This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by roloj View Post
    Yavuz Gultekin, one of my favorites players of 2000 generation going to the States Next season.
    Big challenge for him, but I appreciate the new generation of players are eager to expand overseas although they generally don't find what they expected due to various reasons. He is not going to a random US High School. He is going to play along some great players. Immanuel Quickley-leading team is viewed as the top team in the region. He needs to crack the rotation there, but according to the report of scout.com, his coach is personally involved to his process after watching last year's European Championship and really like him. Players with great work ethics are always drawing advantages from the great opportunities there. I don't know Gültekin's character, hopefully he is one of those guys whose main focus is always on basketball.
    Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
    Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

• 2017 MVP: YAVUZ GULTEKIN, JOHN CARROLL (MD) 2019 WING

Gultekin made a huge splash in his DMVelite 80 debut, tying for the event scoring lead at 12.7 points per game while putting together a head-turning all-around performance.

The 6-foot-7, 190-pound lefty from John Carroll displayed a relentless energy to go with nice athleticism, but also impressed with his offensive efficiency. In three games for Team Red he finished a robust 18-of-21 from the field (86 percent), leading all players who took at least 16 shots. His 18 made field goals also led all players.

In his best game, Gultekin posted 18 points on 8-of-9 shooting in a 54-53 loss to Team White, and followed it with 16 points on 8-of-10 shooting in a game against a Team Black squad heavy on perimeter talent.

“I made shots and I went to the rim hard with my right hand and my left hand - both of them, it doesn’t matter for me,” he said.

A native of Turkey, Gultekin arrived in the United States just over two months ago, and in his first workout with Mid-Atlantic Select Director James Lee, it was clear he was ready to work.

“You could tell he was tired, but his motor just kept going,” Lee said. “Even though he was tired, he was going going at the same pace as when he was fresh, because his motor didn’t stop, and then he had a nice skillset and athleticism.”

Gultekin played up on the MAS 17U squad this summer, and after some initial adjustments to the pace and athleticism of the American game, he looks like he’s made himself right at home. He should add an interesting new weapon to a John Carroll squad that already boasts Five-Star point guard Immanuel Quickley and Rutgers commit Montez Mathis.

“They are so good,” Gultekin said of his new teammates. “I feel like I’m at home. My teammates, we communicate with each other and it’s like a family.”

Old Dominion was the first school to offer Gultekin a scholarship in July, and Kansas State offered on Tuesday after word of Saturday’s performance began to spread. They certainly won’t be the last.
      Originally posted by Fedfan
      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
      Originally posted by GuTO
      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• Comment

• Turk vs. Turk in the US:
          refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• thank you, JGX.
            so, it's Yavuz Gultekin from John Carroll vs Server Kurnaz from St Mary's Ryken. I had no idea, had to look him up.
            5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
              thank you, JGX.
              so, it's Yavuz Gultekin from John Carroll vs Server Kurnaz from St Mary's Ryken. I had no idea, had to look him up.
              Kurnaz is now at the University of Denver:
              Alperen Kurnaz (12) Forward - 2019-20 (SOPHOMORE) Appeared in all 31 games … started in 16 … logged 16.6 minutes per game ... averaged 3.4 points … 2.8 rebounds

Gultekin committed to Virginia Tech for next year. This season he is playing for a different high school, Bishop Walsh, along with Finnish prospect Olivier Robinson Nkamhoua and a mix of Canadians and Americans. I saw them play this weekend, which reminded me of this thread...looked to me like Gultekin is still trying to figure out his role within the team.

Comment

• You can find basketball try outs infos of the Turkish basketball clubs in 2019. If you interest in here is the info:

2019 Basketbol Se?meleri. T?rkiye'nin her yerinden (İzmir-İstanbul-Ankara) kul?plerimizin se?melerini yapacakları tarih, yer ve iletişim bilgilerini bulabilirsiniz

Comment

• Well if i may sum up our youth until to 2004...

Muhaymin Mustafa: has long arms, good defender, above avarage leaper, must work on his ballhandling skills. Second round draft is possible and a good 3 and d player is his ceiling. Played at the end of the season for Tofas.

Onuralp Bitim: great athlete but shitted on his career so far, didnt play in efes this season but still very skilled

Berke Atar: Was the bench center and played remarkable minutes in fiba CL and in BSL. Must be more aggressive

Mert Akay: very skilled passer very good work ethic and played with dacka some Euroleague games and BSL games. Selcuk Ernak said he wants to build dacka around him. big and only weakness is shooting. Very tall for a pg and has long arms.

Yavuz Gültekin: havent seen him for a very very long time. Wont probably come to the u20 tournement...

2001 (Guards top, Bigs Flop)

Ömercan Ilyasoglu, very skilled passer, moves like teodosic a bit, very smart 198cm tall only weakness is shooting.
                  Ömer Yasir Kücük: good shooter, very quick and a tremendously good ballhandler, especially his deadly crossover. Needs to work on his D
                  Tarik Biberovic: A mix of Bogdan and Bojan Bogdanovic 203cm tall, big torso, very strong, very good shooter, good in one against one. Should play more with fenerbahce next season.

Maybe one of our best generation

Tibet Deniz Görener: A 6 foot 8 forward, great shooting mechanics but cant create his own shots, Wingspan is 7.1 right now but cant use it on defense right now, sleeper athlete, has a fine first step but still very clumsy in ballhandling, needs to get stronger and must play tougher. Maybe our prospect with the highest ceiling of all time. Is playing in Montverde now. Clear first round draft potential

Sarper David Mutaf: Grew 6 cm this season and is 198 right now, hope hell get 200cm at least. Great shooter, has the killer instinct, ballhandling is also great, can be a very good euroleague player but must leave fenerbahce.

Aleperen Sengün. an unbelievalby versatile center with great body meachanics, havent seen such a dominant center under the rim since Enes Kanter. Shooting develops and great footwork around the rim with a great touch. Moves a bit clumsy like Jokic but our future under the rim. Carries the tbl team banvit kirmizi. Could be drafted when he maintains working.

Adem Bona: resembles Giannis more than his Brothers. 208cm, with a 220cm wingspan and runs like a guard. An elite shotblocker and rebounder but still limited in offense. If he maintains working and he develops very well clear lottery pick.

Batin Tuna: (pg) had a great season in BGL, very smart defender and an elite rebounder for his position, a leadertype player who is not afraid of taking responsibility, must work on shooting but is already a acceptable shooter

Koralp Türk: body shape reminds of Jokic, great soft release, very slow must wait his development. Was MVP of U16 tournement of turkey this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                    Well if i may sum up our youth until to 2004...

Muhaymin Mustafa: has long arms, good defender, above avarage leaper, must work on his ballhandling skills. Second round draft is possible and a good 3 and d player is his ceiling. Played at the end of the season for Tofas.

Onuralp Bitim: great athlete but shitted on his career so far, didnt play in efes this season but still very skilled

Berke Atar: Was the bench center and played remarkable minutes in fiba CL and in BSL. Must be more aggressive

Mert Akay: very skilled passer very good work ethic and played with dacka some Euroleague games and BSL games. Selcuk Ernak said he wants to build dacka around him. big and only weakness is shooting. Very tall for a pg and has long arms.

Yavuz Gültekin: havent seen him for a very very long time. Wont probably come to the u20 tournement...

2001 (Guards top, Bigs Flop)

Ömercan Ilyasoglu, very skilled passer, moves like teodosic a bit, very smart 198cm tall only weakness is shooting.
                    Ömer Yasir Kücük: good shooter, very quick and a tremendously good ballhandler, especially his deadly crossover. Needs to work on his D
                    Tarik Biberovic: A mix of Bogdan and Bojan Bogdanovic 203cm tall, big torso, very strong, very good shooter, good in one against one. Should play more with fenerbahce next season.

Maybe one of our best generation

Tibet Deniz Görener: A 6 foot 8 forward, great shooting mechanics but cant create his own shots, Wingspan is 7.1 right now but cant use it on defense right now, sleeper athlete, has a fine first step but still very clumsy in ballhandling, needs to get stronger and must play tougher. Maybe our prospect with the highest ceiling of all time. Is playing in Montverde now. Clear first round draft potential

Sarper David Mutaf: Grew 6 cm this season and is 198 right now, hope hell get 200cm at least. Great shooter, has the killer instinct, ballhandling is also great, can be a very good euroleague player but must leave fenerbahce.

Aleperen Sengün. an unbelievalby versatile center with great body meachanics, havent seen such a dominant center under the rim since Enes Kanter. Shooting develops and great footwork around the rim with a great touch. Moves a bit clumsy like Jokic but our future under the rim. Carries the tbl team banvit kirmizi. Could be drafted when he maintains working.

Adem Bona: resembles Giannis more than his Brothers. 208cm, with a 220cm wingspan and runs like a guard. An elite shotblocker and rebounder but still limited in offense. If he maintains working and he develops very well clear lottery pick.

Batin Tuna: (pg) had a great season in BGL, very smart defender and an elite rebounder for his position, a leadertype player who is not afraid of taking responsibility, must work on shooting but is already a acceptable shooter

Koralp Türk: body shape reminds of Jokic, great soft release, very slow must wait his development. Was MVP of U16 tournement of turkey this year.
                    As much as I love discussing our youngsters, not gonna call any of them as a lottery pick until they are one week away from drafting. Because all carry the risk of getting paid by Efes or Fener and being stuck on the bench

Comment

• Originally posted by okanial View Post
                      As much as I love discussing our youngsters, not gonna call any of them as a lottery pick until they are one week away from drafting. Because all carry the risk of getting paid by Efes or Fener and being stuck on the bench
                      I think we learned from our mistakes from our 95-97 generation. I think guys like bitim or ulubay are a good example for the future. Of course I was mentioning their potentials. What the outcome will be is a different question.

Comment

I think we learned from our mistakes from our 95-97 generation. I think guys like bitim or ulubay are a good example for the future. Of course I was mentioning their potentials. What the outcome will be is a different question.
                        if we indeed did learn our lesson, now is a perfect opportunity to implement it: give significant roles to Ilyasoglu and Saybir in the Euroleague! not in garbage time, but in crucial minutes so that we can see what they're made out of! and see if they're actually any good (I think Ilyasoglu is). As a person who witnessed Turkcan and Turkoglu take over games at the of 18 in the Euroleague, Tunceri and Arslan leading their teams at 20-21 yo, it depresses me seeing these bright guys sitting at bench at 20yo.

unfortunately, it's more likely that neither Ataman nor Obradovic will do such a thing. Fener does not even have any real prospects (Tirpanci maybe?). Biberovic is the only potential but he's not really our prospect, is he?

I completely gave up on Tofas prospects, as Ene will never amount to anything good as a coach in my eyes. and Banvit is closing down. What's happening to those kids?

Comment

• if we indeed did learn our lesson, now is a perfect opportunity to implement it: give significant roles to Ilyasoglu and Saybir in the Euroleague! not in garbage time, but in crucial minutes so that we can see what they're made out of! and see if they're actually any good (I think Ilyasoglu is)
                          I think they will maintain to play in BSL and in BGL next season. Saybir should take a more important role since he will be 20 next season. 2 years ago the situation was totally different. Our Teams had too much money, they spent it without control and now most of them are on the verge of being bankrupt. Ömercan is a skilled guy but he needs to work his shootings mechanics and he must develop his body then i am sure Ataman will give him enough Chances.

unfortunately, it's more likely that neither Ataman nor Obradovic will do such a thing.
                          In order to get a chance from ZOC you have two possibilities. Either you are very skilled or you are a serbian prospect. Either way you cant expect from Fener to implement turkish player. Tbh its a progress that he gave Melih a bigger role this season. But you must also understand your situation. It wont help you to sit on the bench for several years at this age, so you must leave this club and work on your skills and your body in a weaker club.

s a person who witnessed Turkcan and Turkoglu take over games at the of 18 in the Euroleague, Tunceri and Arslan leading their teams at 20-21 yo, it depresses me seeing these bright guys sitting at bench at 20yo.
                          As I said the situation was totally different. In these times winning against big teams and getting to the final four was nearly a miracle and nobody excect a bunch of people didnt care basketball at all. And airball Arslan was/is a catastrophy.

Biberovic is the only potential but he's not really our prospect, is he?
                          Well it depends on how you define a prospect. He was 16 when he came to fener. He is a Boshniak from Sandjak who was raised in Bosnia and he played for Bosnia in the U16 but now he has the turkish passport and will play for the turkish nt with 21 without being counted as naturalized.

There is still the brother of Can Maxim Mutaf who is called Sarper David Mutaf. He really is very talented and leads with 16 the bgl team of fenerbahce from the bench. He is right now better than a 2000 Tirpanci who will become a role player in the best case. But we dont need more contribution from Fener. Its actually very difficult to stay successful and raise prospects. The young guys must climb the stairs slowly and there is also no gain to take the risk for a young guy. This is exactly why Furkan Korkmaz didnt get many minutes and was loaned to Banvit.

I completely gave up on Tofas prospects, as Ene will never amount to anything good as a coach in my eyes.
                          Ene is a different story but Tofas prospects are developing. Especially Yigit Arslan had a very good season. Of course they cant carry a team but we already have our core of carrier/scorer. For me its important that we solve our playmaking problem in the turkish nt. I have big hopes for Ömer Yasir Kücük, Mert Akay and Ömercan Ilyasoglu.

and Banvit is closing down. What's happening to those kids?
                          Well Banvit wont support Bandirma anymore. It doesnt mean they wont continue. TBF, the City will surely find a solution. Its even better for the young guys if banvit becomes a team with lower bugdet. At the end we are in a better situation now for our youth. Chances are there they just need to work hard.

Comment

• Hey Toruko, first of all, welcome to the boards. it's nice to see users who follow and care about the domestic players.

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                            I think they will maintain to play in BSL and in BGL next season. Saybir should take a more important role since he will be 20 next season. 2 years ago the situation was totally different. Our Teams had too much money, they spent it without control and now most of them are on the verge of being bankrupt. Ömercan is a skilled guy but he needs to work his shootings mechanics and he must develop his body then i am sure Ataman will give him enough Chances.
                            you have a point, but I'm not sure if this is applicable to our league. Remember how the bankrupt teams our league were playing their 5 Americans over the domestic players for 40mpg until those foreigners left the team. There is no motivation for the coaches to take any risk.

In order to get a chance from ZOC you have two possibilities. Either you are very skilled or you are a serbian prospect. Either way you cant expect from Fener to implement turkish player. Tbh its a progress that he gave Melih a bigger role this season. But you must also understand your situation. It wont help you to sit on the bench for several years at this age, so you must leave this club and work on your skills and your body in a weaker club.

As I said the situation was totally different. In these times winning against big teams and getting to the final four was nearly a miracle and nobody excect a bunch of people didnt care basketball at all. And airball Arslan was/is a catastrophy.
                            Similar to the point above, I respectfully disagree. Our teams, successful or not, rich or poor, love to waste the domestic talents. I am NOT saying let's use the domestic players in EL to develop for the sake of playing. What I'm saying is there are a few exceptional prospects, and let's test them in the Euroleague. Really test. BGL or low level TBL competition is useless for a player to break out. Any way, I don't see this changing soon.

and Arslan was a great prospect, and he did quite well... until a point the sad thing is we still haven't been able to produce a single PG at his level.

Well it depends on how you define a prospect. He was 16 when he came to fener. He is a Boshniak from Sandjak who was raised in Bosnia and he played for Bosnia in the U16 but now he has the turkish passport and will play for the turkish nt with 21 without being counted as naturalized.

There is still the brother of Can Maxim Mutaf who is called Sarper David Mutaf. He really is very talented and leads with 16 the bgl team of fenerbahce from the bench. He is right now better than a 2000 Tirpanci who will become a role player in the best case. But we dont need more contribution from Fener. Its actually very difficult to stay successful and raise prospects. The young guys must climb the stairs slowly and there is also no gain to take the risk for a young guy. This is exactly why Furkan Korkmaz didnt get many minutes and was loaned to Banvit.
                            recurring theme, I completely disagree. Furkan would take 30mpg in the Efes of late 90s and would be much better player now. And Efes today is not aiming bigger than those days. Fener has a bit of a leeway, since they aimed for the very top and they had no prospect to begin with, but they didn't really try either.

Ene is a different story but Tofas prospects are developing. Especially Yigit Arslan had a very good season. Of course they cant carry a team but we already have our core of carrier/scorer. For me its important that we solve our playmaking problem in the turkish nt. I have big hopes for Ömer Yasir Kücük, Mert Akay and Ömercan Ilyasoglu.
                            if you saw my earlier posts, I was very optimistic about Yigit Arslan and Berkay Taskiran. If I'm not missing anything, they haven't done anything significant yet, are all still "prospects", and I feel bad for Tofas players who has to endure Ene. Sad story. Mert Akay, Kucuk, and Sehmus Hazer are really bright, I just hope they do not follow the same fate.

Well Banvit wont support Bandirma anymore. It doesnt mean they wont continue. TBF, the City will surely find a solution. Its even better for the young guys if banvit becomes a team with lower bugdet. At the end we are in a better situation now for our youth. Chances are there they just need to work hard.
                            I hope so. and I hope don't do what TED Kolejliler did a few years ago.

Comment

• Hey Toruko, first of all, welcome to the boards. it's nice to see users who follow and care about the domestic players.
                              Well, thank you. I am very interested in youth cause i like to see their developments.

you have a point, but I'm not sure if this is applicable to our league. Remember how the bankrupt teams our league were playing their 5 Americans over the domestic players for 40mpg until those foreigners left the team. There is no motivation for the coaches to take any risk.
                              I dont know how many BSL games you watched this season but this season the minutes and the responsibility of our young player increased significantly. To mention some names...

Yigit Arlsan, Kartal Özmizrak, Dogus Özdemiroglu, Berk Ugurlu...

Taskiran made at the end of the regular season a couple of good games. It is his first year in BJK before that he played two years in Giresun and improved his shooting, same goes to Berk Ugurlu who is about to sign with Tofas.

Similar to the point above, I respectfully disagree. Our teams, successful or not, rich or poor, love to waste the domestic talents. I am NOT saying let's use the domestic players in EL to develop for the sake of playing. What I'm saying is there are a few exceptional prospects, and let's test them in the Euroleague. Really test. BGL or low level TBL competition is useless for a player to break out. Any way, I don't see this changing soon.
                              Our guys are talented. I have no doubt about it but especially physically not ready. Especially guys like Mustafa Kurtuldum and Ilyasoglu need to bulk up massively if they want a role in Efes. We were very hasty with our guys and put them under pressure. I think its not the right way. What they need is at that age playtime and responsibility. We are not bad in bring up prospects but we need to improve our training methods. Micic made a jump with 23 in Kaunas.

And YES our main problem was always the guard position. We always had great bigs but our guards were average at best. Now our situation is even worse. We have a core with Cedi and Furkan but still no replacement for Ersan or even Semih Erden. Our only hopes under the rim will be Yurtseven(98), Berke Atar(99), Alperen Sengün(2002) and Adem Bona(2003)

I dont know one young prospect who can handle the physicality of BSL let alone Euroleaugue except Alperen Sengün. That kid is not even 17 and dominates the paint in TBL.

recurring theme, I completely disagree. Furkan would take 30mpg in the Efes of late 90s and would be much better player now. And Efes today is not aiming bigger than those days. Fener has a bit of a leeway, since they aimed for the very top and they had no prospect to begin with, but they didn't really try either.
                              Maybe i wasnt able to explain myself clearly. Late 90s it was way more difficult to make it to the nba. Efes could be sure that Furkan will be their player for the next decade and THATS WHY they would have done everything to make him better BUT it was clear that he would go to the nba. This is the reason why I understand the behaviour of efes referring to furk. Thats in fact the problem of Euroleague all promising young player goes to the nba without havent reached in Europe anything remarkable. The Hernangomez Brothers, Mario Hezonja, Dragan Bender, Furkan Korkmaz to mention some names.

if you saw my earlier posts, I was very optimistic about Yigit Arslan and Berkay Taskiran. If I'm not missing anything, they haven't done anything significant yet, are all still "prospects", and I feel bad for Tofas players who has to endure Ene. Sad story. Mert Akay, Kucuk, and Sehmus Hazer are really bright, I just hope they do not follow the same fate.
                              I only lost hope for Onuralp Bitim, Okben Ulubay, Emircan Kosut and Egemen Güven. We have to be patient for the others.

Comment

I dont know how many BSL games you watched this season but this season the minutes and the responsibility of our young player increased significantly. To mention some names...

Yigit Arlsan, Kartal Özmizrak, Dogus Özdemiroglu, Berk Ugurlu...

Taskiran made at the end of the regular season a couple of good games. It is his first year in BJK before that he played two years in Giresun and improved his shooting, same goes to Berk Ugurlu who is about to sign with Tofas.
                                I was watching a lot last year, but not much this year. First, it's not easy to get livestream, and second, I was quite pissed off to see 5 x 5 foreigners on each side playing among themselves. This really bothers me. I could only see Berk Ugurlu making a significant step forward, I must have missed the others.

Our guys are talented. I have no doubt about it but especially physically not ready. Especially guys like Mustafa Kurtuldum and Ilyasoglu need to bulk up massively if they want a role in Efes. We were very hasty with our guys and put them under pressure. I think its not the right way. What they need is at that age playtime and responsibility. We are not bad in bring up prospects but we need to improve our training methods. Micic made a jump with 23 in Kaunas.
                                Definitely. I am pretty sure Taskiran, Arslan and Ilyasoglu are top level prospects and they deserve more responsibility. I'm very optimistic about Akay and Hazer too, but not so sure about Kurtuldum, Ugurlu, etc. maybe they'll turn out fine. Physical disadvantage is an issue, though, true.

And YES our main problem was always the guard position. We always had great bigs but our guards were average at best. Now our situation is even worse. We have a core with Cedi and Furkan but still no replacement for Ersan or even Semih Erden. Our only hopes under the rim will be Yurtseven(98), Berke Atar(99), Alperen Sengün(2002) and Adem Bona(2003).

I dont know one young prospect who can handle the physicality of BSL let alone Euroleaugue except Alperen Sengün. That kid is not even 17 and dominates the paint in TBL.
                                True. Totally agreed here. Even though I'm surprised to hear Alperen is doing that well in TBL. Last time I watched him in u17 he was good...

Maybe i wasnt able to explain myself clearly. Late 90s it was way more difficult to make it to the nba. Efes could be sure that Furkan will be their player for the next decade and THATS WHY they would have done everything to make him better BUT it was clear that he would go to the nba. This is the reason why I understand the behaviour of efes referring to furk. Thats in fact the problem of Euroleague all promising young player goes to the nba without havent reached in Europe anything remarkable. The Hernangomez Brothers, Mario Hezonja, Dragan Bender, Furkan Korkmaz to mention some names.
                                Got you now. Fair point. NBA screwed up the entire Europe.

I only lost hope for Onuralp Bitim, Okben Ulubay, Emircan Kosut and Egemen Güven. We have to be patient for the others.
                                Right. Bitim and Guven's situation is even more sad, so much talent, all wasted (so far). Ulubay was known to be a risky bet, Kosut was meh. It's just they're the latest additions to the long list of wasted prospects. hence my pessimism. hope you're right.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information