PDA

View Full Version : Venezuela national team

Lewis
07-05-2009, 06:07 PM
/////////////////////free

Lewis
07-05-2009, 06:21 PM
the one ones I know are Greivis Vasquez from Maryland Terrapins (NCAA) and Jhon Cox who plays for the French Club Nancy in 1st Division.

Vazques may be the only real hope Venezuela has to make it to Turkey, he's a real talent (a point Guard at 6'6") who can lift a team any time.

rocketstar47
07-06-2009, 02:14 AM
...can you play here in the philippines
for an exhibition game for our NT

hector romero i believe is lyk the style of our
very own eric menk

alermac
07-06-2009, 05:38 AM
Oscar Torres, Hector Romero and Richard Lugo are the usual stars. And Greg Echenique is apparently one of the best big men prospects in Latin America, if not the best.

alermac
07-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Guillermo Navarte will be the head coach and his assistants are Nelson "Kako" Solorzano and Carl Herrera.
Not anymore: Narvarte has resigned as head coach. He said his reasons were:

-The official list of players called to training camp is different from the one he had designed. Some players of his choice weren't in it, and it contained some players he hadn't chosen. And he found out about it by the media.

-The Federation never sent him his contract.

-The Federation never confirmed a trainer for the team, and training plans were changed almost daily.

J-Mart
07-13-2009, 03:18 PM
puertorrian Tony Ruiz is being considered to coach Venezuela

Lewis
07-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Americas Federations are a big Joke

that's all I gotta say

stuart
07-28-2009, 03:53 PM
http://www.interbasket.net/news/3060/2009/07/28/greivis-vasquez-joins-venezuela-camp/

Greivis going to camp starting today...

Stuart

Mojado
07-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Venezuela got punked by the ABI...
http://www.whnt.com/news/sns-ap-al--tournamentcanceled,0,4995909.story
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/07/venezuelan_national_team_shows.html
http://www.abibasket.com/the_freewill_games.html

I mean Liberia and Nigeria? Are you kidding me? It's almost sure that they (US Immigration) won't grant visa to these countries' players easily.
Besides, the real Nigerian NT (Well,at least the US-based players) was in Houston. Toney probably never asked them to come over...

c_d
06-19-2010, 11:59 PM
VEN - Many stars will join the Venezuelan national team:
6/17/2010

CARACAS - Venezuelan stars Luis Bethelmy, Juan Herrera, Axiers Sucre, Rafael Pérez, César Silva and Miguel Marriaga will join on Thursday the practices of the Venezuelan national team that is preparing for the 2010 South American Championship to be played in Neiva, Colombia.

They will join Tulio Cobos, Windy Graterol, Francisco Centeno, Gregory Vargas, Hernán Salcedo, Jesús Centeno, José Bravo, Alejandro "Tapipa" Barrios, Rafael Guevara, Carlos Cedeño and José Bravo who are already practicing under Néstor Salazar.

Then on Friday David Cubillán, Jesús Urbina and Héctor "Pepito" Romero will join and the NCAA stars Greivis Vásquez and Gregory Echenique arrive in Venezuela at the end of the month.
http://www.fibaamericas.com/noticiasread_us.asp?r=DHDZXTSWYV

rikhardur
06-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Venezuela calls 19 players for national team

A total of 19 players were called by the Venezuelan Basketball Federation to be part of the training camp prior to the South American Championship to be held in Neiva, Colombia from July 26-31.

The players called are: Rafael Prez, Jess Centeno, David Cubilln, Nstor Colmenares, Greivis Vsquez, Luis Valera, Gregory Echenique, Yorman Zamora, John Cox, Hctor 'Pepito' Romero, Luis Bethelmy, Francisco Centeno, Jess Urbina, Miguel Marriaga, Carlos Cedeo, Jos Bravo, Juan Herrera, Heissler Guillent, Tulio Cobos and Axiers Sucre. Oscar Torres is not in the list due to injury.

The team will practice starting on June 15 in Isla Margarita and then play in caracas on July 21-23 in a friendly tournament against Brazil, Uruguay and Ecuador. Then on July 24 they depart to Colombia.
http://www.latinbasket.com/South-American-Championships/basketball.asp?NewsID=193857

JGX
06-29-2010, 02:11 AM
Venezuela is supposed to play Belize this week:
http://edition.channel5belize.com/?p=34652

JGX
06-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Venezuela beat Panama 67-59 last night:
http://www.enoriente.com/noticias-magazine-105/deportes-magazine-108/20900-vinotinto-del-basquet-inicio-con-pie-derecho

CKR13
07-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Greivis Vasquez had ankle surgery.

Ciscorlie Horford
04-29-2011, 07:33 PM
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://quiebrerapido.blogspot.com/2011/04/eric-musselman-ernie-kent-y-joe-wolf.html&ei=ZBK7TfSrA8Lt0gG4zsniBQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DEric%2BMusselman,%2BErnie%2BKent%2By% 2BJoe%2BWolf%2Bson%2Bcandidatos%2Bpara%2Bdirigir%2 Ba%2BVenezuela%26hl%3Den%26prmd%3Divnso

After the signing of the U.S. John Calipari as coach of the Dominican Republic, the management of the Venezuelan team reported yesterday basketball evaluated three options for several days. The curricula for Joe Wolf , Eric Musselman and veteran Ernie Kent are in the folder of the national team manager, Rolando Urdaneta. "We have a nice problem because they are quality coaches. Will drive a new strategy, "said the executive.
Last week a delegation led by Carmelo Cortez, president of the Venezuelan Federation, and Urdaneta participated in a conference in Brazil, where he contacted representatives of U.S. organized basketball. "We talked to Jim Tooley (USA Basketball executive leading to liaison between NBA and FIBA) and gave us a list of 10, but after evaluating stayed with Musselman, Kent and Wolf to define the coach to take Venezuela's Olympic Qualification Mar del Plata, "said the president of the Professional Basketball League.
Calipari was the first candidate to take command of the burgundy, but in the end no agreement was reached and was announced as coach of Dominican. "There was good communication. Arturo Alvarez, who was our liaison, was not the message we wanted. Now we will talk directly with the pre-selected, "said Urdaneta.
Musselman coached the Dominican Republic in 2010, and to bring the Reno Bighorns in the developmental league of the NBA. He worked as head coach for seven seasons in the CBA and commanded the Golden State Warriors in the 2002-2003, 2003-2004 and the Sacramento Kings in 2006-2007. "We have reports that show did good work with the Dominicans. He is young and showed much interest. Learn Basketball the continent, "Urdaneta said the strategist of 46 years of age.
Wolf, also 46, belongs to the coaching staff of the Milwaukee Bucks, was Stampide Idaho coach in the CBA and was head of the Colorado 14er in the developmental league of the NBA.
And Kent is a veteran of 61 years with extensive experience in NCAA basketball. Spent 13 seasons with the University of Oregon and coached the U.S. junior national team the past decade.

Preparation. Urdaneta said that Cortez himself saluted the preparation of the Venezuelan team for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Mar del Plata, which will be played from August 30 to September 11. Two runs, one in Venezuela and Argentina Super Four and a couple of stops in Uruguay and Cuba preparation part of the itinerary.
"We could do a camp of 10 days in the U.S. if the coach suggests. We hope to soon firm to deliver the list of players who have done, "Urdaneta said.
"Rostin Gonzalez Crocodile manager of Caracas and Urdaneta right hand in the operation of selection, is aware of everything. We need to study the profile, but will decide soon. The aim is to start with a good start this project and Venezuelan basketball solid start to take steps to improve, "he concluded.

Ciscorlie Horford
05-12-2011, 08:32 PM
venezuela and Puerto rico are fighting to get the services of teh same coach.

venezuelan News papers ahve reposted that Eric Musselman has agree to coach The Venezuelan national team while Puerto Rican New papers are reporting that Musselman is close of agreeing with the Puerto Rican Federation to coach their antional team.

guayyy que lio jejejeje :p

http://noticiaaldia.com/2011/05/eric-musselman-entra-de-nuevo-en-los-planes-de-puerto-rico/

CKR13
05-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Gregory Echenique of the Creighton Bluejays was invited to play for the National Team this summer.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/?p=11890

http://whiteandbluereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Greg-Echenique-Summer-League-1.jpg

rikhardur
06-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Eric Musselman is the NT coach.

CKR13
07-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Gregory Echenique confirmed that he will be traveling to Venezuela to join the national team pool for training.

http://omaha.com/article/20110704/BLUEJAYS/707049905

Ciscorlie Horford
07-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Eric Musselman is the NT coach.

the leftovers from Puerto Rico :D

JGX
07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Saw Greivis Vasquez and Jesus Urbina playing in the Kenner League (http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062911aaa.html) yesterday. Vasquez is sporting a very dubious beard. Fortunately there is no photography allowed.

mvblair
07-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Saw Greivis Vasquez and Jesus Urbina playing in the Kenner League (http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062911aaa.html) yesterday. Vasquez is sporting a very dubious beard. Fortunately there is no photography allowed. Great news! (Except about the dubious beard...if you can't grow a beard, buy a razor). How did Urbina look? He's going to be a starting senior this year at George Mason. Is he really 6'7"? I saw a video of him playing and he didn't look 6'.

JGX
07-17-2011, 10:11 PM
How did Urbina look? He's going to be a starting senior this year at George Mason. Is he really 6'7"? I saw a video of him playing and he didn't look 6'.

You must have him confused with someone else, he left George Mason several years ago. He was playing on a team with a lot of current Mason players though. 6'7" is about right and he is not skinny. The incoming Georgetown freshmen on the other team outplayed him.

CKR13
07-31-2011, 07:12 AM
Venezuelan Roster against the visiting Japanese National Team.

Head coach Eric Musselman fielded the Venezuelan Roster against the visiting Japanese National Team.

Greivis Vasquez
David Cubillan
Heissler Guillent
Axier Sucre
Jose Vargas
Luis Bethelmy
Gregory Echenique
Nestor Colmenares
Francisco Centeno
Dwight Lewis
Jose Bravo
Luis Valera
Maikel Flores
Windi Graterol

Sidenote: Denis D'Adezzio was taken out of the roster and expected replacement is Richard La Guaira.

Ciscorlie Horford
08-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Venezuela to play 2 games against the Japanese national (A) Team

VENEZUELA IS FACING ITS FIRST TEST AGAINST JAPAN

On Writing the Thursday, July 28, 2011
CARACAS .- This Friday and Saturday the National Team of Venezuela will be playing a series of two friendlies against Japan in the Park Miranda at 7:00 pm both meetings. These are the first two games of the pre-Olympic preparation towards the Mar del Plata, Argentina

The selection of Japan has a total of 13 players, they come with all their stars: Fumihiko Aono, Ryota Sakurai, Takumi Ishizaki, Shinsuke Kashiwagi, Takuya Kawamura, Kosuke Takeuchi, Tomoo Amino, Kenta Hirose, Joji Takeuchi, Takeki Shonaka, Makoto Nagayama, Ken Takeda and Atsuya Ota . Thomas is the Technical Director and Technical Assistant Wisman is Tomoya Higashino. The highlights of this selection is that there are three players who measured 2.06 meters and a measuring 2.10 meters. No doubt the combined native will have to battle in the paint with these players for this we have the presence of Michael Marriage, Echenique and Windi Graterol Gregory who will be rotated into the paint.

For his part, Venezuelan combo led by Eric Musselman count on Greivis Vasquez, David Cubillan, Heissler Guillent, Axier Sucre, Jose Vargas, Luis Bethelmy, Gregory Echenique, Nestor Colmenares, Francisco Centeno, Dwight Lewis, Jose Bravo, Luis Valera, Maikel Flores and Windi Graterol. The player Denis D ¨ Adezzio was removed from the selection of resenting an injury yesterday. It is expected that the player Buccaneers Richard La Guaira

Lugo will join the pre-selection and thus strengthen the position of a pivot low.

This is the first opportunity you will have the Musselman and his assistant Brad Grennberg to observe the Venezuelan players and see how they operate in the field also will be tested every play tested in the first two weeks of practice

Ciscorlie Horford
08-02-2011, 04:30 PM
First game: VNZ 91 vs JP 53 http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/laughing/laughing-019.gif

Venezuela defeated Japan in warm-up game
liderendeportes.com

Saturday, July 30, 2011

The DT Musselman said defense need to be corrected and praised ball movement, finishing with 91 against 53 from Japan:eek::eek:

Venezuela's national preselection smoothly overcame its similar Japan 91-53 in the first game of the pre-Olympic preparations with preparations to Mar del Plata, Argentina, to be played from August 30 to September 11.

The guard Greivis Vasquez left a good impression on the fans who filled the Miranda Park Arena, with the main expectation of observing the local hero who plays in the NBA with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Vasquez ended the day with 15 points, 8 assists and 7 rebounds to lead the Venezuelan attack, against an opponent that showed many technical defects and that at no time put a real opposition in the field.

Venezuela decided the match in the same first quarter with a partial closing of 22-7:eek::D:D, which the Nipponese could never recover from.

"The atmosphere was phenomenal. Our effort early in the game set the tone, "said the coach of the squad burgundy, American Eric Musselman, who started on the court David Cubillan, Vasquez, Nestor Colmenares, Windy Graterol and Gregory Echenique.

"Windy was great defensively. Greivis David played very well together, especially at the beginning, "said the strategist.

After 21 consecutive practices, the quintet was able to show the work of that the tricolor national team has been doing. They were good things, but also others in which there is much to correct.

Japan launched two baskets of 37-10 to 27 percent, but took some liberties triples to take a hit of 50 percent (16-8).

"We made many mistakes on defense than we have to clean. We got late at the pick and roll coverage and to defend the weak side, "Musselman acknowledged.

The coach was not very pleased with the offensive execution, but said it was because "we have many days of practice followed and the legs of the players are tired."

What the coach stated "ball movement and dribbling was one of my concerns and we did very well at those aspects of the game. "

Vasquez: it was seven years since the last time I played in Caracas (in the youth categories), said he was "anxious. It was a dream to play in the city where I am from. I felt good in the position two (He is a point guard in the NBA). I will do what the coach wants, I came here to work. "

Venezuela 91

Cubillán 5, 15 and 8 ast Vásquez Colmenares 7, Graterol 2, Echenique 10. 11 Vargas, Sucre 8, Guillent 7, Florida 7, Bravo 5, Bethelmy 4, Lewis 4, Marriaga 3, Rye 3. Coach: Eric Musselman.

Japan 53

Kashiwagi 7, 11 Kawamura, Amino 12, J. 3 Takeuchi, K. Takeuchi 8. Ishizaki 6, Takeda 4, Aono 1, Hirose 1, Sakurai 0, Shonaka 0, Nagayama, Ota 0. DT: Thomas Wisman.

Quaters: 22-7 / 46-19 / 65-34

I didn't think Asian countries where so weak :eek:

Ciscorlie Horford
08-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Second game: VZN 103 vs JP 67

Venezuela defeats Japan for the second imte in a row on their basketball friendly

Caracas, July 30 (Prensa Latina) Venezuela's national basketball surpassed today for a second night Japan in a friendly in preapratrions for the tournament in Mar del Plata in September that will give two tickets for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The "red wined" quintet squad dominated Japan 103-67. Japan in all honesty demanded little to the hosts in the gym Jose Carrillo in Caracas.

I am honestly shocked with how weak Asian countries outside of China are.

cardenales
08-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Outside of China? I will say that Iran is just a little stronger than China but still those teams in that part of the world are very weak.

In my prediction, Iran is going to win Fiba Asia. China does not have one player now that can match with Hammed Hehaddadi. Not to mention that Arzelen Kazemi probably is not going to be playing, but still I pick Iran over China.

Ciscorlie Horford
08-02-2011, 07:27 PM
In my prediction, Iran is going to win Fiba Asia. China does not have one player now that can match with Hammed Hehaddadi. Not to mention that Arzelen Kazemi probably is not going to be playing, but still I pick Iran over China.

I don't think China is strong at all, I just didn't want chinese peopleto get mad (Chinese peopl are very opinionated) at me for saying that Asian teams are weark so I edited what I wrote and aded the "outside of china" part :)

and Iran isn't that big of a deal either

sinobball
08-02-2011, 08:58 PM
I don't think China is strong at all, I just didn't want chinese peopleto get mad (Chinese peopl are very opinionated) at me for saying that Asian teams are weark so I edited what I wrote and aded the "outside of china" part :)

and Iran isn't that big of a deal eitherWell I'm the only Chinese dude who reads this thread so you might as well say me :)

I'm interested in how Venezuela will finish in FIBA Americas this year now with Vasquez in the mix. If anything, 4th-5th teams in FIBA Americas have not done any better than high-level Asian teams in the worlds:

2006 World Championship: the worst Americas teams were 17th, 21st, and 23rd; the worst Asian teams 18th, 20th and 24th. (including Japan 20th, Venezuela 21st). 2010 World Championship: the worst Americas teams were 18th and 22nd; the worst Asian teams 19th, 20th and 23rd.

Or are you saying 2 exhibition games carry more weight than World Champs?

PRSURF
08-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Well I'm the only Chinese dude who reads this thread so you might as well say me :)

I'm interested in how Venezuela will finish in FIBA Americas this year now with Vasquez in the mix. If anything, 4th-5th teams in FIBA Americas have not done any better than high-level Asian teams in the worlds:

2006 World Championship: the worst Americas teams were 17th, 21st, and 23rd; the worst Asian teams 18th, 20th and 24th. (including Japan 20th, Venezuela 21st). 2010 World Championship: the worst Americas teams were 18th and 22nd; the worst Asian teams 19th, 20th and 23rd.

Or are you saying 2 exhibition games carry more weight than World Champs?
Oh please sinoball, you know that China have being lucky in these pass two world championships.

sinobball
08-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Oh please sinoball, you know that China have being lucky in these pass two world championships.Even if we focus on head-to-head matchups between China and Puerto Rico (and not on the fact that China won the tiebreaker both times :D), we should also see the other head-to-head matchups which are: Japan > Panama; Lebanon > Canada; Lebanon > Venezuela. That's 3-2 in favor of Asia when you pitch the 4th/5th placers in Americas against Asia. Did I mention that China finished higher than Puerto Rico both times? :D

The point here is, if Asian teams are weak (and they are), so are all American teams besides USA, Argentina and Brazil. So I don't know what some of your sense of superiority come from.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I guess it was already OT before I stepped in. :)

PRSURF
08-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Even if we focus on head-to-head matchups between China and Puerto Rico (and not on the fact that China won the tiebreaker both times :D), we should also see the other head-to-head matchups which are: Japan > Panama; Lebanon > Canada; Lebanon > Venezuela. That's 3-2 in favor of Asia when you pitch the 4th/5th placers in Americas against Asia. Did I mention that China finished higher than Puerto Rico both times? :D

The point here is, if Asian teams are weak (and they are), so are all American teams besides USA, Argentina and Brazil. So I don't know what some of your sense of superiority come from.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I guess it was already OT before I stepped in. :)ok, you win...:D

tres equis
08-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Even if we focus on head-to-head matchups between China and Puerto Rico (and not on the fact that China won the tiebreaker both times :D), we should also see the other head-to-head matchups which are: Japan > Panama; Lebanon > Canada; Lebanon > Venezuela. That's 3-2 in favor of Asia when you pitch the 4th/5th placers in Americas against Asia. Did I mention that China finished higher than Puerto Rico both times? :D

Sorry for derailing the thread. I guess it was already OT before I stepped in. :)

I've never understand why people wanna make it seem like brazil is this super team when in fact they never won anything :confused:...the only really strong teams in this continent are the usa and argentina because of their achievements in world championships and the olympics, and because of their style of play, I.Q, etc...brazil is not on their level, neither puerto rico.....yet.

rikhardur
08-03-2011, 02:08 AM
I've never understand why people wanna make it seem like brazil is this super team when in fact they never won anything :confused:...
They already had medals at every championship...

JGX
08-03-2011, 03:59 AM
Is Japan playing any more games in the Americas or did they just go to Venezuela? Kind of a strange trip if this is it.

Honduras beat Mongolia in the Jones Cup a long time ago, so everyone has to admit that the Americas deserve a 20th spot in the WC before Asia.

planaria
08-03-2011, 04:17 AM
I've never understand why people wanna make it seem like brazil is this super team when in fact they never won anything :confused:...the only really strong teams in this continent are the usa and argentina because of their achievements in world championships and the olympics, and because of their style of play, I.Q, etc...brazil is not on their level, neither puerto rico.....yet.

Well, Brazil has a big basketball history. The country is the last Americas champion and has 3 PanAm titles in a row.

Ok, we had a TERRIBLE era with our last CBB president, but if you look at the last results you´ll see that we should be more respected (like in the WC, losting for USA and Argentina for a minimal margin).

CKR13
08-03-2011, 04:31 AM
Is Japan playing any more games in the Americas or did they just go to Venezuela? Kind of a strange trip if this is it.

Honduras beat Mongolia in the Jones Cup a long time ago, so everyone has to admit that the Americas deserve a 20th spot in the WC before Asia.

Japan is scheduled to play the Mexican National Team next. Originally, the Japanese Federation wanted atleast a game with the Dominican Republic but the Federation (after hearing the thoughts of Calipari) turned down the offer.

tres equis
08-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Well, Brazil has a big basketball history. The country is the last Americas champion and has 3 PanAm titles in a row.

Ok, we had a TERRIBLE era with our last CBB president, but if you look at the last results you´ll see that we should be more respected (like in the WC, losting for USA and Argentina for a minimal margin).

I know brazil has a great basketball history and i respect that, i was talking about in more recent times you know....in big tournaments that really matters like olympics and world championships when teams like the usa and argentina played great tournaments and came home with medals...brazil, puerto rico and the rest of the american teams always play below expectations in those big competitions.

Khalid80
08-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Second game: VZN 103 vs JP 67

I am honestly shocked with how weak Asian countries outside of China are.

Well Lebanon did beat Venezuela in the 2006 World Championships 82-72...

This years' Venezuelan roster doesn't have any name from the 2006 roster if i'm not mistaken....I'm sure the addition of coach Musselman is a big plus for the team as well.

In 2006 their roster consisted of:

4 V*ctor D*az
5 Pablo Machado
6 Yumerving Ernesto Mijares
7 Richard Lugo
8 Tomás Aguilera
9 Oscar Torres
10 Carlos Alberto Cedeno
11 Miguel Marriaga
12 Gregory Vallenilla
13 Manuel Alejandro Barrios
14 Heberth Alberto Bayona
15 Carlos Morris

Coach: Néstor Salazar

GustavoGanso
08-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Brazil had internal problems in last few years

had a bad coach (Lula Ferreira, is the Manolo Cintrón of Brazil :D) bad mentality on the court, defense, trying to play only in fast break with speed like USA, but we don't have the same quality, after 2007, Moncho came to Brazil and started a new job to Brazil play with european game style (we won the fiba americas in Puerto Rico houses), he left, and Magnano (olympic champion with USA and second place in WC 2002) came to continuous the job and did a good job last year in Turkey.

we never played with complete roster, always missing some important players.

Brazil have a project for 2016, and this project started last year.

look our team this year

Nene, Varejao, Barbosa, Valtinho and Larry Taylor are out.

its a other start five team :(

but I believe in Magnanos job and I hope we can play 50-50 with Dominican and Pur.

Ciscorlie Horford
08-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Warn-up game Venezuela vs Cuba

http://www.seeon.tv/view/9448/

2nd quater, 25 - 20 VNZL leads

CKR13
02-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Eric Musselman Will Return To Coach Venezuela National Team (http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2012/1/30/2758059/d-fenders-eric-musselman-will-return-to-coach-venezuela-national-team)

rikhardur
02-28-2012, 03:17 AM
VEN - Opportunity knocks for Vásquez and NT

NEW ORLEANS (FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament) - Greivis Vásquez wants to take responsibility and be the leader of Venezuela’s basketball team when his country hosts the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT).

The 25-year-old guard, who plays for the New Orleans Hornets, says the aim is not only to claim one of three qualifying places for the Summer Games in London but to also promote the sport in his homeland.

"Personally, I think I should be the leader and the objective is to qualify,” Vásquez said.

"I've had a chance to speak with some of my teammates in the Venezuela national team and with them, I share the same sentiment.

"We're full of hope and excited about playing in front of our fans and family.

"Néstor Colmenares, Héctor "Pepito" Romero and David Cubillán have told me they're motivated and can't wait to start the fight for the Olympic places.”

The OQT will be the most important basketball event ever held in Caracas.

"One thing I am convinced of is that whatever happens, the tournament will provide motivation for young basketball players and thus promote the development of sport in the country,” Vásquez said.

“I also hope that the event is able to inspire our government officials and motivate them to build courts that are not there, or fix up those in poor condition.”

The only time Venezuela have played at an Olympic Games was in Barcelona in 1992.

In the 12-team OQT, Venezuela will compete in Group B with Lithuania and Nigeria.

Should they finish in the top two, Vásquez and Co will take on Greece, Jordan or Puerto Rico in the Quarter-Finals.

The winners of the Quarter-Finals will advance to the last four and the two sides that prevail in the Semi-Finals will clinch spots in London.

The losers of the Semi-Finals will then play in the final game of the OQT and the winners will progress to London.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/50712/arti.html

rikhardur
03-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Preliminary roster for the Olympics additional qualifying round:

Greivis Vásquez
Jesús Centeno
Windi Graterol
Néstor Colmenares
Luis Bethemi
Heissler Guillent
David Cubillan
Oscar Torres
Héctor Romero
Rafael Pérez
Gregory Echenique
Miguel Marriaga
Dwight Lewis Padrón
Francisco Centeno
José Bravo
Luis Valera
José Vargas
Michael Carrera
John Cox
Anthony Pérez
Jhorman Zamora
Gregory Vargas
Jesús Urbina

Source (http://cocodrilos.com.ve/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=436:jugadores-del-caracas-a-la-pre-seleccion-nacional&catid=1:ultimas-noticias&Itemid=138)

CKR13
04-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Preparations for hosting the tournament is as scheduled.
http://www.elimpulso.com/noticias/deportes/5189-fiba-inspecciona-de-nuevo-a-venezuela

CKR13
05-08-2012, 12:12 AM
FIBA | VEN - Stage is being set (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/51531/arti.html)

Mojado
06-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Mexico beat Venezuela in Venezuela by three points in a first test. Greivis led the Venezuelans in scoring. Mexico is preparing for the Centrobasket in Puerto Rico.

sixama23
06-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Mexico beat Venezuela in Venezuela by three points in a first test. Greivis led the Venezuelans in scoring. Mexico is preparing for the Centrobasket in Puerto Rico.

It was Venezuela which won by 3, 86-83...
That was the first game of Super 4 Cup in Caracas.
Scoring for Venezuela NT:

Greivis Vasquez 41, Heissler Guillent 14, Jose Juan Bravo 11

Mojado
06-04-2012, 08:03 AM
It was Venezuela which won by 3, 86-83...
That was the first game of Super 4 Cup in Caracas.
Scoring for Venezuela NT:

Greivis Vasquez 41, Heissler Guillent 14, Jose Juan Bravo 11

You are right...it was too early in the morning ;)

Straight forward
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Venezuela also beats Brazil 76:59. Vasquez 19 points. I wonder what was Brazil's lineup in that game.

carlo
06-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Venezuela also beats Brazil 76:59. Vasquez 19 points. I wonder what was Brazil's lineup in that game.

http://www.cbb.com.br/noticias/showrelease.asp?artigo=9885

Vitor Benite (15) and Rafael Luz (11) high scorers for Brazil.

JGX
06-20-2012, 03:42 AM
Venezuela loses 90-87 to Argentina B in a very entertaining game, Leo Gutierrez hit a three with 1.5 seconds left to win it. They should beat Colombia tomorrow and advance to the semis of the Sudamericano.

GustavoGanso
06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Venezuela loses 90-87 to Argentina B in a very entertaining game, Leo Gutierrez hit a three with 1.5 seconds left to win it. They should beat Colombia tomorrow and advance to the semis of the Sudamericano.

now they will play against Brazil B again, now for the semi-finals.

Federoy
06-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Very disappointing end to Venezuela's South American Championship run. It's difficult to beat any host nation on their homecourt, but they were embarassed pretty badly by a B level Argentinian team, 79-56. There will be much tougher opposition in Caracus for the OQT, so I hope Venezuela can take something out of this experience and use it to their advantage in front of their home crowd. As it stands, Venezuela must beat at least two of the five power teams (Puerto Rico, Dominican Rep., Greece, Russia and Lithuania) in order to advance to London.

Walken
06-26-2012, 09:41 AM
for upcoming super4 t-t:
Greivis Vásquez, David Cubillán, Héctor Romero - rest, limited min (maybe out)
Miguel Marriaga, José Bravo, Grégory Echenique - more time in comp w/Sud
John Cox, Oscar Torres, Rafael Pérez - in

OSHAFA
06-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Any idea about the broadcasting of the Super 4 Tournament ?

JGX
06-27-2012, 02:32 AM
Venezuela 81 Jordan 42
http://www.liderendeportes.com/Noticias/Baloncesto/Venezuela-bailo-joropo-con-Jordania.aspx

Stats: http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/16054/03/99/77/821888CU748TA

No Vasquez or a couple others for Venezuela.

JGX
06-28-2012, 02:22 AM
Venezuela 90 Angola 83. Venezuela had a comfortable lead for most of the game, Angola rallied in the fourth quarter to make the final score closer.
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/16054/03/99/77/821888CU748TA

macleopard13
06-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Venezuela 90 Angola 83. Venezuela had a comfortable lead for most of the game, Angola rallied in the fourth quarter to make the final score closer.
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/16054/03/99/77/821888CU748TA

Is that the final roster for Venezuela? It looks like it, with all the numbers (4-15) on players.

JGX
06-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Venezuela-Dominican Rep stream: http://www.tves.gob.ve/senal/EnVivo/senal.html
Live stats: http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/16054/03/99/77/821888CU748TA

Venezuela up 42-32 at halftime. Vasquez is back for Venezuela and has 16 points. DR has Horford and Martinez tonight but Martinez was ejected from the game in the second quarter.

JGX
06-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Venezuela and DR headed to overtime tied at 76 as Vasquez hits a three to tie it with a second left. DR made a big rally at the start of the second half to take the lead, then it was back and forth in the fourth quarter. Horford hasn't played since a couple minutes left in the third.

JGX
06-29-2012, 02:18 AM
DR wins it 88-84 in overtime.

macleopard13
06-29-2012, 02:20 AM
Greivis Vasquez 3/14 3PT. Really sad for a PG :D.

JGX
06-29-2012, 02:31 AM
Well, they go as far as Vasquez takes them. He was 23/44 from three in the FIBA-Americas last year. Made some big plays tonight despite his poor outside shooting.

sinobball
07-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Venezuela 89-73 Korea
VEN: Flores 20, Centeno 14+7, Urnina 14, Zamora 11
KOR: Choi Jin-soo 14, Kim Sun-hyung 13, Lee Jong-Hyun 11

Vasquez, Cox and Echenique DNP. Lee Jong-hyun is a high school kid.

basketvenezuela
07-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Venezuela play today with players who were eliminated from the final roster
the final roster is
PG (3) Greivis Vasquez, David Cubillán, Gregory Vargas
SG (2) Jhon Cox and Jhornan Zamora
SF(2)Oscar Torres y Jose Vargas
AF (3) Hector Romero, Axiers Sucre and Windi Graterol
C (2)Gregory Echenique and Miguel Marriaga
sorry for my English

Rotela
07-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Read the preview Of the games from a Nigerian perspective..

http://nigerian-basketball.blogspot.co.uk/

CKR13
09-17-2012, 11:41 PM
The president of the Venezuelan basketball federation stated in an article from FIBA that Eric Musselman's coaching status is yet resolved as quarters are divided in the camp on whether to retain him or not for next year's FIBA World Cup Americas qualifiers.

CKR13
03-12-2013, 11:33 PM
A head coach is expected to be announced no later than Friday this week.

CKR13
03-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Nestor "Che" Garcia was named head coach.

CKR13
03-26-2013, 11:14 PM
VEN - National team workouts likely in America

CARACAS (FIBA Americas Championship/FIBA Basketball World Cup) - Venezuela are going to spend a substantial amount of time in the United States in the build-up to the FIBA Americas Championship in order to avoid distractions at home.

The President of the country's basketball federation, Carmelo Cortez, says the likely location for the team's training camp is the University of Maryland, where national team star Greivis Vasquez played American college basketball and had his jersey retired.

The idea is to have the first phase of training in Venezuela 1-19 July, and then to hold workouts in America from 20 July to 15 August.

"Normally, players tend to get distracted in Venezuela," Cortez said.

"It makes sense because they have family nearby and after spending several months traveling with their teams they want to be with their loved ones.

"The wives, parents, siblings call them and obviously they are not able to focus.

"The idea is to avoid that so they have the peace of mind you need."

As for the recently appointed coach, Nestor "Che" Garcia, Cortez has revealed to the Venezuelan media that he still needs to meet the Argentinian "to finish sealing the contract" although that is thought to be more of a formality.

"We must review the terms and make clear what the commitments, obligations, rights and duties are. This is so that there are no problems and everything is clear.

"The second point is that we will try planning and finalizing the roster."

Garcia is right now in Argentina leading Boca Juniors in the play-offs, and Cortez doesn't want to distract him.

The President doesn't expect veteran sharpshooter Oscar Torres to reconsider his decision to retire from the national team.

Torres has been a long-time player in the squad and featured at last year's FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

At 36, he has decided to call it a day with the national team.

"Oscar has been one of the most disciplined and respected players to have been selected in recent years, and we respect his decision," Cortez said.

"We've talked and he has also reiterated his decision to the press.

"It is a decision and, apparently, there is no turning back."

Cortez added, however, that "if he changes his mind, the doors are open."

Venezuela are hosting the FIBA Americas Championship and looking to claim a top four finish to seal a place at the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.

Twenty-seven players are being considered for national team duty. They are: Greivis Vasquez, David Cubillan, Gregory Vargas, Jesus Centeno, Carlos Cedeno, Heissler Guillent, Jhornan Zamora, John Cox, Douglas Chiquito, Rafael Perez, Dwight Lewis, Jose Vargas, Anthony Perez, Michael Carrera, Francisco Centeno, Lenin Lopez, Kevin Caraballo, Michael Flores, Windi Graterol, Hector Romero, Nestor Colmenares, Axiers Sucre, Tulio Cobos, Jesus Urbina, Juan Coronado, Luis Bethelmy and Gregory Echenique.

-FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/55194/arti.html)

PRSURF
05-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Greivis Vasquez out for the Americas Championship

sixama23
07-05-2013, 04:38 AM
VEN2013 - Venezuela will begin its concentration next week

7/2/2013

The National Basketball Team starts its concentration this coming week, the camp will feature four stages, beginning in Caracas on Sunday, July 7 when players and multidisciplinary staff should report to the hotel to start on Monday 08 the workouts. During this first stage, the process of documents and drug testing will be held. Players who are contesting the final of the LPB will join the after the league has ended. At the end of this period, which runs until July 17, the first cut will be revealed, leaving only 16 players.

The preselected team was named official by Carmelo Cortez, President of the Venezuelan Basketball Federation, this Friday: Héctor Romero, Dwight Lewis, David Cubillan, Jhornan Zamora, Rafael Pérez, Tulio Cobos, César Silva, Heissler Guillen, Jesús Urbina, José Bravo, Kevin Palacios, Juan Coronado, Heberto Guanipa, Anthony Pérez, Michael Carrera, Néstor Colmenares, Windy Graterol, Luis Bethelmi, Len*n Lopez, Francisco Centeno, Carlos Cedeño, Axiers Sucre, Gregory Vargas, José Vargas, Miguel Marriaga, Gregory Echenique y Greivis Vázquez, this players will be placed under the command of head coach, Nestor Garcia.

The second stage will be in Tampa, Florida, USA, and will be from Thursday, July 18 to Wednesday, July 31. During this training camp there are plans to travel to Spain to hold 6 games against the teams of, Angola, Senegal and Ivory Coast. August 15, the team will travel back to Venezuela.

Back in Caracas, they will play two matches against Brazil, August 18 and 19. The 24th to the 26th of August, the team will play the Super 4 Israel Sarmiento Cup in Maracaibo, with the teams of Mexico, Jamaica, and Uruguay, once the Cup has ended, the team will travel to Caracas to start the FIBA Americas Championship.

Recall that Venezuela will have its first match against Mexico, on Friday, August 30 at 7:30 pm.

Source: http://www.caracas2013.com/en/noticiasread4.asp?r=B05F7E7B093244379D0D0612411436 35

Vasquez is still unsure if he will play or not. He still needs at least 4 more weeks of rehabilitation.

sixama23
08-03-2013, 04:38 AM
After 3 friendly games against Nigeria in the States, the Venezuelan NT will continue their preparations in Spain. They have been in Madrid since Thursday night. A friendly game against Angola is going to be played on Monday 5th August. Carlos Cedeno has left the team after USA training camp.

Players who are with the team at the moment:

David Cubillan
Heissler Guillent
Gregory Vargas
Jhornan Zamora
Rafael Pérez
César Silva
José Vargas
Derwin Ramirez
Hector Romero
Axiers Sucre
Windy Graterol
Nestor Colmenares
Luis Bethelmy
Juan Coronado
Heberto Guanipa
Miguel Marriaga

Gregory Echenique announced that he isn't going to play this summer and Greivis Vasquez is still doubtful. His recovery is going very well and he is willing to play but the Kings have raised concerns regarding his participation at the FIBA Americas Tournament.

Mojado
08-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Donta Smith is now Venezuelan.
http://www.liderendeportes.com/Noticias/Baloncesto/Donta-Smith-jugara-con-la-vinotinto-de-baloncesto.aspx

Kante
08-27-2013, 09:43 PM
14 players with the team:

Miguel Marriaga
Gregory Vargas
Heissler Guillent
Jhornan Zamora
David Cubillán
José Vargas
Luis Bethelmy
Héctor Romero
Axiers Sucre
Rafael Pérez
Windy Graterol
Len*n López
Heberto Guanipa
Néstor Colmenare

http://pasionxelbasquetblog.blogspot.de/2013/08/venezuela-se-entrena-en-caracas.html

CKR13
01-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Venezuela vs. Brazil for the wildcards: http://www.noticias24.com/venezuela/noticia/219708/venezuela-pagara-la-contribucion-para-aspirar-por-la-invitacion-al-mundial-de-baloncesto-en-espana/

CKR13
01-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Vasquez: Playing in the World Cup is a dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZqfTsHzz5I

CKR13
07-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Vasquez confirms participation for the South America Margarita Cup with Venezuela.
http://www.elsoldemargarita.com.ve/posts/post/id:135827/Greivis-V%C3%A1squez-jugar%C3%A1-en-Suramericano-de-Baloncesto

CKR13
01-22-2015, 03:02 AM
Remembering Carlos Morris. RIP.
http://www.eluniversal.com/deportes/baloncesto/150121/carlos-morris-tuvo-una-larga-y-fructifera-carrera-en-la-lpb

CKR13
01-26-2015, 12:20 AM
A good read on former NT captain Richard Lugo.
http://www.eluniversal.com/deportes/baloncesto/150125/richard-lugo-me-falto-ir-a-los-juegos-olimpicos

CKR13
01-31-2015, 02:17 AM
On the federations' proposed re-alignment of the LPB to be in sync with FIBA's impending change in its qualifications format. LPB to start in October and end sometime in May or June.
http://www.entornointeligente.com/articulo/4895247/Federacion-pide-a-LPB-iniciar-en-octubre-30012015

CKR13
03-05-2015, 12:55 AM
Vasquez confided to the federation that he plans to play in the Pan Americas games and FIBA Americas.
http://www.eluniversal.com/deportes/150304/todos-suenan-con-estar-en-rio

CKR13
09-14-2015, 04:01 AM
Good read about their recent success and conquer of FIBA Americas.
http://www.eluniversal.com/deportes/baloncesto/150913/julio-toro-esta-venezuela-mostro-millaje-y-madurez-de-ideas

CKR13
01-22-2016, 10:27 PM
New website for the federation:http://fvbaloncesto.com.ve

CKR13
02-15-2016, 10:44 PM
FIBA warns Venezuela about the oustanding debt and breech of license by the Pipers, if not unsolved could cost them the Rio Olympics.
http://www.liderendeportes.com/movil/detalle-noticia.aspx?idNoticia=178047