This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hihi
    The best site for live football streaming, live score updates, and the latest football news. Full service for all your football needs only at Nowgoal!

Comment

• Originally posted by Federoy View Post
      Groupings for the Preliminary Round

Group A: Japan, Korea, Philippines, Sri Lanka.
      Group B: Chinese Taipei, Iran, Kuwait, Uzbekistan.
      Group C: China, India, Kazakhstan, Qatar.
      Group D: Indonesia, Jordan, Lebanon, UAE.
      The top three teams from each group will advance to the second round of the championship.

Eighth Final Round

Group E: A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3
      Group F: C1, C2, C3, D1, D2, D3

Group A appears to be the group of death, though the Philippines are pretty much assured to make it into the next stage.

My predictions for the Final Round:

Group E: South Korea, Philippines, Japan, Iran, Uzbekistan, Chinese Taipei
      Group F: China, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Jordan, United Arab Emirates
      SF1: PHI vs CHN
      SF2: IRI vs LEB

For 3rd: PHI vs LEB
      Championship: CHN vs IRI

Final Standings:
      1. CHINA
      2. IRAN
      3. PHILIPPINES
      4. LEBANON

Comment

• Originally posted by talion View Post
        why fourth? what do you think is lacking in the nt? and what qualities do the top 3 have that we can't beat them?
        China hands down is still the best team. With or without Yao Ming i think the other teams would be hardpressed to beat them on their own homecourt.

i do think we lack the experience as a team; unlike teams Iran, Lebanon and maybe Jordan which has had their share of success in various international stints. Athletically, i think we are at par with these squads that if we want to win against them we'd really have to start the run-and-gun early and often--- which is, very very difficult as they know how to switch defense here and there. And that's just the offense. Defensively is where i think we will struggle. Yeng loves the man-to-man to the hilt, or probably the man-zone and eventually i think they attack us at our weakest point--- inside the paint.

Now, do not get me wrong. i am still hopeful that we'd dish out an upset or two to qualify but unless we can negate their advantage in the paint with our fastbreak offense, i really think we are going to come up short.
        If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• SRI LANKA

2007 FIBA MIDDLE ASIA CHAMPIONSHIP (qualification to FIBA ASIA 2007)
          vs. Kazakhstan L 54-115 (26-49 HT)
          vs. India L 66-117 (28-52 HT)

Record: 0-2 (120-232, -112)

Captain in 2007: Jagath Kulatunga

Article from Sri Lanka Sports Daily News http://www.dailynews.lk/2007/05/29/main_Sport.asp#
          (check the picture of the awesome crowd and court!)
          BASKETBALL: The visiting cagers from Kazakhstan routed Sri Lanka by a massive margin of 115 points to 54 in their opening fixture of the FIBA Middle Asia zone Basketball qualifying championship match played at Sugathadasa Indoor Stadium, Colombo last evening.

The visitors completely dominated the proceedings with their accurate shooting after having taken a 49 points to 26 points lead at the half time.

Kazakhstan seized the advantage of their height to conquer the home side and piled up a basket almost at a will. The Lankans however, put up an improved performance in the later part of the game with some accurate shooting.

However, the home team was always trailing by a big margin and never looked like making a match of it.

Yevstigneyev Mikhail with 22 points, Ponomarev Anton with 19 points, Yargaliyev Rustan with 13 points, Tyutyunik Alexander and Nechayev Ivan with 13 points each excelled for the winning team. The team was captained by Issakov Yevgeniy and the other players were Beryulin Yegor, Shpeht Andrey, Voyeikov Maxim, Skornyakov Artyom, Korovnikov Dmitriy and Gavrilov Dmitriy. Virantha Bastian with 14 points, Randima Sooriyarachchi with 11 points and Chamath Danawansa with 8 points were the chief scorers for Sri Lanka.

The home side was skipped by Jagath Kulatunga while Vajira Kumarasinghe, Shanaka Perera, Harshadeva Yasaratne, Prageeth Pushpakumara, Gamunu Sandaruwan, Asanka Suwaris, Roshel Mendis and Anushka Nilakshan were the other players for losers.

Eventhough, altogether twelve countries have been invited for this tournament, only India and Kazakhstan arrived here to take part. Out of this three teams only two top teams will be qualified to take part in the forthcoming FIBA Asia basketball championships which is scheduled to be held in Japan. This tournament is being organised by the Sri Lanka Basketball Federation under the approval of FIBA Middle Asia, the regional governing body. Sri Lanka has not hosted an international cager tourney since 1991.

Therefore SLBF consider this as an important milestone to end the 15 years drought. Today Kazakhstan will take on India in their second match at Sugathadasa Indoor Stadium at 5.30 p.m. Tomorrow Sri Lanka will play against India in their second fixture and the final will be worked off on Thursday at the same venue.
          And vs. India
          BASKETBALL: The visiting cagers from India cruised into the final of their FIBA Middle Asia Zone Basketball qualifying championship 2007 when they outplayed hosts Sri Lanka by a mammoth margin of 117 to 66 points yesterday evening at Sugathadasa Indoor Stadium courts, Colombo.

The Lankans after a promising start sailed to live up to expectations and were completely beaten by a superior outfit.

The Indians took a commanding 52 to 28 points lead at half time and set a pace for an impressive victory. Before the half time the scores stood at 23 to 10 points in favour of Indians at one time.

However, the visitors dominated the play with their superior height and brilliant shooting.

Sri Lanka missed lot of scoring opportunities through their faulty shooting which opened the way for opponents to grab the ball and to collect more points.

However, lankans were trailing by a huge margin and they could not get closer to their opponents at any stage. Indians came up with a fine performance in the latter part of the game scoring more three pointers.

Shiv Kumar with a massive 23 points was the top scorer for the winners while Lokesh Yadav (16), Riyaz Uddin (17) and Jayachandra Shenoy Subash were the other chief scorers for visitors.

The Indian team was led by Muraleekrishna Ravindran and the other members of the team were Sambhaji Kadam, Dulip Kumar, Rajanna Sanjay Raj, Anoop Mukkanniyil, Roshan Thankachan Padavettiyil, Ravikumar Krishnasamy and Jayaram Jat.

Prageeth Pushpakumara (19), Randima Sooriyarachchi (10) and Shanaka Perera (9) were the main scorers for lankans. Jagath Kulatunga captained the side and the others were Harshadeva Yasaratne, Virantha Bastian, Chamath Danawansa, Gamunu Sandaruwan, Roshel Mendis, Anushka Nilakshan, Asanka Suwaris and Vajira Kumarasinghe.

On Tuesday the Kazakhstan overcame India by 88 to 40 points to secure their place in the final after leading 45 to 23 points at half time. Yevstigneyev Mikhail (17) and Ponomarev Anton (15) top scored for winners while Jayachandra Subash (12) and Riyaz Uddin (9) were the main scorers for losers.

Today, the grand final will be held between unbeaten Kazakhstan and India at Sugathadasa Indoor Stadium, Colombo commencing at 5.30 p.m. Both these teams will qualify to take part in the FIBA Asia championships which will be staged in Japan.
          I get a few things out of this.
          1) Sri Lanka is small
          2) They don't seem to shoot at a high percentage.
          3) Not great defensively
          4) Don't rebound well.
          5) Streaky, can play well in small spurts, but doesnt happen often.

A very beatable opponent. If RP loses, I will call it the upset of the tournament.
          My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
          1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
          1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
          1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
          1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
          1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
          1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
          1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

• GO Team PIlipinas

I still go for the Philippines even thou they are not consider as the contender by the Iranians .. Watch out because we already have Japhet Aguilar and i think the shooters are now preparing for the championship win or loose in the jone cup still they are just adjusting the real game will start on CHINA so get ready guys!!!! you wil see the real strenght of our team.. Ihope Jay Washington is included in the team because of his height and speed.. GO Coach Yeng Guaio!!!

Comment

• An exciting moment in the opening fixture of the FIBA Middle Asia zone Basketball qualifying championship match played between Sri Lanka and Kazakhstan, played at Sugathadasa Indoor Stadium, Colombo yesterday. Kazakhstan won 115 to 54.
              SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

• Originally posted by bolabasket View Post

An exciting moment in the opening fixture of the FIBA Middle Asia zone Basketball qualifying championship match played between Sri Lanka and Kazakhstan, played at Sugathadasa Indoor Stadium, Colombo yesterday. Kazakhstan won 115 to 54.
                is it the same kazakhstan that plays in jones cup?

sigpic

Comment

• i think after what we saw in the jones cup the teams to watch are iran lebanon jordan south korea and definitely the strongest team in asia china. the rest might pull some surprises but i doubt it.

Comment

• Just Wondering

Hey Fellas! just wonderin' if the current line-up of the RP Team playing in Jones Cup 2009 is Final?

I missed 3 guys actually. One is Alapag ...even foreign commentators looking for him...I think he's still better than Miller. 2nd is Caguaio...he's a good shooter from the outside and can drive-n-hoop...3rd is Kelly? man...he's really atlethetic...is there anyway RP TEAM could change the line-up? Hoping Caguaio, Alapag, Kelly and R. Reyes will make it for the Tianjin Tournament.

For my Final Line-up

1. Asi (Center) 6'9
                    2. Japeth (Center-Forward) 6'9
                    3. Gabrielle (PF) 6'5
                    4. JayJay (PG/SG) 6'0
                    5. Kerby (PF) 6'6
                    6. Ryan (Hopefully) (SG) 6'0 or Caguiao (Hopefully) (SG) 6'1
                    7. Kelly (Hopefully) (PF) 6'6
                    8. Alapag (Hopefully) (PG/SG) 5'8
                    9. Ranidel (PF) 6'6
                    10. Arwind (SF) 6'4
                    11. James (G/SF) 6'2
                    12. Mick (Center) 6'9
                    J `sh ter! Makes Sense !

Comment

• Originally posted by tamagurl87 View Post
                      is it the same kazakhstan that plays in jones cup?
                      It was the 2007 Middle Asian Championship. Probably the same team they sent to the Jones Cup later, then same team to FIBA Asia 2007.

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

• Originally posted by pilipinas02 View Post
                        all the facts and inquiries here...

http://china2009.fiba.com/
                        thanks for the site bro...

Comment

• Originally posted by talion View Post
                          why fourth? what do you think is lacking in the nt? and what qualities do the top 3 have that we can't beat them?
                          This is my observation (with all due respect to fellow Filipino that might get angry again)

based on Jones Cup result:
                          - we lack both inside and perimeter defense
                          - we lead Jones Cup in fouls and turnovers
                          - we didn't shot that good from the outside
                          - we have low assists since at some point we don't have a natural PG in court
                          - we dribble and dribble and dribble

the bright side:
                          - we discovered these before the real tournament in Tianjin and we only have couple of weeks to address them.

Comment

• Originally posted by FatFingerz View Post
                            This is my observation (with all due respect to fellow Filipino that might get angry again)

based on Jones Cup result:
                            - we lack both inside and perimeter defense
                            - we lead Jones Cup in fouls and turnovers
                            - we didn't shot that good from the outside
                            - we have low assists since at some point we don't have a natural PG in court
                            - we dribble and dribble and dribble

the bright side:
                            - we discovered these before the real tournament in Tianjin and we only have couple of weeks to address them.

indeed
                            AKO ANG SIMULA!!! BABANGON ANG PILIPINAS!!!

Comment

• RP winning over Sri Lanka should be easy. And Im not worried one bit. No upset.
                              Here's my case:
                              2007- Sri Lanka loses in regional qualifying to India 117-66, a 51 point margin.

India in 2007 defeats Indonesia by 6.
                              RP defeated India in 2007 by 35.
                              RP defeated Indonesia this year by 39 and 30.

Dont worry!
                              I expect only 60 point blowout. Why? Well, I don't think we will use all cards and strategy on lowly Sri Lanka. And, this RP team isn't as good as the one put together in 2007 in my opinion.

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

• let's just wait for the upcoming 2012 olympics and the 2014 WC...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information