X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varejao, Brazil eyes Medal in Japan

Originally from FIBA: Link to article

Anderson Varejao eyes medal in Japan

/noticias.info/ RIO DE JANEIRO (FIBA World Championship) - Anderson Varejao claims Brazil will be aiming for more than just qualification for the Olympics at the FIBA World Championship as they seek to win a medal.

The Cleveland forward has the NBA play-offs to contend with first as the Cavaliers prepare for their first post-season play since 1998, but Varejao is also looking ahead to this summer's competition in Japan.

"We'll go to Japan with two goals," he said. "Firstly, to book a place at the Olympic Games. And second, we'll fight for a place on the podium."

Speaking to the Brazilian Basketball Confederation's official website www.cbb.com.br, Varejao added: "We all know it is difficult to achieve that, but it is our mission.

"We want to represent Brazil and fight with all our might to secure a good result at the end of the tournament."

Varejao has fought his way back to form after suffering a shoulder injury at the Tournament of the Americas, a problem which sidelined him for almost five months and he admits was of great concern.

"The injury was serious and I found it very difficult to control my anxiety. The doctors were very patient with me and it was very important to me."

Brazil have been drawn in Group C along with Lithuania, Greece, Turkey, Qatar and Australia, and Varejao believes his country are capable of topping the group.

"It's a difficult group to get out of, but we'll fight for the top spot, respecting our rivals but not fearing them," he said.

"We'll play against high-quality nations who will force us to play our best basketball. Everybody knows it will not be easy because nothing is in the World Championship.

"But we have a strong team who like to be together and to play together, who are more and more experienced with every day and whose players are showing their qualities for their teams in Brazil, Europe or America."
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

I was thinking to myself the other day, it is amazing, how many good players and prospects the Brazilian have, especially in the post:

Nene, Varejao, Araujo, Splitter, Lucas Tischer, Paulo Prestes, Vitor Tatsh, Vitor Faverani, Caio Torres, Rafael Hettsheimer, Bruno Ferreira, Thyago Alao, etc. Amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Jokinen
      I was thinking to myself the other day, it is amazing, how many good players and prospects the Brazilian have, especially in the post:

Nene, Varejao, Araujo, Splitter, Lucas Tischer, Paulo Prestes, Vitor Tatsh, Vitor Faverani, Caio Torres, Rafael Hettsheimer, Bruno Ferreira, Thyago Alao, etc. Amazing

Post players are not a problem for the brazilian team(as you said), what we need are small fowards. Guilherme Giovanonni is a good player, but we need someone better to start at this position. Marcus Vieira(6'9'') is a very, very talented player, but he is too young and need to improve his defense(he improved a lot actually). Edu Marianno is only 6'6'' and he is a SG.
      If I was the brazilian coach I would start Leandro Barbosa(6'3'') at SG and Marcelo Machado(6'7'') at SF. So Marcelo Huertas, Valtinho or even Alex Garcia could be our starting point guard.
      In my opinion brazil could only win a medal if Nene is healthy and play(very unlikely).
      Last edited by asdzas; 04-26-2006, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X

Debug Information