Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sons of cage greats doing great in the UAAP ( High School Division)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time is too fast, too many 2nd generation sons of PBA superstars.

Comment

Another 2nd generation baller will soon be under the spotlight ...

Comment

Originally posted by phevergy View Post
        Time is too fast, too many 2nd generation sons of PBA superstars.
        Man, I feel old.
        Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Courtesy of "Joescoundrel", from the Gameface forums:

"Keifer Ravena, Cedric Labingisa and Jeron Teng turned it up in the closing minutes as the RP 16-and under team survived a late game surge by Lasalle Zobel to prevail 77 - 72.

Zobel, featuring a taller lineup than the Nationals, were keeping themselves ahead for most of the first half, the last time at 29-23 late in the second period behind veterans Luigi Dela Paz, Gwayne Capacio and 6'7" newcomer Arnold Van Opstal.

Ravena and Teng then conspired with Kevin Ferrer, Paolo Romero and Von Pessumal in a 12-0 run to end the first half, as the Nationals seized a 41-33 lead going into the lemon time break.

In the third period it was practically an all-RP show as the lead went as high as 59-43 late in the quarter. Romero used superior pivots in the lane to score against the taller Zobel frontline. Ravena cut up the Zobel defense with his dribble-penetration and patented double-clutch layups. Teng waxed hot from trey range. And the RP Boys tightened up with their own full court press and halfcourt trap on the defensive end to generate turnovers and frustrate the Zobel guards.

Just when the Nationals looked headed for an easy cruise to victory, Capacio took charge himself and went on a fourth period tear, scoring eight straight points to cut down the lead to 67-63 with still four minutes and change to go.

Ravena however would not let the RP Boys falter as he made four straight freethrows and once again scrambled the Zobel offense with his quick darting hands, disrupting the passing lanes and taking the ball away handily from Nico Elorde and Dela Paz.

Capacio responded with another cluster of four points on strong drives along the baseline, and the Ravena-Capacio duel was coming to a climax. Zobel was now within 75-72.

In the end though it would be the freethrows of Teng that sealed the win as Zobel ran out of timeouts to set up plays in their last two possessions.

Capacio led all scorers with 21 points to go with 14 rebounds and two blocks. Dela Paz added 16 on 3-4 shooting from trey range.

Ravena led the Nationals with 15 points and five steals, Teng added 13 with three treys, while Romero had 10 points and nine rebounds.

Zobel is known as a speed team with great perimeter shooting, but in this game the RP Boys beat them at their own game. "We really lack size, so we make up for it with speed on transition and outside shooting," explained RP head coach Eric Altamirano.

Their participation in this tournament is meant as a tuneup for the coming months. "We wanted to get a taste of top-level competition, that is why we joined the NSL," said Altamirano. "We have the FIBA-Asia Youth tournament in November this year, and we might go to China in June. I'm trying to get as much training as possible now because the boys go back to their school teams in June and July," he added.
          Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

how old is capacio?

too old for U16 team?

Comment

Gwynne has been playing 4 or 5 in High School, but at only around 6'2", he might have to switch to 3 in College.

http://sports.inquirer.net/youthspor...cel-on-defense

Capacio’s Son Wants To Excel On Defense

By Marjorie Gorospe
              INQUIRER.net
              First Posted 14:17:00 05/13/2009

Filed Under: Basketball

MANILA, Philippines – How does it feel to be following the footsteps of your father, regarded as one of the greatest defensive players to have ever played in the PBA?

Gwayne Capacio shares that it feels like any father-and-son relationship. Like any normal kid, he strives to make his father proud.

The younger Capacio, an incoming senior student, plays forward for the De La Salle-Zobel Baby Archers. According to him, his father’s presence during his games inspires him to play better.

“He has his expectations but I’m just inspired whenever he’s around,” he said.

His father Glenn, a perennial member of the PBA All-Defensive Team during his heyday with Purefoods and now head coach of the Far Eastern University varsity team, finds a way to look after Gwayne’s growth in basketball despite his busy schedule

Gwayne’s team is currently playing in the ongoing Fil-Chinese Basketball League (FCBL) Freego Jeans Cup.

“We play everyday and he gives me tips on how to do this and that, but I must admit that I sometimes fail to apply what he taught me in some situations,” Gwayne said in an interview with INQUIRER.net, referring to his dad.

He believes his strength as a player isn’t really on defense although he said: “I know where I am good at but I hope to be better on defense.”

Capacio, who stands 6’2”, said he plans on taking up a business course in college although he did not give an absolute answer whether he would want to continue playing for La Salle.

“We will come to that,” he said. “I believe that in every game, we should always give our best shot and never give up.”

Comment

how good

is this Carlo Lastimosa? Did anyone see him play? I found these interesting links. http://www.ateneo.edu/index.php?p=12...ec=27&aid=3523 , http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=69

Comment

How about the young Tolomia? How was he?

Comment

Originally posted by ramzaruglia View Post
                    How about the young Tolomia? How was he?
                    He's a good slasher.almost unstoppable.

Comment

Originally posted by kamokamo View Post
                      is this Carlo Lastimosa? Did anyone see him play? I found these interesting links. http://www.ateneo.edu/index.php?p=12...ec=27&aid=3523 , http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=69
                      I think this is the "Lastimosa" who is now playing for CSB, and who topscored for that team in their latest game at the Fil-Oil Cup.

Comment

Red Cubs perfect in elims
                        by Jonas Terrado

The San Beda Red Cubs cruised past Adamson, 82-57, to gain top spot in Group A of the 2009 Nike Summer League juniors' division at the FEU gym in Morayta, Manila last May 25.

All Red Cubs scored during the 40-minute encounter as led from start to finish en route to a perfect elimination round campaign.

With a 5-0 record, San Beda is set to meet De La Salle Zobel at the start of next week's quarterfinals.

Baser Amer led the way for the Taytay-based squad with 12 points and two assists while Yvan Ludovice added 10 points and three assists as they led 43-24 at halftime and never looked back.

Lefty Arthur dela Cruz, son of former PBA bruiser Art dela Cruz, chipped in eight points and eight rebounds for the team of legendary mentor Ato Badolato.

Leo Rearte led the Junior Falcons with 13 points and three rebounds while Jasper Badion added 11 points and six rebounds in a losing cause.

Adamson finished the elims with a 3-2 record for third place behind second-placer Ateneo de Manila High School, which ended with a 4-1 card.

In the other juniors' game, Letran also completed a perfect record in the elims by beating Perpetual Help, 95-78.

The Squires finished the elims on top of Group D at 5-0 and will battle the Blue Eaglets in the quarters.

Two other pairings in the last eight are not yet finalized as Jose Rizal University and University of Santo Tomas are tied at 4-1 with both teams figuring in a one-game match for top spot in Group B.

The winner will play NCRAA runner-up Rizal Technological University while the loser battles La Salle Greenhills.

Quarterfinal action in both divisions will be played at FEU gym while the semifinal and championship games are set at the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig City.

Comment

you can also count the sons of cebuano former PBA players.
                          1. larry villanel - harlow and harry villanil
                          2. rudy enterina - rudy enterina jr.
                          3. elmer cabahug - mikee cabahug
                          4. mark tallo - jayven tallo
                          "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Ravena’s son soars high for the Eaglets

By Marjorie Gorospe
                            INQUIRER.net
                            First Posted 23:20:00 08/20/2009

Filed Under: Basketball, University Athletics Association of the Philippines (UAAP)

MANILA, Philippines – Die-hard PBA fans would undoubtedly be reminded of his dad if they see Kiefer Ravena play.

Kiefer has the same array moves his dad Bong used to have when he was playing for the Purefoods (and later on, Mobiline) - a two-guard who can penetrate and likewise shoot from the perimeter.

The younger Ravena acknowledges the pressure of being the son of a former professional basketball player. But he is slowly carving his own name as the go-to guy for defending champion Ateneo in the UAAP juniors basketball tournament.

In their recent game against rival La Salle Zobel, Ravena shot crucial free throws in the final minutes to lift Ateneo to an 84-78 win, and handing the Baby Archers their first loss after winning seven straight games.

"There will always be comparison between us but I tend to just play my game. Some would say that my dad is better than me but my dad will just laugh and tell me 'See, I'm better?'," said the younger Ravena,currently averaging around 20 points per game.

Although the elder Ravena has years of experience playing ball - and now an assistant coach to Talk and Text in the PBA- the 15 year-old Eaglet said his dad has taught him to always listen to his coach.

"But of course, I have post game analysis (of my games) with him he will tell me what to keep doing and what to avoid in the next games," he said, adding that Sunday is always quality time for the Ravenas.

Ateneo head coach Jamike Jarin, meanwhile, also took note of Ravena's leadership qualities and acknowledged his dependability when they need to step up on offense.

Now on his junior year, Ravena sees himself a few years from now taking up a course in business while playing for Ateneo.He is also part of the RP Youth developmental squad.

"Right now, I'm just focused on leading the team and try to balance school, UAAP and being part of the RP youth team," said Ravena, who said he listens to music to relax himself before every game.

Comment

Ravena’s son soars high for the Eaglets

By Marjorie Gorospe
                              INQUIRER.net
                              First Posted 23:20:00 08/20/2009

Filed Under: Basketball, University Athletics Association of the Philippines (UAAP)

MANILA, Philippines – Die-hard PBA fans would undoubtedly be reminded of his dad if they see Kiefer Ravena play.

Kiefer has the same array moves his dad Bong used to have when he was playing for the Purefoods (and later on, Mobiline) - a two-guard who can penetrate and likewise shoot from the perimeter.

The younger Ravena acknowledges the pressure of being the son of a former professional basketball player. But he is slowly carving his own name as the go-to guy for defending champion Ateneo in the UAAP juniors basketball tournament.

In their recent game against rival La Salle Zobel, Ravena shot crucial free throws in the final minutes to lift Ateneo to an 84-78 win, and handing the Baby Archers their first loss after winning seven straight games.

"There will always be comparison between us but I tend to just play my game. Some would say that my dad is better than me but my dad will just laugh and tell me 'See, I'm better?'," said the younger Ravena,currently averaging around 20 points per game.

Although the elder Ravena has years of experience playing ball - and now an assistant coach to Talk and Text in the PBA- the 15 year-old Eaglet said his dad has taught him to always listen to his coach.

"But of course, I have post game analysis (of my games) with him he will tell me what to keep doing and what to avoid in the next games," he said, adding that Sunday is always quality time for the Ravenas.

Ateneo head coach Jamike Jarin, meanwhile, also took note of Ravena's leadership qualities and acknowledged his dependability when they need to step up on offense.

Now on his junior year, Ravena sees himself a few years from now taking up a course in business while playing for Ateneo.He is also part of the RP Youth developmental squad.

"Right now, I'm just focused on leading the team and try to balance school, UAAP and being part of the RP youth team," said Ravena, who said he listens to music to relax himself before every game.

Comment

Jeric Teng = Best Rookie in the UAAP
                                Kiefer Ravena - Best PG in the UAAP Juniors Division.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information