Argentinean Talents (Recovered)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentinean Talents (Recovered)

(Originally posted by Matiz 09-06-2004, 12:44 PM)

I think Argentina deserves a special thread about talented players, I'd certanly like to know more about them if anyone knows them. I found these profiles at NBADraft.net

Leonardo Mainoldi 6'8, SF-PF, 1985, Pamesa Valencia (Spain)

Alexander Alloatti 6'10 - PF, 1984 , Forum Valladolid (Spain)

Carlos Sandes 6'7- SG, 1984, Boca Juniors (Spain???)

Jokinen, is there any other talented argentinian player we should know about?

They are all from the U-21 team that won the South American Championship U-21 this year, won bronze in the Tournamnet of las Americas at Halifax and also a third place in the Dallas global Games only loosing in Semifinals with the Champions Ukraine.

From that team I should add:

Juan Pablo Figueroa PG- 6'1" from Atenas (Argentina), is a very talented PG, who started for this U-21 team with only 17 or 18 years old,
    I have no doubts that he is the PG of the future for the Argentinean NT( at least until Diego Gerbaudo grows), this kid will probably start for Atenas this year, and have in mind that Atenas is the most important team of Argentina, so thats is a very big responsibility.

The GM of Atenas consulted Magnano (Argentina NT Head Coach), about who PG sign for this season, and Magnano quickly answered none, Trust all in Figueroa, in fact he said " con los ojos cerrados" which means with the eyes close, he has no doubts about his talent, so why should I

Jose Muruaga a 6'3" SG also part of this NT is a very good shooter, actually he was named MVP of the South American Championship.
    He plays in the TNA (the second division in Argentina) he has been playing pro-basketball for some years now despite his youth.

I should name Axel Weingand too SF 6'8" , he signed with Etosa Alicante (ACB) yesterday, he was property of the Real Madrid since very young but a knee injury really slowed his progress, he was playing for Boca JRs in Argentina lately, but not many minutes, but anyway is a huge prospect.

About Leo Mainoldi, I think he is the best prospect right now, he might be a little undersized( altough I think he is 6'9", not 6'8") but very talented and great rebounder, and also scorer he scored 39 points in a game at the Global Games( if I'm not wrong).
    I remember him definitely as a PF, but I hope he is working hard to develop as a SF if that's so that will be awesome, NBA future no doubts.

Alloatti, actually is Alejandro, not Alexander, was supossed to be the biggest prospect (but right now I'll take Mainoldi), in fact he has two records in Argentinean Basketball History:

1- The youngest player to play pro basketball (with only 13 years old )
    2- The youngest player to play with the senior NT with only 15 or 16 I don't remember well.

In 2002 he signed with Pamesa a 5 years old deal, it should end in 2007 and he should be U-22, that should make him a very good candidate for the NBA draft ( no buyouts, to hurt his stock, you know, like Scola for example).

Carlos Sandes is a very iteresting player, a lot of people says that he is a candidate for the 2005 NBA draft, I think he should wait until 2006, IMO this season will be his break out season in the Argentinean league playing for the Champion team Boca jrs, he already was a key player for Boca last season despite his youth, so I'm anxious to see him play.

Well i'll continue tomorrow, there is some other very intererting and young players like Diego Brezzo, Fabricio Vay, Carlos Schattman, Diego Gerbaudo, Fernando Funes, pablo Moya, etc.

Comment

(Originally posted by Matiz 09-07-2004, 12:45 AM)

Hey,great info Jokinen , keep on with that...

Comment

Here is another name to remember:

Carlos Schattman 1987 6´3" SG/SF from Atenas (Argentina)

I took this outlook from Latinbasket.com:

Outlook:
        Great shooter and passer. Called “Leo” or “lituano” because of his appearance and his style of play. Very intelligent player, never forces a shot and has a good view for his teammates.
        Is a classic shooting guard Drazen-Petrovic-style and can also play as point guard. A terrible shooter, with a bright future at the 2 spot, and maybe even at the point;
        Hehe, they call him "Lithuanian" for his style of play, well he is a cold blood killer from 3 pt,

I was very surprised about him a couple of years ago in the finals of the Argentinean league between Atenas and Boca, Atenas was scoreless in the fourth quarter, then the coach put him on the court with 14 or 15 years playing in the finals!!!, and as soon as he got the ball "BOMB" a three pointer, then assist and a layup.
        Atenas won that game and next the Championship and I thought, Oh, I should remember that player, he wasn't even nervous.

Earlier this year he played for the Argentinean U-18 at the Albert Schweitzer Tournament in Germany (Unofficial World Championships for Juniors),
        Argentina got undefeated to the Final and lost against Turkey, ending in second place, Carlos Schattmann was the star of the Argentinean team averaging 18ppg, 3.6rpg, 2.1apg.

Comment

(Originally posted by Ballstorm 09-07-2004, 11:10 AM)

Very good posts , jokinen , thanks!

Comment

Thank you.

This is the outlook of Diego Brezzo PF/C 6'10" Atenas (Argentina) from Latinbasket.com:

Born: Feb.20, 1984
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Outlook:
            A gifted rebounder at the both sides of the court, has a bright future at 4 position if he will add a reliable outside shot;
            some observers say that he could become the new Oberto; has yet great self confidence, loves to play the high post, has great passing skills, and can shot from mid-range or under the boards; applied for Italian citizìenship in summer of 2002;

I tried to find his profile in nbadraft.net, but I couldn't:

If you look for Argentineans in any mock draft of 2006 you won't find Mainoldi or Alloatti, you will only find this name: Diego Brezzo.

He has been in the radar of NBA teams since his 15, but things changed a lot in the last years,
            Brezzo practicly haven't played in the last two years he injured his knee very badly and already underwent surgery 3 times in the same knee.
            He is still young (20), so if he can stay healty, he should became the new Oberto.
            Brezzo already played some minutes in the preseason games for Atenas, so I'm really looking forward to see him this season.

After his second surgery, he recovered and even thought he wasn't playing yet, the Real Madrid was about to sign him, but suddenly, he injured again. Now he is recovered one more time, let's hope this time he will show us how good can he be and how far can he go.

Comment

Diego Gerbaudo 5'9" PG 1989 Gimanasia LP (Argentina)

Diego just turn 15 years old a few days ago and already has agreed a 4 years deal with Real Madrid with a option to 4 more years. Real Madrid GM Lolo Sainz said about him "Es el Zidane del Basketball" which means "is the Zidane of Basketball".

Honestly I haven't seen him play, a friend of mine who did see him play, wasn't that impressed by Gerbaudo but he has to be something special.

Gerbaudo already played for the Argentinean NT U-18 in the Albert Schweitzer Tournament in Germany giving 4 years of advantage.

Those who watched him playing say that he has a no natural (for a player his age) talent to run the PG, with great offensive skills he scored 56 pts in the final of the Provincial Championship of his category, and 37 in the final of the year before. Until last year he was playing for the team of Jaimes Craik (Cordoba) where he was born, and was playing in all the categories of the club playing four games per day which made him very happy according to his own words since playing basketball is the thing he enjoy the most.
              This year Diego will play for Gimnasia from La Plata in the Argentinean Liga A (top league). Gimnasia LP got the second place in the last season.
              Lolo Sainz said that they want him to play a couple of season here before they take him to Spain, anyway Gerbaudo has to report every offseason to Spain and play a tounament so the Real Madrid can check his progress.
              He was in the last NBA basketball without borders at Brazil.

He is not only offensive talent he is also a great passer in fact when he was asked about what he likes more about his game, he answered to pass the ball, with no looks or between the legs of the rival(he was famous for doing that play in a senior game with less than 14 years old, I mean to senior players, they probably wanted to slap him after that ) and that he enjoy a good assist a lot more than a basket, then the reporter asked him about where did he learn to do that kind of plays and he said imitating Marcelo Milanesio (all time Argentinean Basketball Icon and best PG of the Argentinan Basketball history) and Magic Johnson his two Idols.

He might be a little underzised now but he should keep growing, he is only 15, so the height should not be a concern in the future.

Comment

(Originally posted by K2- Young 09-09-2004, 06:05 PM)

impresive. good info joki.
                I remember Sandez very well. He does not look like a SG to me, he is more of an SF. He is the only name I remember cuz when I saw him, I was saying to myself " remember that name, remember that name " "Sandez, Sandez ".

Comment

Yeah, I think the same as you, he is defitely a SF, he has the perfect body for SF, he has muscle and 6'7" or maybe 6'8" tall.

Comment

Fabricio Vay 1986 6'9" PF Pamesa Valencia

Fabricio is another big prospect he is property of Pamesa Valencia, but I think he will play for Pamesa Castellon this season.

This is his Outlook from Latinbasket.com:
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    A very promising player who needs to add some aggressiveness and some defensive bulk to become a star; very mature and versatile for his age, is yet able to play face-to-the basket offensively, has a good 1-on-1 and shoots well; Argentinean NT coach Ruben Magnano stated to local media he is the most promising player in the country of his age, and thet he his a very smart person, very coachable, with great attitude.
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magnano is a genius of Basketball, he has proved it several times, so if he thinks that Vay is the most promising player his age that must be truth.
                    I don't really know how he is doing in Spain.
                    Vay played with Argentina U-18 in the Albert Schweitzer Tournament in Germany (Unofficial World Championships for Juniors) -04 (Finalist): averaging 12.4ppg, 5.1rpg, 1.9apg off the bench mostly.

Comment

(Originally posted by Ariel 09-15-2004, 05:07 AM)

On Juan Pablo Figueroa:

time will tell... i do have doubts...
                      On Axel Weingand:

huge prospect... hmmm... huge prospects (by argentinian standards) usually have achieved much more at his age...
                      On Leo Mainoldi:

NBA talent no doubts... there is always doubt when you're talking NBA... i mean, what would you have said then about Scola 6 years ago? MVP candidate for sure? i just hope he eventually gets there and gets to play...
                      On Alejandro Alloatti:

yeah, breaking records is great, but it will take you so far...
                      On Carlos Matias Sandes:

actually i don't like him nearly as much as you do... he doesn't seem to care much... he might have the size, talent, shooting, etc... but i'm concerned about his agressiveness... (a veces me da la impresión que juega con una pachorra... )

overall, i sure hope it is you who are right, but i don't see in this generation equal talent to the one that is playing right now... i wish we had another Oberto in the waiting, this would make so happy... i just don't see it...

Comment

Is very hard to talk about young prospects, but you have to remember that they are just prospects, offcourse I'm being optimistic about them.

The generation of Nocioni, Scola, Delfino, had the same results or even worst than this new generation both had a third place in the Tournament of the Americas, so they are doing well for now.
                        The Scola, Mikulas, Delfino team had a bronze medal in the Junior World Championship at Saitama, Japan in 2001, will see how this new players do in Argentina 2005.

A good thing is that this new players have more playing time thanks to the fact that the older players are playing in other countries, offcourse the level of the league is worst than in the past because the best players no longer play here, but at least they have the chance to develop faster.

All of them have the talent and abilities now is up to them to make it.

About Mainoldi I'm pretty much sure that if he adjust to the SF position, will have NBA Future,
                        as for Alloatti I'm sure that if he aplies for the 2007 draft and he has no buyout, he has big chances,
                        about the youngest (Schattman, Gerbaudo, is hard to tell yet).

as for the others (Sandes, Brezzo, (Weingand, Vay, both already in Europe) to play some years in Europe will help them a lot and will let us see how big future they have ( Players like Oberto, Nocioni, Herrmann all went undrafted, but after a couple of yeasr they proved how good they are).

And about Figueroa I don't know yet I want to see him how much he progress now that he has more minutes and responsabilities.

Comment

More on Gerbaudo

John Bembry and Chris Anderson, two journalist of ESPN the magazine traveled all the way to Argentina just to interview, the Argentinen prospect Diego Gerbaudo.

Bembry says that Gerbaudo is one of the top prospect of world Basketball in the near future. They are writing an article about the top international prospects to be posted in the Agust-September edition in which two or three other prospects will join the 15 years old Argentinean, a Nigerian and a kid from Croatia between them.

The two journalist said that they already knew Gerbaudo(who has a contract with Real Madrid (Spain) until 2011) from last year NBA Basketball without Borders at Brazil in which Gerbaudo was selected in the All Tounament Team.

Comment

Matías Nocedal, 6-3, PG Argentina, 1990

Matias, won the all star game dunk contest in the NBA BWB latin America this year and in the Adidas Super star camp at brazil also this year.

Quote:
                            Watching this kid on the court you have to stop a minute and ask yourself: "Why is this player not playing yet in a pro league in his hometown country of Argentina?". Yes, he is ready! He shocked everybody with his maturity and dominance, each day beating his opponents one by one showing a tremendous repertoire, he can score and get into the paint, finish or find the open man for an easy two or an open 3 pt shot. With a great attitude, he's a floor leader with great understanding of the game always making the right decision, and very aggressive when needed. He has good size and body for a only 15 year old kid and another impressive thing: he is an excellent leaper as he proved with the play of the camp with a tremendous dunk in the All Star game with all the defenders in the paint. He also took the slam dunk contest, and this with kids two years older and much bigger in camp! A good defender but has to learn how to use his body better to defend. Needs to work a lot on his outside shot, he showed some inconsistency during the event. You can be sure that the NBA is in his future.

You can read the full reports of the Adidas Super Star Camp: Latin America here:

Comment

Gerbaudo named South American MVP!!!

Diego Gerbaudo was named MVP of the South American Championship for cadets 2005, just like in the 2004, so the 16 years older is two times MVP at South American level at Cadets.

His numbers:

Diego Gerbaudo: 13.5 ppg, 4.83 apg, 2.5 spg and 1.66 rpg in 21.16 mpg.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information