• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussies & Kiwis abroad

Global Gander
    Friday, April 21, 2006 - 10:37 AM

NBL - Erin Bogenshutz, Basketball New Zealand

Numerous past and present NBL players have been scoring big in the international arena, so here’s a wrap-up of what some familiar faces have been doing in Europe and elsewhere:

Chris Anstey, reigning MVP from the Melbourne Tigers, has been playing in Spain with Caja San Fernando Sevilla. His mid-season addition has helped his team move up from the bottom of the standings, where they stood when he signed on, and Sevilla now appear likely to avoid relegation. Since Anstey’s addition, his team have scored upset wins over Real Madrid (after being down 16 at half time) and Joventut (at home by 15 points). In the victory over Joventut, Anstey played 31 minutes and had 15 points and 11 rebounds in his best game so far.

Former Sydney King, Matt Nielsen, has helped his team, Lietuvos Rytas, to the SEB BBL title. Playing against Zalgiris, he equal top-scored for his side with 16 points and added seven rebounds.

Former NZ Breakers star Phill Jones scored 19 points in 25 minutes to help his Italian team, Vertical Vision Cantu, to a rare 100-93 win over Basket Livorno in the Lega A. Jones added an assist and a rebound, while shooting 5-of-10 from the field (including 3-of-7 from three-point territory) and went a perfect 6-of-6 at the line. Cantu are now 10-18 in 13th spot on the league table with six games remaining in the regular season.

Current Breaker Paul Henare is playing with former teammate Pero Cameron in Turkey for Banvitspor. The feisty guard racked up seven points, three assists, two steals, and two rebounds in 17 minutes of play as Banvitspor won their third consecutive game, 78-65 on the road over Tuborg Pilsener. In the same match, Cameron scored 11 points, adding four assists, three rebounds and two steals in 21 minutes. Banvit are now 18-9 for the season, still in fifth place with three games remaining in the regular season.

In Russia Mark Dickel, previously of the Victoria Titans, helped send Lokomotiv Rostov into the Superleague playoffs on a winning note with a 69-68 result over Spartak St Petersburg. Dickel played the entire game for nine points, four rebounds, two assists and a steal. Rostov finished their schedule with a 9-15 record to snatch the eighth and final playoff spot. For their troubles, they draw regular season winners CSKA Moscow (22-2), who have also qualified for the Euroleague semifinals.

Brisbane Bullets swingman Sam Mackinnon has reportedly signed with Italian team, the Rimini Crabs.
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

Welcome back man... I heard Chris Anstey will try out for the Cleveland Cavaliers after the Spain season, and CJ Bruton is trying out in Portland?
    aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball
      Welcome back man... I heard Chris Anstey will try out for the Cleveland Cavaliers after the Spain season, and CJ Bruton is trying out in Portland?
      Cheers champ.

With CJ, I think Portland's also on the agenda however, for certain he's leaving Down Under on the 20th of May to visit Cleveland (first stop).
      To be honest realistically I see him playing in Europe. I don't think he's up to being able to make the injury list for a team. However, I'm sure he'll make a case for himself in the World Championships though I do see our Armenian-American Coach Brian Goorjian focusing the offense around Bogut & the Big Boys (Chicago's Luke Schenscher, CSKA Moscow's David Anderson or Lietuvos Rytas Matt Nielsen) compared to before in the Athens where the offense revolved around the point guard (due to former Timberwolves & Spur Shane Heal).
      Concerning about Caja San Fernando's Chris Anstey I think likewise, that he won't make an NBA team. Well of course you never now. Right now he's 3 times the player he was back in the late 90s playing for Dallas or Chicago. He's got the inside and outside game. This I believe were generated through he's seasons in Russia as an import. Nowadays the man can step out and knock down the three with ease, which I believe can give him the edge against other NBA big men prospects that he'll be competing.
      "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
      -El Padrino

Comment

Working...
      X

Debug Information