Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukrainian basketball 2009-10

Draft Pick Gladyr Sets Example For Young Ukrainians

Sergiy Gladyr is sky high after being selected in June's NBA Draft.

The 20-year-old Ukraine sharpshooter was chosen by the Atlanta Hawks in the second round, though he doesn't expect to join the league next season.

"The good thing about a round two selection is that the team will most likely send you to Europe for one or two seasons to get the experience and to become a stronger player," he said to Basketball World News.

"I already have offers from Olympia, Toulon and a couple of Spanish teams. I would prefer to play in the Spanish league because it is very close to the level of the NBA game and a lot of players manage to go to the NBA after playing in Spain."

Since the draft, Gladyr has been working out with Mykolaiv's farm team in Ukraine.

His sudden rise in the game has had an impact on other players in Ukraine that he has been working out with.

"What I have noticed and what the coaches have told me is that the other players started to work a lot harder and started to take basketball more seriously," he said.

"They have seen a live example of what any of them can achieve. After all, I am the same kid who played with them in the same gym just a few months ago."

A key member of the Ukraine national team, Gladyr would like to play for his country next month in the Relegation Round when they go up against the Czech Republic, Hungary and Estonia.

Their first game is on August 5 at Hungary.

"I hope so," he said.

"I really enjoyed being a part of the team last summer. I hope that no matter which club signs a contract with me, they will understand that it will be highly beneficial for me.

"I hope to be in a position where I will not be asking for permission to play for Ukraine, but that I will instead be notifying I am playing for my country."
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Gladyr to have him

He's in our (the Hawks) training camp right now and impressing everybody who sees him play.

Can't wait until this kid is in Atlanta for good.
    Euroleague Adventures

The Dotted Line Up: Ranking all the Euroleague Free Agents

Subscribe to the podcast for free on iTunes and follow ELA on Twitter: Euro_Adventures

Comment

Budivelnik signed Gerrod Henderson

Eric Hicks will play for Politechnika Lvov
      Last edited by rikhardur; 07-28-2009, 05:01 PM.
      Euroleague advanced stats and analytics

basket-stats.net

Comment

Goverla extends Patrick Sparks and Aivars Kiaushas.

BC Odessa signed Vladimir Gurtovoy

Politechnika-Galychina signed Dime Tasovski

basket-stats.net

Comment

Budivelnik is targeting El-Amin

Find the Best Products To Upgrade Your Game. Get In-Depth Athletic Product Reviews & Information On How To Choose Equipment That Works For You.
          THE NEW SPORTANDO: BASKET RUMORS
          THE NEW SPORTANDO: NBA RUMORS
          THE NEW SPORTANDO: real time basket news from around the world!!

Follow us on Facebook & Follow us on Twitter
          Basket Transactions

Comment

Azovmash signed Avgustinas Vitas

basket-stats.net

Comment

Goverla signed Mike Fraser

MBC Nikoliev signed Ivan Skurupiy
              Last edited by EugeneUkraine; 08-11-2009, 02:27 PM.

basket-stats.net

Comment

Remember last season. Ukrainian cup 2008/2009. Fantastic game BC Kiev - Azovmash.

basket-stats.net

Comment

Second division Cherasky Mavpy signed center Vedat Koruk (214, 1983)

basket-stats.net

Comment

All confirmed signings clubs ukrainian superleague at the moment:

Azovmash: Vitas Augustinas ("Sumykhimprom"), Juby Johnson ("Zadar", Croatia), Mladjan Slivancanin ("CSK VVS-Samara", Russia)

Budivelnik: Andriy Malish ("Cherkasky Mavpy", D2), Grigoriy Khizhnyak ("Dnipro"), Yuriy Lokhmanchuk ("Grifons", D2), Gerrod Henderson ("Politechnika-Galychina"), RT Guinn ("Azovmash")

Goverla: Artem Slipenchuk ("Budivelnik"), Kyrylo Skumatov ("Yambolgaz", Bulgaria), Mike Fraser (Kuwait)

Dnipro: -

Azot: -

BC Donetsk: Aaron McGhee ("Maccabi Tel-Aviv", Israel), Maks Ivshyn (BC "Poltava"), Goran Ikonic ("Bosna", Bosnia&Herzogovina), Bruno Sundov ("Cibona", Croatia)

BC Kiev: Roman Gumenyuk ("Pulsar")

Kremen: -

Krivbassbasket: Alen Jerel ("Azot"), Jovan Koprivica ("Polytechnika-Galychina")

MBC Nikolaev: Ivan Skurupiy (BC "Poltava")

BC Odessa: Milos Pavlovic ("Krivbasbasket"), Vladimir Gurtovoy ("Polytechnika-Galychina"), Chris Hill ("Cherkasky Mavpy"), John Cantrell (Chicago State, NCAA)

Polytechnika-Galychina: Nikola Vasic (BC Kiev), Nick Williams ("Atomeromu", Hungary), Andriy Korockin ("Cherkasky Mavpy"), Eric Hicks ("Telindus", Belgium), Dime Tasovski ("Rabotnicki", Macedonia)

Ferro: Georgiy Charikov (Grodno, Belorussia)

Khimik: Lavell Blanchard, Derrel Mitchell (both - AEL, Cyprus), Vadim Koval ("Pulsar")

Pulsar: -

Sumykhimprom: -

basket-stats.net

Comment

Polytechnika-Galychina signed Slobodan Ljubotina from Vojvodina

basket-stats.net

Comment

Is P.J. Tucker still at Donetsk?

Comment

Originally posted by ArnoldPettybone View Post
                          Is P.J. Tucker still at Donetsk?
                          nope.

basket-stats.net

Comment

Budivelnik re-sign Derrick Zimmerman

Ferro signed Kevin Tiggs (East Tennesy State, NCAA)

Goverla signed Vitaliy Kovalenko

Budivelnik signed Khalid El-Amin

BC Donetsk signed Arthur Drozdov

basket-stats.net

Comment

Kyrylo Fesenko leaves Ukraine National Team

From Salt Lake Tribune"

"Following his benching in a game last week, Jazz center Kyrylo Fesenko(notes) has left the Ukrainian national team before the conclusion of relegation-round play in the European championships. Although he committed to playing for the national team instead of taking part in summer league with the Jazz, Fesenko did not see action Friday against Hungary and did not travel to Estonia for a game Monday. Russ Ridge, whose family helps care for the 22-year-old center in Utah, has spoken with Fesenko and said Monday that he was not injured, despite a story on the federation's Web site that suggested otherwise. Before leaving for the off-season, Fesenko talked about the criticism he'd faced in his home country for skipping national team duty the previous two years to play in summer league with the Jazz. However, Fesenko's playing time decreased so quickly in Ukraine that he saw just nine minutes of action in last Tuesday's loss to the Czech Republic. Three days later, he didn't play at all against Hungary."
                              EugeneUkraine, any info on this?

Stuart
                              http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                              http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                              http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information