No announcement yet.

Gay Basketball / Gay Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please explain why there is a need for gay sports clubs/competitions etc? There are plenty of gays ( in and out of closet) in all sports so whats the point? Being gay has no effect on your abilities . Having Gay sports is like having "Special Olymipics" for disabled persons (which does effect their abilities).
    30 years in the Yad

Comment

Originally posted by Farfiman View Post
      Can someone please explain why there is a need for gay sports clubs/competitions etc? There are plenty of gays ( in and out of closet) in all sports so whats the point? Being gay has no effect on your abilities . Having Gay sports is like having "Special Olymipics" for disabled persons (which does effect their abilities).
      I agree with you, there is be no need and the abilities are the same of a heterossexual os course. But in most sports, coming out as gay is problematic, so I actually understand and don't blame those who organise all-gay competitions.
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

I agree with you, there is be no need and the abilities are the same of a heterossexual os course. But in most sports, coming out as gay is problematic, so I actually understand and don't blame those who organise all-gay competitions.
        I have never been near an All-Gay Competition or All-Gay League and thus my curiosity on how do these organizations or leagues verify that someone is gay; hence eligible to play.
        Sacramento Kings
        HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
          I have never been near an All-Gay Competition or All-Gay League and thus my curiosity on how do these organizations or leagues verify that someone is gay; hence eligible to play.
          Good question. But I imagine they count on the fact that nobody would say they are gay ,even if they are not, just to be in the sport.
          30 years in the Yad

Comment

Good question. But I imagine they count on the fact that nobody would say they are gay ,even if they are not, just to be in the sport.
            Good point. It would be a social blunder if someone not gay decided to suit up for a team wanting to "cheat" to win the competition by acquiring that player and have that player pretend to be gay.
            Sacramento Kings

Comment

Well I've heard some football coaches saying that if they find out some player is gay, they'll dismiss him, so they will actually have to lie or be quiet about it. I suppose the same could happen in all-gay competitions, just the other way around. Anyway, coming out as gay in most societies has more cons than pros, so I highly doubt anyone would say they're gay just to make an all-gay competition and cheat.
              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
              Artificial Nature

Comment

George Washington College's Transgender player to quit women's team

George Washington's Transgender player, Kye Allums will no longer comeback for his senior season for the Women's Basketball team to focus on academics.

CBS Sports features live scoring, news, stats, and player info for NFL football, MLB baseball, NBA basketball, NHL hockey, college basketball and football.
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Barkley: I had gay teammates in the NBA

Charles Barkley was interviewed in a radio station and among the questions where the recent admittance of bieng gay by Phoenix Suns Executive Rick Welts and former Villanova cager Will Sheridan. Barkley said that he had gay teammates back when he was still in the NBA, but did not disclose names.

Barkley: ‘I had gay teammates.’

Kind of makes one wonder who.

Last edited by CKR13; 05-20-2011, 09:57 AM.
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

Villanova's Will Sheridan who came out this week. Here is ESPN interview

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

--

Will Sheridan is also a recording artist signed with Royal Advisor Records. Here is a music video by him "Welcome to the Jungle"

http://royaladvisorrecords.comOfficial music video for Will Sheridan - "Welcome to the Jungle" (Prod. by DJ Morsy) off the NGOMA EP on Royal Advisor Records....

He has a new release also entitled "302"

"302"Produced by DJ Steelforce2nd Video Single from Will SheridanDirected by Will SheridanProduction by Uzari ImagesEdited by Ursula Mann for Bang Bang NYCww...

Comment

After Kobe Brant's anti-gay slur, now its the turn of Joakim Noah to utter anti-gay slurs.

The latest and best Lgbt news and articles from the award-winning team at Salon.com. Read more Lgbt breaking news, in-depth reporting and criticism.

He was fined heavily as Kobe was. NBA Commissioner David Stern promptly called his "FU faggot" remark "offensive and inexcusable." But he didn't stop there. He added, "While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated. Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000. Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society."

Noah was fined another $50,000.

Comment

Grant Hill, one of my absolute favorites on the NBA and other NBA players have cooperated on a PSA "Think B4 You Speak" of how its not cool to use ant-gay slur calling a guy gay or a "faggot" on the court.

Here is the ad:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here is a good "behind the scenes" reportage of why and how the ad was made:

Get a behind the scenes look at the Ad Council and GLSEN's latest Think B4 You Speak PSA with NBA players Grant Hill and Jared Dudley.CONNECT WITH GLSEN!:htt...

Grant Hill is prominently featured and gave his comments in the "behind the scenes" as well.

Here's an interview with Grant Hill:

NBA player Grant Hill talks about why he and other NBA stars taped a PSA addressing the use of anti-gay language.

The main website for the campaign:

Last edited by worldbasketball; 06-21-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I don't think there is a need for a gay "professional" league. Just another reason for people to needlessly seperate themselves. I've heard of nude basketball leagues too. Someone should start a thread for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Raze Lupin View Post
                            I don't think there is a need for a gay "professional" league. Just another reason for people to needlessly seperate themselves. I've heard of nude basketball leagues too. Someone should start a thread for that.
                            You are right about professional leagues of course. But then we do need gay leagues at local levels because of rampant homophobia. If somebody truly loves basketball, but every time he goes on court, people start degrading him, and his teammates ostracize him, and the coach discriminates against his inclusion, and even if included doesn't give him enough chances or play time, what choice does that basketball player have if there are no gay leagues, quit basketball? What can he do if ethnic based or church-based teams don't want him.

Gay basketball leagues give one a chance to practice basketball without worrying about homophobia and keeps him in the sport.

The simple existence of a league will not only give opportunity to existing players, but will be an incentive to new players to join in to the game now that they have a secure environment to practice it.

Incidentally gay basketball leagues are very open about accepting non-gay players provided the players who apply are gay-friendly and do not shy off from mixing with gays and don't come with a prejudice or a grudge.

As for annual gay sports events that include basketball, why not? This only encourages active clubs being created in a bid to take part in these international events.

Incidentally I know about a gay basketball team in London, England that played in general non-gay basketball league. I think this was a first in which a gay team was in a competitive non-gay league. They were called the "London Cruisers", a fine team with a truly impressive level of play.

Check their website, club history, as the program started in 1996, so at Least 12 years of activity until 2008, the last news item there on the site. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for long time now (since 2008), and I don't know if the program is still going on and its a shame if it stopped since they were successful. Even the "Gay Times" featured two of their players on one of its covers in 2007.

Here is a team photo from 2007

Last edited by worldbasketball; 06-22-2011, 06:10 AM.

Comment

The San Francisco Gay Basketball Association has a good website and is very active. They play in the Castro Basketball League.

Photo of 2010 team:

And here is a "SF Weekly" report about them

Last edited by worldbasketball; 06-22-2011, 04:00 AM.

Comment

From time to time I like to put some basketball websites. Here is one about the Sydney Spectres, a gay and lesbian basketball club in Australia.

I particularly love the logo they use: "Basketball Everyone's Game".

I mean it says it all in one sentence.

Here'es a good report about the program that has been going around since 2011 and has two men and three women teams at various levels

The Sydney Spectres basketball club has started its summer training for what could shape up to be one of the group’s finest years, club president Andrew Bondini told Sydney Star ...

Last edited by worldbasketball; 06-26-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information