Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBP Long-term national team pool (vol. XIV)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
    Rabeeh is a head case for toroman and gilas. he has this "star mentality" and want to start every game. and what he got? a seat in the bench chit chatting with cawaling, jazul and j-ball.
    even Petron/San Miguel are having problems with his attitude and work habits that they were forced to trade for his 'kuya' Carlo Sharma so that he'll straightened out.
    LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
    Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by potz05 View Post
      Plus butt grabbing? lolx
      At kagat labi + *Wink*

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
        Rabeeh is a head case for toroman and gilas. he has this "star mentality" and want to start every game. and what he got? a seat in the bench chit chatting with cawaling, jazul and j-ball.
        but norman black was able to keep rabeh in check, and not only that...he was able to mold him into a great player...it would be a waste not to see him, and all his bulky 6'7 frame, in the national team. he is a legit pf, got the body and mentality for it. toroman should learn how to control personalities like this...not all players are like jv casio. there isn't such a player as uncoachable...only that a coach should know how to approach him.

Comment

• ‘Super Ababou’ ready to put heartbreak, disappointments behind
          France Pinzon, special to InterAKTV ·

‘Super Ababou’ would be Dylan Ababou, the Most Valuable Player of the Season 72 of the UAAP. He led the league in scoring that year with 18.9 points per game, and added 7.1 rebounds and 2.2 assists.

Coming off the moment of his greatest triumph, few would have blamed Ababou if he chose to join the PBA. But that same year saw the genesis of the SMART-Gilas Pilipinas national team, and the rare opportunity to represent the flag internationally was something he could not pass up over turning pro.

Instead of getting valuable floor time, however, Ababou found himself nailed to the SMART-Gilas bench for most of the next two years. For the former UST superhero, his stint with the national team has been one long Kryptonite convention.

“SUPER ABABOU” — DOES he even like being called that?

“Okay lang, kasi nakasalamin ako, Clark Kent nga daw ako,” said Ababou in jest. The ex-King Tiger is known for his quick wit as the clown prince of SMART-Gilas.

Ababou was candid enough to express his disappointment over his lack of playing time during his national team stint.

“Actually, laging masama yung loob ko,” he said. “Kahit si [SMART-Gilas] coach [Rajko Toroman] mismo, alam niya masama ang loob ko, pero nagiging professional na lang ako. Hindi na lang ako nagrereklamo. ‘Pag pinasok ako ni Coach, binibigay ko na lang yung best ko.”

Ababou had once been projected as a vital member of the SMART-Gilas rotation. But the addition of more seasoned wing players to the team such as US NCAA Division I players Chris Lutz and Marcio Lassiter, and later, veteran shooting guard Dondon Hontiveros, meant that the former UAAP MVP had to settle for being just a third stringer.

“Nung dumating lang si Lutz and Lassiter kumbaga, mas nagtiwala si Coach Rajko sa kanila, tapos sila na yung ginamit,” Ababou noted.

Despite that, Ababou doesn’t see himself, skills- or talent-wise, as being far behind his more illustrious teammates.

“More experienced sila sa akin, Pero sa tingin ko, hindi naman [kami] masyado sobrang malayo,” he said “‘Di ko lang alam bakit talaga ako hindi ginagamit ni Coach.”

Still, he can’t help but find humor and irony in his situation.

“Sobrang hirap yun, kasi dati [sa UST], magkanda-puli-pulikat na ‘ko, hindi pa rin ako linalabas,” he said. “Tapos ngayon, pinupulikat na yung puwet ko sa bench.”

DESPITE A STERLING COLLEGE basketball career, his stint as a SMART-Gilas benchwarmer put Ababou out of heart and out of mind. You’re only as good as your last game, people say, and because the only playing time he got for most of his national team stint came during garbage time at the end of blowouts, Ababou’s stock in the 2011 PBA Rookie Draft plummeted.

He was drafted by Barako Bull at No. 10 — the last SMART-Gilas player to be taken. Picked ahead of him were players who had less-heralded college careers, Reil Cervantes and Allein Maliksi, who once served as a mere backup for ‘Super Ababou’ in UST.

For Ababou, it was just another in a long series of disappointments.

“Siyempre, nagulat din ako kasi ang forecast, No. 4 daw ako, or No. 7 or 8,” he said. “Tapos biglang naging No. 10. Hindi ko na lang inisip yun, sinabi ko sa sarili ko, wala sa draft ‘yan, nasa performance ‘yan sa court. So yun na lang ang inisip ko. Nagpaka-positive ako.”

Positive thinking — one has to wonder just how hard the budding professional has to work to have that kind of outlook in life. A look back at his early days reveals a story worthy of an episode of a television drama.

Ababou was raised by his late grandmother. His mother Rosemarie Rosales, who is in town to visit him for a month, left the country when Ababou was only seven years old. She now lives in Los Angeles with her husband Frank Wodley, and their son Jason.

His biological father Rachid, meanwhile, is a retired Moroccan football player who now resides in Sweden with two children of his own.

Ababou has never seen his father, and was only able to talk to him online fairly recently.

“Nung 21-years old ako, nakausap ko siya sa, Friendster pa nun,” said Ababou. “Dati, [nasa] national team siya ng soccer, tapos yung dalawang anak niya ngayon [nasa] national team din, sa Sweden naman. Okay lang [kung magkita kami], walang problema.”

With his pedigree, it turns out, Ababou could have easily been a member of that other popular national team. But growing up without his mom and dad, basketball easily captured the young Dylan Ababou’s heart.

HE STILL VIVIDLY REMEMBERS what happened. He was an eight-year-old addicted to basketball, and some of his neighbors were making fun of him for being too young to play against them. Out of annoyance, one of the men threw Ababou’s green-and-white Milo basketball into the river beside their barangay’s outdoor basketball court.

With tears streaming down his face, he boldly walked up to the grown-ups and said: “‘Pag laki ko, tatalunin ko kayo.”

Ababou said that incidents like those elicited his passion for the game even more.

“Hindi mo na lang iisipin yung mga nangyari kasi thankful ka rin dahil, kung hindi nila ginawa yun, hindi mati-trigger yung fire in you,” he said.

For most of his life, Ababou has thrived in being taken lightly — in being underestimated. To him, being the tenth pick might work in his favor, as he isn’t expected to put in monster numbers right away. Which is not to say he won’t be giving his all as soon as the new season of the PBA starts.

“I always give my 110 percent,” he said. “Nagpapakamatay talaga ako sa court.”

For someone who’s been through numerous ups and downs in his career and personal life, the always-pensive contender on the court has always managed to come out and show everyone his wares, often leading his team to victory. And despite few expectations as the tenth pick of Barako Bull, don’t be surprised if he dons his cape and turns into ‘Super Ababou’ once more.
          FOR YOUR SEO NEEDS, VISIT US @ http://www.extremeseophilippines.com

ANG PAGIGING PILIPINO KO AY ISANG KARANGALAN, SAAN MANG SULOK NG DAIGDIG AKO DALHIN NG AKING KAPALARAN, IKARARANGAL KO ANG MABUHAY AT MAMATAY NG DAHIL SA INANG BAYAN!

BAYAN KO! HANGGANG SA HULING PINTIG NYARING AKING PUSO, WATAWAT MO'Y BUONG TAPANG NA IWAWAGAYWAY, HANGGANG IKA'Y MULING MAGING TANYAG, SA MAPAG-USISANG MATA NG MGA DAYUHAN!

“We live by faith and not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7

Comment

• Originally posted by joeven View Post
            Read carefully his introduction post, brother!
            whats with the introduction post? do i need to be a rocket scientist to understand it?

no offense to the poster though, its just my reaction. rabeh was having problems way back. i was just wondering if why he's wishing for rabeh to be included again. i doubt he'll change. lol. unless if he's wishing for the future NT to implode.
            The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Updated Roster of National Teams for Wuhan

Asia-basket.com does not have the correct list of national players for Wuhan. It is already available now (sorry if this was already mentioned by other forumers). Check out the Philippine team and some other teams:

philippines

No. Given Name Family Name DOB Ht. Pos.
              4 Mark Andy Barocca 25/04/1986 176
              5 Pauliasi Taulava 02/03/1973 208
              6 Joseph Evans Casio 01/09/1986 176
              7 Jim Alapag 30/12/1977 176
              8 Christopher John Tiu 15/07/1985 178
              9 Japeth Paul Aguilar 25/01/1985 208
              10 Marnel Baracael 14/04/1985 188
              11 Marcus Douthit 15/04/1980 210
              12 Kelly Williams 07/02/1982 199
              13 Marcio Tsongo Lassiter 16/05/1987 188
              14 Christopher Ryan Lutz 11/02/1985 190
              15 Ranidel De Ocampo 08/12/1981 193

Iran

4 Mehrad Atashi 25/02/1986 188
              5 Aren Davoudichegani 07/12/1986 185
              6 Javad Davari 25/04/1983 185
              7 Mahdi Kamrani 06/01/1982 186
              8 Saeid Davarpanah Karekani 09/07/1987 191
              9 Arsalan Kazemi Naeini 22/04/1990 199
              10 Hamed Afagh 02/01/1983 190
              11 Hamed Sohrabnejad 05/07/1983 202
              12 Asghar Kardoust Poustinsaraei 21/03/1986 212
              13 Oshin Sahakian 21/03/1986 200
              14 Mohammad Samad Nikkhah Bahrami 05/11/1983 198
              15 Hamed E Hadadi 19/05/1985 218

China
              4 Jinhui Ding 27/10/1989 204
              5 Wei Liu 15/01/1980 190
              6 Bo Zhang 30/09/1990 198
              7 Li Yi 07/11/1987 202
              8 Fangyu Zhu 05/01/1983 201
              9 Yue Sun 06/11/1985 205
              10 Zhaoxu Zhang 18/11/1987 221
              11 Jianlian Yi 27/10/1987 212
              12 Shulong Yu 19/02/1990 185
              13 Wei Su 28/07/1989 212
              14 Zhizhi Wang 08/07/1979 214
              15 Mugedar Xirelijiang 04/01/1991 191

Japan

4 Keijuro Matsui 16/10/1985 188
              5 Ken Takada 05/10/1978 188
              6 Ryota Sakurai 13/03/1983 194
              7 Takumi Ishikazi 06/07/1984 188
              8 Shinsuke Kashiwagi 22/12/1981 183
              9 Takuya Kawamura 24/04/1986 193
              10 Kosuke Takeuchi 29/01/1985 206
              11 Tomoo Amino 25/09/1980 196
              12 Kenta Hirose 11/07/1985 193
              13 Takeki Shonaka 15/09/1984 180
              14 Atsuya Ota 04/06/1984 206
              15 Joji Takeuchi 29/01/1985 206

Korea

4 Chan Hee Park 17/04/1987 190
              5 Jungsuk Lee 06/07/1982 183
              6 Donggeun Yang 14/09/1981 180
              7 Byunghyun Kang 03/03/1985 193
              8 Taejong Moon 01/12/1975 198
              9 Yonghwan Kim 05/07/1984 195
              10 Sungmin Cho 23/12/1983 189
              11 Heejong Yang 11/05/1984 194
              12 Joo Sung Kim 09/11/1979 205
              13 Seung Jin Ha 04/08/1985 221
              14 Sekeun Oh 20/05/1987 200
              15 Jongkyu Kim 03/07/1991 207

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                whats with the introduction post? do i need to be a rocket scientist to understand it?

no offense to the poster though, its just my reaction. rabeh was having problems way back. i was just wondering if why he's wishing for rabeh to be included again. i doubt he'll change. lol. unless if he's wishing for the future NT to implode.
                i understand your point.. i am an atenean and i know his attitude way back in college.. he has this air inside his head especially when he suddenly improved in his 4th year in the UAAP.. i know his ugly attitude THAT IS WHY I PUT A DISCLAIMER AT THE START OF MY POST!!! AND IF YOU LOOK AT THE END I PUT THERE "WISHFUL THINKING"... i know it is close to impossible to handle him..

but it is a waste not to include him.. i feel sorry because i think he is one of the missing pieces in the GILAS puzzle.. why??? have you noticed in Gilas plays that Mac Baracael and Japeth Aguilar almost always become free in the perimeter midrange area??? it was a good thing Mac Baracael can shoot that is why sometimes he scores a lot through this.. Japeth is very tentative and when he becomes free (because LOLO will get angry) he will opt to drive or pass..

this is where Rabeh comes in.. Rabeh has an very soft touch in the midrange area as seen during his ADMU Blue Eagles days.. and Rabeh knows when to shoot the putback fast so that NO ONE can steal the ball.. that is why i included him..

but i respect you in this.. because i first hand know who he is and his attitude..

and as for J-Balle, all he can do is add a big body on defense.. and that's it (even sometimes he can not be effective especially when scouted well).. as a national team, we need players who can be versatile..

Comment

• Group D Perspective: Welcome to the most popular Prelim Round Group
                  From Fiba Asia Website

WUHAN, China (26th FIBA Asia Championship): In terms of popularity, there can be no two opinions which of the four groups in the Prelim Round will be the most popular. With China and Philippines two of the largest supporters of basketball in the world – the former being a host at that – it is obvious and only natural that action in Group D should grab the maximum eye-balls.

Having said that, China and Philippines have been in news in the preparatory phase for all the wrong reasons –injuries to some of their leading players.

Philippines have sought to rope in players from PBA – and two of them Jim Alapag and Ranidel de Ocampo gave a good account of themselves in the ongoing friendlies with Qatar and Jordan.

And China have thought of some out-of-the-box motivational methods asking their players to draw inspiration from the mysterious smile of Mona Lisa!

Philippines and China between them have won 19 gold medals in the FIBA Asia Championships. That probably is the catalyst for the overwhelming popularity of basketball in the two countries. But then they are also under tremendous pressure to come good again.

The battle of wits has already begun between the two.

China coach Bob Donewald Jr. termed Philippines as a “dangerous opponent” in a media interaction recently and his Philippines counterpart Rajko Toroman retorted: “China can be beaten at home.”

Toroman, of course, is aiming to become the first coach to lead two different FIBA Asia teams to the Olympics.

The gentle Serbian was at the helm of affairs when Iran won their maiden gold at the 24th FIBA Asia Championship at Tokushima in 2007 and subsequently the 2008 Beijing Olympics. And now will hope he can provide the spark for the Smart Gilas to qualify for 2012 London Olympics.

One can be forgiven if he overlooks the two other teams in this group – GCC teams Bahrain and UAE. The clash between these two should decide the third qualifier for Second Round – considering the overall superiority and overwhelming popularity China and Philippines enjoy.

There are no prizes which game will draw the most eye balls – China play Philippines at 20:00 Hrs on Sept 16! Apart from the gold medal game that is!
                  FOR YOUR SEO NEEDS, VISIT US @ http://www.extremeseophilippines.com

ANG PAGIGING PILIPINO KO AY ISANG KARANGALAN, SAAN MANG SULOK NG DAIGDIG AKO DALHIN NG AKING KAPALARAN, IKARARANGAL KO ANG MABUHAY AT MAMATAY NG DAHIL SA INANG BAYAN!

BAYAN KO! HANGGANG SA HULING PINTIG NYARING AKING PUSO, WATAWAT MO'Y BUONG TAPANG NA IWAWAGAYWAY, HANGGANG IKA'Y MULING MAGING TANYAG, SA MAPAG-USISANG MATA NG MGA DAYUHAN!

“We live by faith and not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7

Comment

• Originally posted by zuma169 View Post
                    i understand your point.. i am an atenean and i know his attitude way back in college.. he has this air inside his head especially when he suddenly improved in his 4th year in the UAAP.. i know his ugly attitude THAT IS WHY I PUT A DISCLAIMER AT THE START OF MY POST!!! AND IF YOU LOOK AT THE END I PUT THERE "WISHFUL THINKING"... i know it is close to impossible to handle him..

but it is a waste not to include him.. i feel sorry because i think he is one of the missing pieces in the GILAS puzzle.. why??? have you noticed in Gilas plays that Mac Baracael and Japeth Aguilar almost always become free in the perimeter midrange area??? it was a good thing Mac Baracael can shoot that is why sometimes he scores a lot through this.. Japeth is very tentative and when he becomes free (because LOLO will get angry) he will opt to drive or pass..

this is where Rabeh comes in.. Rabeh has an very soft touch in the midrange area as seen during his ADMU Blue Eagles days.. and Rabeh knows when to shoot the putback fast so that NO ONE can steal the ball.. that is why i included him..

but i respect you in this.. because i first hand know who he is and his attitude..

and as for J-Balle, all he can do is add a big body on defense.. and that's it (even sometimes he can not be effective especially when scouted well).. as a national team, we need players who can be versatile..
                    please don't put caps.just bold it.your implying to me your shouting. have some etiquette. assume of course if your an educated man, otherwise consider my comment irrelevant. i know what your trying to say. im not stupid. its just my opinion.no need to put all caps and shout(so-to-speak). you could've had better wish. i thought ramos can do better than rabeh. but its another story. please be considerate with your caps.
                    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

please don't put caps.just bold it.your implying to me your shouting. have some etiquette. assume of course if your an educated man, otherwise consider my comment irrelevant. i know what your trying to say. im not stupid. its just my opinion.no need to put all caps and shout(so-to-speak). you could've had better wish. i thought ramos can do better than rabeh. but its another story. please be considerate with your caps.
                      i apologize if that's the way it was put across to you.. my bad.. i was just trying to make a point.. again my friend sincerely i apologize..

i know that we all have opinions about this matter and all kinds of topics.. we can express them but we can also react to them.. that's the beauty of a free country.. again i am sorry..

Comment

• its okay. we can agree to disagree. although i support your opinion about rabeh though.if not only for his attitude. sometimes i wonder how great rabeh could be if he gets his head straight.

Comment

its okay. we can agree to disagree. although i support your opinion about rabeh though.if not only for his attitude. sometimes i wonder how great rabeh could be if he gets his head straight.
                          that's the problem with a very kinky hair. bazinga!

*can't wait for the new season of The Big Bang Theory.
                          I'm back. Don't ask why. Just be glad.

Comment

• Originally posted by capitantiago View Post
                            that's the problem with a very kinky hair. bazinga!

*can't wait for the new season of The Big Bang Theory.
                            haha OT..

2 weeks to go..

Comment

• Originally posted by dtfernando View Post
                              Asia-basket.com does not have the correct list of national players for Wuhan. It is already available now (sorry if this was already mentioned by other forumers). Check out the Philippine team and some other teams:

philippines

4 Mark Andy Barocca 25/04/1986 176
                              5 Pauliasi Taulava 02/03/1973 208
                              6 Joseph Evans Casio 01/09/1986 176
                              7 Jim Alapag 30/12/1977 176
                              8 Christopher John Tiu 15/07/1985 178
                              9 Japeth Paul Aguilar 25/01/1985 208
                              10 Marnel Baracael 14/04/1985 188
                              11 Marcus Douthit 15/04/1980 210
                              12 Kelly Williams 07/02/1982 199
                              13 Marcio Tsongo Lassiter 16/05/1987 188
                              14 Christopher Ryan Lutz 11/02/1985 190
                              15 Ranidel De Ocampo 08/12/1981 193

Iran

4 Mehrad Atashi 25/02/1986 188
                              5 Aren Davoudichegani 07/12/1986 185
                              6 Javad Davari 25/04/1983 185
                              7 Mahdi Kamrani 06/01/1982 186
                              8 Saeid Davarpanah Karekani 09/07/1987 191
                              9 Arsalan Kazemi Naeini 22/04/1990 199
                              10 Hamed Afagh 02/01/1983 190
                              11 Hamed Sohrabnejad 05/07/1983 202
                              12 Asghar Kardoust Poustinsaraei 21/03/1986 212
                              13 Oshin Sahakian 21/03/1986 200
                              14 Mohammad Samad Nikkhah Bahrami 05/11/1983 198
                              15 Hamed E Hadadi 19/05/1985 218

China
                              4 Jinhui Ding 27/10/1989 204
                              5 Wei Liu 15/01/1980 190
                              6 Bo Zhang 30/09/1990 198
                              7 Li Yi 07/11/1987 202
                              8 Fangyu Zhu 05/01/1983 201
                              9 Yue Sun 06/11/1985 205
                              10 Zhaoxu Zhang 18/11/1987 221
                              11 Jianlian Yi 27/10/1987 212
                              12 Shulong Yu 19/02/1990 185
                              13 Wei Su 28/07/1989 212
                              14 Zhizhi Wang 08/07/1979 214
                              15 Mugedar Xirelijiang 04/01/1991 191

Japan

4 Keijuro Matsui 16/10/1985 188
                              5 Ken Takada 05/10/1978 188
                              6 Ryota Sakurai 13/03/1983 194
                              7 Takumi Ishikazi 06/07/1984 188
                              8 Shinsuke Kashiwagi 22/12/1981 183
                              9 Takuya Kawamura 24/04/1986 193
                              10 Kosuke Takeuchi 29/01/1985 206
                              11 Tomoo Amino 25/09/1980 196
                              12 Kenta Hirose 11/07/1985 193
                              13 Takeki Shonaka 15/09/1984 180
                              14 Atsuya Ota 04/06/1984 206
                              15 Joji Takeuchi 29/01/1985 206

Korea

4 Chan Hee Park 17/04/1987 190
                              5 Jungsuk Lee 06/07/1982 183
                              6 Donggeun Yang 14/09/1981 180
                              7 Byunghyun Kang 03/03/1985 193
                              8 Taejong Moon 01/12/1975 198
                              9 Yonghwan Kim 05/07/1984 195
                              10 Sungmin Cho 23/12/1983 189
                              11 Heejong Yang 11/05/1984 194
                              12 Joo Sung Kim 09/11/1979 205
                              13 Seung Jin Ha 04/08/1985 221
                              14 Sekeun Oh 20/05/1987 200
                              15 Jongkyu Kim 03/07/1991 207
                              seriously? wang zhizhi's age is 32?
                              Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by zuma169 View Post
                                haha OT..

2 weeks to go..
                                hahaha
                                The Justice League Recombination is the best and most hilarious episode ever!
                                I'm back. Don't ask why. Just be glad.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information