Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sofoklis Schortsanitis: Big Sofo Updates

Default Sofoklis Schortsanitis: Big Sofo Updates

Do you know how much is the buy-out in Sofo's new contract??

Clippers will probably try to sign him next year again... i wonder if it will be a Spanoulis-case for Oly...

Default Sofoklis "Big Sofo/Baby Shaq" Schortsanitis Updates

In the turnament in Italy he only got playing time against Canada, and in that game he only played 10 minutes (he scored 8 points)....Now against Croatia he is out off the team again..This is worrying me..

I think he has a minor injury but yeah I am a little worried too.
    We have enough big men and personally I really like Maurokefalidis, but I think Sofo could bring a new dimension to the team.
    By the way I really hope Hatzivretas doesn't start in front of Zisis and Spanoulis.

Default Sofo

It's not exactly an injury.He has sensitive legs and during the season he had some problems with tenonditis,so they are protecting him..That's what some journalists following our NT say.Furthermore,it is believed that in the end he will take Bourousis's place in the final squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Marble
    It's not exactly an injury.He has sensitive legs and during the season he had some problems with tenonditis,so they are protecting him..That's what some journalists following our NT say.Furthermore,it is believed that in the end he will take Bourousis's place in the final squad.

Well today Maurokefalidis played, plus the 11 european champions, minus Bourousis.
    Also, Pelekanos has been cut because of injuries. 16 players are left now.
    In random order:

Diamantidis, Papaloukas, Papamakarios
    Zisis, Spanoulis, Chatzivrettas, Kyritsis
    Kakiouzis, Fotsis, Vasilopoulos
    Maurokefalidis, Dikoudis, Tsartsaris
    Papadopoulos, Schortsanitis, Bourousis

It's not surprising judging from what went on, when Oly was looking for a head coach.

I hope that Sofo won't be on the mundobasket so he can concentrate on Olympiakos'preparation.Giannakis can have Mayrokefalidis

Unless he is severely injured, I dont see Schortsanitis getting cut from the Greek NT. It makes absolutely no sense..
    Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

I can confirm having spoken to a journalist of major Greek sports site that Sofo hasn't been playing because he has a knee injury and precautionary measures are being taken for him to be fit. It's nothing serious for the time being.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

PM me to join the "I hate or find the NBA boring" fan club. :
    EverGreen, ArkadiosV2, re5pectas, GreenFan, Matiz,
    -K2-, Nimonas, jugoplastika, Podgorica, Test, buzz, Alvertis4.

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5FZXKbrcY

I bet 10 that Mavrokefalidis will make the team instead of Mpourousis.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
    I bet 10 that Mavrokefalidis will make the team instead of Mpourousis.
    the 12th place is between Sofo, Mavrokefalidis and Borousis. Sofo is the clear favorite.

The rest of the team will be the same as the last eurobasket.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

PM me to join the "I hate or find the NBA boring" fan club. :
    EverGreen, ArkadiosV2, re5pectas, GreenFan, Matiz,
    -K2-, Nimonas, jugoplastika, Podgorica, Test, buzz, Alvertis4.

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5FZXKbrcY

I think that Sofo will be at the 12 players that will go to Japan and that he will do very well... I think that this national team is the best we ever had... yeah I know we don't have superstars like Galis and Giannakis but we have 12 equal players... and whoever plays will give 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofo7
    I think that Sofo will be at the 12 players that will go to Japan and that he will do very well... I think that this national team is the best we ever had... yeah I know we don't have superstars like Galis and Giannakis but we have 12 equal players... and whoever plays will give 100%.
    12 equal players? I dont think so.
    Lets just say that Greece has a 12-player rotation...
    And of course this is the best Greek team ever.
    Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen
    the 12th place is between Sofo, Mavrokefalidis and Borousis. Sofo is the clear favorite.

The rest of the team will be the same as the last eurobasket.
    I hope that is just your opinion because it would be unfair if Giannakis has already decided who will go to Japan. I think he should give all 16 players an equal chance.

Quote Originally Posted by hagakure
    I hope that is just your opinion because it would be unfair if Giannakis has already decided who will go to Japan. I think he should give all 16 players an equal chance.
    Well, this isnt as important as the win, so, as soon as the best players can achieve the best chemistry and effectiveness possible, then the better for the team (of destiny..).

With France sofo was excelent and scored 8 points. He surely is in Giannakis plans.
    Olympiacos
    Triple crown 97
    www.olympiacos.org
    www.ultras7osfp.com

bourousis cut from the nt. I think that gives the answer wether sofo is in yannakis' plans or not
    -.-- ..- .--. --..-- - .... .. ... .. ... -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. .
    wipe your ass with a duckling today!

Quote Originally Posted by wardjdim
    Well, this isnt as important as the win, so, as soon as the best players can achieve the best chemistry and effectiveness possible, then the better for the team (of destiny..).
    I have to disagree with this logic. Rehaggel tried to do that but it didn't work. It's good to have players that know how to play with each other but being fair to everyone is more important IMO. If some of the new players don't get a chance then they will not be interested in playing for the NT in the future. So far Giannakis has shown that he is fair by cutting veterans that couldn't help anymore and I hope he continues to do that.

Yannakis said that Sofo has missed training, he has tenontitis
    so he may select Mavrokefalidis and not Sofo..

(thats fine by me... )

Default Scary Big SOFO PICS!!!!

And my favorite one!!!

A little late, but worth updating this thread with...

Source: Yahoo and AFP

Greece's "Baby Shaq" eager to face US NBA stars
    by Jim Slater, August 31, 2006

SAITAMA, Japan (AFP) - Greek center Sofoklis Schortsanitis, better known as "Baby Shaq", sees a great opportunity in his team's semi-final showdown Friday with the United States at the World Basketball Championship.

Schortsanitis, a 2.08m center, has the same sort of wide body and inside power near the hoop that helped make Shaquille O'Neal a National Basketball Association superstar.

This mighty Greek colossus was effective on defense against NBA giant Yao Ming in a playoff win over China. Now the 21-year-old Euroleague standout with Olympiakos will see how he performs against a team of NBA stars.

"It will mean a lot to me. It will be a great test," Schortsanitis said. "I already had one against Yao Ming. He was really great."

Schortsanitis dropped 35 pounds to improve the speed needed to make effective use of his bulk.

That has allowed him to contribute more when coming off the bench as part of Greece's team approach, a Charles Barkley-esque body banger who can muscle his way over, around or through most opponents but has stamina issues.

"This team is like a puzzle. If you take a piece out, it's all going to collapse," Greece star Theodoros Papaloukas said. "With all the years we've had together, it all comes down to the experience."

Strongman Schortsanitis was a second-round selection of the NBA Los Angeles Clippers in the 2003 NBA Draft at age 18 and knows NBA scouts are watching here to see if he has developed into a player ready for the game's richest stage.

"We have played great. We were determined to reach our goal of getting to the final four," he said. "We must keep doing the good work in the semi-final."

"Baby Shaq" averaged 10.7 points and 4.9 rebounds a game in the European league season, finishing third in Rookie of the Year voting, and during Greece's 7-0 run at the worlds has averaged 7.8 points in nine minutes a game.

European champion Greece can avenge a loss to the US team in the 2004 Athens Olympic bronze medal game and ensure their first medal in global competition.

"We will do our best to bring home a medal for the people of Greece. A medal here would be great," Schortsanitis said.

"But we have a semi-final against one of the best teams in the world. The US team is not like the other teams that are in this tournament."

So how does "Baby Shaq" expect Greece to conquer the American juggernaut.

"We just need to bring down the light," he said.

Expect that to mean bringing down a few US players and slamming down a few dunks as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast