Top 10 Great Taste/Presto cagers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 Great Taste/Presto cagers

There's a lot of written piece/opinions on each PBA team's top 10 greatest players, from Barangay Ginebra, San Miguel Beer and Purefoods, how about the Gokongwei franchise' 10 best players who, at one time or another help the team win 6 PBA championships from 1975-1992. Here's my choices:

1. Ricardo Brown (1983-1987) - obviously the best player Great Taste ever had, 5 titles with this team, ROY in '83 and MVP in '85, and scoring numerous 30-40 point outputs.
    2. Allan Caidic (1987-1992) - second best, two championships with Great Taste/Presto, with the all-time record 79 points and third-best single-game output of 68 points. also won ROY and MVP while playing for this team.
    3. Manny Victorino (1981-1986, 1989-1990) although it was Ricardo Brown's entry that made Great Taste a championship-caliber team, it was Victorino first in '81 who put this team on the map as a franchise player, and one of the only few 6"5 centers at that time.
    4. Abe King (1985-1992)
    5. Arnie Tuadles (1984, 1987-1988, 1990-1992) - came back with this team twice and each time won a title.
    6. Bogs Adornado (1983-1984)
    7. Philip Cezar (1987-1988)
    8. Joy Carpio (1983-1990) - the only player to have been part of all 6 championships of Great Taste, more of a 6th man role.
    9. Gerry Esplana (1990-1992) - Rookie of the year who outshown his fellow rookie and teammate Peter Jao, Presto's overall number 1 pick.
    10. Zaldy Realubit (1989-1992) - his performance in the 1990 All-Filipino finals landed him a spot in the national team as a replacement for Jerry Codinera.

Question sir?

Manny Victorino is one of the most underrated big man in the PBA along with Yoyoy Villamin.. can you tell who had a better Career? Manny Victorino, Danny Ildefonso, Ranidel De Ocampo or Kerby Raymundo?
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
      Question sir?

Manny Victorino is one of the most underrated big man in the PBA along with Yoyoy Villamin.. can you tell who had a better Career? Manny Victorino, Danny Ildefonso, Ranidel De Ocampo or Kerby Raymundo?
      Of the four, based on the MVP award, Danny I should be number 1, between Victorino and Raymundo, I'd take Manny anytime, if we used the term "mas madiskarte sa galaw" inside the paint compared to Kerby, Victorino can also shoot well from the outside, Fernandez and Guidaben were the more established centers around those days thats why Victorino often lived in their shadows.

Comment

Originally posted by mon23 View Post
        Of the four, based on the MVP award, Danny I should be number 1, between Victorino and Raymundo, I'd take Manny anytime, if we used the term "mas madiskarte sa galaw" inside the paint compared to Kerby, Victorino can also shoot well from the outside, Fernandez and Guidaben were the more established centers around those days thats why Victorino often lived in their shadows.
        If I'm not mistaken, Abet, Don Ramon, and Manny were part of a unique situation/clause in the 80's where they could only be traded with eachother to other teams in an effort to balance the league. Hence, Guidaben and Fernandez swapped places several times (much to the chagrin of Abet).

As for my top players:

1. Ricky Brown
        2. Allan Caidic
        3. Manny Victorino
        4. Arnie Tuadles
        5. Philip Cezar
        6. Abe King
        7. Bogs Adornado
        8. Joy Carpio
        9. Willie Pearson
        10. Winston Crite (import)

Comment

It would have been nice to see the oldtimers like Florendo Ritualo, Sr. and Danny Pribhdas in this elite cast of 10. Maybe even Manny Paner who played for the Discoverers for around 4 seasons from 1978 to 1981. Or what about Rafael "Cho" Sison, the first Great Taste player to win the ROY award in 1981? But in all honesty, they won't make that list even if we force-fit them there.

I'll limit my choices to the Top 5 instead:

5. Arnie Tuadles - the hero of the 1990 AFC finals Game 7
          4. Manny Victorino - the other hero in the 1990 AFC finals Game 7 and the pillar of strength of Great Taste from 1981 to 1987 and again in 1990 to 1991
          3. Abe King - became the league's top defensive player during his halcyon days with the Coffeemakers
          2. Allan Caidic - one of the most prolific and gifted shooters of all time
          1. Ricardo Brown - responsible for giving GTC 4 titles in two seasons from 1984 to 1985

Comment

Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
            It would have been nice to see the oldtimers like Florendo Ritualo, Sr. and Danny Pribhdas in this elite cast of 10. Maybe even Manny Paner who played for the Discoverers for around 4 seasons from 1978 to 1981. Or what about Rafael "Cho" Sison, the first Great Taste player to win the ROY award in 1981? But in all honesty, they won't make that list even if we force-fit them there.

I'll limit my choices to the Top 5 instead:

5. Arnie Tuadles - the hero of the 1990 AFC finals Game 7
            4. Manny Victorino - the other hero in the 1990 AFC finals Game 7 and the pillar of strength of Great Taste from 1981 to 1987 and again in 1990 to 1991
            3. Abe King - became the league's top defensive player during his halcyon days with the Coffeemakers
            2. Allan Caidic - one of the most prolific and gifted shooters of all time
            1. Ricardo Brown - responsible for giving GTC 4 titles in two seasons from 1984 to 1985
            I thought of Estoy Estrada as one who can at least make it in the top 10 Presto greats, not sure if Great Taste ever contended in the finals race during the 1970s but there was this choke in the semifinals i've read on the team during the 1980 Open with imports Jim Hearn and Lew Brown where they failed to win a single game, Estrada was deadshot from the outside.

Comment

Estoy's greatest years were with RTO from 1975 to 1977. He made it to the Mythical 5 in 1975, if I'm not mistaken, and averaged I think 16ppg for his entire career. Not bad for this pigeon-chested sweet shooter from the Visayas. When Estrada joined Toyota in 1978, he averaged close to 20 minutes per game as he had to be part of Toyota's rotation. He also had trouble with Dante Silverio at the start of the 1979 3rd Conference where he, along with Ramon Fernandez and Abe King, were suspended by Silverio for "not giving their best." He later joined Presto starting in 1980 and was a starter for the Ice Cream Makers. He was still a crack shot from the outside but he was advancing in age also that considerably slowed him down.

And yes, Presto / Great Taste was not a contender in any of the conferences from 1975 until 1982, even when they brought in top imports like Lew Massey (yes, Massey first played for Presto before hooking up with Gilbey's), Lew Brown, Dana Lewis, Darryl Smith, Nino Samuel, among others. They finally hit the mark with Norman Black in 1983. Black, by then, had already played for Tefilin in 1981 and San Miguel Beer in 1982.

Comment

How about adding Willie Generalao to the list? He was a vital cog in Presto's 1990 All-Filipino crown as the starting point guard. The 1980 Rookie of the Year also mentored that season's top rookie, Gerry Esplana.

Generalao, a product of the University of the Visayas, played the 1989 and 1990 seasons with Presto before playing his final season in 1991 with Pepsi and then retiring.
                Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
                Servinio's Blog of Sports
                Servinio's Official YouTube channel
                Servinio's Official TWITTER account
                Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

Originally posted by SinVerGuenza View Post
                  If I'm not mistaken, Abet, Don Ramon, and Manny were part of a unique situation/clause in the 80's where they could only be traded with eachother to other teams in an effort to balance the league. Hence, Guidaben and Fernandez swapped places several times (much to the chagrin of Abet).

As for my top players:

1. Ricky Brown
                  2. Allan Caidic
                  3. Manny Victorino
                  4. Arnie Tuadles
                  5. Philip Cezar
                  6. Abe King
                  7. Bogs Adornado
                  8. Joy Carpio
                  9. Willie Pearson
                  10. Winston Crite (import)
                  dude, Norman Black is head over heels better than Winston Crite, and Crite can't be better than Presto / GT's second best import ever, Michael Young, or Terrence Bailey at 3rd

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information