It’s no secret that Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is not fond of the NBA’s officiating. He’s publicly criticized NBA referees for years. He’s also no stranger to being fined by the NBA for the act, but apparently that didn’t stop him from voicing his displeasure again and the NBA responded by slapping him with another fine, this one for $50,000.
Cuban took to Twitter following a 99-96 overtime loss to the New Orleans Hornets on Jan. 5 and sent the following out to his 1.4 million followers:
“Im sorry NBA fans. Ive tried for 13 yrs to fix the officiating in this league and I have failed miserably. Any Suggestions ? I need help.”
Cuban was last fined in 2012 for $75,000 when he pointed out the poor officiating during a Mavs’ loss to the Thunder.
“I haven’t said a whole lot about the officiating in a long, long time, but I haven’t seen it this bad in a long, long time,” Cuban said, according to CBSSports.com. “Guys miss calls; that’s part of the game. You’re not always going to have a great crew. Officials have got to learn that’s part of the game. But these were officials that have been part of the league for years, and it was just off-the-charts bad. And, if no one ever says anything, nothing ever happens.”
Cuban may feel like he’s standing up for other owners and fans by calling out the referees, but so far his cries for help have only cost him, as Cuban has racked up $1.5 million in fines over his 13 years as Mavericks owner.
Of course, a billionaire like Cuban is not likely to be phased by $50,000, so expect more barking, especially if the Dallas Mavericks continue to play as poorly as they have so far this season. Dallas is enduring one of its worst starts in recent memory at 13-22.