Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ukrainian biker girl in Chernobyl zone (recovered)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukrainian biker girl in Chernobyl zone (recovered)

I came across this while searching in google. good thread...(unfortunately only page 1 of 2)

Old 04-07-2004, 10:19 AM #1

Epadfield

Chernobyl

Everyone remembers what happened in '86, right? Here is a web-page of someone that rode though the area and took pictures. Pretty interesting if you read all the way though.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:56 AM #2
    Juan Carlos Nadal
    AWAY

Thank you Epadfield!

Very interesting! I was always wondering about these areas. How they look like. What they've done about them.

Thanks again!

Old 04-07-2004, 01:00 PM #3
    Crazy Fan From Idaho

Stunning and poignant. I was spellbound as I paged through her pictures and commentary.

Thanks for sharing the link, Erin.

Old 04-07-2004, 01:28 PM #4
    Matiz

...and already in 1981 KGB was reporting about malfunctions in Cernobil, but I guess nobody cared that much.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:54 AM #5

mayteromanl

Thanks Erin! Really interesting. My cousin was on holidays close to Chernobyl just 3 years after the disaster. And she told me about the strong security measures, such as drinking tap water was totally forbidden, and more.

Mayte

Old 04-09-2004, 01:58 AM #6

J-Will2

It is a tragedy of enormous proportions... It has effected us all. I have to respect the people, who decided to stay... It shows great valor.

Respect.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:10 AM #7

worldbasketball

When you ask many people, they will still support generating power through such means. It is clean and doesn't pollute goes the argument... and they say, its very safe!!!!

...yeh right, provided it is not in your own backyard.

That is we would want nuclear energy, but built somewhere very far from us...

We only panic when one is being considered in OUR neigborhood... Now tell its safe and clean and doesn't pollute to THESE people...

Old 04-09-2004, 12:36 PM #8

Crazy Fan From Idaho

I am not at all against nuclear energy. I have contentedly lived in the immediate vicinity of an operating nuclear reactor and still live in the same general region. A very close family friend is a reactor operator at that facility and has been there for well over 10 years.

My thoughts based on his knowledgeable opinion are that the safety of a reactor is based on proper management. Despite what you read, there are an incredible number of safety features in place at EVERY step from start to finish of the generation of nuclear energy, at least at that particular plant....and I assume at all American plants.

The problem at Chernobyl lay in the absence of safety precautions and the lack of attention to known hazards. This particular crisis doesn't mean that nuclear energy is always and unavoidably unsafe.

I think a more legitimate concern is the disposal of nuclear waste. I would much prefer to live near a reactor than near a nuclear waste dump! (But I might be too much influenced by the media on that issue.)

No matter how safe I believe nuclear energy to be, however, I still prefer other sources of energy generation such as solar and wind.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:19 PM #9

worldbasketball

I'm not sure about that CFFI.
    The Three Mile Island incedent adequately shows USA is not immune.

Check these for hundreds of nuclear accidents in the USA:

Of particular interest to you one in your own "Backyard" so to speak, in Idaho!!!

January 3, 1961 – At the National Reactor Testing Station in Idaho Falls, Idaho, the experimental SL-1 reactor had a critical incident with a steam explosion and a severe dispersal of radioactive material, killing three workers at the installation. With the exception of Iodine131, most of the radiation was contained within about a three-acre area. Vegetation was contaminated with I131 at levels as high as 100 times background levels as far as 20 miles from the reactor. Radio-iodine contaminated vegetation at more than double backgrond levels more than 50 miles from the reactor, including about a 50-mile stretch along the Snake River near Burley and American Falls. The portable reactor had manually-actuated control rods. Moving a single rod could cause the criticality incident. The rods were known to jam in the lightweight aluminum housing. Some investigators believe that a rod stuck and then suddenly released, causing the criticality incident. Investigators never concluded why the rod had been removed. One worker was found pinned to the ceiling by a control rod, apparently driven by the steam.

The accident was discovered by those outside the reactor building when radiation and thermal alarms alerted fire crews and health physicists, who discovered radiation levels exceeding 200mR/hr hundreds of feet from the reactor building. Emergency crews were at first unable to find either a fire or the workers, but encountered radiation levels as high as 1000mR/hr inside the reactor building. One of the three workers was removed from the building but died a few hours later. The other two bodies remained in the building for several days while hundreds of rescue workers initiated recovery operations. Of those recovery personnel, 22 received radiation exposures in the range of 3rem to 27rem, according to 1961 Atomic Energy Commission reports. The reactor was dismantled and the 13-ton core and pressure vessel was removed several months later.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:22 PM #10

worldbasketball

And here's a picture of your Idaho reactor CFFI
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg reactor.jpg (14.0 KB, 25 views)

Old 04-09-2004, 02:09 PM #11

Crazy Fan From Idaho

BE TRUE TO YOUR REACTOR!!!!
    Quote:
    Originally posted by worldbasketball
    And here's a picture of your Idaho reactor CFFI

Actually, Hanford is "my" reactor.

IMO, it's ridiculous to be using an incident that happened over 40 years ago to justify fears today. Talk to a RO you know personally. Nuclear regs today are lightyears more thorough than they were in the 60s!!

But thanks for your concern.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:49 AM #12

Marius123

Ukrainian biker girl in Chernobyl zone
    I came upon this Internet site by accident today -- and man, it's a long long time any site has made such a huge impression upon me:

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.

I know it's way off-topic, but simply couldn't refuse from recommending this to all of you.

"Eery", is that the English word? Just like being there...

Old 04-19-2004, 06:57 AM #13

Juan Carlos Nadal
    AWAY

You are a bit too late!

Old 04-19-2004, 07:01 AM #14

Marius123

Quote:
    Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
    You are a bit too late!

OK then, this is what happens when you're not a regular in the UN forum. Apparently you become a viscious spammer... Whoops...

Old 04-19-2004, 07:03 AM #15

Juan Carlos Nadal
    AWAY

Quote:
    Originally posted by Marius123
    OK then, this is what happens when you're not a regular in the UN forum. Apparently you become a viscious spammer... Whoops...

No worries! Yeah, It is a great site. I spent at least a couple of hours when Epadfield gave us the link. It's awesome. Maybe some of the new posters that didn't know about th old thread can use your link to find out about this great site!

Debug Information