Indian Basketball: Total Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Basketball: Total Story

I was looking through the forum and saw that there is quite a discussion on Indian basketball. So, I thought why not give in a complete detail on basketball in the country. Some of my personal exchanges with players or thoughts are mentioned in the Italics with in Brackets.

MANAGEMENT

Harish Sharma : He is SECRETARY GENERAL for the Indian basketball and also for the Middle Asia Zone. Many credit him for being instrumental in bringing the Indian basketball out of dark era, which was marked by aristocracy, favorism, rampant corruption (Though these still exist, but way lesser). Former Junior International player himself.
    LEAGUE

SENIOR PLAYERS

There have been hardly half a dozen players who keep the country going. So I have listed them, starting alphabetically:

1. Riyazuddin : A very good forward who can double up as a guard, very sharp and quick. Stood 4th Top scorer at the Commonwealth games, 2006 (Ave PPG 16.2) and also was scored quite good for the country in 2005 ABC where he averaged 17.5 PPG, 2007 Club championship was also good (This is what could get
    Vs Al rayyan (QATAR) 14 points,13 reb, 3 ast, 4 stl.
    Vs Blue Stars (LEBANON) 16 Points
    Vs Al Jalala (SYRIA) 39 Points
    But, the slip has began.

2. Talwinderjit: The youngest of the lot,23 years. Point guard of 6 feet with vertical leap of 45", very quick and plays quite good. (Thanks again to Sinobball for presenting the correct data), Was instrumental in Indian teams play at the 2004 Junior ABC, which got him the Best Point Guard for the Tournament, also won the same at USA open Basketball Championship including dunk contest. Effective scorer who can notch up a minimum of 14 points per game while maintaining a steady flow of assists and game play.(Avg at william Jones Cup 2005, 15 points). Has improved a lot over the years. Though got a brush with the NBA D-League, he missed it due to his mom's sickness. Was also Selected by the NCAA scouts, but couldn't get in due to being provided only half scholarship.

3. Trideep Rai : 25 years, 191 cm, at the 2005 Qatar ABC he average 25 PPG in the championship and won the MVP, Best 3 point Shooter, Highest Scorer and Bronze Medal at 10th Crown Prince Cup at Hatyai, (2007,Thailand). ABC (2007,Japan) Average 14 PPG.

4. Robinson: Once considered to be a dominant force in Asia though made a huge impact in Asian scenario slowly slid away from the game. 6'8" tall, started international career with the Asian School games championship 1997 in New Delhi. At the 19th Junior ABC (Calcutta, India) he got the break through he was the 3rd Highest scorer in the tournament (Though I heard he was also given some award, may be some one can confirm this?). He did dominate the 2003 and 2005 ABC with scoring some thing like 20 or so points per game.

Commonwealth Games: These are his stats at the Commonwealth games,2006 keeping in mind that he played 2 match less than others due to injury

4th Highest Rebounder Average 8 rpg

top shot blocker Average 2.2 per game

He was also the 1st Indian player to play Professional Basketball, played 2 seasons in Iran for Farash Mashad (Mohsena, can you please confirm his game standards there compared to others?) He was also selected to represent the Asian team at the Asian All Star Extravaganza at Manila (Philippines, 2000) and was runner up in Slam Dunk Contest.

But after that he developed issues with the federation, then picked up modeling along with playing basketball. Later on a 2 year ban was imposed on him. The ban was removed late last year and after which he played for India at some tournament in Kuwait, but was not as good as the old days though averaged 14 PPG and 4 RPG. Currently under rehabilitation for Knee Injury.

JUNIOR

Vishesh: Some say he can make it big in Pro league, (but personally i feel the kid's got a long way to go). Finished his 21st birthday recently, 6' 3". won the MVP at the NBA BWB camp at Delhi (India) and these is the score that i could get about the Junior ABC at Iran last year.

Vs japan 22 points

Vs Hongkong 25 points

Vs Chinese Taipei 32 points

Vs Saudi Arabia 24 points

Vs UAE 24 points

WOMEN

Geethu Anna Jose : By far THE best Female player in Asia, 23 years of age, 6' 2" tall. At the 2007 Asian Championship at Korea, these are her stats

In Six Matches

Points per Game : 32.8

Total points : 197

Minutes Per Game : 31.5

Total Rebound : 89

Rebounds Per game : 14.8

Shot Blocks per game : 4

Double Double : 4

Steals per game : 3.7
    (Source: http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/07/...icsRoundID=ALL
    )

So, in short she lead the tournament in PPG, RPG, Shot blocks, Steals, Double Double and finally She received 5 Awards for Top Scorer, Top Rebounder, Top Block shot, MVP and Most Popular Player Award..

She also has the Asian Womens record for highest score in a tournament.

She lead the Indian team scoring at the Commonwealth games, after which she signed a contract with Big V 2nd Division team (Australia), she proved to be a dominant force even in foreign league, becoming the first women player from division 2 to play in 1st division All Star game and Win the MVP. Stats for 2006 season

Geethu Anna Jose 22.8ppg, 17 RPG (Whooping isn't it? )

There is more, 2008 stats:

Awarded 2nd Division top scorer and rebounder for the season, 21.4 PPG and 14.5 RPG.

(Source

WNBL | The home page of the Women's National Basketball League, the longest running female sporting competition in Australia!

)

These are the other awards:

Division Two Women MVP Geethu Anna Jose Ringwood

Division Two Women All Star Centre Geethu Anna Jose Ringwood

2008 Awards:

League MVP

All Star Five - Centre

THE TRAGEDY

After the 2008 season, she was signed by "Dandenong Rangers" the WNBL league of Australia. So she attended the training camp, now heres the climax. Until now the federation was a silent observer to all the turn of events, but now it felt her dominance growing and prowess increasing and the federation may loose control over her and made her Indian employer, "Southern Railway" block her "NOC" (No Objection Certificate). Now she had the choice to make (I said her, Girl go back to Australia you can make to the WNBA from there, its of no use being here, but they just don't listen and later feel sorry, what can I do ). But she decided to stick with her 250$ per month job, no league except a tournament every now and then,training methodology is still primitive. What to do, they don't listen.........

Divya Singh: Is a PG, fast and accurate. Was the 8th Top scorer at the Asian Championship,2007. After which she received a offer to play for a Club in Chile, but given the high crime rate she decided to forgo it. Currently she is in USA.

INDIAN ORIGIN PLAYERS

Anish Sharda : A player of India Descent,6' 2" tall. Averaged 7 points and 4 assists per game for his Junior college where he was named to the All-Western Conference. Later on he joined University of Marys where he was
    one of the top

All time scorers with 935 points for the years 2003-05
    All time 3 point shooting leaders: 145 for 2003-05
    SINGLE SEASON 3-POINT SHOOTING LEADERS: 75 for 2004-05 and 70 for 2003-04

He later signed up with ASC Mainz in Germany Regional Leagues where in his first season he averaged 23 PPG to lead his team to the title. I don't know about the last couple of games, but last time i spoke to him he was still scoring some thing like 23 ppg. (Asia basket under his profile has listed as "Invited to the USA Olympic team Trails")

Video Link

Alley-Hoop von Mike Comick nach Anspiel von Anish Sharda beim Spiel des ASC gegen Trier

Timir Patel: 6' 10" tall, plays for a college in NCAA, these are his stats
    games :27
    MPG: 15.4
    PPG :3.0
    FG%:41.9
    3FG%:0.0
    FT% :39.1
    APG :0.2
    RPG :2.4
    BPG :0.6
    SPG : 0.2

Looking at this I don't find it impressive, a FT % of 39, thats very bad for a center and so are his rebounds. Needs to work a lot, but his 2008 season stats are quite better. Playing 12 min per game he scores 2.3 points and picks up 2.6 rebounds.

India is not quite strong in basketball but no that bad either to put him in.

Finally, I have many mails on players willing to play for India, But I would inform that the IOC (Indian Olympic Council) has made a law that players with DUAL CITIZENSHIP ARE NOT PERMITTED to represent the country in any sport. If you really want to then you to surrender the foreign passport.And don't worry I have conveyed the same to Anish.

There are bunch of other players to be named but then, hey they are distant Indians, so its just to maintain these lot.

COACH

Alexander Bucanan: He is a Serbian appointed by the FIBA to develop the game in the country. Main foucs was to make the game into a set play and bring it in line with FIBA style in Europe and Asia. Has previously coached in:
    • BC Partizan Belgrade, Junior (Serbia)
    • BC Partizan Belgrade (Serbia) Assistant Head coach
    • Yugoslavia Junior National ,Head Coach
    • BC Lavovi 063 Belgrade (Serbia)
    • BC Napredak Krusevac Head coach
    • BC Swisslion Vrsac Head coach
    • BC Zastava Kragujevac Head coach
    • BC Tamis Pancevo Head coach
    • BC Napredak Krusevac Head coach

Under him the Junior team of Yugoslavia won the European Championship twice. But rumors are heft that after the ABC in August, he would be leaving to Germany for a assignment with a club there.

INDIAN LEAGUE

The league is only for men (atleast for now), consisting of top 6 teams of the previous years National Championship. These teams would be having the following format:

1 Under 21 Player
    Maximum of 2 foreign Player
    7 Local players from the State

But as some have said the private bodies sponsoring the team (Though would be very good) is not on the plan right now, as it is believed NBA has given BFI a very very huge amount to start the league here. So we are currently trying to work out a model where Franchises are created and players are sold to them, keeping in mind that league is able to provide enough money and as well slowly reduce their job dependency so as to make them totally into basketball, with out restrictions.

COACHING

The country has 4 National Sports training center to train Coaches and Support Staff. These courses are for period of 2 years. But due to the fact that they are mainly based on the local knowledge. So as a part of development, 4 Indian coaches had been to USA to Under go training program.

Apart from these the NBA has been sending its ex-players to promote basketball, Players such as

Robert Parish (Hall of Fame and member of 50 greatest players in Points with a career stats of 23,334 points,14,715 rebounds and 2,357 Blocks)

Robert Reid (10,448 points, 4,168 rebounds and 2,500 assists)

They organized camps for Children, Junior and Senior players along with coaches in various cities of India. Apart from this India also hosted NBA BWB camp which saw 4 NBA players along with several coaches and staff coming to India.

Apart from the NBA, J.D. Walsh (honorable mention McDonald's HS All American, played at the University of Maryland, and also played professionally in Europe) has been conducting camps at the grass root level (Meaning children below 14 years). He has conducted nearly a dozen of those, even in parts like Kashmir (Which is war torn with terrorist infiltrating it).

The Federation also has a tie up with University of Delware to provide scholarship and train its players or coaches, who qualify the test. They are awarded a degree in Sports Management after 2 years of college.

In 2011, India would be hosting Commonwealth Basketball Championship.

So that was what I had to say about it. Any suggestions or comments or corrections please mention it

Thank you.

Yudhistir
    Last edited by yudhistir; 05-17-2009, 02:23 PM. Reason: correct the links
    The whole life is summarized in two things;

Hankering for what we don't have
    and
    Lamenting for we have lost

-Srila Prabhupada

www.indiabasket.net: India's top basketball site

Great post.
    But as your previous one ,seems the material provided by your official is not that reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by BlacKOEIsle View Post
      Great post.
      But as your previous one ,seems the material provided by your official is not that reliable.

Thanks for the reply,Isle can you please point out the part where you think i'm wrong, as this would help me correcting further posts.

Coming serially:

1. Riyazuddin: About his score in commonwealth games, I found it on their official website, 2007 club championship is on the FIBA Asia site (Under May 2007 section)

This is CWG official Website:

2. Talwinderjit : Was discussed at the Asian Point guard post and all the details here are correct.

3. Trideep : About the 2005 ABC, you can aggegate it your self, you will find a very close value to what i have mentioned depending on how many games you find, but more or less its the same. The awards about the MVP, Best shooter, heres the Link from where I found it:

4. Robinson: 3rd highest scorer in 1998 ABC, 100% true. I was a witness to matches till semi finals stages. Commonwealth games, again can be found on the official website.

About the Asian All Star Game, you inquire any Philippine user of the forum who has seen the games there. (Some of the users are "b3lowzro","reamily")

He playing in the Iran league has already been confirmed by one of the Iran user (Mohsena2631) on this thread:

5. Vishesh: The kid winning the MVP at NBA BWB heres the link:

and the scores at the Asian Championship in Iran, heres the link:
      +

6. Geethu: I have already provided all the links to her matches, still once again.

Asian championship
      (TOP SCORER,REBOUNDER, ETC) : http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/07/...icsRoundID=ALL

Big V Division 2 Top scoring and rebounding stats:

Her getting selected for WNBL in Australia heres the Link:

WNBL | The home page of the Women's National Basketball League, the longest running female sporting competition in Australia!

6.Divya Singh : She getting a offer in Chile club heres the Link:

8th Top scorer at FIBA ABC
      , heres the link

Finally, if I have missed out any body or any thing please let me know.

Your corrections keep me going.

Thank you.

Yudhistir

P.S: Anish Sharda and Timir Patel are easy, Just google their names and you will get results,such as here for his College records.

Last edited by yudhistir; 05-05-2009, 03:55 PM.

and

-Srila Prabhupada

Comment

Yudhistir,

Thanks for the information. I would appreciate a little more "deep history" about Indian ball players, or has basketball only recently come to India?

It's a shame what happened to Gethu Anna Jose. Actually, I thought she used to play in Australia for a number of years. Was I wrong?

You neglected to mention that while Divya Singh is in the US, she is coaching for the University of Delaware. She has the potential to bring Indian women to the next level of Asian basketball.

Robinson is a tragic figure. He clearly had a good future. I never knew what happened to him until now. It sounds like he had political problems with the federation, which is so typical of countries that are trying to develop their basketball programs, like China, the Philippines and Brazil. What a shame.

What is the status of basketball in India now? Is it a semi-professional league? Are players played? Do any players have a chance of becoming professionals?

Anyhow, keep the information and pictures coming, man!!

--Matt
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

1,Wang Zhizhi averaged about 19pts and ranked 5,lebanon's khatib averaged about 24pts and ranked 2th,if Trideep Rai averaged 25,he should be the No1 scorer in doha...or maybe because india didn't qualify,his stats just didn't count?

2, Robinson may played in the 15th junior ABC held in India,not the 19th,as the 19th junior ABC was holded in China in 2006

3.Geethu Anna Jose is the best female player in Asia----No offense,but China has 2 player entering WNBA....

4. Vishesh Bhriguvanshi seems to have a very brilliant future,hope he can develop well and bring Inia basketball to a new level.
          Last edited by BlacKOEIsle; 05-05-2009, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Isle,

I based the score on the matches which i could find, if you have the full tournament stats i would be very great full to for providing it.

I found these at the office stat sheet

Vs Lebanon : 29 points

Vs Hong Kong : 24 Points

Vs Malaysia : 21 points

About Robinson, I guess you are right, But these are these dates I remember 5th to 13th November 1998 at Calcutta (The edition number i don't know as there was one in India in 2004)

I quite agree with you, about the 2 WNBA players. But then looking with a common man's prospective you will see even beginners representing the state at National Championship, where no trained coaches or equipments are available. Pylometrics or Supplements are hardly heard of. Where a professional league doesn't exist and especially womens team hardly attends any tournaments (Apart from ABC). So, please give this angle a thought. I would be waiting for your thoughts on these

and

-Srila Prabhupada

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
              Yudhistir,

Thanks for the information. I would appreciate a little more "deep history" about Indian ball players, or has basketball only recently come to India?

It's a shame what happened to Gethu Anna Jose. Actually, I thought she used to play in Australia for a number of years. Was I wrong?

You neglected to mention that while Divya Singh is in the US, she is coaching for the University of Delaware. She has the potential to bring Indian women to the next level of Asian basketball.

Robinson is a tragic figure. He clearly had a good future. I never knew what happened to him until now. It sounds like he had political problems with the federation, which is so typical of countries that are trying to develop their basketball programs, like China, the Philippines and Brazil. What a shame.

What is the status of basketball in India now? Is it a semi-professional league? Are players played? Do any players have a chance of becoming professionals?

Anyhow, keep the information and pictures coming, man!!

--Matt
              Thanks Matt for the reply. I did'nt get you on "Deep History" of players, though i can provide you those, little clarification on this would help me. But on the general sense. I have presented the chronology of basketball

1930 : Basketball first played in India

1934 : First National championship

1939 : Becomes FIBA Member

1980 : Appears 1st time in Olympics (Given the fact the majority countries boycotted it due to being held in Russia)

Geethu played in Australia for almost 4 years (including 3 and half months for CWG and New Zealand Tour), I told her such things don't happen every week and fly back to Australia.

Robinson
              ........Completely agree with you tragic figure. After the CWG he was selected by a NZ club, but then he had a stress fracture during the CWG which got worse by then. Later on he again got a deal with one more club but he decided to let it go for his Modeling.

Heres a link on his modeling for a Bike Ad:

About Divya Singh, I thought who's interested in Coaches and that too women coaches from India. My mind told just forget it , She says she will represent the country for the last time at this years championship and then get into coaching.

Basketball Status
              :

the current situation is something like this, Government has various bodies such as Railways, Army, Banks,etc so these recruit players and pay them (Some of them even provide accommodation to them).

The league is expected to start this September and being the 1st season it would be for almost 3 months, the Federation has also signed up with ESPN to telecast the matches live. The salary would vary team to team but on the who it would be almost 1500$ (Estimated, not final) per month (Excluding flights, travel, accommodation). This amount is enough in India to live a very good life (A high end flat would cost you only 250$ and cost of living is cheap here, so works out a neat amount),but will gradually increase with the coming seasons.

The league is allowing foreign players (Different salary cap for them) so can be called a professional(given the small duration) ?

As far as players, Seeing the current situation I see only Talwinderjit making it big.

Matt, I hope I was able to answer you. Any further queries please let me know.

Thank you.

Yudhistir

and

-Srila Prabhupada

Comment

Originally posted by yudhistir View Post
                Isle,

I based the score on the matches which i could find, if you have the full tournament stats i would be very great full to for providing it.

I found these at the office stat sheet

Vs Lebanon : 29 points

Vs Hong Kong : 24 Points

Vs Malaysia : 21 points
                maybe because India was eliminated in early stage he can't reach the minimum appearances (4 games?)

About Robinson, I guess you are right, But these are these dates I remember 5th to 13th November 1998 at Calcutta (The edition number i don't know as there was one in India in 2004)
                yeah,the 15th junior abc was held from 5th to 13th November 1998 at Calcutta

I quite agree with you, about the 2 WNBA players. But then looking with a common man's prospective you will see even beginners representing the state at National Championship, where no trained coaches or equipments are available. Pylometrics or Supplements are hardly heard of. Where a professional league doesn't exist and especially womens team hardly attends any tournaments (Apart from ABC). So, please give this angle a thought. I would be waiting for your thoughts on these
                No doubt she is a great player,espeicially considering the bad enviorment ,and deserve respect from all over the world;But still,I think when we talk about who is asia'sbest female player,etc..the first thing come to mind should be the player's ability on the court.

Comment

He was also the 1st Indian player to play Professional Basketball, played 2 seasons in Iran for Farash Mashad (Mohsena, can you please confirm his game standards there compared to others?) Yudhistir
                  thanks yudhistir for this thread

yes, Robinson played with Farsh Mashhad (Mashhad Carpet) and at that time he was a good import. but I must add that Iranian league improved alot in these recent years and Iranian clubs are paying much more now !

beside his quality , he was famous more because of his problems !! he left his team two or three times during the season for unknown tournaments in India ! also Mashhadi coach (Majid Valipour) had many problems with him !

Comment

Originally posted by BlacKOEIsle View Post
                    No doubt she is a great player,espeicially considering the bad enviorment ,and deserve respect from all over the world;But still,I think when we talk about who is asia'sbest female player,etc..the first thing come to mind should be the player's ability on the court.
                    Thanks for the reply Isle. I agree that a player is judged by the game ( I provided those above) the standard of game varies. She is still in transition period, had she taken up WNBL, I'm sure she could have made it to WNBA within 2 years.

So lets see how is works out at this years ABC and how many clubs offer her contracts.

Thank you.

Yudhistir

and

-Srila Prabhupada

Comment

Originally posted by mohsena2631 View Post
                      thanks yudhistir for this thread

yes, Robinson played with Farsh Mashhad (Mashhad Carpet) and at that time he was a good import. but I must add that Iranian league improved alot in these recent years and Iranian clubs are paying much more now !

beside his quality , he was famous more because of his problems !! he left his team two or three times during the season for unknown tournaments in India ! also Mashhadi coach (Majid Valipour) had many problems with him !

Mohsena, Thank you very much. You have enliven the thread.

Federation here is more like a danger on your head, "you follow us and do what we say or get banned", so the tournament stuff is quite common even to others players here

Rest is Hilarious in one sense..

Thank you once again for the post.

Yudhistir

and

-Srila Prabhupada

Comment

Mohsena, Thank you very much. You have enliven the thread.

Federation here is more like a danger on your head, "you follow us and do what we say or get banned", so the tournament stuff is quite common even to others players here

Rest is Hilarious in one sense..

Thank you once again for the post.

Yudhistir

I must clarify, he played one season for Shahrekord (EX Negarsang) and one for Mashhad.

this page has a long article about Robinson (+ an interview with him) , the writer of this article confused how he can have contracts with two teams at the same time !

Comment

Hi yudhistir,

could you explain about "Young Cagers" basketball that will represent India in Asia Champions cup next week in Jakarta ? Is that the best team from India ?

and who imports they take for the tournament ?

thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by vsloke2009 View Post
                            Hi yudhistir,

could you explain about "Young Cagers" basketball that will represent India in Asia Champions cup next week in Jakarta ? Is that the best team from India ?

and who imports they take for the tournament ?

thanks !
                            Sloke,

Thank you very much for brining the point up. "Young Cagers" is the other name for the Indian National team. So it consists of the regular players playing under a different name. As its the NT so no imports.

Is it the best combination? By far, NO.

Its most likely only those I have mentioned would be doing everything, one more addition to would be Jagdeep Singh.

Apart from these nothing much is to be seen.

Thank you.

Yudhistir

P.S: Robinson, won't be in it as he is out with Knee injury.

and

-Srila Prabhupada

Comment

Sloke,

Thank you very much for brining the point up. "Young Cagers" is the other name for the Indian National team. So it consists of the regular players playing under a different name. As its the NT so no imports.

Is it the best combination? By far, NO.

Its most likely only those I have mentioned would be doing everything, one more addition to would be Jagdeep Singh.

Apart from these nothing much is to be seen.

Thank you.

Yudhistir

P.S: Robinson, won't be in it as he is out with Knee injury.

Well, tell me about the roster that will come to Jakarta.
                              Who are the star in Young Cagers ?

Cause i live in Jakarta ... So I need to know before the game starting.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information