tyler
08-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Just a question.... how did you know it was them (Alaska) but still they loaned 2 of their players? --- Forgive me for my ignorance if this is already known in the public.

i just used Alaska as an example (Knowing Miller and Thoss was in the recent NT)... That said, hopefully (yes, alongside Barrios) we can make a list on who's who among the PBA boards (and owners) won't/can't/halfheartedly support the NT cause.

Expose Barrios, yes. Let's expose the strings that control the puppet too, eh?

And also regarding Tiffac's suggestion/s, that pretty much is an overhaul of the entire system (as one said, it goes through the boards votes...) so it's a total dedication for the PBA to do that. We will see.

tiffac
08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
And also regarding Tiffac's suggestion/s, that pretty much is an overhaul of the entire system (as one said, it goes through the boards votes...) so it's a total dedication for the PBA to do that. We will see.

No its not, I only ask for a reform, if its an overhaul you throw away everything from the rules on the court to how the PBA board functions and starts from scratch. I'm only asking them to start with two things, re-scheduling and a removal of a very talent stagnating contract clause.

Everything else is still PBA.

tiffac
08-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Come and get me, mo'fos:

For fan mail: email me at rnbarrios06@yahoo.com

Ayun hahahahaha! :eek::D:rolleyes:

than11
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Guys I'm confused..What exactly do you mean by "coincide with FIBA's calendar?"..Does it not coincide now?..I mean, we just had the FIBA-Asia tourney right on the off-season..thanks to Eala's 2-conference format..If we made the Olympics last year, it was off-season too..If we qualified for next year's World Champ tourney, it would be off-season as well..

insulares
08-19-2009, 04:09 AM
Oh. So, that ruffled a few feathers. My bad if it offended anyone at all. Curiously, i thought that was a compliment since i was thinking of (comparing with) the post's here with PEX. And anytime a forum is compared with PEX, you know you are in good hands (contrasting could be the right term)

What i am saying is, putting more depth on the discussions rather than simply attacking a single man is a bit more... errr... constructive. i love the PBA despite its lapses but i'd respect a thread even more if it attacked the PBA as a whole because there lies the problem (and the solution) and not this one man alone.

For example: how do you think this thread would have went if we started nitpicking on teams/board members/team owners themselves? Damn right, we would have identified already that there are certain teams that have had shown (unconditional) support for the NT the past 5 years or so--- that's TNT, i believe. Then we move on to the other side of the coin, analysing which teams' programs/proposals have taken the "unfriendly" stance to the NT's cause--- damn right, we would have known Alaska that recently they do not want any part of the NT...

Again, those are just examples but with basis from recent news. Personally, i'd love to know which and which really at least has the possibility of supporting the NT, one way and the other. i know already that Barrios is and will never be proactive. Surely, i have given-up on the man (Like all of you, i am already waiting/wanting his replacement); that's why i think it is useless to bash him because we can bash teams now. See if that finds public support. See if it appears in a major broadsheet expose.

Can you imagine this exchange/s?

Reporter: The PBA is accused of being selfish and not loaning players to the NT, what can you say about that?

Barrios:We've done pretty well in the past tournament and we feel we still can help the NT in some ways. But it's up to the board.

OR

Reporter: The PBA (or your team) is accused of being selfish and not loaning players to the NT, what can you say about that?

Board Member: No no. Not at all. We've done <this and that> in the past and <that and this> recently to show our support for the NT. i am assuring the Filipinos that we are open to help. i'll propose to the board...

(Reporters follow-up that this is all talk blah-blah...)

Board Member: (feeling the pressure now)

... So there. For a reporter (and to an extent, internet discussions) it's not just about asking the right questions, it's asking the right people as well.

I know you really have a high regard for PEX because you also continue to post your comments there. :D (btw in your example above, why did your Reporter ask a follow-up question to the Board Member only but not to the Commish? Sorry I'm a bit slow but I don't get your drift here. Is the commissioner not capable of feeling pressured or embarrassed too?)

Can't speak for the rest of the folks here, but I castigate Barrios with the fervent hope that he be removed from the PBA. I believe in the saying that one shouldn't kick a dead horse, but in this case, the horse isn't dead. It continues to do an incompetent job and keeps mouthing BS statements (about his 'newfound' patriotism, his accomplishments and improvements in the recent FIBA-Asia championships, making insincere and disingenuous NT overtures after the fact, etc). IMO, Barrios ought to be retired now and sent out to pasture along with other plant-eaters like Brontosaurus and Triceratops. Sonny has definitely helped give the PBA a bad name.

As for your idea to instead criticize teams, PBA board members and chairmen, a number of people are doing just that. In the PEX Hoop Nation forum, you're welcome to speak your mind in the thread I started ("Will the PBA become NT-friendly?"). Other posters have put in thoughtful ideas there, but I find no "shallowness" in people who keep lambasting Barrios. I view it as part of initiating reform in the PBA.

And no, reform through public pressure does not necessitate appearing in a major broadsheet - although it may entail attacking the comments made by a sitting PBA commissioner who uses the broadsheets as his pulpit for lies and misleading statements.

People love the PBA in different ways. Some love it despite its lapses, others love it because they derive income (directly or not) from the league, while others show their love for the league by criticizing its faults and demanding their removal. I make no apologies for being an advocate of "tough love".

Personally I can tolerate poor conditions. I grew up with the PBA back when they had 2 scoreboards: one electronic and the other a black, white and gray manual board where the operator had to slide cardboard box scores on a slightly delayed basis. I grew up loving the PBA despite the rank smell of bright yellow urine in giant plastic receptacles in the squalid washrooms of the old Araneta. And the only decent meal was a shrivelled hotdog on a bun and a warm glass of Coke. But I was one happy camper because the games were hard-fought and the PBA leaders respectable. I cannot say the same for the PBA today. It is such an uninspiring lot which needs a system overhaul.

The bottom line is that we can agree to disagree and still try to respect where each of us is coming from. To use a chemistry analogy, most of us here are all PBA fans of the same periodic table. The only difference is that some of us are in the column of "inert" gases (passive, waiting for reform to drop from the sky, waiting for bad apples to go away, unwilling to criticize for one reason or another).

And then there are those of us elements that are more reactive (actively criticizing and/or proposing solutions, lobbying for reform, demanding removal of bad apples).

Renauld Sonny Barrios
08-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Ayun hahahahaha! :eek::D:rolleyes:

[English or provide translation] i am waiting for yer e-mail let us talk mantoman.

Renauld Sonny Barrios
08-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Guys I'm confused..What exactly do you mean by "coincide with FIBA's calendar?"..Does it not coincide now?..I mean, we just had the FIBA-Asia tourney right on the off-season..thanks to Eala's 2-conference format..If we made the Olympics last year, it was off-season too..If we qualified for next year's World Champ tourney, it would be off-season as well..Why is nobody answering this post?
[English or provide translation]

pepman
08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Barrios is definitely the worst commissioner in the PBA history, he usually makes ridiculous and lame decisions and made PBA have its worst years, I think this the only time I often hear some game-fixing and scripted allegations ever since the great rivalry days of Toyota and Crispa, and he doesn't even give support to our RP team, WTF?! Why did PBA hire this? Too pity for Noli Eala.

SupaRuki
02-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Pro league execs: Gilas doesn’t need PBA reinforcement02/01/2010 | 07:25 PM

PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios practically shared the same view as Alvarez, adding the possibility of disrupting the Gilas players’ chemistry with the infusion of a pro cager.

“Baka naman kasi kapag kumuha pa sila sa amin, eh imbes na makabuti, mapasama pa," said Barrios. “Kasi nga naman, their players have already sacrificed a lot tapos kung kukuha pa sila sa amin, baka sumama pa loob nila, notwithstanding the fact na baka makaapekto sa team chemistry nila."

Prior to the team's campaign in the Middle East, Smart-Gilas coach Rajko Toroman expressed his intentions to tap the likes of Kelly Williams of Sta. Lucia, Jared Dillinger of Talk 'N Text and Gabe Norwood of Rain or Shine as possible reinforcement for his young troop.

But Barrios thinks that Smart-Gilas’ strong third-place finish in the Dubai International basketball tournament could be the determining factor as to how the team’s program will go.

“It might also leave a bad impression to their players na nagsasakripisyo na nang matagal if ever they will include PBA players. Maybe yung request nila asking the PBA to beef up their squad was a few months ago, noong hindi pa sila sumasabak sa tournament sa Middle East. I think yung line of thinking nila is iba na at this time," Barrios said.

For Alvarez, he doesn’t believe that Smart Gilas is seriously asking for reinforcement, especially when the pro league has yet to receive a formal request from the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas. The PBA is a stakeholder in the SBP.

“I’d like to believe na publicity lang yun because the SBP has not furnished us a request. If ever they’re serious about it, then they should formalize their request," Alvarez said. - GMANews.TV

Mr. Barrios is a god among men. He believes that Rajko Toroman, decorated and highly revered international coach, is on crack for needing someone like Kelly Williams. How unparalleled is his wisdom for knowing ahead of Toroman that Williams will definitely disrupt Gilas' chemistry.

Alex07
02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
may he live forever

manu_bol
02-01-2010, 03:53 PM
"let's appreciate the efforts of our dear kume, mr. sonny barrios"

- from my avatar's prison cell :D

Alex07
02-01-2010, 03:57 PM
"let's appreciate the efforts of our dear kume, mr. sonny barrios"

- from my avatar's prison cell :D

may he rest in peace

tiffac
02-01-2010, 04:13 PM
I can understand the problem of the PBA with SBP not yet asking them for their players but with these kinds of words coming out of the top exec of the PBA with such acid, how can SBP ask them?

Barrios is jumping to conclusions when nothing has yet been done. Alvarez ain't doing anyone any favors too with his fighting words.

What happened to diplomacy? Seriously this is just epic fail on the part of Barrios and Alvarez.

Worse thing is they're stup!d!ty is also tarnishing the PBA as a whole. My goodness...

b3lowzro
02-01-2010, 07:18 PM
well the thing is that both parties should talk it out personal before spilling the beans in front of the press. Its been a bad habit of most personalities here in the Philippines, if they really want change then (in basketball or in politics) let it begin with themselves.

On the press, i hate the way they blow proportions coming from minuscule issues

Uto-uto PBA Fans
02-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Sonny Barrios? Because of him and Boss Lito Alvarez we're seeing the renaissance of the PBA!

ramzaruglia
02-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Sonny Barrios? Because of him and Boss Lito Alvarez we're seeing the renaissance of the PBA!

You mean the renaissance of the demise of PBA:D:D

kaiziken_pinas
02-02-2010, 01:05 AM
You mean the renaissance of the demise of PBA:D:D

right on the money.:D

tamagurl87
02-02-2010, 09:36 AM
uto2 must've like this thread so much...

SupaRuki
02-02-2010, 06:07 PM

The Golden Era of the PBA is upon us because of these gentlemen.
But Mr Barrios made it all possible, thanks to him SMC teams are much stronger, franchise players are selling like hotcakes and roster talent gap wider than the Grand Canyon. He singlehandedly revolutionize the PBA in just a few years of leadership. We should all be proud of him.

grahamtelly
02-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I salute the whole PBA in sacrificing the future of the League in having Barrios as the Commissioner and Alvarez as the Chairman... :confused:

Uto-uto PBA Fans
02-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I salute our group, the fans because if it weren't for us the PBA will never be this exciting.

ramjo
02-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I salute our group, the fans because if it weren't for us the PBA will never be this exciting.

Yeah, the PBA is as exciting as Mr. Barrios' speeches, 'nuff said. :p

DRRC
02-03-2010, 12:17 AM
I salute the whole PBA in sacrificing the future of the League in having Barrios as the Commissioner and Alvarez as the Chairman... :confused:

You maybe prophetic in what you are saying
The PBA will lose in the long run with what Barrios and others are doing
I would not like the PBA to close down
It is the 2nd longest professional basketball league after the NBA
Unfortunately dimwits and puppets are managing the pBA now and they dont care for the fans, the nation and the national team
All they want is for the fans to spend money on themselves playing each other so they can profit
This is what I see now and this will be the demise of the pba if the leadership doesnt change
Where are the true sportsmen, where are the respected leaders, where are the capable people. Presently the pba doesnt have any of them, most of them are heartless businessmen out to make a profit

sergio23
02-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Barrios is spreading the virus....demn

ramzaruglia
02-03-2010, 02:24 AM
The Golden Era of the PBA is upon us because of these gentlemen.
But Mr Barrios made it all possible, thanks to him SMC teams are much stronger, franchise players are selling like hotcakes and roster talent gap wider than the Grand Canyon. He singlehandedly revolutionize the PBA in just a few years of leadership. We should all be proud of him.

I would be more proud of him if he step down from being a commissioner. He is the WORST, and I would to repeat it again... WORST!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Flopping rule?! What in the world is that? Is basketball here in the Philippines are getting "queered"?

And revolutionized the Philippine Basketball? He devolved it, more than he revolutionized it. He's not Noli Eala, who is the real pioneer of changes and it was the Golden Age of the PBA back then...

Sonny Barrios is a d**k headed queer, together with his cohorts. They're making our pro league, like baseball.... Ooooops:D

SupaRuki
06-04-2010, 12:27 PM
so unfair... they are replacing our hero for all the wrong reasons :(

Barrios stepped on too many toes?
6/03/2010 | PBA, Smart Gilas | 27 comments »

source: Waylon Galvez | mb.com.ph

Philippine Basketball Association Commissioner Renauld “Sonny” Barrios have reportedly stepped on too many toes during his three-year stint as head of the country’s richest and biggest sports league prompting the powerful board of directors to finally replace him.

Although no official announcement has been made, Barrios is expected to be given the door at the end of the current PBA Fiesta Cup and will be replaced by lawyer Chito Salud, son of former commissioner Rudy Salud who presided over the PBA during some of its peak years from 1988-1992.

During interviews with top PBA officials on Wednesday, all of whom requested not to be identified because no official decision has been made, Barrios was described as having made decisions that appeared to favor one team to the detriment of another.

“A lot of team owners and governors are clamoring for change,” said one source privy to PBA discussions. “The board could have done it last year, but decided to give the commissioner an extension.”

Barrios was initially made officer-in-charge following the resignation of Noli Eala and after a stalemate occurred in the heated debate over who would succeed Eala.

Barrios earned the board’s trust and subsequently was officially named the league’s seventh commissioner.

But his stint was riddled with controversies.

One of which was his reported meeting with Sta. Lucia team owner Exequiel Robles while the PBA Philippine Cup finals was going on between Sta. Lucia and Purefoods.

It was reportedly after this meeting that a Flagrant Foul 1 on James Yap was upgraded to FF 2 causing Yap’s suspension for one game.

He also had some basketball decisions that irritated several team officials, including the one when he allowed Talk ’N Text to play against San Miguel Beer in the previous Philippine Cup despite bringing the wrong set of uniform that delayed the game for two hours.

Likewise, some officials were displeased with the way he handled the controversial Talk ’N Text walkout against Barangay Ginebra during the Philippine Cup.

“The PBA has to move forward further, right now we are down. The officiating is down, and even the gate attendance is down. So these are crucial things that the board needs to consider,” the source said.

Another source who is privy to the situation said that Barrios will be evaluated after the season. However, the source said he doubts if the board will give Barrios one more year, saying: “I don’t think he’ll be extended.”

Former Deputy PBA commissioner Tommy Manotoc, however, defended Barrios.

He said that since the departure of Leo Prieto, the PBA”s first commissioner, the office has lost its independence.

He said the commissioner has fallen victim to the whims and fancies of the board members.

“What they should do is give the commissioner a free hand on everything related to running the league,” said Manotoc who claimed that when he was deputy head of the league, he was given a free hand although he said that was because he was perceived to be powerful.

friedbrains
06-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I watched the Purefoods-San Miguel game last Sunday. We were seated right in front of Sonny Barrios and Willy Marcial.

I did not realize that they closely monitor games. They have t.v. monitors in which they review the calls of the refs. What surprised me is that they actually reprimand refs, giving warnings while the game is being played. shouldn't that be done after the game ends?

anyhow, here are some juicy side comments from commissioner barrios:

"wala na. laos na si siegle." :o

"si brown parang pinoy maglaro. tulak muna bago rebound." :rolleyes:

reamily
06-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I watched the Purefoods-San Miguel game last Sunday. We were seated right in front of Sonny Barrios and Willy Marcial.

I did not realize that they closely monitor games. They have t.v. monitors in which they review the calls of the refs. What surprised me is that they actually reprimand refs, giving warnings while the game is being played. shouldn't that be done after the game ends?

"si brown parang pinoy maglaro. tulak muna bago rebound." :rolleyes:

Sonny Barrios isn't green than people perceived to.:D
He is a long time deputy of then commissioner late Jun Bernardino:cool:
People do not like Barrios to being an "old school".:cool:

Silent Killer
06-08-2010, 06:00 AM
<quote>anyhow, here are some juicy side comments from commissioner barrios:

"wala na. laos na si siegle." - hehe true. after the 07 FIBA asiad formalizes it.

"si brown parang pinoy maglaro. tulak muna bago rebound." - hehe.. nice one comm. barrios. he might crack the one of 2 slots for imports for Phil. Patriots. but gabe freeman might get that slot. if another RP team joins then he might have a shot but anthony johnson is playing good so he might take that slot. </quote>

insulares
06-09-2010, 12:07 AM

Look who's talking. Harharhar!

Alex07
06-29-2010, 01:02 PM
With PBA running smoothly: Barrios decides to leave 'sooner'
By Nelson Beltran (The Philippine Star) Updated June 29, 2010 12:00 AM

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1107/spo3ax.jpg

MANILA, Philippines - Philippine Basketball Association commissioner Renauld “Sonny” Barrios is pursuing his exit plan with the current PBA season entering the playoff phase.

Barrios, the league’s sixth commissioner, said he’s now looking to proceed with his personal affairs, confident he’s leaving the league in good hands.

He said he’s stepping down “sooner than later.”

“The adjustment, orientation and familiarization of deputy commissioner Chito Salud are running without curbs. In fact, he and I, together with the management group, have agreed that I will focus on the ongoing tourney and he focuses on everything that will take place past beyond,” said Barrios.

“He’s actively involved in the preparation for the annual draft, rookie camp, rookie draft, and all the way to the pre-season tournament and opening ceremonies,” Barrios added.

“By July, he’ll start the budget planning for the next fiscal year. I will sit down only on the first meeting to explain how we crafted the current budget so he gets a good idea how to craft the next fiscal year budget.”

Barrios said he’s bidding the PBA goodbye to enjoy his senior years. He’s 62.

“I informed the PBA board of my plans as early as June last year. It’s exactly a year ago. Not being melodramatic, I was affected by the passing of commissioner Jun Bernardino and (former PBA legal counsel) Atty. Butch Cleofe. They both died at 59,” said Barrios.

The PBA top honcho also explained his plan to spend more time with his family.

“When I mentioned to the board that I’m now looking at my stay (as commissioner) on a year-to-year basis, the board’s reaction was ‘is there a problem Com?’ I told them none, then explained my personal plans,” he said.

“I just married off two daughters then and my son was to get married in December. And he did. I want to be a grand father sooner than later and I want to enjoy my senior years,” he added.

Barrios also mentioned the family business awaiting him in the United States. His family is running a care facility for the developmentally disabled in Sacramento, California.

“Deputy commissioner Chito Salud is well prepared to take over. I, on the other hand, am pursuing our business expansion plan. We’re looking to open another care home also in Sacramento,” he said.

Barrios humbly believed he did well in his stint as PBA commissioner, mentioning two big corporations now hoping to join the pro league.

“They won’t be interested in the PBA if they see that it’s not run properly,” he said.

He’s been PBA commissioner the last three years, rescuing the league when former commissioner Noli Eala stepped down and when the league board couldn’t get the right number to appoint either Salud or Lambert Ramos.

He’d also served as acting commissioner when Bernardino got sick in 2001. He did well then and was named Executive of the Year during the season end’s PBA Press Corps Awards.

Silent Killer
06-29-2010, 01:09 PM
bye barrios.

good luck on your family business.

Alex07
06-29-2010, 01:14 PM
bye barrios.

good luck on your family business.

he's getting ready to change diapers

Giant_Dagul
06-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Barrios also mentioned the family business awaiting him in the United States. His family is running a care facility for the developmentally disabled in Sacramento, California.

Won't be much of an adjustment with his tons of experience running the PBA.

Phlegm Thrower
06-30-2010, 12:23 AM
short commissioner stint

rrx_17
06-30-2010, 02:40 PM
bye bye barrios.. i hope that the next commisioner will support the national team an

fadzki
06-30-2010, 03:09 PM
bye bye barrios.. i hope that the next commisioner will support the national team an

Bring Back Noli Eala.... :D:D:D

DS_42
06-30-2010, 05:40 PM
short commissioner stint

Isn't that a good thing ;) no disrespect to the outgoing commish;)

interxavierxxx
06-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Bring Back Noli Eala.... :D:D:D

Eala is better off in the SBP.

lovejones
06-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Won't be much of an adjustment with his tons of experience running the PBA.

now that's funny :D

hoopaddict
06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
If the PBA is ailing before Sonny Barrios came. Now it is in intensive care.
Dont know about you guys but i feel like the passion is gone in the PBA.
Even though it is a commercial league not everything should be about money.
I remember when i was still studying my classmates and I would talk about the games whenever we can. Now i dont even know who won the last championship, because i really dont care anymore.
Now i would rather watch UAAP or NCAA.
Sonny Barrios did a good job but only for the board of governors.. not the fans and PBA in general.
The only thing that keeps me from watching PBA games is to see the new talents for our national team and that's it.. :o

kikomatsing
04-01-2011, 01:58 AM
THIS IS A GOOD NEWS FOR PHILIPPINE BASKETBALL!!!!
CONGRATS to Commish Sonny Barrios!.
He is now the new SBP EXEC DIRECTOR !.....

lets bring back the glory days boss!..

good choice MVP!
:)

dxjayrock2008
04-01-2011, 02:01 AM
THIS IS A GOOD NEWS FOR PHILIPPINE BASKETBALL!!!!
CONGRATS to Commish Sonny Barrios!.
He is now the new SBP EXEC DIRECTOR !.....

lets bring back the glory days boss!..

good choice MVP!

HELL NO!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

kikomatsing
04-01-2011, 02:51 AM
HELL YEAH!...

this will bring PBA & SBP back in our arms!..

MORE PBA players to TEAM PILIPINAS!

dxjayrock2008
04-01-2011, 02:52 AM
HELL YEAH!...

this will bring PBA & SBP back in our arms!..

MORE PBA players to TEAM PILIPINAS!

Sure....:rolleyes:

SupaRuki
04-01-2011, 03:38 AM
my thread is back in action lol :D

dxjayrock2008
04-01-2011, 03:44 AM
my thread is back in action lol :D

If Sunny Virus performs well, his efforts will be appreciated. But if he failed to do his job, we will make fun of him and ridicule him. Lol. :D:p

Alex07
04-01-2011, 04:24 AM
prove us wrong virus

mikepogi
04-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Sigh..the dinosaur Barriosaurus is back in Philippine basketball. If this would mean harmonous relationship between PBA and SBP, then so be it.

kikomatsing
04-01-2011, 09:36 AM
sigh..the dinosaur barriosaurus is back in philippine basketball. If this would mean harmonous relationship between pba and sbp, then so be it.

hell yeah!..
Pba + sbp = olympics!

kaiziken_pinas
04-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I had a feeling this thread will be opened again.... ^_^

Please prove us wrong Mr. Barrios. For the sake of Philippine Basketball, we want to eat our words.

Joe Yabuki
04-01-2011, 01:01 PM
I just wish one thing for Barrios..... do what he did before, and that is to serve his boss and his boss only, disregard any other agenda or the external factors that would hinder his boss' goal.

He did it before right? he was cold against the parties that were deemed to him as useless and concentrated on obtaining his goals.

Its time to give the PBA a dose of its own old medicine.

kikomatsing
04-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I just wish one thing for Barrios..... do what he did before, and that is to serve his boss and his boss only, disregard any other agenda or the external factors that would hinder his boss' goal.

He did it before right? he was cold against the parties that were deemed to him as useless and concentrated on obtaining his goals.

Its time to give the PBA a dose of its own old medicine.

hey joe!..hey man!..
you mixed it all up!.

His son is in the PBA, he is on the SBP!.
what would you expect?

its SBPPBA merge!...
ohhh yeah!
onward to PBA-SBP again!