corpse walk to their own grave in Funeral Ceremony in Toraja

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corpse walk to their own grave in Funeral Ceremony in Toraja

Toraga village is in Sulawesi Island, the Island which's closed to Philippine than jakarta (=or Java), Toraja peoples themselves mostly Christian mixed with animism.

Funeral Ceremony in Toraja

Rambu Soloq (Rites of The Dead of Tana Toraja)

In Toraja society, the funeral ritual is the most elaborate and expensive event.

The ceremony is often held weeks, months, or years after the death so that the deceased's family can raise the significant funds needed to cover funeral expenses. Torajans traditionally believe that death is not a sudden, abrupt event but a gradual process toward Puya (the land of souls, or afterlife). It is based on a strong belief that the soul of the deceased travels to the land of the south and in this land of eternity, he will need all the requisites of everyday life in the hereafter just like when he was alive in this world.
    During the waiting period, the body of the deceased is wrapped in several layers of cloth and kept inTongkonan. The soul of the deceased is thought to linger around the village until the funeral ceremony is completed, after which it begins its journey to Puya.In Toraja a person is not considered dead until this last ceremony and the soul is released to the heavens. It is this celebration that is so absorbing.

To Make a Dead Man Walk
    the villages of Tana Toraja were still extremely isolated and difficult to visit, certain people had the power to make a dead man walk to his village in order to be present at his own funeral. In this way, relatives of the deceased were spared the necessity of having to carry his corpse. One particular area, Mamasa.

source
    'Zombie is real guys...
    I heard about this when im still child btw, but never saw pic about it before,
    it said beside the family of the dead and the pawang ( the man whom can make dead people walk), anyone not related cannt watch the rite, thanks to the power of Cellphones with camera, we can watch it today
    Last edited by satria_muda; 04-08-2010, 08:57 AM.
    "BHINEKA TUNGGAL IKA"

I wonder where does this zombie rule apply?

1. "Cardio"
    2. "Double tap"
    3. "Beware of bathrooms
    4. "Wear seatbelts"
    6. "Cast iron skillet"
    7. "Travel light"
    8. "Get a kickass partner"
    12. "Bounty paper towels"
    15. "Bowling Ball"
    17. "(Don't) be a hero"
    18. "Limber up"
    21. "Avoid strip clubs"
    22. "When in doubt, know your way out"
    29. "The buddy system"
    31. "Check the back seat"
    32. "Enjoy the little things"
    33. "Swiss army knife"

Comment

Satria... I would've been able to live the rest of my bedroom life properly if only I hadn't seen that pic.... -_-

anyway, I heard there was a quake. How are things there?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
        Satria... I would've been able to live the rest of my bedroom life properly if only I hadn't seen that pic.... -_-

anyway, I heard there was a quake. How are things there?
        LOL!

'anyway from what I read from local newspapers not that bad bro,todays peoples more prepared for EQ in here,

but I also didnt feel it though coz it happened in island which's closed to malaysia than where I live
        "BHINEKA TUNGGAL IKA"

Comment

Satria_muda can you provide me with some links to articles and pics about that dead walking ritual?
          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Last summer, I read "The Corpse Walker" by a Chinese journalist named Liao. It was an easy book to read, because it was just a collection of stories about poor people in China: a guy who cleaned a public toilet, a crazy guy who thought he was an emperor, a prisoner, and so forth.

One of the interviews was with a guy who saw "corpse walkers" during the famine in the 1950s. He said that two men were paid to walk corpses for several days until they got to the dead person's hometown. One guy would stay in front and throw fake money out of a basket in order to "buy" the dead person's way to heaven. The other guy would carry the corpse on his back, but they would cover him with robes and blankets so it looked like the corpse was really walking.
            "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
              The other guy would carry the corpse on his back, but they would cover him with robes and blankets so it looked like the corpse was really walking.
              Interesting.

Actually there was a movie about this Chinese man carrying his dead buddy on his back so that the corpse can return to his hometown. I've actually watched it but the film was a total mess.
              aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
                Interesting.
                Yeah, the family paid the men to do it. According to the interview, it used to be a tradition in rural China.
                Actually there was a movie about this Chinese man carrying his dead buddy on his back so that the corpse can return to his hometown. I've actually watched it but the film was a total mess.
                I saw that movie advertised on HBO Latin American! I wanted to watch it, but I could never figure out what time it was going to be shown. I really wanted to see it. It looked like a "black" comedy, as advertised. I'm disappointed you didn't like it so much. I still might try to watch it if it comes out on DVD someday.
                "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                  it used to be a tradition in rural China.

I just did a google search and you are right --- except the tradition is only limited to certain areas (e.g. Western Hunan Province) -- and not exactly like what you described... but stuff like that is almost extinct in China because most people don't believe in those types of witchcraft any more.

HBO Latin America... WTH? I can find the film online, but trust me it's not worth it. The film wanted to be a comedy (it was released right before the Chinese New Year like most Chinese comedies) and at the same time also tried to be serious about many problems in the Chinese society. In the end it achieved neither.

BTW, in the trailer you can see a scene where the guy folds the corpse's arms like a T-shirt. Personally I've seen animal corpses and I know for a fact that moving arms like that is not possible after 24 hours due to biology.

And sorry for hijacking the thread
                  aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                    Satria_muda can you provide me with some links to articles and pics about that dead walking ritual?
                    I tried rikh, but I only found a bunch of articles in indonesians.

anyway I posted this, but it doesnt mean I belived on it
                    I will belive it if I see it with my own eyes,

dont mind to journey to toraja though if I have time to spare becuse the place is really beautifull from what I could see from internet and tv..

some pics of Toraja
                    houses of toraja peoples

hotel in toraja
                    "BHINEKA TUNGGAL IKA"

Comment

From the source I also have read of Buffalo sacrifice in which NatGeo Asia onced featured a similar funeral rite in Sulu Sulawesi.

I hope NatGeo Asia would feature the walking dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information