Lithuanian National Team for WC2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithuanian National Team for WC2006

I understand that the following players are candidates to be part of the final team.

Guards
    Šarūnas Jasikevičius („Indiana Pacers“, JAV)
    Arvydas Macijauskas („NO/OC Hornets“)
    Rimantas Kaukėnas (Sienos „Montepaschi“, Italija)
    Giedrius Gustas (Rigos „Barons“, Latvija)
    Mindaugas Lukauskis, Tomas Delininkaitis (Vilniaus „Lietuvos rytas“)
    Forwards
    Simas Jasaitis (Vilniaus „Lietuvos rytas“)
    Linas Kleiza („Denver Nuggets“, JAV)
    Ramūnas Šiškauskas (Trevizo „Benneton“, Italija)
    Mindaugas Žukauskas (Sienos „Montepaschi“, Italija)
    Darius Songaila („Chicago Bulls“, JAV)
    Centre
    Darjušas Lavrinovičius (Kauno „Žalgiris”)
    Paulius Jankūnas (Kauno „Žalgiris”)
    Kšyštofas Lavrinovičius (Kazanės “Unix”, Rusija)
    Robertas Javtokas (Vilniaus „Lietuvos rytas“)

Has anyone heard of confirmations from any of these players?

Lets have all info first, because you provided only half of it.

Since June 8th the 1st camp of Lithuanian NT will start. After 10 days team will go to friendly tournament in Italy (Lithuania, Italy, Czech Republic, Venesuela).

Players invited to 1st camp are:

Guards: Vidas Ginevičius, Simonas Serapinas, Mantas Kalnietis (Kauno "Žalgiris"), Renaldas Seibutis (Pirėjo "Olympiacos"), Darius Pakamanis ("Šiauliai"), Vytenis Jasikevičius ("Žalgiris – A.Sabonio mokykla"), Martynas Pocius (Duke, USA);

Forwards: Artūras Jomantas ("Šiauliai"), Stepas Babrauskas (Leuveno "Basket Groot", Belgija), Aurimas Kieža (Hofstra, USA), Vladimiras Severovas (Oakland, USA), Jonas Mačiulis (Kauno "Žalgiris"), Valdas Vasylius ("Old Dominion", USA);

Centers: Darius Šilinskis (Kauno "Žalgiris"), Povilas Čiukinas (Vilniaus "Lietuvos rytas"), Marijonas Petravičius ("Ventspils", Latvija), Antanas Kavaliauskas ("Barton County Community College", USA).

Since 28th of June the main camp will start. Best players from 1st camps will join the main camp and others will be formed to "Lithuanian Club NT" and will play in friendly tournaments.

The players invited directly to the main camp are mentioned by Lietuvis above also.

Guards:
    Šarūnas Jasikevičius („Indiana Pacers“, JAV)
    Arvydas Macijauskas („NO/OC Hornets“)
    Rimantas Kaukėnas (Sienos „Montepaschi“, Italija)
    Giedrius Gustas (Rigos „Barons“, Latvija)
    Mindaugas Lukauskis, Tomas Delininkaitis (Vilniaus „Lietuvos rytas“)

Forwards:
    Simas Jasaitis (Vilniaus „Lietuvos rytas“)
    Linas Kleiza („Denver Nuggets“, JAV)
    Ramūnas Šiškauskas (Trevizo „Benneton“, Italija)
    Mindaugas Žukauskas (Sienos „Montepaschi“, Italija)
    Darius Songaila („Chicago Bulls“, JAV)

Centers:
    Darjušas Lavrinovičius (Kauno „Žalgiris”)
    Paulius Jankūnas (Kauno „Žalgiris”)
    Kšyštofas Lavrinovičius (Kazanės “Unix”, Rusija)
    Robertas Javtokas (Vilniaus „Lietuvos rytas“)

Comment

Now after info is provided, some comments.

As expected no Timinskas, Štombergas or Eurelijus Žukauskas in the list as they all clearely said they finished their NT careers. Three surprising for some non-calls are Žydrūnas Ilgauskas, Dainius Šalenga and Donatas Slanina. Knowing all the past situation maybe its not that "surprising", but they arent there anyway.

Some crazy stuff is that Lukauskis and Delininkaitis, who didnt play much this season and didnt prove anything are invited directly to main camp. While Ginevicius, Seibutis and even Maciulis who had very exhausting seasons will get no rest and will have to join 1st camp immediately after season ends. Thats nonsense in my eyes. On the other hand knowing past camps it was allowed for some players to rest longer in the past, so maybe these players will have at least a little bit more extended rest.

Comment

Three surprising for some non-calls are Žydrūnas Ilgauskas, Dainius Šalenga and Donatas Slanina. Knowing all the past situation maybe its not that "surprising", but they arent there anyway.
        What was that past situation with Šalenga?
        It's kind of strange that he wasn't invited especially considering Timinskas and Štombergas won't be in Japan as well and now there are 3 good SF's left out?
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Matiz
          What was that past situation with Šalenga?
          It's kind of strange that he wasn't invited especially considering Timinskas and Štombergas won't be in Japan as well and now there are 3 good SF's left out?
          I'll explain all three. Ilgauskas. Well you know the story. He never came, so this time they even didnt call him.

Salenga. Last year week before EC after Macas got injured and it was sure he wont play Salenga faked an injury (probably thinking that team without Macas has no chance). I cant say he truly faked it, but it was contraversial. Salenga really got some bump to his knee in friendly game vs Ireland and was allowed not to practice for few days. But he said that he made some research himself in medical center (without NT doctor's knowing) and that hes out for 10 days. Team doctor said he didnt see anything that serious and also he didnt see the results of that mysterious research. Anyway Salenga was out of NT, Silinskis was picked at last minute. What was super-strange that Salenga immediately left to Girona and played in their friendly game few days later.

Slanina. It seems that last summer he never dared to answer any phone call or letter of federation or NT coach. He simply disappeared and didnt say anything about his plans for summer. He made it obvious hes angry for being only 12th man in Olympics. I would like him to be called and all to be forgotten, because hes a good shooter, but team staff thought the other way and maybe they are right after all.

BTW Kaukenas had some media fights with Sireika in summer of 2004 too after he was left out from Olympic squad. Last year he motivated it with this wedding and didnt arrive to NT camp. It was a question will he be called by Sireika this year, but it seems that his MVP play in Lega A made no other choice for NT staff, but will he come?
          Last edited by Zalgirinis; 04-25-2006, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Lists aboce are preliminary and already obsolete. PG Gediminas Maceina (Kedainiu Nevezis) is invited to first camp, Serapinas now is in main camp, while Gustas and Delininkaitis now are part of first camp. And since when Jankunas is center?
            So:
            Main Camp:
            Guards
            Šarūnas Jasikevičius („Indiana Pacers“, NBA)
            Arvydas Macijauskas („NO/OC Hornets“, NBA)
            Ramūnas Šiškauskas („Benneton“, Italy)
            Rimantas Kaukėnas („Montepaschi“, Italy)
            Simonas Serapinas ("Žalgiris")
            Mindaugas Lukauskis („Lietuvos rytas“)
            Forwards
            Simas Jasaitis („Lietuvos rytas“)
            Linas Kleiza („Denver Nuggets“, NBA)
            Mindaugas Žukauskas („Montepaschi“, Italy)
            Darius Songaila („Chicago Bulls“, NBA)
            Paulius Jankūnas („Žalgiris”)
            Centre
            Darjušas Lavrinovičius („Žalgiris”)
            Kšyštofas Lavrinovičius (“Unix”, Russia)
            Robertas Javtokas („Lietuvos rytas“)

Preliminary Camp
            Guards: Vidas Ginevičius, Mantas Kalnietis ("Žalgiris"), Tomas Delininkaitis ("Lietuvos rytas"), Renaldas Seibutis ("Olympiacos", Greece), Giedrius Gustas („Barons“, Latvia), Darius Pakamanis ("Šiauliai"), Vytenis Jasikevičius ("Žalgiris – A.Sabonio mokykla"), Martynas Pocius (Duke, NCAA), Stepas Babrauskas ("Basket Groot", Belgium), Gediminas Maceina ("Nevežis");
            Forwards: Artūras Jomantas ("Šiauliai"), Aurimas Kieža (Hofstra, NCAA), Vladimiras Severovas (Oakland, NCAA), Jonas Mačiulis ("Žalgiris"), Valdas Vasylius (Old Dominion, NCAA);
            Centre: Darius Šilinskis ("Žalgiris"), Povilas Čiukinas ("Lietuvos rytas"), Marijonas Petravičius ("Ventspils", Latvia), Antanas Kavaliauskas (Texas A&M, NCAA).
            Last edited by LuDux; 04-26-2006, 01:13 PM.
            The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

Macijauskas said in his interview that Jasikevicius won't play which is a bit disappointing. Saras wasn't playing much this season and he also missed Eurobasket 2005. Can he really be so "tired" that he can't play for his country?

Comment

The head coach of Lithuanian National Team Antanas Sireika has claimed, that the list of the players, who are invited to the preparation camps is not final and now he is waiting for the answers from the players. The coach has agreed to answer to the "Sportas" weekly.

- Did you have enough rest already?
                - Off course. I didn't do much. Now the preparation of the NT candidates' list has started, the analysis and evaluation. Moreover, as it should be, I am a father to my children, I spend more time with my family, with the kids.
                I watch basketball on television without any tension. When I was coaching Žalgiris, I was to Šiauliai quite rarely, and now I am used the opportunity to watch the game live.

- What were the criterias to include players in the list?
                - There are no established methodics, we just want to gather the best lithuanian players together. Moreover, during all the time I am in charge of national team, we are paying the attention to the young players, so we will create the second team, which will be based on young players. Because of that we sent the invitations to all young, unseen and not-so-well-known players, whom we have only heard or read about. Most fans most probably won't know the players from US colleges, but we want to see them.

- How many players from the first stage will get to the main training camp?
                - I think, that no more than two or three.

- You have mentioned, that You are inviting a lot of young players. Propably you just want to see them, but not to invite to the team. Isn't it?
                - It's a transitive period in the team now. And it will remain always. The old-timers of the team are finishing their careers, and the new young players arise. We are not selecting the players just for the world championships, we are looking to the future.
                We learned the statistical data of the players, we have heard the oppinions of the people, who know them. We would like to see and meet them ourselves, by our own eyes. Maybe they won't fit to the national team, but next year maybe we will need their help. You have to enter the team slowly. Off course, there might be some stars among the young players, who will shine in the first camp, but this happens very rarely.

- Let's talk about some players. Are you inviting Paulius Jankūnas to the main camp, because you want to give him some rest?
                - We think, that this player should be judged as one of the main players of the team. I agree, that we should think about resting him. Basketball players can't play for whole year, moreover, his last vacation was years ago.

- Rimantas Kaukėnas' name has appeared among the candidates...
                - Last year he also was invited, but has declined basing on his planned wedding. Are we hoping him to play? We want to see all the invited players in the training camp.

- But Dainius Šalenga and Donatas Slanina are not invited..
                - The list is not final, we yet might invite any player. We have sent the invitations, where the precise date is described, till when they should report about their summer plans. When we get the answers, we will know, which players will be able to play, and who won't. Only then we will know, which positions are strong, and what should be improved. Then we'll decide, should we invite someone else.
                We have restrained on Dainius' for now. Donatas Slanina was invited and did not show up last year. He did not give any answer neither to me nor other staff of the national team, so we think, that he doesn't want join the team anymore. This is the reason, why we didn't invite him.

- There are rumours, that Šarūnas Jasikevičius won't play for Lithuania, but you still sent the invitation
                - Tell me, what are the reasons, why he won't come? Two months ago I met him in USA and Šarūnas told me, that he doesn't want to tell anything. According to him, he will give the answer after the season is over, when he could judge his health, physical condition and so on. He did not tell, that he won't play for the national team, so he got the invitation.

- Arvydas Macijauskas and Mindaugas Žukauskas have spent little time on court this season. They will probably have a lot of sportsman's irritation. Won't they?
                - I agree with that completely. I think that they will have enough irritation, ventureness, cold head, healthy joints and so on. We know, that they are not youngsters, but experienced players, so the remaining time should enough for them to prepare.

- Did anybody say, that he won't participate?
                - Nobody told that. We have spoken with most of the players about the comming to the camp. I don't see any reasons, why they shouldn't come. Unless some problems with health, or some contract restrictions by the club. Moreover, nobody told, that doesn't want or can't play for Lithuania. I don't have any sure answers yet, we have had only preliminary talks with players. The players didn't know, whether they are called up, or not.

Comment

Šalenga probably had arguments with someone in the team - teammates, or maybe Sireika himself. Or he had small injury and didn't want to risk.

Comment

Even without Ilgauskas, we are going to have one of the best centres among all the teams, plus strong forwards like Songaila and Jankunas. What I'm worried about is the playmaker position. I really don't want to see Ginevicius or Delininkaitis as a main playmaker of the team. They even shouldn't be invited to national team. Well lets hope Saras agrees to come to NT.

Comment

Originally posted by YYY
                      What I'm worried about is the playmaker position. I really don't want to see Ginevicius or Delininkaitis as a main playmaker of the team. They even shouldn't be invited to national team. Well lets hope Saras agrees to come to NT.
                      I really would like to see what Gediminas Maceina could do with stronger teammates. Let's hope he will get to the second camp and have some practices with the best players.

Comment

Originally posted by YYY
                        Even without Ilgauskas, we are going to have one of the best centres among all the teams, plus strong forwards like Songaila and Jankunas. What I'm worried about is the playmaker position. I really don't want to see Ginevicius or Delininkaitis as a main playmaker of the team. They even shouldn't be invited to national team. Well lets hope Saras agrees to come to NT.
                        Ginevicius is somewhat predictable, imho, but Delininkaitis is not. he is deffinitely not ready for the NT and probably never will be. at first he must totally change his attitude. in that respect even Gustas is miles better. imho.
                        stop russia

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
                          Ginevicius is somewhat predictable, imho, but Delininkaitis is not. he is deffinitely not ready for the NT and probably never will be. at first he must totally change his attitude. in that respect even Gustas is miles better. imho.
                          why you say "even Gustas" ? - Hi is quite good player, just he didin't made some important free frows... but now i believe he is in a good shape!
                          2nd in IBN EuroBasket 2011 Prediction!
                          2nd in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction!
                          MVP in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction! # Correct W-L: re5pectas (59)
                          All-Tornament Team in IBN EuroBasket 2015 Prediction! Perfect score: re5pectas (7)
                          All-Tornament Team in IBN World Cup 2019 Prediction! Perfect score: re5pectas (5)
                          2nd in IBN Olympic 2020 Predicion! Perfect score: re5pectas (2) Within 8: re5pectas (8) # Correct W-L: re5pectas (23)

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
                            once again - green glases.
                            Ginevicius isn't predictible as well, and notice - Delininkaitis isn't PG, he is SG.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimonas
                              Ginevicius isn't predictible as well
                              No, Kestas is right. Ginevicius is predictable.
                              It's very easy to predict that he will suck. And that Siska will have to try his best at PG again when it matters, unless Kaukenas is on the team.
                              Last edited by MC Plough; 05-15-2006, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information