No announcement yet.

2016 FIBA Asia Challenge [Tehran, Iran, Sep 9-18]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Zou too, but he shouldn't be given too big a role offensively, he's essentially a blue-collar type player who is good at offensive rebounds, down and dirty defense assignments, and mid-range shots. I think he was a little lost these 2 games because they try to dump the ball to him down low too much and he's not a good passer in the post.

Good thing is China doesn't really need him now, he can be saved until Haddadi (if China ever makes the final). So far all 12 Chinese players have scored at least 8 points, this might be the deepest Chinese teams ever in memory, aside from Hu Jinqiu (and possibly Liu Zhixuan) everybody is about the same level and brings something different to the table, really enjoying this 12-man rotation.
    aim low, score high

Comment

Sunday’s Top 5 Players at the FIBA Asia Challenge 2016
      https://twitter.com/MicaHack

Comment

Originally posted by Mika Hakinen View Post
        Sunday’s Top 5 Players at the FIBA Asia Challenge 2016
        Except for 38-year-old Boney Watson, every American has made the All-Star 5 on at least one day.
        aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
          After 2 games, China "B" is shooting 46% from the 3's, making 10-11 threes each game. Five players (Liu Zhixuan, Fang Shuo, Yuan Shuai, Zhao Yanhao and He Tianju) have made at least 3 threes, and Li Nan can afford to have at least 2 of these snipers on the floor at all times.

The team is still too inexperienced (no player with FIBA Asia experience), and I think they will get exposed badly by South Korea or (if they get to meet) Iran. However, there are still 3 easier games left before that, starting with hopefully a massacre tomorrow.
          No excuse.They don't lack of experience of Fiba Asia.They played a lot of Asian youth games in the last several years.

Comment

The team is still too inexperienced (no player with FIBA Asia experience), and I think they will get exposed badly by South Korea or (if they get to meet) Iran. However, there are still 3 easier games left before that, starting with hopefully a massacre tomorrow.
            One thing working against Korea if they ever meet China is the lack of big men in the Korean side compared to the depth of the Chinese front-court. After 206cm Kim Jong-Kyu, Korea only has natural PF Jang Jae-Seok at 203 and 200 cm Choi Buk-Young. Both Jae-Seok and Buk-Young cannot defend the paint.

201 CM Jeong Hyo-Geun is an SF. Kim Jong-Kyu is not a good interior defender and this is where they miss Lee Jong-Hyun the most.

It seems that if Kim Jong-Kyu gets in foul trouble, Korea will be very vulnerable inside.
            Sacramento Kings
            HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by McCalebb2015 View Post
              No excuse.They don't lack of experience of Fiba Asia.They played a lot of Asian youth games in the last several years.
              If I'm correct, half the team (Cui Jinming, Fang Shuo, He Tianju, Zhao Dapeng, Tao Hanlin and Liu Zhixuan) never played in any FIBA Asian youth competitions, and 2 others (Yuan Shuai and Wu Qian) only played in World U19, but not in any Asian youth competitions. So where does "a lot of Asian youth games in the last several years" come from? Unless you are counting 3X3 which I never pay attention to.
              aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                One thing working against Korea if they ever meet China is the lack of big men in the Korean side compared to the depth of the Chinese front-court. After 206cm Kim Jong-Kyu, Korea only has natural PF Jang Jae-Seok at 203 and 200 cm Choi Buk-Young. Both Jae-Seok and Buk-Young cannot defend the paint.

201 CM Jeong Hyo-Geun is an SF. Kim Jong-Kyu is not a good interior defender and this is where they miss Lee Jong-Hyun the most.

It seems that if Kim Jong-Kyu gets in foul trouble, Korea will be very vulnerable inside.
                Good to know, but I never underestimate Korea, they are always well-coached and know how to exploit other team's weaknesses, and this Chinese team is very turnover-prone which plays to their advantage. In fact, this Chinese team barely beat North Korea (which has no post presence whatsoever) not even 2 weeks ago.
                aim low, score high

Comment

As much as I hate to admit it, China struggled against the Philippines. Give the Philippines credit, they tried all methods they could and executed their offense well and fought for rebounds. When the 3's don't fall, China's only saving grace was Hu Jinqiu. Again, Zou Yuchen is a useful player, but should never be used as an anchor in the post to pass out of a double team, that's beyond his capability, feeding him the ball not deep enough is asking for turnovers.

This is a great experience for the team though, better get exposed early than late. Unfortunately Zhao Dapeng seems to have gotten injured. Fortunately nobody else is.
                  aim low, score high

Comment

Haddadi looks soo lazy, is he princess?

Comment

As much as I hate to admit it, China struggled against the Philippines. Give the Philippines credit, they tried all methods they could and executed their offense well and fought for rebounds. When the 3's don't fall, China's only saving grace was Hu Jinqiu. Again, Zou Yuchen is a useful player, but should never be used as an anchor in the post to pass out of a double team, that's beyond his capability, feeding him the ball not deep enough is asking for turnovers.

This is a great experience for the team though, better get exposed early than late. Unfortunately Zhao Dapeng seems to have gotten injured. Fortunately nobody else is.
                      If we had our naturalized players, Blatche or Douthit, it would have been more closer (or perhaps we could steal a win). Our team have so many problems on offense: zero inside game, no set plays (HORNS, PnR, PnP, Triangle, etc.), barely any fast breaks, and poor outside shooting. How the hell did we lose only by 10?

question for you: how does China train its big men? Even at 19 years of age, Yi Jian-Lian was already exceptional. I first saw him play in 2006 Doha Asian Games.
                      GILAS WISHLIST:
                      6'8 Pingris

Comment

Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                        If we had our naturalized players, Blatche or Douthit, it would have been more closer (or perhaps we could steal a win). Our team have so many problems on offense: zero inside game, no set plays (HORNS, PnR, PnP, Triangle, etc.), barely any fast breaks, and poor outside shooting. How the hell did we lose only by 10?
                        That's basketball for you. How did India, which beat you, lose to Jordan by almost 60 points?

Philippines played hard and physical against the Chinese bigs, and that disrupted the Chinese offensive rhythm. Chinese players are too dogmatic and inflexible. The Filipinos already knew China would try inside-out every possession, even when it's obvious it shouldn't be done, especially with Zou Yuchen. In the North Korean (another super short team) warmup game China already had these kind of problems, but Philippines play a much different style defensively. Plus the outside shots were not falling for China (partly because of the Filipino defense), and Philippines were able to grab many rebounds to keep the game close. Again I thought it was a great learning experience for the Chinese players to play against this type of defense, as in the CBA and games before this they haven't been challenged like this.
                        aim low, score high

Comment

That's basketball for you. How did India, which beat you, lose to Jordan by almost 60 points?

Philippines played hard and physical against the Chinese bigs, and that disrupted the Chinese offensive rhythm. Chinese players are too dogmatic and inflexible. The Filipinos already knew China would try inside-out every possession, even when it's obvious it shouldn't be done, especially with Zou Yuchen. In the North Korean (another super short team) warmup game China already had these kind of problems, but Philippines play a much different style defensively. Plus the outside shots were not falling for China (partly because of the Filipino defense), and Philippines were able to grab many rebounds to keep the game close. Again I thought it was a great learning experience for the Chinese players to play against this type of defense, as in the CBA and games before this they haven't been challenged like this.
                          I think the biggest drawback of your system is that your players have a tendency to trust the 'system' too much. Had it not been for our smaller size, it would have been very problematic for your team as we have a tendency to resort to 'street ball' antics to try to win the game.

China has always been a systematic team. I've rarely seen a Chinese player jack up wild shots like Westbrook or Curry with the shot clock barely less than 20 seconds or take daredevil slashes to the hoop without coordinating a set play. Those kind of things work for the Americans but--sadly--not for us.

Fair enough, I envy your country's ability to train big men from scratch like that 18-year-old 6'11 dude.
                          GILAS WISHLIST:
                          6'8 Pingris

Comment

The big man development is related to the "dump the ball to the big man" approach used by most Chinese coaches, that's how youngsters develop, getting enough touches. The downside of this approach is perimeter players aren't developed as well. If China didn't have big men perhaps our guards and forwards would be better, but now the system favors big men. The 6'11'' dude Hu Jinqiu only started playing basketball 4 years ago and he has now developed into the best player on this team and one of the best players in this tournament. It's a lazy approach but effective against inferior/shorter competition. But Chinese bigs don't usually encounter this kind of defense:

Which is why it's a very good experience. I remember last year Filipino players (Calvin Abueva was his name?) also tried these against players much taller. At least I respect your players for not giving up without a fight, and this is something that Chinese big men should get used to and mentally prepare for.
                            aim low, score high

Comment

Hur Jae alternates his shooters to keep the offense sustained for Korea's favor. They always get up and run as much as possible and utilize a lot of mis-directions and curled cuts to shoot the three.

Shooter rotation:

Lee Seung-Hyun / Jeong Hyeo-Geun
                              Lee Jung-Hyun / Heo Ung
                              Cho Sung-Min / Heo Il-Young
                              Sacramento Kings
                              HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Monday’s Top 5 Players at the FIBA Asia Challenge 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information