This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
    i could not say as the coaches need to confer with each other first. what was agreed upon only were the SINAG Pool and the supposed 16 PBA players to be named. We had initial talks about Filipino players born outside the Philippines however with other countries ready to serve their protests once they see foreign-sounding names in our line-up, it might take a backseat at the moment until we find a workaround on the before 15 years old requirement.
    isnt it that lassiter and lutz are precedents already for other fil-foreigners coz our constitution has that provision that bypass the 15year old fiba rrequiement?

Comment

Noli Eala @NoliEala

Rajko reminded me Smart Gilas incld @ChrisBanchero played vs @JLin7 and a bunch of NBA prospects in Vegas 2yrs ago. And he was terrific...

7:13 PM - 13 Feb 12 via Twitter for BlackBerry® ·
      2 years is a lot of time, lin is now a starter for an NBA ballclub while banchero in some southeast asia bball league, miles apart.

Comment

i could not say as the coaches need to confer with each other first. what was agreed upon only were the SINAG Pool and the supposed 16 PBA players to be named. We had initial talks about Filipino players born outside the Philippines however with other countries ready to serve their protests once they see foreign-sounding names in our line-up, it might take a backseat at the moment until we find a workaround on the before 15 years old requirement.
        what about the workaround we did to lassiter and lutz? when did that constraint took effect? is it after the lutz-lassiter issue or it was already there before?
        The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

Noli Eala @NoliEala

Rajko reminded me Smart Gilas incld @ChrisBanchero played vs @JLin7 and a bunch of NBA prospects in Vegas 2yrs ago. And he was terrific...

7:13 PM - 13 Feb 12 via Twitter for BlackBerry® ·
          jeremy lin,lance stephenson,edgar sosa = USNCAA div1 college stars.

Banchero scored 22pts(4rebs? 2 assts?).
          Greg"greggyboi/greggyman/greggymon" Slaughter had a double double in that camp too.

But lets not forget, banchero got injured january 2011. and had only played in ABL-SMB's preseason/practice games and he's not yet fully healed.
          So i believe he needs some catching up to do.
          And Lin improved a lot. hopefully banchero catches up.

anyway since it looks like budget is a concern for our national team, it might not be formed with the best possible players,preparations,etc.
          But would be limited to and maximized according to the limited budget.
          So I'm wondering why SBP isnt finding sponsors or small sponsors.
          Dont get me wrong, MVP is rich and it would be hard to find additional sponsors i know, but is SBP trying to solve this issue?
          Is there really no solution?
          Have they tried knocking on SMC's doors? how about the other rich guys? SM? or whoever.
          or is this a business move?
          Should it be limited to only one sponsor?

Comment

• Originally posted by swish#20 View Post
            isnt it that lassiter and lutz are precedents already for other fil-foreigners coz our constitution has that provision that bypass the 15year old fiba rrequiement?
            Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
            what about the workaround we did to lassiter and lutz? when did that constraint took effect? is it after the lutz-lassiter issue or it was already there before?
            nope honestly those cases were different, we got thru more because of our Political connection in FIBA, in other words "pinalusot lang tayo kasi nangbraso tayu". And we expect we would not get-away that easy when our people get questioned again.

Hagop that time did not expect we'll play the political game and bypass FIBA-Asia and go straight to FIBA Headquarters in Switzerland.
            LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
            Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
            THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by weward View Post
              anyway since it looks like budget is a concern for our national team, it might not be formed with the best possible players,preparations,etc.
              Dont get me wrong, MVP is rich and it would be hard to find additional sponsors i know, but is SBP trying to solve this issue?
              Have they tried knocking on SMC's doors? how about the other rich guys? SM? or whoever.
              yeah i'd like to know as well. in racing/cycling the shirts are studded with at least 5 sponsors.

Comment

nope honestly those cases were different, we got thru more because of our Political connection in FIBA, in other words "pinalusot lang tayo kasi nangbraso tayu". And we expect we would not get-away that easy when our people get questioned again.
                you know even if this is a setback for us in getting fil-foreigners to play for the flag, i find it fair to all countries to have that requirement. this also means we got to work more on our system, our scouting and grassroots development.

Comment

• There isn't much to gain playing in low-level competition

Originally posted by nardy View Post
                  Five overseas meets up for Smart Gilas 2

By June Navarro
                  Philippine Daily Inquirer 12:08 am | Tuesday, February 14th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines—Five international tournaments have been scheduled for the national team Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas is preparing for the 2013 Fiba Asia Championship, which stakes three slots in the Fiba World Championship two years from now in Spain.

The composition of what will be known as Smart Gilas Pilipinas 2 will be announced after the national coach is chosen late next month from among Talk ‘N Text coach Chot Reyes, Meralco’s Ryan Gregorio, Ateneo’s Norman Black and Meralco consultant Jong Uichico.

The core of the team will come from Sinag Pilipinas, which bagged the Southeast Asian Games gold in Indonesia last year, with the rest coming from a 16-man pool offered by the Philippine Basketball Association that may include former Smart Gilas 1 mainstays.

Smart Gilas operations manager Butch Antonio announced these details yesterday after a recent meeting with the pool of coaches.

“We’re fixing the details of the program before we present them to MVP (SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan) and the rest of the Smart Gilas management team,” said Antonio.

Among the standouts of the Smart Gilas 1 were naturalized player Marcus Douthit, JV Casio, Chris Lutz, Marcio Lassiter and Mac Baracael.

First up for the Nationals is the Southeast Asian Basketball Association tournament in April, which is the qualifier for the Fiba Asia Champions Cup in June in Lebanon.

Another Seaba tournament will be in the schedule of Smart Gilas 2 a month after the Champions Cup, where the winner advances to the Fiba Asia Stankovic Cup in Tokyo in September.

Antonio said Smart Gilas 2 will also see action in the William Jones Cup in Taipei a month before the Stankovic Cup, where some of the countries set to compete in the 2013 Asian championship are expected to show up.

Meanwhile, PBA commissioner Chito Salud and Coca-Cola Bottlers Inc. chair-CEO William Schultz met yesterday at the PBA office and discussed the rumored sale of the beverage company’s franchise to San Miguel Corp.

Salud said he would first notify the PBA board of governors of what happened during the meeting before revealing details to the media.
                  Well it's good to hear that SBP is planning to give Gilas-2 some international tournament exposure as early as possible. This year's edition of FIBA-Asia Champion's Cup, the Jones Cup & the Stankovic Cup are tournaments that Gilas can gain good exposure & can elevate the team's competitiveness & familiarity w/ d international style of play. While the SEABA tournaments are requisites for Gilas-2 to to qualify for this year's Champion's Cup & Stankovic Cup, I believe our basketball leaders should not put much weight on Gilas-2's participation in these SEABA tournaments as far as the National team's preparation for next year's FIBA-Asia Men's Championship is concerned. We simply can't use these SEABA tournaments as a training ground for Gilas-2 w/c we expect to face tough oppositions in 2013 FIBA-asia. What is there to gain in a low-level tournament? Let's face it, the level of basketball in South East Asia is still several notches below from the level of Asian powerhouses. Playing these mediocre South East Asian countries & be able to dominate the SEABA tournament might give our team false sense of security. The real battlefield for our Gilas-2 boys is not South East Asia but tournaments where the "best" basketball countries in asia play.

Gilas-2 had to play in SEABA only becoz it's a qualifying tournament for tougher Asian tournaments. Let's not use SEABA as a training ground nor should we use it to gauge our Smart Gilas-2 team.
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                    Well it's good to hear that SBP is planning to give Gilas-2 some international tournament exposure as early as possible. This year's edition of FIBA-Asia Champion's Cup, the Jones Cup & the Stankovic Cup are tournaments that Gilas can gain good exposure & can elevate the team's competitiveness & familiarity w/ d international style of play. While the SEABA tournaments are requisites for Gilas-2 to to qualify for this year's Champion's Cup & Stankovic Cup, I believe our basketball leaders should not put much weight on Gilas-2's participation in these SEABA tournaments as far as the National team's preparation for next year's FIBA-Asia Men's Championship is concerned. We simply can't use these SEABA tournaments as a training ground for Gilas-2 w/c we expect to face tough oppositions in 2013 FIBA-asia. What is there to gain in a low-level tournament? Let's face it, the level of basketball in South East Asia is still several notches below from the level of Asian powerhouses. Playing these mediocre South East Asian countries & be able to dominate the SEABA tournament might give our team false sense of security. The real battlefield for our Gilas-2 boys is not South East Asia but tournaments where the "best" basketball countries in asia play.

Gilas-2 had to play in SEABA only becoz it's a qualifying tournament for tougher Asian tournaments. Let's not use SEABA as a training ground nor should we use it to gauge our Smart Gilas-2 team.

That's what i like giving our players more international exposure..
                    sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

• Originally posted by weward View Post
                      jeremy lin,lance stephenson,edgar sosa = USNCAA div1 college stars.

Banchero scored 22pts(4rebs? 2 assts?).
                      Greg"greggyboi/greggyman/greggymon" Slaughter had a double double in that camp too.

But lets not forget, banchero got injured january 2011. and had only played in ABL-SMB's preseason/practice games and he's not yet fully healed.
                      So i believe he needs some catching up to do.
                      And Lin improved a lot. hopefully banchero catches up.

its really difficult to find sponsors for sports events and teams these days. Careline, Nokia, Energen and Discovery Suites had already indicated that they would no longer continue sponsoring our National Teams. At the last SEA Games, if MVP did not step-up and shoulder the expenses more than half of the Philippine delegation to Jakarta would have failed to participate ..... aside from the private sector even the government is streamlining their support as now they would just support athletes identified as world-beaters. Look at the D-League despite finishing an unexpected 2nd place in the last conference, FREEGO is leaving the league, same thing with PC Gilmore.

Business must probably really that bad as even my nephews are having a hard time soliciting sponsors for their graduation yearbook. However we are not alone, a number of countries are having financial problems. http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...0615/arti.html

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                      THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Hagop that time did not expect we'll play the political game and bypass FIBA-Asia and go straight to FIBA Headquarters in Switzerland.
                        I don't think Lutz & Lassiter were allowed by FIBA in last year's FIBA-Asia tournament becoz of MVP's political conection in FIBA, FIBA Sec. general Patrick Bauman in partcular. I believe it was a question of rules on citizenship that Hagop has misinterpreted w/c prevented Lutz & Lassiter from playing in Gilas' 1st 3 games until that intervention by Bauman. I had followed that development last September when Lassiter & Lutz were barred from playing in some games due to that citizenship issue. If my memory serves me well, I think Hagop's basis for disallowing LUtz & Lassiter to suit up was the FIBA rule w/c requires a half-breed or a player w/ dual citizenship to secure a passport of the country that he represents before he reaches the age of 15. Hagop however missed a certain provision of a FIBA rule ( I forgot the details) w/c would exempt both Lassiter & Lutz from that "secure a passport before age 15" FIBA rule. Besides, Lutz & Lassiter are recognized by the Philippine Constitution as Filipino citizens & FIBA acknowledges the Philippine Constitution as far as citizenship issues involving Philippine national team players are concerned. Sec. Patrick Bauman knew that whatever resolution he would make to resolve that citizenship issue of Lutz & Lassiter, would be precedent-setting. Imagine how many half-breed or dual citizenship basketball players around the world would be barred from playing w/ the countries that they like to represent if that "secure a passport before age 15" FIBA-rule is strictly implemented.
                        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

its really difficult to find sponsors for sports events and teams these days. Careline, Nokia, Energen and Discovery Suites had already indicated that they would no longer continue sponsoring our National Teams. At the last SEA Games, if MVP did not step-up and shoulder the expenses more than half of the Philippine delegation to Jakarta would have failed to participate ..... aside from the private sector even the government is streamlining their support as now they would just support athletes identified as world-beaters. Look at the D-League despite finishing an unexpected 2nd place in the last conference, FREEGO is leaving the league, same thing with PC Gilmore.

Business must probably really that bad as even my nephews are having a hard time soliciting sponsors for their graduation yearbook. However we are not alone, a number of countries are having financial problems. http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...0615/arti.html

I Agree with you Sir Nardy that it is difficult to find sponsors
                          specially this days Economic crisis is the cause of
                          the companies to back out sponsoring sports teams or events
                          sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

• Originally posted by swish#20 View Post
                            you know even if this is a setback for us in getting fil-foreigners to play for the flag, i find it fair to all countries to have that requirement. this also means we got to work more on our system, our scouting and grassroots development.
                            well times has changed .... money is really a problem these days. before a grade school intramural team could easily get sponsors to pay for their uniforms, nowadays you have approached 10 companies and still you cannot find someone to shoulder the team's refreshment needs.
                            Last edited by nardy; 02-14-2012, 05:51 AM.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                            THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Quetion nardy, does bachero have th paperes to prove he got his citizenship prior to 16th?
                              I see to critical things for preperations. 1 getting parks, ravena, slaugters the needed top level exposure. These guys have to grow n learn fast. And 2nd getting the availabiklity of a few pba players (6) . This early if they can commit to the champs.jones and stakovic cup is really critical
                              NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                              https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                                I don't think Lutz & Lassiter were allowed by FIBA in last year's FIBA-Asia tournament becoz of MVP's political conection in FIBA, FIBA Sec. general Patrick Bauman in partcular. I believe it was a question of rules on citizenship that Hagop has misinterpreted w/c prevented Lutz & Lassiter from playing in Gilas' 1st 3 games until that intervention by Bauman. I had followed that development last September when Lassiter & Lutz were barred from playing in some games due to that citizenship issue. If my memory serves me well, I think Hagop's basis for disallowing LUtz & Lassiter to suit up was the FIBA rule w/c requires a half-breed or a player w/ dual citizenship to secure a passport of the country that he represents before he reaches the age of 15. Hagop however missed a certain provision of a FIBA rule ( I forgot the details) w/c would exempt both Lassiter & Lutz from that "secure a passport before age 15" FIBA rule. Besides, Lutz & Lassiter are recognized by the Philippine Constitution as Filipino citizens & FIBA acknowledges the Philippine Constitution as far as citizenship issues involving Philippine national team players are concerned. Sec. Patrick Bauman knew that whatever resolution he would make to resolve that citizenship issue of Lutz & Lassiter, would be precedent-setting. Imagine how many half-breed or dual citizenship basketball players around the world would be barred from playing w/ the countries that they like to represent if that "secure a passport before age 15" FIBA-rule is strictly implemented.
                                actually its not MVP but the closeness of Noli Eala and Moying Martelino had established with the higher-ups of FIBA at Switzerland.

that is what I am saying we were now advised by FIBA-Asia that they'll strictly implement that Filipinos born outside the Philippines secure a passport before age 15.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                                THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information