No announcement yet.

Do you want Šaras in London's Olympics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you want Šaras in London's Olympics?

Since Olympics qualification is slowly coming by (first NT camp at the end of May) let's discuss maybe the biggest issue of 2012 roster (on other hand, it's pretty much the same since 2000 Olympics ) - should Šaras play in Olympics and would you want that?

Positives:
    -He can still fill the gap as the backup PG.
    -He's still the best pick and roll master of the team.
    -He's having a decent season with PAO. Fresh MVP of Greek Cup.
    - He can utilize Valanciunas' performance for 10-20 minutes.

Negatives:
    - Huge EGO that shadows some of players.
    - Kemzura seemed to have problems with Šaras in the famous quarterfinal.
    - Šaras is the leader and barely can deal with other role in NT. That was seen in Eurobasket 2011. That was one of the reasons why we lost quarterfinals, IMO.
    It would be great if he does.
    0%
    Yes, there's no other choices.
    0%
    Can't decide.
    0%
    He shouldn't play.
    0%
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Positives: bla-bla-bla

Negatives: bla-bla-bla

Reality: there aren't any other pg's even close to his level and no matter how old he is: 36, 50 or he's already a grandfather. He should be in if he wants as long as his brain is OK.

Comment

We don't have other PGs with experience playing in Euroleague - just Saras and Kalnietis. We have no choice but to take him. He can still be a leader (he won the MVP award scoring 10 points against Olympiacos recently) with limited playing time. And we lost because of him? I don't think that you can only blame him. 7 pts, 5 rebs, 5 asts, 3/4 2PT is pretty good in 20 minutes in my opinion. But his turnover rate is high. I don't know what's his problem with that. Maybe it's his ego .

"famous quarterfinal"? Should be "infamous" quarterfinal .

Comment

I blame Kemzūra for not replacing Šaras when he's too hot (even Butautas managed to do that pretty well). Also with his presence such players as Kalnieitis and Pocius looked like having different determination and understanding about their role in the team. If they looked like ready to do anything and to brake any walls in WC 2010 (probably feeling that no-one would do that except them), I missed that sparkle and believe in their eyes in 2011. Veterans bring their value, but reduce some of other players. 2010 NT was obviously stronger than 2011 NT (never will agree with different opinion), but we don't know how 2011 NT could look with Kleiza and Mačiulis. With that said I'm going to be optimist and to believe that with Šaras we are obviously stronger (just were missing Kleiza for that extra quality leap).

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
          I blame Kemzūra for not replacing Šaras when he's too hot (even Butautas managed to do that pretty well). Also with his presence such players as Kalnieitis and Pocius looked like having different determination and understanding about their role in the team. If they looked like ready to do anything and to brake any walls in WC 2010 (probably feeling that no-one would do that except them), I missed that sparkle and believe in their eyes in 2011. Veterans bring their value, but reduce some of other players. 2010 NT was obviously stronger than 2011 NT (never will agree with different opinion), but we don't know how 2011 NT could look with Kleiza and Mačiulis. With that said I'm going to be optimist and to believe that with Šaras we are obviously stronger (just were missing Kleiza for that extra quality leap).
          By hotter do you mean "on fire", as in very successful (in America, a "hot" player means a player that's on a roll - doing really well for a certain amount of time), or do you mean emotionally upset?

In 2010, Delininkaitis (if I'm not mistaken) was the backup PG. He is definitely not as good as Jasikevicius (though you gotta give Delnas credit for his decent three-point shooting). Heck, he's not even a PG, but more of an SG. Delnas doesn't possess Jasikevicius' defense or basketball IQ or even quickness. He's a good shooter and an OK passer, but not much more. Jasikevicius, on the other hand, is a leader, has high basketball IQ, is still relatively quick and can still shoot for three. I think Jasikevicius could've helped the 2010 World Championship team with his IQ and court vision.

Comment

I have really mixed feelings about this guy...
            He's clearly too old, too slow and too turnover prone to play at the highest level anymore. On the other hand he is still the best PG we have I think coach K will take him and he will play some limited minutes against particular opponents (who are not very athletic and his non-existant defense wouldn't be so exposed). Frankly his antics cost us in a few important games for the past few years, so I would live without him too. All in all, it's up to K to make a decision here, so who cares really

Comment

18 points in 13 minutes against Peristeri, 4/4 3PT. We cannot afford to not take this guy, who can still play well at 35.

Comment

There is no straightforward answer for me I guess.he has to be there,no doubt,in a diminished capacity .Can he live with that - hell no.
                Either way we will be damned if the outcome is bad.
                But really,should we be concerning ourselves with this?
                This question would be wrong if asked in 4 years time.
                I liked his interview where he said that on professional level he still plays on very top level in the top level team.
                On a good day he can give us a victory,on a bad day he should be substituted - simple as that.
                Now the question is if kemzura has enough guts to play his cards right.
                Let's hope so
                And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Saras substantially helped his team grab the win against Maccabi. 21 minutes, 13 points, 3 assists 4/5 2PT, 1/3 3PT, 2/2 FT. The guy's stepping up when his team needs it most. I really hope he plays for Lithuania during the summer - not only is he the best free throw shooter in the whole NT (~90%), but he can still pass the ball and can have hot shooting days. Kemzura would be a total buffoon if he didn't take Jasikevicius. I just hope he'll accept the invitation and join the NT.

Comment

Originally posted by macleopard13 View Post
                    . I just hope he'll accept the invitation and join the NT.
                    I personally do not thing Saras operates this way- in his later years playing for Nt it seems to me ,for him was like getting back into players market.
                    He had Midas touch in choosing teams,and he lost it by joining nba.after that he was like chasing devils whilest settling with panos.i just hope he will do decent thing like making himself available ,but 'family comes first' is also possible
                    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

I agree, but the closer the summer gets, the more I'm liking Saras. This guy's still on fire at 36. He helped kill Maccabi today - 17 minutes, 13 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 16 efficiency points. The only better player than Jasikevicius was Diamantidis. And he took smart shots too - 4/5 2PT, 1/1 3PT. We still got the best PG in Lithuanian basketball history, a living legend - let's use him while he's still hot. Of course, the decision will be up to him. But I don't think he'll decline - it's the Olympics, and he hasn't missed a single Olympic tournament since 1997.
                      Last edited by macleopard13; 04-09-2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Šaras is in great shape currenty. If he could be somewhere close to that level in NT this summer Lithuania would be very lucky. What a pleasant surprise to see him as the leader of PAO in the most important games of the season

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

10 points, 2 rebounds, 9 assists in 24 minutes. He's the best oldest (35+ year old) PG in Europe.

Comment

He is old, but his gameshape is good (don't know how many months it lasts for such old people), it will be 4th Olympic games for him.
                            Of course we first must win a qualifier round.
                            He must be in starting five also (if this gameshape will still be maintained).
                            Kalnietis is 10 years younger and ten times worse still, so no loss here anyway.
                            If Saras will not play then we must take Kalnietis as main PG, and we also must take some second PG.
                            Best choice is Alijevas (note that Ginevicius was better because he played in better teams and still sucked).
                            Other choices include Janavicius (who will end his career in Hungary's 2nd league), and other young prospects who are simply not ready to do anything in their lives, not speaking about olympic level of basketball where You will be guarded by guys like Chris Paul.
                            Also IMO young prospects who can not play at the level of men yet, shouldn't be in olympics at all. To participate in Olympic games is biggest achievement for an athlete, and if You did not prove yourself yet - you didn't earn to participate.

So basically we are talking about two alternatives:

1. Sharas and Kalnietis
                            2. Kalnietis and bag of crap.

The choice is obvious.

Comment

Jasikevicius played another great game in the Euroleague semifinals, but PAO lost anyway. He played 24 minutes, had 19 points (5/8 2PT, 3/6 3PT), 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 turnover (!). He could've had more assists, but I guess his points make up for that. Dirty Teodosic was no match for Saras . He's playing a high level of basketball, making smart decisions, and using his time wisely. Great, great player !

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information