Official Andrew Bogut Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Andrew Bogut Thread

The article below purely demonstrates the of character this young man embodies: A WINNER & a TEAM PLAYER. That's the beauty of this Aussie.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 ยท Last updated 7:48 a.m. PT

Bogut looks to win first, score second
    By CHRIS JENKINS
    AP SPORTS WRITER

MILWAUKEE -- Andrew Bogut starts to feel dizzy, and his vision gets blurry. If the Milwaukee Bucks' rookie center doesn't recognize the onset of a migraine headache and take his medication right away, it quickly gets worse.

"It's terrible," Bogut said. "It's just like someone's hitting a hammer inside your head."

The chronic headaches also affected Bogut in college, sometimes leaving him bedridden for the day.

His last episode came March 24 in Los Angeles, and he didn't have his medication with him. Bogut had 10 points and five rebounds against the Lakers anyway.

It's that kind of understated toughness from Bogut that has helped the Bucks pull off a modest turnaround this season, Milwaukee general manager Larry Harris says.

"I talk about his basketball knowledge and his competitiveness all the time," Harris said. "A lot of guys don't know how mentally tough he is."

There hasn't been a lot of national buzz this season about Bogut, a consensus player of the year in college at Utah and the No. 1 pick in last year's draft.

He has scored more than 20 points only twice, and his biggest areas of contribution to date - defense and rebounding on a team that isn't known for either - don't get him on television highlight shows.

But Bogut would rather be known as a winner than a scorer, something he senses isn't the case with some other NBA players.

"It's human nature," Bogut said. "Some guys want to be the best, and that's how they show it. Me? I think being the best means winning games."

Bogut does have one stat in his favor: Only three other No. 1 picks since 1985 - Tim Duncan, Chris Weber and David Robinson - have taken their team to the playoffs as rookies.

Any deeper meaning there?

"I think I was just lucky to get drafted by a decent organization," Bogut said.

But Bucks coach Terry Stotts says Bogut has contributed a lot to the Bucks' improvement, from a 30-52 record last season to 40-42.

"What he's accomplished this year is kind of what Andrew's about: He's about winning, and doing what he needs to do for the team to be successful," Stotts said.

Bogut doesn't score a lot, but the Bucks haven't asked him to. He attempted 10 or more shots in only 19 games this season.

"He could have averaged six or seven more points, easily," Harris said, "if he was more selfish."

The shots Bogut has taken have been smart ones; his 53.3 field goal percentage ranks fifth in the league. The Bucks have yet to let him loose, but others have noticed his offensive skills.

"He gets out on the break," Washington Wizards coach Eddie Jordan said. "He runs well for a big guy. He's a good passer. ... We can't let him catch it too deep in the post - he's got too many nice post moves down there."

Hall of Fame inductee Charles Barkley said New Orleans/Oklahoma City guard Chris Paul is the overwhelming favorite for rookie of the year, but the Bucks should be happy with Bogut.

"I think Milwaukee's made a great selection," said Barkley, an analyst for TNT television. "The kid's going to be solid for the next several years."

Bogut, who was raised by Croatian parents in Australia, has a quiet demeanor. But he does show an occasional glimmer of the freewheeling frankness you'd expect from an Aussie.

Asked last weekend how the Bucks could blow out New York and lose to Atlanta back-to-back, Bogut said the difference was that the Hawks were still playing hard.

"New York had half their team on the injury list, and I think most of those guys are already back vacationing," he said.

Bogut doesn't back down physically, either.

"He's never been afraid," Harris said. "He's one of those guys who's very confident about himself. And if it means he's got to get dirty and get nasty or take a hard foul or have to stand up for himself, he'll do that."

Bogut's toughness helps deflate the long-held belief that players from overseas play a finesse-oriented brand of basketball.

Of his experiences in Europe - including playing for Australia in the 2004 Athens Olympics - Bogut said, "It's definitely more finesse, but there's still guys over there that will beat the crap out of you. There's guys like Ben Wallace in Europe."

Bogut says he has adjusted to the physical style of play in the NBA, but admits the long season and travel schedule have worn on him.

"I think he's gotten a second wind," Stotts said. "Recently, his energy's very good. I think he's been very effective around the basket. It's been a long year, and it's good to see him bounce back."

Bogut scored a season-high 24 against Atlanta April 15, and the team has been running its offense through him more frequently. Still, he's not looking to score first.

"Hopefully, I'll develop, but obviously the first few years are going to be an adjustment for me," he said.

Can he become a big-time scorer?

"You know, Gary Payton scored seven points a game as a rookie and evolved into a 20-point scorer," Stotts said. "So I think he has the basketball IQ and the basketball skills that his scoring, it wouldn't surprise me if it increases for the first five, six years of his career."

Is Bogut right? Will the tide turn in anyway shape or form? Objectively speaking NO. I'm predicting for the Pistons to win it all over Dallas or San Antonio in 7 games. I could imagine this year's finals being one of the best because there will be more offense (YEAH).

Bogut vows to stop the rot
    Grantley Bernard
    28apr06

ANDREW Bogut played the most minutes of anyone on his team but still couldn't stop the Milwaukee Bucks losing again in the NBA playoffs.

The Bucks fell to the Detroit Pistons 109-98 yesterday and trail 2-0 in the best-of-seven series, leaving them plenty of work to do as the contest heads to Milwaukee. "There's no way we're going to lose game three and (then) come back and win this (series),'' Bogut said.
    "There's not going to be any fairytales. We need to get game three.''

Rather than being pessimistic, Bogut was being honest, knowing the depth, experience and talent of the Pistons is going to be tough to overcome at any time, let alone in the playoffs.

Playing 39 minutes yesterday, Bogut had eight points, 13 rebounds and four assists, but it wasn't enough to ward off the Pistons, who won the NBA championship two seasons ago and lost in the finals last year.

"No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

Bogut to Boomers
    By James Dampney, Townsville Bulletin
    28apr06

MILWAUKEE: Bucks rookie Andrew Bogut is prepared to ignore instructions from his National Basketball Association club and honour his commitment to play for Australia in the world championship in Japan.

Clubs in the US typically frown on players spending the off-season playing for their respective nations rather than resting ahead of another gruelling NBA campaign.

In 1996, Australia's Luc Longley chose to respect his club Chicago's wishes to have off-season surgery, forcing him to miss the Olympic Games in Atlanta, where the Boomers finished fourth.

But Bogut, 21, is prepared to buck the trend.

He got his first taste of the senior national team during the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens.

Since being drafted No.1 overall by Milwaukee last year, he has repeatedly stated he will be available to don the green and gold at the Olympics and the world championships, starting with this year's titles in August.

It's a call he intends to honour, even if it goes against the Bucks' wishes.

"At the end of the day, I would only be playing for my country every two years," Bogut told Sydney radio station 2KY today.

"I'm going to need rest every now and then but I love playing for my country, you cannot explain it.

"Playing in the green and gold is something that I grew up dreaming to do.

"They can tell me all they want, if they tell me I'm not going to play I'm still going to play (for Australia)."

Bogut is currently starting for the Bucks in their first-round Eastern Conference play-off series against Detroit.

He has averaged nine points, 10 boards and 3.5 assists in the Bucks' two losses in the best-of-seven series, with game three to be held in Milwaukee on Sunday.

"I don't think there is anything better than playing for your country," Bogut said.

"To put on the green and gold, there is so much more team camaraderie and the guys are in it to win.

"They're not really playing for the money, you're playing for the country.

"So it's a much different type of game, and we are very excited about the rebuilding stage of the Boomers.

"A few veterans have retired and left it for the younger guys now, and the next 12 years are going to be an exciting time for the Boomers program."

Bogut expects to show plenty of improvement next year.

"I think there's a lot of games where I could have done more, situations I could have done more," he said of his rookie season.

"Coming into next season, I am looking to do a whole lot better.

"I was disappointed with the way the season panned out and I'm looking to build it next year."
    This is what every country wants to hear. Bogut is a young, budding star. If anybody is going to play for their team, Bogut will.

Matt
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

I think Saski is right, with Bogut and Schenscher and Anderson Australia will have a powerful interior presence. After all Bogut had always excelled in international competitions, starting from winning the World U19 MVP in 2003.
      aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball
        I think Saski is right, with Bogut and Schenscher and Anderson Australia will have a powerful interior presence. After all Bogut had always excelled in international competitions, starting from winning the World U19 MVP in 2003.
        Yeah! I'm excited about our frontcourt: 2 NBA players, 1 Euroleague star, 1 Euroleague import (Matt Nielsen) and a former ULEB Cup import & NBA player in Chris Anstey. Though I do find it a bit overcrowded compared to back in 2002. HOWEVER, the downside is our wing players. We'll be having a fair bit of inexperienced guys there such as shooting guard/ point guard Aaron Bruce of Baylor University, former NCAAA Div II Player of the Year ('05) Mark Worthington & NBA Draft prospect Brad Newley to back up the two usual starters: CoopSette Rimini (Italy-Lega 2) import Sam McKinnon and former Cibona Zagreb import Jason Smith. Hopefully, guys like Brad Newley can really step up to the plate to support the big guys in the post.
        Cheers.
        "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
        -El Padrino

Comment

Great articles...thanks.

Bogut is definitely the real deal.

Comment

Bucks extended Bogut's contract using their right to a third year option...

"We drafted Andrew last season with the expectation that he would be a part of this franchise for a very long time and this is just another step in that process," general manager Larry Harris said in a statement.
            http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
            http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
            http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information