Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA rules are profit-driven and it's only right that FIBA who serves as the international authority in basketball should be a separate entity. If anything, it's more appropriate for the PBA to be the one to adopt NBA rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
      Practically speaking, Greg and Lassiter should be there instead of Jap and JF. But they are close to untouchable since theyve been Gilas for a long time. JF also is the face of the league.
      Which sadly, also summarizes the state of Philippine basketball.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
        He is as effective as han dejun of china..
        Exactly...JF is the Han deJun of Gilas. Massive imposing presence inside on offense but flat footed on defense.

Comment

• Quite unfair to JF since he was bothered by injury. Imagine being fielded in a knockout game and it showed, missed lay ups and silly fouls. Definitely no rhythm at all.

Kindly take a look at JF in FIBA Worlds and last OQT and that people is how Chot and Tab utilized a healthy JF. That is elite opposition and I could say a couple of levels up than Korea.

I say we still need JF until SBP can find a better replacement.

We are too reactive here. I maybe guilty of this also. Where are the people clamoring that CBC is better fit for Gilas than Troy? Where is CBC when we needed shooting against Korea? I could say Troy could be better with his length he could probably bother those Korean shooters. See my point here? CBC is good. We cannot rely on just one game to judge a player's capability and also trying to look down on a player who is not even on the line up.

Another point here Whether it's Troy or CBC the coach will know how to utilized each players strength.

I just watched earlier today Lebanon and Korea and Korea isn't running anything complicated on offense and defense. Lebanon played them tough on D and was wise to Pick and Roll, Pick and Pop, cuts, ball screens, screen on top of key for the bigman to go to the paint and get a pass.( See Oh Se Keun) and I see this more than a couple of times, player set a screen at the perimeter to make way for a player to go to the paint and if there is no option to pass, the screener runs to the 3 point line to receive a pasd. They run these all the time kaya nahilo na players natin.

Khatib attack the paint ( which our team did also in the 1st quarter)and somehow got under the skin of #13 player of Korea ( Lim probably but not sure ). He pushed Khatib and gets a T or a foul for it and this Korean player missed a couple of 3's probably because of loss on concentration. This is something that Ping and RDO can do and we miss it badly in this game and Korea are missing their 3's here and I will give credit to Lebanon's defense.

Commentator's views on South Korea: They are 1 dimensional probably he meant they got no real inside presence ( Ratliffe is waiting to fix that ) but for me they are still formidable because of their team play and shooting.

I am not raising my hope much in the home and away this November unless the PBA really helps Gilas. Taiwan and Japan are motivated more than ever to beat us and Korea showed them how it is done.

Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
          Exactly...JF is the Han deJun of Gilas. Massive imposing presence inside on offense but flat footed on defense.

Originally posted by reamily View Post
          He is as effective as han dejun of china..

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown Bones View Post
            Quite unfair to JF since he was bothered by injury. Imagine being fielded in a knockout game and it showed, missed lay ups and silly fouls. Definitely no rhythm at all.

Kindly take a look at JF in FIBA Worlds and last OQT and that people is how Chot and Tab utilized a healthy JF. That is elite opposition and I could say a couple of levels up than Korea.

I say we still need JF until SBP can find a better replacement.

We are too reactive here. I maybe guilty of this also. Where are the people clamoring that CBC is better fit for Gilas than Troy? Where is CBC when we needed shooting against Korea? I could say Troy could be better with his length he could probably bother those Korean shooters. See my point here? CBC is good. We cannot rely on just one game to judge a player's capability and also trying to look down on a player who is not even on the line up.

Another point here Whether it's Troy or CBC the coach will know how to utilized each players strength.

I just watched earlier today Lebanon and Korea and Korea isn't running anything complicated on offense and defense. Lebanon played them tough on D and was wise to Pick and Roll, Pick and Pop, cuts, ball screens, screen on top of key for the bigman to go to the paint and get a pass.( See Oh Se Keun) and I see this more than a couple of times, player set a screen at the perimeter to make way for a player to go to the paint and if there is no option to pass, the screener runs to the 3 point line to receive a pasd. They run these all the time kaya nahilo na players natin.

Khatib attack the paint ( which our team did also in the 1st quarter)and somehow got under the skin of #13 player of Korea ( Lim probably but not sure ). He pushed Khatib and gets a T or a foul for it and this Korean player missed a couple of 3's probably because of loss on concentration. This is something that Ping and RDO can do and we miss it badly in this game and Korea are missing their 3's here and I will give credit to Lebanon's defense.

Commentator's views on South Korea: They are 1 dimensional probably he meant they got no real inside presence ( Ratliffe is waiting to fix that ) but for me they are still formidable because of their team play and shooting.

I am not raising my hope much in the home and away this November unless the PBA really helps Gilas. Taiwan and Japan are motivated more than ever to beat us and Korea showed them how it is done.
            thats why it hurts most beaten by a non elite team, beaten by a kontrapelo...Our real potential isnt gauged han de jun is 12 10 guy in china for good 20 mins same for fajardo in his full form i think it's a much better than blatche having 25 per 36 minutes..

For record junkies how is the record of Philippine national team against japan at Home, I think no Philippine team even a PBA one won in Qatar(but Yaseem Musa era there is over)..This is to manage everyones expectations..

Home and Away is a watered down thing, although since Asai has least nba euroleague players it has the less impact, but its different dynamic, teams DO perform better at home..
            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Will the current avian virus affect the sponsorship of Gilas? Just saying, sports and business are very related nowadays!

Comment

• Originally posted by trig View Post
                For me, Fajardo has the skill, size and strength to be effective in FIBA vs certain teams. He can score in the post, he's a very good rebounder, he decent in running hard and early seals. The problem is, he's totally the opposite of what DDO needs from a player. Its just a totally bad fit. If you won't run any special sets for him, might as well not put him on the lineup. You also need a defensive scheme that will hide him vs quicker bigs.

In a right situation, I can see him play 15mins, score some points, grab some boards and have the opposing big in foul trouble. Then our guards can attack the rim easier.
                Cant really say as we havent seen him go toe to toe with any of the Asian bigs.....so far, he isnt even considered to be one of the top 5 Asian bigs in any FIBA Asian competition

Comment

• During this tournament for me if we are gonna put the best 12 lineup my lock in are

castro romeo and aguilar

the rest needs to be evaluated.

Sorry but im dissapointed with Abueva`s performance.

Yes DDO is our main strategy but is it working??? We need a bit of physicality from players.

Gilas 2.0 is my ideal team pattern the players to them.

Please adjust in the Home and Away.

Laban Pilipinas!!! Proud supporter here.

Comment

• after the the 1st game abueva angas is gone nag pigil na e. but yea he was a dissapointment on this tournament.

Comment

• Coach- Tab Baldwin
                      *Pringle, Thompson, Tenorio
                      Lassiter, Wright
                      Norwood, Ramos, *Devance
                      Edu/Blatche/ CS
                      Fajardo, Aguilar, *Slaughter
                      *- These players have strong case to play as locals
                      Last edited by fthesaint; 08-19-2017, 09:44 PM.
                      " Bayan Muna Bago ang Sarili "

Comment

• Originally posted by fthesaint View Post
                        Coach- Tab Baldwin
                        *Pringle, Thompson, Tenorio
                        Lassiter, Wright
                        Norwood, Ramos, *Devance
                        Edu/Blatche/ CS
                        Fajardo, Aguilar, *Slaughter
                        *- These players have strong case to play as locals
                        indeed, they already established their link in the philippines by playing in pba.

as provided by fiba, if the player fails to secure a passport upon the age of 16, other factors will be looked into. one of which is the years of playing with the domestic league.
                        Attack
                        defend
                        Unite

Comment

• This tournament showed that Abueva, talented as he is, is not built for a structured system. He's hella talented, but his strengths will only show if you give him free will to do anything he wants. At a tournament like this when he's nowhere near the conversation for the best players, we can't afford to do that. Now we know why he wasn't included by Tab.

Anyone else saw his troll job on the ref at the end of the Lebanon game though? He extended his hand as if to shake the hand of the ref only to pull it away when the ref extended his hand.
                          Hello Lipa: Lipa City's First and Biggest Lifestyle Blog

Comment

• I think they should have never replaced coach Tab in the first place, I'm sure he still have a lot of tricks up his sleeves, I don't understand why the SBP decided to replace him as Gilas coach, who ever made that decision should go jump in the lake. Chot Reyes, don't get me wrong is a good coach and has championship trophies to validate that, but he should step down and give coach Tab another chance and just be an assistant this time,"sit down Chot". KIA KAHA GILAS PILIPINAS!

Comment

• No need to elaborate further .. the results over 10years speak for itself.

With a naturalize player (Andray/ marcus) top 4 in Asia- 2011, 2013, 2015
                              Without a naturalize player- out of top 6- 2007, 2011(8th) , 2017 (7th or 8th)

Please don't use lack of preperation as an excuse, that's a problem every team needs to deal with. Many teams have had poor preperation as well in previous FIBA Asia's , which effected their results.

Where we get blineded often is when we see the brilliant moves of our guards and take that as our sense of thinking we're one of the top nations in Asia, (there is no question we have if not the best, one of the best collection of players 6' 1 and below) , unfortunately " defense", preperation and big men (however stiff looking and not our idea of skilled basketball) are significant factors in a teams basketball competitivness. In all 3 areas (defense, prep, bigs) the Philippines is obviousy a midiorcre not elite team in Asia, and much more in Asia Pacific . It is what it is , the results and the eye test speak for itself. (no analysis further needed)
                              NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                              https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• We need better coaching, I think Tab Baldwin can bring that, give him another chance," problema umiiral ang personal na agenda e, ginawang coach sa Ateneo napabayaan tuloy ang national team" trans:( very frustrating time for a Phil. basketball supporter)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information