Philippines NT vs bunch of old veterans from NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philippines NT vs bunch of old veterans from NBA

Can you tell me more info about this game-final score, etc.

Was this game played at all?
    47-70
    76-58

No, not played yet.
    Ex-NBA star Murphy eager to see action against top local hoop stars

Calvin Murphy, one of the best shooting guards to play in the National Basketball Association, is convinced he will be even more pleased at the talent he will see when he plays in the Philippines together with other former NBA greats in The Bad Boy Tour.

"I expect to see a higher quality of play, though I was quite pleased with the talent I saw in the 1970s," Murphy said, just a few days before arriving to play alongside fellow Hall of Famer Alex English and Dennis Rodman against two Philippine teams.

"They will see the same skills [from me] and a great entertainer," Murphy added.

Two games are set, the first at the Mandaue City in Cebu against the San Miguel All-Stars on April 27 and the second at the Araneta Coliseum on May 1 against Pilipinas Basketball, made up of Philippine Basketball Association standouts to be coached by Chot Reyes.

Murphy’s team will not be shorthanded, with Sidney Moncrief, Daryll Dawkins, Otis Birdsong, English and Rodman also playing. The Americans will be backstopped by high-flying standouts from the NBA’s Developmental League.

"Fans will see American basketball played to its finest, in above-the-rim levels," said Mario Whitmire, president of West End Sports, which is bringing the team of former NBA All Stars over.

"I know for a fact that Filipinos love that kind of a game, rim-rattling and high-scoring.

"Everyone will be in for a treat."

Whitmire got excited after confirming the participation of Murphy, one of the shortest men to play in the NBA but whose storied career gave him a place in the James Naismith Hall of Fame.

"I was taught to understand the totality of the game," Murphy said. "I worked hard to perfect the basics and became a pure shooter."

Standing just 5-foot-9, Murphy, who was drafted in the second round by the San Diego Rockets in 1970, finished with career numbers of 17.9 points per game, 1,165 steals and 4,402 assists in 1,022 games.

Murphy also expressed optimism that the Philippines could soon be represented in the NBA.

"Yes," said Murphy when asked of that question. "Because coaches in the NBA today don’t look at size. They look at talent."
    aim low, score high

Comment

my pessimistic side says "oh...more PR BS"
      although i would like to see someone of filipino descent in the nba soon though.
      "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Working...
      X

Debug Information