Interview: Sarunas Jasikevicius about his first days in Pacers, 2005-08-27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview: Sarunas Jasikevicius about his first days in Pacers, 2005-08-27

(Originally posted by Sashikas, 08-27-2005, 01:24 AM)

From the basketball crazy Tel Aviv to sick with basket fever Indianapolis

Sarunas Jasikevicius knows how to choose teams, which are loved by the fans and which are reaching for the highest goals. The 29 year old point guard doesn't know how to loose.

The lithuanian will make his debut in NBA this autumn. He got #3 jersey of Indiana Pacers.

"This is the team, with which we are able to compete for the champions titie", - the main reason, defined by the player, which also was wanted in Cleveland, Salk Lake City, Portland and Seattle.

Three time Euroleague champion S.Jasikevicius on 11th of August has put his signature on a three-year 12 milion value contract with Pacers.

"In Indianapolis I was for three days. During all that time I not only signed the contract, but also have passed the medical test. Everything was OK with that. Moreover, it seems, that I have found myself a place, where to live".

The coach of Pacers Rick Carlisle himself gave a hand to find an apartment.

And three-time NBA champion legendary Larry Bird has invited the lithuanian to his place to taste grilled steaks. This was another piece of attention from the current Pacers basketball operation president to S.Jasikevicius.

193 cm guard got to USA with the physical coach of "Maccabi" Avi Kowalsky. After he cleared things up in Indianapolis, lithuanian visited his good friend Zydrunas Ilgauskas in Cleveland for several days.

A.Kowalsky, who accompanied S.Jasikevicius in the trip, not only wanted to see NBA behind-the-scenes, but also to be sure, that Pacers will treat the playmaker right.

During two years in Israel the lithuanian became the fan favorite in that country.

On the other side of Atlantics he will be reaching for the same: "Everything is nice in Indianapolis for now, people are pleasant, they are caring for me. L.Bird and the owner of the club Donnie Walsh met me in the in New York. All I have to do now is to play well".

- The other lithuanian, who is set for the debut in NBA this autumn Arvydas Macijauskas was teaching americans to pronounce his name during his first visit in New Orleans. How about you?
    - I also did that, because my name is longer and more complicated. So I taught longer, though the americans couldnt pronaunce it anyhow. I told them to call me "Saras", but they also faced difficulties to pronounce it. I hope they will learn that after a while.

- In 2000 when you arrived to "Barcelona" you got your favorite #13 from Juan Carlos Navarro. In Pacers this number belongs to center David Harrison. Haven't you ask him to pick another number?
    - I didn't try to. I was told, that #13 is taken, so I thought about all other possible numbers, which would be associated with this number and could be on my jersey. I never liked #4, which I was wearing when started to play for the national team (#13 was taken by Darius Maskoliunas). Moreover, this number is taken by Eddie Gill in Indiana. #31 - 13 from another direction- I guess, is also taken. Then I tryed to gen at least half of the favorite number. #1 belongs to Stephen Jackson, so I got #3. I am glad to get this number also because I always admired the legendary coatian Drazen Petrovic, who was wearing #3 in NBA.

- Though you have played in NCAA for several years, you visited Indianapolis for the first time. What impression did the city make to you?
    - It was very hot. And city as all the cities in America. There is no famous place of interest there, as USA is quite young country. It is pleasant, that people love basketball in Indiana, it is the most popular teamsport in the state. People are admiring not only the Pacers, but also are interested in high school and college basketball teams, so that is because Indiana is recognized as the basketball state.

- Have you met Jurgita Streimikyte, who is playing for Indiana Fever?
    - No. I think, at the moment, when I was visiting there, "Fever" were on the road, as US gymnastics championship took place in the Conseco Fieldhouse.

- What are your impressions of Pacers club?
    - The training and the competition building complex is really impressive - because of his size, the equipment they have, and also because the treatment of the players. The locker rooms are very cozy, with bathrooms and saunas - there is everything you might need. I haven't seen such a complex for basketball players in Europe.

- Have you met any players of Pacers?
    - Before flying to Indianapolis I have spent a day in New York with Danny Granger, who was selected in this years Draft. I have talked a lot by the phone with Jermaine O'Neal, S.Jackson, Ron Artest, head coach R.Carlisle and his assistant Chuck Person.While I was deciding, which NBA team to choose, they were calling and telling, that everybody wants me there, or something alike. The first call I received from the players was from Jermaine O'Neal - I was a bit surprized, but understand it perfectly, that player himself wouldn't think of calling. Somebody asked him to - maybe it was the president, maybe coach.

- What american journalists were interested most, when Pacers have introduced you to the public?
    - It was a standart conference. I said: "Hello, I am glad that I am here", Pacers representatives answered: "We are glad to have him". There weren't anything special, they introduced me, took a picture of me with my new jersey, and that's it.

- Did people in Indianapolis recognize you already?
    - Some of them said, that they know me, but overall - not much. I haven't felt such popularity as in Tel Aviv. Americans doesn't have the reason to point with their fingers at me.

- When you are planing to go to Indianapolis again?
    - I haven't decided yet, and nobody told me when I have to be there. But I understand, that I should be there a week before the start of the training. At least several days before. I know, that I have to be in good condition, well prepared for the upcomming season.

- Not so long ago you have mentioned, that you wouldn't make a european tripple now, not talking about the one in NBA, which is 80 cm further.
    - I didn't have the ball in my hands since the end of Israeli championship. I am fed up with basketball and still didn't miss it. But in Tel Aviv with Maccabi players and my friends, because you have to do something, as later on it might be worse. But I won't lie to you - I don't put all the neccessary efforts.

- How do you spend your vacation?
    - I don't do anything special - just meet my friends, lay on the beach, sometimes we go somewhere.

- Are you interested in the national team news and its preparation for the European championship?
    - I am browsing in internet each day, so I know the situation. Though I won't play for the team this year, I am interested, what happens in it.
Working...
X

Debug Information