Nash over Kobe for MVP? What a joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nash over Kobe for MVP? What a joke

"Nash over Kobe for MVP? What a joke" says FoxSports/DimeMag.

Is it a joke? I think any of these players could have won - Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant... but for me, out of those four, Kobe would be in fourth place. I don't think it's a joke, it's a tight race and Nash propelled (or maintained) the Suns without Amare Stoudemire and Joe Johnson, that's pretty amazing.

That's not to take anything away from Kobe, but having a subpar record doesn't do it for me. Honestly, I think Dirk or LeBron should have took the award home. But then, that's why I am not including in the voting because Nash and Kobe seem to be 1-2 for MVP.

Stuart

Nash over Kobe for MVP? What a joke
    DIME Magazine / Dime Magazine, Posted: 16 hours ago

Word leaked Wednesday morning that Steve Nash will be named this year's MVP. While it won't be officially announced for some time, it looks like it's a done deal. And we think it's absurd.

The fact that Steve Nash is going to win the award isn't the problem. The problem is that Kobe Bryant didn't. Honestly, what more could Kobe have done this season to win the MVP? It's a joke. And what makes the whole thing even more outrageous is that his losing out is clearly personal. To be blunt, he didn't win it because the people with the votes just don't like him. And that's a shame.

Heading into this season, if someone asked you to make a list of what Kobe would have to do in the 2005-06 NBA season to win the MVP, what would you have said? Something like that Kobe would have to show that he's the best player in the NBA and he would have to take that god-awful Lakers team to the playoffs — not an easy thing to do in the Western Conference.

So what did Kobe do? Here are three numbers: 81, 62 and 35.4. The 81-point explosion against the Raptors in January completely eclipsed the fact that he gave the Mavericks 62 in just three quarters a few weeks prior. His 35.4 points per game, easily enough to secure him the league's scoring title, was the eighth-highest single-season scoring average in league history and the most since MJ put up 37.1 points per game back in '87. No. 8 put together two separate streaks this season where he scored 40 or more points in four straight games.

Let's be blunt: Kobe Bryant is clearly the best basketball player in the world.

We've said it so many times: Steve Nash's supporting cast includes Shawn Marion (a guy who should have received some MVP attention) and Boris Diaw (potentially the NBA's Most Improved Player).

But if you substituted any other elite NBA shooting guard for Kobe Bryant and kept that same Lakers supporting cast, L.A.'s season would have been very, very different. Is there any doubt that Los Angeles would have finished with a record that was just as abysmal as that of the Knicks, Raptors or Trail Blazers?

Kobe didn't barely get the Lakers to the playoffs, just scraping out the eighth seed. They finished seventh, were firmly entrenched in the playoff picture for much of the year, and their 45-game win total in the West was more than all but four teams in the Eastern Conference. With complimentary pieces like Chris Mihm, Devean George, Brian Cook and Sasha Vujacic surrounding Kobe, 45 wins in the Western Conference is nothing short of a miracle.

So why no love for Kobe? Like we said earlier, it's strictly personal. There's no other explanation. The writers with the votes just don't like him. They're blurring their feelings about Kobe as a person with how they view him as a basketball player.

We've been hearing all year that Kobe shouldn't win the MVP because he "doesn't make the players around him better." We don't necessarily agree, but if that's what we're basing this on, then by all means, give Steve Nash the "Makes Those Around Him Better Award" and be done with it.

Kobe perfectly fits the two criteria that voters traditionally use when deciding on an MVP: he's the best player in the league and he's invaluable to his team.

Kobe Bryant is the NBA's Most Valuable Player.

It's not even close.
    Last edited by stuart; 04-27-2006, 07:37 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

Originally posted by stuart

Is it a joke? I think any of these players could have won - Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant... but for me, out of those four, Kobe would be in fourth place. I don't think it's a joke, it's a tight race and Nash propelled (or maintained) the Suns without Amare Stoudemire and Joe Johnson, that's pretty amazing.

I agree.
    However, if Nash gets MVP then where's the credit due for Matrix. The man's been consistently putting up MVP-type numbers. Fair enough Phoenix wouldn't be where it is without Nash & coach D'Antoni. My point is Nash's sidekick (Matrix) is just so good compared to the sidekicks of the other top four MVP candidates: Dirk, LBJ & Kobe (but LA is only slightly improved compared to last season).

Hence, now let's compare the sidekicks of the German Superman & The Chosen One. Dirk's got Jason Terry while LBJ's has Big Z. The two this season are on similar levels. However, for me LBJ gets it (though of course there's the non legit argument that "he's too young") because Dirk has the backing of Coach of the Year Avery Johnson. One thing I could imagine is LBJ MVP for 4 years in a row. Wouldn't that be boring.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Saskibaloia; 04-28-2006, 01:56 AM.
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia
      However, if Nash gets MVP then where's the credit due for Matrix.
      Agreed. And we'll also give credit to Marion for some of the success that Boris Diaw had this year. Both Nash and Diaw benefit largely from Marion's ability to cut/slash to the basket at the right time. I'd love to see the percentage of assists that Nash and Diaw accumulate to Shawn Marion. Ironically, I think this is the exact reason why Marion won't much consideration for MVP because his main skill is being a great GREAT second banana. That isn't an insult, I admire players like Marion a lot, their offensive efficiency is what make good teams great. Players like Marion are much more rare than actual superstars.

Stuart
      http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
      http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
      http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by stuart
        Agreed. And we'll also give credit to Marion for some of the success that Boris Diaw had this year. Both Nash and Diaw benefit largely from Marion's ability to cut/slash to the basket at the right time. I'd love to see the percentage of assists that Nash and Diaw accumulate to Shawn Marion.
        Stuart
        The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

No way Kobe should be MVP. He's below LeBron and Nash, IMO.
          "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Here's a nice, short, solid argument by Marc Stein why the Maple Leaf is this year's MVP:

"Shawn Marion's own brilliant play diminishes Nash's candidacy to some, but we again invite you to answer this question: If it were Nash out for the season instead of Stoudemire, would Phoenix be the No. 2 seed in the West?

The Suns actually started 4-5, but coach Mike D'Antoni -- who had guaranteed a 50-win season after losing Stoudemire -- repeated his guarantee by reminding folks that he still had Nash and that his point guard would "figure it out."

"That's what he does," D'Antoni said. And that's why, close as it was, Nash's season rates as the best of the five on this scorecard.

Can't complaint with that.
            -El Padrino

Comment

Actully the MVP should have been Labron in my book.
              He made history by bringing the cavs back to the playoffs after a long time.
              Hes only 21 and KB was never this good at this age.
              Labron is a far better passer with better court vision than KB.
              Hes not a selfish player as KB(more than 6APG).
              A better rebounder than KB.
              Nash got a better team than the Cavs(the suns),and he didnt do all the hard work Labron did to bring them to the playoff picture.
              But over Kobe and Nash id say Nash all the way...
              Unlike Kobe, Nash makes everyone around him and the all team far better.
              The suns play like a unit while Lakers play ugly with a 1man doing all show.\
              and thats a bring diffrance(NOTE: NOT TO SAY KOBE IS A GR8 PLAYER,BUT HE IS HELL SELLFISH).

Comment

Originally posted by FanBoy
                (NOTE: NOT TO SAY KOBE IS A GR8 PLAYER,BUT HE IS HELL SELLFISH).
                I'm with you there mate!
                -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair
                  No way Kobe should be MVP. He's below LeBron and Nash, IMO.
                  your opinion is pretty much biased
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information