Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though it's not till 2010, it makes me mad that if the World Club Championship were held next year neither the Lakers or Panathinaikos would be a part of it.

If they want this tournament to be taken seriously 2011 they'll have Euroleague and the NBA signed up.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Luíz for 3 View Post
      Teams qualified:

- Virtus Bologna (EuroChallenge champion)
      - Chalon Basket (EuroChallenge runner-up)
      - Universo BRB (FIBA Americas League champion)
      - Halcones de Xalapa (FIBA Americas League runner-up)
      - Primeiro de Agosta (Africa Clubs champion)
      - Mahram Tehran BC (FIBA Asia Clubs champion)
      - One team from Oceania (??)
      - Guangdong Southern Tigers as CBA Champion (????)
      Kinda blows without NBA or Euro champions.

Comment

Well if theres no NBA champs and Euroleague champs... it should be called World Club Champs Division II...

sigpic

Comment

Those are only teams from continental championships ran by FIBA.
          It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Originally posted by damelo View Post
            Those are only teams from continental championships ran by FIBA.

I got your point now... I guess if NBA and Euroleague wants to play in the World Clubs Championship then they should compete in the FIBA Americas League (NBA) and the EuroChallenge (Euroleague) first..

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by donmar View Post
              I got your point now... I guess if NBA and Euroleague wants to play in the World Clubs Championship then they should compete in the FIBA Americas League (NBA) and the EuroChallenge (Euroleague) first..
              Well, kind of. Another solution would be fo FIBA to talk with ULEB and NBA in order to bring the EL champs and NBA champs. Still, the NBA may not be prone to accept, as its organization is very different from the federal one used by FIBA.
              It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Well, kind of. Another solution would be fo FIBA to talk with ULEB and NBA in order to bring the EL champs and NBA champs. Still, the NBA may not be prone to accept, as its organization is very different from the federal one used by FIBA.

How about FIBA maintain the current format of the World Clubs Championship... then have a separate tourney between the EL champs and NBA champs or top four teams of each league... just a thought though...

sigpic

Comment

Actually at the moment it seems the NBA is closer to being in this tourney than Euroleague. Tentatively penciled in for 2011. FIBA's issues with ULEB is beyond me though.

Comment

I wonder what Puerto Rico is going to do with the America Club League because right now playing the semi finals who ever became champ and runner up are going to be seriously hurt for the America Club League. Reason, many players get contract to play overseas. Last year the runner up Gigantes de Carolina (they are playing right now in the semi finals) were not able to play last year in America Clubs Tournament because half of the team players went to played overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by cardenales View Post
                      I wonder what Puerto Rico is going to do with the America Club League because right now playing the semi finals who ever became champ and runner up are going to be seriously hurt for the America Club League. Reason, many players get contract to play overseas. Last year the runner up Gigantes de Carolina (they are playing right now in the semi finals) were not able to play last year in America Clubs Tournament because half of the team players went to played overseas.
                      the Americas Club League is a joke.

the american team was an All-star team from a semi-pro league, and the dominican team was just a team assembled for that competition, they didn't even play in any dominican league.

Comment

Those are the problems you face when trying to put together an international league between leagues with extremely incompatible schedules and calendars.

Comment

A discussion about the FIFA equivalent made me want to bump this up. Is there any more news about this tournament?

Also since it's lame to resurrect a topic for only one question, what's everyone's general feel about it? At first I was disappointed that the NBA and Euroleague weren't going to participate, but now I see it as an opportunity to potentially see the pecking order of leagues outside the big two.

Also how would you improve the idea aside from the obvious NBA and Euroleague inclusion?

Current roster of teams
                          Top 2 Americas teams
                          Top 2 Eurochallenge teams
                          CBA Champion (right now I want to bet on them )
                          Asian Club Cup winner
                          Africa Club Cup winner
                          Oceania champion (I'm assuming NBL champ)

Comment

as i can see its a rematch between spain and USA in the finals.
                            Spain team is superb over other European team. and the USA
                            is the usual power house.
                            Silicone bracelets are my favorite stuff when i play basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by blacklight View Post
                              as i can see its a rematch between spain and USA in the finals.
                              Spain team is superb over other European team. and the USA
                              is the usual power house.
                              Wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                                how would you improve the idea aside from the obvious NBA and Euroleague inclusion?

Current roster of teams
                                Top 2 Americas teams
                                Top 2 Eurochallenge teams
                                CBA Champion (right now I want to bet on them )
                                Asian Club Cup winner
                                Africa Club Cup winner
                                Oceania champion (I'm assuming NBL champ)
                                I'd say:

2 from Americas League
                                2 from EuroChallenge
                                1 from African Club Championship
                                1 from either Asian Club Championships, or West Asia League
                                1 from Oceania
                                1 from East Asia (there would have to be a playoff between teams from Korea, China, Philippines and Japan)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information