2010 PBA Slamdunk Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoldenStallion87 View Post
    JC Intal's highlight dunks are not very convincing. He has very low elevation and is not a power dunker. Many years back, smaller guys like Paul Alvarez and Samboy Lim can out jump him any day. For me, full blooded Filipinos, who have shown their prowess in dunking are Vergel Menesses, Paul Alvarez, Samboy Lim, Nelson Asaytono and Benjie Paras. Is Nino Canaleta a full blood Pinoy? If yes add him to my list.
    During those days, pro-grip (sticky substance) was allowed..so they had a stronger grip over the ball... just my thought though
    It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
    I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

jc intal is just a high leaper. that's all. lol
      I'm back. Don't ask why. Just be glad.

Comment

If Japeth chose to play in the PBA, I would bet my money on him to win this contest.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenStallion87 View Post
          JC Intal's highlight dunks are not very convincing. He has very low elevation and is not a power dunker. Many years back, smaller guys like Paul Alvarez and Samboy Lim can out jump him any day. For me, full blooded Filipinos, who have shown their prowess in dunking are Vergel Menesses, Paul Alvarez, Samboy Lim, Nelson Asaytono and Benjie Paras. Is Nino Canaleta a full blood Pinoy? If yes add him to my list.
          Yes!.KG is pure pinoy..

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew81 View Post
            Yes!.KG is pure pinoy..
            KG Canaleta's biological father is an African American just like Jason Castro Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew81 View Post
              Yes!.KG is pure pinoy..
              well, "pure pinoy" is almost extinct...

we are a race of mixed ethnicities...

Comment

Originally posted by grahamtelly View Post
                KG Canaleta's biological father is an African American just like Jason Castro Williams.
                Willie Miller
                Gabby Espinas
                Calvin Abueva, and Marvin Hayes ( NCAA and PBL)
                Mark Lopez ( PBL and UAAP)

Comment

Originally posted by manu_bol View Post
                  well, "pure pinoy" is almost extinct...

we are a race of mixed ethnicities...
                  Unless you are a member of the Dumagat, the Iskaya, Yakan, T'Boli, or any other indigenous peoples

Which is why I find it funny that a few people here say that playing basketball is part of restoring "brown pride", whatever it means. My skin color is brown, yes, but I have a bit of Chinese and Basque running in my veins. Does that make me less Pinoy? Does that mean that we should stop supporting Smart Gilas because the coach is a Serbian, we have players with surnames like Tiu, Ababou, and Slaughter, and we are actively seeking out a foreign player to naturalize?

Wala lang. Just thinking out loud
                  Keep running, big boy.

Comment

shouldn't this thread be renamed to PBA-Allstar Week?

Anwyay, We'll have the Sophies vs Rookies, Skills Challenge, The all-star game and the anticipated slam dunk(hope it's not going to be slum dunk) contest.

Comment

2010 PBA Slamdunk Contest

Thanks to Knifewalker8 and waltz1211 for uploading the videos.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

KG Canaleta' Amazing Dunk

CANALETA REGAINS SLAM DUNK TITLE

Fri, 04/23/2010 - 23:58

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY. – The old slam-dunk champ reclaimed his crown, beating top-class rivals and a pretender.

B-Meg Derby Ace’s KG Canaleta was back on his old haunts, cheered on by peers and foes in winning the highly competitive 2010 PBA All-Star slam dunk competition at the Puerto Princesa Coliseum here.

Grace prevailed over power as Canaleta beat out Sta. Lucia’s Kelly Williams to reclaim the crown he lost to Rain or Shine’s Gabe Norwood in Manila last year.

Norwood took a shot at back-to-back championships but failed to make it past the elimination round, getting poor scores on his off-timing executions.

Also out after the eliminations was former PBL slam dunk champion JC Intal.

Derby Ace rookie Rico Maierhofer proved to be just a pretender but he was a welcome sight with his game antics.

Missed was Jarred Dillinger who opted out to concentrate on the Obstacle Challenge and the Rookies-Sophomores Bitz Game. The Talk ‘N Text Fil-Am forward provided fun in the competition last year.

“Meaningful ito, kasi talagang ang lakas ng competition,” said Canaleta, who the event thrice from 2005 to 2007.

The 6-foot-4 forward out of University of the East soared past three North All-Star ball boys and elegantly finished it with a right-handed dunk to beat Williams in a slam-off.

He did practically the same routine in two earlier rounds – the first over one man then the second over two men.

“Grabe ang pressure na ibinigay sa akin ni Kelly. Hindi na ako makapag-isip ng gagawin so pinahaba ko na lang ang tinalunan ko. Good thing nagustuhan ng tao at ng mga judges,” said Canaleta, now a four-time slam dunk king in the event where no one else has won more than two.

Will he go for a fifth championship next year? He said: “Mahirap mag-salita. Siguro three-point shootout naman.”

Canaleta barely topped the preliminary round with 95 points to Williams’ 94.

And when Canelata thought he had the championship in the bag with a perfect 50 in the first round of the finale, Williams came to force the slam-off with his own 50 drawn on an off-the-board thunderous two-handed reverse throw-down.

The Sta. Lucia ace then executed another two-hander on a 360-degree turn for 45 points.

On his turn, Canaleta ran from midcourt, soaring high to perform between-the-legs dunk that drew mild response from the crowd.

That prompted Canaleta to opt for a re-dunk.

He summoned three ball boys from the sideline and promptly got the crowd up on their feet.

Doing a perfect execution, Canaleta got another perfect score for the championship cheered on by the highly appreciative crowd in the venue. (SB)

Comment

Originally posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
                        shouldn't this thread be renamed to PBA-Allstar Week?

Anwyay, We'll have the Sophies vs Rookies, Skills Challenge, The all-star game and the anticipated slam dunk(hope it's not going to be slum dunk) contest.
                        I agree. I hope the moderator would edit the title of the thread.

2010 PBA All Star Results.

Mark Macapagal - 3 points shoot out champion
                        Jonas Villanueva - Obstacle Challenge
                        Slamdunk Champion - KG Canaleta

Sophomores defeated the Rookie, 106-87.

MVP: Jared Dillinger - 18 points

Comment

I think KWill should have been the deserving slam dunk champion. KG's dunks where he scored 50 were exactly identical. The only difference is he jump on 1, 2 and 3 ball balls respectively on those three dunks. And he has done those dunks in previous contests where he won the competition. Don't get me wrong that dunk he kept on repeating is a good one. I just don't see any variety and creativity in KG's dunk unlike KWill. It is more difficult to come up with something new to offer in a slam dunk. If KG joins the slam dunk again and keeps repeating his one or two great dunks does he deserve to win again? His best dunks was the one he did last where he practically did it three times with just a little tweaks on the succeeding rounds and the free throw dunk. Either way it was a great show.=) I don't know but I think KWill showed more creativity and power in his dunks.
                          Last edited by kangaroo; 04-24-2010, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kangaroo View Post
                            I think KWill should have been the deserving slam dunk champion. KG's dunks where he scored 50 were exactly identical. The only difference is on the 2nd and 3rd dunks he leaped over one and three ball boys respectively. And he has done those dunks in previous contests where he won the competition. Don't get me wrong that dunk he kept on repeating is a good one. I just don't see any variety and creativity in KG's dunk unlike KWill. It is more difficult to come up with something new to offer in a slam dunk. If KG joins the slam dunk again and keeps repeating his one or two great dunks does he deserve to win again? His best dunks was the one he did last where he practically did it three times with just a little tweaks on the succeeding rounds and the free throw dunk. Either way it was a great show.=) I don't know but I think KWill showed more creativity and power in his dunks.
                            it was just grace over power. and if you watched kwill's slam dunk contest 2 years ago in the PBA and the one he did for eugene tejada's charity game, you'd also see the same dunks.

anyway, the people of palawan were the winners in the slam dunk contest.

Comment

but come on, three identical dunks in one competition and besides KG has done those dunks in all most all slam dunk competition he is in specially in those three peat he has won previously.. its like dunking on the free throw line for three times, regardless of whether you have ball boys under the rim its basically the same. i guess this one is one of the things where either of the two deserves to the slam dunk king plum.

Comment

true, KG has done those dunks since his rookie year at UE. in fact that dunk, his signature dunk, was done by nelson asaytono in 1990.

true, K-Will has also done those dunks before.

true, Gabe was not serious in competing last night.

true, all dunks have been repeated.

they just need to be creative, more creative at that. more gimmicks would have helped.
                                I'm back. Don't ask why. Just be glad.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information