Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protesters from the St. Paul rally are threatening to occupy the Olympic basketball site. A recent demonstration showed protesters numbering around 200 or more setting up 15-20 units of camping tents.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Prelim Great Britain roster of 21 has been announced and called the "strongest team Britain ever".

Head coach Chris Finch and the British Basketball Federation today released a preliminary roster of 21 players to compete for spots on the host team’s 2012 Olympic team. Given the fairly short modern history of FIBA-level basketball on the ‘Isles, the claim from the federation that this is the “strongest-ever preliminary GB men’s squad” isn’t […]

Comment

Sullivan Phillips played for Bermuda at last year's CBC championship, how can he be in the GB squad? I know that FIBA enforces their eligibility rules selectively and creatively but this would be the first case I can think of where a player switched after representing another country at senior level in an official tournament.

BJ Mullens really is not a very good player.
        Last edited by JGX; 04-11-2012, 04:07 AM.
        Originally posted by Fedfan
        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
        Originally posted by GuTO
        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
          Sullivan Phillips played for Bermuda at last year's CBC championship, how can he be in the GB squad? I know that FIBA enforces their eligibility rules selectively and creatively but this would be the first case I can think of where a player switched after representing another country at senior level in an official tournament.

Not the 1st time, it was a case f.e. with Vasco Evtimov, who played for France (2001) and Bulgaria (2009 if I recall correctly) in Eurobasket. Also Ermal Kuqo (Turkey/Albania), Rasim Basak (Turkey/Azerbaidjan), last year it was a case between French and Seenegalese federations with 3 players involved, but France didn't allow all of them to play for Senegal, don't remember if finally any of them played. maybe there're some other cases like that, just too lazy to think about it. Basically federations must agee, then it's up to FIBA to allow the move or not, usually they does

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
            Not the 1st time, it was a case f.e. with Vasco Evtimov, who played for France (2001) and Bulgaria (2009 if I recall correctly) in Eurobasket. Also Ermal Kuqo (Turkey/Albania)
            You're right. Kuqo even went from Albania to Turkey back to Albania. I think two countries in two consecutive years is a new one though.

Phillips is definitely the only player on a preliminary Olympic squad to have played three years of professional soccer in the US second division.
            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Damn, you are fast! I just found out about it and posted it into another thread How in the world will be Ben Gordon eligible to play, since Mullens had no passport before now and counts against the limit?

I from Wisconsin!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

You're right. Kuqo even went from Albania to Turkey back to Albania. I think two countries in two consecutive years is a new one though.

Phillips is definitely the only player on a preliminary Olympic squad to have played three years of professional soccer in the US second division.

I think Kuqo did not play for Albania prior to his national-team stint in Turkey. At least I was not able to track it down on the web.

Phillips played with the Bermuda in the Island Games in the past. From playing against the Isle of Man up now to play in the Olympics...fodder for a story

I from Wisconsin!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojado View Post
                  Damn, you are fast! I just found out about it and posted it into another thread How in the world will be Ben Gordon eligible to play, since Mullens had no passport before now and counts against the limit?
                  Ben Gordon was born in London, England and has dual citizenship I believe. So he doesn't need a passport.
                  Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojado View Post
                    I think Kuqo did not play for Albania prior to his national-team stint in Turkey. At least I was not able to track it down on the web.
                    FIBA archive site has him playing for Albania in qualifying for 1997 and 1999 Eurobaskets. However after doing some more digging, I suspect that was actually Artan Kuqo.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGX View Post

FIBA archive site has him playing for Albania in qualifying for 1997 and 1999 Eurobaskets. However after doing some more digging, I suspect that was actually Artan Kuqo.
                      Thanks for clearing it up.

Phillips might be eligible since Great Britain's national-team consists of all formerly-independent working federations of Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland (I'm guessing the last one).Maybe the Bermuda one is included now as well...which also means their participation in FIBA tournaments is not possible anymore.
                      Same would count for Gibraltar, who even have one kid playing on a U.S. college...

I from Wisconsin!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mojado View Post
                        Phillips might be eligible since Great Britain's national-team consists of all formerly-independent working federations of Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland (I'm guessing the last one).
                        I don't think Northern Ireland ever had their own federation...they're part of Basketball Ireland.

There was a small article in one of the Bermudan papers about Phillips being called up by GB but it didn't say anything about his eligibility. In the meantime, this seems to be the major story in Bermuda:
                        Ginger beer supplies arrive to avert national Dark ‘n’ Stormy crisis

Comment

• Originally posted by JGX View Post
                          I don't think Northern Ireland ever had their own federation...they're part of Basketball Ireland.

There was a small article in one of the Bermudan papers about Phillips being called up by GB but it didn't say anything about his eligibility. In the meantime, this seems to be the major story in Bermuda:
                          Ginger beer supplies arrive to avert national Dark ‘n’ Stormy crisis
                          What would the world be without ginger beer - a peaceful place. All these border clashes and cold war-situations...

I from Wisconsin!

Comment

• i have some news of Brazil NT

the North-American Point Guard of Bauru Basketball, Larry Taylor will be declared officially able to play in olympics for Brazil this Monday..

Brazil will play a Super 4 in Sao Carlos with Greece, New Zealand and Tunisia... we will play against United States in Las Vegas July 16th (my birth date lol)

Magnano will announce the squad in next days i hope... 11 players will be guaranteed for sure:

Huertas and Larry
                            Barbosa, Alex Garcia, Marcelinho Machado, Marquinhos and Guilherme Giovannoni
                            Nene Hilario, Tiago Splitter, Rafael Hettsheimeir and Anderson Varejao

1 slot remaining... some other good names

PG: Raul Neto, Rafael Freire Luz, Scott Machado and Vitor Benite (Nezinho Dos Santos, the old one)

PF and C: Augusto Cesar Lima, Caio Torres, Murilo Becker (best player of our home league, but don't have international level in my opinion), Fab Melo, Paulao Prestes and Vitor Faverani (playing well last games of Valencia in ACB)

let's wait for next weeks.
                            Last edited by GustavoGanso; 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• I'm not sure if Yao Ming will fly to London for his commentary on the Chinese men's games. Maybe Yao will just stay in China and simulcast it with the game.
                              Sacramento Kings
                              HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

• I am looking forward to seeing Brazil in the olympics . I think Magnano will get the best Brazil have to offer . I would like to see Nene,anderson ,thiago,barbosa and huertas - role players should be marquinos ,larry,marcelino,hettsheimer, and 2 youngsters who will be drafted and play in the NBA like scott machado and fab melo

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information