Brazil national team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BRA – Brazil announce plans for build-up to Mexico

RIO DE JANEIRO (FIBA Americas Championship) – Brazil came up short of their attempt to claim a spot at last summer’s Beijing Games via the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens.

Now the South American giants are looking to make sure they don’t miss out on the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

Brazil have announced that their national team training program will tip off on July 27 for the 2009 FIBA Americas Championship, which is to be played in Mexico from August 26 to September 6.

The Brazilians are so precise that they have revealed they will have 43 practices, and six warm-up games, in 27 days.

The first phase of the training gets underway in Sao Paulo on July 27 and the last in the city is on August 3.

Brazil will then switch to Rio de Janeiro on August 4 where they will work out at Maracanazinho. Two days later, in Rio de Janeiro, the Brazilians will host the Eletrobras Cup with Argentina, Australia and Uruguay also taking part.

On August 10 the national team will shift their practices to the HSBC Arena in Rio and remain until August 15.

The national team will then travel to Puerto Rico on August 16 to take part in the Tuto Marchand Cup from August 18-20 in San Juan. Argentina, Canada and Puerto Rico are also involved.

Brazil will arrive in Mexico August 22 and resume their workouts until the start of the FIBA Americas Championship on August 26.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

BRA – Monsalve looks forward to strong Brazil squad

RIO DE JANEIRO (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Moncho Monsalve expects to have an awesome squad at his disposal this summer when Brazil attempt to qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Championship.

The Spaniard has been in contact with Brazil's high-profile players in America.

Two of them - Nene of the Denver Nuggets and Anderson Varejao of Cleveland – just reached the NBA conference finals with their respective teams.

"I and the technical manager of the CBB, André Alves, were at the end of February and early March personally talking with Anderson, Leandrinho (Leandro Barbosa) and Nene," Monsalve said.

"The three were satisfied with our plan and said they will play for Brazil in the Copa America (FIBA Americas Championship).

"We also talked with other Brazilians who play in Europe and hope to have everyone in the competition for a place in the World Championship in Turkey."

Nene, Barbosa and Anderson weren't able to play last year when Brazil failed to win a spot at the Beijing Games in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Monsalve has been impressed by the new National League in Brazil.

"The National League is a reality and in its first year has already achieved many victories and I'm sure that it will grow in the coming years," Monsalve said.

"The competition has already shown some proven players and the talent of many others.

"In the coming days, I will watch quarter-final play-off games along with my technical assistant José Alves Neto, who keeps me informed about the players."
      Artificial Nature

Comment

BRA – Betinho thrilled to receive chance with Brazil

RIO DE JANEIRO (FIBA Americas Championship) - No one should be surprised that José Roberto Duarte is in the reckoning for a place in Brazil's senior team.

Betinho, as he is known, made headlines two years ago when representing Brazil at the 2007 FIBA U19 World Championship.

The 21-year-old averaged more than 14 points per game as the South Americans reached the Semi-Finals before falling to eventual champions Serbia, the hosts of the event.

"It was a wonderful moment," Betinho says.

"The three stages of preparation were excellent. The group developed into a huge union and we were increasingly confident in the talent of our team.

"As we won games, we saw that we had chances to reach the podium, but ultimately it didn't happen.

“What matters is we played well and made history with an excellent result. I learned that in basketball and in life, anything is possible when you work hard."

Now that he has been called up by Brazil coach Moncho Monsalve to train with the senior team this summer, Betinho knows he has a golden opportunity.

"I was very happy," he says of the call-up.

"I am young and to be among the best of Brazil fills me with pride.

"Everybody wants to help Brazil return to the elite in the world of basketball and show that it's worth the investment in our potential."

Monsalve, a Spaniard, has been well received since coaching Brazil’s national team last summer.

"What I hear is that Moncho Monsalve is a very good coach who likes to develop the talent of young athletes," Betinho says.

"I hope he likes my game and knows he can count on me to represent basketball in Brazil well in any situation."
        Artificial Nature

Comment

BRA – Moncho says Brazil will make it to Turkey for 2010 FIBA World Championship

RIO DE JANEIRO (FIBA Americas Championship) - Brazil coach Moncho Monsalve has thrown down the gauntlet to the other national sides taking part in the FIBA Americas Championship in Puerto Rico later this year.

The stakes will be high for the countries competing in San Juan with places at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey up for grabs.

“There are 10 teams that will battle for four spots and Brazil will clinch one of them," he declared.

At Tuesday’s draw in San Juan, Brazil were drawn in Group B with Argentina, Cuba, Venezuela and the Dominican Republic.

“If we are able to have all the players available, we have enough talent to guarantee ourselves a place in the World Championship and conquer the Americas title,” Monsalve said.

“We want to play with creativity on offense, moving the ball.

“We need to guarantee rebounds on defense.

“This is my philosophy and how basketball is being played right now in the world.”

Argentina are number one in the FIBA World Rankings, and Monsalve knows they will have a good team.

“The Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez will not have (Manu) Ginobili, (Fabricio) Oberto, (Andres) Nocioni, but he will have other players of international level at his disposal,” Monsalve said.

“I believe Venezuela will go with a better team than with respect to last year. The Dominican Republic have talent with Francisco Garcia and Charlie Villanueva among others.

“Then there are great national teams like Canada and Puerto Rico.”

Brazil played at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament last summer in Athens under Monsalve but did not have NBA players Leandro Barbosa, Nene or Anderson Varejao.

The team failed to reach the Beijing Games.
          Artificial Nature

Comment

my brazilian team

pg-marcelo huertas
            pg-valtinho
            sg-leandrinho
            sg-alex
            sf-marquinhos
            sf-tavernari
            sf-marcelinho
            pf-vitor faverani
            pf-varejão
            p-paulão
            p-nene
            p-tiago splitter

Comment

Originally posted by marcelo010986 View Post
              my brazilian team

pg-marcelo huertas
              pg-valtinho
              sg-leandrinho
              sg-alex
              sf-marquinhos
              sf-tavernari
              sf-marcelinho
              pf-vitor faverani
              pf-varejão
              p-paulão
              p-nene
              p-tiago splitter
              Forget about Agernetina cuz if they have that team for the Americas Championship, they'll be fighting for the God Medal

Comment

The "Brazilian National Team B" will play the Almada Tornaument (Portugal), that starts tomorrow (along Angola, Finland and Portugal).

Brazilian roster:

BRASIL
                4. Eduardo Machado (Duda) – Armador – 26 anos – 1,91m – Flamengo (RJ) – RJ
                5. Fúlvio de Assis – Armador – 27 anos – 1,87m – C.B. Granada (Espanha) – SP
                6. Guilherme Teichmann – Ala – 25 anos – 2,04m – Limeira (SP) – SC
                7. Jeferson Willian – Ala – 26 anos – 2,07m – Flamengo (RJ) – SP
                8. André Stefanelli (Dedé) – Escolta – 24 anos – 1,96m – Paulistano (SP) – SP
                9. Jonathan Tavernari – Escolta – 21 anos – 1,96m – BYU Utah (Estados Unidos) – SP
                10. Carlos Alexandre (Olivinha) – Ala – 26 anos – 2,02m – Pinheiros (SP) – SP
                11. Lucas Cipolini – Ala/Pivô – 22 anos – 2,06m – BYU Hawaii (Estados Unidos) – SP
                12. Bruno Fiorotto – Pivô – 24 anos – 2,08m – Paulistano (SP) – SP
                13. José Roberto Duarte (Betinho) – Escolta – 20 anos – 1,95m – Paulistano (SP) – SP
                14. Vitor Benite – Armador – 19 anos – 1,90m – Pinheiros (SP) – SP
                15. Paulão Prestes – Pivô – 21 anos – 2,08m – Clínicas Rincón Axarquia (Espanha)
                Média de idade: 23,5 anos
                Média de altura: 2,00m

COMISSÃO TÉCNICA
                Administrador: Fernando Larralde
                Técnico: Moncho Monsalve
                Assistente Técnico: José Alves Neto
                Médicos: Dr. Daniel Doca
                Fisioterapeutas: Gabriel Peixoto e Raul Traete

Comment

Moncho selected 22 players that will practice for the FIBA Americas Championship.

• André Luiz Rodrigues (Manteiguinha) – Armador – 28 anos – 1,92m – Joinville (SC) – RJ
                  • Eduardo Machado (Duda) – Armador – 26 anos – 1,91m – Flamengo (RJ) – RJ
                  • Fúlvio de Assis – Armador – 27 anos – 1,87m – C.B. Granada (Espanha) – SP
                  • Marcelinho Huertas – Armador – 1,91m – 26 anos – GMAC Bologna (Itália) – SP
                  • Alex Garcia – Escolta – 29 anos – 1,91m – Universo/BRB (DF) – SP
                  • Diego Pinheiro – Escolta – 29 anos – 1,95m – Universo/BRB (DF) – GO
                  • Jonathan Tavernari – Escolta – 22 anos – 1,98m – BYU Utah (Estados Unidos) – SP
                  • Leandrinho Barbosa – Escolta – 26 anos – 1,92m – Phoenix Suns (NBA) – SP
                  • Jeferson Willian – Ala – 26 anos – 2,07m – Flamengo (RJ) – SP
                  • Guilherme Giovannoni – Ala – 29 anos – 2,04m – Virtus Bologna (Itália) – SP
                  • Guilherme Teichmann – Ala – 25 anos – 2,04m – Winner/Limeira (SP) – SC
                  • Marcelinho Machado – Ala – 34 anos – 2,00m – Flamengo (RJ) – RJ
                  • Anderson Varejão – Ala/Pivô – 26 anos – 2,11m – Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA) – ES
                  • Carlos Alexandre (Olivinha) – Ala/Pivô – 26 anos – 2,02m – Pinheiros (SP) – RJ
                  • Lucas Cipolini – Ala/Pivô – 22 anos – 2,06m – BYU Hawaii (Estados Unidos) – SP
                  • Murilo Becker – Ala/Pivô – 25 anos – 2,11m – Pitágoras/Minas (MG) – RS
                  • João Paulo Batista – Pivô – 27 anos – 2,06m – Le Mans (França) – PE
                  • Paulão Prestes – Pivô – 21 anos – 2,08m – Clinicas Rincón Axarquia (Espanha) – SP
                  • Rafael Araújo (Baby) – Pivô – 28 anos – 2,11m – Flamengo (RJ) – PR
                  • Tiago Splitter – Pivô – 24 anos – 2,11m – Tau Cerâmica (Espanha) – SC
                  • Luiz Felipe Lemes – Armador – 28 anos – 1,90m – Pitágoras Minas (MG) – SP
                  • Rafael de Sousa (Mineiro) – Ala/Pivô – 20 anos – 2,07m – Paulistano (SP) – MG
                  Link

No Nene again. I don't know the reason.

The starters will likely be:

Marcelinho Huertas
                  Leandro Barbosa
                  Marcelinho Machado
                  Anderson Varejão
                  Tiago Splitter

Comment

BRA – Big Paulo closing in on spot in Brazil squad

ALMADA (FIBA Americas Championship) – The signs are very good that Brazil’s rising star Paulo Prestes will make the national team that plays at the FIBA Americas Championship next summer after his MVP performance in the International Tournament of Almada over the weekend.

The Brazilians, without any of their veterans, prevailed 77-73 over Portugal on Sunday to go 3-0 at the event with Paulo (widely known as Paulão - Big Paulo) scoring 12 points and hauling in six rebounds in the final game.

The 6ft 10in player described his award to FIBA.com as a “great personal incentive to keep working and achieve space in this Brazilian team”.

On the opening day of the Almada competition, Brazil overcame the nine-time African champions Angola 89-86 and then beat Finland 95-89 before overcoming the Portuguese.

Portugal, Brazil and Angola are three of the 10 teams now playing at the Lusofonia Games - an event for the Portuguese speaking countries, plus India, Sri Lanka and Macao.

Other teams are Mozambique, Cape Verde, São Tomé e Príncipe and Guinea Bissau.

The event started on Tuesday and runs through Sunday.

The 21-year-old center said of the Almada event: “This tournament was the show-piece of the beginning of a growing team that has ambition and potential.

“To beat Portugal at their own home was a sign that this team can do great things as we are under rebuilding. Portugal has a good team and was tough to beat.”

The average age of the Brazil team in Europe is 23.

“We are implementing a united spirit within the team,” Paulo said. “The team is becoming stronger and stronger.

“Tiago [Splitter], Nene, Leandrinho and [Anderson] Varejao are the kind of players that will make this group even stronger, and then we’ll show the world’s basketball fans that Brazil can play face-to-face against any other team.”

Nene, however, was this week ruled out for the summer with an arm injury he suffered in the NBA play-offs with the Denver Nuggets.

Brazil will play in the FIBA America Championship in San Juan, Puerto Rico, from August 26 to September 6, and will attempt to qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

“Our main priority is to qualify for the World Championship next year,” Paulo said. “We can say definitely that there is a great spirit in this team.

“It is time to show Brazilian fans they can have joy following the basketball.

“Failing to make it to the Olympics was a great disappointment for all of us.”

As for his club future, Paulo was a member of Spanish side Clinicas Rincon Axarquia [satellite-team of Unicaja Malaga] for the last three seasons.

He made himself available for the NBA Draft but withdrew his name.

“I have progressed very well as a player,” he said.

“I withdrew from the draft because I decided to play some more in Europe and then we‘ll see. I have acquired Spanish citizenship last month. It gives me more options to play in Europe.

“I have been playing for the Clinicas Rincon, but for next season there is a 90% chance to play for Unicaja. Even though there is a possibility of being loaned to another team in the ACB, all I expect is to stay at Unicaja.

“Playing in the Euroleague is something that any professional in Europe wants.”
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

It would be great for Paulão's development if he get a chance to play for a big club in Spain like Unicaja.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                        Forget about Agernetina cuz if they have that team for the Americas Championship, they'll be fighting for the God Medal
                        God Medal??, haha
                        Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                        16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                        Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                        8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Rafael Araujo (Baby) was cut from the squad yesterday due to an injury in his left foot.

Link (in portuguese)

Comment

Originally posted by PRSURF View Post
                            God Medal??, haha
                            LOL

ya know what I mean hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                              LOL

ya know what I mean hahahah
                              I actually thought it was a pun
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

Manteguinha was cut with a right foot injury that isn't fully healed yet. Moncho called Luiz Felipe in his place.

Link (in portuguese)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information